Help – why isn't it working

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Help – why isn't it working

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  bigbooty 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Dear All
    Hope you don’t mind me joining in but feeling pretty desperate this morning. I am following this diet to the T. Being really fastidious about weighing and measuring on fast days and following three fast days every week. However! In the first week (23rd April was start date) I lost 5lbs (probably only water) but since then i have actually put ON 2lbs. I am stunned and saddened. I don’t understand my body anymore.

I am following the 16:8 rule as well and not cheating at all. The saving grace is that I feel tons better, its affecting what I eat in a positive way on non-fast days but I am concerned I am missing something obvious.

I find the fasting much easier than I thought – I really thought after all my conditioning growing up in the North that I would die if I didn’t eat regularly. But actually feeling hungry can feel quite nice and all my food tastes so much better now as I am savouring it. Not just shoveling it in!

What am I missing – am I expecting too much?

Hi Oxforddon, your body had to get back some of that water you lost. Be patient, this is a sustainable diet, it is about being healthy for the rest of your life, not a quick fix. Have a read of Simco’s piece about his trousers and hopefully you will see that it is worth plugging away for a while yet!
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/really-no-weight-loss/
    Cheers and best wishes!

Thanks Cinque I really need that reassurance.
    I do feel so much better but the lack of consistency was really getting to me.
    Will bide my time 🙂

While it would be nice if weight loss followed a smooth downward trend, I think you need to give it longer than two weeks before you can draw any conclusions.

If you are doing the fast days properly, and eating ‘normally’ (i.e. not overeating!) on non-fast days, then you will see results.

The average weight loss on 5:2 is 1lb per week or thereabouts, so 4lbs in two weeks is a good result!

Keep the faith, it really works!

OxDom,

What are you eating on your fast days? Avoid sugar like the plague (read the label on the packets!!) and simple carbs like pasta, rice, bread potatoes etc on your fast days. Go for protein like chicken or fish and fats like yogurt (high fat low sugar variety!!) or avocado. Then have lots of green vegetables rather than things like carrots or capsicums as they have a lot less sugar.

Hi Bigbooty and Happy Now

Thankfully I am not a great sugar junkie – even on non-fast days if I do need something sweet I’ll have an apple or a small packet of rainbow drops if really desperate. I have a spiraliser which is brilliant. I used to love pasta but know it does me know favours and find courgette spaghetti a god send. I think one of the things that surprises me most is how after a fast day I often don’t feel like eating too much anyway. I think this is why I am disappointed I haven’t lost more weight.
    Will keep going – thanks for the support 🙂

Like Happy said, about 1 pound per week is about average. I in fact averaged 0.7 pounds over the course of one year when I dropped 44 pounds. And it comes in spurts, not sure why but its definitely not the same loss each week.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.