Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,857 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Neilithicman 1 day, 5 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 19,151 through 19,200 (of 27,961 total)

• Thanks Anzac, LJ and everyone, for the well wishes regarding my back injury. Still somewhat stiff this morning, but a definite improvement from yesterday’s limited ability to move on my own. I won’t be getting back to weights for a couple of days yet, I know, but I’m able to move up and around on my own again thankfully! If anything, my neck is hurting worse than my back, but is also improving. It’ll be fine in a few days. I have to say, though, those Deep Heat patches work so well, as do the Salon Pas patches for smaller areas. They’re expensive, but worth it with big injuries. Just FYI.

Today has been a Fast Day for me. I’m currently sitting at 425 cal on Saturday 8 pm. Just had a big Greek salad and some chicken. Even factored in a piece of bread to mop up those lovely juices in the bottom of the bowl. I’ve been drinking a lot of water today too, and it has actually kept the hunger at bay like you all mentioned! Nice! Sleeping the afternoon away helped too, I have to admit.

LJ, Cinque and Quacka – I think I’ll be okay without physio this time, although I am seriously considering booking a very overdue appointment with my massage therapist. It has been too long and I could do with the relaxation! Also, I thought of Quacka’s poor abused foot when I mentioned dropping the trophy too. LOL. Don’t worry Quacka, got the trophy right here! Thanks for the sparkly gold cup, Cinque!

FM: “Bingo wings”! Hahahaha. I love it. Between you and Quacka, we’ll have new names for every parts of our bodies. Oh dear, I’ve done something similar to your sister-in-law with a dead branch. Pulled it right down on top of me, but thankfully wasn’t a big one. Hasn’t been cooling down here in Australia much at night lately or, if it does, the heat ramps up very quickly again come morning. It’s currently not too bad, although it’s just after 8 pm and the sun has set already. More ridiculous heat forecast for next week. Where are you from again?

Thin: I have a significant amount of weight to lose. I’m heavier now than I was even at 10 days overdue pregnant with my now-13 year old. So that gives an indication enough. Almost the end of another fast day at the moment, so I’m hopeful for tomorrow’s scale to be that little bit lower. Fantastic health results for you with the fasting WOL! That’s great inspiration. My BP is perfect, has always been, but my bad cholesterol levels are high, my body aches, and I have low stamina for things in general. So I’m really looking forward to all the improvements. I have been loving the weights sessions I’ve been doing, and have been feeling stronger, only for it all to come to a grinding halt with this back injury. I’m determined though! I’ll get back on that gym set! About the lady who was hospitalised – I didn’t push for details. I could tell that this friend didn’t think a lot of my decision to start 5:2, and I didn’t want to prolong the conversation. I just told her I would be careful and changed the subject. Oh, and the cauliflower rice was definitely Quacka. I’ve never made it, but I had some at her house over Christmas and it was nice!

Is anyone fasting tomorrow (Sunday)? All the best with it! The next couple of weeks will be a little more challenging for me as far as fasting goes, and I won’t be able to for the next two Saturdays with a guest visiting. I’ll have to choose an extra weekday for a couple of weeks. As we say, “She’ll be right, mate!”

Just back from Bohemian Rhapsody and you can add my name to those of you who loved it. It was much better than I anticipated from the reviews I’d read. Rami Malek was so convincing that I kept forgetting it wasn’t actually Freddie Mercury. It was a lovely way to pass a stinking hot afternoon. But what a subdued audience! Back in my day, absolutely everyone would have been on their feet dancing and singing once the Wembley Stadium performance commenced (signalling the end of the movie since that’s where it had started). Instead I had a really overweight woman fully reclined next to me still working her way through a wheelbarrow full of popcorn and a gallon of sticky drink. Oh, and three mobile phones went off – one woman actually answered hers! Unbelievable.

Kanga, ah, so it was Quacka with the cauliflower sushi. I’ll be fasting tomorrow – and LJ and Cinque have been my Sunday fasting buddies for ages. I think you’re right, sometimes it’s best to side step the 5:2 detractors. Good job with your FD today. You will feel so good when the first digit of your weight changes on the scales. I never expected to get into the 60s and I can still remember seeing 69.9 on the scales. You’ve just reminded me that I have a massage voucher at my favourite hole in the wall place. FM is in New Hampshire. It’s 7pm here and still 33C. That’s unusual. Now it says 41C for tomorrow. But next week is back in the 20s.

There are so many Dr Michael Mosley accounts on Instagram, all with his picture on them. Does anyone know which account is his real and current one? I’d like to add it to my feed, so I can see it on the rare occasion I check Instagram.

I agree with Cinque that Kanga and Quacka’s Greek Aussie team easily won the Clumsy Olympics! It made me wince just reading about inflicting those injuries. Ouch!

Anzac from the wins an Oscar for The bathroom scale multi placement and jogging in place award for discovering the best placement of a bathroom scale to achieve optimal weight reporting.

Thin, it seems cruel to make children eat inferior food and to eat meals without parents. So much for family time!

LJ, I can see the Moosewood, EBF and Still Life with Menu cookbooks in the bookcase across the room from here. Those were my favorite cookbooks for years. With all the cheese and dairy I didn’t lose much weight eating from them though.
    We have the 1 liter cartons of nut and soy milks here, but these 1.89 liter sizes are more popular and sold in the refrigerated section. https://silk.com/products Most are around $3.98 when not on sale. The cashew milk is really good. I always buy the unsweetened versions. Your cherry tomatoes are beautiful!

Cinque, I’ve purchased those beans labeled light red kidney beans and been disappointed as well. It’s not that they’re bad tasting beans, it’s just that they don’t taste like kidney beans. They’re more of a generic bean flavor. Chick peas and kidney beans are my favorites. The smell of kidney beans cooking is almost as enticing as the smell of meat on the barbie. (Not bacon though, that has to be the best smell in the world. They should make it into a perfume!)

60kg this morning, my typical during the week bounce.

Good morning,
    Sunday fast day for me, hello fellow Sunday fasters! 8:40am

Kanga, as far as I can see, this is his instagram account https://www.instagram.com/bbcmichaelmosley/?hl=en set up for him by the BBC and not really used.
    I’m not properly into instagram yet, so I might be wrong. But while I was looking I discovered (on twitter) that he has just arrived in NZ and is reading up on what Australians think of Brexit. Haha. No doubt we will see him on our media soon.

LJoyce, big congratulations on such a good week. I am having a similar one, and it feels so nice.

It makes my mouth water to think of that grated veggie crust as a giant rosti. I wondered why she didn’t grate everything, salt it all and leave it to drain, and then squeeze, not just the summer squash, so I think I will try it that way. I great recipe for my food processor grater disk!
    And great minds think alike, I was wondering about making individual ones in small pie dishes. But in muffin holes, wouldn’t they make great finger food!

Hooray for Woollies, re the legumes. A mixture of better health and a more multicultural society maybe. That is what it seems to be here.

Cali, it amazed me that you had THE SAME THING with those red beans! It’s a small world.

Thin, haha, glad to vindicate you! https://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/2018/04/12/youre-wrong-if-youve-been-calling-afternoon-tea-high-tea
    Every time I hear ‘High Tea’ now I will think of baked beans and fish fingers.

Kanga, good news re your back, I’m hoping it is better again this morning.
    The good thing about starting 5:2 from a heavy weight, is you get longer to enjoy the downward ride!

I planted lettuce seedlings yesterday. Crazy I know, and I managed to pick a punnet with about three times the 8 in tight groups of three, so by the time I have prised them apart and planted them out, just before the next stage of the heatwave, I have my work cut out to keep them alive. I replanted the smallest ones in the seedling tray and they look happy this morning. Now to be putting covers on and off the rest to protect them from this fierce sun (even when the temperature doesn’t seem to be so high).

I’m hoping to fill this fast day up with so many houseworky things that I don’t even notice my tummy grumbling. Ooh, and Thin, I bought black fungus so I have that soaking with my shiitake. It will be a lovely miso soup this evening.

Best wishes to everyone, fasting, non fasting, enjoying the day before or after a fast day, or that rare lull day!

Good morning, ladies and man! 10:20 am here, Sunday morning.

I hope your FD goes well today, Sunday fasters!

My FD was yesterday. Weighed myself this morning, and I’m down 0.4 kg since four days ago after my last FD. That makes a total of 2.9 kg since New Year’s Day. So exciting. Noticed my jeans aren’t quite as tight today. They’re still a little uncomfortable, but I’m stubborn and refuse to buy the next size up. I am confident that they’ll be very comfortable in a week or two.

My measurements are a little confusing. I’m not losing much at all, but seem to have increased a little in most areas. Since Jan 8th:

Neck +1 cm (How? Weights?)
    Bust -2 cm (YAY!!!)
    Waist -1.5cm (YAY!!!)
    Hips +6.5 cm (How?! Did I measure incorrectly the first time? In the last week it’s +2 cm)
    Biceps +2 cm (from the weights?? Why am I not losing fat there as well?)
    Thigh -2 cm (YAY!!!)
    Calf -0.5 cm (Not a big loss, but still a loss, from ongoing weights I’m assuming. I love the leg lifts!)

So a few yays, a couple of hows, and one or two whyyys…

Overall, pretty good? I have no idea. I feel a bit better now since Jan 1, so I’ll keep plugging away. I don’t get these measurements though.

Cinque, I absolutely loved reading that article – thank you! You have just reminded me to soak my black fungus. I thought of it last night and then it went out of my mind. We’ll be having the same FD meal this evening. I hope your little lettuces survive and that you get loads of housework done. In a Cinque kind of way.

CalifD, it was cruel and she remains the wicked step-mother! For once, I have you beaten. But only by 100g. I’m 59.9kg this morning because of the sushi. That will be fixed today. Race you back to 59.0kg!

Kanga, what a tremendous loss already. That’s double the rate I lost my weight. It’s good that you measured all those parts, I recommend it. But, I suppose you have to keep in mind that measuring is very subjective i.e. remembering exactly where you held the tape last time and being careful not to pull it too tightly or too loosely.

Rosy, are you sleeping it all off this morning? Or maybe the party is still going?

LJ, I expect your post will be there just as soon as I command it with my hitting of ‘submit’. Are you with us today? I forgot to say last night, well done on returning to such controlled eating. It’s good to get back in the groove.

OK, air-con’s on, sprinklers have done their magic, 41C anticipated here, it was 32C while I was out walking before 7am. Looking forward to a productive day of cleaning and cleaning out.

Good morning everyone. Lovely weather here today, but it’s the last gasp before another very hot week.
    FD for me, and like Cinque I’ll be spending it cleaning the house. I’ll also be doing some cooking so that I can just reheat things when the hot weather returns tomorrow.

Kanga, some measurements are easier to get in the exactly the same spot than others. The only way to be sure would be to draw lines with a permanent texta – not a good look! I found with hips I would move the tape a few times until I found the biggest spot – I think it’s very likely you were measuring a slightly different spot last time. The only other thing that could have a big impact on my hip measurement was my monthly cycle – there was always one week where my hip measurement went up by several centimeters. I also find I get different bust measurements depending on which bra I’m wearing. The other thing I’d suggest is that you use a firm fitting set of clothing and check to see how the fit changes (tight jeans will give you an honest review). This will also tell you whether you are measuring slightly different spots each time.
    I think the 2.9kg in less than 3 weeks tells it’s own story – you are doing well even if some numbers don’t make sense. Don’t worry, over time they’ll all go down.

Cinque, every time I make anything with grated veg (like that crust), I always squeeze out all the water I can from the veg – even if a recipe doesn’t tell me too. I actually got caught out a couple of weeks ago when I made a few dozen cheesy zucchini bites to be frozen. I was surprised as how little milk the recipe called for, then I realised that if I hadn’t squeezed all the water out of the zucchini it would have been about right. Oh well, I just added more milk!
    We usually get hot weather into March, so I think you’ll have plenty of time to enjoy those lettuce. Usually they are ready to start picking within 4-6 weeks.

Cali, we have fresh almond milk in the supermarket dairy cabinet too, but it’s still only in 1 litre containers. I like the shelf life of the product I buy as my use of almond week varies from week to week so I never know how much I’ll need. It is very expensive though – more than even the priciest cows milk.
    I don’t think the Moosewood books were designed to be low cal – just tasty vegetarian fare. Although the versions available now have been altered. A friend of mine bought the Moosewood book about 5 years ago and hers has some different recipes to mine and other recipes have been changed to be lower fat. WHen I looked at her website I cold see that the version available now is the 40th anniversary edition and the recipes were deliberately altered tn make them lighter and healthier.

Cali & Cinque, When I was looking on Mollie Katzen’s recipe website I noticed that she has recently published a new cookbook called “The Heart of the Plate-Vegetarian Recipes for a New Generation”. http://www.molliekatzen.com/books.php (If you click on the picture of the book it will let you look at a lot of the pages and see the recipes.) This book is quite different to the old ones and more aligned to the current wholefood plant based movement, and although it’s not a vegan book it’s a whole lot closer to that style of eating than her earlier recipes.

I actually decided to dig the scales out of the spare bathroom cupboard and weigh myself this morning. Learning to be controlled last week seems to have had it’s effect as I’m finally back down to 75kg – that means I’m 3kg down on where I was at the beginning of December. It’s incredible how persistent the old thinking/eating patterns are and how they never disappear but have to be managed.
    Most of you will know that I spent a long time trying to keep my weight in the 75-78 range as it was where I felt comfortable and “safe”. Last year I realised I was finally not scared of weighing less than that, so this year I’m hoping to see if my weight will settle into the low 70s. If I can continue with the more controlled way of eating that keeps treat foods out of normal daily eating, then I’m hopeful of being a bit lighter and having healthier eating too. It’s not really a specific weight I’m aiming for, it’s also a level of fitness that makes me feel like my body is lean and strong too.
    Those of you who are new to the forum might be a bit surprised at someone settling for a weight in the 70s and considering it to be “lean”, when many of you are starting your weight loss journey in the 70s or 80s and trying to get into the 50s or 60s. For me it has been a different journey. I spent most of my life morbidly obese and at my heaviest (about 25 years ago) I was nearly 150kg. In 2012, when I finally decided I needed to fix my weight issue once and for all, I was 127kg. For me maintaining my current weight has been laced with a very large dose of fear that I would regain all those kilos I lost (as I’d always done before – and as most of my family probably still thinks I will). That has meant maintaining a weight where I was healthy and that I felt I could manage. My GP also encouraged me to stop and maintain as he’s ridden this journey with before and has seen me regain huge weight losses before. I’ve been in my current 75-78 range since May 2015 – with one major deviation in December 2016 when I regained 9kg and used 5:2 to get it off. 5:2 has made a huge difference as I was having to monitor every calorie every day to try and keep my weight stable before that – I could see myself getting to a point where I just couldn’t cope with doing that anymore. The dietitian has gradually weaned me off of weighing myself and everything I eat every day and I’ve slowly started to trust myself to make better decisions without the continual counting and weighing. It’s taken me a few years to gradually get to a point where I don’t feel afraid anymore – cautious yes, but not afraid.

Well that’s my self reflection for the day.

Have a good day everyone. Good luck to the fasters.

Thin, yes our posts crossed as usual. And yes I am fasting with you – no black fungus for though. For dinner I’m having a large salad of cucumber, tomato and lettuce with half a medium tin of salmon. Sounds like all the fasters are having a cleaning day!

LJ, although I know your ‘story’, it was interesting to read it all again. As I always say, we are still the same people we always were but now we have the toolbox to manage our food behaviours. This is where Minka grapples with the concept of 5:2, as do I. It’s working perfectly for us yet we want to know why we can’t ‘just eat normally’? But, it’s as you say, the old eating patterns don’t ever really go away. Looking around that shopping mall yesterday, especially watching the cinema patrons enter the theatre, spilling their armfuls of junk food, it is clear that what it means to ‘eat normally’ is not a good thing. We are doing so well in the context of the general population.

I still live in fear that I could wake up one day and decide that I no longer want to fast. But I also know that I’m never going back. I, too, feel that people still expect me to put all that weight back on. I’ve got news for them. Having maintained for 41 months, I’m now well past the period where I would normally have started piling any lost weight back on. This gives me great confidence, just as your experience has given you increased confidence. Well done!

Hi guys, feeling very seedy this morning, well deserved ! Naturally it’s a fd to recover from the post party bloat. It was an ABBA karaoke night and a lot of fun. Yes I managed to squeeze into my ABBA costume. Friends were commenting that it was amazing that I had lost so much weight (still have 5 kg of chubby behind to go ). I will reply to posts as I get the time.

@lj , hats off to you with your inspirational weight loss story !

Hellooo….so many posts but I’ve caught up now.

Well our party went really well and the food we cooked was a huge hit. Everything was home-made and we had chicken satays, little Caesar salads in lettuce cups, beef koftas with a chilli sauce plus a yoghurt sauce, spring rolls with chicken breast, cabbage and a sweet, spicy, sticky Asian sauce, mini chicken schnitzels with a peri peri mayonnaise and pork ribs. I couldn’t believe how much was eaten! So lots of great food, wine and friendship and fun. Now back on the wagon with 5:2 as the time ticks down to our big holiday in 10.5 months

How are you feeling Quacka and Kanga? I hope your injuries are on the mend

I’ll post some responses tomorrow when I’m back at work as I have to go and make some FD food to ensure I’m nice and organised next week.

I did want to say hi to Penguin and say that I’m glad your Robin is back. I have an affinity for them; something to do with my name…. 🙂 I would love to live somewhere with wildlife on my doorstep – wild boar! Wow

And LJ, my goal is to be in the low 70’s. I was (I think) 74 when I got married and I was only slightly overweight. I don’t want to be super thin, just healthy and able to wear size 14 clothes from ‘normal’ shops, not big-girl shops. So I totally understand why you don’t feel the need to go any lower.

Penguin, it’s great to hear from you and so nice to hear that your Robin has returned. You seem to manage water or liquid fasts for 2 or 3 (or more) days so easily. I find even a single day of water only fasting difficult. It’s not really because of hunger. It’s probably more because I expect to eat something, even a couple hundred calories at lunch and at dinner. But I do think it is a healthy thing to do. Maybe I’ll give them another try this year.

Thin, I never did measurements when I was losing for the same reasons you mentioned. Finding the exact same spot on hips and thighs can be a challenge. And remembering how tight to hold the tape measure can be difficult too. Feeling how clothing fits, especially jeans, is my way of determining how much flab I’ve lost. And weighing daily helps.

Rosy, glad your party went well and that you had fun.

LJ, I don’t think setting a weight goal has to mean that it’s your forever goal. A few years down the line you might set another. I think when you feel good at a certain weight and it’s easy on your joints, that’s the important thing. You’ve lost an amazing amount of the weight you had most of your adult life. That’s a huge accomplishment.

I almost always compose my posts on an iPad, and often notice typos after my 5 minutes are up for editing. A lot of it is due to auto spellcheck adding letters or changing a word. I apologize for the typos I miss.

You don’t miss many do you, CalifD? Well, some might argue that ‘apologize’ is a typo. Just joshing with you! 🙂 I loved what Cinque once wrote about error-free writing. She said that it’s ‘a gift to the reader’.

Rosy & Anzac, it sounds like you both had wonderful Saturday nights with much merriment and food – and for Rosy at least – singing.

Cali, I learned to touch type as a teenager and whether it was a typewriter or later on a keyboard, I seemed to have certain fingers that were quick and some that were always slower. It means I always seem to get letters in the wrong order. I usually end up editing most posts at least twice – and still I miss typos! Oh well, as long as you can figure out what I was trying to say than it’s ok.
    I know that my weight goals are ok for me, I just sometimes feel I need to explain as pretty much everyone else has a lower goal.
    I definitely agree about the jeans – they are my reliable judges on how my weight is doing. At the moment I’m happy as only the smallest ones fit nicely – always a good sign.

Cinque, Thin and anyone else fasting – hope it’s been an easy day.
    I spent most of the afternoon cleaning and cooking and got through without feeling hungry at all. That was until I put a tray of stuffed zucchini and a large baking dish of zucchini-mushroom frittata into the oven to bake. Having to deal with those aromas when I knew it was not on the menu for dinner was unkind. However, everything is now cooling and I’ve eaten a bowl of salad with a little tinned salmon for dinner. I also had enough of the chicken-chorizo mixture that I used to stuff the zucchini left over that I was able to make some rissoles that I’ve already frozen. We have 4 very hot days to come here and I’m glad that I won’t have to turn the stove or oven on at all – I just need to reheat things. That will be most welcome.

Tomorrow, my niece and I are taking her youngest and my nephew’s kids to the build-a-bear shop. I hope it’s fun and not too hideously expensive – as I’ve said it’s my treat. I have also promised the kids a meal in the huge food hall at the shopping centre. That means I’m eating there too, so I’ll be hoping to find something that doesn’t blow my controlled day out of the water. I’m hoping that there’s a yiros place that will let me just have the barbequed lamb and salad – trying not to eat white bread on CDs.

4pm Sunday. We drove to Nottingham yesterday to see one of the grand daughters competing in the British national synchro skating competition. We stayed overnight and after a cold day in the ice rink we ate unwisely. Home now and not expecting the Monday morning weight check to be good. A serious Monday/Tuesday b2b will be in order!

Penguin, there’s something about cold weather, or being out in it, that seems to make most people more hungry. I notice that on winter FDs I’m usually cold, even if the house is fairly warm. I often wear an extra layer to try and stay warm.

I bet your grand daughter’s skating competition was fun to watch. That’s one part of the Olympics that I rarely miss.

It’s rainy, overcast and cold today, at least by California standards.

Good morning from a much cooler Sydney, thankfully. 8.30am

I forgot to say thankyou LJ for your post about your weight loss journey. I love hearing all of your success stories as they are incredibly motivating

Kanga you are doing so well! I tried to measure but found it frustrating so I am just using my clothes to tell where the weight is coming off from. I tend to put on weight from my hips down and lose it from my waist up. Very annoying! Glad your back is feeling better

Thin, glad you enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody; I can’t wait to see it too. I bet you were aching to talk to that woman next to you about 5:2? I have a couple of overweight friends who came to the barbie on Saturday and I tried to tell them about it but they weren’t really interested sadly. I felt sad about how you were not able to eat with your father and stepmother when you were almost the same age as her AND you were given inferior food. I just think that is so terrible!

FD tomorrow and it is badly needed after a VERY over-indulgent weekend. I feel quite awful and glad the weekend is over to be honest. The only good thing, other than enjoying myself with our friends, was I was a mad cleaning woman on Friday and hopefully the exercise did some good!

Good luck with your lettuces Cinque. We have tried a few times with little success so we don’t bother now. We should because I eat so much of it and the good ones can be expensive. Poor OH has lost more than half the cherry tomato crop to blasted caterpillas despite his vigilence and fixation with finding and killing them

Glad your party went well Rosy and it must have felt so good to have people comment on how well you are looking

Cali/Thin, you made me smile with your ‘race you to 59.0’. It’s close to 30 kilos away from me so you can imagine how incredulous I am at your success! I’ll be there soon – not 59, nowhere near it – but at my goal. I can’t believe that this time last year I was almost tippling 100kg. I also can’t believe how quickly the time is flying so if I don’t get moving the holiday will be here and I won’t be at goal. That. Is. Not. An. Option.

Hi Quacka, I hope your toe is feeilng better. I’m sorry but I did have a giggle at your ‘lessons learnt’. Thankyou, I did learn something for sure

Have a great day all and stay cool over in Adelaide LJ and anyone else there. I saw the forecast this morning and tomorrow is apparently worse. Ugh

Anzac, I bet it was a great gathering and I bet everyone looks forward to food at your house. Too bad that your overweight friends aren’t receptive to hearing about 5:2. I’m about to meet my friend for a walk. We’ve been walking since 2001 and she’s seen how this has changed my life, asked me all about it but never seems to get around to starting. She’s a bit like the January dieters/exercisers that Penguin encounters at his gym. But it never seems to happen. She must be close to 100kg now, does all sorts of exercise, sees that it’s having no impact on her weight but won’t change her eating habits.

Penguin, it must have been beautiful watching your gd skating.

CalifD, I’d love some of that rain. We survived almost 42C yesterday and today will be a cold 32C. I hope I haven’t offended you by joshing about the American spellings. There’s been ongoing banter in our household for 30 years and I forget that other people might be sensitive to it.

Beat you here this morning, Cinque. Hope your FD was excellent. Yours too LJ and someone else who was fasting. Oh, I realised (after soaking my black fungus) why I hadn’t done it the night before. I already had the leftovers for last night’s FD in the fridge. D’oh! All this fasting doesn’t seem to be helping my addled brain. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Good Morning everyone

Back at work this morning and its a FD. Yay!! I was having a good weekend until yesterday when we had friends over for a BBQ lunch. That was all fine and I didn’t overeat but then at dinner we had leftovers. I had bought a loaf of white bread in case the kids wanted to have a sausage sandwich so it had been sitting on the bench calling me all day! I ate some of the lovely salad OH made and a couple of mini chicken wings and then I thought to have a slice of bread. Well that was it. I had several more than ‘a’ slice of bread and felt very guilty and silly afterwards. I rarely eat bread these days so sometimes I just go a bit nuts on it. It’s better to just not have it in the house. Oh well, looking forward not backwards.

I have had to put enclosed shoes on today to come to work and my poor little toe is protesting. I have brought my thongs with me but then I am concerned that I could kick my toe or drop something on it without the protection of a shoe. I’ll just have to see how I go.

I have brought a cabbage salad with tomato and cucumber, mint and coriander in it as my 3pm food. It will be like a Thai Beef salad without the beef. That’s if I even need it. I’m often not that hungry when I know I have food to eat. Funny how that works.

Anyway have a great day everyone. I will be checking in a few times over the day. Byeeeee

My biggest downfall Quacka is bread. I just love it and will never give it up but like you I rarely eat white bread – but if it is in the house I can’t resist. Don’t worry about it as you said it is behind you and you have a lovely FD to erase all memory of it!

Thin, I work for a Canadian Bank and use my work laptop mostly to post here. So it automatically changes authorise to authorize etc and I have to go back to ‘correct’ it 🙂 so if I ever have American/Canadian spelling that’s why. Such as shame about your friend too; I’m amazed that she hasn’t cottoned on and started 5:2 with your guidance

Quacka, is 3pm your first feeding of a FD? I agree it’s psychological knowing there’s food available often means we don’t need it. Maybe you should get one of those bunion boots to protect your toe! Always a good look.

Anzac, my laptop auto corrects to American spelling too. The trouble is that I lived in the US for so long that I’ve become confused on which is the ‘correct’ spelling. Correct for me, that is. I have the same problem with pronunciation of certain words, forgetting which is ‘right’.

Good morning SHs, sounds like most of you had a much more exciting weekend than I did! I spent yesterday cleaning and cooking. I have a sore back this morning because I was foolish enough to vacuum, sweep and mop floors all in one afternoon. For some reason those tasks always upset my back and when I’m sensible I spread them out.

Anzac & Quacka, I’m the same with bread. I eat it but I’m mostly selective with the type – wholegrains, sourdough and preferably rye or spelt. However I too have done exactly what Quacka did on Sunday – also because I’d bought white bread for guests. I find with the dense sourdoughs I can usually stop at 2 slices and it doesn’t set my hunger off like a runaway train in the way white bread does. I tend to treat white bread the same as white pasta – an occasional treat to have when I’m out but not part of everyday fare at home.

Rosy, I hope yesterday’s FD dealt with your indulgences from Saturday night. Do you think you’ll get to wear that costume again?

Penguin, it sounds like a good day out. I hope your grand-daughter did well and enjoyed herself. You always seems to shift any recent gains quickly with your B2B fast – I’m sure you will this time too.
    I agree with Cali – there’s something about the cold weather that makes me crave plenty of hot foods. I remember reading somewhere that average weights used to follow an annual cycle – rising a little in winter and falling a little in summer. I’m not sure whether the rising obesity issue has obscured that tend these days.

Anzac, the caterpillars got to mine as well, but I have such a bumper crop that I can live with the 20% with grub damage.

Thin, I understand how frustrating it can be to see someone who’d benefit from 5:2 but can’t seem to start it. Sometimes it takes people a long time to get into the right head space to lose weight. I think it’s because weight is often about a lot more than food – it’s also about emotions and memories and you have to be ready to deal with all of that to lose weight and keep it off. My best friend needs to get her weight down too, but she hasn’t shown any interest in 5:2, her approach is to remove most of the high fat high sugar foods and just eat healthier.

Have a good day everyone.
    Good luck to Quacka and Penguin and anyone else doing a Monday fast day.

Hello, hello lovely people,
    Nice after-fast-day morning, and cooler than expected here too, Anzac.
    My lettuces survived yesterday but had a big challenge from the local blackbird this morning who is digging bucket sized holes in my garden. Amazingly, I think I have only lost one seedling.

Glad to hear on the news this morning about the nice time the tennis watchers have been having.

Also lovely to hear of the wonderful celebrations Rosy Posy and Anzac.

Kanga, isn’t it fascinating that the most scientific ways to watch our weight (scales and tapemeasures) are the ones that do our heads in!
    Before long you will be seeing it in the mirror.

Eep, got waylaid and it is three hours after I wrote the above, and I have to run.. Write more later!

LJ, I think everyone had a more exciting weekend than I’m having here. I was feeling out of sorts yesterday and today it’s been raining with a short intense burst an hour or so ago that sent what looked like a rushing creek down the side of our road near our hill, further damaging some of the edge of the road, actually displacing some of the concrete or whatever they use to make roads. The damage started with another storm a few days ago. The county will fix it, but it all has to dry out first which could be a couple months. It seems like it’s feast or famine here, either a drought or near flooding. All this rain will probably encourage more vegetation which will make for a greater fire risk, come summer.

Thin, I always end up looking up words like apologize or agonize because I see them spelled both ways so often on the internet. After a while both look correct to me. Words like favorite or favourite are more obvious to me. Still, sites like this one usually have the European spelling.

The only white bread we often have in the house is sourdough, which is a little more dense than regular white bread, but not like a whole grain bread which we always have. I’m not sure it’s the bread itself that’s a problem as much as the butter or whatever you spread on it. Bread isn’t a binge food for me but it is an ‘overeat’ food sometimes.

Wow Cali, you sound like you are living in Australia with the extreme weather. Do you know the lovely poem ‘My Country’ by Dorothea Macellar? This stanza sums up Australia perfectly:
    I love a sunburnt country
    A land of sweeping plains
    Of ragged mountain ranges
    of droughts and flooding rains
    I love her far horizon
    I love her jewel-sea
    Her beauty and her terror –
    The wide brown land for me!

Bread isn’t a binge food for me either, but definitely a target for overeating so I have to be careful. I have bread every single NFD but almost never white, always grainy. I normally have 1 slice of low GI bread with less than a quarter of a teaspoon of butter with a nice piece of lean leg ham for breakfast. Then lunch is often a low GI roll with turkey or chicken and salad or maybe just a meaty salad such as thai beef or chicken. On weekends I sometimes treat myself to the Aldi multigrain sourdough which is amazing….

Hi everyone

Well it’s lunchtime at our work and so far I haven’t really felt hungry, that’s not to say I haven’t been thinking about food a lot. I have. I have been drinking fluids all day so far, including one black coffee. I have a bottle of water that I put a few mint leaves in and its amazing how that subtle flavour is so nice.
    Bread. Most of the time I can ignore it. OH always has bread in his tucker bag although in the last year or so he has been buying multi grain instead of white. I hardly ever feel like eating it, even though sometimes he will have a slice or two with dinner to maybe mop up some curry or stew. Yesterday I just wanted to have one slice and then it snowballed. I did the self sabotage thing where I as like “oh well, I have had one slice, I may as well just have more”. I was totally aware of it but I just didn’t stop. Strange.

Yes, thin, 3pm is about the time I start to get really hungry. There are some days that I just ignore it and I can go through until dinner without eating but other days that hunger just won’t go away. In winter I was having a miso soup but in summer I like to have cucumber and cherry tomatoes, or celery and cucumber, or this cabbage salad which is so low calorie but very filling. The whole salad is 63 calories.

I find it interesting about our psychological reactions to food and diets (and other things). I totally understand why other diets don’t work for me. As soon as I am ‘deprived’ of something I want it so much more. That’s why 5:2 works. I remind myself that I can have that food tomorrow if I still want it and funnily I hardly ever do.

Anzac, that is a beautiful poem. Where I live, in the Sierra foothills, the summers are very hot and dry, and the winters are cool and hopefully rainy. But we had a 4 year drought a few years ago and because of all the evergreen and tall Oak trees, fire is a danger, just like in Australia. What you call bush fires, we call wildfires. We don’t have the warm tropical beaches on the Northern California coasts like you do there. We have to go down to Southern California to enjoy warm water at the beach.

Quacka, that is the first time I’ve heard the term “tucker bag” here. And it makes me think of the song, Waltzing Matilda. 😊 When I was in 2nd or 3rd grade in elementary school and we would have music class. Our teacher would pick out songs with one finger on the piano for us to sing along. She wasn’t really much of a piano player. 😏 But there was one song she could play very well, with both hands, notes and chords together, and that was Waltzing Matilda. The class loved that song, even the boys who didn’t like to sing, sang along enthusiastically! We belted it out so you could hear us all over the school, and very soon we knew every word. We requested it for every music class. And of course we soon were asking what a swagman, jumbuck, billabong, coolibah tree and tucker bag were. So it was a teaching moment as well. I bet that was the only song where everyone in that class still remembers every word. 😁 It still makes me smile every time I hear it.

Cali, I think everyone here knows all the words to Waltzing Matilda too – which is more than I can say for our national anthem. Most of us know the first verse and that’s about it.

Quacka, my appetite is the same. Getting through the morning without food is easy. Even skipping lunch is fine if there aren’t aromas or others eating to tempt me and mid afternoon my appetite kicks in and demands food. Like you I plan a snack for mid-afternoon and a reasonable dinner on a FD.

Anzac, I used to eat bread more on NFDs than I do now. I try to mix up my grain sources a bit more so that it not always the easy option of bread.

The build-a-bear workshop went well. The little kids wanted lots of clothes and accessories – as I’d expected. But we managed to restrain them to one outfit each. It was an expensive exercise, but we had fun. This is just over $300 worth of bears: https://imgur.com/a/VRIjGHq The tatty grey one on the far left is mine – his name is Rufus. We all declined putting a noise inside our bears but all wanted a scent – I chose a scent called “vanilla cupcake”. I’d better not cuddle him on a FD, he’ll make me hungry for baking.

Hi guys, I can join team Australia’s group of clumsies, now unfortunately!
    I have just got back from the emergency of the local hospital with my forearm in plaster ! Yesterday (Sunday) was spent recovering, fasting, doing the final clean up , put away aftermath from our ABBA karaoke party (which was hilarious). I was feeling a bit off Sunday night, which could have eating and drinking the night before or the extreme hot weather (even though our house is air conditioned ). I pulled all the covers off the bed and lay down with my book and left hub watching tv in another room. I suddenly felt nauseous, so jumped up quickly in attempt to get to the en-suite in time before being sick. I tripped over the bedding, hit my head and tried to stop myself from falling by putting out my wrist . Hub came rushing in with a bucket to find me on the floor with blood gushing from a gash on my head. Very dramatic ! Hub and I sat up and waited and iced everything to make sure I wasn’t concussed andI decided to see how I pulled up after a nights sleep. This morning, my wrist was looking decidedly odd, swollen and angry and was agony, so off to hospital we went. After the X-ray the dr said the bad news is it is fractured in two places, the good news is you don’t need an operation. Also it is my left hand and I am right handed. It’s hard enough doing things with 1 hand but if I had to do it with my non dominant left hand, it would be very difficult. I now am going to attempt to make a Mexican salad to take to tonight’s barbecue at a friend’s house with 1 hand !!!!

Rosy, ouch! That sounds very painful, both your head and your wrist. Does it hurt a lot? I think we can call off the competition now! You guys won, and I don’t want any more injuries to prove it! 😮 You certainly are a determined lot! Sheesh! 😁

LJoyce, those bears are so cute! It sounds like a fun afternoon and an entertaining thing to do with kids. How much of the building did you have to do? Was there any sewing involved? That one on the end must be an outback bear or something. We don’t have any bears that look like that over here. 😁 (But he sure is cute!)

Oh Rosy, you poor thing. I guess you can be grateful for small mercies, that it was your left arm and that you avoided concussion. Time to take it easy. Get better soon.

Oh no Rosy! I can’t believe it! I’m so sorry, that must be equal parts very painful and very frustrating. Is your head ok? I hope you heal quickly 🙁

It’s contagious, we were out the front saying goodbye to the last of our guests on Saturday night when Maxx decided there was something exciting down the street and took off. Hubby had him on the lead but was unprepared and ended up face-planting the footpath. He has grazed elbows and knees and a badly bruised heel. Bless him, he didn’t let go of the dog.

This is getting a bit scary. Could everyone PLEASE wrap themselves in cotton wool and take care?? My ankle, from being bombed by Maxx and his friend Margot, is only just healed so I will be doing the same.

On a less scary note, I LOVE your bears LJ, they look incredibly professional and so cuddly.

Oh dear! Sorry to hear of your mishaps Rosy and Mr Anzac. There is definitely something in the air. I am sitting here at work in my thongs and I am trying my hardest not to do any more damage!

What a lovely story about Waltzing Matilda, Cali. Your story made me smile, a good bit of patriotism coming through in me. Interesting how we don’t know the whole National Anthem, LJ. I think that is a product of our schooling. I’m pretty sure we were given the sheet that had the whole anthem on it, but we only ever sang the first verse. I admit I am one of those that don’t know it all. Well, the anthem that is 😉 ;). Ha ha

Those bears are awesome LJ!

Well, I have just eaten my 63 calorie salad. It is really quite filling, I think because of all the chewing for the cabbage (I do shred it up quite finely). I dressed it with some soy sauce and apple cider vinegar as that is what is already there in our little kitchenette. I’m having spaghetti bologanise with zoodles for dinner. Really looking forward to that. Bye for now

Quacka, I’m showing my age here. When I was at school we were still singing “God Save the Queen” at assemblies. Our current anthem wasn’t brought in until the mid-80s. I finished school in the late 70s and had no good reason to learn the new one – not at school and not an olympian – nobody else ever seemed to sing it!

Anzac, commiserations to your hubby – and well done for keeping hold of that lead – he’s lucky Maxx didn’t drag him down the footpath!
    I agree – time to bring out the cotton wool, the accidents are coming a bit too thick and fast!

Cali – I think your teacher must have known you had a hankering to be Australian! I’m glad you know Waltzing Matilda.
    There is very little “building” involved with the bears. They are mostly made up already – they just require stuffing and then the back has to been sewn up. We helped with the stuffing but the staff do the sewing. You put a heart inside them, and a noise maker (if you want to pay for one) and a scented disc (again if you want to pay for one). None of us wanted noise but we all wanted scents. Most of the time is taken up looking through the vast array of clothing and accessories. The 5yo wanted lots of clothes for her bear and the 7yo wanted all the accessories (skateboard, light saber, batmobile …I kid you not). We managed to restrain them so that it didn’t blow my budget completely out of the water (no he didn’t get the batmobile – I convinced him it was just a display prop that he couldn’t buy!). I chose not to dress mine (partly to save money) but also as the only things I could imagine on him was either a waistcoat or perhaps a big colourful ribbon, and they didn’t have either of those. I can always find a ribbon elsewhere. My favourite was the one my niece put together – she named him Ted, but I’ve started calling him Farmer Fred (yes he’s the one in overalls and an akubra).
    My nephew’s wife just sent me a photo of her kids sitting on the lounge watching tv with their arms wrapped around their new soft toys. She said they haven’t let them go since they got home. https://imgur.com/4ND8nrI Although I notice my great niece has already removed all of her bear’s clothing!

I forgot to mention earlier that I found a Mexican place where I got a chicken chipotle salad for lunch – it was only just ok but at least it was light on calories.
    Dinner for me is zucchini stuffed with a mixture of minced chicken, chorizo and veg. Just have to reheat it.

Good evening people,
    I thought I was too tired to write this evening, but you’ve got me all enthusiastic to tell you my bread story. Yes, I know it might make you want to reach through the screen and throttle me, but what can I say? YOU STARTED IT!

I made lunch for my granddaughters (and a few adults) today. Their oven is broken so I thought to make pizza for them, in roll form. I started the bread yesterday, flour, 1/4 tsp yeast, water and a pinch of salt. Added an egg and oats to make it soft, sesame seeds and wheat bran for flavour and fibre. It had a fourteen hour rise.

It looked wonderful this morning, I rolled it out as thin as I could, and added the flavourings. According to their tastes it contained tomato (snuck some red capsicum and thyme in) sauce, ham, pineapple and cheese. I snuck chopped chives in too, and one end had olives instead of pineapple. I rolled it up, sliced it and set the coils to rise. Then I baked them . They had cooled to take but still soft and fresh and beautiful and tasty. I also took a huge salad.

Mmm yum, and the slow rise allows the yeast to eat lots of the sugars in the flour, and the oats, seeds and bran make it slower to digest, so I don’t expect to have repercussions (even though I ate three), (apart from not quite getting all my veggie serves in today). Ooh, you want a picture? Well I have one left. Here you go: https://imgur.com/a/pIR601B

Oh, this is actually a forum about 5:2 you say? Ok I’ll talk 5:2 and respond to other people’s posts next time! Good night!

Steady Rosy – take it easy until that wrist has mended, which will be difficult because we are naturally inclined to take things in both hands

The National Anthem was played at the start of the competition I was at on Saturday. The same applies here – most of the population, including me, only know the first verse.

Bread. Talk of bread when I am just starting a two day b2b fluid fast to shift the two pounds I gained over the weekend is unkind. When I was a child we were not financially well off and I am old enough for that to have been during the post war food rationing, which lasted for years. Consequently we ate a lot of bread to fill us up. For me it remains an important food source, but I almost never buy it. I make my own, sourdough or yeast, in large batches then freeze it. Popping it into the oven for a couple of minutes returns it to the fresh, crusty condition. With that thought irretrievably lodged in my mind I now start a fasting day!

Cinque, our posts crossed. I also make pizza. Now I have two thoughts stuck in my mind.

Oh my goodness, you two! 😉

Cinque, your pizza scrolls sound and look delicious.

Penguin, think lean thoughts. No more bread discussion tonight I promise.
    I’m showing my ignorance – I didn’t even realise “God Save the Queen” had a second verse!

LJ, There are actually six verses, but some of them are these days considered too imperialist to be heard and one encourages, by name, a general who lived about 300 years ago to destroy the enemy of the day.

Since my 8.36 am post, 1.2 tonnes of beech and oak off-cuts from a local sawmill have been delivered to the front of the house, moved under cover by hand and neatly stacked. I burn three such deliveries every winter. Four of the pallets on which they come will, when stood on end and screwed together, make a compost heap holder which will last for about three years. After that activity I am permitting myself some milk in my coffee.

Penguin, after all that wood carrying I thing you’ve earned that milky coffee.
    When I lived in the Adelaide Hills, I also went through about 4 tonnes of wood each year from mid-autumn to mid-spring. Where I live now that is neither required nor possible. I just turn on the ducted air-conditioning and it produces heating or cooling as required – and at a surprisingly lower cost than the firewood.

Well, back after a few difficult days. Yes, loved going to the tennis, but some difficulties with stairs due to a pulled muscle – then I was bitten by something out in the garden Thursday evening, so have had an inflamed ankle. Got the doc to check it today – we agreed it looks as if it’s getting a bit better, so it’s just on “watch”. Not sure what bit me – not a mozzie bite, so possibly a spider or an unknown insect. So, does that qualify me for team Australia clumsies???? 🙂

LJoyce, I agree, it would be better to avoid knee replacement surgery, especially of my right knee that was injured in China. It is permanently swollen, but at least has worked okay up till recently.

Penguin, great that your Robin is back. I think some milk is fine for a fluid fast. It is just if you’re trying to do TRE – time restricted eating – then any calories outside of the eating time are not okay. I’m coming to the realisation that TRE does not suit me, and need to go back to straight 5:2 with no “frills”. I did great in December on it, but since I’ve added TRE I feel “off” all the time, and my eating has simply gone out of control. I need the few calories more often.

Rosy Posy and Anzac65, great that your parites went well – Rosy Posy, so glad you fitted into the ABBA costume, but so sorry to read of your fall, cracked head and broken wrist. Not good!

fasting_me, yes, it does stay hot at night sometimes during a heatwave, so I just leave the AC on all night in my bedroom. Otherwise I just don’t sleep. Fortunately it’s a small AC and not facing anyone’s homes so no-one has objected.

thinatlast, good to read that you also found your knee pain went with the weight loss. All encouraging stories. Re spelling – I just remember that we use an “s” here instead of the US “z”, and they often use the “c” for the verb and the “s” for the noun, while we don’t e.g., driver’s license is American English; we use driver’s licence, etc.

Cinque, yes, loving the tennis. Sorry to see Roger Federer beaten last night, great match with Serena Williams this evening, and currently watching Djokovic playing Medvedev.

LJoyce, I’m obviously of your era (or maybe a little earlier) – we always sang “God save the Queen” at school assemblies (first verse only), and I’ve never learned more than the first verse of the Aussie national anthem either.

Well, wish me luck everyone. After a couple of abysmal eating days, tomorrow is the start of 5:2 yet again, but without TRE as a component.

Betsylee. I suppose I am doing a form of TRE. I normally have no solids between 7pm and noon on any day This I combine with 5:2. Originally TRE and fluid only fasts were for health benefits and I persuaded myself that the calories in the milk I take in my drinks were negligible. Now I just like the feeling of wellbeing they produce and I have no desire for breakfast. .

Final bread comment. OH, who does the 500 cal version, decided that for lunch she would have soup and with it she would toast a slice of my sourdough. I know of no way of remaining in the house and escaping the smell of toast.

Good morning,
    A safe post this time Penguin, you can read with confidence.
    That synchro skating competition must have been wonderful watch, and great fun for your gd to be in.

LJoyce the new Mollie Katzen book looks wonderful, and so do a few of others I haven’t seen before. Ha re the zucchini squeezing.
    Congrats being at 75kg. I love the way you look after yourself.

Thin, I love what you wrote too.
    Sometimes 5:2 starts feeling a bit onerous to me, but not only does a bit of a think put it in perspective, but I can usually change things to make it easier for that day or week.

At the moment I am realising I have things on both this week’s regular fast days! I can do Saturday instead of Sunday, and I think I will do today instead of tomorrow. I am making black eyed bean, silverbeet and sweet potato soup, so I can have a bowl of that instead of my miso soup.
    Decision made.

My lettuces have survived another day. It is lovely to go out in the morning and pick leaves from them ready for the days salad. In a couple of weeks, if I’m lucky.

Talking of being lucky, I am moving very gingerly to avoid one of those accidents that are going around. Oh and even Mr Anzac has joined in! I do hope you are all feeling better today. Anzac and Kanga, I hope you are both improving nicely. Rosy Posy what a fright and how frustrating. I hope the pain has settled. Betsy, hopefully being home means there are no stairs to exacerbate your pulled muscle now, and it will get a chance to heal, and that your ankle bite settles down.

Haha Cali, we showed you! 🙂
    Glad your miserable weekend is over, I hope it is a good week starting.
    They (the authorities) are retraining us to call our bushfires wildfires. It is more appropriate, they don’t just keep to the bush. But old habits die hard.
    What a special connection your childhood learning of Waltzing Matilda is!

3pm is my hungry time too, on fast days, Quacka. Well, 2pm – 6 pm actually! It comes in waves, but such big ones!

LJoyce, what a lovely row of teddy bears! (And your one is my favourite).

Off to give my garden a morning water.

Intesha, how was your weekend?
    Thinking of you Merry, sending good wishes.

Best wishes to everyone.

Good morning, sunny and 30 today in Sydney. 7.40am

I hope the bread aroma wasn’t too agonizing Penguin. Well done with the wood stacking, many calories would have been burnt with that effort.

Betsylee – you too? Hope your pulled muscle and bitten foot heal quickly. Glad you are enjoying the tennis, we are too. We don’t normally watch it much but I really have enjoyed watching the Ash Barty game and the Federer game (until it was my bed time) on Sunday and the Serena game last night

Cinque, your pizza scroll looks and sounds amazing! Yes I did want to jump through the screen, but not to throttle you but instead to steal it! Lucky for you it is a FD so I didn’t do it 🙂

LJ I remember singing God Save the Queen in primary school too. I finished high school (year 10) in the early 80’s and I also remember the vote for the new anthem. We wanted Waltzing Matilda! But it wasn’t really an appropriate song for an anthem I guess.

Glad you had a great FD Quacka. Hope mine goes well today too. I have some meetings this morning so hopefully my tummy won’t be singing again!

Have a great day, I will be lurking and posting as always 🙂

8am, Tuesday, Adelaide

I’m continuing with my plan for mostly CDs this week. It will be very necessary as I have lunches out on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday is an Australia Day lunch that one of my neighbour’s has invited me to. (I offered to bring a pavlova – seemed like an appropriate choice).

Penguin, I’ve always though that the fact that you and your wife both fast was helpful, but maybe not when you don’t both consume solids. I agree that the aroma of toast is so tempting.

Betsy, it’s sounding like we all deserve the clumsy logo! I hope that pulled muscle heals soon. Glad you enjoyed the tennis.
    With joint replacements it’s good to delay them if you can and weight loss usually helps with that. But when they become absolutely necessary it really does improve your mobility as long as you do a good job with the post-op rehab. I delayed having my right knee replaced for 7 years, but for the last 2 of those years I was hobbling around with a walking stick and was fairly unstable without the stick. Since I had the surgery and did the rehab I’ve been much more mobile and definitely have no need of a walking stick any longer. I wanted to delay my surgery for a couple of reasons. When told I needed a TKR I was only in my mid 40s and I know these replacement joints only have a 15-20 year life (and the heavier you are the shorter the lifespan). I was morbidly obese at the time and knew that I was unlikely to get a good surgery result at that weight and would struggle to do the rehab properly unless I lost weight. I used the surgery as a motivator to lose weight when I did – and in the process the weight loss helped me delay the surgery as long as I did. My knee joint was beyond saving though and I knew it would have to be done some sometime. I’m not sorry that I delayed it and I’m also not sorry that I had the surgery in the end.

Anzac and Cinque, I hope you both have good FDs.
    Cinque, I like the sound of that soup.

I’m planning to go to the gym this morning as it’s too hot for walking.
    Have a good day everyone.

Good morning everyone

Sorry to hear about your bad run too Betsy. Hope you get better quickly! Those unknown bites can be hard to treat and sometimes all you can do is to just wait until it heals itself. I’ve had one of those before and unfortunately I was on holidays at the time.

I had a successful FD yesterday although my scales are not really showing it. Not worried, it will happen when it happens. All the best to those on a FD today – Cinque, Anzac and I think Kanga maybe as well. I will be checking back in later. Have a great day 🙂

Betsylee. It is nearly nine years since OH had a knee replaced. It was the complete replacement, both ends, upper and lower. She now walks several miles most afternoons and on holiday will do more. The only problem is that every time we fly anywhere she sets off the metal detectors. Surgery should certainly be postponed until unavoidable, but the knee job can work well.

Viewing 50 posts - 19,151 through 19,200 (of 27,961 total)

You must be logged in to reply.