Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,901 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 1 day, 4 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 23,551 through 23,600 (of 28,005 total)

• Hello everyone, quick check in as we are very busy at work. Happy Friday

Happy belated birthday Thin!

Neil, so happy about your bike

Cinque, sorry to hear about the terrible time with your cleaner and I agree that you should write to the council and ask them to better organise the service.

I couldn’t face a FD this week but have been eating sensibly (ish). However the scales are slowly creeping up and it has to stop. Next week (and yes I know I say that all the time).

Betsy, enormous congrats an getting back to your lightest from last year. It’s all one way down from here.

Enjoy your NFD today LJ after yet another successful FD. Hooray! I hope you get your planting done on the weekend. What a lovely garden you have.

OK, back to my evil spreadsheet. It is evil because it is really complex and doing my head in. But I am so very thankful to have a good and interesting job so I will not complain.

I hope you are ok G’day and can find some work soon. And very glad you job situation is more or less settled Quacka and you are feeling better after being poorly for so long.

Take care all

Quick check-in. Doing okay.
    FD today, and thank you for the encouragement everyone. Still have a ways to go.

Cinque, yes for maintenance! Pity about the hospital scales, but the important thing is to weigh using the same scales consistently, as then you can genuinely track progress. My doctor’s scales in one room usually weigh me about 1.5 kg lower than I am by my scales, and in the other room, 2.5 kg lower, so, meaningless in my view. Go by how you feel and how your clothes fit.
    What a kerfuffle re the cleaning lady. It’s probably okay now, with the Covid-19 numbers stabilising so well, but I’d be upset about anyone arriving 1 hour before they’re due, particularly (for me anyway) if it’s early in the day. Throws everything out, so I’m not surprised it was so upsetting to you.

Anzac65, good to hear from you, and you’ll conquer that spreadsheet! 🙂

LJoyce and thin, trying to remember what you wrote – can’t go back a page. Weight? Yes, has to be down from here. 2.5 kg to be officially overweight – I’ll shout it from the rooftops (well, not really, but you get the sentiment!).

Got to go, but keep well everyone, including those lurking but not posting.

Betsy, that’s great, now you must get below that 10kgs so that you’re beyond your loss of last year (sorry, poorly constructed but ‘well done and keep going’!)

Anzac, you too!

Cinque, how awful for you. And as that is the only downbeat thing I have ever read from you in the approximately five years you’ve been posting here, I can only imagine how utterly devastating it must have been for you. I spent ages preparing for a repairman to come and look at our washing machine the other day. You can imagine that social distancing is not exactly possible on a 6ft wide boat. I removed objects and disinfected surfaces in his path for his safety and ours. I’d worked out a whole strategy for communication so we needn’t be on the boat. And then it started working again and he wasn’t needed …… but I totally understand your fear and frustration. Big virtual hug to you. And thanks for the birthday greetings.

We did have a visitor to the boat last evening though. Fortunately, there was no need for him to board. I sold the four old domestic batteries on gumtree. Hurray for getting them off the boat.

LJ, good grief, you now know more about me than I know about myself! For how long have you been at your ‘new’ house? It seems like yesterday that you were preparing soil and planting your first garden there.

Penguin, are you recovering OK?

Cinque, I’m sorry to hear about the distancing problems with the home help. I would definitely complain. That said, with numbers low and leveling off you probably aren’t in too much danger when you look at the percentage of people affected. I hope it will all be sorted before next time.

LJ, glad to hear your visit to your aunt went well. I’m sure she was glad to see you. You’re so ambitious getting your planting sorted. You’ve accomplished a lot.

Thin, happy belated birthday. https://www.happybirthdaymsg.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Copy-of-happy-belated-birthday-funny-5.jpg
    I don’t recall exactly how “The Stranger” ended now. It’s been a while since we watched. I’ll have to go back and look at it. There’s another one that’s pretty good that we’re watching now called “Lilyhammer” on Netflix. I fell asleep toward the end of it tonight but will watch that part again tomorrow. I don’t know why I fall asleep so easily watching movies, but can stay awake easily checking things on the computer.

Neil, glad to hear you were able to do some bike repairs with the help of YouTube. I’ve used YouTube for lots of repairs around here.

Quacka, glad to hear your work is settled and that you are feeling better. So much disruption for everyone due to the pandemic.

Betsy, congrats on your weight loss. It sounds like you’re on a roll. Keep it going.

Anzac, hope you got that evil spreadsheet sorted. Good to hear you’re still WFH.

I finished my second FD of the week today. The honeymoon is over on my weight going down or staying the same without fasting. My anxiety has lessened, just with the passage of time this thing has been going on and I had gone from eating very little to stress eating. So now back to my regular fasting to lose the weight I gained.

Thin, I have been debating how up-front to be about my health, but I shouldn’t dodge a straight question. When they fixed the Gall Bladder they found a more serious problem. In a couple of weeks, when the Jaundice has fully gone, I start a three month course of chemotherapy. This is almost certainly going to extend my self isolation until August. I shall spend the time with my painting, music and in the garden. There are some things I’ll miss, but there are worse ways to live. We had a Zoom birthday party with one of my grand daughters yesterday so we know that the technology can keep us in touch with the family.

Whilst all this is happening I’ll follow the thread, but probably won’t have much of interest to report.

Early evening here. I spent the day in the garden. People argue about global warming, but the garden proves it. My asparagus is up, a month earlier than it used to be. My runner and broad beans are well established and my potatoes are just beginning to poke through. It is a long time since I read “The Canterbury Tales”, so I just checked. 600 years ago Chaucer described the sweet showers of April piercing the draught of March. This year has been exactly the other way round. Half of the county was under water in March and April has been one of the driest on record. Still, good to spend an idle hour late afternoon sitting reading in the sun.

Morning all

Ah yes, I remember Chaucer from my Varsity English days “Whan that Aprill with his shoures soote The droghte of March hath perced to the roote, And bathed every veyne in swich licour Of which vertu engendred is the flour;” down here in NZ were still split in half. North Island still warm and dry, South cold and wet. Sorry you’re health is not good at the moment. It must be hard not being able to see others in the flesh, but you’re right that technology has allowed us to be much more connected than we used to be.

Penguin, I’m sorry to hear that you’re going to have to go through chemo. There are so many good drugs now to deal with the sides effects so you can still get on with your life. Thank goodness for technology and Zoom and FaceTime. At least you’ll be able to see as well as talk to family members while you’re dealing with this. I’m sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers your way.

Good morning everyone.

ANZAC day, I went to the end of the driveway, knowing our street might not have much community happening (factories interspersed with flats) and I was glad I did as there was just one other person, a fair way up the road, out at the end of their driveway with their lamp. But there were also lots of lights on in apartments and we could hear the bugle playing on the radios in people’s homes.

Penguin, thankyou for being up front about your health, it is awful news, but I am so glad to know. And how are you expected to get through chemotherapy without a flow of good wishes coming in from the southern hemisphere? Come on. 🙂
    Plus we will always be interested in how it is going, even if you post ‘Another !#@*% of a day’.

Anzac, things have been chaotic for you, working from home (with Maxx) big work challenges to get your clever head around, the neck pain, and ofcourse everything going on outside.
    So glad you are feeling you can get some fasting in place next week, I do hope things are settling so you can look after your health well, while you are working from home.

Betsy, ha, I think the hospital scales are the ones I use most consistently, once a year. But yes, it is my clothes that make me feel I haven’t put on more weight, or lost much.
    Is winter a tricky time for you re fasting? I know it was mainly stress from your study, but does cold weather complicate things further? I wonder if your fixed ducted heating will make this winter easier for fasting. Especially if you are going back to study soon, you need to have everything in place to make 5:2 possible and easy.

Thin, I am so glad you got your batteries offloaded in such an excellent way! And hooray for the washing machine fixing itself.

Cali, haha the birthday message for Thin. I am glad that your stress is less but sorry that there is enough to get you overeating. Sigh. Hooray for 5:2 to deal with that problem. Was it hard getting back into fast days?

Thankyou so much people, for the kind responses to my homehelp problem. Cali you are exactly right that our current low transmission rate probably does mean that there was extremely low risk, so thank goodness I am just addressing principles and protocols (fingers crossed).

Penguin, those climate changes are so clear now, aren’t they. Your garden sounds wonderful though. Mine is doing well except for the white cabbage moths everywhere, and whatever ate most of a pea seedling. My two butternut pumpkins are pretty well ready to pick and I think they will both be ripe, and the big one is a beauty. (Wouldn’t win the competition though Thin ;). )I’ve got lots of different greens coming on, parsley everywhere, a little crop of coriander and still picking basil leaves. a dozen broad beans are up and looking so strong and happy and I am also still picking strawberries. Ooh yes and some tiny broccolini seedlings that are slowly getting bigger.

Day before fast day for me. Sending out best wishes.

PS Heard Major Tom’s song this morning, very touching, made me sob.

Thank you for the fun birthday wishes and, gosh, no need to apologise, how could you possibly know? And Cali, so pleased to learn that I’m still only 63! Unfortunately though, this year I need to turn 64 because we have a high school reunion planned with the theme ‘when I’m 64’. How I got so old, i have no idea. At least there are 59 others that I know of, all with the same fate of turning 64.

Penguin, I’m very sorry to learn your news and what it means for extended isolation. It’s good that you have so many interests and hobbies around the home to keep you busy. Yes, we would definitely like a progress report please. You’re a permanent part of this thread. I wonder whether you’ve given thought to continuing fasting during your chemotherapy? How I originally arrived at this site and the discovery of 5:2 was through reading the research on fasting as a means of reducing the side effects of chemotherapy when a close friend developed breast cancer. It would be interesting to know how the science/medicine on that has developed six years on. At the time, it was mostly anecdotal but very positive.

About pumpkins, Cinque et al, DD related a funny story. She was telling a farm client about the rivalry among her vet colleagues wrt the pumpkin competition and how the others had secretly planted their seeds without mentioning anything. The farmer decided to help her out by giving her a potted pumpkin already about 9″ tall to masquerade as her late-sown superfast grower!

CalifD, I’m also interested to learn whether you found it hard to resume fasting after an absence.

Cinque, I shall have to seek out the Capt Tom song. What a guy.

P.S. Captain Tom has raised £35m for the NHS. Slightly more than his goal of £1000.

Good morning everyone.

Penguin, I am so sorry you are having this health battle again. Just know we are all sending you hopeful and positive thoughts. I’m glad it hear that it hasn’t kept you from your veggie patch. It’s also good to know that early crops might be a positive impact of climate change.
    I would second Thin’s comments on using fasting to reduce chemo symptoms. Several years ago I read some research that put chemo patients on calorie restriction for the day of chemo and the 2 days prior. I wondered if it might help me deal with the side effects of my RA treatment as, like chemo, that also suppresses my immune system. For several years I have been fasting the day before treatment and it has significantly reduced the side effects I was experiencing in the days after treatment. I found I didn’t need to do 3 days, I got the same benefit from one normal FD as long as it was the day before treatment. I can’t find the published paper I originally read, but this is on the same topic: https://jeccr.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13046-019-1189-9

Thin, A very belated happy birthday.
    I think a lot of others have been binge watching tv – I decided binge reading your blog was more appealing.

Cinque, Glad you are still finding enough energy to keep your little veggie patch going. I have finally planted most of my cold weather veg too.

Cali, I hope getting back on to 5:2 has been an easy transition.

Anzac, I hope the FDs are easier this week.

Betsy, I completely understand your anticipated joy of being just “overweight” and not obese. I sit the overweight BMI category, although I’m teetering at the top point at the moment and prefer to be more comfortably in the middle of that BMI range. To not be classified as obese does feel good (funny how labels like that matter so much) and I have no doubt that you’ll get there soon with your current determination.

We went to the funeral home on Friday afternoon and our tiny group were able to view my uncle’s body and put some flowers in with him. My aunt was given all the time she needed to just sit with him. On the undertaker’s advice we had a little ceremony at the end which involved a prayer and his immediate family putting the lid on the coffin and winding the screws down. It was good to finish with something a little ceremonial given the lack of a funeral – a small element of closure. He will be cremated this week and then once the health restrictions are over there will be a memorial service and afternoon tea with his urn there. My aunt is coping but gets upset by reading the many condolence cards she’s receiving. Hopefully in time they will actually give her comfort.

Yesterday morning I walked out onto my driveway, still in pjs, slippers and dressing gown. I though I might be the only one but so many of my neighbours were there with candles too. One had brought her radio and we were able to listen to the broadcast from the limited service that was being held in Adelaide. Once the service was over one neighbour went to get homemade anzac biscuits and another went and made a tray of cups of tea and coffee and everyone found garden chairs and we sat around at a distance and had an impromptu breakfast and a long chat – it did us all the world of good.

After a few days gardening, I finally have parsnips, cauliflower, spinach, broccolini and purple sprouting broccoli planted – just the broad bean seeds to go in now. I’ll do that sometime his week.

I woke with a lung infection this morning. After having not having one for 3 months it was expected, as I’ve never gone longer than 3 months and I usually get them monthly in the colder months. Luckily I have the appropriate antibiotics on hand as was able to start them this morning. I don’t need to leave the house this week so I can remain isolated until I’m well.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Sunday Fast Day for me!

Hungry but determined.

Thin, I do hope DD wins the pumpkin contest, since a little bit of cheating is part of the fun.
    What a great year to be back in the UK, for that 64 reunion.
    I bet you have found that Captain Tom song, since it made a news item here because it got to top of the pop charts!

LJoyce, I am so glad you had such a good ceremony to farewell your dear uncle. Such a hard time for your aunt, thinking of her.
    And a lovely neighbourhood Anzac ceremony too.

Is it the same pneumonia bug that stays in your lungs and keeps coming back? Hoping it goes quickly (and completely?)!

Oooh I should have thought of planting parsnips, I love them so much and they are so expensive.

I am using up the last of my veggies before venturing out to shop again. Mostly pumpkin and frozen peas left!

I made an excellent stew yesterday as, along with our compost swap (she fills compost buckets that I feed to my compost bin) my daughter gave me some failed barley and lamb stew. As I guessed she had put in too much barley (first time trying it) and so it was stodge with that flattened flavour too much barley can give. I don’t think she will try it again for a few years!

But I had my cooking mojo and made a gorgeous stew of pumpkin and tomatoes adding some chickpeas and the last of my celery for different textures, and some good bright spices, so that when I added a couple of cups of her stew it made it hearty and comforting. Lucky it worked since I made a huge saucepan full.
    And I put the rest of her barley stew in small containers in the freezer to use later on.

I’ll have a small bowl of the stew I made for my fast day meal.

Sending good wishes to you all.

Good afternoon everyone. Didn’t manage to get up for the dawn candlelight standing outside one’s door. My excuse is that I live in a back unit, so no-one would see me anyway (yes, I could have walked up the driveway – let me keep my illusions! 🙂 ).

Bit concerned this morning – Wilbur is off his food. Not interested in eating at all, and is moving very slowly. Went outside early, but is just curled up on the front porch. Don’t know if he’s eaten something “off” or just in pain, ?arthritis ?injured. If he’s not improving by tomorrow, I’ll take him to the vet.

Thin, forgot to say “happy belated birthday”. Hurrah for getting rid of the 4 batteries. What was the buyer going to do with them? Are they rechargeable?

Penguin, sorry to read your news, but do keep us up with how you’re doing. Is the problem in the liver or pancreas? Positive thoughts and prayers being sent to you.

CalifDreamer, yes, anxiety usually can’t be sustained permanently at a high level, but darn, you didn’t want it to ease off enough to lead to stress eating! Great that this WOL will help bring that under control.

Neilithicman, I’m impressed that you can quote Chaucer (or is this the time when you’re going to admit you looked it up in an old school book?).

Cinque, I had trouble fasting during last winter – my weight just hovered up and down about a kg for 3 months, then gradually started its sad crawl upwards in September, which was to a large part due to stress and an over-abundance of Haigh’s chocolate factory “seconds”, and it was all downhill from there until the brakes came on in January this year.
    By the way, I’m impressed by all your gardening successes. Lots of home-grown vegies, yum! I’m still picking an occasional couple of strawberries from the plants you gave me last October, too. Thanks again.

LJoyce, echoing what I wrote for Cinque – yay for homegrown vegies! Re fasting pre-chemo, Dr M mentions that in one of his fasting books, too. Can’t remember which one, but there are several anecdotes about how it was beneficial to various people. Not sure now if there was any science behind it, or experimental data. Anyway, you’re another who’s said how well it works for you.

Cinque, noted that you’re using up vegetables before buying any more – I’ve been looking in my fridge and freezer and I definitely need to eat some of the food I’ve got before I buy anything more. So, this week just some meat for the cat, and some skimmed milk powder if I can find some. It will be a cheap shop.

Keep well everyone.

LJ, wow, thanks for the compliment and the birthday wishes. Lovely that you got to celebrate the Anzac service in your PJs. That might be the next thing to catch on after the Aussie bin night dress ups. We had a neighbour in Perth who was regularly seen in the front garden in her dressing gown. Good that you had some closure for your uncle’s passing. Hope you feel better soon.

Betsy, thank you too. I hope Wilbur feels better soon. Maybe he’s having a FD. I, too, wondered about Neil’s impressive ability to quote Chaucer. The domestic batteries are ‘leisure’ batteries. Separate from the single engine battery. The buyer is going to put them in his campervan which he uses for work. They’ll get charged as he drives. It’ll be a better application for him as he’ll be driving anyway, whereas we have to run the engine in order to charge them on the boat – whether we’re cruising or not. We decided it was too hard to try and ‘nurse’ them when we didn’t know their age or life and better to start with a known entity. We charged him a fraction of their RRP as we just wanted them taken away, so he was a happy camper.

Cinque, yes, I found the song. I was bawling by the end of it! It’s just such a fabulous story. He and his family must be exhausted with all the international interviews, recordings and now his birthday celebrations. I love it so much because he encapsulates that WWII spirit and has brought it all the way to 2020. What a great example he sets. I’m fasting with you today. Crept up to 58kg but that’ll be sorted out by tomorrow.

Have a great week all.

Morning all.

Cinque, we had the ANZAC commemorations with people standing in their driveways over here too. In some ways it was even more poignant than the mass gatherings and great to see that people are still wanting to pay respects to our soldiers even under lockdown.

Happy belated birthday Thin. Captain Tom is certainly an amazing guy and I hope he gets a special birthday message from the queen when he hits 100. How are your seedlings going? The article I posted about the barge garden someone in the UK had set up said they found that canal water was a really good fertiliser, so you’ve got an unlimited source for your plants 😉

Ljoyce, glad that your family got to have their goodbyes with your uncle, but sorry to hear you’re joining the ranks of the infirm from this site with your lung infection. At least you have your garden to watch while you coalesce 😉

Betsy, I don’t remember a lot from my English Lit classes, but I do remember that quote because in the class we had a recording of someone reading it in what is believed to be the accent that was used at the time and the the part about “Aprill with his shoures soote” (April with his sweet showers) sounded more like “Upreal wit hees sures suit” 😀 I hope nothing is wrong with Wilbur and he won’t need a vet visit.

I’m doubly excited today. Firstly because I get to go back to the office tomorrow (before the lockdown I never thought I’d be so happy to go to work. But after 5 weeks stuck at home, as they say, a change is as good as a rest) Secondly after my ride yesterday my total for the year was sitting at 1993 kilometres, so I’m only 27 kilometres from my goal of 2020. If the weather is good this afternoon I should be able to do that today. My double loop that I ride is around 32 kilometres. After that I’ll start working on round 2 😉

Have a great day everyone, and a nice easy fast for those of you joining me in a Monday fast.

Good morning,
    Got through my fast day no worries, and ooh breakfast 🙂 🙂 🙂

Betsy, thinking of Wilbur, he does sound crook. Sending good wishes.

Oh dear re the Haigh’s seconds last year. I can well imagine the temptation. Well I hope that is easy to avoid this winter.

Yes re the veggies, I did a big veggie shop three weeks ago as I figure going shopping three times less often, gives me three time less opportunities to catch the virus, and three times the chance to keep shopworkers safe. And ESPECIALLY to avoid getting up early in the morning to get to the shop in its first hour. (Very pleased with the quality and quantity at the time though!)

But what a challenge! Pleased to say I kept veggies well wrapped up in cloth, and then in plastic bags, in the veggie drawer of the fridge, and managed to cook things in sequence of how well they last. But I did buy a few extra veggies when I did a supermarket shop a week ago. (Milk, doesn’t it keep us popping out!)

It will be so exciting to go and buy more though! Mushrooms! Corn! Eggplant!
    I will go veggie shopping again tomorrow morning, I think.

Thin, I am also a neighbour people see out in the garden in her dressing gown. I do have a range of gorgeous dressing gowns like Chrestomanci. (I wonder if anyone knows that reference).

<3 the song.

Big wishes to everyone for a good day today and a great week ahead. Quacka, how are you feeling? LJoyce, hope you are okay too. And everyone else.

Neil, just saw your post. Ha re Chaucer sticking in your head, that Middle English does sound so different. Enjoy your day in the office tomorrow and that last 27k topping off your bike ride tally.

HI Everyone, you are all so busying and I am enjoying reading your posts.
    Today is a FD for me and I am pleased with my progress last week. The FD let me have a little indulgence on other days which make it a bit easier to get thru the week.
    I have been getting veggie deliveries from the green grocer each week which is making it easier to stay away from the shops and hopefully keeps them in business, but I’m going to start my own herb garden in pots. Hope you all have a great week 🙂

Neil, thanks. Enjoy your return to work and completing your bike riding goal. Yes, the canal water must have a lot of nutrients – one morning I scooped up a teeny yabbie form – although I don’t think they’re called that here. Chillis have been hopeless, they’re so easy to grow that I’m thinking the seeds must have been duds. I’ve started again. At one time, I could quote ‘Macbeth’ in its entirety, having studied it in Eng. lit for ‘O’ level. Now, my memory has been reduced to “out damned spot, out I say”.

Sunflower, a lot of us have continued 5:2 long after reaching maintenance in order to allow for the odd indulgence like a restaurant meal (back in the old days!).

I have trained myself to go all day without food now, dispensing of my old 2pm feeding. Yesterday, it didn’t even feel like I was fasting at all, yet I’m 700g down again this morning.

Cinque, I empathise with you using food items via triage, the term you coined earlier. In a senior moment, I made a double batch of Mexican Chicken Soup for my FD yesterday but still only counted it as servings for 4 instead of 8. I now have all that extra soup, three chicken breasts and a freezer surprise (a curry of some sort) plus some leeks that need to be used in a frittata – all at a time when we’ve discovered a fish and chip shop that’s OPEN! One good thing about England’s obsession with packaging is that fruit and veg also have a ‘use by’ date as a guide.

There is some minimal light at the end of the tunnel for Britain wrt lockdown. Boris returns to work today. The media can only focus on the failings, banging on every day and seemingly hoping against all hope that the government doesn’t reach its stated testing target by the end of this month. So tiresome and boring. I wish someone would hold them to account to take better care of their rubbish editing.

Ok Monday fasters, over to you.

A quick post … I’ll go back tomorrow and re-read, but at the moment I’ll go by my ever-faltering memory.

Sunflower, welcome back. I had a friend whose name was Sunflower. I met her when I worked in China. We stayed in contact for a long time when she came to Australia, but we gradually lost touch. It would be too much of a coincidence if you were she.

Penguin, I was so terribly sorry to read your news. I’ll be hoping, like your other forum friends, to hear good news in the not too distant future. Best wishes.

Cinque, I too would be shocked and upset if (a) my cleaner turned up an hour early and (b), didn’t give you time to organise an appropriate social distancing/disinfecting regime. It must have been very upsetting.

Thin I laughed when I read ‘out damned spot, I say’. We had a jet black cat a few years ago who had some pretty unsavoury habits, and that’s exactly what we used to say to him when he disgraced himself (he was called Spot, btw, because when he arrived, the kids said we had to keep him indoors because if he went out at night, we wouldn’t be able to spot the cat. So that’s what he was known as. Spot the cat.

Betsy, I’m in a similar situation to you, except that I haven’t got my WOL back under control yet. Lost 15 odd kilos, and put some back on, lost some more, it crept up again. I am a work in progress, shall we say.

Neil, good work on fixing your bike yourself, and for reaching your cycling goal. Impressive. Hope you enjoy your return to work. I know many people feel the same – although I suspect in a year or two, we’ll hanker for the wfh time again.

I was on a Zoom conference call with work the other day – 44 on the call, most casuals and sessionals – to hear the news that it is highly likely there’ll be no work before first trimester next year. If we do have students, the permanent staff will teach them. It was so sad to see people’s shocked faces.

Thin re packaging of fruit and vegetables .. Our local fruit shop does that with some of its produce … and it invariably turns out to have something dodgy on the bottom. I must say I like to choose – and then there’s the polystyrene and clingfilm. The packaging that nature provided for, say, corn in its own wrapper, or bananas in their own skins, is a much better option.

OK I am sure I’ll remember something after I sign off.
    How’s your spreadsheet going Anzac?
    And Cali, you okay over there in California?
    good night all

Good morning everyone,
    Thinking of you Neil going so happily off to your office.

Sunflower, happy morning after fast day! I hope you are feeling lovely and light.
    Growing herbs is a great idea. Do you have favourites?

Thin, fasting queen!
    Oh dear re double Mexican chicken soup, that is exactly the sort of thing I do. Well it is feast time on the narrow boat. Chips!

Lindsay, I am so happy to hear from you. You might be doing too much thesis reading to be able to cope with pages of this forum.
    How awful that zoom meeting must have been, my heart goes out to all the casual and sessional staff.

Ha, Spot the cat is such a brilliant name.

I also did Macbeth at school (and Chaucer, except I don’t remember any of it). Macbeth, the bit I remember is ‘Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow, creeps in this petty pace from day to day…’ Which is exactly what school felt like at that time.

Penguin, are you recovering nicely from your hospital procedure? I hope you are doing lots of gardening and painting. And best wishes to Mrs Penguin too.

Betsy, I am wishing no news is good news, but I am worried it is the opposite. Thinking of you and Wilbur and sending good wishes.

Cheers to everyone for a good day.

Hi everyone

I am so very sorry to read about your new health problem Penguin. Please post even if you don’t feel it is interesting as we love to hear from you. Maxx sends lots of healing licks and tail wags.

I was surprised to hear that we can start visiting again this weekend. Not in groups and still keeping our distance but it has come much quicker than anyone anticipated. I will be able to see my Dad as he is coming home from the country tomorrow. I hope I can soon meet my great-nephew as well.

I could WFH for the rest of my career if it was possible Neil, but I don’t have young kids to contend with. Just a naughty labrador who, quite frankly, sleeps most of the day anyway.

I went and had my hair cut and coloured on Sunday. I wouldn’t have bothered until I was going back to work in the City, but my lovely hairdresser clearly needs the business so I wanted to support her. And it was nice to do something ‘normal’ – although it was strange to be the only client in the salon.

I finally got to physio yesterday and what a blessed relief to no longer have neck pain. I slept so well for a change. My poor physio though, I asked whether his wife was still working and there was a silent pause and then, with a cracking voice, he told me they had broken up. Clearly not his choice. He is so lovely and smart and his clinics are normally so successful – and to top it off he is extremely good looking! My hubby sometimes accuses me of deliberately hurting myself so I can go and see him – LOL. So I can’t fathom what happened as they seemed so happy and were only married for about 2 years. So often you hear of long-term relationships breaking up after marriage.

Work is really busy and I’m glad as it stops me from wandering into the kitchen looking for food every 5 minutes. I’m having a much better week and am trying to do 800-1000 calorie days Mon-Friday to keep under my TDEE and reverse the current upward trend.

Lindsay, my evil spreadsheet is growing in size and complexity. I have had to put it aside for a couple of days due to some new and higher priority work and I must say it is nice to have a change of scenery – work wise.

Hi to everyone as I don’t have time to reply to you all but I am reading your lovely posts avidly

Hi all, day one in the books. I took my bike in to work and had a lovely cafe coffee to celebrate my newfound freedom before I started this morning. It was really eerie at work because I was the only on on my entire floor and I only saw 2 other people in the building the entire day. I got through a fair amount of work, including cleaning out the fridge at work, which was not the most plesant of jobs as there was some pretty nasty lunches that had been sitting there for 5 weeks in various states of decay. I kind of need to work from the office because I need access to the hard copies of the files I’m researching and digitising and access to the A0 size scanner to do the large format plans.

I was kind of disgusted with the talk on the news about many people wanting to work from home after the lockdown finishes because they’re more productive at home. I wasn’t disgusted with them wanting to work from home, but the statistic quoted that the average worker is only productive for around 3 hours a day. That means there’s a hell of a lot of people that are chatting on facebook, mucking about on their phones, watching videos or online shopping while I’m slogging my guts out trying to get through my workload.

Well tomorrow I’ll be weighing in and then back in to cafe for another coffee before work. Bliss.

Have a great day everyone.

Lindsay, good to hear from you again, are you back in the swing of 5:2? You had toyed with retirement at one point last year. Is this being re-visited after your zoom conference? I can’t imagine how that might work with 44 on the call especially on a phone. Is it called zoom because it zooms from one person’s face to the next? Or are there thumbnail portraits of 44 people? Completely agree with the packaging both on the concealment of rotten produce and the waste fronts. Spot the cat – funny!

Cinque, you are funny. Tomorrow and tomorrow.

Neil, perhaps business owners/managers will come to realise how unproductive some of their employees have been. Now many sitting at home complaining of boredom while collecting 80% of their former pay. I’m guessing people spend hours attending to personal business even when they’re in the physical workplace.

Anzac, was your hairdresser wearing a mask? Good that you got your neck pain sorted out.

LJ, you must be feeling bad not to have posted. Best wishes for a quick recovery.

Watching the countries that are easing their lock-downs with eager anticipation.

Hi everyone, and good evening.

Sorry not to post yesterday. My Sunday morphed into a NFD as I polished off a 130 gm Easter egg and half of another – then threw out all remaining similar temptations! A bit annoyed with myself, but it just shows how easily I succumb to temptation when feeling stressed. I was not only concerned about Wilbur, but also – can you believe it?! – stressed about making my tuna casserole (still not cooked). The longer I put it off, the more it’s been bothering me. Sigh! Anyway, Wilbur was his normal self by yesterday, so my suspicion is that he had a furball and passed it, or had a minor tummy upset. So pleased I didn’t have to take him to the vet! 🙂

Cinque, I won’t be tempted by Haigh’s chocolate factory seconds this year as I’m not going to Adelaide, which is where the chocolates are made. I’m sure there are stacks of other chocolates which will tempt me, but ….. not the factory seconds. The problem with them is that they are so cheap compared with the normal ones in the shops. But, I won’t be in Adelaide, so no temptation.
    By the way, what I remember from Macbeth is the famous “Lead on MacDuff” (I think from there?), as well as the two you and thin quoted.

LindsayL. I would concur with being a “work in progress” with the weight loss; unfortunately, I also qualify, considering Sunday’s blowout. Is retirement now gaining in attractiveness, with the work situation as it is? I’ve mulled several times re a ?return to work as a casual after June this year, and the more I consider it, the more I think – yes, I can do the work; no, I don’t think I want to return there. At 70, I think retirement suits me better. You may find with time that the actual thought of returning to work becomes less and less attractive to you.

Thin, zoom meetings are really neat. You can set it on “speaker view”, when the person speaking is the main person seen, with a few smaller squares at the top with a few of the other people in them. Speaker view means it will move from person to person depending on who is speaking, putting them in the centre. Or you can look at the screen with up to 25 small frames with people in them, and move to the next page if more than 25 people attend to see other faces. The most practical is to have it on speaker view so the face of the person speaking is prominent. Usually if you’re not speaking you will mute your microphone so there are no coughs, etc., in the background. It works much the same as a Skype meeting with several people. The free zoom mode allows meetings to last up to 40 minutes; paid zoom meetings can last longer, as long as necessary. My college pays a subscription to zoom, so I will use it to meet with my supervisors in May.
    Thanks for explaining re the batteries. I was wondering why someone would want to buy them unless they were rechargeable.

Neilithicman, you are certainly coming very close to your goal distance – will you be doubling it for the rest of the year?
    Sympathies re the fridge clean-out. Yuck! I can imagine the smell. You wonder why folk didn’t remove their food before they started WFH.

Anzac65, great that you’ll soon be able to see your Dad again in person. He’ll be happy, too.
    I was very pleased to read that your neck has now been manipulated back into place so you are painfree. Sad about your physio’s marriage break-up. It happens, sadly.

Sunflower1, great that you’re getting deliveries from your local greengrocer’s. And good that you’re settling into this WOL.

Who was it said their chilis didn’t sprout? thin? Good luck with the next lot.

LJoyce, hope you’re doing okay and fighting the infection. How frustrating to be ill so early in the cooler weather.

Good night all.

Good morning from rainy Melbourne. Hump day, if such a thing exists any more.

My garden LOVED the rain overnight, and so many things doubled in size. It stayed fine while I went to the supermarket, but now it is raining again and will be for days.

Anzac, hooray you are out of neckpain! And so glad you will get to see your dad.
    I do hope the easing of restrictions goes well.
    Still strict here in Victoria, but I am glad of that.

My SonInLaw is also finding working from home a huge relief and really productive. He heads a team (IT ofcourse) and they are all doing really well. So I guess different people have different experiences. I really hope he will be able to keep mostly working from home when this is over, as it makes life so much easier for him. Hope you can too, Anzac.

I’m glad your work is busy enough to keep you from snacking, but it seems it is so busy you can’t write here every day, and that is unacceptable! I might argue for you to transport back into the city for work after all!

I hope that a few days away from the dreaded spreadsheet helps you work out away to get it back into control. 🙂

Eeeooogh Neil, cleaning that fridge. I bet you are enjoying that coffee before work, and wandering around getting things done at work with no interruptions!

Thin, it is fascinating watching countries trying different things to cope with this pandemic. We are starting to see the second waves coming which is the next challenge. Such a fine line between keeping it under control and it getting away. It is like Maxx!

Betsy, so happy to hear Wilbur is fine. Respect that he got rid of the hairball outside and out of hearing. Miso likes to do hers a) over her food bowl b) on the windowsill with some dripping down the wall c) on anything I have left on the floor. (That’s with her eating ‘hairball control’ diet.)

Just as well you can’t get to Adelaide this year, your scales will love you. Oooh it is so hard to resist a bargain.
    Big congratulations for throwing out the other temptations. I hope you unwrapped them first. Not that I’m the sort of person who would ever in my life have dived into the rubbish bin to retrieve thrown out chocolate. I wouldn’t be that disgusting would I?

Oooh it turns out there is so much Macbeth to remember. I use the MacDuff quote and ofcourse the “Double, double, toil and trouble.”

On that witchy note, best wishes to everyone. Special wishes to you LJoyce, I do hope you are okay. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6f/a4/9e/6fa49e207f4b5bcaf70f7b3a1838741a.gif

Good afternoon all – quite humid today and still loving mid-twenties temps but there is a cold change afoot. Friday is forecast to be a maximum of 16!

Cinque, you are correct that I haven’t been posting every day. I won’t completely blame work as I also tend to shy away when I’m having a bad time with food. I feel unworthy of everyone’s attention and of course not a little embarrassed.

I’ve mentioned in the past that I am clumsy and forgetful. So, since ISO began, i have managed to lose a credit card, my one and only good pair of glasses (my spare pair is in my desk drawer at work) and now today my Huawei fitness band. I bought a lot of shopping at Coles and had bags hanging off my wrists and they must have pulled it off. I’ve just been back up at the shops back-tracking but no luck. I fear OH is very frustrated with me but he said nothing except “give it a few days and see if anyone hands it in otherwise we’ll get you a new one”. GAH

So very glad Wilbur is ok Betsy. It is so awful when a fur child is unwell because you just wish they could talk and tell you where it hurts. I think I mentioned that Maxx had an infected ear but he was able to communicate it to us by scratching it and shaking his head.

Hi Sunflower, very glad to hear you are doing well with this WOL. Keep it up and keep us posted with your progress please.

My hairdresser didn’t wear a mask Thin but I felt safe. Where we live there are hardly any cases so it would be very unlucky to catch it now I think. She and the salon manager were very diligent with wiping everything, washing their hands and they even put plastic clingwrap on the credit card machine for when I had to put my pin in.

I’m not getting much time to read your blog Thin but what I’ve read so far has been so enjoyable 🙂

My friend Sue who has Cystic Fibrosis is SO excited that we can visit legally soon. She said the first thing she wants to do is come to our place for some yummy food. How nice 🙂 She and her hubby don’t really cook much and love our food. It is so satisfying to serve a meal to people who smack their lips constantly and mumble ‘mmmm yummmm mmmm’ throughout the whole experience 🙂

Ick to work fridges at the best of times Neil but ugh – 5 weeks of festering must have been pretty seriously disgusting. Good for you for doing it and I”m glad you are happy to be back in the office.

Lindsay I’ve had a couple of zoom meetings with some labrador friends forum members recently and it’s been so amazing. Our dogs were of course part of it and Maxx was sitting quietly on a chair next to me watching the whole thing like a really good boy. The other forum members were berating me for telling them what a naughty minx he is and they will no longer believe me. I later posted a video of me sitting in the lounge chair with my legs out straight so they can see the nibbled holes in my ugg boots and as I was doing it he blasted past me with a tea towel in his mouth being chased by OH. So there!

Ok, enough rambling. OH is cooking a whole chicken in the tandoor tonight with Portuguese marinade (just to have a change from tandoori) so I must go and make a big salad to go with it. Take care

Good evening all

Just letting you all know I’m alive and kicking, thanks for the concern. I’ve been overwhelmed by fatigue and no amount of rest seems to change that. I also made a big error last night and went to bed without taking my evening antibiotic and my lungs are a little worse today as a result. I expect things will improve soon and I have set reminders on my phone so I don’t forget another tablet.
    Despite usually averaging 9000 steps a day, I’ll be lucky to average 3000 this week. Probably because I haven’t left the house since Saturday.

Take care all.

Good evening everyone. Good to read the posts. And yes, Wilbur was improved on Monday, his normal self yesterday and today. What a relief!

LJoyce, happy to see your post. Sorry you’re still so ill, but it’s good that you felt well enough to try.

@anzac65, Maxx sounds like children – perfect when they “visit” other people (i.e., on your forum), but a menace at home. How frustrating re lost items. Maybe the stress of that wretched spreadsheet?!

Cinque, Wilbur has never sicked up a furball inside (that I’m aware of) but he often gulps down his food then promptly sicks it back up again, which seems less a furball problem and more him being a guts. Mostly it’s somewhere on the floor, and I infinitely prefer it if he sicks up on the tiled area, but that’s less than half the time (sigh!). I try to brush him regularly, especially when he’s moulting, changing from summer to winter coat or vice versa.
    Yes, “double, double, toil and trouble” is another Macbeth quote I remember well.

Ducts news – I phoned and spoke with the company yesterday, and it was agreed that due to the coming rain we would defer the duct changeover until later next week when it might be dryer again. There’s been a lot of rain today, and it does get under the unit, nearly 30 mms by 10 p.m. I initially regretted the cancellation this morning, as there was almost no rain overnight, or first thing in the morning, but then the rain started around 10 a.m., when the workmen would have only been partway through the installation, so it was good they weren’t here. They told me it will take between 4-5 hours to do. Hopefully by Friday of next week we’ll have had a few dry days.

Hi to everyone else lurking. Oh, I actually made the tuna casserole this evening for dinner. It wasn’t the most marvellous dish I’ve ever cooked, but it was reasonably edible. I put in extra vegetables, which changed the flavour, I think. Anyway, I have 2 more servings in the fridge and 3 that are now stored in the freezer. I have GOT to eat some of my freezer food! Maybe not do any shopping next week.

Goodnight and sleep well 🙂

Good morning on a very cold Melbourne day,

LJoyce, thanks so much for giving us that update, so glad you were well enough to do that. I hope you can rest, rest, rest. And keep remembering the antibiotics! (Let your steps take care of themselves until you feel better!)

Anzac, it is a very tricky issue when 5:2 isn’t going well. I think most of us have had this problem. What to do?
    Lie? If we are very crafty it might work once or twice, but (not Shakespeare, surprisingly) what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive.
    Avoid? Just comment on everyone else’s posts, it is a good plan, but it can start sounding hollow after a while.
    Skip over? If we write ‘I’ve had a bad day foodwise’ very quickly, maybe no-one will notice?
    Fess Up? And face the sympathy and the rallying?

It is much more satisfying to talk about it when the wave is over, and we have a bit of analysis and a bit of confidence. Unfortunately we miss you too much in the meantime. So comfort, comfort, rally, rally and good luck if you just have to wait for a chance to start again.

A good day for me to be writing this as I forgot about fasting yesterday (had to concentrate on doing a successful shop) and then this morning I just really, really needed breakfast. I think I will just throw my hands up and do 6:1 this week. (I’m blaming the cold and the fact that I need to go and buy a new phone – old one died – and I don’t think I could do it without breakfast.) Very healthy breakfast at least!

Won’t it be lovely to see your friend Sue (and Mr Sue) and give them some lovely food.

Betsy, We are putting LJoyce off ever getting a cat!
    So sorry you haven’t got all the ducts fixed today, but so long as you have one warm room!
    Well woot! for the tuna mornay. Are you thinking “I’ve done it now, and I never have to do it again!” or “Hmm, I think next time I will do this or that to make it better”?
    Hooray for eating the freezer out.
    I am wondering if I can leave my veggie shop til Monday since I have got things in the freezer and even some greens big enough to pick from the garden (not to mention the pumpkin and frozen peas 😉 ). The only thing is that I will need to be well enough to shop and then do lots of cooking straight away. Well, more likely then than now, so that is the plan!

Goodbye and best wishes. Cali, are you finding it hard to write because you are still stress eating? Sending you lots of love. Quacka, how are you? Gday, sending thoughts your way too. Neil, have you passed your riding goal?

Cheers all

Afternoon everyone.

I forgot to mention that I did get out for a ride on Monday before I started work and did the last 27 kilometers that I needed to reach my 2020 kilometer goal. I’m now sitting around 60 kilometers into round 2.

Betsy, I think we all get that sweet binge now and again. I have fewer temptations at the moment because one of the conditions of working in the office is that I’m not allowed to leave the building once I’ve swiped in until I finish work at the end of the day. While it’s a nuisance not being able to get out and enjoy the sunshine at morning tea and lunchtime, the up side is I can’t just wander off to the café or supermarket for some junk when I feel like it.

Ljoyce, Don’t beat yourself up about your steps. When you’re unwell you need to do what you have to do to recover. I hope your lung infection improves soon 🙁

Anzac, enjoy your meal with friends. We’re only allowed to link with one other household under level 3 restrictions over here, so we’re connecting with my parents. I stopped off for a cup of tea on the way home from work yesterday. Tonight we’re taking a lamb roast around to their place for a decent catch-up. It’s good to have personal contact with them again.

Cinque, isn’t it funny what we remember, I read Macbeth and King Lear when I was in high school <mumble mumble> years ago and there are plenty of quotes I remember from both including “Macbeth hath murdered sleep, therefore Macbeth shall sleep no more” and the awesome storm scene from King Lear “Blow winds and crack your cheeks, Rage! Blow!” Timeless writing that we still connect with hundreds of years after it was written

Thin, I’m also looking at countries easing their restrictions, I really like the trans-tasman bubble idea that has been put forward once we’re both Covid free, but I think it will be a long time before anyone would consider travelling further afield, or have them come over to us.

Well my boy was disappointed last night. He just wanted KFC for dinner, but the local restaurant was closed and the nearest one after that store had a queue of 50 cars waiting to get in. So he had to settle for some Burger King for dinner. I had a burger and chips, which was the first I’d had for a while and I felt awful afterwards, but ridiculously I felt hungry again about an hour later. So I ended up raiding the cupboards and ate some toast, an Anzac biscuit, some chocolate, some crackers, and some nuts. Unsurprisingly I felt the need to turn today into a fast day to make up for it. I skipped breakfast, had just a coffee before work, I took some pickled vegetables for lunch, then tonight we have our roast lamb. If I just eat the meat and non starchy vegetables then I can stay well within 800 calories for the day.

Well last day of work for the week tomorrow and then back home for the weekend. We’ll have to get our firewood stocked up for the next week because we’re supposed to have a cold front hit us on Monday and we’re looking at getting temperatures of only about 6 or 7 degrees.

Have a great day everyone, and a nice easy fast for those of you joining me in a Thursday fast.

LJ, I’m sorry to hear that you have a lung infection. I hope the antibiotics have you feeling better soon. Don’t worry about walking for now. Your body probably needs the rest to heal.

Penguin, I hope your meeting with the doctor went well and that the jaundice is gone. We’re thinking about you.

Betsy, glad to hear that Wilbur is feeling better. Fur balls can certainly make them feel sick. I expect we’ll be seeing some on the carpet here soon. Our two are starting to shed fur now that it’s getting warmer. We’ve actually had some temps around 27 and 28 for the past week, but tomorrow it goes down to about 23 and 24. Lots of flowers in the garden are blooming. We have a large pink jasmine vine that’s growing up into one of the trees and it smells sooo good as the sun is going down. Funny how the fragrance is so much stronger and night and early in the morning. A nocturnal plant. 😁.

Cinque, it’s nice that you still have vegetables in the garden that you can eat. You’re always very creative with your recipes, nice because you can put off going to the store for more days. I just read that the Costco stores will all begin requiring that everyone wear masks beginning Monday. One of our other stores started that a couple weeks ago. Some of the people on the local media websites are complaining that it violates their constitutional rights to be required to wear a mask and they won’t shop at those stores. Sheesh! Is it just people in this country that are so disagreeable? There have been so many deaths from covid in this country and although they say they are leveling off, it doesn’t seem like much to me. And now several states are opening some things or everything. I’m afraid we will see a big spike after they do. I hope I’m wrong.

Anzac, your hairdressers can open now? That is one of the things that I miss the most. I had put off getting my hair cut and colored before this all started and now it is really too long. It gets so tangled when I wash it and while I’m trying to blow dry it. I’m trying to get OH or DS to cut it for me, but neither one is crazy about the idea. The color is coming in white so doesn’t look much different from the blond coloring. I can probably get by for a long time with that.
    I’m glad you’ll be able to visit your father soon. It’s been quite a long time since you’ve been able to go there in person. I’m sure he will be happy to see you.

Thin, glad to hear you were able to get rid of the old batteries. We watched a family type movie called, “Troop Zero” Saturday night on Netflix. It was light and a feel-good movie. The 3 of us all enjoyed it. We needed the diversion after all the crazy stuff we hear about on the news here lately.

Sunflower, glad to hear that 5:2 is working for you. It’s a very good way to lose weight.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Neil, cleaning the frig at work doesn’t sound like a very fun job. I always put off doing that at home. Fresh foods usually get tossed but I found a jar of minced garlic in the back that had expired in 2017 the other day!

Lindsay,

Hello everyone, I decided to catch up just before dinner, which should limit me babbling on and on (or not 🙂 ).

Great to hear from you, CalifDreamer, and to know that you’re doing okay. Yes, we’ve been fortunate here in hairdressers being allowed to stay open. Not nail or feet people, or massage, just hair, plus applying social distancing to the customers. Irrespective, a lot of hairdressers have closed shop for the time being. My hairdresser’s number has been disconnected, so I know they’re not there, without even going to find out. I hope with things opening up a bit over your way, that you don’t get another surge of Covid-19 cases. The numbers have been so horrific in the States already.
    Yes, cat fur! For Wilbur it’s the move from summer to winter, your two in the other direction, but either way, there’s still fur everywhere. My previous cat was a Burmese, who have a different type of coat, so Wilbur’s shedding was a bit of a surprise to me. He’s just a short-haired ginger tabby, no special breed.

I’ll probably try to buy another Burmese once Wilbur is gone as I love the breed. My doctors might be happier, too. I’ve been tested, and I’m not allergic to cat fur but my doctor and respiratory specialist have both expressed concern that I have a cat who sometimes sleeps on my bed. I kept telling them I had no problem with allergies, but have still had to have various tests a few times. And no, at no time have I had a single positive allergic result, but they persist. Well, I guess I should be thankful for concerned doctors.

Cinque, re the tuna casserole (I don’t think it really qualified as a tuna mornay), my thoughts are – this is okay, I know how to do it now, and maybe in some distant future when I get another hankering for a fish casserole I might make another tuna casserole, someday, maybe. Not hugely enthusiastic, but okay for a change.

Good that you can use up some vegetables and defer doing any shopping till Monday. I think I’ll delay any shopping till the following week and eat up some of my surplus from the freezer. I even have some frozen meat which I can give Wilbur, so no real need to shop, just next Thursday for the Age Green Guide.

Re the ducts, the heating is working okay, I’m just getting some water in when it rains, and the smell comes up into the unit. The ducts won’t be disconnected until the workers come to put in the new ones. And I’m so thankful I still have heat, with Melbourne expecting 12 degrees tomorrow. Brr! Cold for April.

Neilithicman, I chuckled to read of your enforced “isolation” at your workplace for the whole day, not being able to go out even for a coffee. Now provided you resist the urge to take “goodies” into work to eat, you should be right!
    Well done on getting to round 1 of your 2020 km goal.
    I can see another visit to KFC on the horizon. Your son missed out for his birthday, and while Burger King is an adequate substitute, it’s not the same, so he’ll probably press for a KFC visit some time soon. Interesting the effect the starch had on you, of instituting cravings. I’ve found the same if (when!) I eat something designed to be tasty – even knowing I’m full I can walk around just craving something more.

LJoyce, hope you’re improving now with the antibiotics. You’ll be back to your steps when you’re well; don’t push it.

Anzac65, we’re all struggling at times with our ups and downs. I had a real downer late last year and didn’t post much – and it DIDN’T HELP! I agree with Cinque – fess up and be encouraged by your friends here.

Have a good evening all.

Goodmorning, even colder and wetter here than yesterday,

Neil, cheers for round two of bike riding.
    I do agree about how we still connect to Shakespeare. We didn’t do King Lear, but that “Blow winds and crack your cheeks” is now in my head and takes straight me back to a bitter storm I experienced on Mt BawBaw years ago.

So sorry the birthday boy missed out on his FFC, Happy Birthday to him!
    What do they make those burgers of that makes them sends ghrelin rushing to our brains? As well as adding sugar, I think they must process the flour right back to being sugar too.

Enjoy this workday and an (almost) normal weekend, with lots of firewood gathered.

Cali, hi, yes, I am very grateful our winters are so mild. Today will test them, but my seedlings have been doing so well.
    Sending lots of good wishes that the realities of keeping people safe win out against the frustration that can get whipped up so easily. And much sympathy for you longing for a good haircut and colour.
    There is such a long way between ‘starting to level off’ and being able to relax restrictions, especially when the curve has been as steep as it has sadly been in your country. (But what a relief that it is starting to level off).

Betsy, another Burmese cat will be a treat. My next cat will be no cat, haha. I do get allergic to Miso when she has been stressed, not too bad, just like a bit of hayfever. My sister (jokingly) suggested washing her every time she gets stressed (the stress produces proteins in her saliva that she then licks all over herself). Wouldn’t that be a self perpetuating drama!

Good thinking with the tuna casserole. I think I want to try a mornay with white fish fillets, broccoli and cauliflower. One day.

Well, I have woken up feeling a bit fasty! Helped on by the fact I have a huge amount of wonderful soup in the fridge. I think I will have a weekend of just cuppas and soup.

Here is a big bunch of flowers for everyone who needs one: https://media.istockphoto.com/photos/top-view-of-big-bunch-of-flowers-isolated-picture-id499261511

Best wishes for your day.

Good afternoon friends (good morning Thin and Penguin and good evening Cali!)

Brrrrrrr….our seemingly endless summer came to an abrupt halt today. The temperature dropped 10 degrees and the wind is icy. Last weekend we were still swimming in our pool and today I’m in warm trackies, a long sleeve top, a fleecy jacket and ugg boots. I took Maxx’s doona out of the cupboard and put it on his bed and before I could even smooth it out he pounced on it and sank like a contented seal with his chin down and I swear he sighed with bliss.

Here is a pic. Excuse the disgusting floor – he sheds like a mad shedding machine and I only vacuumed 2 days ago!
    http://imgur.com/gallery/5OIJlp9

I’ve had a better couple of days food wise so am happy about that.

LJ, great to hear from you but sorry you are so unwell. I hope your lung infection clears up soon and you can get back to your walking.

Cali, our hairdressers were never forced to close but mine did by choice. It has always felt rather strange that they could stay open when doing hair is such a touchy-feely process by it’s very nature but that was the rule. I hope you can get yours done soon, it certainly helps mentally if your hair is nice. I hadn’t had mine cut since November and i was definitely looking very hippy-ish!

Glad to hear it is warming up in California. I’m not looking forward to winter at all as I feel like I already had one from our European trip.

Thanks for the flowers Cinque 🙂

Betsy, my cat Oscar was a Himalayan Persian, similar to a Burmese I think. I was so heartbroken when we lost him back in 2011 – the same year we lost our first Labrador Benson and my Mum also left us that year. It was a totally crap year to be honest. Hubby bought Oscar on our first wedding anniversary and we had him for 17 years – he was my best buddy and he and Benson got along so well (provided the dog did everything asked for by the cat of course)

I’m so looking forward to seeing my Dad on Sunday. I’m going to make Paella with chicken and seafood (will take my portion out before the seafood goes in). My Aunt, with whom he has been staying, is very much an old school cook (chops, steak, roasts) so he will be looking forward to something a bit more flavoursome and interesting

It’s nearly G&T o-clock so I’m looking forward to putting the spreadsheet away and relaxing into the weekend. Hope you are all ok and have a great weekend

Hi everyone. It’s freezing here (well, 11 degrees Celsius, which is really cold for May 1st), with a torrid blast of frigid air straight up from Antarctica. Brr! Wilbur has only ventured out briefly a couple of times and returns to curl up on my bed, which is where he is now.

@anzac65, loved the picture of Maxx, and I didn’t see any hairs on the ground?? Hope your visit to your dad’s goes well. What a relief to finally be allowed to visit him, and I’m sure he’ll love your paella. Not sure what a Himalayan Persian cat is – if it has lots of hair like a normal Persian, then no, not like a Burmese. Think Siamese with brown fur and a slightly more sturdy but sleek body.

Cinque, lovely floral photo, thank you. There are a few cats which are supposed to be suitable for folk with allergies – Burmese are one breed, and also Siamese and (I think?) Abbysinian (sorry, ?wrong spelling, but something like that). Apparently it’s something to do with their coats being different to normal cat fur. You may be able to consider one like that when Miso is gone. The upfront cost is unfortunately fairly steep, but that’s normal for purebreds.

Have a good weekend, and stay warm!

Cinque. The current lockdown shopping shortages of bread bring Falstaff’s food bill to mind – “not so much as would serve as prologue to an egg and butter”

Anzac, thanks for your kind comments about my blog. I did get my article published and, yay, no errors at first glance. I concur with everyone else, over the years, I feel that those who keep posting seem to fare better. But come on, Anzac, pull yourself together and get on with it! he he he! (After the paella and visit with your dad).

I was sad that DD studied English Lit. in high school with not one reference to Shakespeare. There was a local WA author studied, in my view not worthy of scrutiny, foul language and inappropriate subject matter. I think I’ve also told you the story of their group study of a poem, definitely not Keats, it was all about mushrooms. They had to discuss what they felt the poem represented. Someone said feminism, another abortion, fertility, and so on round the class until it was DD’s turn, “I think it’s a poem about mushrooms”. Black and white like her mother!

I’m quite surprised about hairdressers working and not using face masks (according to my friends in Perth). You might recall that I had that total shearing back in November. I wore a beannie for the rest of the year. The ‘hairdresser’ said as I left that I wouldn’t need another cut until Easter and she was so right. I didn’t have to worry about colour either as there was nothing left to colour. As it began to grow out, I became accustomed to the grey and actually don’t mind it at all. It’s not as grey as I thought it would be.

I wouldn’t consider risking a visit to a hairdresser right now, even if one could be found, but with no hairdryer, my hair is always a total mess. I treated myself to a straightener for my birthday which seems a nutty thing to have on a boat, a bit like a toaster. I can only use it when the engine’s running so even more impractical really. But I can very quickly pass it through the worst of the mess and it does me a few days so money well spent in my view.

Betsy, stay warm. Cinque, fasty weekend. I shall eat some of that excess Mexican Chicken Soup from last weekend. LJ, speedy recovery. Penguin, all the best for your treatment – starting when?

April having been very dry, it rained for the last three days. Today was sunshine and showers. I spent the morning in the greenhouse sowing herbs in smallish terracotta pots to sit just outside the kitchen and planting on salad stuffs that were big enough for larger pots. Because of the lockdown I haven’t been getting enough exercise so this afternoon I had 30 minutes on OH’s exercise bike.

Thin. I have a detailed brief from the medics next Wednesday and the treatment starts the following Wednesday.

Neil. The way NZ handled the Coronavirus is getting a lot of respect here. We seem to be over the peak and there is some talk about easing the restrictions. There has grown up a convention of going into the street and clapping for the National Health Service on Thursday evenings. Our village street has a small turn out and over the last three weeks those of us who play a musical instrument have vied for eccentricity. Last night I played my Crumhorn.

Anzac. I run my diary on the MacBook but we also have an old fashioned joint one on the kitchen wall. Every month it has a different large picture of a Labrador. May is a smart Yellow lad. I will admit that my preference is for black, but a Lab is a Lab.

Good morning,
    I think I thought yesterday was Friday and the weekend at the same time. So win win I had a good soup day yesterday and now I have the whole weekend. I’ll do my normal sensible (delicious) eating today and fast tomorrow.

Anzac, winter shock! I can relate. So glad Maxx has got his doona, and you have a very forgiving camera, your floor looked much clearer than mine.

Hooray for some better food days. May this be one too.

No new cat for me! My last one, Persephone, was going to be my last but then I took on Miso to help my daughter out. I do like cats but I think my compost bins are the right sort of pets for me.
    But while I do think the Burmese are gorgeous, and excellent for people with allergies, my heart goes out to the Himalayan Persians, just exquisite! So just as well I am determined to be catless.

Penguin, who would have thought this thread would bring me such Shakespearean pleasure!
    We seem to have bread in the shops, but no flour or yeast, and a huge contingent experimenting with sourdough! Hooray for home made bread to bring comfort and joy in times of trial.
    Cheers to your little herbs, it will be lovely to have a windowsill full of them, ready to add to your meals.

And far out, brussel sprout, what a great contribution your crumhorn would have made!

I am glad your chemotherapy will begin within a couple weeks (thinking the sooner the better) but it must be hanging over you too, it will be such a relief to be out the other side.

Thin, great work that your article got through unscathed, I hope you get some lovely feedback.
    Hooray that your hair has grown back a colour that you like, and cheers for your hair straightener.

It is so interesting which activities feel safe and unsafe to us, and which ones we are prepared to risk a little more for. All contingent on how safe we feel with service/business, the amount of transmission going on around us and our assessment of our governments’ competence.

Well, today I will be safely staying home and getting surfaces as clear as I can, with some blog reading as reward I hope.

Just a small bunch of flowers today, but a lovely one, and one for each of you 🙂 https://previews.123rf.com/images/longtaildog/longtaildog1306/longtaildog130600013/20359894-small-bunch-of-white-flowers-of-lily-of-the-valley-tied-up-by-twine-on-parchment-paper-background.jpg

Penguin, I had to look up that instrument and, while doing so, lost my post. What tune were you playing on the crumhorn? Our calendar features VW Kombi vans, not that there’s anything to record on its pages. We’ll be thinking of you on Wednesday and Wednesday so keep us up to date if you feel up to it.

Cinque, great names for cats! I think you are so right about people’s confidence in their govt.’s handling. Helen Clark gave a good speech the other day. Places like NZ and Western Australia have the added good fortune of geographical isolation and low populations.

In the UK (pop. 65m), the govt. exceeded its ambitious target of testing 100k pp/per day by the end of April so the defeated media will have to focus on something else. As if there isn’t enough negativity. Obviously, mistakes are made. Maybe I’m naive, but I feel the UK govt. is handling it very well, fully backing the scientists now leading the world in the search for a vaccine. When the ministers speak, they sound credible and focussed. I find it refreshing that, in its daily briefings, the govt. takes questions from members of the public.

Nevertheless, when they start to ease lockdown I, for one, won’t be in any hurry to end self-isolation if 90% of the herd isn’t immune.

Cinque, it was the recent Shakespearean chat that led me into old instruments for our Thursday noise. The week before I gave them my Rauschpfeife. (Old German for “reed pipe”, and noisy). Unfortunately I can’t do Richard 111’s “lascivious pleasing of a lute”, I have yet to own one.

Thin. My neighbour, whose previous weekly offerings had been accordion and trumpet was giving us “Duelling banjoes”. My replies were “Edi beo thu” , a hymn from the late 1200s, modern English “Blessed be thou”, which has a pleasant swing to it, “The Candlestick/Torch Bransle” from 1559 AD and “The Bear Dance”, described as Traditional but pretty probably Tudor. For variety I used a child’s wooden whistle thing that makes a loud noise like an American locomotive.

I have a replica Gittern, the instrument popular here before the Lute. It went out of fashion about the time of Elizabeth 1. It needs re-stringing but if I get it done in time it has a distinctive quite noisy twang.

Back to the original cause of this thread. The Jaundice took several pounds/kg off me and it is staying off. I am 4 lbs, nearly 2 kg below my target weight.

Crikey penguin, I’m going to have to look up every other word. I understood the final paragraph, however. If this keeps up, there’ll just be me, Betsy and Cinque fasting here.

Anzac, cute pic of Maxx.

Good morning,
    Sunday fast day for me.

Penguin, what interesting things we keep learning about you!

Well, I have pulled out my old descant recorder, playing it in the middle of the day with windows and doors closed for fear of how piercing it might be for neighbours. I haven’t played it for years and it is such pleasure remembering old tunes.

Thin, it is quiet here. I am missing everyone, so happy to see new posts. I wonder if 5:2 is taking the back seat for people, or if the days are just rolling into each other and all the usual daily things are melting into an amorphous mass, haha. So long as people are keeping well, or getting weller, that is the important thing.

Today I am making another big pot of soup that will basically use up everything in the kitchen. I’ll definitely need to shop tomorrow (or Tuesday). I will make it delicious with all my little odds and ends. Yes pumpkin and peas, but also black beans, onions, garlic, lots of herbs and a few garden greens, some barley and plenty of tomato. Roasted red capsicum too!

Still cold but the rest of the week will be better.

Australian natives for today’s bunch of flowers. https://foreverflowering.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Matilda-Real-Touch-Forever-Flowering-Flower-Arrangement-1.jpg

Good morning everyone.

I am almost back to normal health. Still a little bit of lung congestion but no sign of infection. I feel back to normal energy levels finally. I even managed to plant some pea and broad bean seeds yesterday (very easy with the damp soft soil) – the first active thing I’ve done all week.
    My eating pattern has been odd. Although I’m normally hungriest at dinner time I found I often didn’t feel like eating my dinner last week and was actually only hungry in the middle of the day (might be because I took the antibiotics half an hour before breakfast and dinner). So despite the lack of activity I lost 0.6kg. I think I might put my anorak on and go for a short walk today. It’s cold out, but not windy so I’ll see how it goes. My breathing will quickly let me know if it’s too soon.

Penguin, I’m glad you have dates for treatment and I’ll be keeping everything crossed that this goes well.
    I had a giggle about the dueling instruments with your neighbour. What a talented chap you are.

Cinque, thankyou for the daily flowers. I was especially partial to the lily of the valley. A plant that we rarely see these days, but my aunt has a big patch under her camellias. I also love snowdrops which have a similar look.
    I’m sure the soup will be tasty. I’m halfway though a pot of lentil-veg-tomato soup at the moment.
    I also had a giggle at your “far out brussel sprout” – I haven’t heard that saying in ages.

Thin, I agree about returning to normal cautiously. I won’t be coming out of isolation and back to normal quickly when the restrictions lift here – which looks like happening Australia wide within the week. South Australia is nearly down to zero cases – we’ve had no new cases for 11 days and have tested 1 in 30 people with testing open to everyone for the last fortnight. Our active diagnosed cases are down to just 12 people who are still sick – none in intensive care. I figure that when those 12 are well again and if we still have no new cases, I will feel better about doing some normal things again, like getting a haircut. Although I might feel differently if they don’t keep our borders with the eastern states closed for a while longer as that seems to be where all the new cases are still cropping up.

Betsy, very glad to hear that Wilbur is back to his normal self. I’ve had several cats over the years. Although none were purebred I had a burmese cross and a siamese cross. Both were great cats and did shed less than normal. When I finally get around to getting a cat it will probably be an RSPCA rescue.

Anzac, hope you are enjoying the weekend reprieve from your long work days. Thanks for the Maxx photo – he really does look very well behaved in most photos so I understand your facebook group not believing the stories you tell.

Cali, Are you still able to get online orders for groceries or do you have to make trips to the supermarket? From the US news I’ve been watching, it looks like wearing masks for outings like that is becoming the expected behaviour there now.

Neil, very happy about your cycling achievement. I’m sure your son was heartbroken about the KFC after all that anticipation. I’m sure he’ll be able to get it eventually. You said you are happy to be back at work – are the kids equally happy to be back at school?

Lindsay, you didn’t say whether you were a permanent or casual. How does the lack of work affect you?

Quacka, I hope your work haven’t changed their mind, yet again, and are still paying you. I also hope that when we able to lift restrictions a bit you’ll be able to see your dad.

Well, I don’t really have any news. Being isolated to the house for the last week means nothing interesting has happened. I have a phone appointment with the orthopaedic surgeon tomorrow – just the annual checkup that I’ve been having since the knee replacement. I also decided to book a massage for Wednesday as my massage therapist has recommenced this at my physio’s premises. As I mentioned before, I was impressed with the measures the physio had taken to prevent infection and as long as I limit the massage to neck, shoulders and back I feel comfortable that it will be safe. My back will be very happy to get back to a normal treatment cycle, which is remedial massage and physio every 6 weeks, but offset so I get some treatment every 3 weeks.

Have a nice Sunday everyone.

Very pleased to report that I managed a 30 minute walk. Longer than I though I’d mange and no difficulty breathing the cold air. I feel very confident that I’m close to completely well now.
    When I got home and turned on the news the SA health team were in the middle of a report on covid status – SA now has ll consecutive days with no new cases and there are only 6 infected people in the state who are still sick. It’s hard to believe things have improved so quickly. As a reward, the skate parks have been reopened (so the teenagers have something to do) and playgrounds have been reopened (so the tiny tots have somewhere to go). I suspect the parents who have been listening to the complaints will also be grateful for that. I hope those of you in other states are also getting such welcome news soon.

LJ, pleased you’re feeling better. That was funny to hear you speak of the ‘eastern states’. In WA, we refer to everywhere else (except NT) as the eastern states! Good news for South Australians. I’m waiting for Cinque to post lilliums, a long-time favourite of mine, although apparently I don’t know how to spell it.

Cinque, the recorder! The only instrument I ever played. London’s Burning! London’s Burning! My brother received all the musical genes, despite my having first choice. Your soup will have a lot of the same ingredients as mine today including black beans, one of my favourite legumes.

Yesterday, we walked to a beautiful farm shop and spent a ludicrous amount of money on some very nice looking produce. It was interesting to note how well people can maintain a 2m distance while queueing outside a venue but completely lose all sense of social distancing once inside. OH couldn’t help himself when he saw a cherry pie. Absurdly expensive, but it’s a much loved childhood memory that his mum used to bake. I could think of far better ways to spend my money and calories but, of course, I had to have some too. We also bought some interestingly coloured cheeses but they’ll have to wait until after my FD which is much needed after that slice of pie.

DD says she’s also frustrated with how ‘thick’ people can be as she puts it. She begins treatment with a phone consultation carefully explaining how everything will work with social distancing. It often involves a car park treatment. Extra time is afforded if it’s a euthanasia so people can say goodbye, keeping it as dignified and caring as possible. Then they’re asked to step away so that the vet can administer the drugs – often climbing into the back of a van, taking personal risks. She says she can’t count the number of owners she then finds breathing down her neck in a cramped space to have a look. So inconsiderate. It’s also strictly emergency care only, yet breeders arrive with new puppies for vaccinations.

On that note, the UK govt. dropped a notch in my high esteem when they announced that hospitals and clinics would begin returning to normal care starting with fertility services. Seriously? We want to begin return to normal by bringing new babies into this mess? I could hardly believe my ears.

We seem to have a number of recorder players. You could all play the Crumhorn. The fingering is the same, you just have to blow a lot harder.

The weather is not being kind today. It rained overnight, is now grey and cold and forecast to stay that way. After a day in the garden yesterday, I am having a slow start. I am currently sitting drinking coffee looking out at the Greenfinches in the garden. I think I saw a Yellowhammer earlier, which would be unusual. They don’t normally come into gardens but we have fields behind us. I need to hear it’s distinctive song to confirm it “A little bit of bread and noooo cheese”.

OH and I have decided to have a day off, we will both do some drawing or painting.

Good evening everyone. Hope you’ve had an enjoyable weekend.

It will be interesting to see what happens re the restrictions – PM Scott Morrison is supposed to male an announcement about it all on Friday 7/5, but I suspect Victoria will still go its own way to some extent. Victoria’s State of Emergency doesn’t lapse till May 11th, and the Premier has refused to consider easing restrictions for Mother’s Day, May 10th. Oh well (not that it affects me, but is an issue for others).There are still small Covid-19 outbreaks happening here, so I guess it’s better to err on the side of caution.

Good to hear from you, penguin, and glad you’ve been actively enjoying your garden. Echoing thin, yes, please let us know, if you’re able, what’s happening re your treatment after Wednesday.

LJoyce, so happy to read that you’re now feeling much better and were even able to go on a 30-minute walk. Well done you. It will be good if you can get back to your regular massage and physio treatments, too.

Thin, I also decided that I would just go gracefully grey, and it hasn’t been too bad. I’d be expected to dye my hair if I lived in China – nearly all older folk do – but happy to just leave it “au naturale” here.

Cinque, love the flower pictures you’ve been posting, especially the Aussie natives. Beautiful. I can just imagine you making a joyful noise on your recorder (probably like my singing, which I try not to inflict on others. Penguin, you sound much more musical than all of us. I am fascinated by the idea of a “crumhorn”.

Re cats, Wilbur was a cat who’d been dumped by his owners. I caught him at work, and when the ranger came, I said I’d be interested in adopting him, and hey presto, instant cat, so basically a “rescue” cat. The Cat Protection Society called me within a few hours to ask if I’d take him as his previous owners weren’t interested – he was microchipped so they could be contacted easily. He was 3 years old at the time and hadn’t been de-sexed, so maybe that was the problem. He was neutered before I was allowed to take him home, but because he had been a “tom” for so long, he still has more of the territorial nature of a tomcat.

Why a Burmese? – no shedding, so much easier to keep the house clean, plus it would keep my doctors happier. Most Burmese are real “people” cats, too, so ideal for someone living alone. Almost as good as having a dog.

Okay, enough. Hi to CalifDreamer, Anzac65, Merryme, Intesha, G’DayfromSA, Quacka, crazyartist, Klondi, and anyone else I may have forgotten – we haven’t forgotten you; have you forgotten us?

Goodnight all.

Viewing 50 posts - 23,551 through 23,600 (of 28,005 total)

You must be logged in to reply.