Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,925 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  Neilithicman 3 days, 9 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 17,051 through 17,100 (of 28,029 total)

• Good morning,
    A quick post as I am getting the place organised to have Miss 4 here while her mum does a market stall. Yes, three busy days with kiddies in a row, I am getting tired, but it will be a good day so I am not complaining.

The party yesterday was lovely. The weather was perfect. My dolamades weren’t very cigar shaped, but that’s what comes from only making them once before and that was ten years ago. They tasted yummy and all were eaten. Sorry, didn’t manage a picture, and I didn’t end up doing the felafel.

Cali, my dolmades recipe is a vegetarian one, mostly onion and tomato with the rice and spiced with cinnamon and pimento.

So glad your second BP count was so much lower!
    Isn’t 33 nice and cool at the end of a hot run. And cooler nights are one of the greatest pleasures. (Thanks for using celsius) (I presume you were!)

My little bit of input on eggplant rollups, I brush the slices with oil and then cook them under the grill (broiler), turning them over half way, to cut down on oil.

Lindsay, you did impress your doctor! 5:2 Ambassador! And while you are being super strict on NFDs until that next 8kg is gone, at least you are rewarding yourself with gorgeous jackets!

LJoyce, your little grand niece’s party sounds great fun, and your treats would have given such pleasure. Haha re the squealing!

Well, the cat is on my knee now, so I will add a para. Thin, did you have your lovely celebratory restaurant meal yesterday?

Good luck with the NFD rules. The ‘no snacks’, and ‘nothing after 8pm’ are good ones. Cali I hope you can think of a magical drink, that isn’t sweet, to sip in the quiet of the night house.

Cat has jumped off so I am off too. Best wishes to everyone.

Good morning, hope you all are having a nice Sunday.

Cinque, I’m so glad the party went well. Hope you have a gentle day with your grand daughter and don’t get too tired.

I’m about to head up to the hills to visit my best friend and then my aunt and uncle. I’m taking the few leftover macarons to my friend and the many leftover melting moments to my aunt. I don’t want them in the house so this is a good solution.

I haven’t decided yet whether this will be a FD or a CD. Either way it will be just fruit in the day and an omelette for dinner. (The difference will be in what goes into the omelette.) I have my infusion tomorrow, so it does need to be a calorie restricted day. I’ll take a photo tonight when I’ve cooked the omelette.

Time to finish my cuppa and head off.

Good morning Cinque, is your daughter selling her crocheted items at the stall? She’s a talented and busy lady. I forgot to tell you that when we drove south to collect DD and the broken down car, we passed through a small town that had crocheted squares hanging all along the main street. On the way back, we stopped there for dinner and found out they’d been involved in the same competition as your daughter. I think they said 800 people but I might have made that up as that seems like the entire population.

The children of the eastern states certainly enjoy some fancy party food – macaroons and dolmades! It’s great that you get to meet Miss 4’s friends and spend so much time with her.

Thanks for asking, yes we had the meal at the Japanese restaurant when DD arrived home from work. In an attempt to avoid rice, I ordered a bowl of udon noodle soup with vegetable tempura. I left most of the noodles but ate all the tempura. The damage this morning is horrendous. I wonder what’s in the batter, it seems so light. Maybe it was all the carbs in the yummy veggies. Well, a FD today. I’ll be having the other half of the roasted capsicum & ginger soup &, later, a hearty root & barley soup portion from the freezer. And a good, brisk walk with plenty of HIT.

Last week, one of our precious river dolphins died from injuries sustained from fishing line entanglement. What’s even more sad is that she had a calf who’s 18 mos old and not expected to survive without her unless she gets adopted by some of her mum’s fishing buddies which is unlikely. It’s a horrible sight to see a bloated dolphin get winched out of the river and loaded unceremoniously onto a truck. DD happened to be on pathology rotation last week so she watched the necropsy.

It’s a beautiful, sunny day and hopefully I won’t see anything unpleasant.

LJ, good morning. Impressive that you still have macaroons and melting moments in the house! Something must be going well.

Hello all. Now, let me see if I can do this. If it works – thought you might like to see one of our neighbours at our little island. He may be cute, but his behaviour overnight is nothing short of shocking – no wonder he sleeps all day!
    https://imgur.com/80lKkpO
    Cinque hope your babysitting doesn’t wear you out – they are cute, cute, but can be exhausing. I ran into an old colleague at the movies last night (The Wife – excellent) who has a two and a half year old, whom he babysat overnight. ‘What time did he go to sleep?’ his daughter asked. “I don’t know’, said my friend. ‘I was already asleep’. Now that’s a novel approach to grandparenting.

Thin I was relieved you enjoyed my last post – I do ramble on sometimes.
    Sad about the dolphin – they are so engaging it’s hard to lose one, especially seeing it disposed of so unceremoniously.

Calif I agree about weight loss and age. Maybe it’s the spring in the step, but I do think there’s nothing more aging than carrying excess weight. I am looking forward to being in a humid climate in Bali, because I don’t think this dry dry winter has been good for anyone’s skin. And talking of weather, it’s pouring here in the north today. I’m hoping some of it gets to the places that need it. Listen to farmers’ stories and watching their stock dying is heartbreaking.

Good work at the party LJ – it can be hard. And btw I think clothes are perfect presents – good for the children and also for the parents. My sil made pyjamas for all the children every birthday and it was lovely to know they were coming each year.

Thin I envy you your boots – we have such a limited window here in the north to wear them, but they really set off an outfit and can be so so comfy, which is what we all want!
    And now off to the fun part of my day -putting together clothes to go on holiday. I am being selective and trying to match outfits up instead of just throwing it all in last minute. I have two days of work then fly out very early on Wednesday so the plan is to finish today, throw my makeup in last minute and off I fly! Hope you are all enjoying your Sunday.

Lindsay, that koala is sooo cute! He does look a little sleepy. 😁😴 You’re going to have so much fun and hopefully some relaxing in Bali. How long will you be there?

Thin, that’s so sad about the dolphin and her baby. Isn’t there a nature preserve or something somewhere that could take the baby if it doesn’t get adopted by a local dolphin? How long is it before they can fend for themselves?

Cinque, have fun with Miss 4 today. I hope she tired herself out yesterday so today will be more sedate, although kids seem to be like Energizer bunnies!

LJ, have fun visiting your friend and your aunt today. I’m sure they’ll enjoy your beautiful desserts.

Hi everyone
    Sorry for late reply Cali. I sliced the eggplant about 1cm thick (a little too thick, next time will do slightly thinner). I have a ribbed cast iron grill plate that fits on a long ‘fish’ burner on my stove. I cook the eggplant on that using spray oil (on the eggplant not the plate). I made some tiny pork meatballs that I pushed in around the rolls and topped it all with a bottled grilled veggie tomato sauce and a tonne of cheese! It was really yummy although probably too high in calories with all the cheese. We only ate half of it so there is the other half to have with something tonight.
    I am getting better at making dishes where I can have mostly veggies but the OH still gets his serve of meat. I have just cooked a chicken thigh curry for Tuesday nights dinner. I have used half a can of chick peas and lots of veggies as well as the thighs. With the other half of the pack of chicken thighs I have made some kebabs for tomorrow nights dinner. OH made a nice marinade (dry rub) from garlic ginger chilli coriander seeds and turmeric. Served with a nice salad that should make a good FD meal. Then the curry for the next night which I think I will serve with cauliflower broccoli rice.
    Soooooo organised!
    One thing I have realised since starting 5:2 is how our diet has changed. While I always thought we ate quite healthily, now I realise there was definitely room for improvement. We used to eat lots of veggies (but potato always featured) but now we eat so many more and a wider variety. OH is now eating veggies he never would have before and he often chooses the veggie option over the useless carbs one eg. ‘would you like me to make some rice for you? No I will just have some of your cauliflower rice’
    We are also eating more pulses and legumes – chick peas, kidney beans, lentils, black beans….
    I’m finding whenever I cook mince I always add some beans of some kind and some veggies. What used to be one meal with a bit left over now becomes two meals and much healthier.
    Oh one more thing. My size 12 jeans could be a bit of a problem soon. I took them off today without undoing the button! I’m losing weight much more slowly now on the scale but my shape is changing a lot. Oh well, luckily summer is coming so I won’t need my jeans as much 😉
    Did anyone hear the news of the fisherman who ended up in the water for two hours after his 8 metre boat got hit by a whale? Scary. A couple of years ago we were out fishing early one morning and we could hear the whales getting closer. We could hear them hitting the water as they breached and also hit the water with their fins. There was a mother and baby and they were coming straight towards us. The other was first and she went down quite deep but right underneath us. The baby dove down after her ( not very deep) but we could actually see him as he passed directly under the boat. It was the most amazing thing. They then pulled up not far past us and were breaching and rolling and making noise and just frolicking about. It was a magical morning.
    So sorry thin about the river dolphin. Yes I love fishing but we are very careful about the way we fish. We rarely actually keep fish to eat as we prefer to throw them back and let them get bigger! We have had many arguments with other fishermen about how many they are keeping, especially our local fishing club. We attended a meeting once but were disgusted at how many fish were killed just to weigh them in. We said so and have never been back again. People cause the problems.
    Anyway enough of my super long post. I’m very passionate about fishing but doing so in a sustainable way. Then we have the super trawlers…….a whole (huge) other problem I won’t start on now.
    Take care everyone x

Just lost my post before submitting it. I’ll try and remember what I wrote.

Photo for today: https://imgur.com/3SGnDDu a spinach, tomato and mushroom omelette. I also had a small banana and 3 pots of tea today.

Quacka, that sounds like a week’s worth of meals already prepped – good going. Have fun looking for size 10 jeans.

Cali, I did have fun. I had a cuppa and a long chat to my aunt and uncle. They are getting very frail so I need to keep in touch, despite having moved away from the area they live.

Lindsay, isn’t it amazing that such a loud racket can some from such a small creature. And for some reason they always seem to make the most noise at 2am!

Thin, Sorry to hear that the Japanese meal caused your scales to be unfriendly this morning. Tempura batter can be made from either rice, wheat or corn flour, with egg and iced water. The majority of calories however come from it having been deep fried.
    So sad to hear about the dolphin. We have fresh water dolphins here in the Port River and they are all too frequently injured or killed.
    Giving up the baked goodies wasn’t at all hard. I don’t like macarons and I prefer melting moments without the buttercream filling. I also really wanted to give the melting moments to my aunt and uncle as I know they are a favourite of theirs. During the 5 years that my dad was in aged care, my aunt kept him constantly supplied with his favourite home baked biscuits. She is now so frail herself she no longer has the energy to bake. So when I can, I like to take them a batch of biscuits.
    Hope your FD went well and scales are kinder tomorrow.

Time for a cup of chai with almond milk.

I enjoyed the posts as they trickled in today, my fast day. LJ, I can’t work out whether that omelette tells us it became a FD or not. If not, I managed all by myself! Well, it’s only 7pm so it’s not over yet. I had a good, brisk walk and the scales went down during the day so tomorrow should be OK. Great that you had some quality time with the rellies. Thanks for the info on tempura, I should have known better. All the best for tomorrow’s treatment.

Quacka, that was an amazing story about the whales. What kind of whales were they? I’m thinking yours is quite a large fishing boat. I loved what you wrote about fishing too. It’s nice that you are eating more healthily with your husband. I, too, used to think we had a healthy diet, it was certainly better than most of our friends’, but I found out that there is always room for improvement. We’re consuming more legumes. I now only use full fat products. I’ve learned a lot on these pages.

CalifD, I believe a dolphin can survive from about 12 months but they usually remain with their mother until closer to 3. The Citizen Science that I’m involved with shows us that the river park dolphins form friendship groups. The juvenile could survive if she finds the group that she and her mother used to hang out with before she started deteriorating from the wounds. But the pathologist in charge of the necropsy seemed to think her death was a fait accompli. We’ll see.

Cute koala, Lindsay! I’d forgotten how loud they can be. Have a safe and fun trip.

Thin – today was a FD. That veggie omelette is my standard FD version. There would be cheese too on a NFD.

It has been some time since I checked in, so lots of posts to read. I grew up in the north-east of England, one of the places where kippers are still produced, and I am a kipper addict, so Thin got me going. For me a kipper is a smoked herring. It has a head and a tail and a spine between them and it looks like a fish that has been opened out. You fry it in butter, grill it or plunge it into boiling water then eat it, usually with bread and butter. It is one of the staples of my low cal fasting days – very often my only meal that day, taken in the evening although it is usually a breakfast dish. I have, in desperation, eaten the things in tins but they are a poor substitute. An alternative is the bloater – a herring which is cleaned but not split before being smoked. If you have Scottish ancestry you might favour an Arbroath smokie. A well smoked herring will last a long time. Really thoroughly smoked ones, known as “Red Herrings” would survive the sailing ship passage to India when the Brits were there in great numbers.

I tend not to do very much to them, but shredded and cooked in Dauphinoise potatoes they make a good, to my mind better, alternative to Anchovies.

Good morning,
    Another quick post. I am trying to recover from three exhausting days and I have three busy days ahead. Eep. Wish me luck (and good management, but that slides when I get this tired.)

Penguin, you make me determined to find non-tinned kippers!

My daughter was in a shared stall with three others who had hand-made items. Yes, my daughter had her crocheted items. She said it was a lovely market but none of them managed a sale, everyone likes the second hand clothing stalls best! Lots of interest though so the feedback is good.

I will tell her about the crochet square town!

Must admit it was the mums and dads who preferred the dolmades, although the littlest granddaughter just loved the chopped toasted hazelnuts sprinkled on top.

My sympathy re the tempura. I hope they were delicious!

But so sorry to hear about the poor dolphin. I do so hope the baby survives.

Quacka, I’m so glad to have a wonderful story of whales to counteract it.

But Lindsay, those snorty-growl koalas at night! Shocking!
    Babysitting sleeping kids is the go!
    So glad there has been some rain up there!
    Enjoy packing!

Oh dear, what a disjointed post, but must go in a sec.

Cali, yes. Energizer bunnies!

Quacka the eggplants would look great cooked that way, and have a touch of smokiness.
    What a lovely example of food evolving to be healthier… and deliciouser!
    What a sad story of your jeans though 😉 you will have to say good bye to them soon.
    So glad that fisherman survived okay, and I completely agree re sustainable fishing.

LJoyce, so glad you can give your aunt and uncle such beautiful home made treats.

Okay, running off in a very slow way (making snorty-growl noises as I go).

Best wishes everyone.

Sorry for the sacrilege Penguin, but at least we smoked you out.

Cinque, I looked it up. It was a yarn bombing attempt in Bridgetown. Not quite sure what that means but I did see a lot of crocheted squares. Disappointing for your DD not to have smashed out some sales. But a good way to gauge the market. Have a good rest and take it easy. Maybe you can postpone the three busy days?

Hi everyone

First day of B2B for this week. So far so good. I haven’t been even the slightest bit hungry but I have my konjac noodles and miso paste ready to make a quick cuppa soup. I have just realised something else about 5:2. On my FD’s I was eating my miso noodle soup at my lunch hour which is 12:30 even though I wasn’t really hungry. By about 3pm I was really really hungry so I have decided to wait until I am actually hungry today. This will help me get through that afternoon hunger time I think.

thin, I think the whales were humpbacks. They are the the most common type we see around here. Our boat is about 5.3 metres or 17 foot. It is the perfect size for us as it is usually only us two fishing in it. It’s small enough for me to launch it but big enough to go out deep sea fishing in. I actually back the ute down the boat ramp and push it off and also vice versa when it is time to retrieve it. OH gets to stay in the boat! He does hop out and winch it up most of the way when we are retrieving it as it gets a bit too much for me.

I have lots of fishing stories to tell you all. One that comes to mind was the day we were fishing in our river. I actually saw a black snake swimming across the top of the water. It was a lovely warm sunny day and we were relaxing in the sun. I was fishing down the back of the boat while OH was a little closer to the front. Next thing I hear OH swear and say to me ‘Hun, don’t move. Just stay where you are.’
    I turned around and looked over towards him and there was the black snake curled up on the top of the boat’s wall on his side. Needless to say I didn’t stay where I was but ran straight up to the front of the boat as far away as I could from the snake. The snake was pretty docile as I think it was cold from being in the water. OH just used the end of his rod to flick it off back into the water where it promptly swam away. There was a kayaker fishing right near us and he saw us flick the snake in and said “I’m outta here, that snake will be straight up into my kayak” He pedalled his kayak away very quickly!! I watched the snake and it swam all the way to the island so it made it to somewhere safe. I would never want to harm it but I also don’t want it in the boat with me!!! lol

Another time were fishing in the river again but this time in our own kayak. I saw another snake crossing the creek in front of us but a fair way away. It still scared me though as I remembered back to the other incident. I definitely don’t want one in the kayak with us. I think I would be the one out swimming in that case!!

Take care everyone and I hope you all have a lovely day.

Tune in later for the next episode of Quacka’s fishing tales…… 😉

Good afternoon all.

Penguin, your smoked kippers sound more inviting than the tinned variety but I’ve never seen the traditional kippers here. You described them being soaked in water and I recalled seeing a history documentary where they showed jugged kippers – a tall earthenware jug filled with water and then a pile of kippers pushed head first into it with just their tails sticking out.

As I’ve mentioned I’m not a fish fan, but smoked cod has always been available here and growing up it was the only fish (apart from tinned tuna) that I would eat. I’d forgotten that until you started talking about all the different smoked fish. I have also found that we can now get packages of smoked ocean trout fillets here – really nice in a summer salad, but hideously expensive. (This is the type of thing I’ve bought before: https://shop.coles.com.au/a/a-national/product/yumis-trout-smoked ) I might need to see what else I can find that’s smoked.

Thin, well done on the pun.

Cinque, I suspect you daughter already knows about these but she could try “etsy” and “madeit” as a way to sell her crochet. https://www.etsy.com/au/ https://madeit.com.au/ Someone I used to work with makes children’s clothing and sells them on etsy – it started very small, but keeps her quite busy these days.

Quacka, I find the same thing on FDs, hunger usually hits in the afternoon not lunch time.
    Good fishing tale – that’s one way to get someone paddling fast. 😀

The infusion was delayed as the nurse didn’t have the right paperwork and that had to be sent through (they need a written authority from the rheumatologist to administer the drug). It eventually got sorted out and I had my infusion. Although the tiredness is definitely creeping over me now, I managed to do the grocery shopping after the nurse left. Although it wasn’t on my list, all that talk about eggplant had me buying some! I have a bit of slow cooked beef & veg ragu left in the freezer so I’m thinking that they would go together nicely as a moussaka.

I took today’s photo this morning after I’d taken the rissoles out of the freezer to thaw. https://imgur.com/zWEBF65 However, I have to amend it already as I got hungry again a few minutes ago and had a couple of slices of cheddar cheese with a handful of rice crackers. My plan was actually: 4 premium crackers for breakfast (because I feel better if I eat before the infusion). A bowl of muesli, bran, blueberries, banana, kefir & almond milk for lunch. A handful of strawberries as a snack and 2 chicken-veg rissoles with salad for dinner. I would normally prefer to make a burger with one rissole, the salad veg and a wholemeal roll, however my other meals today contain a lot of grain foods so I really needed to focus on protein and veg for dinner to get a bit of balance back into the day.

Have a good day everyone. Good luck to the fasters, especially Quacka who’s doing B2B. I’ll be doing my second FD Thursday, but I do plan to do a lower cal CD tomorrow and possibly Friday. I’m still worried about the damage that’s likely from high tea this Saturday.

Hi everyone,

I need to read backwards, but I did note last week that Thin diid post 17,000!

Quick check-in: Starting FD at 65.1kgs

LJ. I know I am old, but I didn’t think I was old enough for my habits to be in a history documentary!

Penguin – if I remember correctly it was one of those shows where they cooked meals from centuries ago. Well before your time. It must just be a way of preparing kippers that’s lasted the test of time.

Hi Merry good luck with that FD.

LJ. Well dodged.

Penguin, in my previous working life I was well known for my ability to soothe ruffled feathers – although I never had to tackle a penguin’s plumage!

Merry, I noticed that milestone too.

Quacka, those were both snake stories not fishing stories and for future reference need to come with a thin alert, “warning: snake story” please. I’ll be having nightmares now.

Good Morning Southern Hemispheres,

This is such an interactive and interesting group! I’m enjoying all the posts. I’m making steady progress and encouraged by that.

I just have a few minutes this morning. Hubby and I are enjoying a long weekend outing to celebrate our August anniversary. Today we are kayaking down the Suwanee River in northern Florida USA. Stephen Foster, a famous USA song writer, wrong a famous song about the Suwanee River. Tomorrow we are touring a huge park established in his honor.

I’m working on learning to keep on a 5:2 regimen when traveling. Hmmm… Have a good day.
    Blessings,
    Rainbow Quill

Penguin, great to see you back here again! I was wondering where you ran off to. 😎

LJ, you food for today looks really appetizing. I keep meaning to make some rissoles but haven’t tried them yet. Today’s a FD, but maybe I’ll make some for OH with enough leftovers for tomorrow.

I made stuffed capsicum peppers on Saturday and used mostly lentils, barley and red quinoa mixed together to stuff them. I added basil, oregano, onions, garlic, salt and pepper to the stuffing, but I should have added more of all. They tasted kind of bland. Extra salt made them better though. I cooked them in tomato sauce in the Instant Pot put had to really cram them in. I cooked the lentils and grains beforehand in the rice cooker so the only thing that needed to cook were the capsicum themselves. Because they were stuffed in there so tight (5 of them) they ended up taking about half an hour to cook. Next time I need to go heavier on the herbs and spices and perhaps cook the stuffing ingredients a bit longer and add extra water so they stick together better.

Rainbow, I used to love Stephen Foster’s music as a child. I still do, but just haven’t heard it in a while. I just told Alexa to play music by Stephen Foster and am listening to Suwanee River as I’m typing. Kayaking down the river sounds like a fun way to celebrate your anniversary. I hope you have a wonderful time.

Thin, congrats on the 17,000th post! 👍🏻

Cinque, hope your 3 busy days offer at least a little rest. After 3 days with the Little Miss, you probably need it.

Snake warning Thin! My DD (a journalist) was covering floods out west a few years ago and was taken out in a tinny by the mayor and SES to look at the damage. After a very short ride up the flooded river the boat abruptly turned around and headed back to the bank. It wasn’t until after she got out that they told her they had spotted a brown snake curled up under her legs (she had her feet up on a box). The locals decided it would panic my DD if they told her, so got her off he boat before they did.
    A great FD, and backing up with another today. I plan to eat mid-afternoon so I’ll have a 16 hour fast and can eat in the Qantas Club before our early flight thus avoided airline food. That’s the plan anyway.
    How are you after your babysitting marathon Cinque? Happy but tired?
    Nice to see you posting again Penguin – my Glaswegian husband knew all about those kippers!
    Quacka loved your post and your boating stories.
    OK time to hang out the washing before heading off for my last day at work for a while – my OH just can’t understand why we need to change the sheets before we travel ….but he helped me anyway.

Good morning everyone,
    After such a warm winter, where nothing has died back and the strawberries kept flowering, we got down under 2C last night and forecast lower still tonight! I had towels and scarves around my pots to protect the roots, and also sheets over them, like I rig up in the hottest weather. They mightn’t have been needed, but at least everything is happy this morning!

Rainbow, lovely to have your update, and what a great way to spend a long weekend! Happy anniversary! I grew up with the song, but never realised the river name wasn’t ‘Swanee’. Suwanee is a beautiful name.
    Good luck fitting 5:2 in with travelling.

Thin, fishing stories are rarely about fish! 😉

And yarn bombing is great fun!

None of my three busy days are going to be as bad as I thought they might be, but on the other hand, recovering from the first three days is consuming me. I am sorry to say that I got the tired munchies and the tired can’t-do-the-good-things so I am going straight into a Fast Day today, and am going to spend the morning making a big pot of soup (veggie and chickpeas). That feels so good!

Quacka, great idea to keep your soup until you are hungry.

LJoyce my daughter has an Etsy stall and does make enough from it to cover her expenses and a little more. Here is it is so you can see the kind of things she makes: https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/RoseyCheeksHandmade

I do hope the infusion after effects have been small and easy this time.

I’m getting hungry for eggplants too! Yes, moussaka, yum. (Hey Cinque, you are fasting today, and maybe tomorrow too!).

Merry, are you still reading through all the posts? Ha, I hope you are doing all the good things and having an excellent day.

Cali, don’t those stuffed peppers demand big flavours! I add chili and I often do them with Middle Eastern flavourings, so cumin and cinnamon, or ras el hanout. (When I say often, I haven’t made them for a couple of years! Another one to put on my list of things to make!)

Lindsay, it is SO good to come home to clean sheets! Enjoy your last day at work for a while and have a great flight and the best fun in Bali!
    Good decision by the SES re the snake !

Well, I’m off to do all the good things. This mainly means I’ll potter around gently with rests in between. Best wishes for your day everyone!

Just a quick one – Cinque you told us the name of your DD’s Etsy site – but for the life of me can’t find it, and I think she will have some lovely things for our little girls for their Europe trip.

Good morning everyone, and afternoon, evening or sleeping well penguin and Mrs P, CaliD and Rainbow Quill, welcome to you. Hello to any readers, lurkers, and prospective newbie 5:2ers as well.

Rainbow- ask away if you have any questions. I see you have 5:2’d for a few weeks before, but you will definitely find it easier with people to bounce things off, and to get info from.

We are a mix of ‘been doing it for a few months ‘ through to ‘been doing it for a few years’. Those of us maintaining are still here because we find that companionship helps us all. Some of us are amazing at keeping track of what everyone’s doing, and some of us, (putting up hand gingerly) end up finding out what’s happening but can’t keep the names and doings attached to each other.

Here, Swanee River, without the u, was in My First Piano Tunes books decades ago.

Snake alert: Lindsay – OMG, a brown. For you honorary Aussies, this one’s aggressive, and doesn’t do the usual slink off into the undergrowth to get away from you stuff. That said, I kicked OH in the leg during a
    ‘snake’ dream last night. More than once, he tells me. If you got this far Thin, I remember a certain incident on Rottnest Island.

That said, most Aussies live in cities and mostly see snakes in a zoo, or a snake education display somewhere.

Off to the hairdressers – back later.

Hi Lindsay,
    The Etsy Shop is Rosey Cheeks Handmade https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/RoseyCheeksHandmade

And Rose says that if there is something you like you can get a mum’s friend discount by using the code
    MATESRATES
    (I don’t understand quite how it works, but she says she has made a coupon for it)
    And she also said that if anyone else wants to use it they can too.

PS Hi Merry, have a lovely haircut!

Good morning SHs.

My eating last night got a bit out of control. I did eat the planned meal. Then I also made a little bread and butter pudding in a small ramekin, baked it and ate it! I then lay awake for hours trying to figure out why I’d done it. I think in part it’s because I’ve always treated infusion day as a NFD when I can have what I like. (Because I always fast the day before.) I suspect it is also because I’ve spent a few days thinking about how to use those spare egg yolks and baked custard and bread and butter pudding were some of the ideas that occurred to me. Once an idea like that is in my head it’s hard to shake off.

I’m having a quiet day at home today, and I’ll head off for a long walk shortly. I have puled my one remaining ziploc bag of ragu out of the freezer and will bake my eggplant and zucchini slices and construct the moussaka this afternoon. It will only be a small one (2-3 serves) because I won’t be able to safely freeze leftovers.

Today is a controlled NFD. I don’t have photos as I have to make the meals yet. I take photos throughout the day and post them tonight. My plan is for a lunchtime smoothie: blueberry, kefir, almond milk, psyllium, inulin powder, vanilla, nutmeg and ice. Dinner will be moussaka. If I need a snack it will be either strawberries or a small banana.

Rainbow Quill, it sounds like you are having a lovely time for your anniversary. And yes trying to do 5:2 when you aren’t in your own kitchen can be a challenge. I usually resort to just eating one meal (which is what I do at home on a FD anyway), and choose a low cal option that I think will be within my 500 calories.
    I had the same reaction as Cinque to your story about the Suwanee River. I also know the song and thought it was Swanee.

Cali, are they called “rissoles” over your way or burgers? Even in Australia they are often called burgers these days – we’ve been Americanised. I still call them rissoles when I’m having them on their own. It distinguishes them from a burger which I consider to include things like a bun and salad and capable of being eaten with my hands rather than a knife and fork.
    Rissoles are one of those meaty vehicles that can hide a lot of veg – especially from family members who don’t eat enough of them. My rissoles (and meatballs) are always at least 50% veg. As long as I put the veg in the food processor and mince it up you can’t tell it’s there – although orange veg will usually retain some of its colour and be visible. Eggplant, onion, zucchini and mushrooms hide themselves really well and seem to take on the colour of the meat. I find that to get the flavour right, I add Massel beef stock powder. (This is a brand of vegan stock powders https://imgur.com/nfS5RmB .) Because I am trying to get people to believe that the meatball or rissole is actually beef I add 1 teaspoon of beef stock powder for every 500g of veg that I’m using instead of minced beef (or chicken stock powder if I’m making a chicken rissole). I still add other spices and herbs, but the stock powder stops them tasting bland and makes it difficult to tell them apart from a very meaty version of the same thing. The stock powder does contain quite a lot of salt, so you don’t need extra.
    I do a similar thing with bolognese or beef ragu – it’s 80% veg and 20% beef but you’d never know it from the rich beefy flavour (also helped along with worcestershire sauce). Personally I don’t mind the taste of the veggies themselves, but if I’m serving them to others I find a bit of beefy stock powder subterfuge works a treat.

Cinque, thanks for the etsy link. I love that baby bear beanie. Are your grand daughters the models?
    Enjoy that soup – I’m just imagining it now – I love chickpeas, definitely my favourite legume.

Merry, I can concur about the snakes. I grew up in a country town and saw lots of snakes there. Although I hear plenty of stories from others about seeing snakes in the suburbs, I’m yet to see one myself.

Lindsay, good food plan four your travel day. I’m not commenting on the snake story – I’m not as bad an Thin but I don’t care for snakes either.

Thin, good morning, Penguin, good evening. Anyone else who’s reading but not posting, hello.

Time for a walk now.

Thanks Cinque – I knew it had rose in the name, but when I went to the site, there were 387 sellers which included ‘rose’. Mission accomplished! (I didn’t use the coupon – such a beautiful purchase, and already very well priced – but thank you for the offer).
    LJ I don’t know why we do these things either – why did I have 2 (small) pieces of cake at arvo tea at my DD’s – an early Father’s Day for OH as we’ll be away? But it does sound like you don’t like waste – even if it goes into something you’d rather not eat. I bet it was delicious – so as long as you enjoyed it (as I did) I don’t think it’s such a bad thing.
    Merry I love a good suburban snake – only the python variety, admittedly. My DD saw a largish one in the same spot every day for a fortnight on her walk by the bus with the little one to school – when I went to have a look, it had moved on. I was very disappointed.

Back from my walk. The route I intended to take was blocked by the railway station redevelopment. They’d blocked a lot of the footpaths, so I took their detour and decided to just see where I ended up. I found some new streets I hadn’t been down before. As many of them curved around I did end up getting my phone out when I decided to head for home, just to make sure I was going in the right direction. I went a bit too far though and my knee is complaining bitterly at the moment. I’m about to try and pacify it with a nice cup of tea – it always makes things better.

Lindsay, the bread and butter pudding was delicious – it’s one of my favourite baked puddings and I hadn’t had it at all this winter. Hope you enjoyed the cake too.
    In a normal week I wouldn’t have been concerned about this treat on NFD, but I’m trying to have a careful week to prepare for high tea on Saturday which will certainly involve more calories than my body needs.

Can you please stop it! Every post now contains the word ‘snake’! Yes, Merry, I still skip a heartbeat thinking about that Rottnest snake having the cheek to join me on my beach towel. C’mon Penguin, I’m sure you’ve seen an adder while digging the garden?

Those handmade items are gorgeous, Cinque. I was going to ask the same about the models. What sweet little girls. I love that 4 y/o cardigan. Has Rose thought of making any pet coats? (For Chihuahuas, not Great Danes.)

LJ, I could imagine myself doing the same thing so as to avoid the food waste. But last night I did something worse. I did the big shop yesterday, smugly avoiding buying anything unhealthy. Later, after a delicious salmon dinner, OH thought it would be cleansing for the palate to have some Connoisseur ice cream and I readily went along with it specifying that it should be vanilla. He arrived back a few minutes later with sugary caramel or something totally incompatible with fish and I, of course, ate it anyway. Just when I’d got back to 60kg, I sabotaged it. And now I just want the rest of it gone so I can put the indiscretion behind me. Which means we’ll probably be having it tonight as well. Have I made you feel any better? So annoyed with myself.

Enjoy your anniversary Rainbow.

Thin, it didn’t make me feel better, just sympathy for someone else with food issues too.
    I think I’ve figured out what to do with the remaining egg yolks. I might make a batch of hollandaise or bernaise sauce, then freeze it in small portions. I know it will separate when thawed, but if I stray from the original recipe and add a teaspoon of either corn or plain flour it should stabalise it.

Sorry Thin 😞.

Talking about desserts, (and let’s not do that too much either please everyone) dessert is exceedingly rare in our house. I’ve just had a very late lunch, and was having a banana as part of my 2 fruits for the day. Reading about your desserts reminded me of a good dessert – banana cooked in the skin. So here is my recipe – and remember any cooking genes I had ran away and hid a looong time ago.

Banana Dessert

1. Take a small ripe banana( mine was 135grams in the skin). Cut a slit from top to bottom on 1 side. Cut 2 small slits crosswise at 90 degrees to the long slit, at either end of banana.

2. Put it cut side up on a plate in microwave. Cook on high for 1m 15seconds.

3. Eat hot with a spoon, straight out of the skin, accompanied by a couple of pieces of walnut.

Voila – yummy sin free dessert.

Quick check-in: Forgot to weigh this morning after FD. My weigh-in at the Ex Physiologist on Fri was 0.5kg down from the week before. On his records I have 2.5kgs left to lose to reach the lowest weight I’ve recorded there. Originally I set my wriggle room as 2kgs either side of my goal weight, which was 62.0kgs. When I reach it again, I’m going to reset my wriggle room as 1.5kgs (3 1/2lbs). 1kg either side of goal weight seems too tight, and 2kgs gives too much leeway. When I see that in lbs I know I would have thought that a huge amount to allow when I was young. Now I’m much more aware of how my weight can jump up and down over a much wider margin than I’d thought. Doing the trouser test – my favourite pair (12)and nicely loosish, and in another 6weeks or so I’ll be in the size 10 pair comfortably.

Thin – a very sincere congratulations to your daughter for her wonderful achievement after all those years of study. Well done, she will make a great vet whichever area she goes into.
    And well done Mum, for all the great support.

Cheers all,
    Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

PS egg yolks can go in the compost .

Wow, such kind words Merry, thank you! Still another four months to go, DD finishes on 21 December. Her year group started this as a 6 year course which was subsequently changed to 5 years and someone thought it would also be a good idea to throw in a doctorate component for good measure. Interestingly, Sydney uni, where she was also offered a place, was then offering a 5 year course but subsequently changed theirs to a 6 year course. Anyway, that’s the reason they’ve had to work extra hard with no time off during the past two years.

Merry, I cannot believe that banana thing. So I am going to try it shortly. I can’t help thinking it will explode in the microwave and you are going to say, ‘April Fool’.

Merry, LJ will not be able to put egg yolks into the compost!

It sounds like you have done exceedingly well maintaining your weight. You mentioned recently that you’re coming up for four years also. And, by Christmas, you will be wearing size 10 pants. That’s definitely something to celebrate. For those that don’t know, Merry has persevered with IF while dealing with a chronic illness and a string of stressful life events. And, she looks about 20 years younger than she claims to be. Thanks for being here to inspire us, Merry.

I finally have some photos for today’s food. I changed the plan because I’d gotten to 3pm and still didn’t feel like a smoothie, so I had what appealed to me.
    https://imgur.com/a/iw3rqEu
    My very late lunch was yoghurt with strawberries and blueberries. Dinner will be my adapted version of moussaka. I included a pre-assembly shot of all the components. Only a small amount of the beef & veg ragu and many different veggie layers. I would normally top it with bechamel, but I didn’t feel like making any. I used plenty of cheese as the meal would be a bit low on protein otherwise.
    It’s hard to get an idea of scale in these photos, but I’m treating this as 3 serves – and they won’t be that large. I don’t intend to serve extra veg with them – they are already over 80% veg.

I have some cookery books by Jane Grigson – one is called “Fruit” and the other “Vegetables”. Each book alphabetically works through each fruit or vegetable and provides many varied recipes for each. These are enormously helpful for those with a veggie garden or fruit trees, wondering what to turn all that produce into. Most of the recipes come from the many cuisines across Europe.
    Something I remember her saying is that many countries in Europe have their own version of the Greek moussaka (or any dish that layers vegetables with a meat sauce). They tend to use the vegetables common to their country – so the colder countries use things like carrots and cauliflower. It’s where I discovered that I don’t have to stick with the traditional eggplant and potato layers in the Greek version, but can use whatever is in season that I happen to have in the fridge. I find this particularly useful in winter when good eggplants are hard to find, but when a hot baked dish like moussaka is best enjoyed.
    Tonight I will bake the small round casserole in the airfryer. The larger one is in the fridge and I’ll bake it in the oven tomorrow night, with a spare serve ready to be reheated Friday night.

Hi Merry, I didn’t know you could cook a banana that way in the microwave, although I have seen them split open and barbequed – they were delicious.

Snake alert. Thin, there are Adders near here but you have to go looking for them. They don’t often bite people and when they do it is usually on the hand or lower arm, so Rule 1 – don’t pick them up. By your standards they are not very venomous. It is about 40 years since an adult died from an Adder bite. It used to be more frequent but they are not as numerous as they were and fewer people live in their territory.

LJoyce, I think “rissoles” are an Australian recipe, but I remember you and others talking about them here some time ago and they sounded like a good idea. I looked up some recipes but then forgot about making them. Burgers are usually just minced beef with maybe a few onions mixed in, although onions are usually cooked separately. In recent years there have been veggie burgers though, so I guess anything goes. I’ve also seen turkey burgers. And they are almost always served with a bun and condiments. Without the bun they would be called a beef patty. Rissoles look like they’re usually thicker and some recipes show them almost like a slightly flattened meatball. I like the idea of mixing in lots of vegetables. Some recipes mix in bread crumbs too. The vegetables would make the calorie content less too.

Cinque, your daughter’s creations are beautiful! She is so talented. (And the models are adorable!)

Thin, I’m afraid of snakes too, at least if they are moving quickly. I’d be terrified to see one in the water where they’re probably very fast. (Now I’m going to have nightmares!)

Cali, because veggies release so much water while they cook, you really do need to add breadcrumbs (or something similar) to absorb that moisture. otherwise it’s hard to get them brown and they have a tendency to fall apart. I usually mix the veg and minced meat together first, then just enough breadcrumbs or dry couscous to get a mixture that holds together well. I also sometimes add a little olive oil to the mixture as it helps them cook nicely and I prefer to use very lean meat so there’s little fat in the mixture.

Cali, I should also say that some of the old rissole recipes use leftover roast that you mince up. Because you are using a meat that is already cooked I find them very dry. If you are perusing recipes I’d suggest you ignore those that use pre-cooked meat.

Rissoles are British as well. If I do them they consist of minced cold meat left overs, some softened onions, herbs, spices, mashed potato. Rolled into burger type shapes, dusted in flour or breadcrumbs and fried.

Barbecued bananas. Yes, done in their skin, then opened and served with vanilla ice cream and possibly a fruit liqueur.

Are we having an unhealthy day?

Good Morning HMs,

We are spending a little time in our hotel room before another day enjoying the sights. So I have about 10 minutes to write.

Help! I’m finding learning to FD while traveling is a whole new skill–whether it is a feed day or fast day. I am not sure how to “not eat” and still enjoy traveling because eating new things in new places is part of the fun of traveling for me. But figuring out how much and when to eat is not so easy with such a flexible and unpredictable schedule of events and eating.

For example, hubby enjoys a good steak (and so do I), so last evening we decided to eat at a steak house. Before the meal, and while I was still really hungry, they brought a whole basket of these amazing homemade yeast rolls along with tubs of whipped cinnamon-honey-butter topping. They were so yummy! Before I even realized it, I ate three rolls slathered with that sweet rich topping. When I got back to the room and used my tracker, I discovered I had gone way over my basic caloric needs for the day.

I’m open to any tips you might have. I still have a couple days left and do not want to undo the progress I have made so far. Also, for the next few months we are going to be doing 2-3 day trips, so I need to figure this out. I definitely have a lot to learn to make this FD work over the long term.

RainbowQuill

Hi Rainbow,

It can be done! I’ve written travel lists several times on several threads but I don’t know how to find them, darn it. There are plenty of strategies, but I’m up way too late already.

To start:
    *Don’t eat breakfast unless you really can’t cope with not. If you do – boiled egg + piece of fruit.
    *share plates
    *2 starters instead of starter and main
    *share dessert
    * don’t, but don’t eat the accompanying chips
    *get sauce on the side

More ttomorrow

Rainbow, Merry has some great suggestions. I always order salad dressing on the side as well. Some restaurants pour on so much that the greens are swimming in it, gasping for breath! If the trip is only 2 – 3 days, why not just switch your FDs to days when you’re home? I usually just eat whatever I want when traveling but try to be mindful. I’m not much of a breakfast eater anyway, so skipping breakfast is easy. 2 starters is a great idea.

Merry, I forgot to say thank you for the cooked banana idea. I never thought of doing that. We eat lots of bananas around here.

I wonder if there is a way to make a vegan rissole? I’m still eating meat and dairy but ever since making the sloppy Joe’s and stuffed peppers with the brown lentils, barley and quinoa, I’m keen to find a way to make those three (or just the lentils and barley) stick together a little better so they could be shaped into patties or “meatballs”. Ground walnuts help a little, but that ups the calories quite a bit. Any ideas? It would be for NFDs. So far, adding more water and cooking them longer seems to help some. Perhaps some type of flour other than white flour…

Penguin, your rissoles sound delicious. I didn’t realize they were British too. The ice cream and fruit liquor on the bananas sounds really good – for NFDs. Or even a little port.

Good morning everyone,
    Coldest night all year, and a glorious sunny morning here.

That is interesting about burgers being in a bun, Cali. Makes sense, I have seen a thing about how hamburgers came about.
    I think we call the veggie ones veggie burgers because they appeared in our shops that way (also a U.S. invention?). But I have never eaten a bought one I liked and always made my own. Here is what I wrote about them on our recipe thread: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/southern-hemispherites-fd-recipes/#post-116239
    Because I don’t like them claggy, and the vegan ones use clag (flours and moisture) to hold them together, I will stick with the ones that use egg and cheese. But if I was to work on a vegan one, I’d go down the felafel track, where soaked, UNCOOKED beans and chickpeas are used, ground up with onion, herbs and spices. I think they would hold together better.

Thanks for the lovely feedback about my daughters Etsy shop, she will be so happy to have your sale Lindsay. Yes, the little darlings are her models, and you even see her and her OH as beanie models. I love that bear beanie too!

I made the hugest pot of veggie soup. So pleased, I have some frozen, and plenty in the fridge. Great Fast Day yesterday. ‘Normal’ day today. Might fast again tomorrow. Not sure yet, but I have just had a lovely breakfast.

Off to make coffee and I will be back for part 2!

Rainbow, I agree, it has to be worked out if we’re to embrace IF long-term. All good suggestions from Merry and CalifD. I’ll add that, when I’m just going for a local restaurant meal, I always check the menu online beforehand and decide what I’m having so there won’t be any impulsive decisions driven by what others order. In Australia, we don’t have to worry about freebies coming to the table! When travelling overseas (or where sampling the food is part of the fun), I enjoy what I want on a NFD because we’re very active when travelling. Over time, you might find that ‘what you want’ changes. Fast Days are Fast Days though, I wouldn’t even attempt to reconcile a restaurant meal with 500 calories. When we plan lengthy trips, I try to incorporate some self-catering accommodation so I can have more control over food.

Cinque, I made the mung bean soup last night after soaking the beans for 24 hours. It was the best one yet; lots of depth of flavour. And a good result on the scales. I was hoping I’d be joining you in a FD today but now I see you’ve switched to ADF just to keep us on our toes.

Sad news about the orphaned dolphin, Splash. It, too, died from severe injuries sustained from fishing line entanglement. The photos are horrible.

Morning Thin,
    So sorry to hear about the poor baby dolphin.

I had thought about fasting today but I was swayed by leftovers (dolmades, veg curry) in the fridge saying insistently “Do you really think we will last another day?”
    So I will eat them up today, and some soup and have a nice empty fridge that will let me fast tomorrow.

Ooh your soup sounds even better than mine!

Somehow my coffee has gone already! It was lovely though.

Penguin, haha, you are turning the bananas wicked! My old recipe was wicked too, with a Carribean sauce that was like runny rum toffee. Just stick to the fruit folks!

Rainbow, sending lots of good wishes. My only tip is Think Ahead (using Merry et al’s tips and anything else you think of) and try not to beat yourself up too much when things go awry. It is all a learning experience, and 5:2 is up your sleeve, waiting patiently.

Had to laugh though, what a wicked offering! The rolls would be bad enough, but that honey butter is just like ‘how many calories can we squeeze in one topping?’ I do hope you remember your enjoyment, because you might never eat one again.

Ok, somehow it is 10am already! Off to try and get my house into some sort of order. Best wishes everyone!

Good Morning all

Well B2B didn’t quite work for me this week. I woke up with a yukky yukky head cold yesterday and I still thought I could do a FD so I gave it a go. I was doing well all day just a chicken stock, mushroom and konjac noodle soup for lunch. I went home early due to feeling so gross.
    That’s where it fell apart. I was only a couple of hours from dinner but was sooooo hungry. I ate some of OH’s pork that I made for his lunches. Then I ate some ‘shapes’ (horrid things I don’t usually eat even on a NFD day). Then I ate some ham and two cups of tea. I was still searching around for food when I gave myself a good talking to. The chicken curry I had made on Sunday was ready to go and all I had to do was prepare some cauliflower broccoli rice and I also chopped up some bok choy to go in the curry. I ended up eating some of the broccoli stalk (which I love and OH hates) and also some raw cauliflower. I felt better after that.
    Around and hour later I put the curry on to heat, cooked the ‘rice’ and was ready to eat. When I served my dinner I left most of the chicken for OH and served my self the veggies and ate them with the cauliflower rice. I am sure the calories would have been a lot lower than if I ate lots of the chicken, plus I already snacked on plenty of protein. I estimate around 700 calories for the day.

So weigh in this morning 69.7kg, 100 grams down from last week’s weigh in after B2B (I think I also cheated last week). I am reconsidering B2B at the moment. I think if I wasn’t sick I would have had more resolve to not snack yesterday afternoon. I am going to see how I am feeling next week and decide then if I am going to do a B2B then. Otherwise it is separate FD’s for the week.

Today – a CD of eating. I want to stay around 700 calories again 🙂
    I have the konjac noodle meal thingy I mentioned last week. I didn’t end up eating it that day so I get to try it today. I also have some parmesan cheese to have with it as the meal is a “vegan napoli”. I am going to eat a kiwi fruit later this afternoon and then dinner will be my leftover veggie and tuna rissoles (or patties) with salad.Tomorrow a NFD.

I would like to be in the 68kg numbers next week :):)

Cali I was reading up on vegan rissoles last night actually. I saw a recipe that had some rice and chickpeas mashed together to make a paste and then some other things added to it. In the reviews a few people said to use a food processor as it saves mashing to make the paste. I will try and find the recipe again and post it here for you. I’m not sure if you could use tofu instead of egg but I do not some people make like a scrambled egg with the silky tofu. I would think it would have to be well pressed to remove the water.

Ok I best go. I need a cup of tea with almond coconut milk. Take care xx

https://www.marthastewart.com/1050533/chickpea-brown-rice-veggie-burger

Haven’t done this before so I hope it works. This is the link for the veggie burger (pattie) Cali

Oh and Rainbow what I often do when eating away from home is order two starters like Merry said and I never have dessert (not a sweet eater). The main problem I have had is getting the restaurant to understand that I want the entrees as my main meal so bring them out with OH’s meal. I often get mine served, which I usually get OH to eat some of, while OH is still waiting for his! Make a point of saying you would like them all served together, even if you have to repeat yourself 🙂

Viewing 50 posts - 17,051 through 17,100 (of 28,029 total)

You must be logged in to reply.