Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,917 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 7 hours, 32 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 19,551 through 19,600 (of 28,021 total)

• Lindsay, your son is a hero for intervening on that bus! Aren’t you glad you didn’t know about it until it was over? I had to smile when I read about you looking out the window and seeing a kangaroo On the verge across from your house. And here all of you keep telling me there aren’t kangaroos hopping down the streets! 😁

Hi Turnabout. I joined up here in May of 2017, so I wasn’t around when you were here before. But I’m glad to see you back. I’m in maintenance now and have been for a little over a year. Still doing the old 500 calorie 5:2 but eating more on NFD’s now. I hope you get back to your goal weight soon. I believe this is the best way to do it. It’s the longest by far that I’ve ever maintained weight loss. And this is such a wonderful group that we have here.

Cinque, how nice that little Miss 2 could stay with you while her big sis was in kinder. My DS was just telling me how lonely she felt when I went off to kinder without her. We’re 3-1/2 years apart in age. Back then, all we did was sing songs, hear stories and color pictures in kinder. Today they teach them the alphabet and to read and write.

Thin, I agree with Lindsay that a nice job at the zoo for DD would be preferable to an adventure in a dangerous African country, at least if I were a parent. I’m sure that comment would get an eye roll from DD. 🙄

10am, Sat, Adelaide

Good morning everyone, hope you all have some lovely weekend plans.
    Sorry I was AWOL yesterday – busy day with appointments.

Cali, I can’t send you any heat at the moment as we are having a rare cold spell at present. Starting yesterday the forecast is for a whole week of temperatures in the low-mid 20s – that’s very rare for Feb here. At the moment it cold and raining and I’m thinking I might need to put on a jacket!
    I hope you are feeling better, and warmer now.

Lindsay, that was a very brave thing your son did. I glad he managed to stop the assault and that he wasn’t injured in the process.

Cinque, sounds like you aren’t too tired after babysitting duties if you are racing off to a meeting. Is teaching English as a second language something you’ve done before is it this a new thing?

Thin, thanks for the heads up on the milk – I found it on sale at Coles by accident yesterday too. I didn’t look at konjac noodles as I’ve been using them less through the summer months. The smaller packets of Chang noodles I sometimes use the whole packet, but the brands that contain more noodles, like Slendier, I treat as 2 serves as long as I have included plenty of veg for volume.

Turnabout, welcome back. I can only imagine how difficult it was to manage your weight when spending your days cooking. It sounds like you are well on track for getting to your initial 80kg goal.

Anzac, I have everything crossed for your job prospects, I’m hoping you are spoiled for choice.
    You are right about your hubby’s comments sounding like delaying tactics. He probably derives some joy from Maxx’s uncontrolled antics. I’m sure training won’t crush his spirit, and it should keep him safer near the roads. Dogs love attention and the training process gives them lots of that.

Neil, having your trousers fall down is a wonderful sign that the diet’s working. You might want to add some extra holes in that belt so you are ready for the next few adjustments too.
    I remember deciding it was time to go shopping when my winter pyjama pants ended up down around my ankles when I was trying to walk down the hallway – up until then my generous hips had kept them vaguely in place.

Intesha, do you know whether water kefir is made with different grains to the milk version?

Arel, I hope you are enjoying that family weekend in the country.

Rosy, I hope you are enjoying your weekend at Crown Towers. I’m sure you’ll look fabulous in evening clothes.

My best friend is meant to be coming over this afternoon for a cuppa and a walk, although the rain will need to stop for that.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Morning all, there were no posts showing when I went for my walk, now everyone’s arriving. LJ, how lovely those cool temperatures sound. I think this is day 3 or 4 of hot weather for us and I’m feeling drained. We do have air-con thankfully and last night was the first night this summer that we kept it on all night.

LJoyce I don’t know the difference. I get mine from a company called NourishmeOrganics. They post them out.

Had my first real lapse today. I was baking half of the day for a breakfast tomorrow morning and not only was I tasting half the time, but I had half a friand as well. At least there was no starchy stuff in the friand, but it was loaded with sugar. I was back on track with a nice salad and big fillet of brill for dinner, but I’m probably 200-300 calories over the 800 I’m supposed to have. 😬🤐

LJoyce, yes the water and milk kefir grains are different but apparently milk grains can be converted to water. I never tried it, but here are instructions:
    https://www.thecheesemaker.com/content/water_kefir_instructions.pdf

And here are some of the advantages of milk kefir over water kefir:
    https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/water-kefir-versus-milk-kefir/

Afternoon everyone, I’m relaxing in the beautiful air con I hike hub has an afternoon snooze ! It is so nice not having access to any jobs that need doing after the frenetic pace of the last 2 weeks at work . We had cocktails and canapés last night and a cooked breaky this morning. Cant fit in much though . Re Dr M I read in one of his books that you don’t have to worry about the effect of fasting on your metabolism , that has been proved to be incorrect. My mum always used to tell me not to eat too little as my body would think a famine was on and slow my metabolism down . This hasn’t happened in the 5 months and 17kg loss that I have had on this wol . I prefer to forget about food , not count calories and eat the minimum on Fast days and agree with Cali re hunger. I have changed my attitude towards hunger and actually embrace it as Ivtell myself this means weight loss. However we are all different and the beauty of this wol is it’s flexibility and the fact that you can tweak it to suit yourself .

Rosy, I don’t know if you could slow your metabolism down by eating a low calorie diet everyday for a long time or not. I’ve read for years that you can, but I’ve never seen any good studies with lots of people. And when I used to go on low calorie diets it was usually for only 3 or 4 months to lose what I needed, so I don’t know if it did. I usually went back to eating because the diet was over and gained it all back anyway. There are several people here that went on low calorie diets for a lot longer time so they can better comment on this. They might be a little more careful on NFD’s than I am, but from their posts here it looks like they eat pretty normally now on NFD’s and have kept the weight off and even lost more weight.

But I’m pretty certain you can’t slow it down by eating 500/600 calories per day for 2 days of the week based on my own experience. I eat a lot on NFD’s and usually manage to lose it on FD’s.

Hi everyone,
    Quick pop in – tried to read all the posts – whew!!! LindsayL, enjoy Bali when you get there. Re travel, I did a lot when I was younger, and now I’ve become more a “stay at home” – if you don’t count Thailand in 2012, China in 2014 and US in 2017!!! 🙂

Interesting comments about warm milk – how many are old enough to remember primary school days when it was standard for students to be provided a half-pint of milk every morning? The milk came in bottles and was always cool to cold. There were usually a few bottles over, so some of the boys would race through their bottles to try to get another half-pint. Competitive me (the only female to do it!) would be right up there with them and often scored a second bottle to drink. We’re talking mid- to late-50s here.

Neilithicman, you’re doing great with your weight loss, especially if it’s showing up with your belt. I’ve been working on this weight loss WOL only since late November, and have lost about 6kg to date, so averaging around 0.6 kg /week loss. That’s okay.

Had a major sort out of clothes today and have 4 shopping bags to give away. Some are too big, which is great. Others I’d bought years ago in anticipation of becoming lighter, and now I am, they either don’t really fit properly, or don’t suit me. Sigh! Someone will be getting some nice new clothes!! Anyone else had that problem?

thinatlast, I read your suggestion about TDEE, aiming to eat to your anticipated TDEE when the weight is lost. According to the books I’ve looked at, due to my height and ideal weight, plus age, that will be only around 1500-1600 cals, so it’s a good idea for me to try to get used to it.

Someone did ask about whether it was better to be strict all the time, or not – in Dr M’s new book, he mentions research which suggests that in the long-term, intermittent fasting has greater benefits.

Re the FD800 – has anyone looked at the “The CSIRO Low-Carb Diet”? In that, they actually recommend the Mediterranean-style diet with higher levels of unsaturated fats and lower carbs and no fruit for the first 6 weeks because of the effect of fructose on the liver. Then they suggest allowing the addition of the occasional add-on such as a slice of bread or fruit from week 7. So that may answer neilithicman’s query about no bread – not at first, but a little later, trying to choose lower GI. The other thing about it is that there may be some extra recipe ideas; there’s even an associated book of recipes. None of that is much use to me as my cooking is very plain and simple, but there may be some ideas for others to adapt.

Okay, so much for the short “drop-in” 🙂 Will try to check in once a week, to keep on track. Just a comment about Facebook – prefer this forum; yes, I have a Facebook page – I look at it about once every 2-3 months, so almost pointless, except that my nieces post photos there occasionally which I can copy and keep. Also, I tried to delete my work Facebook page, went to where it told you to delete, but there were no instructions on how to actually do it, so that page is sitting idle, and undeleted.

Rosy, that’s a good place to be in this heat. We took a picnic to the river last night and it was getting more tolerable as the sun set. I could see Burswood (Crowne) and was thinking of you! There was a lady feeding and and trying to net a duck. At first we thought she was poaching but, as they both approached, we could see that the duck was injured. DD and the lady tried for a couple of hours to entice and capture it, chatting about Native Arc where DD volunteered and various local vets who are equipped to assist with wildlife. Several passersby tried to help but the duck was too wary of the net so it was left to fend for itself.

Betsy, good morning, nice to hear from you. All the best re-adjusting for your ultimate TDEE. Yes, I had the clothes issue. I couldn’t really believe it when I got down to size 14 and bought too many new clothes to celebrate. I barely got to wear them before progressing to size 12. Eventually, I sold them on gumtree or ebay, others I gave away but, for years, I held on to a size or two higher than needed because I couldn’t accept that I would never regain the weight as I always had before. Now, for the first time in decades, I only have size 10 clothes. And I’m finally confident that I’m a slim person, not a fat person who lost a lot of weight.

When you consider that 80% of the entire world is on FB, that is a huge amount of power for one unelected person to hold. That alone is reason enough for me not to use it. Not that I ever got my news or information from such a platform but millions do.

FD for me. Looking forward to it. I have a high-priced cauliflower that I will enjoy immensely. Later, leftover Spanish Fideos with an egg baked on top and a generous squeeze of lime juice. Yum.

Good morning, another beautiful cool Melbourne morning. I’m so relieved, I can’t compute that it is hot in Perth, sorry.

Cali, poor little Crickets left behind when you went to kinder.
    I babysat my darlings again last night so it was a big day, and I am cactus today. I haven’t even gone out for milk. I expect my coffee cravings will send me out eventually.

I was roped into the Thai community project by a Thai friend. The Thai community here is concerned by the number of Thai women married to Australian men and suffering domestic violence. They are often uneducated women from the countryside who are easily stopped from finding out what their rights are, and are kept isolated. So the idea is to provide activities for kids, and English classes for the mums while they are waiting. This will give them a chance to meet people and learn skills that will help them.
    I was very cautious, but what a gorgeous group they are, and if I can help I would like to. I will concentrate on learning Thai too, which will be the best way I can practice a different language. So I am planning to get involved.

LJoyce, I hope the rain did stop so you could walk with your friend.

Neil, sympathy for that baking fast fail. Most understandable. I hope today is a very good fast day to make up for it.

Rosy Posy, just the weekend you needed!

Betsy, so good to get read you catch-up. Woot for the clothes clearance. Such a great feeling!
    I was never really interested in the CSIRO diet (being traditionally anti diet) but I know they based it on good science and have some great recipes and resources. I used their article that explained why you can put on a kilo after a night out – but I can’t find it anymore. 🙁

A good interview about The Mediterranean Diet. https://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/greek/en/audiotrack/shrinking-waistlines-and-possible-asthma-treatment-rise-mediterranean-diet (I liked the interview better than the article)

Enjoy your cauliflower, Thin!

Morning all.
    Cinque, you are a good woman. Getting involved in this project could help so many vulnerable woman. Hope you are taking it easy today. And how nice to have a cool day. It is cooking up here in southern Queensland. Even our island is hot. So I am sitting on the verandah, with the overhead fan on, and not even contemplating the beach til later in the afternoon, when we’ll have a beach walk and sit in the sea. OH can’t swim in the ocean now, because any infection would be ‘catastrophic’ according to his opthalmologist, but with the shifting sands, a pool has formed along the length of the beach at low tide, so we go and sit in that and chat away. I miss the surf, but my DD will always go in with me when we are over here together.
    Neil, don’t be too hard on yourself. 1000 calories is still great for weight loss, so I’m betting it won’t slow you down too much. Think how many more calories you would have had, had you not been following this WOL.
    I’ve bought a second set of scales for the island, , so I can stay on track, and so far seem to be losing a steady 100 grams a day. Slow and steady. Not the 5 kilos in a fortnight Dr M predicted, but I’ll get there eventually. Actually I think naked 5:2 may suit me better…I like the discipline of those strict fasting days, and feel the 800 somehow gives me too much wriggle room.
    Betsy I’ve had the clothes issue too. I suspect we all do. I too have many many things still with tags, bought in the hope that they would fit one day. And I find I still head for the 18 rack in the shops, when I’m more a 14 or even a 12 now. I am being ruthless in getting rid of my big clothes and take them to the church shop over here. There are a lot of larger women in this community who can get good use out of my things. It’s a great op shop – a great social morning, chatting to people who come to donate or buy, and there is a thriving book/toy exchange for the children. (and the bonus is the shop profits go back to the air/sea rescue here).
    Thin, make the most of your high priced cauliflower. The weather is pushing prices out of the stratosphere. How about $7.40 for a head of celery? Even for island prices, that’s ridiculous. (And I love your comment that you are a slim person, not a fat person who has lost a lot of weight. Brilliant).

Lindsay, are there no high-tech goggles that your OH could wear in the ocean? I’m thinking of divers – wouldn’t they require goggles with a perfect seal? I, too, would tend to take the larger sizes into the store dressing room ‘just in case’ for a long time after losing the weight. And, even now, if there’s a choice between S and M, I will opt for M when I’m not. I love your local recycling set-up. What a mad price for celery.

Cinque, that sounds a wonderful project for you. You’re brave taking on Thai! I’m heading to Thailand next week for some dental tourism.

Hi Thin. We thought about goggles, but it is too high risk, given he only has one sighted one eye. A bit like poking a bear. Actually it’s diving in the pool that he really misses. OH is Scottish, and as my DD once observed, isn’t really designed for the surf.

The church shop here is a Godsend for many people. There’s high unemployment since the sand mining closed down …a good thing, but with consequences. The island is Quandamooka land and there are jobs being created for Indigenous people in tourism….for example in management of the tourist parks. Good decision by the local Council. The best run of the half dozen on the island has been managed by the local Indigenous people for years. There isn’t much shopping on the island, apart from the high end boutiques over at the point (think multimillion houses on the hills overlooking the ocean, and $150 floaty caftans that sell for $5 in Bali).
    So being able to go to an op shop and get high quality clothes, and also good books and toys for the kids, at low cost, is a winner. It also gives different groups an opportunity to interact. Win win win.
    Have you experienced Thai dental work before?

Lindsay, nice to hear of projects like that working for everyone. I can see why your OH wouldn’t want to take any unnecessary risk. Yes, I’ve been to this particular dental clinic in Bangkok several times before. Once for an implant, a few minor things and this time for a crown.

1:25pm Sunday, Adelaide

Still enjoying the mild weather here. It’s overcast again today so I get the luxury of an afternoon walk – a rare option for summer time.
    Oh dear, the new puppy next door has learned to bark, thankfully she doesn’t do it much and mostly it’s only when they play with her. Because they only let her into the back yard when they are with her the barking is mostly quite muffled as she’s indoors.

Lindsay, the island does sound like two different worlds in one place – I know which end I’d feel more comfortable (I’m not good in pretentious environments). Even though it’s a tad too hot at present, I suspect the evening sitting in the water watching the sun set will be very nice.

Cinque, that sounds like a really worthwhile thing to be doing. I hope you find enough energy soon to go get that milk.

Thin, I hadn’t realised you had an overseas trip coming up so soon. Are you holidaying as well, or is it just the dental work this time?
    I gave up looking for lower priced cauliflower last week and bought a $2 bag of frozen cauli instead – it worked really well in the cumin roasted veg tray.

Neil, a few years ago I did many months on 800 cals and there was a rare day every now and then where I went over (usually 1000-1200). I actually found that the variation usually spurred my weight loss along if it had been slow. So don’t despair – just think about the level of control you did actually show and how much of that baking you might once have consumed.

Betsy, I love the big clothes clearance. It’s quite freeing to get rid of the large sizes, although I took me a while to get rid of everything. Like Thin I held on to a few just in case. Now that I’ve been maintaining for nearly 4 years I have ditched them. I still routinely refresh my wardrobe, mostly with new op-shop finds. It’s a long time since I’ve bought anything that didn’t fit with the hope of fitting into it, although I’m constantly surprised by how many things I buy from op-shops that still have their tags or look unworn.
    When you are in maintenance the 5:2 regime can help a bit with your TDEE. It gives you a bit of leeway to deal with those days where you don’t stick to your TDEE.

Hi to Cali, Rosy, Intesha, Merry, Minka, Arel, Penguin, Quacka, Anzac, Turnabout and anyone else I’ve forgotten.

My best friend has been steadily gaining weight in recent years and has finally decided to do something about it. She’s not comfortable with 5:2 but is aiming for an 800cal deficit on her TDEE every day – as her TDEE is over 2000cals that’s very achievable for her. She’s also getting more exercise which is good. I hoping we can eventually get back in to bushwalking again, once she’s a bit fitter. For now we’ll just do a suburban walk every weekend. It does mean I don’t need to bake when she visits, she’s happy with just a cuppa now.

I think I’m doing a FD today. I hadn’t intended to as I fasted Friday and this would normally be too soon but I’m not really hungry and so far have just had a plum. I’m still in two minds as it would also be quite easy to make this a really good CD and then fast tomorrow as I’d planned. For once I’m going to leave the decision until later.

Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend.

LJ, there’s a new angle for Dr M.’s next book – “The 800cal Deficit”! I hope your friend enjoys success with that.

It’s more dentistry than tourism this time, OH is coming with me and we’ll only be away for just over a week. We’ll be in Bangkok the whole time, not really a holiday spot but we know our way around quite well and will stay at a hotel we love overlooking the river. OH is excited about having buffet breakfasts EVERY day and, of course, I am not (picture Lindsay and the slim woman at the buffet in Bali). Naturally, I have my travel fast plan thought through which is 6:1 and only involves a FD on both the travel days. When we’re not riding the skytrain to the dental clinic, we’ll get massages, and go exploring (in the smog, apparently).

I’ve finally decided today will be a CD. Not because I’ve suddenly found an appetite, but because I need more of my NFDs to be CDs. So taking advantage of that today is a really good idea. Tomorrow I’ll fast as planned.

I’m about to start making ratatouille with lots of home grown produce, including my finger eggplants – the first ones I’ve picked. This photo shows just how varied the heirloom varieties are – so many different colours for eggplant. Lots of variety in the zucchini/squash shapes and colours too.
    https://imgur.com/qeXi93h
    I felt quite smug at the supermarket this week as they wanted $7 a kilo for zucchini!

Hi guys, back from my decadent 2 nights ar Crown and am feeling a bit porky after all the eating and drinking. No probs it will be gone after 3 days of fasting. The Queenntributebband were great and made me realise just how many awesome songs they had .

Re The CSIRO diet, it is based on good science. There is a girl who I work with who had failed on the csiro diet as it is too inflexible so you can’t have a social life.

Sunday 6.30pm. Monday to Friday this week will be FDs for me. Nothing but fluids during the day and then 500 cal evening meal at 5pm. Plus morning walk with the pooch, HI workout on treadmill and weights each day.

LJ, your veggies look so fresh and beautiful. I love the small eggplants. Perfect for a ratatouille. I think your garden is well worth all the work you did to get it going.

Cinque, how wonderful of you to volunteer for language training with the Thai women. Won’t it be nice if you can learn a little Thai in the process?

Thin, when are you going to Thailand? At least Thai food involves a lot of vegetables and healthy things.

Rosy, you saw a Queen tribute band and we watched Bohemian Rhapsody streamed to our TV tonight. Amazon had the streaming version for sale for $19.99, expensive because the DVD version isn’t released yet, but cheaper than for 3 of us to go out to the movies. (And OH doesn’t like sitting in a movie theater.) What an amazing movie! Although it was over 2 hours long it didn’t seem that long at all. Rami Malek won a Golden Globe award for best actor in that movie and I see he is nominated for a BAFTA award Sunday. I hope he gets it. He was very believable as Freddy Mercury.

Lindsay, good on you for donating your too big clothes. I still have mine packed away in the attic, but I’ll get there. I seem to do most of my smaller size shopping in the op shop nearby too, after Cinque pointed me in that direction. So many of the things I buy look as though they’ve never been worn and many of the jeans are brands that I would never spend the money on new. But most are under $5 at the op shop.

We had some rain and hail tonight and temp is around 4C. Better than freezing I guess. Hope all of you are having a great weekend.

Hi All,

Hello to newbies who have joined since I last posted, which was awhile now. My work hours mean I sometimes go weeks without saying much here, though I have been a SH member for almost 3 years.

I’m partly writing to report that because of Thin’s Silly Season Challenge last year I picked a goal that has helped me practice 6:1 for the past month and remain at the lower half of goal weight wiggle room. Woo hoo! This is something I so desired and could not pull off after reaching goal weight 2+ years ago, well not until I again began eating to TDEE on NFDs like I did during weight loss mode.

Thin, I mentioned your travel scales to a friend and she is interested in obtaining a set and I am too. Can you recommend a brand or model or where best to buy? If it isn’t considered okay to post a recommendation here, you can do so to me privately. I regard you as the expert in that area!

GDSA that is a very ambitious protocol to which you have committed. All the best with the muscle strengthening while B2B fasts for 5 days in a row!

LJ I haven’t read all the posts since yours caught my eye; the question about the water keifr grains. Maybe someone or others have already chimed in. Just in case they haven’t, I have cultivated both milk and water kefir in the past and I am certain they are very different bacterial strains which are nourished by different types of sugar. Water kefir comprises mainly lactobacillus hilgardii and milk kefir is a mix of a variety of bacteria and yeast with a casein core. In other words, as far as I know they are not so easily substituted one for another. I’ve grown them concurrently and they even look very different. Water kefir ‘grains’ look more like gems or crystals and at times they can be referred to as water kefir ‘crystals’. I have read stories of those who experiment attempting to wean milk kefir grains off of lactose to try to get them to consume whatever sugar is in coconut or other non-dairy milk, with varying degrees of success and usually the bacteria needs to be refreshed after awhile with newly weaned milk kefir grains! I have seen coconut milk kefir sold in the health food shop, so there must be a dedicated coconut milk kefir strain. I’m not sure I have read of great success of anyone weaning milk kefir grains off of lactose and them conditioning them to consume sucrose, which is what water kefir likes to consume.

Cinque, your Thai community project contribution touches my heart! What an amazing difference you will be making and it all sounds like such fun. The group is one that would attract me, were I living in your vicinity!

Thin, one more thing… I loved your response to Dr M on his post announcing his new book tour! You said everything I would have wanted to say, had I thought of it!

Cheers to everyone else!

Minka, hi, welcome back. How exciting that you’ve managed to sustain 6:1. I’m quite sure I can’t take any credit for that but I’m pleased the idea was born from considering your goals while on the SSC thread. Which is your fast day? As there’s only one, we must know and celebrate it!

Water kefir: I posted a link to this web site for Rosy Posy recently as I was offering her some milk kefir grains. According to them, genuine water kefir can only be made by real kefir grains, not from any kind of packet or powder. The unique live and self-propagating grains make this a beverage you cannot find in the stores, they say. They are knowledgable about kombucha and sourdough and it’s my ‘go to’ website for all questions about milk kefir. Here’s the link to their info on water kefir: https://www.yemoos.com/collections/cultures-water-kefir-grains.

Travel scales: https://foxandmonocle.com/shop/verrette-personal-light-bathroom-scales-grey. Don’t leave home without them! I hope you can get a nicer colour – mine are aqua.

Rosy, pleased you had fun at Crown. Why did I think it had an E? We spent this afternoon at the Fremantle Arts Centre listening to bands. Do you ever while away a Sunday afternoon down there? We’ve been going there for decades.

CalifD, glad you saw BR and enjoyed it. I think you may have missed my Netflix recommendation for you a few posts back? “The Killing”. 42 episodes. We’re going to Thailand next week (i.e. not this week but the one after). Yes, the food is healthy if you make it so. Not the breakfast buffet, unfortunately, but I know I can’t do too much damage on such a short trip with a 24 hour fast at the beginning and at the end. We do like street food too though. There’s a fabulous market (locals, not tourists) right near our hotel and we had amazing dinners there last time. Big bowls of flavoursome brothy soups with loads of greens. We just point to what the locals are eating and ask for the same. We will walk a lot too. All will be well. I will not gain weight. With the aid of my trusty travel scales.

GDSA, punishing regime. Good luck.

LJ, I love that yellow summer squash in your photos and haven’t bought it for ages.

Yeah, FD almost over and foul weather over for a whole week. That was getting draining.

Minka and Thin, thank you for the info on water kefir. I’ve only had the milk version so far – which I like but if water kefir contained fewer calories then I was thinking I might be able to have a bit more and also include it on FDs. (I suppose it depends just how much sugar needs to be in the water to feed the kefir grains and how much remains after it’s strained.

GDSA, I really hope your ambitious plan for the week gives your weight loss a boost. The ranks of those doing many consecutive FDs is definitely growing.

Glad you had a lovely weekend Rosy.

Minka, I’m very impressed that you’ve maintained a low weight on 6:1. I usually have a battle on my hands achieving that on 5:2!

It’s been a very light and healthy CD. I’ve eaten mostly veg, including chick peas that I added to the ratatouille for dinner. With tomorrow’s FD I will be off to an excellent start this week. I had a really good run with CDs for the last 3 weeks of January but have struggled to repeat that over the last week and half. I feel I need to be back in control rather than letting my food wants dictate behaviour on too many days.

The ratatouille was lovely. I made Jane Grigson’s recipe (with some fresh herbs added) which involved a very slow simmer for ages to remove the liquid from the tomatoes. It resulted in a lovely flavour and texture and surprisingly still plenty of firm texture remaining in the zucchini and capsicum. It’s been ages since I’ve had eggplant and I’d forgotten just how soft and creamy the texture of slow cooked eggplant is. I must remember to turn some of my eggplant into babaganoush.

@Thin next week must be crowned teeth week ! I’m having a molar done on Thursday.
    Re my last few posts, I did them quickly on my phone and apologise for the typos.
    Thin I was probably looking at the river just when you were looking at Crown Towers, the views are amazing!
    Re the concert, they really sounded like Queen which made me appreciate what great songs they had all over again.
    Re Thin’s duck story, we live near Lake Joondalup and we’re visiting one of the lakeside parks and were horrified to see some non English speaking children throwing jumpers over the ducks and birds to stop them, then picking them up by their wings much to the delight of their non English speaking parents. I couldn’t stand it any longer and approached them signing and saying STOP! The parents thought I was a crazy woman and quickly hurled their children away !
    No never go to Freo on a Sunday . Sometimes go there on Saturday nights to restaurants but the parking is a nightmare down there.
    @ Cali, yep loved the movie !

Man, it was so hot here yesterday. Topped out in the early to mid 30s (OK, that may not sound too hot to you in warmer climes, but it’s bloody hot for Dunedin) My wife was working until 4pm so my boys and I packed a dinner and we took off to the river and we had swimming and alfresco dining until about 8pm when the sun started to go down and it finally started to cool off. We have a really fluffy cat and the poor dear was basically melting into a puddle on the ground.

7.10am in Sydney. Good morning all.

Well after very controlled days of less than 1500 cals and two FD’s I have lost 4.4kgs. Only another 1.6 to get back to my pre-cruise weight. I am down 1.3 on this time last year.

I will continue this regime for the next 3 weeks and hopefully get back to my lowest weight of 2016. I so back-up everyone who says raw 5:2 works. I admire those that do liquid only fasts and B2B but for me this works and I can go on holidays knowing it’s not the end of the world to come back a few kg heavier.

Have a good everyone.

Sunny and warm – 29 in the City 7.30am

Wow Intesha, that is so great! I nearly fell of the scales this morning too; after a very controlled weekend I dropped from 86.4 to 85.7! 85 in front! I can’t believe it! I’m not getting too carried away in case it’s a blip but 85 in front! It has been a very very long time since I have seen that. YAY! I don’t normally lose that much after a very good FD so go figure.

Neil that is very hot for NZ and especially down south. Your poor cat 🙁 but your picnic and swimming sounds lovely

Did all of those veges really come out of your garden LJ? WOW!!

Thin, Thailand next week! How exciting….how long are you going for?

Cinque, how lovely of you to volunteer to help the Thai women. I’m sure they will be so grateful

Lindsay, I don’t go clothes shopping much as I hate it (but this will change when I’m at goal) but the last time I went I naturally picked up a 20 and it was way too big so I went back for an 18 and it was too big too! I nicely fit into a 16 so was very happy about that. It was in the ‘big’ section so very different from a 16 in the ‘normal’ section but it was still nice. I don’t know if I will be able to throw my big clothes out…time will tell

Glad you had a great time Rosy and good luck with your B2B’s. I certainly couldn’t do it but whatever works for everyone is just amazing.

Cali – 4 degrees! Brrrrr…stay warm

I would love to do more replies but must get onto work…we are so busy I had to work yesterday to make up for spending lots of time on the phone to recruiters and long lunches for the two interviews. I have another one tomorrow and it is supposed to e 37 in the City…and I’ll be in a jacket and closed-in shoes and stockings. UGH

Have a great day all, and good luck to those fasting :):)

Another beautiful morning for me, Monday 11th, Melbourne 8:40am

I had a good fast day yesterday. And plan to have a good non fast day today.

I need to do a big planning day today, looking forward to it.

So interesting to read of people’s experience with clothes. I too had a trunk of variously sized clothes that I wanted to fit into. When I was losing weight, in the hungry hours on a fast day, I would try them on and see which ones were nearly fitting.
    But I also ended up donating most of them to opshops. I either got too small for them, or decided they weren’t what I wanted to wear after all.
    Once I got to my maintenance weight I decided I wanted really well fitting clothes (no more of those drapes!). All tucks and seams for me thanks.
    I am kind of past that now, but thanks to opshops I can play around with what I like, and feels comfortable. It is good fun finding out my new look.

LJoyce, all power to your friend. Such a lovely harvest. Your ratatouille sounds just delicious.

Rosy, glad you had a great weekend.

Minka, so nice to see your post. A big congratulations that your 6:1 is working so well.

Gday best wishes for a great 500cal week.

Neil, a river is the perfect place to be in the heat. I hope poor moggy survived.

Intesha, an impressive regime!

Anzac, woot! Into the 75’s! Yay for getting through work and the interviews.

Cali, brrr! You’ll be so glad when it gets to 10c!

Must run! Best wishes everyone for a particularly good day.

I truly wish I was at 75 Cinque…but sadly it’s only 85 (for now)

Damn, Anzac, I read it wrong. Oh well, congratulations on the 85’s! Still fab!
    (And the 75’s are on their way.)

9am Mon Adelaide
    Good morning everyone.

Intesha and Anzac, well done on the weight loss.

Unusually for me I’ve already done my long walk for the day. I needed to get my car to the mechanic for a service by 8am, so I walked long meandering route home.
    I’m now desperate for a cuppa as I only managed one cup before heading out this morning.
    FD for me today.

Morning everyone, I’m up early after a nfd as a I had to drop hub off at hospital. He is having a 1.7 mm kidney stone removed. Re clothes, I went from a size 14 to a ten. I still have 5 kg to go so don’t know what size a I’ll be then (I’m 169 cm although I used to be 171 cm). I’m taking 2 red size 14 dresses to the alterations place to get them taken in for Valentines celebrations. We are attending a Valentines’ themed party on Saturday. Off to work now , must rush. Lovely 28c in Perth today !

Good Morning everyone

I have just spent ages catching up on all your posts! I do love reading them all though.

Congratulations to you who are getting the nice figures on your scales. I know how good it feels when those numbers drop down and Anzac, you will soon be into the 70’s!

I am on a FD today. I am still reading in the 67’s but only just this morning. After a weekend that is ok. I am aiming for one kg at a time now as my goal as I am really struggling with the losing part. I am maintaining but not really losing any and that is not what I want. I know what I have to do and that is sort out my NFDs especially the weekends. I also think that I am sabotaging my self because I am actually basically happy with how my body looks right now. I still want to lose more as my goal is to be around the 60kg. Argh! I don’t know how to explain this.

I’m so looking forward to this cool week of high 20s temps.

Anzac, what great news on the scales. 85! Congratulations. I needed old stockings for my stag horn fern repair and was saying to OH that I didn’t know whether people still wore them these days. I guess you’re a bit more stylish in Sydney than we in the west! Then again, I haven’t been in the work force for some years. We’ll only be away a little over a week, not worth mentioning really but someone brought up Thailand. No mention of dog training so was it postponed?

Rosy, come to Thailand for the crown! The crazy thing is that it’s likely your crown will be manufactured in Thailand.

Cinque, pleased it was a good FD for you. Neil, that’s hot for Dunedin. Intesha, huge weight loss.

Quacka, you’ll get there. You can do it.

Quite a few more posts since I started this at 6am. Run out of time. Have a great day all, especially the fasters.

Oh Thin, I had to laugh at ‘stylish’. If only you could see me – I am the daggiest dresser ever and HATE dressing up. I don’t even own a suit. My work clothes are black pants (I wear black pants to work every day – I have several pairs) and a loose top. In summer I wear sandals. I am so dressed-down compared to many other woman but I don’t care. So for interviews I simply put a black jacket over my top and change my sandals for closed-in shoes and stocking socks. I should have been more description of the ‘stockings’ – not real ones but the little ankle ones….I haven’t worn a pair of stockings or pantyhose for at least 15 years!

News. I got the permanent role but they are offering 11k less than I asked for! Makes the decision easy….I will keep on contracting and cross my fingers it doesn’t come back to bite me at the end of the year when I need the 7 weeks off for the holiday

Thanks thin 🙂

Well, an old work friend just came in to work to say hello to us all. The first thing she mentioned after saying hello was about my weight loss. I still am so chuffed when people notice. When she was ready to go I said to her “it was so good to see you again” and she replied ” yeah you too, not that there’s much left of you!” lol

Thanks Quacka, the thought that I could soon have a 7 before my weight sends goosebumps down my spine! In a good way 🙂

How lovely it must be to have people notice your new bod 🙂 So happy for you

Anzac we take all the losses as a win. I think it Spurs us on just to have seen the number. That job wasn’t for you and I’m sure things will work out, just stay positive.

Quacka I fully identify with what you are saying. I love the fact that I am wearing size 10/12 and that I look good but I also would like to get to 60 but it’s not a goal set in stone. I have calculated my TDEE as if I was at 60 and have adjusted my eating accordingly and my FD to a quarter of that. But when it’s all said and done I’m not going to deprive myself, life is way too short and I’m not going to live with regrets

Back in the city for work tomorrow and missing the peace and quiet of the island already.
    I did have some good news today though. My scales this morning on the island showed I was down 100 grams again…but by the time I got home and got on the home scales (exactly the same model) I’d dropped by 400 grams. And when I looked at my spreadsheet (I know – pathetic aren’t I?), I’ve lost 1.2 kilos since 5th Feb. I’ll weigh again in the morning, when the full week is up, to see how I go on the same scales.
    LJ there are 3 townships on our island. We live in the middle one. The park at the end of our street looks out over the bay to Brisbane. It’s rare up here to see the sun setting over water, so it’s particularly beautiful. There’s a lovely bathing enclosure (more for boats than sharks) and a drive to the point, where the beautiful surf beaches are (there’s one in our community too, but it’s where the bay and the ocean meet, so dangerous swimming and for shark activity too). I love where we live …and even at the point, people are pretty laid back. Wildlife is the big thing on the island. Whale watching, kangaroos, koalas, huge turtles…I could go on.
    Rosy glad you intervened to save the ducks from being manhandled. Similar story, from the island. At one of the lakes we have huge lace monitors (goannas) – some are two metres. They don’t bother us, and we don’t bother them, but if you have a roast chicken for a picnic, they’re certainly interested! My DS and DIL were there over Christmas for a swim, and had to stop an Asian woman dangling her baby less than a metre from one of the lizards, while her husband took pics. I mean, these things are carnivores! And damn big ones too.
    Anzac and Thin. I gave up pantyhose years ago too – but when I need stockings for a dress and boots, I use stay-ups. And they do. Easy to put on, good if you ladder one (only one needs replacing) and great for gardening.
    LJ those veges! You must have green fingers.
    G’day good luck with the 5 FDs. That’s quite an undertaking.
    Neil sounds like you had a good plan to beat the heat.
    Here’s my tip all, for when the nights are unbearable and if like us, you don’t have aircon. Fill your hot water bottle in the morning and pop it in the freezer. About half an hour before bed, wrap it in a handtowel and slip it between the sheets. You’ll sleep like a baby (and you’ll know what time it is when you wake, by its state of thawedness, if such a word exists).
    OK I’ve missed heaps of posts, and rambled on too much.
    Night all.

Lindsay, that woman had probably been watching too many Steve Irwin videos. Do those stay-ups start at the toe, ball of the foot, ankle or calf? I’ve kept a daily weight spreadsheet since August 2014 when I started 5:2 so don’t feel bad! I’m thinking I could possibly progress to weekly records but don’t want to tempt fate.

Quacka, lovely that people are noticing your loss. Funny isn’t it how long it takes for anyone to say anything when you’re losing? But, then again, on the way up, no-one ever says anything no matter how much you gain!

Off to the Light Show at Kings’ Park tonight. It’s part of the Perth Festival.

Day 1 of my 500 cal week compete. 2 x black coffees as usual before I went to work. 2 x large glasses water with my electrolyte powder mid morning, cup of iced tea and small glass milk kefir mid arvo. Tea (dinner) at 5.30 pm was the most delicious chicken thigh casserole. First time I’ve made it and it was awesome. Feeling satisfied and ready for day 2. Hope everyone has had a good day.

@quacka, I’m in the 67s too and am aiming for 62, 61 or 60kg, not sure yet. How tall are you ? Have you worked out your bmi ? Mine is in the upper two thirds of the healthy weight range ie 23s. I would like to be in the lower half or third of the healthy weight range, about 21.

@ Thin, Id love to come to Thailand for my crown but just have had a big summer holiday ,also I pay top level HBF which is a lot imo and it should pay for something ! Have a pad Thai for me! Just love Thai food but not the climate! My long hair goes ultra frizzy !

@ GDay, your 5 btb Fast days sound like mine except instead of the night meal, Ibhave Metamucil. It takes 3 days of liquids only to pay for weekend indulgences and then Thurs and Fri I make inroads and by Sat morning I register a loss.

Thin, thank you for sending along the scales recommendation! I’ve already sent the link to my friend (who is still doing Jenny Craig!), well that and macrobiotic cleanses from time to time. We each have our own ways of addressing weight and health!

My weekly FD is Friday. I call it ‘Friday Fast Day’. I know it is probably one of the least popular days to fast since it is the start of the weekend and many people prefer to reserve the day for celebrating the start of their time off work. I’ve worked Saturdays for a couple of years, so Fridays do not hold the same meaning they do for others and the nature of my Friday work lends itself to my FD usually being easier than other work days.

Now that I’ve celebrated reaching my ‘Maintenance Goal’ I will add that it is not set in stone and that if I need to throw in an extra FD to return to 5:2 from time to time, I surely will and have no problem with that. It’s just good to know that it is possible to maintain on 6:1, even if I choose not to do so at any time!

Intesha, I agree with you that life is to be lived and enjoyed and that is why maintaining on 6:1 isn’t set in stone. I give myself the freedom and permission to live it up and enjoy from time to time and to feel no regrets in doing so!

5:2 is so forgiving. Thank goodness!

Well, it’s 10:00 pm and I better ready myself for bed so that I can wake up bright and early to be refreshed for work!

Totally agree with every word you said Minka ! The Fast Diet is so forgiving and can I add another F word? Flexible ! Hub and I celebrate our 2nd chance at life (2nd marriage) every weekend and tighten the belt during the working week. I am so envious of you reaching your maintenance goal ! Even though I have lost 17 kg, my goal of losing another 5 to 6 kg seems so far away !

@lindsay , we all have vastly different cultures and perspectives . When I was at Crown Towers on the weekend, I noticed ( I’m sure there is a cultural reason for this of which that I am sure I am not aware) but I did notice when it came to entering lifts and participating in a buffet, people who are not of European descent don’t wait for you to exit a lift before entering and barge in on a buffet when there is clearly a start and finish end.

Another story is that a waitress ( and the staff at Crown are delightful) asked me how I had ended up with a cast on my forearm which I then explained . She then continued to tell us about her friend who had broken both wrists inexplicably and she said that her friend was ‘ SMALL LiKE I ! I nearly had a cardiac arrest! Surely she wasn’t referring to me as SMALL !!!! I couldn’t believe it! Even hub remarked about it ! I guess it is like Thin and others have referred to, that your mental image of yourself has to adapt. The dress I wore to the Queen concert was bought before Xmas when it used to sit on all my bulging bits and pieces . When I wore it on Sat, mentally I didn’t expect it to look any different, ( I even packed a cover up ), but I was shocked to see it was roomy and Thin has seen the pic to back up my surprised reaction !

Good morning! It’s going to be 37 in Sydney today and I have a job interview….ugh. I like the sound of this one; it’s a huge 7 year program at one of the big four banks and if I can get in and do a good job I could be secure for a few years instead of this stress of waiting to hear if there’s an extension every 6 months and when there isn’t having to look for a new job. Fingers crossed…

FD today but I’ll need to have a few crackers and a piece of fruit before I go to the interview as a loud rumbling tummy will not be a good thing!

Ok must go and study up my questions and sample answers…have a great day everyone

Morning. It’s going to be 35 here too … and 41 tomorrow. Will this weather ever end?
    Rosy some cultures don’t have the same perspective on personal space. When we lived in China my OH would stand at the usual space at the ticket machine at the underground. By the time he was ready to buy his ticket, 20 people had pushed on through. I guess if you live with 1.4 billion people, personal space isn’t such an issue.
    Nor is noise. Our new neighbours were out in their car port until 2 am, doing Lord knows what but it involved drilling, sounds of water, and a lot of shouting to each other. At least they weren’t swearing (as far as I know … my Mandarin doesn’t run to swear words).

No movement on the scales today – water, I am sure. FD today and tomorrow, which should make a difference.
    Good luck with the job interview Anzac.
    Thin, the stay-up stockings are like the old variety, but instead of requiring a suspender belt (anyone remember those?) they end high-thigh with an elasticised lace band. Much more comfortable (and pretty) than pantyhose. KMart has them, I think.
    Nice, Rosy, for someone to recognise the new slim you. Ditto Quacka.
    still on the subject of clothes – When some of mine were too too big, I bundled some up and took them to a tailor in Hoi An in Vietnam. Some she was able to alter, but a couple didn’t lend themselves so she copied them. Better than having to ditch those I wore a lot (although the second time I did it, I took the fabrics with me, because I am not always a fan of those she stocks).
    OK work calls. Stay cool (or warm) everyone, depending on where you are.

Good morning, Melbourne here, 8:30am, a beautiful morning with the lovely sound of a leafblower right outside the window. Sigh. About 20 minutes, for them to do the flats, and this is the worst bit (for me).

We’ve got an antarctic blast hitting early this afternoon and the temperature will go down to 15c. Melbourne! 4 seasons in one day.

In the meantime you are sweltering while preparing for your interview, Anzac. So glad that it is sure to be in an air-conditioned building. It sounds like a great project, so sending you heaps of good wishes.

LJoyce, I bet you loved that first cup of tea yesterday (and maybe another one straight after). Hope the car is all nicely serviced.

Rosy, how is Mr RosyPosy going today? I do hope all went well with the stone removal.
    What a pleasurable task, to take those dresses to be altered! You might skip all the way there.

Quacka, good luck with working out what you can do to get the weight loss happening again. Rant ahead: I am afraid that it is secret 5:2 business that for most of us there are a few stages, and each one has its own difficulties. It seems that you are at the stage where the fast days are under control, but you have to look at ‘normal eating’ more closely to discover why you aren’t losing weight as quickly. And if you are like me you will find out that there isn’t as much wriggle room as you thought. Sigh.
    It is a sad process, so luckily it is good for your weight and your health.
    You’ll work out whether it is snacks, or portion sizes, or desserts, or pasta and bread, or whatever it is that you need to change. Weekends you say? Oh well, you can do it.
    This is why Thin keeps saying “enjoy losing weight! maintenance isn’t that much fun”. It seems the closer we get to our goal weight, the more of our bad habits, or the ways we use food for comfort, or the social traps we get into, gain more importance and we have to deal with them.
    Lucky that being a healthy weight, and that lovely light feeling, makes the hard, relentless work worthwhile. And 5:2 holds us steady while we work things out.
    Yes, for some people it is not like this at all, but for quite a few of us, this is life, even after a few years. We keep that philosophy Intesha and Minka and others have been talking about, and it is a pleasure to gradually sort it out (but then the next roadblock pops up).

Ok, I’m off to make coffee. My roadblock at the moment is sneaking extra things in. I cleared some culprits out of the pantry and I’m having a clear no snacks policy for myself, but I am concentrating on having lovely meals so I can really look forward to each one. Day before fast day for me.

Hello to everyone!

and a quick addendum.
    Cinque, I meant to say, great tip, to get though hunger on a FD by trying on clothes that are just a wee bit too tight. Good for passing the time, and great for motivation.

Viewing 50 posts - 19,551 through 19,600 (of 28,021 total)

You must be logged in to reply.