Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,917 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 2 days, 13 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 17,251 through 17,300 (of 28,021 total)

• LJ, your dining table, chairs and cupboards look stunning. What a great choice on that table and chairs! The paper pattern on the cupboards ties it all together perfectly. Another good choice. It goes so well with the table and chars. Your pantry items look just like mine with all the tea, flours and crackers and beans and all in the plastic containers. So many of the same items. The 26cm depth is perfect for pantry items. Lots of shelves and you can see everything. I have some deep shelves in our pantry and it’s so difficult to find things that get pushed to the back. That depth may be trickier for some kitchen items that take up a lot of space. But you also Kaveri kitchen cabinets that can hold the wider things. The other 2 padded chairs are for the veranda?

Quacker, that is so disappointing that the races are cancelled. They can’t plan them again for later when it isn’t raining? There must be some place where you could wear your new clothes. After all the shopping to find them.

Cinque, thank you for the lovely virtual flowers! Such a nice thought. It sounds like you’re going to be busy preparing all those veggies. I get carried away with veggies at farmers markets here in the summer and then have to scramble to find ways to use them all. A big minestrone is always nice, and good for FD meals.

LJ, I just had one eye done and the other will be in Nov. My vision has been getting even better throughout today. The TV looks so much sharper. And I can see clocks and small pictures across the room in detail, even in dimmer lights. I didn’t realize how bad my vision had become over the past year or so.

I ended up doing my second FD today even though I didn’t eat anything for the first half of yesterday. DS had a luncheon yesterday at work so she was doing today instead so I switched mine too. She’s sticking with 5:2 and only has a couple kg to go.

Thanks everyone for your commiserations. My sil and I are now planning to go to the local races for Melbourne cup day. Who knows…. we may manage to break the drought again that day…..

Quacka, I won’t be praying for rain on Melbourne cup day – you deserve break. And a chance to wear your new clothes.

Cali, Glad to hear that your sight is already improving. Hopefully you won’t be as nervous in November when you have the other eye done.
    There is enough room at the end of the dining room (opposite the new built-ins)for the 2 extra chairs to sit either side of a small cabinet when not in use. With the family all here I need to seat 12-14 people so having 10 dining chairs means I won’t have to drag in too many outdoor chairs. In fact my entertaining seems to work in extremes. It’s me and 1-2 friends using the lounge or dining room, or it’s 12-14 family members. There isn’t often anything in between.
    One thing I did notice, once all the furniture was in place, was the lack of artwork on the walls. I’ll need to sort that out soon, as they look so bare to me now. Thankfully my niece’s husband took me to the local hardware and showed me all various fixtures that will work on my plaster board walls (without needing to locate the timber behind it). It was really helpful, because I now have some confidence that I can hang pictures so they won’t fall off the wall.

I’m actually quite impressed with how well such cheap furniture has turned out. The built-ins are 2m x 2m and cost $760 (including some extra fittings and the wallpaper). The dining table was only $285 and the 10 padded chairs $650. I feel really pleased with these purchases. They meet my needs without breaking the bank.

My controlled day has gone really well and I’ve eaten very little today. I’m having 4 turkey breast nuggets and salad for dinner. I was going to open the kippers, but I have to eat it ll within 3 days once opened and I expect there to be a lot of leftovers from tomorrow night. I should deal with those before starting new food.

Hope everyone else is having a good day.

Yesterday’s DD was a success. 60.1 down to 59.1 after 490 calories for the day. That’s what I love about 5:2. Now I need to concentrate on eating mindfully today. I’d like to get that down to 58.

LJ, the padded chairs were $650 for all 10? That’s amazing. I would have guessed each would be over $200, even at IKEA. They look very rich. The whole thing is elegant. So you ended up getting 10 of the blue ones like those in the picture? I’m glad to hear that. Our table, purchased years ago second hand, came with only 6, but the table with leaves will seat 10. I always wish we had at least 8 chairs but the dining room isn’t long enough to accommodate both leaves easily and it’s difficult to get around the ends when we have both leaves in. One side of the room is open to the living room so it’s visually large, but actually not. I just love your dining set-up. It will be so perfect for entertaining.
    I agree that your dining area needs some pictures on that big wall. Don’t overlook Ikea for pictures. We found this one a few years ago for a smallish extra room we had upstairs that we turned into the “Zen Room”, a room for meditation or listening to music. DS is the only one who meditates. I really need to master that skill!
    https://imgur.com/a/j0oTVns I fell in love with the picture the first time I saw it. It’s fabric stretched over a frame. OH and DS thought the picture would be too big in that room, but once hung, they agreed with me. (Notice the Ikea chair below it and the Ikea potted orchid behind it. There’s an Ikea TV stand with drawers on the opposite side of the room.)

I have a standard vision chart here that I bought from Amazon several months ago when I was trying to decide when to have the cataract surgery. This morning my vision out of that eye is 20/20 and I can read many of the letters in the 20/15 row below it. Yesterday it was 20/25 so it seems to have settled after only 2 days. I’m relieved and delighted.

Quacka, so happy to hear that you and SIL are planning to go to the Melbourne Cup. If it should rain that day you can hire out as a rainmaker! 😁 A good occupation in a land of summer droughts!

Good morning,
    Lovely Sunday Fast Day for me.

LJoyce, what great work and your place looks both comfortable and elegant. How did you manage that? Good luck with cooking for that family dinner party today. A lovely family housewarming, and then you will be pretty well ready for our virtual house warming!

I really love such usable shelves!
    And what a pleasure to be looking for some art works!

Cali, so happy to hear your news that vision in your eye has been getting sharper over the day. How lovely.
    What an amazing picture you found, and just perfect for a meditation room!

Quacka, Yes! Melbourne Cup Spring Carnival! OH has just got time to grow his hair out 😉
    I wish you were actually coming to Melbourne, and we could meet up for a cuppa 🙂 .

Well, I made dolmas again yesterday (Turkish recipe so they are dolmas, not dolmades) and they are more sausage like than last time, and delicious. I am going to make up a couple of meals with them ( and with tahini sauce and a cauliflower and roasted red pepper salad) for a couple of friends who could do with a meal dropped off. And I am making my kvass today, I have the yoghurt whey ready and boiled water to be safe, so just waiting for it to cool.

I’ve got fresh mushrooms for my miso soup so just thawing tofu, and I’ll have broccoli and carrot too.

Miso the cat waited reproachfully until 6pm last night for me to feed her. Several hours of reproachfulness, but we both made it through.

Cheers to everyone and best wishes for a good day.

Morning losers,

Good job with the dining room LJ. Did you see the IKEA cartoon I sent you? I guess it’s an oldie but it made me think of you. I haven’t opened my kippers yet either. I’ll be the only one eating them so I need to plan it.

Yesterday, I made an industrial quantity of cauliflower soup and froze it into FD portions. Today, I’ll make a final batch of bacon & chicken casserole and freeze the leftover portions for future FDs. I love having the FDs organised ahead of time.

CalifD, you made me smile when I read about the eye chart coming from Amazon. Is there anything they don’t have? It sounds like your surgery has been a great success. And your weight is perfect too. Smiles all round.

It’s a FD for me of course. You too Cinque, just like the old days! We went out with friends last night and I was sweating it as they’d chosen Italian, my least favourite of the restaurant dilemmas, and I couldn’t find an on-line menu. It turned out to be extensive and I must have made a good choice as I’m the same weight this morning as yesterday which is 100gms less than my last FD. No complaints here.

P.S. Hello Cinque. The training of Miso is working. As is the sign on her collar apparently.

Good morning SHs, hope you have nice plans for Sunday. I’ll be cooking as I have 12 for dinner tonight.

Cali, that is rapid improvement, hopefully you will return to excellent vision.
    I think you are right about that canvas too. It’s such a restful scene that the size isn’t too large. I’ve actually seen this one at Ikea – I thought it was ingenious to sell the frame and canvas separately so people could get them home in a car.
    I have one existing picture that I could hang in the dining area although I am also considering some of the Ikea pictures too.

Padded dining chairs normally cost $200+ here too. The Ikea chairs were the only affordable option. The reason that the chairs were so cheap when I bought mine, was because they were changing manufacturers for the chairs, so they heavily discounted the old stock to move it quickly. It brought the total cost of the chairs down from $850 to 650. The base chair is normally $60 and then you need to buy a cover to put on it – they cost $15-95 (from basic fabrics to leather). The textured fabric covers that I bought were $25 each. This photo shows the texture of the fabric closeup https://imgur.com/zjk5U80 The fabric is a weave of dark aqua and navy threads. If you stand back your eyes blend the two colours and they look like teal blue. I like the fabric it feels heavy duty and durable, not like some of the thinner cotton chair covers that Ikea also sell. I wasn’t averse to leather covers, but black was the only colour choice.

This is my third NFD in a row, but I think my body feels like it fasted yesterday as I had a low cal controlled NFD. I even ate cereal for breakfast – not often I feel like that at 8:30am.

I hope the Sunday fasters have a good good day, I’m delaying my FD until tomorrow.

Thin, Amazon has just about everything. 😉 With Prime shipping most things are here in 2 days. Miso does have that sign on her collar but she could have made a side deal with the neighbors if she gave them the “poor starving kitty” look 👀. Cinque, has she had a weigh in yet? 😁

Cinque, the Melbourne Cup doesn’t take place in Melbourne? Sounds like you’re on a roll with the dolmas. You’re making me hungry. I’m going to have to do a batch soon. I use either rice with lemon juice and herbs and spices, or add some minced lamb to that. I buy the grape leaves in a jar.

As usual everyone else posts while I’m writing. Good morning Cinque and Thin, your posts weren’t there when I started typing. I got distracted along the way by cups of tea and cereal.

Cinque, you are going to have to find non-food ways to let Miso know she’s still loved. Sounds like she’s less than impressed by the “no snacking” regime.
    Are you going to publish your recipe for Dolmas.

Thin, yes I did see the cartoon and had a chuckle. I told the family members who arrived to help on Friday about the “build your own chair if your want dinner” suggestion. They agreed with me that the teenagers in the family would be more concerned about food than good workmanship.
    I understand the fear of Italian restaurants, especially as most things seem to contain all the white starchy carbs you try to avoid. The fancier Italian restaurants usually have some mains that are ok (veal & chicken mostly). The cafe that I go to regularly doesn’t have things like that, but it has minestrone and a couple of salads on the menu so I don’t mind going there regularly.

Enjoy your FD today you two. I’ll probably be back to a Sunday fast next weekend.

LJ, I think your fabric choice for the chairs is perfect. I love teal. Have a wonderful time with your big dinner tonight.

All of the Sunday faster, have a good FD.

It’s still Saturday and movie and pizza night here. Mindful pizza consumption. 😁 I haven’t eaten too much during the day today. I’m really looking forward to watching whatever movie we end up watching and being able to see it clearly for a change. That cataract had gotten pretty bad over the last year.

Monday morning,
    And yes, your breakfast loving SH is having adai. Again. Oh but they are yummy, and a great way to start a day. Especially after a Fast Day. And this is the last of the mixture.

A good Fast Day yesterday, I even managed to get a few things done. But, on the down side, that just uncovered more things to be done.

Miso did well again. I think you might be right, Thin, and the collar message is working. I should have done it years ago.

Congratulations on such a successful visit to an Italian restaurant!

Cali, you are right that Miso is quite capable of undermining a written request, with her sad, golden eyes telling people she is starving. Her fat tummy does indicate otherwise, and the nice feeding person must be made of excellent stern stuff, it does seem!

(Her fat tummy is my fault because I believed her when she said she was extra hungry, when the winter cold hit us. I fall for it every year. She is losing it, but maybe that will melt the heart of the excellent stern feeding person? Eep!)

Ha, re the non food rewards LJoyce, she is a master at exploiting them all, especially getting me to sit still for much longer than I want to, because I am a warm comfortable cushion for her to sleep on, and she doesn’t want me to move. Or make a sound. Definitely not reach for something.

Or giving her a huge bowl of water that sits in the bathtub, because she has told me, very clearly, that it is how she prefers to drink.

(I’ve been had! 😉 )

LJoyce, how are you after your big family dinner?
    Enjoy your fast day today. It seems like life is just getting so beautifully ordered again for you, in your home and with your eating rhythms.
    I am aiming for that here!

Cali, I hope pizza and movie were great fun, with your clear eye and your mindful consumption!

Well, I am on to my last adai, and there is still mixture over! I might have the last couple with soup for my evening meal.

Guess who just got on my knee when I am about ready to get up?

Ooo she is so soft and happy though…

Cheers everyone, hoping a 4 legged creature isn’t undermining your day too badly!

Happy fasting or non fasting. Eat real food, not too much, mostly plants!

Hello Cinque, here’s your postFD non-breakfast eating SH enjoying a very hot, frothy coffee. I, too, had a marvellous FD, the chicken & bacon casserole was so delicious that I can hardly wait for Wednesday’s FD so I can finish it.

It was a glorious warm, sunny 22C so, after a good walk with OH at a different part of the river, I did some gardening until I could no longer bear the squawkers on the trampoline next door and retreated inside with doors shut to pursue some indoor activities until they tired of it. For some reason, the tenants have cut down the tall, dense bushes that separated us so we now have to see the bouncing little noise machines as well as hear them.

Our not-so-furry four-legged critters are coming out of semi-hibernation and some of them enjoyed a stretch on the front lawn in the warm sun with a fast-breaking scrambled egg. Psycho was too grumpy to join in. I began to think she was right when other nearby neighbours thought it would be a good idea to let their 8 and 6 year old grandsons play with their blower in their front garden for the two hours that their parents were visiting. What a senseless, unsociable tool! And one that I believe should be outlawed (as their proud owners noisily blow their leaves from their property onto everyone else’s). Get sweeping, you lazy neighbours!

Now it’s raining again so we can enjoy the restored peace. Time for a second coffee.

Good morning SHs,
    Hope you all had a nice weekend and that Penguin and Cali are enjoying the last of theirs.

Dinner went well, but as usual I feel quite tired today. The dining table was just big enough for all of us, I think any more than 12 would involve a lot of clashing elbows but the fact that I can even seat that many is excellent.
    When I think of how much food I cooked there was remarkably little left over. I was also interested to see what was left. From the dip platter all of the yoghurt raita and raw veggie sticks were eaten but some cheese and crackers remained. From the main meal, there was a little of the two meat casseroles left. A bit of veg remained, but all the beans, broccoli and carrots were gone, there is some potato mash and sweet potato casserole left. None of the berry fruit salad was left, but half of the chocolate fudge cake remained. It’s a credit to my niece and nephew that they’ve raised their kids to be such good fruit & veg eaters. Actually it’s a credit to my sister as well, to as she instilled that in my niece and nephew when they were growing up.

All of the leftover chocolate fudge cake went home with family members and also the leftover casseroles. I kept the remaining veg as I can use that over the next few days, although I’ll have to cook some more greens to go with it!

Cali, I hope you thoroughly enjoyed pizza night. Actually I think knowing that your FDs will take care of those calories probably makes it easy to enjoy those pizza slices – and it’s nice to have family traditions that you enjoy.

Cinque, you really have become addicted to adai. After reading your description of Miso’s routine it looks like she has you well trained. No wonder she can’t understand why her usual methods of persuasion aren’t working for afternoon snacks.

Thin, sounds like your NFD is off to a good start too. I love the mental picture of your little lizards waking up from their winter hibernation. I bet first feel of sun on their backs is glorious for them.
    You lovely Sunday weather has arrived here in Adelaide today. I’m going for a walk shortly – I love the days when I can walk without a jacket.

I’m fasting today. I’ll do something with leftover veg from last night for dinner. Either have some of the veg with some added greens and a poached eggs, or I might make the leftover sweet potato casserole into a soup – it definitely needs lemon as it tastes incredibly sweet to my palate.

Have a nice day everyone.

Gosh, what a quiet day here! LJ, you were having a lonely FD for a Monday!

Glad to hear your meal was a big success, LJ, lucky rellies going home with leftovers. I’ve had a good NFD – minimal eating and eggplant rollups for dinner (with leftovers, hurray). DD asked if I could please consider only serving vegetarian meals this week as there are several visits to abattoirs scheduled. Most are quite a distance south but who’d have thought there’s a chicken abattoir right in Perth slaughtering 90,000 chickens per day?

The young boys next door redeemed themselves this evening when they rang the bell and, in well-rehearsed speeches, explained that they lived next door, apologised for accidentally kicking their ball over the wall yesterday and asked if they could please go and retrieve it. I knew who they were and what they wanted but I let them say it all anyway – it was really lovely to hear such well-mannered children. I can remember our parents making us do the same back in the day and we’d have been really scared. Usually we do just lob whatever has landed on our side back over the fence but I hadn’t felt like rewarding them for the noise yesterday! I know the noise will get to us all summer but this sort of thing goes a long way to making me less irritated about it.

Hi Thin, it was a quiet day on the SH front.
    I had a busy day with some errands and housework.
    Glad to hear the the boys next door have behaved well enough to mollify you somewhat. The only silver lining in this one that I can see, is that it’s better for their health to be playing outside than stuck indoors looking at a screen all day. Unfortunately I don’t think kids know what playing quietly means. Having fun seems to always involve yelling and screaming.
    I don’t blame your daughter for wanting to avoid meat if she has to spend a week watching animals be killed and butchered. How will your husband cope with veggie meals (or is he away at present)?

I finished my FD uncertain of whether I actually stayed under 500 cal. Because I constructed a meal from leftovers. My best guess is that I’m probably in the 5-600 range. I can accept that, but I think I’ll make sure I have at least one controlled NFD in addition to the second FD, just to keep everything in balance. My tightest jeans fit comfortably at present and I really don’t want to jeopardise that.

Last night my new built-ins impressed my nephew’s wife so much she asked for all the details, as she wants to do something similar in their dining room.

The whole family is coming back again for diner in a fortnight as my sister and brother-in-law are staying with me for a couple of days. My great-niece has already requested lasagne. As it’s something I can make a day ahead and serve with a big salad I don’t mind, it’s a good meal for feeding a crowd.

I’m hoping to get to the gym tomorrow morning. It’s been a week so it’s overdue.

Goodnight all, talk to you tomorrow.

Good morning everyone

FD went very well yesterday. I had planned to do separate FDs this week but now I am doing a B2B. I will be working with the bosses tomorrow and we are going to be doing about 7 hours of driving. They have already mentioned two coffee breaks and the cafe where they usually eat lunch is amazing, so I want to be on a NFD. This cafe serves the yummiest healthy foods as well as burgers and sandwiches etc but I always choose the healthy options as they make them sounds sooooooo yummy!
    Last time I had a ‘wellness’ bowl. It had smoked salmon, pickled red cabbage, avocado, and a few other things I can’t quite remember. Maybe some brown rice or quinoa and cherry tomatoes and cucumber. I felt so good after eating it.

Last night I had a very light dinner of just a tiny piece of steak and salad. I was still quite hungry after dinner so I went to make a cup of tea. I got my almond milk out and it was actually vanilla flavoured. I wasnt too sure how that would go in my tea but I had no other milk so I tried it. It was actually quite nice in the tea. I also drank a couple of mouthfuls just straight and it was yummy like that too.

Im going to get out of bed now and clean the house a bit before work. We are going camping on Thursday for four days so I won’t be here to clean this weekend.

I hope you all have a lovely day and I hope I can get through this FD ok.
    Take care all x

Good morning everyone,
    Good luck today Quacka, you’ve definitely got the pleasures of tomorrow to help get you through today! ‘Wellness bowl’ is a great name (I’ve heard Buddha Bowls and Poki bowls and the like).

My daughter has some teabags that have the vanilla already in them! I quite like them.

I’m busy working through the huge lot of veggies I bought. I made eggplant dip and spicy cabbage and carrot, roasted the red capsicum and made the dolmas ofcourse. Today I am going Sri Lankan to make cauliflower and and pea curry. Then I need to check out what needs to be cooked next, and get onto it quickly! Maybe a wellness bowl!

Thin, isn’t it lovely to be looking forward to the next Fast Day food!
    Hello to the lizards, and the longer days. And to the boys from next door. So sweet to hear about their well rehearsed speech.

I am lucky that I like the sounds of kids voices playing, love it when they are happy, and quite grateful for the noise when I am (was) working inside as it means you have a handle on what they are up to, what their mood is, and when you need to get out there to intervene.

The sound of the blower, on the other hand….

Sympathies to DD visiting the abattoirs, I know the smell of a chicken processing factory. Gross.
    Have fun making delicious vegetarian meals.

LJoyce, no wonder you were tired yesterday after hosting a dinner party. And such a wonderful one. What a great delicious array of food, and so well appreciated. Great choices by the guests too!

Mm, yum, lasagne next time!

Miso the cat disagrees with you. She thinks I have a long way to go before I become her perfect servant, but she just about puts up with me. 😉

We are quiet and slow here on the forum at the moment, a nice breather before the next time we move into high gear and rattle through the pages.

I’m enjoying my coffee and hoping that all the SH’s are waking up to a good day.
    And the NH’s are having a good night!
    Best wishes all.

Hi everybody. Back to my regular Monday FD today, after moving everything ahead one day last week. I’ll post more later but just couldn’t resist this for Cinque and Miso:

https://goo.gl/images/uAj2jr

It’s certainly a lot easier to keep track of everyone when there are fewer posters. Then again, I have been promising to shorten my posts for years. I am a rambler.

Glad you had good FDs Quacka & LJ.

Quacka, I found a rooibos tea with vanilla that I can drink after dinner (no caffeine) on NFDs. And my favourite tea is Twinings Chai with Vanilla, also for NFDs (because I drink milk with both). From memory, the vanilla flavoured A & C milk may contain more cals than the unsweetened variety. OK for emergencies though I’m sure. Do you camp in a tent and cook over an open fire? Have a wonderful time. It’s the absolute best of Australia.

Those Rainbow Bowls and the like are very colourful and satisfying when you actually have to chew and crunch through every bite of wholesome food.

It is great to have so many veggies in stock that you have to work hard to use them up. Better than at the other end when you’re running out and resorting to frozen peas (I love them too but it signals that the fresh veggies are coming to an end).

Yes I agree, the sound of children playing and laughing is lovely to hear. And it’s better for them to be outside than in front of a screen. It’s the screaming & screeching that I can’t deal with. In Australia, we are fortunate to have public parklands with extensive playgrounds absolutely everywhere where children can let off steam, play ball games, run wild and not disturb others. We have two within a 5 minute stroll.

It will be interesting to learn how the chicken abattoir has managed to conceal that smell in a city environment.

I have lost a bit of weight since yesterday CalifD, so have now re-joined you under the 60kg mark.

P.S. I’ve just seen your post, I took too long to write mine. Quickly showed DD your T shirt on her way out to the abattoir. That never gets old. Too funny! Time for coffee number two and hopefully another mindful eating day.

Hi SHs,

This morning I went hunting for a solution to organise some drawers.
    Now that I’ve got the dining room storage I’ve been able to free up some kitchen space. Although things are less crammed now, having compartments would make it easier to find what I want quickly.
    I found these bamboo organisers at Kmart. I brought a whole variety of different sizes, and taller ones for my baking drawer. I even bought some for the drawer in my bedside table to organise jewellery.
    https://imgur.com/a/Nj1icLK I’m really pleased with the outcome. It was economical too, $53 for 14 bamboo containers. I feel so happy about having a dedicated baking drawer again, I really missed that from my old kitchen.

Quacka & Cali, hope your FD is an easy one.
    Quacka, 7 hours in a car does not sound like fun to me, but the lunch sounds nice, enojy.
    Cali, I love that t-shirt. It doesn’t matter how nice you are to a cat, they just consider it their due.

Thin & Quacka, the only very low cal vanilla almond milk is Blue Diamond – Almond Breeze. However I do prefer Sanitarium’s almond-coconut milk. I often just tip some vanilla essence into my carton of almond-coconut milk, if I’m sure I’m not going to need any for savoury cooking.

Cinque, there are certain things I often make for family gatherings and my great-niece has been asking me to make the lasagne again for quite a while now. It’s a good choice when it’s more convenient to prepare the food a day two ahead of time – and that weekend it definitely will be better if I do the cooking ahead.

Thin, my lovely spring weather got blown away this morning and your rain arrived from the west! Glad to hear you are now in the 59s again.
    T2s Melbourne Breakfast tea also has vanilla in it, but also caffeine.

Feeling a bit lethargic now. I had one of those nights where I was tired but couldn’t sleep. I tried to read myself to sleep but was too tired to keep my eyes open or concentrate. I got to sleep at about 4 am. I think might have a lazy afternoon and an early night. I’m glad I’m not fasting today, it would have been a struggle. I just had some leftover veg with a poached egg for lunch.

Thin, congrats on getting under the 60kg mark again. I was at 60.1 this morning after a weekend of not being careful enough. Today’s FD should put me back in the 59’s. You know, I just realized something…when I was losing the weight there were several plateaus along the way where on some FDs I wouldn’t lose anything. Now, I always lose at least 300 or 400 grams on a FD, usually a little more. I wonder why that is?

Quacka, have fun on your camping trip. That Healthy Bowl that you had sounds really good. Smoked salmon and pickled cabbage are foods I love. Maybe I’ll try to make something like that tomorrow night for dinner.

Cinque, cauliflower and pea curry is a favorite of mine. But I usually make it with Indian spices and add a good amount of nutritional yeast which gives it a really nice cheesy flavor.

Thin, I think if I ever visited an abattoir I would probably not be able to eat chicken again. Having the killing of an animal hidden somehow makes it possible to believe they come from plastic covered packages in a refrigerated section. ☹️

LJ, I hope you’re having a nice, restful afternoon. It’s always such a waste of a day when you haven’t slept well. I like those bamboo dividers. I wanted something like that for the drawers in our ensuite when my OH built our vanity but nothing was available so I got him to build in some interlocking dividers so I could have compartments for make-up. All the lipsticks standing upright together, etc. I’m not OCD at all.

BTW, to answer your earlier question, OH seems OK with vegetarian options. This year, inspired by posters here, I’ve added a lot more legumes to our diet. I make sure he gets his meat/poultry fix either on my FDs or when DD is away. And, when we do have meat, I use a lot less per person than I used to.

CalifD, I think tonight’s dinner conversation will be particularly gross. It’s usually about anal glands, pussy abscesses or popped out eyeballs. It’s good that you always lose weight after a FD even at your low goal weight. That’s a great weapon for dealing with Saturday’s pizza night! I had two plateaus in weight-loss mode. One was over my first 5:2 Christmas where I planned to stay the same weight by 1 January. The second was when I got to this weight and, after calling it a plateau for some weeks, I decided instead to call it ‘goal weight’. I don’t always lose weight after a FD but then the day after I will. At this stage, I should be confident enough to weigh weekly but old habits die hard. I do find the scales very rewarding (well, usually).

LJ, wewere posting at the same time (or I didn’t refresh the page before starting). I like those drawer organizers. I should try something like that. I have 2 drawers for kitchen tools and they’re really a mess. So many different sizes of tools. Your drawers look deeper than mine I think. Your drawers look so nicely organized now.
    Blue Diamond Almond Breeze is the one we often buy here. Small world. I have trouble sleeping at night too. It’s midnight here. The other part is waking up at 3 or 4am and not being able to fall back asleep.

Thin, I can’t imagine not weighing daily, even when I know it’s going to be up. I’ve been at 59 and 60 kg for a while but don’t count that as a plateau because I’m eating quite a bit on NFD, I’m so disciplined on FD but a bit out of control on NFD. I need to change that and get in the 58’s again.

Cali, I had already noticed that you are rarely in a hurry to get to bed. You are often posting into what must be the wee small hours of the morning in California.
    Any news on the hurricane that’s heading for the US east coast? I hope you get off lightly this time. I think you’ve had your share of natural disasters in recent years.
    Those containers come in 6.8cm and 9.5cm heights. I only used the taller one in my large baking drawer as it’s internal depth is much deeper than the utensil drawer (which is the same size as the cutlery drawer and fairly shallow). Ikea also have some good options but they weren’t as economical and are all based on standard drawer sizes for their own kitchen units. Unfortunately they aren’t the same as the dimensions for my kitchen drawers.

Thin, glad to hear that the whole family likes vego meals – the idea of every family member wanting something different would have me going on strike.
    That dinner conversation sounds completely gross. I think it would put me off my dinner, wouldn’t matter if it was meat or vego.

I have a gravy beef stew in the oven (with lots of veggies in it). As the weather’s turned cold I’m looking forward to this for dinner. I’m going to put some into ramekins and top with a little of the leftover mash from Sunday night. These I’ll freeze as FD meals, as I can bake them in the basket of the airfryer.

Good evening all

Well it’s been a topsy turvy week for me ever since the races were cancelled. I posted this morning that I was on a B2B FD even though it was unplanned. Well the boss arrived at work about 10am this morning and tells me we are no longer going on our work trip tomorrow. I was very happy as we need to pack the Ute tomorrow afternoon for camping and I usually get home late after these long day trips.
    thin, yes we camp in a tent and have an open fire but we don’t usually cook on it. We have a gas cooker although sometimes we will throw some foil wrapped potatoes in the fire. I will never forget the first time we did the foil potatoes. We cooked them for so long and in such a hot fire that they turned to powder. There was a hard (burnt) skin and potato powder inside! Oh well, live and learn.

So today ended up being a NFD. I went to a new cafe with my friend from work and I had a breaky salad – mixed lettuce, cherry tomatoes, smoked salmon, haloumi, pepitas and pesto as dressing. It also had tri colour quinoa tossed though it. I don’t know what the calories would have been but I really enjoyed it.
    So now FD tomorrow (fingers crossed) as long as someone else doesn’t change my plans!!
    I have always been one to not make too many plans, I actually prefer not to make them. This week has reminded me why.

Looking forward to camping. Thinking about taking some baby spinach from the garden and some shredded cabbage to make salads with. We usually have some sort of protein and salad or sometimes veggies (a little harder as they all need to be cooked in the one small pot). For lunch it’s usually wraps or similar to dinner. I’m hoping to not go over board with the calories and get some more exercise. OH will hopefully get some surfs in so I can go for really long walks. Maybe I will even see some whales coming back though.

Hope you all have a lovely evening and a great day tomorrow x

Hi everyone. Quacka, you find some of the best sounding salads and bowls! I’m definitely going to have to try some for dinner. We have a big planter with Thai Basil that I’m pulling blossoms off of every day to keep it from going to seed. I need to cut it back and dry some or freeze it for winter. We’re still having temps in the 30’s during the day, dropping into the teens at night. I love this time of year. I think the basil would still grow out again this year if I cut it way back. If it doesn’t get too cold at night very soon. I’m thinking I could make a vego (love that word!) bowl with a thai basil pesto or dressing, using the basil, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice, garlic, ginger, a little peanut butter and a dash of hot sauce.

I have to remember to get a few packs of tofu for freezing. I keep reading Cinque’s posts about taking tofu out of the freezer and using it in recipes. I haven’t done that in years, but really like the texture of it and the way it soaks up marinades quicker than fresh.

Thin, no wonder you’re thin, with all of DD’s gross vet talk at dinner! That would certainly cause me to eat less!

59.2 this morning after yesterday’s FD. Down just short of a kg. I definitely want to get down another kg and maintain there. Healthy Bowls is my plan for this week’s NFD if I can get OH to eat them for more than a day or two.

Quacka, how about cut vegos and hummus to take along on the camping trip? Hummus can be made without too much fat and it travels well. A good way to get in the vegos too.

LJ, I’m going to look at some drawer dividers. My drawers are the regular shallow height and not real big. But there are 3 that I could use. They’re stuffed and disorganized now, but perhaps there are things to be given away or thrown out that we no longer use.

Good Morning everyone and hi Cali (I’m guessing its not morning where u are)

I forgot that my lunch yesterday also had a poached egg on the top. No wonder I was so full with all that protein in it!

After the big lunch yesterday and then a yummy beef stew for dinner (I probably ate a bit more than I needed) I was sure I would be up on the scales this morning. I weighed in at 69.5kg which I am happy with. FD today so we will see what tomorrow’s weight is – I know sometimes it takes 2 days to catch up with me.

Oh Cali, I absolutely love hummus. The only fat in the one I make is from the tahini which I know are good fats. I think that is a great idea. I have to pack our things for camping (food, bedding, clothes etc) this afternoon while OH gets the boat ready and packs all the camping gear. Hummus whips up very quickly so I think I should get time to make some and plus now I think I have a craving for it!!

I picked my baby spinach this morning ready to go as well.

Hope everyone has an awesome day. As I am on a FD I will probably check back in later x

Good job with the weight Quacka and Cali. Have a great trip Quacka. Is it just you and OH going camping? I hope you caught up on your sleep LJ and that you finally got some too CalifD. FD for me and a bridge lesson this morning so I need to pack my brain and a peppermint tea bag.

Good morning all

Well rested this morning after a proper night’s sleep.

Cali, I find somethings survive as long as they are in a spot that’s well protected.
    When I grow basil I usually turn all the leaves that are left at the end of the season into pesto and freeze it in portions. So nice to have this in winter.

Quacka, have a fun camping trip.

Thin, don’t forget to pack that banana too!

Good morning,
    I am also fasting today. And yes, the last of the frozen tofu is out of the freezer, Cali, thawing for my miso soup.

Quacka, it looks like you are set for a great day. Hope you get the hummus made. But isn’t it easy! (And homemade really does taste better).

Lucky you are so able to roll with the changes Quacka, but I hope it all goes to plan today and for your camping.

Cali, summer is getting here before it even leaves your area! I’m trying to get my garden organised and I have had to cut back things that usually die down over winter. I am also making space for tomatoes (maybe this year I will work out how to have a good crop) and hopefully zucchini too.

I didn’t manage to make the cauliflower and pea curry yesterday, but I will today and I will have a small bowl in the afternoon if I am hungry, I will just avoid the cashews! (All the more for tomorrow).

Thin, I am fascinated to hear how the conversation went with yesterday’s evening meal.

LJoyce, those dividers are just so lovely and practical. What a pleasure to have them. I do hope you got a better sleep last night. It sounds like you might be like me and get overtired and then be unable to sleep. (I feel like a toddler sometimes).

Well, I am still trying to get through my growing list of things to be done. The pumpkin is crying out to be used now! I will do it curry style too I think. Yum yum lucky me.

Best wishes to you all, I hope there are lots of people lurking and you might get a chance to pop in and let us know how you are going. Oh, btw, I have my new beet kvass fermenting with a nice lot of bubbles on top. Your recipe is a keeper, thanks Minka.

Cheers

Hi Thin and LJoyce, your posts came through while I was writing.
    So glad you got a refreshing night LJoyce!

No banana this morning, LJ as it’s a FD. Strange I know but that’s the way it works. I somehow accept that there’s nothing going until 2pm.

Cinque, I wasn’t going to mention the abattoir. The students were taken through the process backwards, that is, they were shown the final product first and the slaughter is the last thing they were shown. This must be standard for tours as it was the same at a beef abattoir that DD visited a couple of years ago. She was surprised that what’s offered on the supermarket shelf comes ready-packaged like that from the abattoir (having previously thought it was supermarket packaging).

She said it was almost surreal seeing all those stunned chickens hanging upside down moving through the conveyor belt like some weird sideshow at a fairground in readiness for the cutting machine to do its thing. Just before that happens, a man holds out his hand to touch each chicken as it passes, supposedly saying a prayer for each one but he did turn around, wave that hand in greeting and briefly speak to the students so there might have been a few halal certified chickens on yesterday’s shelves that weren’t actually.

Thin, I hadn’t realised it was a FD. I too like to get through to at least early afternoon before I dive into the fruit bowl on a FD. I think you have lots of fasting company today as Quacka has her postponed FD and Cinque is fasting too.

I seem to be a day behind everyone this week, I’m fasting tomorrow – busy day of appointments and errands, so no time to think about food. However I ate too much yesterday so today is a controlled NFD. I turned the leftover sweet potato casserole into soup yesterday – enough for 2 large bowls. I’ll have one tonight with a boiled egg and a slice of kibbled rye, tomorrow I’ll just have the soup as it’s a FD.

Cinque, I keep opening the baking drawer to look at everything laid out where I can find it, it’s such a treat to have enough space to do that.
    I have also moved all my saucepans, stockpots, dutch oven and roasting pans into the old pantry cupboard. It’s so much easier on my wrists to have these heavy items spread out throughout this cupboard. When they were packed into what is now my baking drawer, they were all stacked inside each other. It always feels luxurious to have ample kitchen/dining storage space.

Thin, I suspect abattoirs learned the hard way, that if they showed the slaughter first they’d lose a few observers to vomiting who’d miss the rest of the tour. There is also an element of linkage too, starting with something that everyone is familiar with (the packaged supermarket trays of meat) and working backwards.
    Unless someone is from a rural area they may be able to imagine the process but have probably never seen it for real, let alone participated.
    I grew up seeing live chickens become dinner. It wasn’t the head being chopped off with an axe that bothered me, it was having to help with the plucking. My dad wielded the axe, my mum did the scalding to loosen the feathers and then my sister and I (and sometimes mum) did the plucking. I also hated seeing the innards removed – that also bothered me much more than the decapitation.
    The laying hens were allowed to live out their days and die of old age – a reward for all those eggs. But it was a different story for the roosters. When a clutch of eggs was allowed to hatch most of the roosters became dinner. There would usually be a couple left alive to grow to adulthood, to determine which one was better suited to the flock of hens. Some were a bit too vicious – if they attacked my mum when her back was turned I knew their days were numbered.
    Sorry, have I put you all off your lunch now?

Cinque, I guess the effect of being overtired is a bit like a toddler, although I don’t throw a tantrum about it!

Cali, Amazon have a lot of drawer inserts and that may be an economical place to get them. These aren’t containers, but adjustable bamboo dividers https://www.amazon.com/Define-Essential-Bamboo-Kitchen-Dividers/dp/B06X41MQBY/ref=sr_1_22?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1536719606&sr=1-22&keywords=drawer+dividers these would work for cutlery or implement drawers, but probably not the best solution for a deeper drawer. These look more like the containers I used: https://www.amazon.com/Seville-Classics-5-Piece-Storage-Organizer/dp/B006MON3XE/ref=pd_sim_201_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B006MON3XE&pd_rd_r=6236c03c-b634-11e8-9f1d-0fdf2b561195&pd_rd_w=4hR9H&pd_rd_wg=Cx9qN&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=18bb0b78-4200-49b9-ac91-f141d61a1780&pf_rd_r=4AKESGQ35EW59WAVDP65&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=4AKESGQ35EW59WAVDP65 If you scroll down on this page there are clearly many other similar options also on Amazon.
    Not that I’m trying to encourage you to do any more online shopping!
    I measured the things I needed to fit into the containers before I went shopping, however I forgot to take into account the way the boxes were measured. The stated dimensions are for the outside of the boxes, that means the internal space is smaller – I had to move things around a bit because of this, but got it to work in the end.

Hi all. A little catch-up now I’m down from the mountain. Thin I avoided those monkeys like the plague ….I don’t dislike many animals, but monkeys are the exception.
    LJ love your furniture and your storage ideas – so nice to have it all come together, so elegantly and also so practically.
    Quacka how disappointing, all your efforts for the race day (and OH’s) didn’t work out. Is it any consolation to say you’ll be ready to go for the next event?
    Cinque I’m starting to think Miso and I have a lot in common!
    LJ I grew up in suburban Brisbane, where my Dad kept chooks (mostly for eggs but the odd rooster for the pot) and one turkey which was acquired later in the year and fattened for Christmas. As kids we were sent inside with the curtains firmly closed as he dispatched each bird. But being kids, my brothers and I always peeked, and were fascinated at how they jumped around after they’d been beheaded. I couldn’t watch it now.
    Thin, please don’t shorten your posts; I love reading them.
    Three days left before we head home, and I am craving my FD routines. The scales say I’ve put on 4 kilos, but I know that’s not right because I haven’t actually been too bad. I’ve not eaten one hotel pastry for example, and have tried to spin out the time between dinner and breakfast to more than 12 hours. Time will tell what’s holiday water weight, and what’s real. Back to my routine on Sunday.
    Calif great to hear your surgery has been such a success.

Quacka, LJ came up with another suggestion some months ago for making hummus. She uses toasted sesame oil in place of the tahini. Or maybe in addition to. I think it gives the hummus a nicer flavor so I usually use it instead of the tahini. I don’t use any other oils.

Cinque, I finally remembered to get a couple packages of tofu to freeze. I’m looking forward to using it in all kinds of things. Your beetroot kavass sounds like it’s coming along well with fermenting. Bubbling is a good sign.

LJ, thank you for th

Humm, my keyboard stuck and I wouldn’t let me edit.

LJ, thank you for the drawer divider links. Those tension install ones are a nice idea. When I look at yours, the look so neat. And you had a lot of stuff in them too.
    My Thai basil came back this year on its own. It’s the first time basil came back in the spring. It looked completely dead once it got cold. I thought at first that it was a weed growing in the pot.

Thin, tonight will be earlier to sleep.i’m tired.

Lindsay, a lot of that weight gain is probably water. It sounds like you’ve been doing a lot of walking and eating sensibly.

Lindsay, lets hope the travel scales are just calibrated differently to your home ones. You’ve done really well to avoid those pastries – definitely a weakness of mine at breakfast buffets.
    Hope you get back into routine quickly once home and that you bring lots of lovely memories home from your travels.

Cali & Quacka, I use sesame oil instead of tahini not as well as. It adds the sesame flavour but with less fat as the oil has a stronger sesame taste so it doesn’t take much. For every tablespoon of tahini in a hummus recipe I’d use one teaspoon or less of chinese sesame oil. I actually started doing this because I was worried about the tahini going rancid before I got to the end of the jar as I don’t use it for anything other than hummus. I use Chinese toasted sesame oil in lots of asian cooking so it never gets a change to age for too long. Then I realised it was also adding a lot less calories to my hummus without sacrificing flavour – a win-win!

I decided to get stuck into the gardening today and I have enjoyed it so much. I’ve removed all of the decorative black bark mulch from the area I’m using as a veggie patch and I’ve shoveled it into large garden bags to reuse elsewhere. I’ve removed the black plastic and checked the soil – fairly heavy, but nothing some gypsum and compost won’t fix. Then I carefully dug up some poor bluebells that were trying to find the sun through all that black plastic – I’ve put them in a terracotta pot for now as I don’t know where I’m putting bulbs in this garden – probably out the front. (I have the same problems with waste when it comes to plants as I do with food.)

Then I drove over to Bunnings and filled the car with bags of compost, fertiliser, gypsum and peastraw mulch. I was so happy pushing my trolley around and loading this stuff onto it – the other customers must have wondered what on earth I was grinning about. It reminded me just how much I’ve missed gardening. I’m really excited to have a little project to work on. 😀
    Now I also need to plan what to plant and where so I don’t overcrowd the plot – something I’m notorious for doing! I like to use companion planting where possible to reduce pests naturally.

Cali, of all the bamboo drawer organisers I saw on Amazon, this is the one I liked the most. https://www.amazon.com/Lipper-International-8397-Adjustable-Organizer/dp/B0049SPBQC/ref=pd_sim_201_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0049SPBQC&pd_rd_r=a7eb370f-b657-11e8-b96a-75051c3f57a5&pd_rd_w=De3gj&pd_rd_wg=AZ2f5&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=56838e6b-66d4-41e0-a762-743f1a1a628a&pf_rd_r=9KKQ3GF8227YJVQCBENJ&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=9KKQ3GF8227YJVQCBENJ
    I would have bought this for my cooking implements drawer, had they had it here. The fact that every compartment is completely adjustable means that even if your kitchen gadgets change you can alter this thing so they’ll still fit.

Isn’t it wonderful the night after a poor sleeping night? You can’t wait to fall into bed and you get off to sleep so quickly.

Lindsay, good to hear from you. I, too, have a thing about monkeys. We’ve had a few unpleasant encounters, the worst was being chased by baboons in Namibia. I’m starting to sound as if I don’t like animals what with my constant whinging about snakes and now monkeys. But I do love wildlife. It sounds as if you have managed your eating very well while away. Even if you have gained 4 kgs, I bet at least half of that will be gone after the first FD. Enjoy the remaining days, it seems that you’ve been away so long.

LJ, I think it’s good that people connect with their food supply and understand where it comes from & how it’s killed. I wouldn’t fancy that plucking business. I also don’t like it at dinner when DD inserts her fork prong into a chicken artery and gives us an anatomy lesson. I’ve grown used to having no filter on the dinner conversation now.

LJ, I was wondering after I wrote my earlier post why I can easily get through a bridge lesson without feeling hungry on a FD, yet become really hungry towards the late morning of a bridge game on a NFD. It’s either psychological because FDs are non-negotiable or perhaps the milk in the NFD frothy coffees stimulates hunger whereas the FD almond & coconut milk coffee does not. I wonder if it could be that subtle? Anyway, today has been easy and, after the lesson, I went for a walk into town with OH, caught the ferry back and arrived home about half an hour later than my normal 2pm soup time. Decided against the leftover bacon & chicken casserole (now frozen) as I have a whopping Chinese cabbage that needs eating so it’s miso soup tonight.

Cinque and Quacka, hope you’re having an easy day too. Sleep tight, CalifD.

I just started digging over the heavy soil and picking out the bits of builders rubble along the way and it started raining. I figured it was an opportune time to stop as I’ve done quite a bit today – don’t want to aggravate my back again.

Change of plan for FDs and CDs. I’ve had no appetite today and could quite happily just have a bowl of soup for dinner, so today has turned out to be a FD. I’ll do a controlled NFD tomorrow. I prefer not to make changes like this but my lack of appetite has dictated things today.

Thin, I think a lot of our eating and hunger is generated in our brain not our stomach. So it’s quite likely to relate to what you’ve come to expect on a NFD. Could it also be that you are looking for food earlier on the NFD after a FD?

That’s an ideal change of plan LJ – you completed most of the FD without even realising that it was one! Yes, I think you could be right – I might be in need of food earlier the day after the FD. May even be a combination of factors.

Hi everyone 🙂

Lindsay, yes I will be ready for the next big day although I may need a new dress by then! The one I was going to wear was last years work Christmas party dress and it was already too big this time around. I was still going to wear it as I love it and I thought I could get away with the size of it as it has a belt (sash, I don’t know) that ties at the back. I think it will be swimming on me soon.

I think holiday weights are a bit misleading and like thin said, half will probably be gone after a FD. I am expecting to weigh more after our little camping trip but I know the next week it will be gone again.

Thanks for the suggestion Cali and the information LJoyce on using sesame oil in hummus. What a great idea! I think I will try it.

OH is working this morning and then I am meeting him at his work early this afternoon to go camping. He has hooked the boat up to the Ute for me and then I have to drive about an hour to meet him and then he will take over the driving. I have done it once before but I am still a little nervous. It is worth it though as I am really looking forward to camping.

I need a few suggestions for tofu. Last night I cubed it and fried it in a little oil. When it was done I added some grated garlic and ginger, soy sauce and some chilli jam. It was tasty but I feel it could have been better. Does anyone marinade their tofu? I’m curious how I could marinade it first (and in what marinade) and then cook it, or do you marinade it after it’s cooked? If it is marinated after how could I serve it warm? I don’t have a microwave by the way lol

Hope you all have a lovely day. I’m off to get the last little bits done for camping x

I hope that link works. I have been promising to show you my outfit that was for the races.

Quacka, I was excited to click on that link. Disappointed that you weren’t in the clothes though! I absolutely love those shoes. And I’m not a shoe person. The pink and navy is a great combination. Have a wonderful weekend. I’m sure you’ll be terrific at towing the boat – if you have to reverse, you can just go round the block!

Quacka, love the outfit.
    I always use the same marinade for tofu. I use a combination of tamari, lime juice, garlic, ginger and chilli. Like you I marinate after I’ve panfried it. I do dry the slices of tofu on many layers of kitchen towel before I cook it, to drain some of the water out. I find that once cooked, it soaks the marinade up better if I’ve done this preparation. I also make the slices larger than I want so that I can cut them smaller once cooked, as the cut edges soak the marinade up better than the sealed cooked edges do.

Thin, you’re up early, it must only be dawn over in Perth! Of course, day after FD, you needed your frothy coffee.

After my impromptu FD, today is a NFD. I have appointments this morning and then I have o go to Ikea to return something and get a few things. I may treat this as a controlled day, but given that I’ll be busy until mid-afternoon it’s likely to be restrained without any special effort.

Have a good day everyone.

My turn for a sleepless night. DD came home all bloody which didn’t seem quite right even for someone who’d spent the day visiting abattoirs. She’d parked at the local shops on her way home where she witnessed a little dog run across the road off lead and get hit by a car. It was already near death with horrific injuries when she reached it and it died within minutes while she was trying to examine it. A horrible end to an already awful day.

Over dinner, DD recounted some very disturbing scenes that she’d witnessed at both the sheep and the cow abattoirs. Most of her peers had to walk out before the end but she forced herself to stay because she felt it important not to turn a blind eye. 5th year vet students are hardly squeamish, but they all found it very confronting from an animal welfare perspective. I couldn’t sleep thinking about the unnecessary suffering of those poor animals and I woke very early feeling sickened by it. I don’t know what’s going on in your respective states but I’m ashamed to be Australian after what I’ve heard. As a family, we are in the process of re-evaluating our relationship with meat and have already made the decision not to support the sheep industry. Today it’s the pig abattoir.

@Cinque-I read this thread every day & am still doing 5:2, with B2B’s this week, which I found easier than splitting. I decided to try 7 days without any wine & half a kilo dropped off quickly. I have had lots of tests but not got any results back yet. I’ll be sticking with this.
    You all seem to have a good friendship & support system & I do find it reassuring when I see your success with 5:2. I’m finding I am much less hungry on NFD’s now too. Even with a grueling golf game yesterday (16,000 steps, 50 “floors” & 176 active mins) I wasn’t hungry at all & only ate half my lunch. I do feel confident that it will work.
    Quacka- that outfit is lovely & I’m not a shoe lover either, but those shoes are gorgeous!
    Thin- We really try to eat meat that comes from a place that treats their animals humanely & eat a lot of wild, feral venison for that reason & free-range chicken. It is shameful the way animals are treated & does make you feel disgusted. I don’t think there would be any states who would be blameless unfortunately. We now pay more for ethically treated meat & eat less than we used to. It just made me feel sick thinking about how animals are mistreated, so I hate to think how your daughter must have felt. Kudos to her for sticking it out

Cate, it’s good to know that you’re sticking with 5:2 and have found a regime that’s working for you. I always equate Tassie as a place where people can source no end of fabulous, high quality, fresh produce. I expect the same ethically farmed meat is available here too but, as a city dweller, I’ve tended to go for the easy, supermarket options. You’ve made me think about sourcing alternatives now, not just for animal products. Inspired by posters here, we’ve also been eating less meat and that can only be a healthy change. So when we do eat meat, I’d be prepared to pay more for a guarantee that the animal didn’t suffer.

Quacka, I love your outfit, especially the shoes. They are just gorgeous! I usually marinate tofu before cooking, in soy sauce or tamari, garlic, ginger and any othe spices and herbs that go with whatever else I’m making. It absorbs pretty fast. Have you ever tried freezing the tofu and then thawing it before using? Very different texture after and it absorbs marinades more quickly too.

Thin, what an awful experience for DD, coming across that injured dog after spending the day at the abattoirs. I can understand how that would keep you awake. I’ve heard stories about the abattoirs in this country too, at have seen a few videos from PETA and the Humain Society online. I avoid watching them since as they are so upsetting. I really need to re-examine my eating of animal products, of turning my head and ignoring what I know to be true. A strange coincidence that OH had a doctor’s appointment today about difficulty staying asleep and acid reflux. He has one of those doctors who sits and types into the computer while discussing (I hate that) but came home with 9 pages of web references on sleeping suggestions (most of which we’ve already researched and read on our own, thanks to Dr. Google) but there were 2 whole pages on the subjust of plant based, vegan diets. This was rather surprising as his doctor is a very mainstream internal medicine doc, the type who would normally consider a vegan diet too radical to suggest to his patients. And OH is slim, has normal to low BP, fairly low cholesterol, etc,, so it’s strange that his doctor would even bring it up. OH does have a lot of faith in his doctor’s suggestions.

The write-up started, “Consuming a whole food plant based diet will improve your weight, and reduce your risk of many chronic diseases including coronary artery disease and diabetes mellitus…” It goes on to suggest several books on plant based diets by authors such as Dr.Neal Barnard, Michael Greger MD, Dr. Esselstyne, T Colin Campbell PhD, Valter Longo, Dr. McDougall, etc. I told OH that we already own most of these books. We already eat many plant based meals, but OH complains sooner or later about the lack of meat. (Although it’s usually poultry or fish.) He does trust his doctor though and maybe this will be the push that we need to make a change. My excuse of business lunches being more difficult (but not impossible) hasn’t been a factor since I’ve been off of work. Maybe thin’s recent posts and her DD experiences the last couple days, combined with the doc’s suggestions are a sign that it’s time for a change. (Do I even believe in signs? 😗) In spite of my high cholesterol, I’ve never had a doctor suggest a plant based diet, only more statin drugs.

Viewing 50 posts - 17,251 through 17,300 (of 28,021 total)

You must be logged in to reply.