Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,925 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  Neilithicman 2 days, 21 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 14,801 through 14,850 (of 28,029 total)

• Hi everyone 🙂

Hi Phino, Hi Quli,
    Welcome here!

Thin, are you stuck in the scanner?

Penguin,, I find I have come to love greens more and more as I have got older. I do think they are the most important colour on the plate.
    I bet you are finding some great recipes for them!

Quick cheers to everyone, I have a super busy day: being social with lovely people. I won’t write more, just send good wishes for a great, sensible eating day.

Ha ha Cinque! Like you I think, I’d imagined being shunted through some kind of barrel-like structure in the supine position. Instead the Inbody 570 scanner had me standing on what looked like a set of hospital scales and it was all over in seconds. The mobile nature of the service should have provided the clue.

I was presented with a print out packed full of numbers and percentages and an interpretation guide which I’ve yet to study. I went straight for the visceral fat result which gave me a score of 7. Lael confirms that the healthy range is from 1-9 so, although I suppose it could have been lower, I’m happy not to be carrying excess visceral fat around my organs. (Lael’s result was 6 by the way and she’s managed to take steps to lower her score over a couple of scans). It also reveals that my optimum weight would be 58.4kg. I’m 60.3kg this morning. Work to be done!

There were some posts I’d made a mental note to reply to from yesterday but I’ll have to go back and re-read the previous page when I get back from walking. Have a lovely day with your friends Cinque.

Oh yes, now I remember. Thank you for your post about the passing of the vet Cinque. I’d never heard of him but what a lovely, caring person he seemed. I think my DD will also be a champion for all creatures of the non-human variety.

Thanks for the info on Weiss bars. I’ve never seen them here but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist. My frozen treat is the stone of a mango. After the bulk of the flesh has been cut away, I freeze what’s left of the centre and then it makes a delicious cold treat to gnaw at on a hot day.

Welcome Phino and Quli,
    Are you new to 5:2 or just new to the Southern Hemisphere forum?

Thin, glad to hear your visceral fat is OK. Do you think having 58.4kg as an optimum weight will help you get through that mental barrier of 59kg?

Cinque, enjoy your social day – I hope this means your energy levels have improved.

Penguin, after you talking about the discussion of Valter Longo’s book on the Science Articles forum I went to have a read. I looked at the podcast link that Simco had provided. Something I can’t reconcile in the interview was the claim that fasting for more than 12 hours is bad for you (eg not eating from 8pm until noon the next day), apparently we should go no longer than 12 hours fasting overnight. But he also says fasting for 3-5 days is the best thing you can do for your health. To me there is a contradiction.
    I think I’d have a bit of trouble with the recommended diet from that book – vegan + fish. I’d have no issue giving up meat and eating plenty of legumes – that’s close to my current approach. But giving up dairy and being forced to eat fish 3 times a week – not going to happen. I struggle to include one fish meal a week.

As a knew we were about to have a run of hot days I wanted a salad in the fridge that would keep for a few days. I have an old favourite brown rice salad recipe that I’ve adapted. This time I made it with spelt couscous, brown lentils, capsicum, carrot, celery and pinenuts. The dressing is mainly orange juice, sesame oil and tamari. I had a bowl for lunch – it’s filling and nice on a hot day.

My replacement cooktop was delivered this morning, so I’m hoping it goes into the precut space easily tomorrow. I’ve been painting the bathroom this morning, just one more coat to do. I ended up blending a paler version of the colour I’d intended to use as I though it was too dark in a room with limited natural light.

Hope you are all having a good day.

LJ, I had trouble finishing Longo’s podcast as I find him hard to watch and listen to. His book might be less distracting for me! Isn’t ‘vegan + fish’ a contradiction in terms? ‘Eat mostly plants’ is a mantra that I can identify with. I know that when I was a vegetarian, I felt less sluggish I had previously. Vegan is a step too far for me – not because I don’t believe it’s right or that I couldn’t do it, but socially and practically, I find we have to be realistic and not constantly standing out like a sore thumb trying to justify something. Having a propensity for such practices is a good compromise for me these days. I don’t feel I need to declare it out loud. I do feel much better for not having eaten meat for a couple of weeks – and my weight is down too. Meanwhile OH is BBQing up a storm in Qld every evening.

As for the 58.4kg ideal, I do feel I should be pushing myself for better outcomes now. After I lost the 23kgs, it’s as if I slumped in the chair feeling proud of myself and believing that had been a big enough effort. Keeping it off for 30 months, feeling even more smug. Now I think it’s time to ramp things up a bit and make some more changes (perhaps another 2kgs off and build some muscle mass).

As for 5:2 style fasting, it’s one guy’s study. I quite like much of what he has to say. Nevertheless, I like to believe that giving your body a rest from food for extended periods can only be good for you. I don’t subscribe to the need for constant snacking and grazing idea. If nothing else, fasting requires a certain level of discipline which I believe can only be a good thing. Let’s carry on!

Hi Thin, he described it as pescatarian, but that is basically vegan + fish. I do eat mostly plants and am happy about that, but frankly I rather drink fish oil than actually eat oily fish – probably cheaper too with fish the price it is. Since replacing more meat meals with legumes I think my skin is better. I usually get dermatitis breakouts on my face but they’ve been rare over the past 2 months.

I do understand what you mean about the big weight loss feeling like an end point that doesn’t need to be revisited. I know I should be lighter too, I just haven’t felt safe trying to maintain a lower weight. I’d rather succeed at a modest target than fail at a bigger one. In the past this would have been sensible as failing to get to a weight would have meant I resumed binge eating and regained all weight lost. I’m not sure that I’d do that now. My weight seems to be slowly declining again without me needing to think about it so I might just see where that goes for now before I consider consciously aiming for a lighter weight.

I have finished painting the bathroom walls and have rewarded myself with my first peach of the summer. I know they’ve been available for a while, but I’m fussy about quality. To avoid disappointment I wait for the local green grocers to stock peaches from an orchard at Mypolonga. They are always amazing. They are available for only 2-3 weeks so I’ll probably be eating them daily during that short season. Unlike many of the peaches available for sale that lack flavour and moisture, these are really juicy, sweet and full of flavour.

I’ve just pulled an ancient portion of vegetarian moussaka out of my freezer (it went in last May). That’s dinner sorted!

Hi all – back on line finally. NBN sorted so fingers crossed all will be well now.

The floor is coming along nicely and have more than half laid. No more work on that front as son is on duty for next 4 days but I am sitting here waiting for the electrician to come and give quote on more power points and new connection for electric oven as I have changed its position to make the new kitchen more workable. Hope he comes!

Had stitches out today – wound not healed at ends but will take time as has to heal from inside. Promptly made it bleed again hammering in some nails and not being mindful enough. Oh well, will just have to be more careful. LJ, I am in awe of everything you’ve done – it will be a shame to move.

Sort of doing semi fasts at the moment – not eating lunch (no time) and having early dinner. Will have to get more disciplined next week

Good luck to all fasting tomorrow

Cinque, I hope you’re having a lovely time with your friends today.

LJoyce, your work on your home is just amazing. Could you send some of your motivation this way? 😁 I hope the new cooktop fits.

Thin, glad to hear your scan went well and your visceral fat is in a good range. How did they come to the 58.4 as an optimal weight for you? Is it based on BMI? Being more careful on NFDs for a while would probably get you there again. And you might like being around 58 in terms of how you look and feel. I think our bodies reset easily to a new weight if we can just get there and maintain for a week or two. The FDs seem to take care of that.

I’ve been on such an eating binge the past week or so, on NFDs. It isn’t hunger. It’s more just wanting whatever food is tempting and then not being satisfied with a single helping. And you know it’s always something sweet or some type of bread product, which starts a chain reaction when my blood sugar drops. It’s often self sabotage too, but I don’t know why. FDs go perfectly fine. I guess anxiety plays into it a lot of the time. I was 59.4 this morning and today is a FD, so hopefully I’ll be in the 58’s tomorrow again.

I haven’t read very much further in Longo’s book. It isn’t holding my interest because I’m not convinced that a $300 box of fast mimicking food every month or so would increase longevity. Maybe I haven’t read far enough to understand why a straight WF every so often wouldn’t be better. It isn’t necessarily a weight loss diet and there are more calories eaten on these FMD days than we eat on the 5:2. Thin, I’m having trouble getting through that hour long video too. I’ve fallen asleep watching it the last 2 nights. I guess I should finish reading the book. I am not convinced.

WWall, I hope that wound closes properly very soon.
    Keep your smelling salts handy for the electrical quote. I never cease to be staggered every time I get a quote for something.

Cali, If you ever want to try a 3-5 day FMD using real food rather than the very expensive bars & packet soups just ask – I have worked out the macro-nutrients and meal options for 3 days. I calculated it a few weeks ago – I must have been bored and trying to avoid painting! I might try a 3 day FMD later in the year after I’ve moved, but I’m in no rush.
    Sometimes I have one of those weeks where I want to keep snacking despite not being hungry. It’s not always obvious what’s triggered the behaviour. Something that might be relevant for you is that you got to goal so recently. I think there is probably a sub-conscious link that says, “I’ve been dieting for ages, I’m at goal, I should be able to let my hair down a little now – I’m owed a little indulgence after all that restraint.” Maybe your subconscious doesn’t send you messages like that – mine is a sneaky little devil that sends me all sorts of unhelpful messages.
    My renovation motivation – a fast approaching deadline and the sense of panic that comes with it. I’ll probably fall into a sedentary heap for several months once I get through this.

When I watched the Valter Longo podcast, I saw another more recent one and decided to skim through that too. At the end the interviewer asked him if he was stranded on an island what one supplement or food would he take with him. The interviewer then proceeded to give examples of all the “pill” supplements that others have chosen. Valter chose garbanzo beans (that’s chickpeas to the rest of us). The interviewer did not look pleased, he was clearly looking for a quick fix pill supplement that would help him live longer and got told to eat chick peas!

Hi Calif:

There is no need to purchase any diet food to obtain the benefits of Dr. Longo’s diet. All you have to do is fast, and that costs nothing.

The reason for having to fast for several days has to do with cellular destruction and regeneration. No material destruction of cells occurs with short fasts, and short fasts do not stimulate stem cell activity. And after the destruction of the old, diseased and underperforming cells caused by a multi-day fast, one has to eat to allow the stem cells to replace the ones that were destroyed. It truly is an amazing discovery. But the benefits simply do not show up with fasts lasting only in the hours. If neither the book nor the hour long video can hold your attention, maybe this 15 or so minute TEDx talk can sum up some of this up for you: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Tedxtalk+valter+longo&view=detail&mid=EB50A882798904571C8FEB50A882798904571C8F&FORM=VIRE

Hi everyone
    Hope you’ve all had a wonderful day – it’s ~ 7pm here, so the day is nearly over.

Cinque: I’m so glad you are feeling a lot better, but please still take it easy. Hope you enjoyed your super busy day.

LindsayL: Very nice message about your parents and their respective siblings – a lovely memory for you. You could also join Cinque and myself if ever we get together for the box of Weiss bars – I like mango as well, but you may have to help use the sugar soap, so bring your muscles as well!

I think it would be really nice if we could all (SH’s) just ‘pop over’ and have a quiet coffee, a chat, etc and get to know each other on a personal level but, alas, this is probably not to be – I think the constant air fares would make it prohibitive! Lol!!! Especially for those who don’t live in Australia. Just a thought…

Penguin: Very pleased for you in feeling a whole lot better, still take it a little easy though – you don’t need set backs!

LJoyce: Fantales were always the best, ‘Cadbury’s’ caramels are my more recent choice, but any choc coated caramel will suffice – I’m not picky, but now only on the rare occasion. You could also join Cinque, Lindsay and myself for a Weiss bar treat – same conditions apply!!! Your brown rice salad would be nice.

Hi to Phino and Quli – warm welcome to this wonderful, supportive forum.

Thin: you should be very proud of your visceral fat score – well done! I didn’t realise it would be done so easily. And you don’t have too far to go for optimal weight though you may be happy just where you are – 23kg loss is amazing and 30 months worth is great – good on you! Your frozen mango stone sounds interesting – I’ve never thought to do that and it’s such a waste to just throw it away – next time!

wwall: Happy your NBN is finally sorted – must be a big relief for you. Continue to enjoy your renos and be kind to yourself.

CalifD: Hope you eating binge is kinder to you soon and settles down before you know it!

Simcoeluv: Will try to read/see your link later tonight – thank you for your post

Enjoy whatever you are doing and bye for now!

Just posted and it’s hopefully out there in the ether – not going to press submit again!!! Did that last night when I thought I’d lost it. Bye!

Hi all back online again. Thanks for your encouragement Cinque, Thinatlast and others. Many articles, TV shows etc seem to suggest you cannot lose weight unless you exercise like an Olympic athlete. As you all say, lots of exercise is not essential, although I know it helps. I have started to drop again even though I can’t do much. My scan revealed bursitis and minor ligament damage, need more tests as it’s possible I have arthritis. I need to lose another 10kg to get to my optimal weight, it’s just going to take longer than I hoped.

Good luck to those doing renovations etc. Dealing with tradesmen is enough to make a saint break her fast.
    Cheers

Wattle, good to see you back here! I lost about 13 kg with very little exercise over about 8 months. So it can be done. Perhaps I would have lost it more quickly if I had done more exercise.

LJoyce, I would love to have your breakdown of the macro-nutrients and meal options for 3 days of Dr. Longo’s FMD. The statistician in you couldn’t let that go without sitting down and analyzing it. 😁 Thank you for going to all the trouble of doing that.

simcoeluv, thank you for that Ted Talk link. That was much more to the point and easier to pay attention to. Sometimes in his book and in other interviews he tends to get a little verbose and loses me. Listening to that link got me back to reading the book and it does make a lot of sense.

Wattle, I’ve been pretty lucky with trades. Unless I have no other choice I only use people who’ve come recommended by other people that I know and trust. Thankfully where I live (Adelaide Hills) still seems to operate on a country region mentality and no-one does a bad job without it becoming well known. That doesn’t help prices though, which is my biggest worry at the moment – and is also the main reason I’m pushing myself so hard to do tasks myself so I don’t have to pay someone else to do them. I had originally planned to tackle the pre-sale reno that way and just do the staging myself. Unfortunately the amount I’d saved to pay for this, that I’d thought was generous, wasn’t enough. So I had to either just use trades and go into debt or do some myself – I decided to pick up the paint brush.
    The only trade that I’ve never found a local with a good rep is electricians. Thankfully my niece’s son is an apprentice electrician and he and his boss are doing all of the electrical for me, despite having to travel an hour each way to do it, as they are in the outer southern suburbs.

Cali, I’ll put the FMD calculations and meals plans in a separate post.

The gas fitter is back today. I’ve opened the box and the new cook top looks very similar in size and layout to the one I removed – I’m hoping that’s a good sign. I’m moving most of the furniture out of my bedroom today and sugar soaping the walls so I can starting the cutting in. I won’t get any further than that today as I don’t have enough paint left – I’ll get more Friday. I’ll move onto the woodwork until then.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning everyone,

Hello again Wattle, so glad to see your post. My sister who had bursitis in her hip was here overnight. She said that it has settled down a lot, but then she hasn’t been walking as much as usual (she’d do long bush hikes). Her tip is that as soon as it gives the slightest twinge, she puts an ice pack on the area, and rests, and that works well as it gradually goes away.
    I wonder if that would work for you, or just set off the arthritis pain?
    Just keep on keeping on with 5:2. You’ll be so glad when that 10kg is gone and how long it has taken won’t be an issue then.

Arelkade, yesterday the front page said you had just posted, but when I clicked on it, it took me to a post you wrote on the last page. And now there is no sign of the recent post. 🙁

Thin, excellent scan news.
    I was intrigued by an optimal weight that was a number, not a range. I searched and found this:
    http://www.calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=60&csex=f&cheightfeet=5&cheightinch=2&cheightmeter=180&printit=0&x=113&y=17
    They ask height, weight and age. And for me the result said:
    Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 115.5 lbs
    Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 123.1 lbs
    Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 110.5 lbs
    Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 110.0 lbs
    Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 101.1 lbs – 136.7 lbs

After converting kg to lbs I am about 110.
    I will be interested to see how you find getting a couple of kg lighter. I like me at the 50kg weight but I think it makes me hungrier, and is the reason I have sabotaged some fast days (and some non fast days). But on the other hand I might sabotage eating well at any weight I decide on… It is more how hungry I get, ravenous for breakfast on the day after fast day morning, while you often write that you are not hungry after your fast day.

Yes Dr Hugh was so caring, but also a bit brusque, with a big booming voice. “The problem is not with your dog, madam, but with you!”

Wwall, be careful with that wound! Maybe they should have kept the stitches in another couple of days. Good luck with the hammering. It does all sound wonderful.

My social day went well. I was too crook to have lunch out with rellies, but my three sisters came here afterwards and we had such a good catch up. Today I had something on that got cancelled. I am relieved as it is getting hot, and the heat is really knocking me this year.

My seedlings are going so well I have picked a dozen lettuce leaves to make a salad for lunch.

Off to take it easy. Best wishes everyone.

Thanks for posting the TED talk simco. It was interesting to learn that the FMD allows for between 800 and 1100 calories daily over 5 days. That might seem like a feast after years of practicing 350 cal FDs. The results are very exciting as a trend (noting that the study involved only 100 participants). Like CalifD, my interest has been renewed enough to read the book.

I’m of course interested in living a healthy, disease-free life for the life span that I have. As for increasing life span by 20 years or so, I can’t help questioning this from beyond the individual. The biggest problem we have on the planet that no-one ever wants to address is population. How are we going to sustain all the extra people living to 120 and beyond?

Much to consider as I embark on Wednesday’s fast.

Hi Calif:

The science can be a bit daunting. But it is hard to get the mind around the concept that you can take a diseased, poorly functioning organ and revitalize it to almost new condition by going through cycles of fasting and rebuilding. In the long video he reports that in the lab they have ‘destroyed’ the pancreas of mice and, through the fasting/rebuilding cycles rejuvenated them to perfect working order. This even holds out hope for those with Type 1 diabetes. I almost view the food choice portion of the diet as sort of a ‘place holder’ that prevents the body from back tracking between fasting cycles.

In any event, it is quite interesting to think about. Many of us are more than interested in the research and are following it closely. The potential is mind blowing.

And it is all free.

Cali,
    As promised, this is the food based FMD that I worked out for myself. I offer no gaurantees that it applies to anyone by me, I am no expert.
    The reading I did online suggested that the ProLon $300 FMD was based on averages – so a “one size fits all” approach. That bothered me, because I don’t have an average TDEE and had to adjust 5:2 because of that. So I used a calculation based on body weight which requires fewer calories on the FMD days than the Prolon system allows – it does however keep the macro-nutrient balance exactly the same.
    The Prolon FMD has day one of 1090 calories – this is meant to be a day that eases you into fasting. I wasn’t sure that this was really that necessary given how used to fasting my body is. Then it has 4 days at 725 calories.
    The critical nutrient balance used is: 9% protein, 44% fat, 47% carbs.
    The other parameters of this plan are:
    No, or minimal animal-derived products
    Proteins from plant-based sources – the low protein level is critical and must not be exceeded
    Carbohydrates from complex carbohydrate plant sources
    Fats from “healthy” oils, including fish oil
    Less than 20g of sugars per day

I haven’t read Valter Longo’s book (and it wasn’t out when I did this), so I may have made many incorrect assumptions. However, the guide I chose to use for myself was based on staying under 11 calories per kg of body weight – I read a lot of other sources that used this ratio. I used the Prolon macro nutrient balance of 9% protein, 44% fat, 47% carbs. For me this equates to 550 calories per day with 12g protein, 27g fat, 67g carbohydrate. Sugars also can’t exceed 20g. I treated the protein level as a maximum limit and the fat and carbohydrate as slightly flexible, but stayed as close as possible to these levels.

I worked out 2 meals per day plus some hot drinks. (Normally on a FD I’d just eat one meal, but I thought I may want more than that if I was doing this for 3 days or longer).
    Brunch/Lunch:
    option 1-cereal: 1/4 cup porridge oats, 100ml unsweetened almond-coconut milk, 75g blueberries OR 75g grated apple OR 150g strawberries. One tsp chia seed or psyllium husk can be sprinkled on for extra fibre if you want. Either soak the oats in water overnight and then make into a bircher muesli, or cook the oats in water for a hot porridge.
    Option 2-crispbread: 4 rice/corn thins (or 2 of the thick rice cakes), 50g avocado, 100g cucumber, 100g cherry tomatoes
    Option 3-salad: 100g shredded kale leaves, 50g avocado, 100g cucumber, 100g cherry tomatoes
    Dinner:
    Option 1-miso soup: 1tsp olive oil, 1 miso paste sachet, 500ml water, 100g (drained weight) Shiritaki/Konjac noodles, ginger, garlic, 1/2 shredded carrot (50g), 2 spring onions/scallions (50g), 75g enoki mushrooms, 1 tsp sesame oil (garnish with this once off the heat)
    Option 2-Chicken noodle soup: 2tsp olive oil, 2 spring onions/scallions, 50g shredded carrot, 100g shredded kale, 100g finely chopped celery, 1tsp low sodium chicken stock powder (must be a low sugar brand), 100g Shiritaki/Konjac noodles, 500ml water
    Option 3-Stirfry: 1tsp olive oil, 200g Shiritaki/Konjac noodles, garlic, ginger, chilli, 150g shredded chinese cabbage, 2 spring onions/scallions, 100g carrot, 1tsp tamari, 2tsp sesame oil
    Snacks:
    Take 2 fish oil capsules per day
    300ml unsweetened almond-coconut milk (17cal/100ml) to be used for hot drinks.
    Black tea and sugar free herb/flower teas.

I used the nutrition information for the product brands that I use – this will vary a lot between brands. For the FMD, the critical things to watch in selecting products is the protein and sugar levels – which need to be very low.

The re-feeding after a FMD is also important apparently, but I haven’t looked into what this should entail.

If nothing else, this might provide some meal options for our usual FDs on 5:2.

As I mentioned I haven’t tried to do the FMD yet and probably won’t until later in the year when my life is settled.

Thin – I agree about lots of people living to 120. I actually don’t think a longer life is a goal of mine. A healthier life however, is very important. The idea of spending many of my later years immobile or trapped in my long term memory with dementia is what frightens me enough to look into options for extending my healthy years.

Thank you Cinque. I weigh 132lbs. I get this:
    Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 130.5 lbs
    Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 135.1 lbs
    Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 130.7 lbs
    Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 129.4 lbs
    Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 114.6 lbs – 154.9 lbs

I won’t make any drastic changes to NFDs as I don’t want to fall into any ‘diet’ trap which can’t be sustained. I know I can lose 2kg of course. As you point out, can it be sustained? I just want to be mindful that there is definite room for improvement long-term.

Thank you for the FMD menu options LJ. I might be up for giving it a go with you sometime. Is that the extent of the fasting for the entire month? If so, that’s a long time to have to avoid slipping back into larger portions and who knows what other bad habits.

Speaking of which, Arel, I glanced into the frozen section as I walked past last night and spotted the Weis bars. That mango and macadamia one looks delish. But I won’t get myself started on them in case I like them too much.

Hi everyone
    Just a quick post as I’m away with my girlfriends. The guys are meeting us here Thursday/Friday. I’ve been doing the opposite of fasting. I am with girls who like their food and alcohol. I fit in perfectly with them haha. I did think I could do a fast today but for the first time they decided to get scones/cake with our morning coffee/milkshakes. I give into temptation too easily 🙁 anyway I will eat less today as last night I felt too full.
    Cinque, I did make your Nigerian Stew before I left home. The family members, who were home (4including me) all loved it and what an easy meal to make- I’ll def do it again
    Have a good one everyone and welcome to newbies xx

Hi LJ:

I really admire your work. It must have taken quite a bit of time and analysis.

As one of the few people so far that has read the book, I feel compelled to relate Dr. Longo’s warning against a ‘do it yourself’ FMD. The reason has nothing to do with your or your abilities.

In the U.S. everyone can sue anyone else for anything. If Dr. Longo suggested that a person could duplicate the FMD based on published sources, and someone tried to copy the diet, used the copied version and suffered some harm (like passing out, falling and getting injured in the fall), he could be sued. That is also why he cautions against doing water fasting instead of following the FMD. Most of the injuries connected with water fasting have nothing to do with the fasting – they have to do with the low blood pressure that can make a person faint if they get up too fast.

If you purchase the FMD, it comes with warning after warning about possible ‘side effects’ that the user should watch out for. Many of those warnings are also in his book. That limits his liability in case someone gets injured as a result of using their ‘home made’ version of the diet (or fasting). I mean, in the U.S., if you go to a dry cleaner and pick up clothes covered with a thin plastic bag, the bag is covered with warnings not to put it over your head and mouth lest you suffocate. It is ridiculous but true.

What is most interesting to me is that despite these potential legal issues, he has nonetheless given guidelines of what is in the diet. I think there is even a book (or two or more) that details the diet (not authored by him).

So in an effort for full disclosure, if you successfully duplicate the effects of the fasting mimicking diet, you will have successfully duplicated the effects of a water fast with all of the potential side effects, including nausea, light headedness/potential fainting, and overall not feeling all that good (keto flu). One very real side effect that can be suffered by diabetics is the extreme reduction in blood sugar which, if combined with the person taking blood sugar lowering medications, can lead, literally, to death.

As most of you know, I am a fan of Dr. Longo and his ‘diet’. But if you understand the potency of the fasting program he advocates, you can understand that there can be side effects.

Just so you know.

Stay, enjoy your days with friends, you can fast later.

Simco, it was just one evening actually. But I have so much nutritional data taking up space in my brain that it probably saves me time with this sort of thing. I didn’t actually do this for anyone else, just for me.

Thin, the FMD is about longevity and reducing the risk of the diseases that commonly cut life short, it’s not really about dieting or weight maintenance, so I don’t see it as an alternative to 5:2, not for me anyway. I think if you have a healthy diet that is always within your TDEE then doing FMD a few times a year might be fine. This seems to be what Penguin has been doing in maintenance – he does 3 consecutive days of water fast monthly. I wasn’t considering doing the FMD instead of 5:2, but in addition. Mainly for the cell regeneration benefits and not for weight maintenance. I was considering a 3 day FMD 4 times per year. In the interviews that Valter Longo has given he seems to indicate that 3 days is enough to get cell regeneration benefits – he even spoke about just 2 days with chemo patients being beneficial.

Cinque, thank you for the ideal weight link. I’m 5 ft. 5.5 inches and here’s my ideal:
    Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 128.6 lbs
    Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 133.6 lbs
    Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 128.2 lbs
    Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 127.0 lbs
    Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 112.9 lbs – 152.6 lbs
    My weight today is 129.6 or 58.8.
    I was feeling good at 58 and am overeating on NFD now to be above that. With 2 FD per week and eating mindfully I should be able to stay around 58. I don’t want to count calories on NFDs. Sometimes I think the occasional overeating ramps up my metabolism a little. I do worry about slowing it down by doing if I fast more than the 2 days per week. Do you find that?

There’s a big difference between being hungry and wanting to eat. I have seldom been actually hungry for more than maybe 15 minutes now and then when fasting, but not very often at all. But I often want to eat. I think it’s usually in response to anxiety or worry. Or sometimes it’s just craving sweets, not out of hunger but just because a food looks or smells good, or I remember something tasting good in the past. Does that make sense?

LJoyce, thank you for posting your FMD formula. I may try it on a NFD sometime or try it for 5 days.

Hi everyone
    Hope you’ve all had a wonderful day – it’s nearly 7pm here, so the day is nearly over.

The first part of this post is what I lost last night – so far hasn’t been reposted by tech support, so sorry if it gets repeated!

Part 1
    Cinque: I’m so glad you are feeling a lot better, but please still take it easy. Hope you enjoyed your super busy day.

LindsayL: Very nice message about your parents and their respective siblings – a lovely memory for you. You could also join Cinque and myself if ever we get together for the box of Weiss bars – I like mango as well, but you may have to help use the sugar soap, so bring your muscles as well!

I think it would be really nice if we could all (SH’s) just ‘pop over’ and have a quiet coffee, a chat, etc and get to know each other on a personal level but, alas, this is probably not to be – I think the constant air fares would make it prohibitive! Lol!!! Especially for those who don’t live in Australia. Just a thought…

Penguin: Very pleased for you in feeling a whole lot better, still take it a little easy though – you don’t need set backs!

LJoyce: Fantales were always the best, ‘Cadbury’s’ caramels are my more recent choice, but any choc coated caramel will suffice – I’m not picky, but now only on the rare occasion. You could also join Cinque, Lindsay and myself for a Weiss bar treat – same conditions apply!!! Your brown rice salad would be nice.

Hi to Phino and Quli – warm welcome to this wonderful, supportive forum.

Thin: you should be very proud of your visceral fat score – well done! I didn’t realise it would be done so easily. And you don’t have too far to go for optimal weight though you may be happy just where you are – 23kg loss is amazing and 30 months worth is great – good on you! Your frozen mango stone sounds interesting – I’ve never thought to do that and it’s such a waste to just throw it away – next time!

wwall: Happy your NBN is finally sorted – must be a big relief for you. Continue to enjoy your renos and be kind to yourself.

CalifD: Hope you eating binge is kinder to you soon and settles down before you know it!

Simcoeluv: Will try to read/see your link later tonight – thank you for your post

Part 2:
    Supposed to be a FD for me today, went to yoga this morning with no breakfast, then went to a View Club meeting – they had sandwiches then home made slices and as it’s $12 for the lunch, thought I may as well eat, so, FD now tomorrow.

Simco: Watched your Ted Talk link – does sound interesting. Also you said they destroyed the pancreas in mice, then it was rejuvenated through fasting and rebuilding cycles with FMD – that is mind blowing!

Wattledown: so glad you are back online again – can be very frustrating.

LJoyce: Thank you for your personal breakdown of what may be required, and the meal options, for the FMD – because I’m still getting used to 5:2, will consider doing it at a later stage – 5 days could be a little too much just now, but the science behind it is amazing! I could manage the 1st day ~ 1100cals, then the 4 days ~ 800cals, but would have to change my style of eating to suit what is recommended – I suppose if it’s only 2 to 4 times/year, it would be doable and the health benefits would be amazing.

Cinque: as you can see from above note, I’ve reposted yesterday’s today with additions – hope it’s not too confusing. Has a look at your weight calculator link – was amazed at the variables for each type of calculation, and guess that the BMI weight range covers them all! So nice that you could spend time with your three Sisters – I thought of the Blue Mountains, which I love, on reading about your catch up! There’s nothing like picking fresh veggies from your own garden – enjoy.

Thin: The mango and macadamia Weiss bar is delightful – if you have one, you may just want two, so maybe best not to get started!

Stay: Enjoy your special time with girlfriends, including the food and alcohol – it’s probably not often that you all get together, and a FD or 2 may see it all wiped away when you get home.

Arel, that’s a marathon post! After I’ve cut the two halves off in preparation for cubing a mango, I then remove the peel around the centre. Whatever’s left gets frozen. One big advantage, apart from being really delicious, is that the fibres don’t get caught between your teeth when it’s frozen.

Stay, enjoy your time with the girlfriends.

CalifD, I know what you mean. Perhaps we have to stay at a certain weight for a longer period of time before dropping it down further. It’s taken me a really long time to accept that I really am a size 10.

LJ, can you publish your address for my lawyers please just in case you’ve posted any misinformation. 😆

Thin, not going to happen – read the disclaimers!

Simco, I’m thankful that we’re a less litigious lot in Australia. Although Thin will have to be excused – clearly her years of living in the U.S. have rubbed off on her.

Arel, I see you’ve more than made up for the post you lost lat night.
    I also think that in terms of calories the FMD is doable, into the really low protein and sugar that’s difficult. There just aren’t that many foods that fit within those parameters. Even many vegetables contain too much protein to be included.

Cali & Thin, I think what all those ideal weight calculations amount to is whole lot of disagreement that means you should find your own level that feels right for you.

FD for me tomorrow. Unusually, I don’t actually know what I’ll be eating.
    As we are in the middle of a heat wave here I’ll probably make a salad from cos lettuce, tomato & cucumber. I have small tins of tuna in the pantry and can add one of those to it.

A lovely day here. Clear sky, bright sun and the temperature is now above zero.

Please, no more chat about chocolate covered caramels. I can resist the others but they are dangerous. Weiss bars I don’t know – must be a SH thing.

Cinque, I have eaten so many greens this week I may have vitamin overload.

LJoyce/thinatlast. There has been some debate on other threads about the apparent contradictions in the Longo doctrine. As simcoeluv has pointed out, this is a still evolving piece of work. It looks impressive and promising, but I shall do as I always do and take from it the parts that make sense for me, which is probably most of it. So many posts recently that I can’t remember who said that my monthly three day water fast was close to the Longo theory. If I stretch that a little and add the high density recovery I should be there. The major change will be what I eat between fasts. Actually I am not getting away with one fast a month. OH is still doing Monday/Tuesday fasts and they have become such a matter of routine that I usually join her.

One of the attractions of the Longevity diet for me is that it is compatible with everything I have read about maintaining the gut biome. Another really interesting read is Tim Spector’s “The Diet Myth”, which really changed my approach from weight loss and exercise to weight loss, healthy living and exercise. As ever, you can find him talking about it on youtube. (Disclaimer my previous diet wasn’t that unhealthy – no processed or ready made foods because they have been invented since I was a child, but it was capable of being improved)

Penguin, not sure if that’s the first time you’ve revealed that Mrs Penguin practices 5:2 but it’s the first I knew of it. Until now, I’d imagined her fattening geese, baking mince pies and tarts made from kefir curd while you happily fasted away on your B2B regime. I’m envious of fasters with like-minded partners.

I went to the library in search of Dr Longlife’s book today but it’s not here yet. I shall venture over to the science threads to read some of this. Wondering why some of these other scientists (Fung et al) don’t put up their own forums?

Glad the wx is warming up for you. My brother who lives on the south coast says he’s been walking across town through snow today. Quite rare for snow to settle in that area. I’ve not seen any for 14 years when I was last in the US.

Today’s FD has been a lot easier than my last one, despite eating exactly the same foods. I suspect it had more to do with what I ate the day before the FDs but now I can’t remember.

thin. I love your image of OH, sounds like I live in domestic bliss. Actually on a day to day basis since I retired and we re-allocated the domestic chores I do the cooking and bread making. However I freely admit that her mince pies, kefir curd or leek and bacon tarts are better than mine. I would argue that my chocolate cake is better. When the grandchildren are due I have to defend my kitchen. This afternoon she will be in there starting the sauce for an enormous lasagne for the weekend visit.

I guess it is much easier living with someone with the same fasting routine.

There are some parts of the country that rarely see snow. My father grew up in Somerset and didn’t see any until he was in his 20s, and that was after he moved north

A quick good morning on my fast day.
    I’ve dropped off the car to be serviced (finally!) and then I have one, possibly two visitors this morning. How did I let that happen? Will probably spend this afternoon recovering. Catch you when I’m capable.
    All the best.

Good morning SHs,

This is my last day for painting before my 3 day break. To say I’m looking forward to time away from the paint brush would be an understatement. Just to settle into the weekend nicely I have a treatment with the massage therapist this afternoon. Hopefully he can deal with all the sore spots which seem to be accumulating.

Still extremely hot here. I run my aircon as little as possible but last night I had it running all night, with a pedestal fan strategically positioned by my bedroom door to encourage the cold air to turn the corner into my room. As you may have guessed I don’t have ducted a/c just a split system in the lounge. At least I got some sleep and the house feels cool this morning, so I’ll try not to think about the amount of electricity I used.

Penguin, I’m trying to imagine it being just above zero and failing. It’s been high 30s here all week. Today and tomorrow 39C (102F), then we get a much needed change to milder temperatures. At the moment I’m hoping for an early wet autumn so that I don’t have to run around with a hose every evening to keep the garden alive.

Thin, I remember Penguin commenting that his wife also did 5:2 soon after arriving in the SH. I don’t the geese though.

I was thinking last night (when I should have been sleeping), about my reluctance to do the FMD. I did my calculations and food based version back when Prolon was first released, but I’ve dragged my feet on actually doing it. The idea of doing multiple consecutive days feels daunting. Yet in my 30s I regularly did 3 day juice fasts. Before my gastric issues were properly diagnosed and treated it was the only thing that managed to “reset” my digestive system and stop the escalating symptoms for a few weeks.

FD today, hopefully the hot weather will keep my appetite at bay.

Hi everyone!
    Welcome to anyone new on the thread – you will get lots of good advice and encouragement here, and please read simcoeluvs post on information for new people.

This is a quick hello and update. My weight this morning 65.2kgs. I am up and down a lot over a 1.5kg range. Lowest has been 64.2,, still 2.2kg over my target weight. I’ve been experimenting for the last 4 weeks to see if I can reintroduce starchy carbs to my group of OK foods and still lose the last 2-3kgs. I’m not having much success with that, so it will soon be back to a starchless existence while I get back down to 62kgs, where I can then look at trying to re- introduce some again.

FD for me today. Happy fasting to all the Thursday fasters.

I hope you are all going well🙂

I am very time poor while I work on my project over the next couple of months, so not able to read or be on here. I have a deadline that can’t be shifted. This is very important to me and I have good family support and assistence. It’s all good and exciting.

I’m back on a plane today, so hopefully I’ll get time to read back on this page along the way to see how you’re all going.

Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry,
    (3+ yrs on 5:2, lost 21kgs while also chronically ill with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis , commonly known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and unable to exercise.)

good afternoon all

I am new here, and am surprised about the many different diets people talk about.

last week I started the new 5:2 fast diet. That’s 800 cal (instead of 500 cal) on fast days, preceded or followed by a 14 hour fast. A couple of days ago I also started walking again – daily but easy, about 45 minutes each morning through (around) the Cairns Botanical Gardens/Lakes – it’s so beautiful!

Anyway, that’s all from me, as this is just a short intro

Hello all,

Sorry I have been just so busy.

I am in Cooktown at the moment, drove up this morning for OH to look at a vessel, stay overnight then drive back home tomorrow.

I do read what I can when I can, but of course the subjects are many so have not been commenting.

I have also found my blood pressure has been up lately too and I have been feeling very tired. May need to visit the doctor and mention this.

A big hello to Sybscairns. Are you doing the Red Arrow? or the Lakes?
    Great to see someone else from Cairns on here

I have not been fasting lately but I have started back at Taiko drumming so that is some good exercise for me. I need to get back to walking again too!!

I will post again when back in Cairns.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Hi everyone

FD for me today after yesterday ended up not being FD! Seems a few other are with me today – enjoy. I’m feeling a little light headed but otherwise ok!

Thin: thank you for the frozen mango – will try it with my next mango

LJoyce: I’m convinced that the FMD is the way to go for me. Interestingly, I’ve just watched Dr Jason Fung on YouTube and he seems down to earth, gets to the facts and is interesting to listen to – some of you probably know of him – he’s a Nephrologist, also has very good advice for prediabetes and diabetes, also in managing same. I have metabolic syndrome with insulin resistance so was keen to hear what he had to say. Enjoy your 3 day break, you deserve it!

Penguin: enjoyed your post on how you may handle Dr Longo’s method. You have a lot of experience with fasting and therefore would know what will work for you – best wishes for success. My OH and I are semi-retired and also share household duties – works for us! Stay warm in those freezing temperatures.

Cinque: hope you enjoyed your visitor/s, and you didn’t get any shocks or empty pocket with your car service.

Merry: Nice to hear from you. Glad you are enjoying your new project – best wishes for your success. Sounds like lots of travelling is involved.

Sybscairns: warm welcome to this thread – there are many knowledgeable people here who are happy to share their experiences – I’ve learnt/still learning a lot from them. Enjoy!

Justjulie: Good to see you back! You do sound like life is busy for you – take time to relax and enjoy!

Hope you are all enjoying your day and bye for now!

Hi again
    LJoyce: that’s supposed to be ‘l’m convinced FMD is NOT for me’ – maybe I should proof read before posting! There’s no way I could follow that one lol 😯

Hi again
    Must have foggy brain hence this post, meant to put it in the previous one – having a WFD today (2nd one). Not too bad. OH is having a McCain’s frozen meal (407 cals)- not our usual fare, and when I said I might have the same, he said ‘if you are going to do a water fast, you may as well do it properly’ – I said it’s ok I can have 500 cals – he then said ‘but you wanted to water fast’. So nice that he’s looking out for me, and it feels good that it will be carried through – bring on breakfast lol – probably won’t be hungry!

Hello again,

It is 10.00pm here and we have had a great day.

Arelkade, thank you for looking out for me. This trip is a bit of relax for me so I am really happy I came for this job. Cooktown is a very friendly town. Everyone says hello to you, on the street as you are passing, in the museum and the shops. It is such a pleasant atmosphere. When we first arrived OH and I went to the museum which was very informative. We then checked into our room while OH went to do his inspection on the ship. When he returned about an hour later we went together to the Botanical Gardens. They were quite lovely although there were not many flowers out due to the recent heavy rains that caused flooding and some damage in places, but lovely to visit the first ever Botanical Gardens in Australia. Many of the trees were identified and named by Banks when the Endeavor ran aground and they spend 3 months here doing repairs. There are lots of stories of what James Cook found and how he interacted with the locals. After the gardens we went to Cooktown beach and walked along a bit. It was nice to see the locals walking with dogs and acknowledging you as well. Finally for the day we drove up to Grassy Hill, the lookout where Cook stood and using his spy glass mapped out a passage through the coral reefs and sailed on further north. We walked around the Marina and OH ran into other customers of ours from Cairns. We were told the RSL club had great meals so that is where we had dinner. Steak and salad for me and OH had Mangrove Jack. OH bought a bottle of wine, I bought a bottle of soda water and we have been sitting on the balcony of our motel room enjoying the peace of the evening. What a lovely day!!

Tomorrow we will check out the local cemetery, the Lions Den hotel for lunch and then head off home stopping at some of the lookouts for some photos. I am glad OH asked me to come with him this trip as it is my first time to Cooktown and I think it is a great place.

Good night all hope everyone has had a good day too!

Hello everyone and welcome to any new posters. Life has become super hectic so hence no chance at all to even skim through posts.

Although hectic, life is not stressful at all. Socially things have been very busy. OH and I and Miss D are having a great time. Funny how i was once content spending every week night and weekend at home doing chores and now they are no longer import.

Weight has been between 63 and 65 kgs and seems to fluctuate daily. Would like to be around the 61 kg mark but im not stressing about it…it will happen.

OH and I are still going strong….wow im just so gobsmacked that we seem to be made for each other. From knowing each other as friends for 30 years and changes of circumstances in our lives bought us together its amazing….

Were in the middle of yet another heat wave….the last few days has been 42, 44 and 46 degrees on my back verandah under the shade. The next 2 days predicted temperature is 44 and it is always 2 to 4 degrees higher than predicted here. On Saturday we are heading inland to Roxby Downs for a relatives bday celebration…..temp there is always a few degrees hotter again…yuk.

Take care everyone and happy fasting
    …..will check in again soon

Good morning SHs,

According to the weather forecasters, today is the last day of the current heat wave. I hope they’re right, I’m planning for a nice weekend.
    Today is also day 1 of my 3 day break. I’ll be spending part of it going to various stores “shopping for the house” – lighting, timber etc. I only have 2 rooms in the house left to paint and I’ll leave those until the kitchen cabinets are in later in the month. I’m moving onto the house exterior next week to make the most of the good weather.

GDSA, glad life is happy, try to stay cool in that heat.

JJulie, sounds like a lovely spot to relax, enjoy your time there. I hope relaxing the break is enough to bring your blood pressure down.

Sybscairns, welcome to 5:2. All of us here do follow 5:2 although the discussion about broader research on fasting is also fairly strong – hence the discussion of FMD as a new book is out on that. A number of us here have lost the weight we wanted to and stayed with 5:2 for maintenance because we know it works for us and it’s sustainable. I hope you find it works for you too.

Merry, good to hear from you. I hope you manage to meet your project deadline without damaging your health.

I think I’ve discovered the perfect “exercise” for weight loss – home renovation. Despite being hungrier with all the work I’m doing, and eating more food, I’ve lost more weight. I decided to jump on the scales this morning and I’m down another half kilo in the last 2 weeks. At the moment I seem to be losing weight easier on maintenance that I did when I was actually dieting! I’m 2.5kg lighter than when I started maintenance last May.
    I didn’t want to have to think about weight and food while I’m concentrating on the house. The weight loss over the last few weeks has shown me that I don’t have to be concerned. Despite the extra food, I’m clearly active enough to need it at the moment. I think the tricky time for me will be paring back my appetite and food choices once I’ve finished this hard work and no longer need the extra calories.

Yesterday’s FD went well, in the end I just had a very large banana-pineapple-kefir-almond milk smoothie for dinner. It was too hot for me to be bothered making anything else.

Hope you all have a good day and are making nice plans for your weekend.

Good morning everyone. Writing on iPad as computer is blaaat. I get to ring my helpful computer friend in a couple of hours.
    I do find iPad more difficult, but emojis are easier! 🌺🌸🌼🌸🌺

Welcome Sybscairns, 800 calories is a nice way to do 5:2. It is what I did as I had just watched ‘What’s the best diet for you’ where the intermittent fasting group did 5:2 with 800 calories. It turned out that it suited me to gradually cut back to about 350 calories on a fast day, but as you will see below, it is harder for me to do but still suits me best.
    We are very much 5:2ers, it is just this new Valter Longo book coming out that has set off discussion of his 5 day FMD. Oh yes, Fung got mentioned, and water fasts…. you are right, we are talking about so many different diets!

Arel, my car service was excellent and no more than expected cost ( considering it hadn’t had a service for 18 months). They even got the ac working. I have a lovely mechanic. 😎 I hope yesterday’s fast ended well, nice to have OH keeping you in line!

Hi JJulie, Cooktown sounds wonderful. I hope you can manage that high blood pressure well and get some energy back.

LJoyce, your rest days have begun. Rest well!

Merry so glad to hear your news, and that your project is going well. Wondering if we may hear that North Korea has a new humanist leader, followed by a satisfied post from you.

I had a really fasty fast day yesterday. Back to my traditional one with just cuppas through the day and my miso soup in the evening. It does make for a difficult afternoon. Lots of gripey hunger pains. But I am thinking that one like that a week is good. I’ll aim to do it on Sunday and make it a rest day I think. Just rest and potter around and fast and be ready for the next week. And my Thursday fast day I’ll think about how to make it work best.

Gday, so glad to hear your news. What a lovely life you are enjoying! Good wishes!
    So grateful it is not as hot here. ( but still complaining) Keep cool!

Eating well today, hope you all are too. Good food, lots of greens, not too much!

All the best 🌺

Edit window: saw your post LJoyce. Congratulations. Your metabolism might have sped up a bit? Hooray. Wiggle dance. 💃🏻

Hi all

That’s it – the last load retrieved from old house, cupboards and floors all mopped. Settlement at 12.30 today and I am all done in. May not get off the couch today even though there is heaps to be done at new abode.

Like you LJ, I have lost a little even though I have not fasted for the last two weeks. Lots of physical activity sure helps so I will need to be mindful when I am not so active. I hope to get back to fasting next week but today my mind is not in the right place so fingers crossed for next week.

Wound is slowly healing from inside out but I still have quite a gash which hampers use of that hand as I try to keep it clean and not re-injured.

Good luck to all fasting today and best wishes for the weekend.

Wwall, isn’t that the best feeling, when everything is out of the old place, all is cleaned up, and you can hand over the keys! Now you only have to think about the new place and all of your extra time can go there. And it seems like there are always things to be done on a house. It never ends. 😁 So maybe you can relax a bit and let that hand heal. It’s hard to avoid dirt and dust when doing reno. Congrats on being out of the old place!

Cinque, I’m glad to hear your car was in good shape. Car repairs can be so expensive. Good luck with your computer repairs. Hopefully it’s nothing serious. I am almost always using the iPad when posting here because I can do it relaxing on the sofa. The desktop is upstairs in the office, on the desk.

LJoyce, it sounds like you’ve ramped up your metabolism with all the reno work. Hopefully you’ll feel less hungry when it’s all done and can get back to normal. Or maybe you could just add some exercise that would be similar to all the work you’ve done. But it could be difficult since you’ve spent hours with all the work. But do you feel better as a result of it? Maybe your next home should be a fixer-upper. 😁

Welcome to all the newbies on this thread. We do occasionally get off on lots of other topics, but many of us have successfully lost a lot of weight on the 5:2 and we know that it works. And it’s sustainable. I don’t think most of us would abandon it for the first pretty diet that comes along. 😉

Julie, good to hear from you. Cooktown sounds like a tropical paradise. Wouldn’t that be a low stress place to live! Did you fly there, or drive? It looks like a round about way to have to drive it.

Merry, good to hear from you and glad your project is going well.

Gday, so nice to hear that you and OH are so happy. It sounds like a very positive situation for your daughter too.

Arel, hope the weather cools down some. We get high temps here too in the summer. I’m looking forward to the Spring this year. I always seem to be cold on FD.

Cinque, I agree, I still use my laptop for posting, I find it much easier.
    I guess my metabolism has increased – I’m definitely burning more calories. I’m eating a more grains and fats than usual (even pastry) and still losing weight. I think with the reno tasks it’s the combination of either continual movement and standing for most of the day. In my “normal” life I spend most of my days sitting down, which surely can’t be helpful to my metabolism. I might need to revisit my lifestyle once I move, although after all this I’ll probably want to curl up on the couch and stay there for a couple of months.

WWall, I really hope the settlement goes through without a hitch. I wouldn’t worry about unpacking today – just find the bed, the kettle and a book. You deserve an afternoon on the sofa. I also think that taking time with what still needs to be done so that your can heals properly is sensible.

Cali, I think even if the next house requires work – which it probably will, I’ll probably try to live with for a year while I work through my ideas of what to do. I find this changes, the longer I live in a house as I work out how to make the house function better. I lived in this house for 3 years before I did the first reno 13 years ago. I probably would have made different choices if I’d done it sooner. In retrospect, I also would have made some different choices had I waited longer.

I’ve had a lovely pot of tea to start the day and as it’s a day off I’ve done some skin care pampering and also the long overdue colour on my hair – I could no longer pretend the grey stripe was paint! Back to my favourite coppery blonde colour again now. I’m just getting my shopping list in order and planning where I need to go. I might also spend a little time just window shopping for the finishing touches for staging – I don’t plan to buy these until March as I want to see what I can borrow first, but it will be fun to get some ideas for how to present the house for sale. Lunch out at a cafe too I think. After feeling like I have to work on the house every day I feel like I’m playing truant today.

thank you everyone for the friendly welcome messages

Cinque 800 cal combined with 1 x 14 hour fast before or after the FD – or 500 cal without the 14 hour fast.

Julie – I am amazed you got through with all the rain, or did you fly? Sounds as if you had a great time. I need to shed a few kg before I do the red arrow, but I’ll get there.

Does anyone here have experience / success with 16:8? would love to hear about it.

Finally home again. The morning was good, I found the light fittings I needed in preparation for the electrician next week. I also allowed myself the luxury of an hour wandering trough the home maker centre looking at displays to get some inspiration for when I have to stage the house for sale. Then I had a nice cafe lunch. I’m afraid it all went downhill form there. This afternoon I walked up and down the isles of a very hot Bunnings warehouse for nearly 3 hours looking for all the bits of timber, adhesives, paint etc that I’ll need to do the next 2-3 weeks of jobs.
    I got a bit stressed with some difficult traffic and road works on South Road. By the time I got into the hills I missed a turnoff and when I pulled of the road to turn around I managed to reverse into a stoby pole. I’m tired, hot and bothered and my bumper bar has a big dent in it! I should have stayed home and painted.

I think I need another long cold drink.

Viewing 50 posts - 14,801 through 14,850 (of 28,029 total)

You must be logged in to reply.