Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,912 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Intesha 1 day ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 23,501 through 23,550 (of 28,016 total)

• Good morning,

Thursday fast day for me, and a lovely morning here, but a cold front on the way. I had better write quickly and go out to soak up some sunshine.

Anzac, it was great to read about your work with the tall man. Having computery relatives means I have actually heard of Visual Basic. What a great collaboration you have going on.

I am sad you missed writing out of your career (so far) but you must be proud of how good you are at what you do. Elegant.

I am so glad you have your physio appt. I do know how easy it is to fall into the bad, painful posture. I am also trying to get myself into better habits.

My sister gets the ‘New Scientist’ and sent me a great article about looking after our immune systems. Along with exercise and not smoking was intermittent fasting.

Quacka, hooray for feeling 99% better and lungs working well. Good luck getting the last 1% sorted and getting those hips feeling better.

I do hope it was a good meeting with the bosses. Fingers crossed.

Yay Penguin, nothing like a good cup of tea. Sending more good wishes.

Thin, yes, the blower does just move all the leaves to the road.And it takes about 30 minutes of that nasty noise to work around the flats.
    I’ve already seen an update on Tom Moore’s wonderful fundraising on facebook, the radio and the TV news and they are saying 10 million pounds now!

LJoyce I hope you are feeling more energetic today. I have wondered if I had the tiredness side effect after my flu vaccine I got last week.

Well, all those tuna mornays sound good! I wonder which way Betsy decided to go.

Yes split peas (especially the green ones) were the only pulse we had growing up. Split pea soup and soup mix! And really the only other way we ate them was tins of baked beans.

Hoping today s a good one, for all of you. I’m going fasty fast day. Anzac did you have a good one?

Cheers all.

Cinque, thanks for sharing the info that IF is helpful for our immune systems. I feel it’s more important than ever that we look after ourselves. If we emerge from this unscathed, there’ll be no use being overweight and depressed. I read that 25% of Covid-19 deaths had obesity as an underlying factor. Just more statistics really but sometimes it’s fun to latch on to the snippets that suit us. Have a wonderful FD.

Tom Moore! What a legend. £12m. My brother and I have been trying unsuccessfully to access the site to donate.

Stay well, stay strong.

Hi all, just a quick check-in, as dinner is calling my name – OMAD today, but a CD.

Thanks for all the interesting suggestions re tuna mornay, LJoyce and Thin. I’ve saved them all, and I also found one in a cook book. Haven’t decided which one to do yet, as I am missing ingredients for all of them. But, I will definitely buy what I need to do it. Like the idea of corn and peas instead of celery. Is it okay to use marg instead of butter? I’m guessing so.

Good to read all the posts, will write more next time, but hope LJoyce’s physio treatment has done the job; hope Anzac65’s will also have a positive result, and really pleased to read that Quakka is now at 99% health and breathing well enough to go on a long walk.

Keep well all!

Good morning,
    Cool and grey here, but lovely to have a slow breakfast after a good fasty fast day.

I saw your post, Quacka, as soon as I posted yesterday, but had to leave it to answer today. It is so awful to be worrying about your job. I hope the news has come now and it is just what you hope.

Cheers for your beautiful start to the day yesterday!

Thin, it was amazing to read that Tom Moore’s webpage crashed. All cheers for him finishing his circuits and doing so brilliantly.

Betsy I bet you enjoyed every bite of your one meal, I did with my miso soup.

Well, I am in charge of starting the zoom meeting with my sisters in a couple of hours, wish me luck (I am capable of every possible mistake).

Sending best wishes

Good morning all. Hot (33!) and sunny in Brisbane, after a beautiful cool morning.
    Hope you are getting back to your old self Penguin (minus gall bladder problems of course).

Anzac, it’s interesting where our careers take us. You seem to have found a perfect place in the banking industry … I read about your work with awe. I too left school early because of pressure, and went back as a mature age student, before ending up in journalism here and in the UK. In fact it’s where I met my OH … he was my chief of staff. If your desire is to be a writer, start to write (that’s what my OH tells his U3A writing class). No academic qualifications required – just a need to tell a story. I think, from your posts on this site, that you would be a very entertaining writer.

How did the ‘big talk’ go Quacka? Great news, that you are feeling so much better. When you are well, you are better able to deal with things, I find.

Thin, leaf blowers! aaahhhh! My newish neighbour adores hers. A leaf falls, and she’s on to it! Never see her pulling a weed, or clipping a bush, or planting a flower. Just those leaves. Her gardening is a bit of an eye opener. On a lovely leafy bush block, she put little white picket fences around all the natural garden edges. I saw that a lot in China – so as she’s Chinese, not surprising I guess.
    OH has what he calls ‘the enforcer’ which is of the same ilk, but I pardon him for using it because it vacuums up leaves etc and turns them into mulch for the garden.

LJ you are right about home office negotiations. My workplace is adamant about it …it even states very clearly in the Remote Working Policy that the employee must meet any additional costs. Not a problem for me – I am well and truly set up after working for so long on my PhD – but some of my colleagues weren’t equipped, and have incurred expenses they weren’t expecting it.

Thin that’s how we were taught to cook a blond roux too, back in the day. I think we used to add a pinch of nutmeg too. And like you, my white sauces never fail.

On that note, back to the editing. Sigh.

Happy weekend all.

Hi everyone.

I’m getting a bit stir crazy here. The weather has been bad for the last few days so I haven’t been out for a ride and I’m itching to get out. I’ve got my hands full motivating a couple of reluctant students to do their school work. Next week will be my first time working from home so I’ll have to balance doing my work, checking the boys are doing what they’re supposed to, and doing what needs to be done around the house. Wish me luck

Have a good day everyone.

Neil, I do wish you luck.
    Not wishing to sound like a doomsayer, but my DS and DIL are really struggling with the working from home, keeping the 5 and the 2 year old occupied. She’s a teacher, so from next week is back at her workplace. He works in the creative industries – nothing like a 5 year old practising his karate moves while you’re trying to write….or having a 2 year old crawling on your lap, ‘giving daddy a duddle’. My DD and SIL are in the same boat. She’s negotiated to work from home til 3 when he gets in and takes over the 4 and 6 year old. How she’s going to manage home schooling on her work days is testing. I guess like everyone else they’ll manage, but it’s frustrating that at a time they need us most, we can’t help.

And as I never seem to discuss the reason for this forum in most recent posts (probably because of how badly I am doing it), I have started today with a very focussed eating schedule. Here’s my one FD tip to get through the hungries. I get a cup of frozen beans and nibble through them. Only 38 calories, and eating them takes long enough for the munchies to pass.

Back to it. Good luck!

Betsy, purists would probably say use butter but I’ve made white sauce successfully with margarine, definitely OK.

Lindsay, all the best with your renewed efforts today! Ha ha re: the neighbours’ gardening endeavours.

Cinque, that’s the second time I’ve heard ‘zoom’ mentioned today. From the context of both, I’m thinking it must be a skype conferencing type thing.

Managed to make a donation to Captain Tom’s fundraiser. My brother received a receipt; I didn’t. Now at £17m. Disappointed in the BBC coverage; they’re really scraping the barrel for new angles on the story, so trashy. And why are there so many errors in their minute by minute updates? OK if you’re chatting to mates on whatsapp, no dire need to edit, but not good enough for a worldwide, highly respected news service. I wish they’d spend time editing one decent news piece instead of churning out all this endless stuff containing so many mistakes. One more thing, why does every single BBC news article have to contain a paragraph reading, “It comes as ……”. End of whinge.

I was asked to write a story for a narrow boating magazine. Looking at past copies and seeing so many mistakes (sorry, I can’t call them ‘typos’, it’s just sloppiness), I’m dreading seeing my perfectly punctuated copy in print containing their inevitable editing mistakes. OH jokes that having an article printed in that magazine would be like having syphilis on your health record. Sigh. Poor DD submitted an article for the Australian Veterinary Journal as a student and, when printed, it contained two spelling mistakes that she hadn’t made.

Neil, I have every faith in you.

Have a wonderful day all.

Good morning all.

The current restrictions have had an uncomfortable outcome. My uncle passed away on Thursday from cancer. He’d been admitted to a nursing home 2 months ago, but his family had not been able to see him once they locked the nursing home down about 5 weeks ago. They did call my aunt to come in when they saw he was failing, but unfortunately she didn’t get there in time. He had a very long and full life, which is a blessing, but not having family near at the end has been very traumatic for my aunt and cousins. It reminds me that my sister and I were both there with each of our parents in the days and hours before they passed and it feels unfair that my aunt and cousins didn’t have the comfort of that time and contact. I also hadn’t appreciated just what an impact the current restrictions have on how we grieve and provide comfort.

Take care everyone.

Really sorry to hear that Ljoyce. That must be so hard. I hope you can find some way to contact them virtually during the restrictions and then give them a big hug once the restrictions are over.

😢

Oh LJ I am so sorry to hear of your sad news. It must be so difficult for your aunt and cousins, to not have this final goodbye. The passing of a loved one brings back many memories, and I am sure you are feeling the pain of not being able to be there to provide comfort.
    Take care

LJ, I’m very sorry for your loss and the added difficulties of the lockdown.

Good evening all, hope you’re doing well.

Sorry to read the news of your uncle’s passing, LJoyce; a very difficult situation made harder by our current restrictions. Heartbreaking for the family.

Thin, thanks for the tip re marg instead of butter. Haven’t made the tuna mornay yet – it will be tomorrow’s task. Have also chatted with a couple of friends who have larger families (not hard when I’m a family of one! 🙂 ) and have frequently thrown together tuna mornays. Among you all, I’m sure I’ll end up with something edible – and if I don’t, that will rest on me!

Thin, hadn’t seen the death statistics, but I had read that a high percentage of those hospitalised and in intensive care with Covid-19 were in the obese range, so definitely something to spur us on to maintaining diligence with this WOL.

Quacka, what was the news re the job?

Neilithicman, even if you can’t get out for a ride, at least try to get outdoors, even rugged up. It’s another thing which is said to improve mood, just being among nature. Good luck with WFH from Monday!

LindsayL, yes, WFH seems to be a real challenge for some people, and managing the children is a major part of it. A lady I’ve spoken to is having major problems even getting her kids to do their schoolwork, whatever she tries.

Cinque, good for the confirmation that IF is good for the immune system.

Anzac65, have you been to the physio yet? Has your neck improved?

Penguin, hope the yellow skin colour is now fading, now you’re had the gall bladder procedure.

Hi to anyone else who’s been hovering!

Keep well all!

It is a sweet sunny morning in Melbourne,

LJoyce, my heart is going out to your family, especially your aunt and your cousins. https://cf.ltkcdn.net/dying/images/std/221723-675×450-condolence-card.jpg It is such a sad hard time to be isolating, and you must all being feeling the loss with such a sharp edge. Hoping you can find some lovely ways to comfort each other.

Quacka, this makes me think of you too, have you been able to keep in good touch with your parents?

Neil, now I am thinking of your mum too. I hope the weather has been better in your part of the world.
    I hope work from home is easy for you. And that you can set your cheeky sons some interesting puzzles and games this week that can count as school work but still keep them focused. Lots of luck.

Ooh Lindsay, it is too hard to be full time work and full time child care. I do hope they work out a safe way out of this as the very first part of easing restrictions.

Cheers to you for a good fast day, and I hope your cup of frozen beans saw you through. Are you feel very pleased with yourself this morning? I hope so!

It is fast day for me today. I did a supermarket shop early yesterday morning and it was quiet and I got everything I needed. So I do have some frozen peas I can use if needed. But I am feeling it is going to be an easy day (touch wood and whistle).

Thin, yes zoom is a video conferencing thing that has really taken off because you can see and talk to lots of people at the same time and it is easy to set up. I say laughing, after our first ‘sisters zoom session’ was like this: https://www.sbs.com.au/news/the-feed/work-meetings-during-covid-19 haha (Hope you have enough internet to check it out).

Are you tempted to take over as editor of the narrow boating magazine? Beautifully written articles are such a pleasure to read.
    Oops just remembered I haven’t had a chance to read your blog, other than the most recent story. As I recovered from overdoing things, I did my trick of getting dehydrated enough to feel I was trying to do everything after three weeks stuck in a desert. All hydrated now, and feeling SO MUCH better. So I will gradually catch up on the priorities, and then the pleasures.

Haha Betsy, the whole world is waiting with bated breath to find out how that tuna mornay goes. Good luck!

My broad beans are up! Well, 9 of them are, which is most of them. Also I am managing to grow a warrigal green from seed, to replace the old one, which must have eaten every bit of nutrient on its pot (although I bet it has put roots down through the holes at the bottom and into the soil). The tiny broccolini seems to be surviving, and the spinach, chard and rocket are taking off. And it is another sunny morning to get those butternut a little bit riper. The vine is starting to die, but I will leave them til the last minute.

Cheers to everyone today. I hope you don’t have the disorganised eating that is so easy to fall into when stuck at home. Lovely fresh healthy meals, with nice space in between to get properly hungry! Except in my case, and Thin’s probably, and other Sunday fasters, we’ll have a big empty day (but plenty of liquids 😉 )

Cheers now

Hi all, hope you’re well and enjoying a peaceful Sunday.

Ha ha! Cinque – I will certainly let all of you know if the tuna mornay is a success, though. I’ve been told they’re almost impossible to mess up, so sounds just right for me.

Really haven’t anything much to write at the moment, so – have a lovely day!

Good afternoon everyone

Thankyou so much for your sympathy. I spoke with my aunt yesterday and she’s decided to just have my uncle cremated this week without a funeral and then hold a memorial service later, once it’s ok to have a big gathering. I think that’s very sensible and I also think that it will be easier for the family to view it as a celebration of his life – which can be difficult when grief is still fresh. I’m planning to go up and visit my aunt on Tuesday – we sit outside at a distance, but being able to chat face to face is good for her (and me).

I had an excellent week of very low cal days, but it fell into a screaming heap yesterday. I had too many extras in the afternoon and in the evening I ended up opening and eating an entire bag of easter chocolates I’d been given. Those excesses have left me with a headache today. I’m doing a normal FD and then plan to go back onto the very low cal days again.

Take care all, enjoy what’s left of your weekend.

LJ, my deepest sympathy on the passing of your uncle, to you, your aunt and cousins.
    https://memorialhaven.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/avasflowers-white-lily-sympathy-bouquet_max.jpg
    Visiting your aunt on Tuesday, even with social distancing, will be a comfort to her. I’m sure this pandemic disruption only makes this sad situation feel worse. Hugs to you.

Penguin, I’m happy to hear you are home and feeling less pain. Is your skin color going back to normal? I hope you can get lots of rest and not overdo it while you’re healing. It’s good to see your posts here.

Betsy, good luck on your tuna mornay. I had to look up a recipe. It’s similar, but looks much nicer than what we call tuna casserole here. That recipe uses a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup, small shell pasta and either corn or peas and often celery.

Neil, I hope you can settle into some type of routine with working from home and homeschooling your boys, especially with the weather getting colder and more rain. We all hope this virus will pass soon, but in this country, the leveling off still doesn’t look very good to me, especially on our east coast. They are calling for limited opening of businesses but without enough tests, how do they track that? Some of the governors opened beaches yesterday, not for congregating and sunbathing, but walking and surfing. The pictures I saw didn’t look like social distancing. I fear the results in a couple weeks. I hope my fears are unfounded.

Thin, how flattering to be asked to write articles for the narrow canal boat magazine. I’m sure they will be interesting as what I’ve read of your blog so far is very entertaining. I also hope you get the final proofreading before it’s published.

Anzac, learning at university isn’t everything as you’ve demonstrated by having a very successful career in the banking industry without it. Your job sounds very interesting and creative. Many, many people end up in jobs that are different than what they set out to do years ago. I didn’t finish uni either but ended up in a job I loved, some of it just by luck and accident.

Quacka, glad to hear you are feeling better. I hope your meeting with your boss goes well this week. This pandemic is disrupting a lot of companies. Maybe some of it is good as it causes us all to look at things differently.

Lindsay, your daughter and son and their spouses aren’t the only ones having a difficult time with WFH and dealing with homeschooling. I can’t even imagine juggling both. Social media here is filled with posts about the difficulties. I wonder if using something like Zoom with their actual school teachers would work at some point, at least for older students? More teachers and smaller classes?

Cinque, how did your Zoom visit with your sisters go? Was it easy to set up? My sister’s office uses Zoom for office meetings which is nice while she’s working from home.
    Yesterday LJ and I had a long visit via FaceTime on our iPads. It was almost like having her visit as I was able to walk outdoors with the iPad and show her some of the Spring Blossoms that are starting to appear. It was nice being able to see faces and expressions while talking. Also funny to realize it was Saturday evening here and Sunday morning in Australia! I had to leave to pick up pizza while she was thinking about morning tea.

I read an analogy on social media about ending the stay at home quarantines that so many in the US are complainIng about:

The curve is flattening. We can start lifting restrictions now.
    Or..
    The parachute is slowing our rate of descent. We can take it off now.

Good Morning all – 4.30am Monday. Have been up since 2am after yet another night of minimal sleep. Happy belated Easter everyone.

Well here I go again, more doom and gloom. Since my last post OH has been made redundant. Unfortunately because we were both made redundant and received small payouts we are not eligible for any government benefits at the moment. OH has to wait 11 weeks before he can apply and my wait is even longer. So we’ve gone from a 2 person working household, both on reasonably good incomes to absolute zilch. OH’s employment package also included a new 4WD dual cab ute so that has now gone and we are down to one car, which is not such an issue at the moment, however my sedan is too low to tow the caravan so there’s another problem as the van is currently with the repairer (due to a slight mis-hap with OH’s reversing into the van driveway and shed – Ooops) and will need to be collected soon once repairs are complete.

I guess this all goes to show that we should never become complacent. Life can turn on it’s head in the blink of an eye. I’m trying to maintain some positivity. With both of us home (and MissD on school holidays) we are working through all the outstanding house, landscaping and sorting jobs. OH is super keen to get them all done so we have been putting in 12 hour days. I put my foot down yesterday and demanded we have today off. The exercise and hard work is no doubt good for me in one way but it’s physically exhausting at the same time and I need a break.

Neil, I empathise with you on the home schooling. MissD was home for 2 weeks before the holidays started and although she was motivated to do the work, she became very cranky when unable to work something out or didn’t understand the question. I did my best but have to admit I struggled with some of the maths and had to sneak away and use the calculator for some of the questions. Geez I didn’t realise Grade 7 math was so difficult – lol. The old ‘use it or lose it’ certainly applies I guess.

Was also saddened by Tim Brooke-Taylors death. The Goodies – timeless comedy on so many levels, can watch it over and over and never get bored and laugh till my sides split every time.

Study ? What study – Haha. With OH’s obsession with the home chores I haven’t even looked at my study since my last post here. I’ve decided on the weekend that it’s really not important in the big scheme of things and concentrating on my health and wellbeing and ensuring we maintain a happy household is where my priorities should lie. At the end of the day they are only 2 short courses and being qualified in them will not assist in future job prospects. I enrolled because my workplace (oops – former workplace) gave me the option to take some training which they paid for as part of my redundancy. I have the workbooks and the programs for both courses so can easily complete them at a later date, at my leisure, without the need to submit assignments and the added pressure that goes with completing study within a set timeframe. At this point in time it’s too much effort just for 2 pieces of paper to say I’ve completed the courses. As long as I complete them at some stage and acquire the knowledge and skills that’s all that really matters.

Ljoyce so sorry to hear of your Uncle’s passing and hoping you are managing okay. And Penguin, also best wishes for your health. I’m with you Neil, the only parts I have missing are wisdom teeth – apart from occasionally loosing my mind that is.

During our clean out of the car shed we came across a brand new Cribbage board which OH didn’t realise he had. It has been so long since either of us played that OH can only remember some of the rules and I can’t remember any at all. This was my Papa’s favourite game and I have fond memories playing with him and the family when I was very young. I have to search the internet to find the rules as we are both itching to play – perhaps our day off today might be the day.

How’s everyone’s toilet paper situation going? Since the start of the panic buying, all the supermarkets here have limited stock. Unfortunately, since the shelves are re-stocked overnight, stocks are all gone again first thing in the morning when the shops are only open to the disadvantaged groups. By the time the rest of us get there it’s all gone. OH did manage to get a 4 pack from a local deli at a ridiculous marked up price last week and we are about to open that last 4 pack. Good thing we are surrounded by gum trees and it looks like it’s gum leaves for us very soon – Lol.

The sun is about to rise so I will head off for a morning walk shortly. The mornings are cool but we are still having days in the high 20’s and low 30’s which is doing wonders for the seedlings in the vegie patch. We race out each morning and then look again before dark to see how much everything has grown. I kid you not, we can actually see the growth difference over a 12 hour period.

Hope everyone has a good start to the week.

Good morning from a wild, windy Melbourne,

Day after fast day, lovely and light. Ate my breakfast with relish (metaphorical not the condiment 😉 ).

LJoyce, so glad you will be having a cuppa with your aunt tomorrow. I do hope the weather is lovely for it. And won’t you all be able to plan the best memorial.

I also hope you are nicely over your screaming-heap-day, and your headache is gone.

Cali, we are getting our zoom chats more and more organised. We have had three now, and it was only our first one that was like the skit. We are taking turns in starting the meeting, and I am the only one who isn’t using it for other meetings, so I was pleased I managed it all without trouble. We’ve also got better at sitting in a flattering light etc. haha.

Aren’t our time differences mind bending.
    It must be pretty mindbending for you too, to be living in a country where there are such different responses to the coronavirus on state and federal levels. It is bewildering to me that people think trying to keep business as normal will be best for the economy, when the disease and the outfall of it (even if you don’t consider the loss of precious lives) will disrupt business badly anyway, and business/economy is paranoid and self destructive when times are not stable. Better to accept reality and manage it safely.
    What a good analogy the parachute one is.

But Gday, you are at the pointy end of the economic suffering brought about by this pandemic. I am so sorry Mr Gday is out of work. Times are dreadfully tough, but what good priorities you have to see you through.
    Ooh dear, good luck with the toilet paper, I thought the whole issue had settled down. I have been fine all along as my daughter bought a bulk carton a couple of weeks before the pandemic hit us, and I just get mine from her. I am presuming that by the time we get through it she will be able to get another one https://au.whogivesacrap.org/ They are out of it at the moment!

Ooh my mum had an old cribbage board from when she played with her dad, and I loved playing it with her.
    Also, my sisters reminded me that we first knew Tim Brooke Taylor from a radio show called ‘I’m sorry I’ll read that again’.

Hoping you had a lovely dawn walk, and that you might get a little nap during the day and a lovely restful sleep tonight.

Sending best wishes to everyone, for a gentle, mindful day whether it is a 5 or a 2.

Hi Everyone. I have returned after over a year away from the forum, the isolation/lockdown is adding on the KG and whilst I’m still exercising I need to get better control of my eating.

I’m on a fast day today of 500cal, and will do another fast 500 day this week, I will also be not eating after 7pm at night on other days as I’ve slipped back into a habit of snacking after dinner.

So here I go – I’ve made it half way thru the day – who else is fasting today?

Good evening friends

LJ I am so sorry to read about your Uncle. My Mum was in hospital with heart palpitations when she died and my Dad didn’t tell us that she had been admitted until it was too late for us to visit and she died that night. It haunts me to this day. Your poor Aunt and cousins.

G’day, oh no I’m so sorry that your OH has also lost his job and you are still not sleeping well. What a totally awful time you are having and it just doesn’t seem fair that you have to wait for Government assistance.

Lindsay, such lovely words and you really have inspired me to start writing. Thank you! What do you enjoy most about journalism? The writing or the chasing down of the stories? Or both? I do feel for people like your children who are trying to cope with WFH with kids. It’s bad enough having an energetic dog mugging me for play time – but he sleeps for most of the day so it’s not so bad.

How lovely that you and LJ had a catch-up Cali. I have enjoyed a couple with my family and also a couple with some of the labrador friends folk. What was the job that you ended up in that you loved?

I will have to post more tomorrow as OH has just hollered for some help with dinner.

Good evening everyone.

Sunflower, welcome back. I hope your first FD went well. You are not alone is finding that isolation result in more snacking – it’s been worrying me too.

GDSA, you really do have more to cope with than is at all fair at the moment. I think delaying the study and concentrating on more important things is very sensible. I hope that one or both of you can find some work soon, although I know that must be very challenging at the moment.
    Talk about a coincidence, my Papa’s favourite game was cribbage too, although I’m not sure I can remember the rules these days as I haven’t played it as an adult.

Cali, thankyou for the lovely flower and the chat. I really enjoyed being able to talk face to face.

Anzac, sorry to hear that you weren’t able to see your mum before she passed on. I am worried about how it will affect my aunt and cousins, as even though they knew my uncle was dying I suspect the lack of contact will add to their grief.

Cinque, Yes thankyou, a day of little food and lots of water cleared the headache.
    A couple of weeks ago you mentioned putting henna on your hair and I said that yes I needed to colour mine too. To prove just how slowly I move these days, I finally got around to it this morning.

Neil, I hear your lock down is being lifted and you are going back to level 3 restrictions. Does that mean schools open again?

I finally motivated myself to get out into the garden this afternoon and cleared out all the spent veggie plants. I’ve kept the eggplant and will attempt to nurse it through the winter – I’m hoping a wall of broad beans will protect it from frosts. I’ve also left the remaining climbing beans on the vines to dry so I can collect seed for next year. I sprinkled the seed heads from the parsley and basil around in the hope that they will pop up next year without me needing to plant them. I’ll need to source compost and straw later in the week so I can put my cauliflower and broccoli seedlings in. I’m a month late, but hopefully they’ll still grow.

The FD yesterday went well, but today ended up as a NFD around TDEE, not a low cal day as planned. I think I might just need to stick with 5:2 this week, I don’t think I’m in the right frame of mind for anything more severe.

Good evening everyone. I had a real blowout eating yesterday – including one of my Easter eggs, so today has been a very strict FD – about 320 cals, and that’s it for the day. And, alack, haven’t made the tuna mornay. Discovered that I needed condensed soup, which my canned soup was not, so bought some condensed asparagus soup today and I’ll make the mornay later in the week.

GDayfromSA, what a lot of challenges you’ve had to face over the past few months, and now both you and OH have been made redundant. I have many memories of playing cribbage with my father, but no longer remember the rules as it was a long time ago -in the ’80s.

Anzac65, a friend and I have decided we need to catch up via Zoom soon – I’ve been told that the free version allows for a 40-minute conversation, so we’ll see how we go. Cinque, I hope it won’t be too much of a mess the first time Helen & I try.

Sunflower1, welcome back!

CalifDreamer, the only condensed soup I found at the supermarket was the cream of asparagus, and that’s the one which was in my recipe, so I’ll see how it goes, but cream of mushroom would also taste yummy.

LJoyce, a later memorial service celebrating your uncle’s life sounds like a lovely idea. One blowout in a good week shouldn’t be too much of a disaster, surely.

Keep well, everyone.

Day after FD for me with a modest 500g loss but I’m at my lowest weight this year so no complaints here. Cinque, I did respond to your post-FD breakfast eaten with relish this morning but lost my post and gave up in disgust!

CalifD, thank you for your kind words. I loved reading about you and LJ having a video chat. Do you have any Netflix recommendations for me? And, as you loved ‘Outlander’ so much (remember my recommending that to you all that time ago?), I wondered if you’d like ‘Unforgotten’ starring the brilliant Nicola Walker (Spooks). It’s a cop drama and has nothing to do with Outlander, other than the fact that I’m recommending them both. The latter’s on Netflix. I can’t recall the first two series but just finished series 3 and it has some outstanding acting IMHO.

LJ, hope the time spent with your aunt was good. Of course it was.

Neil and LJ, I finally have two planters for the roof and bought some lettuce and tomato seeds. I also dried my own pumpkin seeds. I’ll let you know if I have any success.

Welcome Sunflower.

Sorry, I can’t remember what else I wrote so I’ll just say stay strong and have a wonderful week.

Morning all

Well we are indeed moving to level 3 after ANZAC weekend as LJoyce mentioned. The kids won’t be going back to school until we move to level 2, which should be around 2 weeks after that. The good things about it are we are able to reconnect with extended family so I’ll be able to visit my parents. I’ll also be returning to the office so that will be good for my sanity, but the best thing according to my 13 year old is that fast food restaurants will be open for takeaways and deliveries. He turns 14 the day after we move to level 3 and he’s already booked in KFC as his birthday dinner.

Thin, that sounds great watching veggies grow in the garden is always exciting, keep us posted on the success.

Gday, sorry to hear about your OH losing his job. I don’t think he will be alone, the talk I’ve seen is that covid 19 could trigger the biggest worldwide unemployment since the Great Depression. Even with the early and strict lockdown that NZ has had, restricting us to just 7 weeks or so of lockdown, predictions are that we could hit 15% unemployment, and we will have got off lightly compared to the rest of the world. I read that since Covid 19 hit over 3 million people have signed up for unemployment welfare in the USA😢

Welcome back Sunflower. I hope your fasting went well. I fasted the last 2 days and I’ll be having a control day today before my weigh-in tomorrow. I definitely needed the fast days after a week of more snacking and no riding. I did get out twice last week for a run with my boy for his PE class, got a 1 hour walk on Saturday when the rain lifted for a few hours. But the weather was really nice on Sunday and yesterday so I went out for s thoroughly enjoyable 2.5 hour ride on Sunday and just over an hour yesterday. I’m now over 1900 kilometres for the year so my goal is in sight now.

Cali, I get really sad when I see how Covid is being handled in the states. Trump seems to be pointing fingers at everyone else (China, WHO and state governors) the business leaders were calling for the restrictions to end, stating that a couple of million deaths would be worth it to keep the economy running, people are out protesting having to be in lockdown in some states. It really makes me sad that so many are putting their own selfish interests ahead of the lives of the most vulnerable.

Well I’d better go and start my second day of working from home, have a great day everyone and I’ll check in with you all tomorrow for my weigh-in results.

Thin, thank you for the recommendation of “Unforgotten” on Netflix. I’ll have to look at the ones we’ve watched and see which are on Netflix, but one that comes to mind is “The Messiah”. It may have taken a couple episodes to get into it, but I think the trailer gives away too much of the story. We all liked it. Another is “The Stranger” which is 8 episodes.

Gday, I’m sorry to hear about your husband losing his job. There are so many people in the same situation around the world because of Covid. I hope he is able to find something or that the system for unemployment funds changes. These are troubling times.

Neil, each state seems to have different rules for stay at home here, but takeaway was always allowed in California. We used it for the first time last week from a favorite Italian restaurant. I was happy to see that they were very busy. Covid is being handled poorly here in that the president knew about it back in January but did nothing about ramping up materials for testing or any of the protective devices needed for the health care workers. The story seems to change daily about ending the lockdown and all the details surrounding it. So many new cases are occurring daily, especially in NY and on the East Coast. A couple of the governors have opened beaches when this thing still running rampant. The protesting and disregard for people’s lives is appalling. The whole situation here is very disturbing.

Good morning, a clear, still, lovely morning here,

Sunflower, welcome here! It is definitely a good time to get back to 5:2 and no food after 7pm on NFD’s. Oooh the slippery slope and so much more slippery when stuck at home. How did your fast day go?

Anzac, I am so excited that you are inspired to do some writing. Go for it.

LJoyce, thinking of you visiting your aunt today, with your hair looking lovely and the weather looks good for Adelaide according to News Breakfast.

Nice work in the garden. Good luck with the eggplant, I hated pulling mine out (but not enough space to try keeping it). I am doing similarly with seeds. I know parsley and marigolds will self seed madly but I have collected two pods of beans and I am still hoping for basil and chicory. Tomatoes and pumpkins come up via the compost, and so has a capsicum! It came up last month and is so happy and strong I will nurse it over winter and hopefully find out next summer if it is a bell pepper or a chili!

Betsy, sympathy, but there’s a blow out day done and dusted, and hopefully the rest of the week will be a lovely one without excess.
    That tuna mornay is getting close.

Thin, ooh I miss that post you lost. Grrr narrow boat internet!
    Cheers for your tiny boat garden, it will be lovely to pick things for your meals.I hope the pumpkin goes great guns climbing around the deck!

So delighted that it is starting to look as if Covid19 cases in the UK have peaked. Fingers crossed.

Cali, fingers crossed even harder that the US will peak soon, and that all those mad protests don’t set off cluster outbreaks.

Neil, hooray for KFC birthday celebrations next week. And being able to visit your parents and get back to the office. I do hope the local weather lets you do all the cycling you want to, soon.

Ah well, I had better head off and see what I can do today. I think it can include some sitting in the sun. Best wishes all.

Thank you everyone for your encouragement on my fast day. It went well and having the 500 cals helps me to see it through. I will do some normal and 800 days and 1 or 2 500 fasts per week. Today is an 800 day. My thoughts and wishes for you who are going thru tough times.

Hi everyone

Firstly, sorry about your Uncle, LJ. I hope you and your family are coping ok through it all x
    I am expecting to be going through the same thing some time in the near future although I hope the restrictions will have eased a bit so I do get to see my father before then. We are also thinking of having a big memorial for him later as it will be impossible to decide who gets to go to a funeral and who doesn’t as I am one of seven siblings and a huge extended family. Of course he may outlast our expectations, hopefully!

G’Day, sorry about the really rough time you are also going through. It’s good that you have been able to keep busy at home although a break day is also good!

Well, last Thursday I had ‘the’ meeting with my bosses and manager. After all the indications that the lady boss had previously made to me, they did another back flip and reduced my working days to three days and my wages to the Jobkeeper allowance only. Anyway, long story cut short, after another meeting they back flipped again and have reinstated my wages back to normal. My working days are also back to normal, but I am only required to come in if there is work to be done. I feel more positive about work again now.
    The stress of the last week or so has taken it’s toll on my already compromised health. I had a sore throat all weekend and started to self diagnose using the ‘very accurate’ google. I thought I may have had reflux except I wasn’t refluxing anything (that is a Quacka word, you know. LOL) It started with this lump in my throat like when you want to cry but you are trying not to, but it had nothing to do with crying. Then my glands came up and my tonsils ( I think) were swollen. My whole throat felt tight and even my neck was sore to touch. I was expecting to be making another trip to the doctor’s today. OH suggested I gargle with salt water which I did and I also bought some Cepacol mouth wash and today I feel much better. Still not 100% but on the way I hope.
    Yesterday morning I thought I had better check my blood pressure also as I know stress can have a big effect on that. (Cali, I hope yours is going ok). It was really high. I checked again in the afternoon and it was still high. This morning, still high. I made myself relax and do some breathing for a few seconds and tested again and it was perfect. I think it was a carry over from all the stress but I will be monitoring it again for the next few weeks.

I’ve still been exercising and I did my FD on Monday. Another one tomorrow.

Stay positive everyone and look after yourselves. x

CalifD, thanks – we just completed, ‘The Stranger’ (another great Spooks star, Richard Armitage, in that one). Spoiler alert: can you please tell me how Tripp’s ‘disappearance’ was explained in the ending? i.e. I know what they implied happened to him from ‘the meeting’ on the football field but how would that have been justified to his family, etc? What did I miss?

I liked your parachute analogy the other day; it’s interesting as several European countries eased their lockdown measures yesterday. I honestly can’t believe how absolutely THICK some people are. We’re now on the outskirts of suburbia and needed some essential supplies. We donned our masks out of respect for the shop keepers. Stores seem to be doing the right thing, limiting customers, spacing them 6ft and so on but more than one person ‘crowded’ me in the aisle, one person apparently thinking that by tiptoe’ing past me with a stupid grin on his face, it might actually negate the 6ft distancing requirement. Another almost touched me. We were relieved to retreat back to the boat.

In spite of them, there’s a glimmer of hope from the UK. There are decreased hospital admissions, empty beds and 1 in 5 ICU beds are now free. The death rate has dropped dramatically.

Neil, nice to have some good news from NZ, enjoy getting your sanity back but commiserations on KFC re-opening.

Friends in WA have told us that the border may be closed for another six months. Despite the very low death rate in Australia, the financial ramifications will be devastating, such is our reliance on China. I’d like to see us start manufacturing high quality goods and stop acting like a colony digging up raw materials for export. One way or another, we will paying dearly for this so why not put Australians into work and end our reliance on Chinese products. My simplistic view!

Quacka, glad your work situation is better, sorry for your health issues and the problems confronting your family about your dad.

So much negativity everywhere so stay strong, stay well.

Tragedy. I hit a rock on a rough trail on my bike and I’ve busted the front derailleur. Now I can’t change gears so my bike is going to be in dry dock until at least level 2 which is around 3 weeks away. After that I’ll probably be waiting a fair while to get it serviced because there’s been so many people riding their bikes during the lockdown. And I was only 100 kilometres from my goal too 😢

Oh bugger Neil, what a frustrating thing to happen. At least you didn’t fall off and hurt yourself (silver lining?)

Bad food day today….tomorrow must be better. I had to cancel physio yesterday due to work issues and I ate to make myself feel better about the pain in my neck. But of course it didn’t make me feel better one bit.

Sorry to hear about your ongoing health issues Quacka and the sadness of not being able to see your Dad.

Welcome back Sunflower – you sound like your head is in the right space. Awesome

So glad the UK has finally turned a corner. Now we just need those drongo’s in the US who are protesting to wake up to themselves.

Have a great evening all

Good evening everyone.

It seems as if some folk, at least are doing well, though sorry to read of the bicycle mishap, neolithicman. Lovely gardening and hair stories, and some relaxation of restrictions, which is lovely to see. Gently gently does it here.

Thin, I think the powers that be here have realised the need for Australia to be more self-sufficient, and there’s talk of moving in that direction, so maybe your thoughts have wafted in their direction already. Food is not a problem, we have 24 million people and produce enough for 75 million, but other products are needed.

Interestingly, the TP panic seems to have subsided. I was in a local supermarket today and there was plenty available. Pasta and hand soap still a bit low, and hand sanitiser has been unavailable for several weeks, but generally more normal.

Had to laugh yet again – one guy in Adelaide tried to get a supermarket refund for his 150 packs of 32 rolls of TP (i.e., 4800 rolls) and 150 1 litre bottles of hand sanitiser. The supermarket refused 🙂

Had the ducted heating people here today to look at a leaking problem in a couple of ducts (which are under the house) – they will be replacing several ducts for me next week, ouch! Need to have it done before winter hits, though, so better sooner than later.

Keep well everyone.

Well weigh-in went well, down 1.2 kilos from last week back into the 87s at 87.7. One more week of lockdown to try and keep my weight down then hopefully I can start returning a bit more to a more normal routine.

I had seen the story of the guy trying to return the tp, I worked out if he used 2 rolls per week he had enough to last 46 years. Talking about the toilet paper, this German comedian/musician/artist’s observations always make me laugh and he did one on the toilet paper shortage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_07B4K1klgU

I’m have a post weigh in non fast day today and then I’ll be back on some more close watching of my snacking. I’ll have to find something else to do for my exercise for the next few weeks. I was doing pretty well with running with my boy when he was doing his PE class so maybe I’ll try to do a bit of jogging. Last time I tried to do jogging I was starting to make progress on my fitness and that was when I was 22 kilos heavier.

Have a great day everyone and stay safe.

Good morning,

Sunflower, woot! for your first fast day back, and exciting times to be sticking some 800 calorie days in their too. That will make you feel you are really getting somewhere, and if it starts getting unsustainable you can ease back to plain and simple 5:2.

Quacka, so good to hear from you, and that your workplace EVENTUALLY made sensible provision for you.
    I do hope you feel better soon. You could still be having a post viral reaction from that dreadful illness you had, and as you say, at the very least your immune system will still be compromised. If it doesn’t get better, might it be a good idea to hassle your doctor for a Covid 19 test again, now that they are testing like mad?
    Hoping you are a lot better today, though. Your throat and your blood pressure.

The relaxing of restrictions are getting tantalisingly close, and I am so hoping it won’t be long before you can spend some time with your dad. Sending lots of good wishes for that too.

Hi Thin, yes, it will be interesting how countries change manufacturing and health services after seeing the effect of this crisis.

Neil, have fun jogging, look after your knees! Is there also a way you could put a call out in your local community to borrow a bike for the next week or so? So many people have unused ones in a shed.
    Woohoo, nice loss, that must feel good.

Anzac, so sorry you had to cancel your physio, I hope you can get another appointment quickly. Make this a good food day, it will be much better for your neck than a bad food day!
    PS Does it help your neck to just lie on the floor for 15 minutes. This was recommended to a group of us with CFS and Fibromyalgia by an Alexander technique practitioner and it is so gentle. https://alexandertechnique.co.uk/learning-it/semi-supine I don’t even need a book under my head. It makes a wonderful difference when I have back and neck problems.

Betsy, good move getting the ducted heating fixed right now! I hope it is done quickly and easily.

Well, fast day for me. I don’t think it will be a lovely easy one like Sunday, but it will get done. It is just one day.

Cheers all.

Hooray, I watched some YouTube videos on bike repair and I learned enough to be able to jerry rig up the derailleur so I can change gears. The rock had knocked the derailleur too low and out of parallel. I fixed it up, it’s a bit buckled and will need to be replaced when I can, but it’s good enough that I can change gears and should last me for the 3 weeks until the shops open 😁

Good morning all.

I’ve had a slow and relaxing start to the day after a busy one yesterday.
    I saw my aunt yesterday and she wanted help with some errands. Thankfully I had a face mask in the car so I was able to put that on while I was in the car with her, which I hope provided some protection for us both while at such close quarters. She needed to go the bank to advise them of my uncle’s death and ask about the joint accounts – which she can thankfully keep using during the long probate process. Then the chemist for her scripts and then we had various people she wanted to deliver parcels to (birthday and easter gifts that had piled up and she hadn’t been able to get them to people). So we had quite a drive around the hills and she got to sit in the car with the doors open in various driveways while friends got to chat with her for a while. It did her the world of good. The viewing-cremation is Friday afternoon and I will be collecting her to take her to the undertaker for that. Given the very limited number allowed, I wasn’t sure if there would be room for me, but my cousin insisted that I was in their limit of 10, which is very nice of them.

My eating did not end well yesterday as my cousin sent home my Haighs easter eggs (one larger one sitting on a dozen mini eggs. After my chocolate dessert binge last night there is only the larger egg left. I just kept going back for another handful until all the mini eggs were gone. About as far away from mindful behaviour as I can get. I feel like stamping my feet in frustration, though I doubt it would help. The only saving grace was that I was out and about for most of the day so apart from the chocolates and an omelette for dinner I ate little else.

Anzac, I hope you were able to reschedule that appointment. I have a few simple exercises and finger pressure techniques that I can use on my neck at home that my physio taught me – they can be invaluable to me between appointments. When you do have that next appointment it would be worth asking your physio if there are things they can recommend that you can do at home to reduce the tension build-up in your neck. If he/she isn’t able to do that, I will try to describe what I do if you think that would be helpful – not that easy without pictures, but I’ll try.

Cinque, good luck with the FD, I hope it ends up much easier than you fear.

Thin, it’s a mixed bag here too when it comes to the behaviour of other people. The moment anyone comes too close to me in a public place I take a big step backwards or sideways to get away from them and they immediately recognise that they have come too close and apologise – usually with “sorry I forgot”.
    I think your WA friend is probably right about the closed borders. I saw an interview with the health minister about a week ago who said that international travel would be unlikely even by Christmas, but the sate borders within Australia were likely to open with fairly free travel well before then. If Winston Peters is to be believed the border between NZ and Aus may be part of that open border group too.

Neil, did they show that Winston Peters interview about opening the borders with Australia over your way too? If both countries can get their new cases down to zero and keep them there I don’t see why that wouldn’t be possible.
    Commiserations on the bike. Hope the jogging goes well – keep those knee and ankles safe if you have uneven footpaths.

Betsy, I hope those heating repairs aren’t as expensive as you fear. Although a very necessary repair before winter.

Cali, they reguarly show a graph on our tv that compares 6 different US states. It’s clear that California is doing better than many of the other states on that graph. I am concerned about Florida easing restrictions given their infection rate and the number of retirees that live there.

Sunflower, I hope your 800cal day went well. I’ve gone into a few of those lately with the best of intentions, but ended up at my TDEE instead.

Quacka, the constantly changing messages cannot be helping your stress levels, but I’m pleased to hear that they’ve ended up with a sensible solution. I hope only going in when there’s work for you to do, means you also get a bit more time at home to recover from your recent illness. It sounds like yo need more recovery time. I also hope you are able to visit your dad soon.

I had intended to fast today but then remembered I have my infusion scheduled for Friday morning, so tomorrow needs to be a FD. Today I will make yet another attempt at a controlled day. As I’m feeling guilty about that chocolate egg binge, I just need to channel that today when I’m tempted.

I’m planning to spend some time in the garden today and tomorrow.

Have a good day all.

Neil, out posts crossed. Looks like the “make do and mend” spirit has gotten you through. Well done and happy cycling.

Hi everyone. Late afternoon here, and all is well so far with today’s FD.

The duct person came yesterday, had a good look. The quote I’ve been given is for $1000, so ouch, but not too horrendous. That will be for replacing the big return duct, making it a larger bore, as well, and 3 of the ducts to different rooms. Only one of those 3 really needs to be done, but apart from 2 I had replaced in 2007, which are okay, the ducts are about 26 years old, so I think it’s better to just get them all done in one hit. It’s only an extra $100 per duct for the extra two to be done, so probably cheaper to do it now than possibly when there could be trouble down the track. The workers are coming on Wednesday next week to do the work for me.

Quacka, so pleased that the job situation has finally be clarified, so I do hope the BP drops quickly to normal. It could also be up because you’re unwell, so don’t be too upset about it. Let’s hope that throat settles quickly as well.

Thin, just noticed that you’ve now bought some seeds for your roof planters. Good luck with that. Hope you end up with lots of lettuces and tomatoes, and maybe a pumpkin or two as well. The majority of folk here seem to be managing social distancing, particularly in supermarkets, fairly well. We do pass each other in the aisles, but folk tend to move closer to the shelves and look away as they pass, so it seems okay.

Neilithicman, great handyman work there – maybe you’ll even beat your 2020 distance target before you get the bike officially fixed.
    Chuckled at the Youtube post – very funny, thanks for sharing it.

Anzac65, hope the neck pain eases. Seems like a few people have some good suggestions. Mine is just to apply heat, and also massage the backs of your shoulders to loosen things up (which you’re probably doing already! 🙂 ).

LJoyce, yum for the Haigh’s chocolate, but it doesn’t sound as if you had an overall excessive calorie day, though the content could have been better. I’ve got 2 smaller (130 gm) and one larger Easter egg (180 gm), all Darrell Lea, plus a heap of little eggs here at home, but have so far managed to avoid them after my blowout on Sunday. I’d not be doing as well if they were Haigh’s, though 🙂 .
    Anyway, hope your FD tomorrow and infusion on Friday go well.

CalifDreamer, It must be such a concern for you re Covid-19 at the moment, with all the mixed messages coming through from the powers-that-be. Just try to be sensible in your small corner of California, and it’s good that California is doing better than some of the other US States. I grieve for the New Yorkers.

Cinque, Hope your FD today has gone well. I keep forgetting to ask – you’re sitting on maintenance now, aren’t you? I still have a long way to go, but I’m nearly back down to where I got to last year, so I’m hoping this time to get through the slump, even in the colder weather, and come out the other side much closer to my goal weight.
    Mind you, I haven’t been that weight since I was 14, so it’s possible I’ll stall a few kilos higher than that, but we’ll see. One (of the few) advantage of Covid-19 is that I’m not seeing folk I know, so I’m not getting the “oh, you’re losing so much weight” comments which have tended to trigger me into self-sabotage in the past. I’ll just spring my new trim and terrific me on them (hope, hope!) 🙂

Keep well all! Be kind to yourselves Quacka and Anzac65.

Good evening everyone

Betsy, I would have made the same decision about the three ducts. Hoping it’s straightforward and doesn’t create too much mess for you to deal with.

For once I can report that I actually stuck to the plan today. I had a very controlled eating day and managed to work in the garden this afternoon. Feeling tired, a bit sore and pleased with myself tonight. Let’s hope tomorrow’s FD goes as well.
    I’m hoping to finish digging over the soil and fork through manure in the morning and then plant seedlings and seeds in the afternoon. I’m very pleased that I managed to track down a packet of purple sprouting broccoli seeds today. I’ve wanted to grow this for several years but never found seeds or plants before – very happy 😊

LJ, it often seems to be an age-driven thing as far as adherence to the 6ft rule. I understand that those of us with more to lose (over 60s) are more motivated to do the two step that you describe. Do you have the one-way system around the supermarkets too? Annoying when you miss an item you’d needed and have to go back around but I think they’re trying hard to do the right thing.

Betsy, you seem to be doing so well with your weight loss this time. I potted my flowers in planters at 8pm last evening and had to buy two more at Tesco today for my chilis, tomatoes & lettuce. I’ve had two passers by comment on the flowers so I’m pleased they can bring a little pleasure. Butternut squash might be a bit ambitious, I agree Cinque.

LJ, you were so right about the silver lining in not having the pubs open. Although it seems so sad passing the empty picturesque waterside locations, I don’t have to worry about the extra calories. I’m in the 57s so very happy.

Neil, I watched your youtube humour. What can I say? I can tell that you have two adolescent boys in your household! I would imagine they’d find that hilarious. Sorry about the bike.

I spoke too soon about Britain’s falling death toll. It dropped to about half that day, then went back up to double the following day. Very happy to be putting the city behind us and heading into rural countryside again where we feel safe.

Cinque, did you get it done? Yay! Healthy us.

Good morning everyone, from a very wet Adelaide. Hence, the planned gardening has been postponed. Probably a good thing, as my back is having a good ol’ complain about my exertions yesterday.

Thin, Glad you are growing some fresh produce on the boat roof. I think the trouble with butternuts would be the weight as the vines would trail over the roof and if a butternut rolled of the side the weight of it would probably drag the pot overboard too.
    Thankyou for sending me the link to your blog last week. I did finish reading it. It’s been lovely to catch up on the trials and tribulations of canal boating during a pandemic. I was shocked by the pictures you posted of getting through the Hillmorton lock. I hadn’t realised those things were so narrow. I can’t imagine steering anything through there without hitting the sides.

Looks like some things are slowly returning to normal here in S.A. Because we have had 0-2 cases daily here for the last fortnight, despite opening up testing to everyone who wants it, the government has decided that when the school holidays end school can go back to normal. Although it’s not compulsory, so parents can continue to home school if they want to.

FD for me and so far just a pot of tea. I won’t have the distraction of gardening to keep me away from the kitchen, but I will get there. Somehow sticking to FDs is always easier than sticking to controlled days.

Have a good day all.

Quick check-in today. Going okay. Ended up with a FD800 yesterday, CD today, then planning a FD tomorrow before weighing-in on Saturday morning.

Not sure how much I’ll lose this month. It’s been slower than February and March, and that’s what happened last year, where I reached around my current weight and then just stalled. But, I’m not giving up or easing off this year like I did last year, so I’m hopeful for continued progression. As thin said, it seems to be going much better for me this time round.

Hope your FD goes well today LJoyce, and the infusion tomorrow. Do you use hydroquinilone? It seemed to become another panic buying product once President Trump was touting it as a treatment for Covid-19, but newly published actual research has debunked that – people with Covid-19 treated with hydroquinoline were 2.5 times more likely to die than those who weren’t given it. It was only a small study, I gather about 95 patients’ data was retrospectively reviewed, so not definitive yet. However, it does cast considerable doubt on any advantages hydroquinoline might have for Covid-19 treatment. Interesting.

Keep well everyone, then none of us will have to worry about what drugs we should or should not be taking 🙂 .

Hi Betsy, I have taken hydroquinilone, but that was about 20 years ago when I was first diagnosed. It’s not a very effective treatment for RA, but because it has fewer side effects than all other options, it tends to be the first drug they try. I lasted 3 months on it, showed no improvement and moved onto more toxic, but effective, options. I don’t know anyone with RA that is was effective for. I think they have slightly more success with lupus patients.

Hi LJoyce, that’s interesting. I’d read that it was used as treatment for some RA, lupus, and (I think?) patients with some forms of cancer. Maybe it was the lupus patients that were missing out when the drug was disappearing off the pharmacy shelves?

Just had a lovely surprise – a “care” package from my church was delivered to my door. Just a few little things, but enough to say they are thinking of me (and other older folk who have little family). I now have more pasta I can add to tuna mornay, if it ever gets cooked – first attempt planned for Saturday! Plus some “goodies” I will have to ration out 🙂

I was locked out this morning! All good now, thanks to JJ. I’ve never encountered that before but I know many of you have. Locked-down, locked-out, just hope we don’t get locked-up.

LJ, you surely haven’t read the entire blog as that would have been a lot of catching up. Glad you enjoyed whatever part you have seen. When you go into locks, it’s all very gentle, you’re virtually just floating in with the engine ‘ticking over’. It’s fairly easy to keep the boat straight unless there’s a wind but if it hits the sides, it doesn’t really matter. The boats are a bit like huge dodgems.

I doubt the pumpkin will come to anything. If I grew one to the point that it could roll off the roof, I’d be ecstatic. There’s a traditional railing thingy along the roof though so it would be contained. Pumpkin growing competitions are a big thing here. DD has got into it this year and ordered some special seeds online in the hope of entering a competition along with some of her work colleagues who do it every year.

On further investigation of the statistics on UK deaths, the problem is that the daily figures reflect the number of hospital deaths reported in a 24 hour period, not the number of hospital deaths that actually occurred in the past 24 hours. Some deaths are not reported for two weeks. So again, the graphs are meaningless.

Cinque, it was my birthday earlier this month and I enjoyed a yummy mung bean stew to celebrate. I’m eternally grateful for that recipe. Are you OK today?

Betsy, how many more kgs until your goal weight? I now read that vitamin D is being recommended because of people staying indoors. That’s something I have to take for life so I’m pleased I bought some this week as that’ll likely be the next panic-buying item. Oh, I found sanitiser for the first time. There were four mini bottles left and I was allowed two. It said £1 each which was exorbitant but perfect pocket-size for OH and me when working the locks. When I later checked my receipt, I’d been charged £1.80 each.

Quick check-in

Thin, I got locked out of the site this afternoon, too. Had to submit my email, etc., didn’t close the forum, and just kept trying. Finally able to post about 3 hours after I wrote it.

Re Vitamin D, I take it all the time anyway. There’s been an association found between low Vit D and breast cancer (not determined yet whether it’s a cause/effect relationship, but the doctors are being cautious), which I’ve had, and my Vit D was lowish then. Ever since, it’s been one of my “prescribed medications”, 1000iU per day in a capsule. So, no change now.

Re weight, thin, I started this WOL 34 kg above my “ideal” weight – I’m short and have a small frame, so mid BMI I should be around 52.5 kg.
    Last year I lost 13 kg, then regained 10 kg in a few months near the end of the year. Started seriously losing weight again at the start of February this year, and have lost about 10 kg again, so I’m back where I was at my lightest last year, and still have 21 kgs to lose.

Realistically, any weight from 59 kg and down would have my BMI in the normal weight range, so I need to lose at least 14.5 kg to reach a BMI of 25; currently it’s 31 so I’m still mildly obese (sigh!). I need to lose 1.5 kg to be “merely” overweight.

Having said all that, even at this weight I feel so much better and more energetic; I could be a danger to the public if I lose a lot more 🙂 (but I’d dearly love to).

Sorry, longer than intended. Keep well all!

Oops, no, must still lose 2.5 kg to have a BMI of 30 (wishful thinking strikes again!)

Thin, yes I have read the entire blog – it was an afternoon reading binge a few afternoons ago.

Betsy, I’m very impressed with how determinedly you have tacked that weight gain.
    What a lovely thought, to provide care packages.

Well the rain stopped for a while mid-afternoon, so I did get out into the garden after all. I finished digging over all the beds and then forked through composted poultry and cow manure. The only thing on today;s list that I didn’t get done was planting. That will have to wait for the weekend.
    The FD was fine and not the struggle I was expecting. NFD tomorrow.

Good morning,
    A quick catch up!

Neil, so glad you got your bike going again. Hooray for youtube.

LJoyce, I’m glad you could help your aunt, and it sounds like you did so very safely.

I had a major fail in that area, when I had homehelp on Wednesday, I had rung to ask them what changes they were making with the pandemic and they said none apart from telling staff not to work if they had a cough, and not to do the service if their client had a cough. It was up to me to decide if I wanted them to come or not, and to stay in a different room if I needed to isolate, which she wondered why I would need to, since I am not over 70.
    This felt unsafe to me when our transmission numbers were doubling every few days, but I was increasingly in need of basic cleaning so I was excited about having home help come on Wednesday and was working to get everything organised before she arrived so it was as safe as possible for both of us, for her to do her work.
    Unfortunately my worker arrived an hour early when I was not ready at all and it put me in such a fluster I couldn’t think, and was trying to rush and get things tidy so she could clean so we continually got in each others way for a while. She was a worker who had not been here before and so didn’t know where anything was, and instead of taking it slowly and safely, I showed her (squeezing us both into my tiny bathroom to show her the cupboard behind the door).
    I feel so dreadful that not only did I make myself so unsafe, but I made her unsafe too. I am upset and angry , at myself, and at the service, for not making us safer, I couldn’t sleep that night. I have worked out the things I need to put in place next time, but I also will write to my local councillor, to ask if they could fund home care better so they could do training and support to keep their staff and clients safer.

Betsy, hooray that you will get those ducts all done.
    I am in maintenance, except that the hospital scales put me 3kg heavier than my happy weight, last November, and I while I think I haven’t gone higher I would like to lose those 3kg. And I don’t think I have. I think you will beat me to get down 2.5 kg, but I am going to do my best alongside you!
    PS I am lighter now than I was when I was 14. Hooray for 5:2

Thin, I am barracking for the pumpkin, it will be so lovely if it takes off, and keep the boat cooler too.
    I gather from the news that the UK will get a better Covid 19 transmission picture when they are able to do wider testing, but such a relief that the pressure on hospitals is lessening.

Ooh happy belated birthday! https://www.birthdaywishes.expert/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/belated-birthday-wishes-4.jpg
    And hooray for that mung bean stew. It was such a pleasure for me to find the recipe, and then that others enjoy it too. Especially on your birthday!

Well, I caught up on sleep a bit, and am finding my equilibrium again.

Ooh, I meant to mention, I watched ‘Miriam’s Big Fat Adventure’ (part 1, part 2 is on next week) https://iview.abc.net.au/show/miriam-s-big-fat-adventure . I liked it so much as she explores the social and identity issues around obesity.

Sending best wishes for a good day.

Viewing 50 posts - 23,501 through 23,550 (of 28,016 total)

You must be logged in to reply.