Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,925 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  Neilithicman 2 days, 19 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,701 through 3,750 (of 28,029 total)

• Hi all, not too sure if I’m posting in the right place but have been on the 5:2 for the past week. Have found it easier than I thought it would be but it is still hard. It definitely gets you in a totally different mindset. If someone had told me I could go all morning with nothing to eat I’d have laughed at them. Have lost 1.5lb. Now looking at tasty meals to do on fast days and watching what I eat on non fast days.

Have found this forum really helpful and it’s great to see how other people are coping.

Thanks, Rosemount.

Hi Rosiemount, welcome, and yes, your mind set does seem to change, and that’s good. I’m finding that a very welcome change, and even look forward to fast days sometimes. Amazing.

Checking in this week, am reporting on my visit to GP. I have had high Blood pressure for some years and been on medication. On DR visits my BP reading was always still a bit up. Now in week 9 my BP reading was ‘perfect’, and GP said that we’ll look at halving BP medication a bit further on, as I continue on with 5:2 and hopefully later on getting off it totally. That would be good.

Hi Rosiemount. Welcome to this wol and congratulations on a good start! You will get plenty of support here, normally. Just seems to have gone quiet this week.
    Well done on the lowered bp Merry. I was able to reduce my meds significantly. Even tried none for a month, but need just a little still. That’s ok. Better to have a bit of medication rather than a stroke. I decided not to be bloody-minded on this one 😉
    Hope all SHs are cruising well. Cheers Purple

Hi all, I live in Melbourne and my best friend lent me the book as her husband had lost 8kg doing this (in quite a short space of time really). She is doing a degree to become a nutritionist and I was intrigued. Both my husband and I need to lose over 10 kg each – so we started last week in earnest!! Hubby has lost 3.5 kg in the first week and I have remained the same – however I feel much better and my clothes feel a lot less tight. Our goal is to look thinner and healthier in time for our 25th Wedding Anniversary in May!!

As my thyroid does not work and I take thyroxine, I have gained weight steadily over the past 10 years. I was always tall and skinny and got my figure back after both children – so to hit mid-30’s and have a weight problem was very new to me. I’ve never dieted before and I don’t consider this dieting either – it’s a lifestyle change that my husband and I feel we can stick to. Hubby is now 50 (and after stopping smoking 2 years ago has piled on the weight) and I’m 47.

We had our 3rd fast day yesterday and we both had terrible headaches. I don’t think it was a dehydration problem (as we drink plenty) but perhaps it’s our body ‘detoxing’ from all the sugar we’re now not consuming!! So the hunger pains weren’t too bad yesterday but I don’t like these headaches. We were also irritable – is this a side effect?

Cheers, Aussie Chick x

Hi Aussiechick and other newbies .. I’m also in Melbourne but unfortunately can’t get my husband into this as he’s a home dialysis patient and has been advised not to.. I’m getting used to doing activities on my own but he’s very supportive which is great (and honest without me feeling it’s a criticism!) Been doing this since September last year and have lost 11kgs and many centimetres (I’ve gone from a size 16 to a size 12 which I still find hard to believe.. I have averaged about 600gms loss per week.. Slow process ..I’m preparing myself to do Febfast which my daughter and I do every year and I also consequently go off all my social media (still will get my emails from this very supportive group!) I am convinced now this WOE is the way for me and for many others .. I seem to be plateauing at the moment so think I’ll stay off the scales and maybe return to them in a few weeks.. Keep at your new venture!

And yes.. Irritability is a side effect as is headaches.. And perhaps some nausea.. I don’t get any of this anymore so I guess it’s just the body adjusting..

Fantastic! see more visited : http://www.lossweightlossing.com

Hi Aussiechick

Welcome aboard this WOL. If you are drinking a 250 ml glass of water every hour without fail, then I guess it’s your body adjusting to sugar withdrawal. I have to measure my water or I don’t drink enough, even when I believe that I am. 🙄

My only irritability and tiredness on the 5:2 have been from withdrawal from sugar and processed carbs. I tend to eat lots of home made vegetable soup. No starchy vegetables on a FD and no thickeners added, but lots of flavours, including chili , ginger and salt. Works every time.

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Thanks for you posts Hootinannie and Bayleafoz – great advice! What a fantastic result Hootinannie – I too would love to go from a Size 16 to a Size 12. I don’t know whether I am taking in 250 ml every hour – so good point! However, the headaches seem to disappear as soon as we start eating again.

Love this forum 🙂

Hi everyone,
    I am brand new to 5:2 and today is my first fast day. I am glad there are other Aussies (and southern hemispherites!) encouraging each other.
    My GP recommended that I do 5:2 as she has had other patients who’ve had great success before, and her husband too! I have a LONG way to go.
    So – day 1 today, I am finding it tough to concentrate on much except “not eating”! This is scary how much I rely on food for diversion…work is very busy but I’m realising that I must break up the day with food rather than other things.
    I am going OK – 2 eggs at about 8am, and an apple at 1pm. Nothing now (except tea/coffee/water) until a small dinner. I am feeling really tired – others talk about how much energy they have when they’re fasting, but do some people feel tired and it’s hard to concentrate? Maybe it’s just for the initial fasts, then your body adapts.
    Thanks for your tips and ideas! 🙂

Welcome Ali

We all have different reactions, and the first few fasts are the worst. Once you are used to fasting, it is easier. It’s great that your GP recommended the 5:2. You will discover that people talk about all ways to live while fasting. It is best to read Michael Mosley’s book and do the basic 5:2 until you feel very comfortable as a faster. Just remember to have 250 ml of water every hour. I have to measure my water, or I accidentally cheat. 🙄 All the best with this way of life, WOL.

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Perhaps my irritability has been from cutting right down on processed carbs as you say Bayleaf as i really don’t eat much sugar (though I know it’s in just about every food!)So glad it’s a lot better as I’m a pain to live with at the best of times..i also have to keep an eye on my water intake as it’s just too easy not to have enough.. I was given a water bottle from Kleankanteen for Chrissy (no, I’m not a rep!) and it’s so much better then any other I’ve had..the flow rate from the top is excellent and I find that i drink a lot more in quicker succession than before ..I just try to have a bottle every 2 hours (800ml in the bottle) plus other mineral water/lemon etc as well..

Hi Annie

I found that by cutting right down on processed carbs and sugar, that I lost weight and cms quickly, as well as getting the benefits from fasting. I have reduced from size 16 to size 11 and am very happy with this. 😆

Cheers, Bay

PS. Newbies, please take the time to measure your waist, hips, bust, upper arms, thighs, because there will be weeks when your weight doesn’t change, but you will shrink. It is most rewarding to watch yourself develop a waist. 😉

Thanks, Bay…I’ve got Michael Mosley’s book and have read through it. I actually saw the documentary that started it all, when I was on an international flight last year but hadn’t followed it up.
    Is the regular water drinking really important, or just helps to keep the hunger down? I’m not hungry at the moment, but still feeling tired and a bit woolly headed.
    Thanks for replying! I’ll try to remember to do the measurements so I have a comparison.
    Cheers Ali

Ali, Drinking water helps to compensate for the water we don’t get in our food. It also helps to keep the hunger at bay. We don’t need to overdo it. Just make sure we drink 2 litres a day. Bay.

Hi to All,
    I started my program yesterday with my first Fast day and was surprised just how easy I got through my day. I will admit I was busy and went to the movies so I didn’t notice not eating. Also this Thursday will be my next Fast day and I again will be out of the house for most of the day so hopefully will get through this one.
    Also I noticed that I didn’t not wake up starving and was able to delay my breakfast for an extra hour this morning. Won’t get on the scales until next week as I don’t want to be disappointed. I live in NSW so yes it is good to know someone in this half of the world.
    Cheers

Hi there you lot, you might remember me as Tarkeeth but mother Nature back handed me and after 4 hospital stays in 3 months the last one over 2 months. With no internet I was missing dreadfully our chats and advise and wondered if anyone had thrown a HissiyFit and left but I was so happy to see posts BY PVE, Happynow, IHW, Charlie G, Bayleafoz, Simcoeluv and other old hands, not meaning long in the tooth!
    When time was dragging I, and this is serious stuff from me, often thought of you all and even that wasn’t enough to depress me.
    So last week I made my escape just to catch up with all the news on the forums.
    Found I couldn’t log on and JJ at head office Tech helped me but still no go hence new handle.

Any how its great to be back and feel part of our family again.

Cheers,
    Tim.

Hi Tim:

Welcome Back!

Hi Tim!! So great to hear you’re back with us, even with the new groovy name you’ll always be one of our crazy group of fasters.

Also nice t hear from Charlie, bay and PVE. Glad to hear everyone survived the holidays and are back into some more focused fasting days…it’s so hard with all those chocolates and treats around during Christmas and New Years.

Hello to all of the new people, just remember that the first month or so is the hardest, but the rewards in great health and weight loss are definitely worth it!

This morning I weighed in and have shrunken to 26.4kg less than I was when I started 21 months ago! Yay! Getting much closer to my latest goal of 60kgs. This was a weight that I never thought was possible when I started, back in April 2013. Back then I was hoping to get to 75kg! Ha! Boy, was I underestimating the power and strength of this amazing way of life! This intermittent fasting caper really works….no bull, just great sustainable results!

So cheers everyone, keep up the wonderful work!

G’day Tim!!!!!
    So thrilled to pop on the thread and find my old mate! I have been SO worried about you and didn’t know what to do. Even considered driving up to Bellingen to search for you.
    I didn’t think they could keep you locked up forever. 🙂
    IHAW will be suggesting some sort of dance to celebrate….I’ll have a drink for you. Hope you are progressing well and enjoying life.
    Keep us up to date please.
    OH and I continue on 5:2. Have been maintaining for 9 months now. And appreciating the benefits.
    Cheers Purple (the original !!!)

Hello and welcome other Purple ;(
    Were you born in ’51 and 63 years old? AND live in NSW? Hmmm…sounding familiar!
    Purple Vegie Eater/ Purple/ PVE /P

Evening everyone, love reading all the posts at the end of the day.
    Just thought I would share some of my tips:
    I used to keep a jug of water on my desk at work to be sure I was drinking however now I make sure I get up every half hour/hour and refill my glass – this way I am also increasing my steps. I also use a straw when drinking as this makes me drink more.
    I drive about a hour to and from work and take a water bottle with me to drink on the way there and back – this has me drinking 1.5L at least.
    I also find that I only start eating, whether it be a fast day or “normal” day, when I am hungry. This might mean that I don’t eat until 11 or later and then try to stick within the 8 hour period.
    It is wonderful, no matter how hungry you think you are when you go to bed, you don’t wake up hungry.
    I invested in a Vitamix and make myself a green smoothie on fast days – approximately 200 calories and gives me about 4 glasses to spread throughout the day – extremely yummy.
    Good luck everyone I really enjoy the comraderie on this site
    Jilly

Thanks Jilly
    Interesting points. There is a wealth of knowledge out there . 🙂 Purple

Yes I’m a Pisces and live on the Central Coast.

Just up the road! P

Hi Tim

Welcome back. 😆 Great to see you’re back with us. We wondered where you had gone.

I’m feeling fantastic, IHAW, as I fasted for 22 hours today. Then only ate my chicken dinner. All else was a cup of coffee, and lots and lots of water. I’m back in the saddle again! 😉 Off to Melbourne tomorrow.

Congratulations IHAW. That’s a fantastic achievement. 26.5 kg lost. Wow!

Cheers, all. Bay 🙂

Well done Bay! Have fun in Melbourne. 🙂 Purple

Some great tips Jilly! I’m intrigued as to what you put in your green smoothies? I make one in Wintertime when my fejoia trees are fruiting and there’s kale in the garden but haven’t made a ‘summer’ smoothie

Tim! You’ve come back. We’ve missed you!

Hi Hootinannie

I make kale my main ingredient as it is supposed to be a “superfood” not quite sure what that means exactly, however I know it is not doing me any harm.
    I add 1/2 orange, 1 x kiwifruit, 1 x pear, slice of pineapple and some water. Blend it up and I take it to work and it lasts me most of the day. When I add the calories it is not usually more than 250. This leaves me 250 to have for dinner if I want.

Most of my smoothies are a variation of this, just change some of the fruit, tend not to use bananas too much on a fast day as they are fairly high in calories.

good luck

I’ve had a successful fast today,and it is about time I managed to get myself back on track. I’ve found the school holidays difficult as I am home even more than usual, ie more temptations! In a couple of weeks I am starting some part time study so I have high hopes for my fasting on school days.

Do you know what I did today to keep myself busy? I cooked! I find it hilarious and ironic that I frequently cook to keep myself busy. I made some mango and nectarine ice cream. Looking forward to trying it tomorrow. I did a huge batch of spaghetti bolognese sauce and froze it in portions. And I made a blackberry, oats and yoghurt cake. It’s actually a muffin recipe but I prefer not to stuff around with fiddly patty pans. Another thing I’m looking forward to tomorrow!
    HB

Hey guys! I’m from London, and im a personal trainer! My main motive is to help people get fit and lose weight! Reason being i used to weigh 104kg and now im 62! It took me around a year and a half for this extreme make over! But it was worth it! Feel free to message me if you’d like tips or anything! 🙂

Logging in…..
    Week10 and went down 0.4kg by weigh in this week. Week 9 I went up 0.5.. So, out of the 10 weekly weigh ins on 2 of them I’ve gone up a bit.Week 7 was up 0.3kgs. But….and it’s an important but…. During those weeks I was battling eating too much bread on non- fast days.

A bit of history: About 30 yrs ago, it appeared that I was reacting to some foods, with diarrhea, constipation, painful abdominal bloating, headaches, irritability, muddleheaddedness, and some other things and wheat seemed to make me irritable etc. I have ADHD, and about 65% of us have food intolerance and food allergies, and a few grain things I seemed to binge on. I spent quite some time with a hospital dietitian doing a full elimination diet. Result: I am intolerant to all grains except corn. All bring on a range of yukky symptoms, including what I had previously diagnosed as arthritis. If I eat wheat all my joints in my hands to shoulders, and sometimes knees and ankles, swell, and ache, and with my hands it’s hard to close a full fist. I am also intolerant to all foods with amines in them. Amines are a naturally occuring chemical in food. Salicilates is the other big baddy for food intolerant people, but I’m OK with that one. I also have reactions to various added chemicals eg nitrites, and sulpher based preservatives. When I did the challenge on that one I fell asleep within 1/2 an hour and slept for 20 hrs. The kicker in all this, is that for me, the grains all had an addictive componant to them, so whenever I did a challenge on a grain type, I reacted then had to wait 5 days for the symptoms to subside, but was fighting the addictive thing for those full 5 days, and eating 1 thing that had this addictive quality meant I craved all the ones I had this reactive symptom to for the full 5 days. No I’m not coeliac – had the full testing for that, and even stomach biopsy shows no coeliac response.

So…..2 things I’m thinking…..My food intolerances have lessened in intensity, over the years as my life stressors have decreased. I still have reactions to the same list of things, but less severe. But…. It seems bread and grains still have that addictive thing for me along with other symptoms, so I can’t include them on non-fast days.

2nd thing, I’m wondering if new people who have headaches, tiredness, irritability etc on fast day, may have similar food intolerances that they didn’t know about. For this type of intolerance the reaction is delayed by, say, 1 hr or 2 hrs, and then the withdrawal symptoms start. The delay in the symptom showing up, is what fools us into not connecting the food with the withdrawal symptom. It’s called a withdrawal symptom because if you eat the food again, the symptom often goes away, then starts again 2 hrs later e.g. Like a caffiene withdrawal and needing cup of coffee or coke etc.

Food for thought anyway.
    Merry

Merry this makes so much sense to me .. and answers a question I have been wondering this week about my symptoms. I’m hoping these will subside in time, because I really am loving the weight loss. Thanks for taking the time to post this 🙂

Hey Jilly.. Thanks for the tips on the green smoothies … I’ll put that on my recipe memory bank… Merry, a relevant post for me atm as I’ve been wondering if I’m a little ‘gluten intolerant ‘ or something .. I’ve been trying to lay off the bread (yes, love my bread!) this past few weeks but don’t really know if it’s made a difference.. Post fast this morning decided I will have wheat toast with a poached egg.. So, I should get some kind if a reaction within a few hours? Just been wondering if it ‘bloats’ me.. I don’t want to become one of those phoney holy ‘oh I’m allergic to this and that’ it will drive me insane lol

Not that I’m implying you are Merry! *oh Gawd… Foot in mouth*

Not sure if you have read earlier posts Hoot and Merry….
    After years of eating gluten free products my OH tried my homemade organic sourdough wheat bread. He has no problem with it and as it is so satisfying we eat only small quantities. It keeps a week in the fridge. It is completely different to shop bought sourdoughs, which have yeast added and flours of doubtful origin. As it takes 24 hours to make, the gluten is broken down.
    Worth the effort. Give it a go. Purple 🙂

My gluten intolerant guinea pig has given my sourdough bread the thumbs up so he agrees with Purple’s OH. So today after a morning at work I’m off the my big smoke (so it only a small country town but has had traffic lights for about a year now) to donate plasma and haunt the op shops for a clay baker for my sourdough bread baking. I’m after one of those Schlemmertopf casserole dishes, my MIL had one back in the 80s I think… I’ve been told they turn up in op shops.

Hi VM
    Glad the sourdough worked out. I’ve made the last couple of loaves in a normal bread loaf tin…letting it rise for a full 12 hours overnight. I put a bowl of water on the oven to create steam and wrap it in a teatowl when I take it out. Makes better shaped slices for toasting.
    Enjoy stopping for a red light in the big smoke!! 😉 P

VM & PVE… Gee haven’t made bread since my old hippy days! I’ll give it a go…I’ll see the recipe in your past posts PVE?

Yes and yes Hoot!
    I feel I’ve returned to my alternative lifestyle time in the late 70s 😉 P

Hi HAnnie, LOL… no offence taken,I know exactly what you mean. If I really have to say something I usually just say I’m on a medical diet, and people stop trying to push food onto me. If I’m invited for a meal and ask about food, it’s easier to say what I can have, or I just say nothing and put up with the symptoms afterward, or I just don’t eat various bits.

HAnnie- look for a consistent pattern of a symptom turning up the same time after you’ve eaten or drunk the same food. There is an old book called ” Not All In The Mind” by Dr Richard Mackarness that gives info on this sort of intolerance. If you’re thinking wheat or gluten, it could be the wheat itself, and/ or gluten and / or yeast.
    Merry

No worries DragonFly. Hope it helps. Really loving the weight loss too!!
    Merry

Hi Purple, thanks for the reply and the suggestion. It willhelp some others. I’m afraid I’m one of those boring people who just hit the food intolerance jackpot. I react to the wheat itself,the gluten, and the yeast in yeast bread, and the other stuff they add in processing. Rye, I’m allergic to, and even when I eat a gluten free bread I will still have a reaction to some brands. I’ve learnt to mostly get by without grains in all their forms. The dietician even said I was the 1st person they’d ever seen who reacted to rice. But thanks for your reply, I do appreciate it:-)
    Merry

🙂 I remember those Schlemmertopf thingies.Always wanted one but couldn’t afford it.They were supposed to be really good.

Understand Merry
    One of my sons has gone completely grain free. Drives his wife crazy, but he does most of the cooking. This is not the son who is vegan!!!
    OH has found his intolerances have changed since losing so much on 5:2. We have been maintaining in the low healthy range since last April and he has been able to reintroduce all sorts of foods. Bodies are dynamic, so who knows? Some time in the future…?
    Good luck with it all. Lots of great foods out there. P 🙂

Did a check yesterday on straight wheat/ gluten as in crackers, pastry, cake through the day. Yep, was reaching for the crackers for no reason but compulsion last night. Bread with yeast in it is always my worst, especially if it’s wholemeal. Rice is non- reactive for just about everybody, and it’s the grain I have the highest threshhold for, so it’s back to the occasional rice cracker for me, and making sure I take B vitamins.

Very very Simple info for people to follow up on if they want to.
    Coeliac have problem in the stomach wall. Intolerance is in the intestine walls. Allergy is an immune system response.

Intolerance sometimes has a threshhold level that can go up and down over time. Eg 30 years ago I reacted badly to sulpher preservatives e.g a few sips of wine or a small piece of friut cake and I’d be asleep soon after. Now I can do both but not more than that quantity.

All this stuff can get pretty complicated so if you suspect coeliac, allergy or intolerance, best to start reading and gettting tested, seeing dietitian etc.

I’ve never heard of Schlemmertopf but I have a Romertopf which used to belong to my Grandmother. Are they the same sort of thing? I’ve only ever used it for roast chook. Does anyone have suggestions for its use beyond chicken?
    HB

Purple, it’s interesting what this way of life does isn’t it. My intolerance threshold s have gone up a bit over the years, especially with less stress, Your OH’s response is encouraging. My OH is doing 5:2 as well, and has Familial Hypercholesterolemia, and a 30 yr heart history, and has had his own diet regime. Between us we’re working out what to eat when and how we differ in what we need. I can see that it will be easier for me to be on this and manage my intolerances more easily.

A vegan and a non- grain …. Interesting Christmases Purple, and I sympathise with your DIL. It’s quite a journey till you get used to this stuff. When the children were still at home I was working with 4 different dietary regimes on a somewhat low budget. Brings back the memories. My daughters both love cooking so at Christmas we let them loose in the kitchen. 1 is IBS and Uses Fodmaps and they’re used to all the challenges we have, and they grew up with 2 different ‘common’ food streams happening each day, so we also find ourselves eating all sorts of different foods. I find Middle Eastern and Indian food a big help, and quinoa is in and chia is out. Love the idea of kale shakes. IBS daughter bought a Nutribullet and says it’s brilliant at helping her, and interestingly also says limiting her food intake helps.

Cheers, lifting my glass of bubbly water!
    Merry

Hi HB Ah the Romertopf….I can’t find mine. I’ve only ever used it for chickens too. It would be possible for bread, but the proper cloche has a very high domed lid and a flattish base. Meant to keep the steam in to allow a better rise. After spending the money on one, I have now gone back to my old bread tins!

Yes Merry. It IS interesting what changes occur in our bodies. OH has reversed his insulin dependent diabetes through 5:2. He now controls it with very careful monitoring, 2 fasts a week and dietary changes…much more leafy greens. SE Asian food is our go to.

You do wonder what I did to have kids who eat so oddly. Then again, they ARE definitely individuals! At Xmas we just have ‘a bring your own if you eat kinky food’. 🙂

I’m enjoying, at last, after many, many years, being able to share a loaf of bread with the fella. P

Viewing 50 posts - 3,701 through 3,750 (of 28,029 total)

You must be logged in to reply.