Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,901 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 12 hours, 14 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 21,601 through 21,650 (of 28,005 total)

• I just been doing some playing with numbers and I found that if I drop another 750 grams down to 98.25 kilos I will have lost 25% of my starting body weight. I wouldn’t quite be half the man I used to be as the song says, but I’m happy with being three quarters of the man I used to be šŸ˜‰

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT1DdO3SISg

Ljoice,
    Gather there are many air fryers out there I’m surprised how cheap some are. Interested in getting one as I’m a hopeless cook. My wife isn’t but once I plan to see out other recipes. I’m in for the long haul. Almost a week of 23 hour fasts and today allowing myself the luxury of 16/8. Will find out tomorrow if my fitness riding a bike will be affected. Looking over this Ste for heaps of inspiration .
    Cheers

G’Day all SH’s.

Today is my difficult fast day – difficult because we shop on Friday, and I do all my precooking like casseroles, legumes, soups this afternoon as I don’t have sufficient fridge space for all our veges in the raw. Cooking whilst OMAD fasting make life a challenge.

Lgbran, welcome. We do OMAD fasting and we have found that if we eat anything at all before our dinner time of 6pm, we will get really hungry and crave something, anything! Mineral water and lots of tea (without milk) throughout the day keep us going.

Klondi, hippo poo definitely sounds more exciting than the doggy doo that I sometimes encounter. All the comments about African travels have definitely moved it up my bucket list.

Anzac, I think our 5:2 WOL is successful, although we intentionally give it up when we are travelling. Its success comes from being able to pick it up when we return home as a viable way of eating. When we started we both within the healthy weight/BMI range but felt that too much of that ‘healthy’ weight was body fat. Adopting 5:2 and being careful about TDEE meant that the weight we both lost was all fat, whilst retaining muscle and bone mass.

We used to call the type of project you are on a “death march project” šŸ™‚ I recall finishing a project with a bank (outside the top four) that was trying to reinvent itself and being asked by a senior manager “well, what do you think of us?”. He was somewhat surprised when I commented that the organisation was “bureaucratic, moribund and highly resistant to change!”. Keep soldiering on.

Lindsay, its a bit frightening that Mr4 knows about the issues with the Adani project. When my boys were that age, in the seventies, they were into Tonka trucks and Lego blocks and wouldn’t have had a clue about current issues. IMHO, I hope that our current generation of youngsters aren’t growing up so aware of current issues in their early years that they don’t have time to enjoy childhood pursuits – and the skills that result form those pursuits.

Neil, 25% is an amazing achievement!

Oh well, back to the kitchen. Roll on 6pm and my Ratatouille.

Regards,

PG

Haha Perth girl….if you could see Mr 4 at play (and his towering stack of Leggo) you wouldn’t have any concerns. But he comes from a very environentally aware family, (and a family of journalists) and he’s been on the odd march and at kindy and at home they are taught about protecting wildlife. Actually all the kids are aware of the environment, and a good thing it is too. I laugh to hear OH ask them whether this bit of kitchen waste or that can go in the green bin ….and they know, to their credit.

Neil, three quarters of your former self is impressive….congratulations.

Good evening,

Welcome LGbran, good to have you here!
    The equal best thing about 5:2 is the part it plays in keeping the weight off once you have got to your healthy weight šŸ™‚
    What an impressive week you are having. That’s giving yourself a superstart.
    While you are losing that 20 kg (again) you can practice making 5:2 an easy sustainable part of life and be confident you can stay at your best weight from now on.
    Nice to have a Geelong person here, I’m Melbourne suburbs. (And two and a half years of maintaining my healthy weight. Hooray.)

Crazy, how frustrating that your waist has stayed the same. Do you think you have lost some more weight? I hope you can do good fasty fast days over the next couple of weeks and see some definite skinniness. If not Thin will come out of her new water palace and give you a Talking To (note capital letters).
    I’ll be fasting with you on Sunday.

Anzac, enjoy that pasta machine. I have a (not very well kept) rule that I only eat pasta if I make my own. I love my pasta machine and it is so easy and delicious to make my own. But I somehow do it very rarely. My favourite is making lasagne using sheets I roll out through my machine.
    Hooray for your good night’s sleep. Is there anything so precious? Big congrats for that 84.4. You are doing it!
    Lovely to know you are an archeology/history lover too. Won’t you love Rome!

Quacka, no Scotch ancestry? In our family scotch broth was more stew than soup and it brings such memories of childhood winter dinners. But not at all fancy and I can’t bear to fancy it up. Ooh I must make some.

(This is what Simon Hopkinson writes about it, I think he is spot on:
    A good Scotch broth should, once thoroughly cooked, have a look about it that says, ‘Hmmm … yes, a dull bowlful if ever I saw one.’ Any Scotch broth that looks too colourful [save for plenty of chopped parsley added at the end], too neatly and finely diced – or, heaven forbid, too thin – should be looked upon as an interloper. The lamb should never be ‘cooked off’ [a meaningless, overused chef’s term – at least to the home cook], as many misguided folk now recommend for the making of a Lancashire hotpot, for example, where the meat is first fried in a pan to brown it. Pieces of lamb that simply stew, almost in their own juice, produce one of the most subtle and beautiful flavours I know. And always simply add water, not a pre-made stock, which produces something else entirely.)

Thin and PerthGirl, such a good reminder about NO SNACKING it makes a huge difference (especially in the number of vegetable serves in a day)!

Lindsay, haha that little tot, the way they put things together. So sad to hear of all the tree loss, though.
    How frustrating that blurriness must be, Come on brain, you can do it!
    My unwellness is the same old, same old, CFS. I realise that as well as needing to recover each time I visit my friend, my general health has slowly slowly been declining month by month. I am relieved as a big part of the symptoms are cognitive and I was just about to ask for tests re Alzheimer’s, but if it is the CFS I will slowly recover when I stop overdoing it (driving an hour each way is overdoing it, sigh).

Neil, great numbers! No sound on my computer at the moment so the video clip went over my head!

PerthGirl, yikes, yes. A difficult fast day indeed. But it must be nice to think you can eat them tomorrow.

I didn’t post this morning as I was going slow and just had time to ready myself for little Miss 2 who was wonderful as always. Interesting ideas about growing up. She said to her mum “When you grow down, I will breastfeed you.”

Non fast day today so I am off to make an evening meal with lots of lovely veggies. Bye!

Good evening all, just finishing a FD here with a small omelette filled with spinach, sorrel and mushrooms.

Lgbran & PerthGirl, I too only eat dinner on FDs and I usually skip breakfast on NFDs too. I’m another of those who doesn’t have an appetite until I start eating and then struggle to find the “off” switch
    I do however allow myself milk in my cups of tea on FDs – I allow enough calories for that as I don’t enjoy black tea.

Neil, I didn’t get the song reference until they got to the appropriate line about being half the man they used to be. I also wasn’t aware that there was any song called “Creep” other than Radiohead’s. So I’ve learned something new.

Crazy, you might not be seeing a change in your waist, but are your clothes getting looser elsewhere? Sometimes where we lose weight can be uneven.

LGbran, Lindsay & Cali, I hope the search for the right airfryer goes well. Klondi, I hope you are having success with yours – please let us know what you think of the Aldi one as those on the hunt may be grateful for the review.
    When I bought my initial small Phillips model it was easy as they were fairly new to the market an there weren’t many choices. There have been many new brands introduced since then which can make the choice more difficult. I definitely recommend going to a store and looking at and handling some airfryers. I think you get a better idea of the size you need for your family that way.

Cinque, I do not brown the lamb shanks, I cook it the way my mum did – in a pot of cold water, with a halved peeled onion and perhaps a bay leaf. Then simmer for many hours until the meat falls off the bone and the onion has pretty much dissolved. I never use the stock until day two as I want to get that thick disc of white fat off the top. I am always generous with the pearl barley which usually means I can just about stand a spoon up in the final soup – especially on day two. It’s one of those soups that are definitely a meal. I do think it’s colourful though, because I always use carrot and I add fresh parsley at the end.
    Only a 2 year old could think that one up!

Lindsey, I hope you can manage to get the new frame into the beehive without getting stung. Hopefully the new beekeeping suit will do its job.

For the first time in ages I managed to walk longer than 30mins today without my back complaining. So I’m planning to do a 90min walk with my best friend tomorrow down to the sea shore. We will break the walk up by stopping for lunch at a cafe. I’m hopeful that the 1 hour break mid-walk should allow me to manage it. If not, I’ll be moaning about my stupidity tomorrow evening!

Neil, congrats on your 25% loss! That is indeed a milestone to be proud of.

Cinque and LJ, I never brown meat that I am adding to soup or stews either. I donā€™t see the point. The rest of the ingredients in the soup usually cover up the brown color anyway. And often the meat is falling apart by the time itā€™s finished. I rarely use a stock either unless Iā€™m not cooking it long enough for flavors to really develop, which is sometimes the case with vegetarian soups.

We went to a grocery with lots of grains, nuts and seeds in bins yesterday. I bought s bunch of mung beans finally, and found a new one that I hadnā€™t tried before, a Peruano bean. I think theyā€™re also called Canary beans. Iā€™m making some ā€œrefriedā€ beans with them in the Instant Pot right now. They will be somewhat mashed rather than fried. I had them in for about 15 minutes unsoaked but had to put them back in for another 12 minutes because they werenā€™t quite soft enough. They smell wonderful!

My FD yesterday was successful. I had managed to gain some since Mondayā€™s FD, but ended up with a 500 gram loss over last Friday. I will be very happy if I can do that for the next 4 weeks.

Lindsay and Cinque, I love hearing all the funny things the Littles come up with. They are so honest and have a logic all their own.

Cinque, I wouldnā€™t worry too much about cognitive issues. I think itā€™s just part of growing older. We were talking with our friends who are around the same age a couple weeks ago, and it was funny to note how we all took longer to remember words or names of movies, tv shows, songs, etc. We have so much info at our disposal these days with the internet and I think we fill our brains to overload some days. We find ourselves asking Alexa for so many facts that we canā€™t quickly come up with. Itā€™s not that we donā€™t know it, itā€™s just the RAM thing. šŸ˜

Cali, that’s an excellent result – hanging onto most of the losses from two FDs. I rarely manage that.

FD was fine yesterday even though I didn’t have bridge to help occupy my time. This confirms that I can continue to use Mon & Fri as FDs if I want to. From next week my bridge session shifts from Friday afternoon to Thursday morning so I was considering a shuffle in FDs, but I think I’ll leave them as they are for now. I never thought I’d want to not fast on Sundays but actually I think this works better for me. It also puts me into a reasonably fixed FD routine which is also something I hadn’t done, preferring to keep it flexible.

The weather is still mild and sunny here, but the rain and winds are coming tonight. Looking forward to a walk this afternoon while the sunshine lasts.

Have a nice Saturday all.

Hi folks,
    Lovelly Winters day here in Southern Victoria. Will wait til Aldi have their Air Fryer advertised. Going to do a short ride on bike. Will be the first one since reduced food intake. I walk daily that’s a given and a ride, row on indoor rower. Yesterday tried 16 hour fast and 8 hour eating window and trying to lm it myself to 7000 kjoules daily. Went over but not beating myself up. OMAD seems to work. It’s only week 1. I’m a all or nothing person. I’m surprisd that I’m not hungry. It’s empowering to control what goes into your mouth.

Going for a cruise next year which will be challenging in itself but by then my weight will be down and this lifestyle firmly entrenched . I notice there is quite a few ancronyms used. Is there somewhere I can find what they mean. Hope everyone is having a great day and enjoying their weekend.
    Cheers

Hi all

My brother is doing the Keto diet so I thought Iā€™d make him some Keto snacks. The one I made were called ā€œfat ballsā€. It was cream cheese, peanut butter and coconut oil mixed together, rolled into balls and then coated in a dark chocolate/coconut oil mixture. I can see why people lose weight on that diet, I tried one of the balls when I was making them and it was so rich that I didnā€™t feel like eating anything for the rest of the day.

Hi all, finally back and “sort-of” back to normal. Still get really tired easily, some kind of post-viral exhaustion, which is frustrating but I just have to ride it through. Weigh-in today had me at 0.8 kg less than at the start of the month, so I am reasonably happy with that.

Lots to respond to – will try. Neilithicman, great that you are only 75% the man you used to be, and long may it continue! Re the tennis, I just couldn’t stay up to watch the Federer/Nadal semi-final as it was way too late, but I had an evening nap on the Sunday so I could watch the final. Was really rooting for Federer, but after he didn’t transform the 2 championship points …. Djokovic was just more successful with the tiebreaks.

LJoyce, interesting blurbs on airfryers. They’re not something I’ve ever thought of buying, but now I’m interested. Hope you continue enjoying the bridge at novice level.

Anzac65, hope the tum has settled down properly now. Naughty Maxx, like all teenagers, good some of the time, but at other times….

Thin, you are really tantalising us with the clues you’re dropping re the near future bucket list. I’m plumping for a houseboat.

Klondikekween, will you be at the big-70 as well in October? A meeting with Cinque to celebrate (in a very controlled calorie fashion!) sounds like fun.

LindsayL, hope the adding of an extra bar to the hive went successfully. Have you robbed the hives at all yet?

CalifDreamer, yes, trying to bring the word from the brain to the voice can be a challenge at times, but …. I think we’re also a bit more aware of it as we age. I can remember being frustrated trying to articulate words in my twenties, and I didn’t automatically assume my brain had a problem.

PerthGirl, thin, Anzac65, what adventurous lives you’ve led. I’ve visited or lived in a few different countries, but always in relative comfort. Zebras? Hippos? Camping in a bare tent? No, like Anzac65 (I think), give me at least a 3-star hotel, thank you!

Enjoyed the quote mentioned. Another which came up on the same forum which I have been pondering recently as it’s so true (and I may have misquoted it, but the substance is there): If you really want to do something, you will do whatever it takes to make it happen; if you don’t want to do it, you’ll find any excuse not to. I have a friend who is frequently bemoaning her overweight state, but …. has not and will not make any changes which would aid in weight loss. It makes me very sad.

But, we are not of those who give up, but we persevere, and the weight comes off! šŸ™‚

Am I all alone for a Sunday fast again today? Sorry to see you go LJ but a more fixed FD routine would be preferable in my view so I see why you’re changing days. I love my Sunday fastsl It’s the day we decided, “well, why not start right now?” nearly 5 years ago.

Cinque, I was concerned to read that you feel that your health is declining on a monthly basis. Do look after yourself. As far as the loss of words, I’ve been worried about this for some years now. Friends assure me that they, too, experience it and that it’s normal. I’m quite sure it isn’t. Another declining mental function for me is the ability to make decisions (decisively!). I never had trouble forging my path when younger.

Lgbran, Australia must be the land of acronyms and they do my head in. Just ask.

Betsy, all will be revealed once we’re out of here. Not long now.

As mentioned, I’m fasting today. The usual – cauliflower soup and Mexican chicken soup for dinner. 56.3kg. Continuing with 6:1 for the immediate future.

Good morning,
    Fast day for me too, and I have miso soup things soaking. You are not alone Thin!

We seem similar in our Scotch broth LJoyce, but I am afraid my carrots get such a long cooking they lose their vibrancy. Taste delicious though!
    I hope your back is not complaining too much after that wonderful walk.

Cali those Peruano beans sound great. In fact the whole grocery store sounds wonderful. Lovely to have a good supply of a wide range of pulses!

Lgbran, it sounds like you are going great, and hooray for not beating yourself up, seeing as how it would be counter productive anyway. And how wonderful to be working along without struggling with hunger. You will be in lovely shape for your cruise.

Betsy, glad you are getting so close to ‘normal’. I hope you can keep treating yourself gently until you feel full of beans.
    Yay for that October meet up. Just coffee suits me.

Yes, I did blame old age for those cognitive problems for a while. They got scarily worse though and the cognitive problems with CFS are serious, I need to make changes and hopefully they will stop getting worse and start improving.

So a quiet day today, and hoping fasting is helping. Cheers all.

Hi everyone Thin i fast on sundays always have Tuesday and Thursday too… ive caught the bug you have all had feel terrible and had the flu shot shucks miserable time all around. Garlic and echinacea being taken

Would also like to know what some of the abbreviations mean spend a fair bit of time trying to guess, helps pass the time lol

Anyway off to my tissues and hot lemon and honey drink 94cals but the throat does feel better… have a good sunday

Hi Crazy,
    I forgot the acronym request! I’ll do the ones I remember and others can add to it.

5:2 (5 normal eating days, 2 light eating days)
    4:3 (4 normal eating days, 3 light eating days)

16:8 (16 consecutive non eating hours, 8 hours when the day’s eating is done)

FD Fast Day
    NFD Non Fast Day

WOE Way of Eating
    WOL Way of Life

OMAD One Meal A Day

Family:
    OH Other Half
    DD Dear Daughter

BMI: Body Mass Index
    BMR: Basal Metabolic Rate
    TDEE: Total Daily Energy Expenditure
    (see https://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/)

And my personal one CFS is the chronic illness I have: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (also called ME and SEID just to confuse you).

PS Take care, hope you recover quickly.

Thanks cinque figured your personal was ms so thanks for clearing that up for me and DD had me stumped lol have two so could be tricky lol when they gang up on me i might have another name for them entirely hahaha

Cinqe ,
    Thanks for the info. My iPad froze last night so I ended up eating quite a few KJ as I come to grips trying to fix ii up. Was a bit ticked off with myself for having food as a coping mechanism. Hard but not mpossible to change ingrained habits.im planning to do 23 or close to with 1 hour eating for the foreseeable future.

I’d love to go 36 hours to go from time to time but not sure is that’s the smartest practice. I’m on a few medications for other issues so will see how I go.Onwards and upwards or in my case downwards with regards to weight.Todays been a good day, suns out, dog needs a walk. Was an excercise junky, running marathons. Excecise is helpful but not the answer.This forum is the bees knees. Off to walk my little pooch.
    Cheers

Evening Neil. Well evening in the far north. Well done on that serious weight loss. I understand your reaction to the cricket. I saw the last of the game on TV and thought we were stuffed. That “off the Bat” set of runs may have been legal but was hardly just. It can’t have helped that the English batsman concerned was born in NZ. I don’t know how big netball is with you, but your team has beaten ours! For the entertainment of the rest of the SH, the Australian women’s cricket team are one win short of a whitewash against ours. It was good to see an Australian spinner in action again.

I am having a NZ evening. I spent the morning in the cockpit of a retired Vulcan bomber explaining it to a series of visitors – got the chance to practice my German. When I got home I put a shoulder of NZ lamb into the oven, to be accompanied by potatoes, broad beans (Fava I think to Cali) and courgettes (Zuchini) from my garden. The wine was from the Rhone. Now extremely relaxed but I will have to go out to water the veg garden – contrary to popular SH opinion, it doesn’t always rain here.

Well the English cricketers managed to squeeze a draw, so it wasn’t a whitewash. Just feels like one.

So the English women cricketers managed to squeeze a draw…just like the men šŸ˜‰

I’m kidding, but the newspaper headlines over here the following day were “New Zealand lose final by 0 runs”

I’m really pleased about the netball. I had pretty much written off our chances in the world cup after our dismal performance in the Commonwealth Games last year, where we didn’t even make the semi-finals, losing to Malawi and Jamaica along the way. From what I understand, it was almost like a home game for New Zealand because the English crowd were getting behind us. I guess everyone likes the underdog.

It was a really dismal weekend over here, it poured with rain on Saturday and on Sunday it had retreated to that annoying drizzle that is too light to be any good for the garden, but too heavy to go outside and do activities. I did go out for a round of Frisbee golf in the afternoon and came home cold and drenched. On the good side, today the kids go back to school so we won’t have them mooching around the house complaining of being bored, although they didn’t seem overly happy to be going back to school either.

I hope everyone has a good week.

Good morning friends

Another crazy weekend ā€“ where did it go? I canā€™t believe it is already Monday morning. We were out for lunch on Saturday followed by dessert and nibbles back at our place. Then my Dad came over yesterday instead of Monday and we had a big lunch and more ice cream! The scales crept up a bit but I managed to keep them reasonable by skipping breakfast and limiting my wine intake greatly

PerthGirl, I donā€™t intend on fasting on our holiday either and will just try and not overeat constantly. Whatever goes on will come straight off when we get back and, as you said, thatā€™s why this WOL is so wonderful

Lindsay, how lovely that the littlies are so environmentally aware.

Welcome lgbran, this forum certainly is the bees knees. What sort of dog do you have? We have a crazy, naughty Labrador who is 21 months old. More on that later

Oh Cali, refried beans brings back memories of Mexico. I really really do not like them but every meal came with a big splodge and it would ruin the rest of the meal as even if I tried to eat around them the taste ended up in my mouth somehow. I would beg ā€˜no beans, no beansā€™ but my pleas fell on deaf ears! Iā€™m sure yours were lovely though ļŠ

Cinque, Iā€™m so sorry to hear that you feel your health is declining. CFS is such a dreadful disease. I hope the changes you are making really help

I hope you are able to get over the awful Flu Crazy. Itā€™s been a dreadful year for it

The weather at the moment is spectacular. Yesterday it was 8 degrees above average and felt like a summers day in the middle of the day. Still very cold at night and in the morning

Maxx was a total nightmare at training on Sunday and one of the male trainers said that we absolutely had to do something about his jumping up as he will eventually hurt someone. He is back to not walking properly and pulling on the lead. So we got a nose bridle on their recommendation. We tried one once before but he was so against it we didnā€™t use it. We introduced it slowly whilst streaming treats yesterday and he seemed ok with it. However hubby took him walking this morning and he immediately backed out of it so he mustnā€™t have fitted it properly. Anyway we will take it back next Sunday and ask them to show us the right way to do it. Honestly I am questioning why we got a dog right now ā€“ as much as we love him he is really trying our patience.

Hi everyone else, I have read all of your posts but have run out of time to reply to all. Have a great day

Cinque and Crazy, hope your FDs were a big success yesterday. Mine went without incident and I’m steady at 56.3kg this morning.

Thin im feeling a little better today stayed with soups to coat the throat dont think i made the 500cals today has started out similar just fluids lol

A very quick hello before I get on with the ‘work’ part of my day.

Cinque, really sorry to hear you’ve not been well. I’d like to say ‘look after yourself’ but I know you already do that, and therefore it becomes a rather meaningless phrase. But I do mean it, and I am concerned for you. Do you find the cold weather affects you? Hoping that Spring (only a month and a bit off now) brings better health.

No carb day for me today, and FD Tuesday and Wednesday.

Thin is the 6:1 working for you? Actually with all your activity and the stress of selling and packing, it’s no wonder you have dropped a little. I bet you look fabulous.

My hive activity ended with a whole comb breaking free – I’m just not practised at this. One part was full of brood (ie eggs in various stages), and there was so much honey on the comb that it was dripping on my suit. The girls were very cross with me so we did what we could (putting in two new bars because it was pretty crowded in there, and the worst of the cold is over for a week for two (27 in Brisbane forecast for tomorrow). The good side was that the top of the comb was full, absolutely full, of honey cells that we were able to use. The bad side was that a piece of fresh bread with butter and home harvested honey is absolutely addictive – so I didn’t just have one. (Hence my no carb day today … I know I can’t just have one piece).

Anzac don’t give up on Maxx just yet – he’ll turn a corner and realise that he’s too old for such antics. Our red setters were like that as adolescents…. mad, mad. I wonder if it’s true of all gundogs?

Happy week all.

Good morning, need to be quick as Miss 4 is coming this afternoon for a quiet play šŸ˜‰ no really.
    Good fast day yesterday.

Slight ipad-led over-indulgence Lgbran, but those old bad habits just sit waiting for a stress break to let them resurface. Hooray for new habits gaining better control, and fast days to balance things out.

Congratulations on your fast day Thin, and best wishes for a good week.

Lots of good sport around!

Anzac, Oh that Maxx, has he got a little curl right in the middle of his forehead? Good luck this week. Keep on keeping on!

I was blaming grand children and those trips to Central Victoria to see my friend, for my declining health, but I realised in the middle of the night (as you do) that my skipping is probably the main culprit. Unfortunately it is clearly helping my breathing: twenty years of avoiding raising my heart beat because it makes CFS symptoms worse, resulted (I think) in my heart not managing to get air into my lungs when I was sitting or standing too long. So now the trick will be to find the balance where I can exercise my cardio vascular system without worsening my CFS. 30 skips every third day s my new trial. Crazy, I am very glad not to have MS.

Also Crazy, aren’t soups just the best. Sending get well wishes.

Big hellos to everyone else. Best wishes for a great day.

Oh Lindsay, just saw your post. Thanks so much for the good wishes but Oh that bread and honey sounds divine. How could you not eat lots! The bees do really love you and your home! Now enjoy your carb free day!

Hi Cinque, I hope you manage to find a good balance with your exercise. One of my friends has ME, he also gets chronic headaches and he’s hanging out for the government’s debate on the legalisation of medicinal marijuana over here later this year, because at the moment he’s in the hospital at least once a month for his headaches and is on copious amounts of pain killers that look more like horse tranquilisers.

Good morning everyone and welcome Lgbran. You mentioned using apps to help you with fasting. I would be interested in some of those if you have time to mention them.

It’s Monday FD today for me and I am feeling good about it. I think I will have a miso veggie soup for dinner so I will look forward to that tonight. I have bought another tin of Tuno to have for 3pm as the chilli flavour I had already bought has about 200 calories instead of 88 like the springwater flavour. I also bought a lemon pepper flavoured one to try which has similar calories to the springwater – that chilli sauce must have a lot of sugar or oil in it to make it so many more calories.

The scotch broth was interesting to read about. I always brown the meat even if I am putting in the slow cooker. I prefer the colour of the final product and I do think it gives it more flavour. Funnily, all the recipes i looked up for scotch broth were all very colourful. Actually they looked similar to my meat and veggie casseroles just with a lot more liquid.

I hope everyone has a great day and a nice easy one for us fasters, if there is anyone with me. I’ll be checking in throughout the day to keep me positive and focussed.

Here are some more abbreviations I copied from another thread

IF Intermittent Fasting
    WOL Way of Life
    FD Fast Day (500 cals)
    MFD Modified Fast Day (800 cals) on the new Fast800, itā€™s a FD
    WFD Water Fast Day (Water only)
    CFD Controlled Fast Day (1200 cals)
    NFD Non Fast Day
    EFS Epic Face Stuffing (weā€™ve all had one of those days!)
    5:2 5 days NFD:2 days IF
    ADF Alternate Day Fast, FD, NFD
    16:8 16 hours fast 8 hours non fast
    B2B Back 2 Back (days of FD or WFD)
    Hunger Dragon ā€“ that dreadful psychological beast that sometimes cannot be satisfied
    DD, DS Darling Daughter, Son
    OH, Other Half
    LOL Laughing Out Loud
    Keto, way of eating that generates Ketones
    LC, Low Carb way of eating
    LCHF, Low Carb High Fat way of eating
    TDEE: Total Daily Energy Expenditure (see the ā€˜how it worksā€™ link on the home page to work out yours)

Good afternoon everyone.

It’s getting windier and more overcast by the minute here. I’ve squeezed in a decent walk this morning before the weather becomes too inclement.

My NFD on Saturday was fine – one planned indulgence as I had lunch with a friend at a cafe near neat Brighton beach. Yesterday was fine until dinner time and then I wanted dessert. But I just couldn’t seem to stop at one thing. I had 4 squares of dark chocolate, a handful of almonds, 2 slices dried apple and 4 malt biscuits. Then I finally managed to get in control again and call a halt to the nonsense.

Quacka, I’m fasting with you today. I’ve noticed that with real tuna, the flavoured ones always have more calories than those in brine or water. I suspect it a combination of oil and sugar.

Neil congratulations on the netball win. I have some cousins who are netball mad who are rather dejected today.

Lindsay, I agree with Cinque, fresh honey on bread and butter sounds divine. The subsequent slice(s) are totally understandable.

Cinque, when my father was in hospital they sent a physio to him to teach him how to breathe deeply and he always took shallow breaths. Several times a day he just had to take 10 breaths by filling his lungs as much as he could then hold for a couple of seconds and exhale slowly. He was bed bound at the time so it was the only way to improve his breathing. I’m wondering if that might be a way of helping your situation without the stress that skipping seems to place on your body.
    Cinque, your mung bean soup is just as delicious as I remember. Right from the start of cooking it, the smell of the cumin and fenugreek seeds frying in the oil always sets my mouth watering. This time I used split mung beans as they had much quicker soaking and cooking times. I also had the luxury of home grown spinach in the soup as my 4 plants are growing really well at the moment. I had to also give away bunches to my neighbours last week to give all the new leaves room to come through. It shows that this is really a winter plant as the spinach seeds I planted in spring-summer bolted to seed quickly. These show no sign of doing that.

Crazy, get well soon. Make sure you have plenty of fluids. I found hot honey and lemon (especially in the evening) helped my throat and minimised the coughing.

Penguin, I hope you are safely home again now. I saw on the German news that there are bad bushfires in Portugal at the moment.

Anzac, something I remember being told by a neighbour who was training their new puppy, was the importance of consistency with rules. She said that if they let Mintie (their border collie pup) get away with something occasionally it took ages to correct the bahviour. Not sure if that’s useful in dealing with Maxx.
    I have made Cali’s refried beans recipe and they were delicious. I was generous with the cumin which is a favourite spice flavour for me.

Lgbran, so many things can trigger an eating episode and frustration, stress, mood etc are among them. All we can really do in hindsight is to become more aware of what our triggers are and gradually develop strategies for reducing the damage. Over time it really can improve. I used to have a serious problem with binge eating that felt uncontrollable. Over time and using various mindfulness and support strategies I’ve gradually reduced to problem to a rare short episode – like Sunday night. Our food triggers are very long standing and ingrained behaviours and that’s not something that can be changed quickly. It takes time, perseverance and setbacks. Gradually we see it more clearly and develop better tools for dealing with it.

On Saturday a friend and I walked to Brighton beach for lunch and then back to my place again. I was worried that the walk would be too much for my back but it was ok. We took our time over lunch and that rest break made a big difference. On the way home we called into a Vinnies op shop where I had the good fortune to find 2 pairs of jeans that fit perfectly (except they are too long of course). They are a lightweight denim so will be perfect for spring-summer. I so rarely find jeans that fit that this was an exciting find. The pile of things that need the hems taken up is growing – I’m going to have to get that sewing machine out soon. I just haven’t felt like doing it as all my sewing gear is still in boxes. I’m waiting on my nephew to take one of my craft tables away so that I can organise that room and set up my sewing machine.

The railway station near me has been undergoing a major redevelopment over the past year. They are consulting the community on what to do with a land reserve near the station. One idea that is gaining traction is a community garden. I have already responded and said I’m happy to contribute my labour to that. In the area we have lots of new housing with little outdoor space, a diverse range of cultures (who may want to grow things they can’t find here) and also some multi-level housing trust apartment blocks with little scope for gardening. So I can see a need for it and it would be lovely to have something like that to bring members of the community together. Having somewhere I can garden long term would also be an added bonus for me.

Time for my second pot of tea for the day. I have a 1/2 banana waiting for mid-afternoon and a bowl of mung bean & spinach soup for dinner. I couldn’t find any small bananas this week so I had to settle for large ones that I cut in half. I always aim for bananas that weigh no more than 125g including skin and the closer I can get to 100g the happier I am.

I am literally being tortured right now.

It is 3.50pm on Monday FD and my dear mother in law has just brought in a loaf of freshly baked wholemeal sourdough bread, wrapped in a tea towel as it is still warm from the oven.

I am dying here……

Quacka,
    Sounds like your mother in law is testing you out. I can smell it from hear near the coast. Must be wafting across the bay. Hopped on and off my scales, tried again, gave it a tap, turned it around to no avail.
    I’ve liost the grand total of 200 grams. I was almost in tears. A few years back I lost 20 kgs by eliminating bread, pasta, rice, snacks. I lived on peas and corn and the weight fell off. It came back on n time from medication changes and eating normally again. I regard myself as active. Thankfully it’s a step in the right direction. Would have been really peeved if I’d gained 200 grams. Let’s see what another week of 22/2 will do. Gotta stay strong.

Cinque I stumbled across a number of your recipes. Keen to try as I’m not a cook. I gotta google how to boil an egg. Re breathing there are a lot of apps out there but I try and mindfully breathe daily. This means breathing in for the count of 4 breathing out for the count of 4 building up to 5 and 6 and after a few minutes returning back to normal breathing. Also progressive muscle relaxation helps. I’m determined to get my weight down.Bit like my team Carlton winning the premiership. In time,
    Cheers

I made a new dinner dish tonight that went down well. I roasted pumpkin until it was still a little firm, mashed it up, added cooked lentils, onion, cumin seeds, fresh coriander and then an egg to bind it then shallow fried them as patties. I made some garlic/coriander yoghurt sauce to go on them. They all got demolished so that one will go into regular rotation.

A milestone is coming up tomorrow, it will be 6 months since I decided to do something about my weight and started the fast800/ intermittent fasting way of life. I wonā€™t weigh in because my weigh in day is the following day.

https://i.imgur.com/MGasqXW.jpg

This is the top view of the offending item. It has been made in a small cake tin so itā€™s not actually that much that I have eaten. I think I am still within my 500 calories as the rest of my food for the day was 250 calories. Oh I love miso soup!

Evening all…

Work and family plus social events (we have relos visiting from overseas) made it hard to keep up with the posts, but I am trying!

Cinque, hope you’re feeling better. My aunt oversea has to cope with CFS for years and still is pretty much up and down. It’s something many people find hard to understand because it seems nothing is “physically wrong” but I have seen her when energy just zap out and its a huge struggle.

Quacka, thank you for that list of acronyms (Cinque too). I was wondering what the heck WOL is. Very helpful! Reading about the bread from your MIL is making me crave for some butter on toast now.

Neil, 25% is massive achievement! I think we started IF around the same time (Feb 2019?) and it is so encouraging to hear how well others are doing on this WOL (hey hey… I worked that acronym in!)

Tomorrow (and Thursday) will be a FD for meļ¼ˆanyone else?).. Good thing its a busy work day so I am going to be occupied. I had to make last Sunday, my other FD, an OMAD because there was a family dinner (which was fairly huge banquet style meal so I didn’t have carbs to compensate). It meant I lost only 200g for the week (my Weigh in comparisons are based on Monday mornings). Bit disappointed but guess it’s still downward trend (rather than gaining).

Anyway, got to go take kiddo for piano lessons now..

Big hello to everyone else and have a fantastic Tuesday!

Morning, evening, good night all. It is mid morning here and I am having a quiet day catching up and getting organised for the rest of the week. OH is away for two days at a meeting of Botanical Artists, but travelling daily so I’ll make a Mediterranean Fish soup for this evening. Tomorrow I start three days at an arts summer school, also travelling daily. I go most years, there is usually a class in something I am not good at. There is a mass of Spinach in the garden so I’ll do something with that when I get back.

There have been so many posts since I was last regularly on this site that I had to go back three pages to get some idea of what is going on. If I fail to respond to something I should have noted, forgive me.

Betsylee. OH uses prednisolone for asthma, not regularly, it is her back up. One of the few advantages of age is that it has become less of a problem. Geography also helps. One of the reasons we spend so much time in Portugal is that for her it doesn’t happen there. It sounds as though you are not having a good time at the moment.

LJ. You are not having fun either, the sooner that virus goes the better. We have been back in UK for a few weeks and probably won’t go to Portugal again until November.

LindsayL. You as well. Are we all failing? I find it difficult to believe that anyone can stop after one square of chocolate. I either don’t eat it or I eat it all. I also put dark chocolate in my Chillis, or other largely bean meals.

Cinque. For the heating I second all of those Yeeeehs. You quote one of my favourite cooking writers. Simon Hopkinson also made a couple of TV series here. I was in absolute envy of his kitchen. I could really enjoy having one with a comfortable armchair in which to sit whilst things happen. As for monthly health deterioration. On 1 Jan 1981 I started to keep a record of my daily runs and gym performance. It is a downwards curve of progressive deterioration.

Klondike. OH is 2 years and two months older than me. Those two months were important – she refused to get married until after my birthday so that there would be two years and not three on the wedding paperwork.

Quacka. When I was a kid we had very little money and largely lived on what my father could grow. That left me with a hatred for Brussels sprouts, which was not lessoned by OH in her first pregnancy waking in the night and demanding sprouts. It was only when I discovered that if I par-boiled them, then fried them off with garlic, bacon and Balsamic vinegar they could be good to eat. I had the same problem with broad beans until I learned to skin the individual beans.

Perthgirl. You will like Porto. Great location on the river and the old town is compact enough to be walkable. The only problem is the food. It is so good and there are so many places to get it. Fortunately, or unfortunately, our local LIDL has started to do a presentable Pastel de Nata.

Anzac. My family were Lab enthusiasts. Most of them (the dogs that is) were slow to mature. I trained a working Lab but she wasn’t steady until she was about 30 months, after which she was rock solid. All my other dogs came from rescue centres, the oldest being five years when we got him. Contrary to popular opinion, you can teach an old dog new tricks. My Max had been homed five times before I got him, every one brought him back because he was vicious and nasty. I had him seven years and he was a good lad.

Well it was mid-morning when I started this. Between now and my lunchtime breakfast I will go and put another coat of Gesso on the MDF I’ll be painting on tomorrow. Then I will make and freeze rissoles with the lamb left over from last night. I minced the lamb earlier with an old iron hand mincer that I have had for so many years that I can’t remember where it came from.

Have fun everybody.

Penguin, have a lovely time at your art classes.
    Good to hear I’m not the only one inundated by spinach.
    I too have only recently discovered it’s possible to cook brussel sprouts that taste ok – I added mine to the big tray of veg roasted with cumin, garlic, garam marsala and turmeric. They are definitely not top of my veggie list but quite palatable and a useful winter green. I also agree about the broad beans – they were single shelled in my childhood too and I hated those leathery grey skins. Double peeling turned them into something sweet and delicious. The key ingredients in my favourite risotto are double peeled broad beans, golden eshallots and pancetta. It’s worth growing broad beans just for that.

Neil, the lentil patties sound delicious. I can just imagine the way the sweet pumpkin and earthy savoury cumin would complement the flavour.

LGbran and Aurorin, sometimes the weight loss isn’t what we hope for but it’s the overall trend that matters. Yes I know that sounds like a platitude that I didn’t much care for when I was struggling to lose weight and spending too much time on a plateau. It’s true just the same, it’s just that despite telling ourselves we are happy with slow and steady results I think we all secretly hope for regular big losses. Realistically that’s not what 5:2 is designed to do, as you are only cutting calories 2 days a week. If you persevere you do eventually get the weight off – many of us can attest to that, it’s just a slower journey than we’d like.
    I also found as I got older and after I’d lost some weight I had much less leeway accommodating special dinners without consequences on the scales. It’s not so bad now that I’m maintaining, but difficult when trying to lose weight.

Quacka, the bread looks so inviting but I’m sure you’re fine with that small piece. Wholemeal sourdough is roughly 1000kj per 100g (238cals) and I doubt that small chunk was more than about 30g. It’s the slices through the centre of a round loaf that weigh lots. Like you,I rarely eat bread on a FD but when my other foods are so low in calories I will occasionally have a tiny piece about the size of yours. The bread will also be fabulous toasted tomorrow, on your NFD.

For some reason I’m unusually tired today so an early night is in order.

Brief hello to all, and interesting posts.

From me – After a great weigh-in Saturday morning, things went a bit haywire, so the next 4 days will be B2B2B2B, to turn things around now I’m finally getting over the flu/asthma. I did lose some weight over the past week, but indulged in a lush doughnut or 2 most days for more than a week (part of not being able to cook, so I bought meals, plus – unfortunately – snacks). As a consequence, blood tests Friday showed my blood cholesterol has risen to 5.9, slightly above normal, and my triglycerides (which reveal the carb indulgences) are now abnormal at 2.6. Not sure what my doctor will say when I see him this week, but I am not going on Lipitor to lower my cholesterol! And doughnuts are now on the “do not eat” list. The B2B2B2B will get me back on track. Really, I should know better, but the local shopping mall had a “pop-up” stall with really specially flavoured doughnuts with yummy cream centres, and I sank like a stone where my will power was concerned. Actually a bit disgusted with myself, as until the past few months, I was very rarely even tempted by doughnuts. I was also dreading today, as I had an appointment at the endodontist’s, to decide if root canal therapy would be needed on a tooth that’s had problems for the past 12 months. Yay! No treatment needed, which is an amazing relief, and explains my over-eating today. As LJoyce said, it’s good to recognise your triggers, and this one was a relief celebration.

However, all that is okay. Tomorrow is another day. It’s a friend’s 80th lunch, so I’ll order something that I can eat half of for my FD800 tomorrow, and eat the rest on Wednesday, and probably have no calories left for anything else all day either day, but that’s okay. I’m thinking steak and cooked vegetables will be nice, and I’ll pick the smallest piece of birthday cake I can find. I can sneak in a plastic storage box for the not-eaten half of the meal.

Glad you got some yummy honey from your bees, LindsayL; I well remember as children my brother and I just sucking out the honey from the wax of the honeycomb after our father robbed the hives. Delicious! I can understand how nice the fresh honey spread on bread tasted.

Anzac65, how frustrating that Maxx’s behaviour has taken a turn for the worse again. I think patience and consistency will be the keys to modifying his behaviour.

Thin, still hanging out for the big “reveal”!

Another acronym that I use – MIA is “missing in action”. It’s a military term, but I use it when I’ve not been on the forum for a while.

LJoyce, hope you feel better after a good night’s sleep.

Speaking of which, I need to head there now, sorry. Will respond to others next time.

Good morning, another stunner today in Sydney ā€“ 24 degrees! 8 degrees above average apparently.

FD for me today and I need it. I had a shocker of a day at work yesterday, the worst yet, and of course went ballistic and ate dreadfully. Why canā€™t I learn that it doesnā€™t help and in fact makes things worse?

Hi Betsy, it seems we are both struggling but congratulations on the weight loss . Any loss is good. We are both fasting today so Iā€™m sending supportive vibes across cyber space. I donā€™t know if I could do 4 B2B but good luck for yours

Aurorin we are fasting on the same days this week. Like I said above, any loss is good and 200g is better than nothing or worse ā€“ a gain! Good luck today. I was pleased to read that your son/daughter is having piano lessons as I learnt growing up and it is a lovely skill to have. Iā€™m actually pretty hopeless but itā€™s nice to be able to sit down and have a bash after a hard day at work. Itā€™s better than wine for de-stressing.

Penguin, thanks so much for the information and hope about Maxx. I am totally down in the dumps about him and on top of the spray from the trainer on Sunday I copped another one from the owner of the Labrador forum I am very much attached to. She is completely against anything that isnā€™t positive reinforcement and made me feel like a total failure of a dog parent :(ļŒ for trying the nose bridle. However we canā€™t all be perfect and have perfect dogs like she does. Everyone else on the forum was supportive and many said they had to do the same thing for a short while because most teenage Labradors go through this and they are a danger to humans and other dogs. Especially given Maxxā€™s size we canā€™t let him jump on someone and hurt them.

Quacka! Freshly baked bread wafting around you on a FD. I donā€™t know how you stopped at one little piece but good on you. I laughed at your ā€˜oopsā€™ photo ļŠ

Sorry you were tired yesterday LJ and I hope you had a good nightā€™s sleep. Well done for stopping the EFS slippery slide on Saturday ā€“ you didnā€™t really overeat much at all. You are 100% correct about needing consistency with Maxx and he doesnā€™t get it with hubby. He (hubby) is much better but he doesnā€™t listen and he isnā€™t consistent. He just rang with a big moan about how badly behaved Maxx was on the walk today and when I tried to give him advice he just went ā€˜blah blah blahā€™ at me so I abruptly ended the call as I have enough stress at work thank you very much. Great start to the day huh? Tell me why we got a dog again? He now thinks that because we are letting Maxx sleep on the bed he has regressed but I doubt that. I think itā€™s just an age/phase thing. Dear God I hope so.

Lgbran, I know that frustrating feeling so well when you think you are going to lose a stack and the evil scales snarl at you. I have lost and gained weight most of my adult life like a constant yo-yo but Iā€™m hoping 5:2 sees the back of that. 200g is a loss and any loss is great (I feel like Iā€™m repeating myself today LOL).

Neil congrats on the netball win [un-gnashes teeth]

Cinque, I hope you are feeling ok today. Stay warm, I saw on the news there is a cold front coming

Sorry for a mostly negative post. I promise not to post again until Iā€™m in a better frame of mind.

Have a great day/evening all

Good morning, Brr, cold and rain and dark skies out my Melbourne window this morning. Thanks for the wishes Anzac, at least we had some sun the last few days, and I am snug inside with a warm little cat on my knee.

Neil, Happy 6 month anniversary! Those pumpkin lentil patties sound wonderful!
    Awful to hear about your ME friend with such horrible headaches, it would be great if medical marijuana could replace those heavy painkillers.

Quacka those food photographers have their eye on the main prize and make sure their pics are colourful haha.
    Talking of gorgeous food pics, I could have reached right through the screen to tear of another piece of that loaf. Oh yum.

An excellent list of acronyms! And a good one you added, Betsy.
    We really need an FAQ thread with this list and LJoyce’s list of what hunger feels like, and things like that.

LJoyce and Lgbran (are you related? šŸ˜‰ ), even though I had done a lot of breathing exercises in the past, with yoga, childbirth support, and meditation for insomnia, I still checked all the latest info and tried it
    for my breathing problems. No difference at all. My lungs are fine and I have excellent lung capacity, asthma has been ruled out. That’s why I was so interested (and relieved) to read that sometimes breathing problems are down to cardio vascular issues, and it does seem to be the case.

LJoyce I could smell that beautiful mung bean soup reading your post. How brilliant to make it more quickly with the split mung.
    And how lovely you managed that long walk with your friend without your back complaining.
    I really, really hope the community garden takes off. Such a great idea.

Lgbran, here is a link I keep on hand for people who are struggling with less weight loss than the effort they are putting in: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/really-no-weight-loss/ enjoy.
    Personally I didn’t worry about losing weight quickly, I just wanted to be taking it off instead of putting it on, and I didn’t worry about scales and calories, just about making it easy and sustainable in my life so I could keep doing it,
    But you are working a lot harder with the OMAD, and if it gets so frustrating that you want to give up, maybe keep up your sleeve the option of doing simple 5:2 for a couple of weeks or so, and then go back to OMAD when you are ready. That would be better than feeling hopeless and giving up.

A couple of my recipes have shared well here šŸ™‚ I started a thread for legumes as I love them so much https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/beans-and-lentils-recipes-tips-and-information/ (Anzac, do you have to politely skip over every mention of beans? Or is it just the refried beans?)
    There is also the Southern Hemispherites Recipe thread https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/southern-hemispherites-fd-recipes/ that you might like to look up if you decide to take up cooking.

And look at you, living in Geelong and barracking for the Blues!

Hi Aurorin, happy fast day. And thankyou for your kindness, yes, mine is one of those invisible illnesses. It is much better accepted now, thank goodness, even though they are still trying to work out what is going on.

Penguin, what lovely things are happening in your home at the moment, even if you have to water the garden. Painting and cooking. Bliss.
    I have read Simon Hopkinson, I’d love to see his series.

Ooh what a long post, I need to stop. Hope it is a good day everyone. Cheers all.

It’s 11degC (feels like 8) and drizzling in SE Melbourne this morning. Makes its hard to get out of bed. Thankfully I have another hour before I need to leave for work while my partner sort out school drop off for Kiddo. Will be in the road with appointments spread across town. I am all packed with my thermos of hot black tea and a small box of unsalted nuts for my FD.

LJ, thanks for the encouragement! I think the weeks of big losses are like shot of serotonin (addictive) but you are right, not realistic in the long run. I do have to keep reminding myself, it’s a lifestyle change and it’s pacing for the long haul. Got to watch out for the guilt that triggers giving up and bad eating routines again.

I grew up in a family where food is pretty much the language of love. And also not wasting anything given to you on the plate. So used to finishing everything up (and over eating) and basically lost any real sense of listening to my body and stopping when I am done. This is something I am trying to consciously and mindfully do now.

Betsy, that’s a long series of B2B. Good luck! Carbs in the form of carbonara pasta are my vice, and if they appear in pop up stalls and readily available, I am so so dead. My partner though, will probably buy one of everything from the doughnut shop, eat them, without much repercussion. If I haven’t married that man, I would be hating how easy for him to keep the pounds off. All best with your FD today!

Anzac,wonderful weather in Sydney today. So envious! Yes 200g loss is still a loss, I am taking all the loss as continual progress! I play the piano from young too, and your are right about the destressing! My neighbours are thankful that I didn’t get drumming lessons. Hahaha. Kiddo been playing for last 4 years and seems to enjoy it though still needs some reminder to practise. Sounds like training Maxx has been quite a journey. Our dog is 17 years old now (chihuahua and terrier Cross) and these days all he wants to do is sleep in a sunny spot in the garden. Anyway, I hope that your day goes well today. All the best with your FD too!

Have a great day today, everyone! Keep warm and dry if you’re in melb (top of 13degC only)!!

Anzac – Ha, you can’t be too grumpy about the netball, you guys have owned the world cup for the last decade and a half and have beaten us in almost every game for the last few years. We managed to get one back šŸ˜‰

Since it’s my 6 month anniversary today I’m shouting everyone a virtual slice of cake and glass of bubbles. Here’s to the next 6 months and hopefully my goal weight.

Have a great day everyone, and a nice easy fast day for those fasting. I’ll check in with you all tomorrow for my weigh-in day.

Good morning everyone

I’m going to work backwards on the posts so I hope I make it to everyone šŸ™‚

Anzac, we are here for you for whatever feelings you are having. You are under a lot of stress at the moment and I really hope you manage to get some of it sorted soon. It’s strange the trainer at Maxx’s training school said you have to do something about his behaviour. Ummmm, isn’t that the exact reason why you are there?? And your labrador forum owner? Like come on, a bit of support wouldn’t go astray. Sometimes dogs need more than just positive reinforcement. Just like diets in humans, the same training methods don’t work for every dog!

Betsy, I think we all have these EFS times and we all get back on track at some stage. This WOL is awesome for that. We know it works and we just have to do it. I hope your B2B2B2B (had to check how many B2’s you had!) goes well for you and restarts you on the downward trend.

LJ, I hope you are well rested today. Thanks for the info on the sourdough. I was a little scared to look it up but I know that I definitely didn’t eat 100 grams of it so I was well within my 500 calories yesterday. I was a bit cranky at the whole situation (such a temptation on a FD) but this morning I dealt with it and I am very proud of myself. I sliced the loaf up and have frozen every single bit of it. I didn’t even eat a crumb. I was getting a bit down about the weight creeping up instead of down and had made it my mini goal to see the 65’s again this week, even if it is 65.9kg. I decided that no I wasn’t going to let food rule me so in the freezer it went. I feel quite empowered about it lol. I have plenty of delicious miso soup leftover from last night so I have decided I am going to have a B2B today. I am in the right frame of mind,so why not.

Penguin, I love your idea of how to cook the Brussel sprouts. It’s similar to the warm salad my friend made for us and I think I could use it as a base to expand on. I was thinking some boiled egg, maybe some cheese and have it more like a meal. Oooooh, I can’t believe I am craving Brussel sprouts. Where is the real Quacka????

aurorin, it is sometimes difficult to accept that our bodies are not keeping up with what we are doing – as in we are not losing weight according to the amount of effort that we are putting in. Our bodies are strange like that. Look on the positive side and just keep going and I’m sure next week you will have a greater weight loss. Sorry for making you crave butter and toast. It is definitely one of my weaknesses, hence the freezing of the sourdough.

Neil, your pumpkin patties sound delicious and I am going to try to make some soon. I often make veggie patties with all sorts of mixed veggies but I never know what to flavour them with. I usually go to the Italian herbs and cheese of course. I love cumin and also fresh coriander so I’m sure it would be a favourite of mine too. Isn’t it nice when something you just try turns out to be so delicious and everyone loves them? Looking forward to your six monthly weigh day. I know you will be pleased.

Lgbran, sorry for that awful smell! I had it sitting behind me all afternoon and that is when the nibbling started!
    Like I said to aurorin, just keep going. Your weight loss WILL catch up with your efforts. It’s just a matter of staying positive, something I struggle with sometimes. This forum is a lifesaver for me and I love reading everyone’s posts. We are all in this together.

Cinque, I’m sorry that your health is deteriorating. You are always so positive and supportive of everyone on here so I hope we can be the same for you. I’m glad you found this WOL and I’m really glad you are here in this forum šŸ™‚

Wow, Lindsay, your bees sound a bit scary but also very productive! I hope to have some bees in a few years when we have a bit more land so they can pollinate our garden which we plan to have. It’s going to be huge (and a lot of work!!)
    Fresh honey on bread? Yep, I doubt I could control myself with that one.

Crazy, I hope you are feeling better. Soups are great for when you are not feeling well as they are easy to digest and also help with keeping the fluids up. Get well soon!

thin, how’s the house clearing going? Hope you are keeping well amidst all the chaos.

Cali, that grocery store sounds awesome. I have trouble when I find a place like that because I just want to buy everything. I’m the same with really good farmer’s markets. We don’t have any really good ones nearby. There are a few around but the produce is not really grown locally. That’s the problem with having been in the fruit and veg game for so long, I can recognize it so easily.

PG, you are so strong doing your shopping and your cooking on a FD! Well done šŸ™‚

Hi to everyone I haven’t mentioned – Gday, Merry, Arel and anyone I have missed.

Good luck with your FD’s everyone and remember you can post here anytime. That’s what we are here for!!

xx

Good morning SHā€™s,

Lgbran, Iā€™m afraid that the reason you are seeing little change on the scales is that your body is doing what it is genetically programmed to do. In time of little, or no, food your body will go into starvation mode and hang onto fats as an energy source because it doesnā€™t know if, or when, it get more food. OMAD is not a natural way for us to eat. You say that you will remain on 22/2 OMAD for the foreseeable future. In time, your body will adapt and recognise that more food will definitely arrive, but that may not happen before you become so disheartened that you give up. At which time, your body may also store extra fat in case another period of starvation is just around the corner. Perhaps, rather than plan on 22/2 for the forseeable future, decide on a time when you will switch to a more sustainable WOL, maybe two or three weeks so that you can give yourself something to look forward to. Then adopt a different strategy, maybe ADF with 16:8. Mixing it up every now and then may keep it fresh, and stop your body getting into a pattern. Finally, IMHO the best weight loss strategy you can adopt now/today is to learn to cook. You know how to look up Google to find out how to boil and egg, good you know where to find help! Itā€™s amazing what you can do with frozen vegetables, canned beans and some fish or lean chicken. When you create your own food, you know what goes into it and you appreciate it more. Cinque has provided links to some of the recipe threads. Learn to make four or five simple, healthy meals and rotate them ā€“ many of us do. I am sure many of the forum members will tell you that they always eat the same things on fast days to keep them controlled and simple. I do.

What follows here is purely my own opinions and strategies, developed over thirty years of practice and reading. Feel free to like or dislike, agree or disagree. In the late 1980s I lost just on 20 kilos and have kept it off for thirty years, to stay in the healthy weight/BMI range. Those were the days of stupid diets ā€“ cabbage water, lemon juice etc. I enjoy food so a restrictive diet was never going to be an option, especially with a family of four physically active males to feed. I wanted something that I could keep doing, and do it anywhere. I halved the meat and whites ā€“ pasta, potatoes, rice ā€“ that I put on my plate and doubled the vegetables; I halved my lunchtime sandwiches, but not my breakfast porridge; and stopped adding sugar to my hot drinks. Fortunately in the 1980s the food manufacturers had not started trying to convince us that we needed snacks between meals, and our slender budget wouldnā€™t have covered them anyway so snacking wasnā€™t a problem. In six months I had lost the 20 kilos. However, I never went back to what had been my ā€˜normalā€™ eating; after all that was what had caused the weight gain. The WOL of eating that led to the weight loss was the new WOL. Although I knew nothing about TDEE in those days, as my weight stabilised, the losses stopped and maintenance ā€˜happenedā€™.

What has prompted this tirade is the so-called reviews of various diets where the reviewers make statements along the lines of ā€œthey were able to keep the weight off for some time, then they began eating NORMALLY (my emphasis) and they put the weight on again, so the diet is not sustainableā€. What defines normal?

ANZAC, I feel for you wrt work – been there, done that. You just have to do what needs to be done to survive. It will pass (and Maxx will grow up).

Have a good day

PG

Perth Girl,
    Thanks for your insight , you make so much sense. One of the first diets I tried was the Raw Energy diet where the bulk of your food was raw energy and fruit with the occasional peice of fish or meat. I was growing my own sprouts. I lost weight( I didn’t need to loose weigh). I was in my early 20s, training for marathons and bomb proof. A lots changed but that’s life. I’m no longer a spring chicken but it’s all good.
    Next time I will use my big computer to put some detail n my posts.Bit hard with my fat fingers on the iPad.

Tomorow I’m off to buy an airfryer. Now I usually try and buy the best I can get and tell my children repeatably you get what you pay for… Kmart have one for $69. The reviews have been pretty good and if it is not going to break the bank. In the middle of a 28 hour fast. iPad s down to 10%. See you on the other side. Winter has arrived, it’s bucketing down,
    Cheers

Cinque. Serendipity strikes. My day fell apart first thing when I turned up early for my course and found that I was a week early. Self inflicted wound. Consequently I had a potter about day and whilst in an idle moment scanning the free to view minor TV channels I found an old Simon Hopkinson programme. Three recipes I have seen before, cooked before and, now that I am reminded, will cook again. But not on a FD.

Not only does the man have an armchair in his kitchen, there is an old style vinyl record player!

YAY!

As an anniversary present my body decided to shed 1.4 kilograms last week to leave me on 97.6 kilos. That means Iā€™ve lost a total of 34 kilos in the 6 months Iā€™ve been trying to drop weight. Iā€™ve lost 25.8% of my body weight and Iā€™m now just 2.6 kilograms away from my wedding weight of 95 kilograms.

I have a question for those on here that have dropped their weight and are sitting around their goal weight. Iā€™m happy with my legs, my arms and my chest, but I seem to have developed SBS (Saggy Belly Syndrome). Iā€™ve got a bit of lose skin and a little pooch of fat around my belly. Any tips on how to tighten that up?

Depends how old you are. For the young, natural elasticity solves the problem I am old and have yet to find a way of coping with mine.

I’m middle aged but young at heart šŸ˜‰

I just hit 40 at the end of last year. Hopefully young enough for it to bounce back.

Viewing 50 posts - 21,601 through 21,650 (of 28,005 total)

You must be logged in to reply.