Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,928 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  Lindsay L. 6 hours, 47 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 15,251 through 15,300 (of 28,032 total)

• Hello again 🙂 I caught lots of fish thin, even out fishing the OH this time LOL

Good luck with your first FD Nancy 🙂

Thanks Paula for your advice about the referral to an endocrinologist. I hope she will get one

Hi PVE, so nice to meet you and thank you so much for coming in and giving me some more information. It is amazing that something so simple has worked to reverse the diabetes. My friend has told me that she needs to eat carbs with every meal (as advised by her doctor). Having researched the effect of carbs on our blood sugar, I struggle to understand why she has been told this. I will be trying to talk to her again and hopefully I manage to get through this time.

Thank you to everyone for your support. You really are an awesome group :):)

Sadly, Quacker, Diabetes Aust continues to hand out very old information. Tell your friend to look at Dr Jason Fung’s blog online. He has done a massive amount of work on fasting and diabetes.
    Cheers P.

Good morning SHs,

Early start today as I was woken at 7am by the construction crew working next door. Trying to get one more hour in bed seemed pointless with all the banging.

Nancy, hope four first fast day goes well.

Paula, When I started 5:2 I found myself eating things because I knew I wouldn’t be able to tomorrow when fasting. It doesn’t take much to eat enough extras to cancel out the 2 FDs. I started reminding myself that it was just one day, and I would have food choices again the day after. It took me a while to get out of diet thinking – a binge of all the things I won’t be able to have before starting a new diet is an old pattern of mine. It took a little time to change my thinking for 5:2 where normal food is never more than a day away.
    I would also recommend taking some body measurement – they can show your progress when the scales aren’t.

I’m just starting my third NFD in a row. I really felt like I should be fasting this morning, but swapping isn’t an option as I have my abatacept infusion on Thursday so I need to fast tomorrow to minimise the side effects.

Have a good day all.

Good morning everyone. It is interesting that sometimes this thread gallops along, and sometimes it is a nice amble.

Nancy, sending lots of good wishes for your first Fast Day today! Hopefully you will be like me and get to the end of the day and say ‘Wow, this feels really good! Fast days suit me!’

Paula, how lovely to have your daughter doing 5:2 with you. It should make it so much more fun! Don’t worry about those irritating scales. They are evil machines with a nasty sense of humour. Just keep going and notice your clothes getting looser. The low fibre diet must make everything so much more difficult.
    Being a bit of a perfectionist may work to your advantage though, as you will keep working out how to perfect your fast days until you have them fitting brilliantly into your life.

Quakka, well done that irritation with the car problem didn’t make you spit the dummy and eat a packet of timtams (or equivalent). Hooray for cups of tea. I bet you feel great this morning. Glad your car has its new battery now. Yes, it could have been worse!

I hope bridge evening was fun, Thin.
    Hi Purple, thanks for sharing your OH’s experience. Hooray for 5:2.
    LJoyce, how nice to have got the morning tasks done and then afternoon tea with a best friend.

Quacka, hopefully the ‘carbs with every meal’ are low GI ones that are the whole grains, beans and lentils, and root vegetables. My favourite carbs!

It is a beautiful morning here again and it even rained enough this morning that I don’t need to water my garden. And it is so happy to have sky water instead of watering can water!

Best wishes everyone for a wonderful day.

Paula, I think it helps if you embrace the FDs as something really healthy happening for your body rather than a day of ‘starving’ yourself. Don’t worry, it all comes naturally with more practice. Those last minute snacks the night before a FD will soon be a thing of the past and you’ll probably find you won’t eat anything after dinner. After a while, I came to enjoy the discipline required for fasting and often feel quite smug being able to forego food regardless of what life is throwing at me or what others around me are eating. For me, a fast day is a fast day is a fast day. I just love this way of life.

All the best today Nancy.

Fishing sounds a productive past-time, Quacka. I hope your friend gets the right advice.

What’s rain Cinque?

We finally had heavy rain overnight in Sydney too. The plants will be thrilled, if not a bit shocked 😉P

Hi everyone. Sorry I have been absent for so many days. I got home from the 5 day business trip late last night and think I caught some sort of bug or at least a bad cold. I hope it passes quickly. It’s good to be home and to be back here.

I’ve been reading all the posts but just getting the time now to reply. Welcome to the thread, Paula! And good to see you back Quaka. Paula, as time goes on, FD will seem like a very normal thing to you and the urge to eat a lot the day prior will disappear. After all, this isn’t really a diet, it’s just 1 day of fasting and not even a real fast since you’re still eating 500 calories. I hardly even think about it anymore except to make sure I have my usual FD foods available. I have a few things that I like to eat on FDs that are fairly filling and that I like. I usually eat those same foods or similar because for me, they work. You’ll likely find a few FD favorites too, as time goes on. Good luck to you.

LJoyce, it sounds like you’re close to the end of your reno tasks. What a big relief for you it will be when everything is finished! Happy to hear it is all going so well.

Thin, I hope the situation next door is finally really resolved. It will be interesting to see what they do with the house. Maybe they’ll sell it.

I’m going to go and lie down again. Hope you are all having a good day.

Hi all…..yes im still here lurking in the background. So many new posters i feel really out of touch.

MissD’s party and our holiday were great fun but i have been feeling quite unwell for the last month. Blood tests revealed im suffering from Anemia and the onset of menopause. In 3 weeks i have gained 4kgs and can feel my body retaining fluid in a big way. My legs feel like I’m carrying heavy weights and im really struggling with everyday tasks. Im on iron supplements for 3 months and if no significant change i will require an iron transfusion.

Fast days feel like a real chore at the moment and I’m really concerned that my 15kg weight loss in the last 12 months will come back. Welcome any advice on Anemia and menopause. Only 6 weeks until our holiday to Bali so wanting to feel better both physically and mentally before then.

Good to see you back CalifD. Hope you feel better soon. What are some of your fave FD foods? I tend to eat the same few things every FD too – laziness more than anything in my case. But you’re right, when you find what works, you stick with it. I will have a seasonal change when winter arrives. Right now it’s 36C so no thoughts of that. My FDs are very different from when I started. Back then, the focus was still very much on food with several little ‘meals’ planned all day. Nowadays, it’s more about not eating but very much just a normal day.

It’s been blissful since the last lot of short-stay guests evacuated last Monday, thanks for asking. I’ve been aware of people next door but the owners themselves are quiet people. They’ve been selling the furniture all week according to other neighbours. This gives us a lot of hope that it will be rented long-term. The local council has just revealed that the owners withdrew their application for change of use within 24 hours of receiving our petition and the various objections. So I feel it was well worth the effort.

I am getting headaches as well – must be linked to the weight loss.

Hi ALL

Thanks for your well wishes :)))

Had Dinner which was soooooo yummy. Hanging in there. I have noticed that I get a headache, had the same when I was doing 8pm – 12midday fast. Weird. Anyone have any thoughts on this.

Cheers
    nancy

Nancy, I get headaches on some FDs too. There are a couple things that often help. One is to drink more water or other non-caloric drinks so you stay better hydrated. The other is to add a little salt to your food if you aren’t getting enough. Usually more fluids help, but occasionally I have a light, persistent headache that won’t go away without taking ibuprofen or aspirin. Light exercise can sometimes help too.

I usually have a cup of tea, coffee or a glass of water or diet soda with me on FD. It helps to keep me feeling full. I have a lot of different flavored teas (sugar-free) that keep things interesting.

Hi Nancy, my thought went to dehydration too, but also just checking in case it is caffeine withdrawal, if you are not having your usual coffee or tea. (It could also be sugar withdrawal I guess, if you usually have a lot of sugar, but I think you said you don’t).

So glad to see your post (posts) Cali, but sorry you have a virus. Hope it isn’t the Aussie flu.

LJoyce your morning post came through when I posted mine. Hope you have had a good NFD after a loud start to the day.

Oh Thin, it is hot over there, I do hope the rain comes soon…. you will know it when you see it 😉
    But hooray for the quiet next door and the end of that venture. Yes, it was worth your effort!

All the best.

Cali, sorry to hear you came home ill. I at least that the trip was successful.
    You need to take your own advice now – plenty of rest and fluid. Perhaps find a bell you can ring for your OH to bring you cups of tea – would that work?

Nancy, I agree with Cali, if I keep up the fluids I usually avoid a headache.

Thin, I’ve forgotten what rain looks like too – as has my garden. I’m getting my rainwater tanks emptied and cleaned out tomorrow – I have some minor repairs to do and I need an empty tank to do it. I’m hoping for rain fairly soon so they fill up again. I hope your neighborhood stays quiet and you get some very nice long term tenants.

I still have lots of leftover baked cauli, broccoli, zucchini and sweet potato so I think I’ll just put a piece of chicken in the airfryer to bake and have it with some of the leftover veg.
    I’m fasting tomorrow and hopefully I’ll have enough veg left to make an omelette for dinner.
    I’m having to keep meals simple at present, as my kitchen is still plastic wrapped and will be until the weekend. I have a few basics in the laundry along with the toaster, kettle and airfryer. If I want to use the microwave I have to battle my way through the plastic without suffocating myself. It seems to involve a lot of flapping about to get through the billowing plastic while trying not to drop my plate of food.

Ha ha LJ, you had me really laughing about the bell for CalifD’s OH to appear with cups of tea. I’ve been trying hard to imagine that scenario in our household. Good, you’ll be fasting with me tomorrow. I’ve forgotten why fasting makes your treatment go better on the following day but there’s another feather in the fasting cap. Careful with that freezer build-up!

Nancy, I’ve never experienced headaches from fasting but, from reading others’ posts, I was also going to suggest more water and a little salt. Cinque, I have experienced headache when going without coffee so I agree that it could also be caffeine withdrawal.

Hey All

Thanks for the tips. I am already caffeine free, and I remember those headaches when I ditched the caffeine – went on for a couple of months.

I will check I am getting enough water, and the extra salt is an interesting one.

Question: I am not entirely sure how these posts work, so my questions is whats the difference between the choices Permalink & Reply? Can one reply to a certain individual or to the group only. Want to make the most of this great community.

:)) Day one done and dusted – Gym tomorrow and a normal Break-FAST

Night all zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Thin, I can imagine that after a couple of uses there might be bit of an accident – “oh dear, I think I’ve just trodden on your bell”
    I don’t know why the fasting reduces my post-treatment side effects, just that it does. I got the idea from some research done on chemo patients who “fasted” (reduced cals not water only) for 2 or 3 days immediately prior to chemo. Many had reduced side effects. As far as I’m aware there’s been both UK and US research into this. As my treatment also suppresses my immune system and usually causes similar side effects to chemo, I thought the principle may work for me too. After experimenting I found that I just needed one FD not 2 or 3 to get a great result. Instead of battling nausea, vomiting and headaches I now usually feel almost normal after treatment – just a bit more fatigued and sometimes a mild headache. It’s a really impressive improvement, especially as I fast twice a week anyway so I’m not adding more fast days, I just need to make sure I get the scheduling right.

I felt like dessert tonight but was limited to the few food items I had stashed in the laundry. (The pantry cupboard is plastic wrapped in preparation for floor sanding.) I had 3 small dried peaches and a handful of raw almonds. The combination of one almond and a small bite of dried peach as a mouthful was stunning. Next time I concoct a muesli I think I need to base it around those flavours, perhaps with some shaved coconut and oats.

For those interested, Dr MM is on SBS Insight at 8:30 tonight – program is about gut bacteria. Not sure if this is a repeat of last year’s program.

Hi LJ:

Your ‘fasting reducing RA side effects’ is Dr. Longo’s research discovery. The Longevity Diet book explains how and why it works.

As we have mentioned, research is showing it not only reduces chemo side effects in cancer patients (and leads to significantly higher cure rates), but looks like it may reverse and even cure RA and other autoimmune diseases like MS. While research is going forward in both the U.S. and Europe using the FMD because people refuse to water fast, water fasting produces the same results for free. Dr. Longo runs labs in both Los Angeles at USC and in Milan at the Molecular Oncology FIRC Institute. As a result, his ‘contacts’ run throughout the U.S. and Europe and his clinical trials are taking place throughout the two areas.

The Longevity Diet cures cancer?

Good morning everyone,

Nancy I hope you have woken up feeling triumphant this morning. I LOVE the morning after a fast day.
    And I have NO IDEA what that permalink does. I always just hit reply.

Thin, I hope you survived that unseasonably hot day. I saw it in my news feed this morning.

I’m having another Wednesday Fast Day. I wonder if I am changing permanently. I ate too big a meal last night and, now I have considered my fridge and my planner, I have decided today is perfect for a fast. I even went and bought some more yuba yesterday for my miso soup. It’s meant!

I watched Dr MM on the Insight ‘Gut’ special. It was a repeat but it was good to listen to it again.
    Meanwhile I had taped my twins in “The Human Body: Secrets of Your Life Revealed” on the ABC so I watched half of it before I went to bed, and it started with babies and the indigestible sugars breast milk contains which go straight to feed protective bugs in the babies gut. So cool!

Best wishes to everyone for a good day.

Good morning SHs,

Nancy, I think “permalink” adds a post to your favourites (from your profile page)
    It’s probably explained here: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-to-use-the-the-fast-diet-forums/ Personally I don’t use it or “reply” I just go to the bottom of the screen where there’s already an open text box and write my post.

Cinque, I watched the rerun of MM and completely forgot that the twins were on. Most evenings I’m too tired to care about TV and unless the options hit me in the face I’m a bit oblivious.

I’m fasting today. Sounds like Thin & Cinque are joining me.

Yes I’m with you. Looking forward to fasting today having survived chocolate mud cake and an Indian restaurant meal this week. Minor damage though as I only had a teeny portion of rice, no appetisers or dessert and no alcohol. OFMs are now well-trained as it was one of them who suggested freezing half the birthday cake. Hurray!

LJ, I’m familiar with that Canadian research concerning reducing or eliminating the side effects of chemo in cancer patients through fasting. I came across it six years ago when my friend was diagnosed with breast cancer and it’s how I ultimately arrived here at 5:2. I wondered if that’s why you were doing it prior to your treatments. Great that it works so well for you.

Still trying to get through the Longevity Diet book. Longo’s FMD comprises at least 50% complex carbohydrates yet his disciples seem to constantly demonise carbs.

Cinque, I watched a bit of both. The undigestible breast milk component was fascinating. I’d seen the Insight gut one before. I’m happy that you might be returning regularly to Wednesday fasting.

Hi Calif:

The initial human studies show that it almost doubles the survival rate of those undergoing chemo. By itself, it duplicates the results of chemo. So it is the combination of the two (fasting plus chemo) that works wonders. If you invented a pill that did that, you would be rich. There are large, long term studies currently in progress. The first one from the U.S. should be done in the middle of this year. The second one, in Europe, is scheduled to finish at the end of this year.

The diet does not really do it. The incredible discovery is that the body will do it if it does not have to spend a lot of time digesting food. The Longevity diet is composed of several parts, one of which is the fasting mimicking diet (FMD), or water fasting. So you follow the diet year round, but only do the FMD occasionally unless you are sick, when you do it monthly. Research shows that the fasting allows the body to kill off old, diseased and worn out cells. On refeeding, new, healthy cells replace the old ones. This works really well for the immune system cells (old people end up with immune systems of 20 year olds). It turns out that when the immune system is in peak condition, it can really attack cancer cells and kill them. But the concept works body wide. That is why it works on so many ‘different’ diseases (like diabetes, MS, RA, Alzheimer’s and cardiovascular). The body seems to be able to cure itself if given the chance.

Sort of an interesting ‘diet’, I think.

Hi thin:

It is not Canadian, it is Dr. Longo. He explains it in the Longevity Diet.

As for carbs, the Longevity Diet prohibits sugar (and most other processed carbs). He does allow for occasional small amounts of pasta (after all, he is Italian!) and dark breads, made with whole grain flour. The diet breakdown is 60% carb (mostly complex), 30% fat (olive oil, oil from nuts and in special circumstances coconut oil – no animal fats or ‘vegetable’ oils), and 10% protein, all from vegetables, fish and seafood.

Hi Everyone. I’m also on a FD today and already feeling hungry. It’s just after noon here and I usually don’t get really hungry until about 4pm. Anyway I will power through it.
    I found out from my friend last night that she has type 1 diabetes. Wondering if anyone here knows of 5:2’ers that have got type 1 diabetes? I understand type 2 can be controlled by diet but what about type 1??

Hi Quacka:

I am not aware of any human studies that address Type 1. Dr. Longo has conducted experiments on mice with the Longevity Diet where the mouse equivalent of Type 1 was reversed. Way too soon to draw any conclusions, but Type 1 is an autoimmune disease, and fasting is known to reverse many autoimmune diseases. If your friend is willing to do some water fasting, under the supervision of his/her doctor, it might be worth a try. Especially when there are no known serious side effects when not eating for a few days.

But I wouldn’t expect the doctor to do anything but laugh, and probably prohibit any fasting. Fasting does not conform to the ‘standard of care’.

Thanks for the explanations on Reply Options. :))

Fast day went fine, talked my way through it. Ate my dinner – which was deliciously – at a snails pace.

Think my body is adjusting – hence the headache and a generally feeling of manckiness.

Went to gym this morning – then ate afterward. Weigh in on Friday.

:))

simcoe, Longo isn’t the only scientist working on the links between diet and disease – and he only entered that phase of his research in the latter half of his career. The first I personally heard of fasting was six years ago with respect to a Canadian doctor’s research on the effects of long-term fasting on his breast cancer patients. Most of it was anecdotal but he theorised that cancer cells had only ever been fed or medicated, never starved. The cells didn’t know how to behave and they essentially committed suicide. Unlike Longo, whose findings are sensationalised, this doctor was cautioning against cancer sufferers ‘trying it at home’. However, Canadian women got wind of the study and, with nothing to lose and nothing to pay, began fasting with anecdotally excellent results. I was as excited as the next person to read about this as my best friend had breast cancer.

As for Longo’s diet, as I wrote, I was referring to the FMD not the ongoing LD. Not only does it comprise 50% complex carbs, recommendations for the recovery day specifically comprise “a diet based on complex carbs including cereals, pasta, rice, bread, fruit, etc”. And then, as you say, the LD itself does include pasta several days in a two week period. I wondered therefore why every time someone here mentions eating carbs, a lurker out there pounces on them to criticise. Some poor newbie mentioned eating a banana the day after fasting and was instantly chastised because a banana contains carbs. You can’t find a more complete, wholesome, nutritional food than a banana surely!

I’m sure you’re a greater authority on this than I. But I do have the book and I can read quite well. All science must stand up to scrutiny. It’s only so until another study proves otherwise. The findings are exciting and I love the idea of regenerating cells to prevent or cure disease. But I don’t understand why any questioning of this Longevity Diet is instantly shut down. One nagging issue with it for me (that no-one ever seems to want to address) is that over population is the single greatest issue facing our planet. What are we going to do with all these centenarians?

Thin, I hadn’t heard of the Canadian research. I’ve been trying to find the UK research paper that I originally read before trying fasting to reduce my treatment symptoms. They didn’t actually use fasting but calorie restriction in the study. From memory they trialed 500-800 calories 2 days prior to chemo and also on the day of treatment – I think they varied calorie intake on different days. I haven’t been able to find it, but did find this which is interesting:
    https://0-bmcmedicine-biomedcentral-com.brum.beds.ac.uk/articles/10.1186/s12916-017-0873-x
    One of the most interesting things in this is the list of current trials that look at different diet approaches for those receiving chemo treatment. If you scroll down to Table one it lists about 3 dozen current or recently completed studies. There certainly are a lot of researchers working in this field at the moment. These studies also seem to be focused on specific chemo treatments and cancers.
    I’m really pleased that they are looking at something that can help that doesn’t involve putting yet another toxic substance into your body – which is what most cancer patients are faced with.

By the way, I have also lost patience with the “carbs are evil brigade”. Some high carb foods (eg low fibre refined products) are unhealthy as regular food choices, as are some high protein foods (processed meats) and some high fat foods (trans-fats or polyunsaturates used in cooking). I have no intention of trying to convert anyone to my way of thinking and I would appreciate the same consideration – but don’t always get it.

You won’t get any argument from me on bananas – I’m under strict instructions from my GP to eat one every day to get my potassium levels up to normal. Luckily I like them a bit under ripe which I think means they have more resistant starch – probably why they never seem to increase my appetite.

Simcoeluv, I’m not finding the studies that show that FMD or fasting almost doubles the survival rate of those undergoing chemo. Could you post a link?

Thin, I don’t think there will be a problem with an influx of long lived centurions since very few people would even consider a long water fast and most can’t afford or aren’t willing to pay for a $299 boxed meal on a regular basis.

LJ, I lost all my excess weight on a high carb 5:2 diet. But the Keto or low carb diets seem to be popular these days. Interesting that when I’m in a group of people praising the virtues of low carb, I’m the only one who’s thin. 😊

That should be “centenarians” not “centurions”. Don’t you just love auto-complete? 🙄

Morning guys

Sorry for the lack of replies, or even a hello from me. My laptop decided to go the rainbow bridge yesterday, taking with it everything I had tagged, bookmarked, kept safe etc. Today is a new day and a new laptop (thanks hubby). So I did really well on my fast day on Monday. I didn’t feel anywhere near as hungry or as anxious about not having enough to eat. My daughter made us an amazing vegeterian chinese chowmein for 170 cals each serve. Wonderfully filling and tasty as.

LJ got myself a punnet of strawberries, awesome idea thanks.

Thin, Quacka et al thanks for the support and encouraging words and wisdom. I really do appreciate it especially as being new to this 5:2 program. All the help I can get (other than people in white coats) is greatly appreciated.

Enough already, have a fantastic day everyone. Take care.

Hey Paula Mac 65 – Hi from me in NZ – I am new to this game myself. Will be doing my 2nd fast tomorrow. Day 1 was OK – did have to talk myself through a few moments, but realised there was no chance that I would break…..well not yet.

:)))

Paula, for some reason, I hadn’t considered the idea that you and your daughter (who’s embarking on 5:2 with you) live together. Even better. So you can follow her lead. Great that Monday’s fast was anxiety-free. The more fasts you complete, the more routine they will become. Post when you like, no obligation but we’d love to hear how you’re progressing. By the way, we do have a recipe page if you’re interested in FD meal ideas: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/southern-hemispherites-fd-recipes/

CalifD, lovely, putting your money where your mouth is – being thin! 😆 Are you feeling better?

LJ, as with your UK study, I also can’t find the original info on the Canadian one which is annoying. It was a pod cast with a transcript because I recall forwarding it to my friend, who happens also to be Canadian. You and I are perfect examples of how fasting works so well but in quite different ways. We do lots of things differently yet we have both maintained our losses and managed to change a lot of our food behaviours. We can only help newbies by stating what’s worked or otherwise for us. They then have to glean what fits for them. It’s all so new in relative terms and we’re the pioneers; none of us knows whether we’ll be able to sustain fasting into dotage. I hope so.

Well done Nancy – “hold fast”! I wondered where you were as you mentioned having dinner the other day when it was still very early here in Perth. Where in NZ?

Quacka, hope your FD is going well. Just having my 2pm cauliflower soup. Tofu curd soaking, Cinque.

Thin, starting to feel better, but now the dreaded cough which will probably keep me awake tonight. I think I’ll sleep downstairs so I don’t keep OH awake. I took a cough med but not sure how well it will work.

Nancy and Paula, like thin mentioned, FD do become routine after a while and pretty easy. At least that’s been my experience. Today was a FD for me and I had a small can of pink salmon for 160 calories, a can of Light Chicken Cheese Enchilada soup for 180 calories, and a pound of steamed broccoli from a bag of frozen which is 160 calories. For me, the packaged foods make it easy to always have FD meals on hand. I love broccoli and it’s filling. Sometimes I’ll have leftovers from the night before or a big green salad with tuna. Sometimes I have miso soup with mushrooms and/or tofu. Mostly I just stick to these things because they’re easy, don’t take a lot of thought, qand don’t take much time to prepare.

There’s a Nigerian Bean soup recipe included in the link that thin posted that’s really good. Most of us have tried it and liked it. It’s even better the next day or two as a leftover. I usually make a big batch.

It is evening meal time here. I have my Fast Day miso soup (cauliflower, peas, shiitake and yuba) just about ready to slurp.

Oh yes, ‘reply’ is facebook! I just go to the bottom of the page here and write in the space.

Paula, what a nice hubby. So glad you are connected again. And what a nice daughter 🙂 Every fast day under your belt sets it a bit more neatly into your life.

Quakka, hope you are having a good fast day! Cheers to your friend with Type 1 diabetes, what responsibility it is to look after yourself with it. It would be so wonderful to be able to cure it!

Nancy, so impressed you did your gym before eating. I bet your food tasted wonderful when you finally got it!
    You will be working out all the tricky spots that pop up through your Fast Days and hopefully figure out the strategies to deal with them, or avoid them.
    I meant to say, one of my sisters has had a couple of bad bouts of diverticulitis. There may be no way to really know, but if you feel 5:2 is helping, or see any info about it, she would be interested.

LJoyce, I had real trouble with the ‘carbs are evil’ mantra since I was a vegetarian when it came in (Atkins diet), and wholegrains and legumes were central to my diet. And then some proponents of low carbs would say “Don’t eat carbs, eat wholegrains and legumes’. I rolled my eyes!
    (Cali, I’d love to be with you at those conversations) 😉

Cali, so glad you are starting to feel better. Look after that poor cough.

I have been having my soup while writing. Not the best mindful eating, but ofcourse I have enjoyed every mouthful. It has been a good fast day.

Evening all.

Hey, guess what! I worked out what the ‘hyperlink’ does.

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/beans-and-lentils-recipes-tips-and-information/page/2/#post-234675

I realised that Cali mentioned the Red Kidney Bean Stew, but the link Thin posted is the ‘Southern Hemisphere Recipes’ thread, and the recipe is in the ‘Beans and Lentils’ thread.
    Found the recipe, clicked hyperlink… and the hyperlink appeared in the top bar!

Win! 🙂

No idea what you mean Cinque! Permalink? I went to the recipe and clicked Permalink and nothing happened. What top bar? Your computer’s search bar? Glad you know what’s going on at least.

Great to be fasting with so many others today. Mine’s complete. Miso soup with enoki mushrooms, tofu skin & Chinese cabbage. Just realised that I forgot the red chilli.

My FD didn’t quite go as planned. A few unexpected things meant delays in the work I was trying to get done today. It meant that I didn’t finish painting doors until 8pm and was outside in the dark washing out the roller and paint tray.
    Frankly by then I had no desire to either make or eat my planned veggie omelette. So I have just made a pot of decaf earl grey tea and I’ll have a plum and a banana for dinner. Then an early night I think as the nurse is here in the morning to give me my infusion. I need to be up early enough to put all the door handles back on.

I had a contractor here this afternoon to clean out and empty my rainwater tanks. All of the water was pumped over my lawns so those near the tanks are now very well watered. I have some small holes in one tank that I need to repair, but the tank has to be dry to do it.

Tomorrow afternoon I pick up the floor sander that I booked. I have it for 2 days, so I can do the work in stages as the vibrations have a bad effect on my finger joints. Thankfully this will be the last significant reno job to do, it’s just little fiddly repairs left to do then. The end is near.

Evening lovely people. To clear a couple of things up. Our daughter lives with us as she is disabled with Fibromyalgia (since she was 14), Chronic Fatigue, Self Harming, Anxiety, Depression and was Anorexic (but has maintained a healthy weight for more than 4 years now). However, her healthy weight is now overweight, hence, us doing this journey together. My husband also eats what we eat except when he is at work – he takes a lot of fruit with him and he doesn’t have what we do for breakfast as he is up at 4:40am and leaves by 5am for work.

Made some potato and leek soup yesterday for dinner tonight – worked it out so that it is low cal, low fat. With the heat here today (humidity was high), soup was pretty much the last thing any of us wanted, but after heating it up it was well received anyway.

Thanks for the link to the recipes for the FD. Much appreciated. I have found, to my surprise, that I look forward to all the information that you guys give out freely. Whether it is information for me, or words of encouragement or taking an interest in other’s lives, you all care and for that I thank you. PS My daughter’s name is Courtney.

Hope you all have a great evening and day tomorrow. Courtney and I are off the city tomorrow for some retail therapy. 🙂

Paula, I’m jealous of the fact that men can wake up from a sound sleep and be ready and out the door 20 minutes later! It takes me an hour with coffee or tea to get fully awake, not to mention hair and makeup! 😄 The potato and leek soup sounds good any time of year. It’s been years since I’ve made it, mostly just because I forget about it. There used to be a restaurant in San Francisco that was across the street from where I worked that served a chilled cucumber, leek and potato soup that I often ordered for lunch. As I recall, it had a lot of garlic in it. Because of the cucumber and garlic, it had quite a different flavor than regular potato leek soup. I haven’t tried this recipe, but it sounds like it would be similar except that I’d add fresh garlic: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cucumber-soup-with-leeks-celery

So nice that Courtney can live with you. It sounds like she is past the anorexia if it’s been 4 years. That is such a mysterious condition to me as it’s hard to imagine being adverse to eating and that it’s so difficult to overcome. I read a lot about it after a coworker’s daughter had it many years ago. It took a long time for her get it under control and it was very frightening for her parents.

Cinque, thank you for posting the correct link for that Nigerian Red Kidney Bean soup. As an aside, I often add a little coconut milk to it which adds a slightly different flavor. That recipe is definitely a keeper though. I mainly have it on NFD because it’s hard to stop at just one bowl! Beans are a great source of fiber and keep you feeling full for a long time.

LJ, glad to hear that you are almost to the end of the reno projects. Sanding is so messy with all the dust. But it sounds like you have everything well covered in plastic. Be sure to let the dust settle for at least a day afterwards. It seems to hang in the air unseen, only to wait for you to remove the plastic so it can attack all surfaces again. 😖
    Yesterday was a FD for me. I weighed in at 58.5 this morning so I didn’t gain too much on the trip. Good luck to everyone who’s fasting today!

Hi Paula. I have worked in IT but “the rainbow bridge” is a new one to me! Sounds a lot better than some of the things I have heard, and said, when the computer dies.This site extends my northern hemisphere vocabulary pretty much every other day.

Cali – Twenty minutes for a shower, shave, coffee, the news headlines and out of the door is a bloke thing. My OH doesn’t get either, which was why a 3.30am departure has us up and about at 2.45am.

Good Morning,
    Thin, I did mean ‘permalink’ and it is the internet address that is at the top of the screen. It gives it for that exact post. Does that by chance make it any clearer? (Not the best communicator at times).

LJoyce I hope you slept well after such a big day and a very Fasty Fast Day. Good luck with your infusion this morning.

Paula, what a lot of difficult things Courtney has to deal with, and what a worry for her parents. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and had a lot to do with the FMS support groups for a while, because of similarities between our conditions. I got ME/CFS as an adult, but it is generally much more severe when teenagers get it. Is it the same with fibromyalgia?
    So hard for a fourteen year old, and even worse to have it combined with anxiety and the rest. So glad she is managing well, but I imagine there are ongoing difficulties.
    Really hoping 5:2 helps. Can’t help hoping it might help with FM pain, but it doesn’t help with CFS, except that being healthier means I can manage my CFS better and I haven’t got the added problems that come with being overweight.
    It is lovely to have you here. Hooray for soup, I love it the whole year round. Don’t buy too many clothes on retail therapy, you might need a smaller size before too long!

Cali, I am sooooo slow in the morning too! And that soup sounds wonderful for summer.

It is the lovely morning after fast day for me. I’ve got to go and have my follow up CTscan (after my operation last year). Ho hum. Wondering if I might wait to break my fast until after that (apart from cuppas ofcourse). It is at 11am. I’ll have another cup of tea and think about it.

All the best wishes to everyone.

Cinque, you are a perfect communicator – I was lamenting my challenged brain when it comes to new things on the computer. Back in 1990, we were the only people we knew to have email and, by 1993, I had written by own web site from scratch using html coding which was capable of accepting international memberships and payments for my then business. It was some years after that before big business started having an online presence. I don’t know what happened after that – I stopped being interested in acquiring new PC skills and am particularly resistant to social media. Still living in the 90s I guess! My DD often has a laugh at the apparently simple tasks that I can’t fathom.

I was just thinking yesterday about your big ordeal last year and about to ask whether you feel fully recovered. So I was interested that you are having a f/u scan today. Good luck! Has that been 6 months already? All the best for your Rx too LJ.

Paula, thanks for sharing the information. Courtney has been through a lot it seems which probably means her parents have too. One of my DD’s friends was diagnosed with anorexia in high school. Luckily her mum’s a nurse because she said the mental health resources were thin on the ground for people over 16 in Perth. She used her knowledge and connections to push for the appropriate help and the girl worked hard to re-gain control over her life. My friend says it’ll always be with her in some form – she remains quite anxious. I agree with Cinque about the clothes. I ended up with far too many barely worn size 14s, so excited was I to get back to that size. Yes, it was humid yesterday despite the lower temperature.

My potato and leek soup was what won my OH’s heart on a camping trip a hundred years ago. He’s loved it ever since but I don’t dare eat it these days. CalifD, have you ever visited the Anza Borrego desert? It was one of our favourite places.

My coffee machine part arrived yesterday and OH put it all back together. Perfect timing for my lovely frothy Thursday.

Local jazz night tonight. Looking forward to that. Have a great day everyone.

Good morning SHs,
    Just finishing my pot of tea and vegemite toast before the nurse arrives. I slept so well that I had to be woken by the alarm at 7:30. It gave me time to put all the handles back onto the room & cupboard doors.

Paula, Getting past something like anorexia is major progress both for your daughter and your family (who I’m sure suffer along with her). I can’t imagine what it was like for Courtney having to deal with chronic disease in her teens. I have RA and fibromyalgia, but was in my late 30s when it started. I think it’s very different dealing with the consequences of disease when you are an adult. I’m also extremely lucky that the new wave of biologic treatments actually give me excellent remission of symptoms that allow me to live a mostly normal life.
    There are people on 5:2 who have lower inflammation levels due to the fasting so I hope this helps Courtney. I find the biggest diet related impact on inflammation is my actual weight. If allow my weight to get above 80kg my inflammation levels increase. Something else I should mention is weight on the scales. Fluctuations in inflammation causes a lot of weight changes that have nothing to do with what you are eating or body fat. It can make it difficult and frustrating to track how your weight loss is going. I found that I needed to take measurements regularly. In addition to the bust, waist and hips measurements I also measure my knees as they give me a good indication of inflammation around my joints – this can help me understand what the scales are telling me. It might be worth using measurements for Courtney as the scales can be disheartening if they don’t reflect the effort she’s putting in.

Cinque, I really hope your scan results are clear.

Penguin, I can also be out the door in 20 minutes if I have to, just don’t expect me to be coherent.

Cali, sounds like you are feeling better despite the cough. I hope it clears up soon – lots of liquids to keep your throat lubricated.

The nurse is late, just wondering if I have time for another pot of tea…

Just had a call from the nurse. She is unwell so we’ve rescheduled to next Tuesday. Now I need to replan my day and also make sure I’m fasting next Monday.

Hi all fellow SH’s

Hope you are all having a good day. It’s FD for me – I really need to get back on track: my weight has crept up a little recently. The last 2 weeks have been so busy with life in general, OH with specialists, Dad with home visits – all of which hopefully will settled down nicely, soon.

I haven’t had time to read each post, as I’d like to, and apologies for same – I have flipped through when able. Really must get back on track as I know 5:2 is totally for me.

Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

Morning all. Haven’t posted for a while because we are moving around, but I have been reading all your news when I can.
    So, this post is really just to wish you all the best with your scan this morning Cinque, and that you get the all-clear.
    best wishes all.

Hey ALL :))

Thin – I am in Auckland :)) Half way through my second day. I think I am really getting that recognition of thinking I could be hungry and then realising that I am not Hungry – Not sure that makes sense. Finding it easy to ignore food. And then build up my mental reistance by not avoiding looking a yummy foods, and just not having a issue with it. hHave had two Trim Flat whites – which has got me through without issue to now – 2pm. :))

Paulamac65 – That Potato & Leek soup sounds good – got a recipe?

Yeh Cinque – I love working out before eating – feel like I am getting ahead of the game. Weight training soooooo good for boosting the metabolism. And Yeh chicken Stir-fry tasted AMAZING :)) I will do some research re Diviticulitus and get back to you. I have been a big wine drinker in the week – which I have cut out – and I think this was a big contributor to Diviticulitus.

Have a Great Day ALL – I will be sending the sun over to you soon….ish 🙂

Viewing 50 posts - 15,251 through 15,300 (of 28,032 total)

You must be logged in to reply.