Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,914 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  KellyClarkson 10 hours, 29 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 13,801 through 13,850 (of 28,018 total)

• Room 5, ward 2, Cinque?

When Penguin mentioned Amazon, I checked to see if it had landed in Oz yet. And found that it has had a soft launch, whatever that means, in Victoria this past week. So Cinque, you might be among the first to benefit from same day deliveries in Australia.

I had the best FD for a long time yesterday. I made a fresh batch of cauliflower soup (OH brought a large cauli home that he’d found for $1.50, LJ) and the leftover Spanish Fideos. But the main reason was spending the day with a relaxed DD, chatting, laughing and doing nothing much at all. Absolute paradise without the noisy neighbours!

A cool 27C today.

Good morning from me…..and it is just still morning here!!
    I have been busy!!!
    Returned from Japan yesterday arriving around 4:45am coming home and talked to my daughter who has been house sitting for a couple of hours. Gave her the presents I had bought for her and then crashed in bed. I was meant to only have two hours sleep because I had to drive OH back to the airport to fly back out!! Yes one of our clients could not wait one day for the job so OH came home showered, changed clothes in suitcase to clean ones and then took off again. I was so exhausted that our daughter drove him to the airport instead which I was thankful for.
    I did not have a FD yesterday but even still did not eat a lot. I did a quick trip to the supermarket in the afternoon and bought a cooked chook. Shared some of this with the dogs for dinner.

I weighed myself this morning and was really worried what they would say!!!

I am so happy that with all I ate and the celebration drinks we had with all our friends while in Japan, I did not put on much weight at all so I believe all that walking was doing the trick!!! I came home still under 80kg!! I was 79.4kg. If I put some on it was only about 1 Kg. So having a FD today to try to cleanse my body of all that holiday fun!!!

Cinque, Glad to hear you are back home. I know recovery is so much quicker and easier when you are in your usual comfortable surroundings. I am sure that surgery is the last thing anyone wants but it sounds as if they made the best choice in the end and found there was something underlying there, although I was not expecting to hear that news. So glad for you that they found it and got rid of it. Big hugs to you and hope you are being pampered until you are fully recovered. I love the name of your cat, by the way!

CalifD, you have to stop making Cinque laugh!!! We dont want her to bust any stitches!!!! Anyhow that post did have me scratching my head for awhile when I read it. But then after going back to read again I realised that it was not quite as it seemed.

Thanks for the info on porridge everyone, but I did not know there was such a thing as steel cut oats. I will have to go looking for them.

I am having to go back to the airport now as OH is coming home!!! at least for the next few days anyway…….

Welcome back, Julie. I enjoyed following your vacation photos on FB each day. I loved seeing photos of the food as well as the landmarks, the everyday scenes of roads and little restaurants, the beautiful Japanese Maples all in fall colors and your family and friends. It was almost like traveling along with you in your suitcase. šŸ˜

Thin, I didnā€™t realize Amazonā€™s full site was coming to Australia this soon. https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2017/11/everything-you-need-to-know-about-amazon-australia/ I knew they had books for at least a few years but didnā€™t realize they were e-books. Iā€™ve been buying things fro Amazon since the 90ā€™s. Theyā€™ve gotten a lot more products over the years. Itā€™s the first place I look to buy everything other than occasional food items and clothing which I have to try on. (I bought the 5:2 book from them, the Kindle version.) They have something called a Prime account which costs $99 per year and it covers shipping on items sold directly by Amazon (which is mostly what I buy) and itā€™s 2 day shipping. Their customer service is the best Iā€™ve seen anywhere, including brick and mortar stores. If anything at all is wrong with a product theyā€™ll take it back and replace it. They give you a shipping label and pay the freight. There is never an argument from them.

The Prime account covers a lot of free streaming music, tv shows and movies. For us, itā€™s a good deal because we shop there so often.

I wonder if the Echo will be available there? https://www.amazon.com/all-new-amazon-echo-speaker-with-wifi-alexa-dark-charcoal/dp/B06XCM9LJ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511755276&sr=8-1&keywords=Amazon%2BEcho&th=1

CalifD, Australia is in for one big shake up when this company gets going downunder. In particular, Australia Post won’t know what’s hit them. It now takes longer to get a package from the eastern states than it did when we moved here 25 years ago. I’ve never bought anything on Amazon but I’ve had experience dealing with them as a seller about 16 years ago. It will certainly be interesting to watch.

Welcome home JJulie. Lovely that you only added a kilo which is probably mostly gone by now with your FD. I woke to under 60kgs today which was a nice bonus. It’s funny how every time I get in the 59s, something happens to sabotage that – tonight, we’re going to our local Vietnamese, inspired by LJ’s recent night out. Still, it’s better to be tackling a restaurant meal from the lower end of my weight spectrum.

Thanks everyone for kefir advice, have some research/buying to do when I get back from Straddie next week! We are going over this Friday, coming back Tuesday, large extended/blended family group plus 2 kids under 5 and 2 dogs – watch out Point Lookout! šŸ˜‰
    I rarely drink alcohol these days, but I suspect a few G&Ts sitting on the balcony may be had! I’ll be back on the wagon for food and drink next week….

Hi kiwiozbrit. We get kefir at Flanagans Health Foods (in Taringa), or at the health food shop at Indooroopilly. (and a G & T on a balcony at the point is almost mandatory……as is an icecream at the Point ..on a NFD of course!)

I don’t know what they call it now, but when I was a lad in Hong Kong there was a place called “Gin Drinkers’ Bay”…..

Whilst in town I visited the Polish food shop. Their stock is constantly changing – this afternoon they had three different brands of kefir. One was marked “Natural Kefir. Live grains. 6 active cultures”. My own kefir is working well, but I have no idea which strains of bacilli there are in it. With the aim of increasing variety I will make a batch of my usual and batch of my own mixed with this bought stuff – an idea I that has been suggested on this site in the past.

Penguin, there are likely a lot more strains in your homemade kefir than those at the store. Iā€™ve read that they canā€™t use those that might continue to ferment and blow up the container.

Thin, in the US Amazon uses UPS, FedEx and the US Postal Service for their 2 day or overnight shipping. They just started a pilot program of their own shipping on the West Coast. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-05/amazon-is-said-to-test-own-delivery-service-to-rival-fedex-ups Iā€™m less than impressed with theirs, but itā€™s only been a short time. They lost one package, reshipped it and then the original turned up a couple weeks later. They paid for shipping it back to them. A couple times shipments were a day late. (Shipping with Prime is 2 days.) it will be interesting to see how they handle the shipping in Australia.

CalifDreamer. Thats a thought. Mine will sometimes develop a head of pressure whilst sitting in the fridge after harvesting. This is in a fairly flexible card(?) container which would permit some expansion and has a best before date. The kefir/gut biome business changes your life in other ways. OH has had some medication prescribed and the first thing we did was bang ” name of drugs – effect on gut biome” into the search engine. Judging from the results, this seems to be a consideration the medical profession has come to quite recently.

Thin, such excellent news about your neighbours!
    And it was not only bed 5, ward 5, I was in there 5 days. Sincerely Cinque!

It is a week ago I was waiting for the op. They had a busy day and not enough beds so we had to wait and see if the operation would be cancelled. I had come in at 7 and at about 10:30 they sent the poor old lady in the cubicle next to me home, so I was expecting the same. But soon after 11 it was all on.

That was a fast day! I didn’t feel ready to eat until it was so late all they had were water crackers. I ate one, bad decision. So I was really looking forward to breakfast. I’d asked for the diabetic choice and got: weetbix, fruit in jelly, bread and margarine and jam. I had a quarter of the piece of bread and margarine, Horrible.

Then for lunch I got chicken and three veg. It was so good!

Welcome home JJulie,
    I do hope you have had lots of rest.

I am just about to make porridge (I tried it in hospital and got what can only be described as a cup of hot clag). Yes, I found out I am a complete food snob, and one subset of that is being a porridge snob.

I hate the quick oats as I think they are either not cooked enough or complete clag. (Beg your pardon people who love it). I have always used rolled oats, usually with a small amount of added rolled triticale which are firmer and nuttier tasting and add a nice texture.

I prefer to cook them on the stove and give them the full respect of around 20 minutes. I start with a handful of oats and maybe one and a half cups of water. No salt at this stage as it seems to inhibit them getting soft. I bring them just to the boil and then simmer about 10 mins. Then I turn them off. I haven’t had to stir them, if they have begun to stick, sitting for a little with the lid on means I can stir them all together and add salt and milk. I generally let the porridge sit about 5 minutes. Then with the salt and milk I turn on the heat again and stir cooking until it had come to a simmer again and is all lovely and creamy. Time to serve!

I tried steel cut oats a couple of times but find they have a bitterness I don’t like, not sure what it is.

I was also inspired by a woman from Eastern Europe, Romania I think, who talked on a food forum about ‘papa porridge’ in her culture. They used so many different grains and made some sweet with fruit and some savoury with onions and herbs, and it was the foundation meal for her culture. It made me realise the spectrum that includes oat porridge, risotto, congee, kasha and so much more!

So that is my input on porridge. Mine has had the first cook. It took me about three years to be able to eat it again after giving up sugar. It wasn’t so much the sugar, as to have a few raisins in it. But now I love it plain with salt and pepper and a bit more milk. True!

Cinque, did you have the surgery the same day you arrived at the hospital or the following day? You mentioned that horrible breakfast, but I wouldnā€™t think they would let you eat before surgery.

We have Instant porridge here which I donā€™t like at all. After 1 minute in the micro they are one big mooshy mess. Then there are Old Fashioned or rolled oats or rolled oats that take 3 minutes in the micro. Those are the ones I like. They keep some shape after cooking. Steel cut oats take about 20 minutes on the stove. Iā€™ve never tried them in the micro. I like them, but rarely make them because they take too long. Iā€™ve read that you can cook them in a rice cooker. Or the Instant Pot. But Iā€™ve never tried.

I love whole cranberries cooked in with the oatmeal. It satisfies my sour tooth. šŸ˜ I add a small handful to about 3/4 cup of oatmeal.

Cinque it’s great to see you posting again. Hope you’re feeling stronger each day, and all goes well from here on in. hugs.

Cinque, I’ve finally made the connection with ward 5, room 5 now that you’ve added another 5. Cinque! D’oh! Something else that went over my head this week was Penguin’s reference to a dog’s name causing confusion. Unless Penguin (or another member of the household) shares that name, I am still baffled.

CalifD, I understand that Amazon either establish their own delivery service or use reliable brands already established within the country of the market they’re entering – or a combination. It’s important to them to offer options that have already developed trust in the customer base. Yes, I’m interested to see how this works in Oz. Most populations are concentrated in coastal cities but there are also communities scattered far and wide in remote parts of the continent. I’d be happy with 3 day shipping but usually have to wait so long that, by the time the item arrives, I often can’t remember what it was I bought. This isn’t just a function of sluggish shipping; vendors aren’t always efficient with dispatch.

We had a delicious meal at the Vietnamese restaurant last night. Lots of really different, fresh flavours. Pain on the scales this morning.

Ha Thin, you are quicker than I often am!
    I didn’t work out William the dog either, unless it is just not a very dog name.
    How is your daughter going at unwinding now?
    šŸŒŗ

Thanks so much Lindsay! šŸŒø

Yes Cali, meal on Monday evening, operation Tuesday and then the diabetics breakfast šŸ˜³ on Wednesday. I was thinking of Penguins fasts…. and how they don’t seem to be for me. šŸŒ¼

My daughter and granddaughters are on their way to visit. So looking forward to seeing them! šŸŒŗšŸŒøšŸŒ¼

Good morning all.

Thank you for the welcome home.

I did not loose any weight yesterday on my FD. i think my body is adjusting to the return home and I am still feeling a little sluggish.

I will have another FD today as I really want to get back into loosing some weight not just maintaining the loss I have already had. I still have my goals to get to and with Christmas just around the corner I need to loose a few more KG before the big day!!

Reading the posts about Amazon and postage…..I have purchased books before and they took some time to arrive. I have also purchased goods from Japan, mainly make-up that my daughter likes to use and their postage for overseas had no options and was a flat $15 rate. The goods arrived in Australia within 3 days. Where I have ordered things from Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane for them to take 10-15 days for delivery. It seems that normal post things come up here by truck where if you pay the extra things will come by air and be quicker. I usually get the cartridges for our office printer from a company where if you spend more than $100 (which is easy to do when paying for these things) the postage is free and they arrive the next day.

Also Postage in Japan is so much better and a better price. For example, I usually take treats for some friends in Japan that I dont always get to see so post the treats to them once I get there. It costs me about 1,000 yen depending on the size of the package, which is about AUD$12.00. A few years ago I posted a block of vegemite chocolate to my friend in Japan who is a vegemite fanatic. The cost from Cairns to Japan was $50 for just one block of chocolate!!!
    Another interesting thing is that recently the transport company Toll has been purchased by Japan Post and while in Japan recently we were discussing that Japan Post has interest in Australia Post now.

I went looking for porridge yesterday afternoon. I went to a health food shop, but got confused with all the different brands and packets and still did not find the steel cut variety. Then I went to coles, both the cereal and health food aisles but was still confused. My mum used to buy Uncle Tobys oats, which you can still buy but I wanted to try something different. Ended up not buying any at all.

Thin, I was unsure about Cinque’s ward 5 bed 5 post too until the 5 days was said and then it clicked as well.

Cinque, great to see you posting again. You must be feeling better. Hugs are still being sent to you along with well wishes!!

Hi all SHs

Welcome home JJulie.

Hope you are improving daily Cinque. Sounds like you are settling into your routine again.

I went to a Vietnamese banquet Saturday, but I did not overeat – a bit under if anything. However, I started the christmas baking on Friday so I could take some shortbread for everyone as a small christmas gift Saturday night. I think there were about a dozen shortbread left over. Between Sunday and today, I’ve eaten all of them. Now I’m worried about the baking I still have to do for christmas.

This is the drawback to not normally having these things in the house. I get out of practice in walking past and ignoring them. Usually when I bake I take it all out of the house immediately so I don’t have to deal with baked leftovers. My confidence in dealing with these things is a bit shaky at the moment. Last year I gained 9kgs over December because I stopped controlling my daily food choices for a couple of weeks and ate lots of the things I’d baked. I have to bake more shortbread for gifts this weekend and then quite a lot more shortbread and confectionery for christmas day. I need a plan of resistance before I get the mixing bowl out again.

LJ, you didn’t have 5:2 in your toolbox last Christmas. You won’t gain 9kgs this year. You will work around the temptations using your FDs. If you do have a binge, it will be the first for a long time and you will learn from it. Don’t worry! You are a vastly improved person with your food choices and control than the person you were this time last year. We’ll start the Silly Season challenge in a couple of days and those participating will support each other. We will not gain any weight LJ!

JJulie, the steel cut oats I use are from Coles. I can’t recall the brand because I empty the packet into an airtight container. Give them a try! About the postage, I buy some products from China and they seem to arrive before I’ve pressed ‘send’. I don’t know know how they do it.

Cinque, it is indeed marvellous to have you back. Thank you for asking, DD had one day off before embarking on the exciting final year of practical rotations. But the vet hospital where she works on Saturdays had an interesting surgical case scheduled so they invited her in to observe/help. It was a cat that had been scalped in a fight and they had to do a skin graft to re-construct its face. Sounds disgusting to me but DD loved it – so there went the day off! I hope you’re enjoying the day with your little ones. Are you breathing well? Does it hurt to laugh?

Thanks for the pep talk Thin, I needed that.
    Every time I see evidence of old behaviour patterns with food I have to deal with the fear. It makes me feel pretty vulnerable. I will get my thinking back on track and confidence back in place. I’ve found some solutions to the immediate problem, although it doesn’t address my vulnerability to eating things just because they are there.

FD tomorrow, which will hopefully press reset.

I’ve been thinking of some solutions to the temptation of having shortbread and confectionery in the house. I’m going to do all the batches of shortbread dough this weekend and then refrigerate them in plastic until just before I need them. (They bake better from chilled anyway – I usually chill each tray before baking.) Then I just need to bake what I need for that batch of presents. It will cut down the work I have to do later and mean I don’t have cooked biscuits hanging around. (I’m a lot better at leaving raw dough alone than I am cooked biscuits.)

I have also spoken to my nephew (who loves cooking) and he’s going to make my mum’s confectionery recipes this christmas so I don’t have to. Probably time I passed the baton on anyway. I’ve been making these things for nearly 2 decades – I took over from mum when she died but I feel good about the next generation taking this on now. My nephew has young children, so he can teach them how to make them – I have memories of helping mum roll them in coconut when I was little.

I’m fairly happy with those decisions, they manage the current problem for me without having to throw family christmas traditions out the window. What they don’t address is my ability (or lack of it) to see temptation and walk away – that’s still a work in progress.

Good decisions LJoyce,
    And don’t forget some of your other tools like that zen eating one you were doing.

I had a lovely time with family today, especially as they brought some panadeine for me, things are getting easier.

Wow Thin, your daughter is a true medico! She will go far.

Thinatlast. The dog confusion. Son is away from home for the first time. The phone conversation with the teacher who is looking after him goes:

Teacher. “He is really missing his brother and sister”

P. “He hasn’t got a brother”

Teacher. “William?”

P. “Our Labrador”

We did once have a neighbour who had a daughter and a cat both called Amy. They had the cat first.

Thanks Penguin! Thanks Cinque.

Good morning SHs. Late start for me as I’m still fighting the fatigue from yesterday’s rheumatoid treatment. All movement feels like I’m trying to wade through treacle this morning.

Penguin, I loved the dog story. I’m not sure if your daughter should feel insulted that she was equal ranking with the dog in being missed – or just grateful to be included at all.

Hi Everyone, welcome back JjJwell done on your trip. Travelling and keeping weight stable can be done without compromising the enjoyment of different cultural foods.

Cinque – good to hear you have some help and more pain relief to help get through these early days. Youā€™re due lots of pampering.

Ljoyce – Iā€™m seconding Thin. This will be the Christmas when you look at food differently. You have been gathering and learning 5:2 tools all year and youā€™ll be keeping them in practice. My suggestion is you donā€™t give up any fasting days – keep doing 2 a week, even if you have to shift them around. Great that you are passing some of the cooking on to another generation.

How are our newbies going?

malcomvivian – hope you are both going well.

Hi Merry, are Malcolm and Vivian a couple? I thought that was one man’s name!

JJulie, yes, what Merry said, I forgot to say good job on your holiday weight.

Jingling bells are approaching šŸŽ„

Check-in: starting a FD today at 65.7kgs after a some Christmas functions, and 2 more in the next few days. Itā€™s been a bit of a challenging week otherwise, but weā€™re getting there. I would love a massage right now. Girding the proverbial louns here facing the Christmas foods in the shops and elsewhere.

Our usual pattern for Christmas has been:

1. not doing anything for Christmas till December 1st. If coming across something for a gift in my normal routine Iā€™d get it, but nothing extra-ordinary.

2. Christmas functions have well and truly moved into November, which does work better for me, energy wise, but brings food to the forefront, when I donā€™t really want it there. So I
    only go to those that mean the most to me. These functions always seem to be in restaurants now, and Iā€™m not particularly strong willed around food, so I get an entree or grilled fish and salad, and share dessert if I have any.

3. I canā€™t have Christmas food in the house till a couple of days before Christmas, itā€™s just too tempting, so we buy over the last couple days and have enough for Christmas Day and Boxing day. The only exception is a tray of Kensington Pride mangoes, quite a few of which get eaten by our expat who canā€™t get them overseas, and indulges when home for Christmas.

Limiting Christmas foods to those 2 days has been essential for me over the years. I keep out of the kitchen and the next generation and my OH, and now a little granddaughter budding chef, do all the buying and cooking. We make sure each person has the 1food that really spells Christmas to them, but generally, the old traditions are mostly gone, and new ones being put in place eg prawns. We donā€™t even have a Christmas cake, which I find sad, but hey, prawns are low in calories, and much lower than Christmas cake. We all tend to put on weight, no natural skinnies here, and, as a family, we made a joint decision to limit Christmas food celebrations to those 2 days.

4. We no longer give food treats or chocs to each other as gifts, and we limit the Christmas treats on our Ch Day and Boxing Day as well. Having so many different Christmas treats around, and now exposed to other cultures Christmas treats, we just felt overloaded, so weā€™ve cut back. It seemed lovely decades ago when treats werenā€™t on tap all the time, but now they are, so times change. I do miss some things though.

5. Our December will mostly be away from home so Iā€™m a bit concerned I was able to get my weight down as much as I wanted before this, but I just have to work out how to get through it unscathed. First thing to be packed will be my travel scales. Iā€™ve also, through these last few months got out of the habit of recording and graphing my weight. So… drawing up a new record today.

6. Iā€™ll be joining Thinā€™s silly season thread when it starts. It helped me a lot last year.

Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Thin – I think youā€™re right. Iā€™m getting mv mixed up with someone else -sorry mv. How are you managing with your diabetes?

Thin – Congrats to your daughter for finishing her yearšŸ‘šŸ¼ – laughing at her 1 day off going in voluntarily to watch an op. Wishing her well for her last year.

Ah, just remembered a topic – favourite bird – sparrow, the common little ladies and gents. This week a new family of 3 babies made it out of the nest and snuggled down on top of a large post on our veranda, with parental supervision from the gutter above – very sweet.

Merry, thank you for your kind good wishes. I loved reading your Christmas food tips. Perhaps you can paste your post into the Silly Season Challenge when I put it up on Friday. It really puts things into perspective that this is a two day festivity at best, yet it’s often turned into something closer to two months of needless over-indulging.

Like you, I don’t consider anything Christmas-related until December. I have only just then been motivated to check which day of the week it falls on. Great for me – Monday! Christmas & Boxing Days sandwiched in between my usual FDs.

Re: MV, he’ll have to return from the beach quickly to defend himself. Otherwise we could have him pegged as a split personality.

Hi all, second time poster. Merryme – I enjoyed reading your plan for tackling the silly season. I’m looking forward to having 5:2 up my sleeve for this period, so I can indulge a little an feel less guilty.

So, my wheels well and truly fell off after week one. I did a my first fast day in week two and at 9pm gave in to my extreme cravings and ate a bowl of Sustain cereal. I actually think it was the Magnum ice cream the day before – sugar seems to completely erode any willpower for the days following.

So – I didn’t fast all last week but feel very privileged to have maintained the 2kg I lost in week one. I have been at a conference on Monday and Tuesday and had no chance of doing fast days and I even ate 10 nuggets from McDonalds last night in my last hurrah before shaking myself back into reality. Jumped on the scales today, and have maintained the weight loss despite the deviation.

Today was my first fast day this week and it was going pretty well until about 5-6pm. Went to the supermarket and managed only to buy a little soup for dinner and some chicken necks for my dogs. Took them for a walk after eating my soup, and now ravenously hungry. Going to go to bed early to try and fight the urge.

Hopefully I wake up tomorrow feeling stronger for having survived today’s fast.

Not sure about putting this in the science thread, but thought it may produce some interesting discussion among us:

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/2017/11/22/put-down-lettuce-leaf-theres-better-way-healthy-weight

Will write properly tomorrow.

Cinque. Interesting. I don’t buy all of it but I believe what it says about the body having a particular weight it regards as the norm, and that you can adjust this. Over the last few years my body norm has come down in steps. I lose some then plateau for a while, but the plateau works both ways – I can break the rules and be unwise quite a lot before I gain weight. If I then start to gain weight I can get it down to the norm very easily. To get it below the norm requires effort. The weight my body regards as normal is now about 45 pounds less than when I started. I would like another 7 pounds but I have been a little too relaxed lately.

I thought it was interesting too Cinque. Certainly the set point theory will resonate with a lot of us serial dieters.
    We are up in Bali, waiting for Mount Agung to either blow or settle down. No FDs while I am here but very mindful eating and a couple of weeks after we get home, to get back into it properly before Christmas.
    I’ve enjoyed reading the Christmas strategies. Always a tough time. With the best intentions, there’s always too much to eat and drink. When I was a young child, I always thought of the period between Christmas and New Year as a sort of free zone. I didn’t even realise there were dates for that time. So that’s how I am going to tackle post-Christmas. No FDs… too hard with visitors coming and plans with friends. Not a free for all, certainly, but by New Year’s Day I will be ready to commit afresh.

Good evening to all,

Yes it is late, I know!! I just had a busy day and although I tried a couple of time to log in and post it just did not happen.

Weight this morning was 79.2kg so that is a little loss from my return home.

I have only had liquids today and then Taiko drum practice tonight that really created a sweat!! It was great to get back to the drumming again.

Thin, I looked for the oats in the supermarket today and read the packets of everyone I found but could not see where they were steel cut. One packet that looked good though was Lowans, but I still did not buy as they had two varieties, original and quick.

Yes Christmas is coming and I wondered what to buy our daughters for their presents. Daughter #1 informed us she will be traveling a lot next year. Wanting to do a singles cruise, then travel to New York, but then also Japan in April. She has saved up some money and has taken a year off of teaching so she can spend some time for herself after her terrible breakup. We have offered to pay her airfare to New York as her Christmas Present. Daughter #2 informed us she is wanting a new laptop to do the special effects for her photography, so we have some expensive presents this year!! As my father used to say to me, what you get now you wont get later!!

There is a lot of information about Christmas foods etc on the posts and I just have to take some time to digest them all. So much information but too little time today to take it all in.

LindsayL, you said you are in Bali. When we arrived on Sunday morning we were told we could not leave the plane until advised due to flights being diverted to Cairns and they were hoping to clear the terminal before anymore people arrived. So we sat on the plane for 20 minutes after we arrived. It was not too bad in the end for us as we were at the end of our journey, but those diverted were only on their beginning and had already been stopped. Dont know the outcome from their journey except that I have seen that the flights are still cancelled even today.

Well now it is getting late so will catch up again soon.

Good morning all and goodbye to spring – last day of spring today.

Day after FD – down 400gm.

Lunch out today but with like minded friends so meal out strategies will be easy to put in place –

1. light main plate – grilled fish and salad or lower cal veg, or entree. Entree sizes are a bit hit and miss.

2. Sparkling water to drink

3. May or may not. Have small shared desert. Probably not today.

4. Dessert and coffee can be rolled into 1 by having affogato and asking for only one tiny scoop of ice cream in it.

Off early to follow up medical stuff for OFM (other family member)

Onwards and downwards
    Merry

Morning losers & maintainers,

Merry, you’re such a good strategist. Dining with like-minded friends and having an OH who enjoys sharing is such a bonus. Have a wonderful time! Hoping both your dear OFMs are recovering well. I hadn’t realised that I’d had a fast buddy yesterday although you did say so at the top of your post.

Lindsay, I thought that was funny about the week between Xmas and NY having no dates!

SBullen, I also find that FDs can be harder when I’ve had too much sugar the day before. If you’re likely to feel hungry later at night, try keeping something in reserve in your calorie bank such as a boiled egg or 50gm of cottage cheese. If you find you don’t need it, you’ve given yourself an extra bonus.

JJulie, good job staying in the 70s. Steel Cut Oats are with the other varieties and clearly marked on the packet. Lovely gifts for your girls. Do they both live at home? Our DD loves photography too; for her 21st we gave her a voucher to upgrade her camera. That’s been 11 months and she’s had no time off all year to go and buy one.

Cinque, I liked the article you posted. I have no scientific justification for it but the idea of losing weight slowly just makes sense to me and feels right. I doubted you’d be buying his book when I read that exercise is essential to weight loss which we now know isn’t true. I wouldn’t buy it either because, despite what he claims, I think it would seem like a perpetual diet with no clearly defined parameters. I need strict boundaries which is why I’m so well-suited to 5:2. It’s so easy to make it a sustainable WOL.

My UK brother’s staying up to watch the Ashes and wants to know why Adelaide is a half hour ahead of Brisbane when it’s so much further west.

Thin I don’t know the answer about Adelaide, but I do know that China (about the size of the USA) has only one time zone … which means when its daylight in some places it’s still dark in others. Xinjiang in the far north west for example is 12,000 kilometres from the south, but they still officially keep the same time . All done for national harmony, apparently.
    My hotel room comes with a set of scales. I thought I was being pretty moderate. The scales don’t agree. Sigh. It is raining cats and dogs here in Bali, so exercise is a bit limited, apart from swimming when it’s not bucketing down.

Hi all. Yet another quick skim through posts. Apologies for the fact that I am only posting about myself at the moment as I’m unable to take in much on my quick skim throughs to comment on others posts.

I have my second lot of minor surgery this arvo following the complications from last week. Fingers crossed things go to plan this time.

MissD is having a 2 night sleepover at a friends ths weekend while OH and I have a weekend away. We were planning on some beach time but the forecast is storms and rain…..all good though….time spent together is a bonus regardless of the weather. We made a pac that we will not give bday or xmas presents and instead will have time away together to celebrate the occasion….early Dec is OHs bday.

My planned FDs fell in a hole this week. ..yet another full on busy week. Oh well theres always next week.

Best wishes to everyone

Hi SHs,
    Just home from a busy morning of appointments and errands.
    Lunch included the treat of fresh cherries, which were lovely.

Thin – the reason Adelaide is ahead of Brisbane in the summer is daylight saving. The time zones make sense in the colder months – the further west you go the earlier the time. However, all sense goes out the window in summer when some states and territories have daylight saving and some don’t. Unless it’s changed recently, Qld, WA and NT don’t have daylight saving and I think everyone else puts their clocks forward by an hour. I used to work for a commonwealth government agency and we had people in every state – trying to organise phone meeting at a time that suited everyone was difficult enough in winter and worse in summer when the time zones span a 3 hour period.

GDSA – hope you get a better result from today’s surgery.

Lindsay – hopefully your scales at home will have better news. The hotel scales are probably not calibrated the same as your own.

Cinque – I read the article and thought I’d respond in a separate post as I have a bit to say. I do agree with some of it, but not all. Losing weight in stages certainly worked for me when I lost the bulk of my weight, so guess I agree with that as this is the first time I’ve kept the weight off for years rather than just a few weeks/months. I lost roughly 25kg then had an 18month break and maintained before attempting the next 25kg. I had medical reasons for the 18 month break, but I have often wondered if it actually helped me get o my goal weight in the end.

Set point theory however, I’m not so sure about – it’s a theory that can be made to fit some of the lived experience, but not all of it. I’ve lost and regained drastic amounts of weight over the decades. My experience has been that my body is very efficient at regaining losses, but I don’t know how much was biological mechanisms and how much was just reverting to old eating and thinking patterns. I believe it’s not about a set point because all of my old experience was that I did not return to my old weight but to a higher one. This debunks “set point” as I would have returned to the same weight if set point were true, not a higher weight.

However there are a couple of studies that show that morbidly obese people who lose large amounts of weight quickly also have a drop in calorie requirements that is beyond expectations – their TDEE is under the average by a greater percentage after weight loss than before. To me this better explains why, when these people regain weight they end up at a higher weight not their original weight. They return to eating the same amount of food as they ate before dieting, but now those calories maintain a higher weight than they did before weight loss. To me this better fits my own experience and that of other morbidly obese people that I know.
    I know that my own TDEE is well below the average that the accepted calculation methods say it should be and it’s been that way for a long time. As I’ve tracked everything during weight loss and beyond I also know that this worsened after weight loss.
    Before I started my weight loss journey in 2012 I weighed 127kg and over the month that I tracked my food (before stating to diet) I averaged 8,390kj (1,998cal) per day. According to the TDEE calculators I should have been able to eat 9,365kj (2,238cal) and maintain that weight. This means my body needed 10% fewer calories that it theoretically should have to maintain my weight (and my weight was stable over the month I monitored). Since losing those 50kg my body requires fewer calories, which you would expect, but in percentage terms I am even further under the average TDEE than I was before. My current TDEE according to the calculators is 6,780kj (1,620cal), but I know from monitoring that the calories I actually need to maintain this weight are actually 5,800kj (1380cal). This represents a 14% reduction on the calories that I should theoretically be able to eat without gaining weight. It’s more than 2 1/2 years now since I lost this weight and my TDEE hasn’t improved so I don’t think time is going to bring it any closer to normal.

The support group that I had at the time, with others who were morbidly obese and trying to lose weight quickly using a VLCD program reported a similar outcome. For some it was a reason to admit defeat and give up. For me it explained why it was such a struggle to maintain the weight loss – and after dealing with the shock it was actually helpful.

What I don’t know is whether the patterns that occur with the morbidly obese are the same for people who are just overweight – especially those who only entered that “plump” territory in middle age and for the first time ever are faced with the possible need to diet. It’s possible that people who oscillate between binge eating themselves into obesity and crash dieting may have bodies that work a little differently to those who have mostly been a normal weight, or close to it. I guess where I’m going with this, is that one theory may not fit all human beings.

Cinque, thank you for posting that article. I agree with some of it. Iā€™m not so sure I believe in the set point theory. But I do agree that losing weight slowly is the best way to keep it off. Like LJoyce, it seems like every time I went back to normal eating after a calorie restricted weight loss diet, I gained everything back and then some. I believe that limiting calories for too long will slow the metabolism. Iā€™ve never kept track long enough afterwards but Iā€™m pretty sure this has been true in my case. Thatā€™s one reason I like the 5:2 way of eating. Eating 500 calories twice a week isnā€™t long enough to slow my metabolism. Eating mindfully the rest of the week and sometimes going a little overboard on the weekends seems to be a good thing. Sometimes a 1 day binge is just what I need before a FD, or once in a while a B2B to move off of a plateau.

I have to believe that eventually the metabolism moves back closer to normal, but I donā€™t really have anything to back that up.

The 5:2 isnā€™t the fastest way to lose weight, but it is dependable and easy to live with. The past couple of months Iā€™ve had too many days of overeating, but seem to be staying around 59 to 61 kg, up and down with the FDs. I really do want to get to 58 before I call it maintenance so need to be more mindful on NFD.

LJoyce, thank you for all your comments on the article and your experience with losing weight. Keeping figures on losses and TDEE long term is something most people donā€™t do, so itā€™s very interesting to read. I can see why youā€™re a Statistician. šŸ˜Š

Gday, I hope your surgery went well.

Thin, you must be so proud of your daughter, barely taking any time off from studying and now being a vet in training. Being such an animal lover, her profession is near and dear to my heart. She certainly seems dedicated.

Cinque, I hope you are feeling better and that you have good news from the surgeon today.

Lindsay, are you in Bali on holiday, or for work?

GDay. Being in a very different time zone this is late – so I hope it went well.

Cali, I’m afraid I went a bit overboard with the data collection I have almost 5 years of records that include my daily weight. Every single thing I ate and drank and the kilojoule count of it. What time of day I ate it. Minutes and type of exercise. Plus any relevant emotional & health details that might be connected to diet or eating patterns. I even have nearly 3 years of records of daily nutrient analysis (carbs, fat, protein, sugar and fibre). It’s not surprising that I got to christmas last year and “hit the wall” and decided I was having a fortnight off from all measurement. That’s when I gained 9kg and ended up on 5:2 to get it off again. I’ve realised that all things require a bit balance and perspective – I lost sight of that for a while.

Calif We are just holidaying…back to work in a couple of weeks.
    GDSA hope all went well today.
    JJ is it good to be home?
    Cinque hope you are recovering well.
    Ljoyce…thank you for your kind words about the scales….but although they may weigh higher than mine at home, they are still going up at a rate that alarms me. Hotel food is laden with hidden calories I think. Even the wiser choices seem to taste too buttery to be the same as a similar dish I would cook. I don’t know what the answer is….unless it’s to stay home (and that’s not going to happen).
    Thank you too LJoyce for your honest and insightful comments about weight gain post diet. I once went on a liquid (modifast) diet and peeled the weight off … But also losing my hair and gall bladder in the process. Once I restarted ‘normal’ eating, I regained it all….plus ten kilos, which is where I am now.

Today Iā€™ve been able to go back to getting SH posts as direct emails , yay!

Lj – you always have such good insights into things like the weight set point article. Fascinating reading. Thank you.

Lindsay – I have a suggestion to your holidaying weight gain dilemma, if you want to try it. Like Thin, Iā€™ve travelled overseas more than once without putting on heaps of weight. Thin walks heaps while away which helps her, but I canā€™t walk a long way or fast, so for me itā€™s all about what I do with food and drink.

1. Both of us take small travel scales and that gives a reckoning each morning that lets us know how weā€™re going. I still do my 2 FDs while travelling and itā€™s even motivated others on tour to do the same, including a Turkish guide who started talking with his Dr about 5:2. We were a small group travelling together for several weeks, so my scales were used by more than me.

2. Setting goal – my goal was always the same – to come home the same weight as when I left.

3. Reducing portions, trying lots of new things, but only small portions.

4. Choosing least obviously fattening meal

5. No calories in drinks -Drinking sparkling water most of the time. Teas as a hot drink.

6. If thereā€™s a choice of soups I have a clear consomme.

7. Sharing dessert or morning /afternoon tea, or anything thatā€™s a starchy carbohydrate.

8. Most importantly for me – not eating or drinking any calories till lunch everyday. I never go to breakfast.

Hope thereā€™s something there that helps.

Merry

1 December, tomorrow for me, is the first day of winter. Today has been a lovely clear day with brilliant sunshine in our part of the country, but cold. 3C with a wind making it feel like minus 3C. In the north and east they have had snow. Tonight’s temp for us is forecast to be minus 3 or 4 C. In the far north it will be minus 10C. I like cold, clear weather, but it is the season for solid, warming and filling food. This evening we are going to a country pub we favour, where there will be a log fire and good food. Yesterday I bought the Christmas goose, which is now sitting in my freezer. This is a fun, sociable time of year and the one at which I most need 5:2.

Gday, I do so hope that everything went well for you yesterday.

LJoyce, did you have a good recovery from your treatment? Your busy morning yesterday sounds as if you did, but maybe it was exhausting work. Also, are you completely over your chest infection? Fingers crossed for a run of better health now!

Lindsay, I hear they managed to get a lot of people home yesterday, were you among them? Or is your holiday continuing? Being in limbo is very hard when you are trying to get new habits going. However it will have been a great opportunity to observe how you act in such a hotel situation: which things are hardest, what are the traps. I loved Merry’s list. Is it possible to have a fast day?

Penguin, what a great story about William, a proper family member. I loved the Amy story too, I’ve known a couple of cases when it got close to that, but never actually happening in the same home!

Extraordinary to hear about your Winter, our final Spring day was like tropical Darwin, 35 and muggy, and we are forecast to get a whole Summer’s worth of rain over the next three days.
    How I wish people had listened to the climate scientists a couple of decades earlier! It is going to devastate produce and so many possible dangers.

JJulie, enjoy that Christmas shopping. Is your daughter recovered now? She has a great Christmas coming!

Merry, so excited you might be at a life place where you can be here more!

Thin, glad your brother’s head didn’t explode. Ah Queensland, bless it!

This was post part one, I think I have two more!

I had my follow up appt yesterday. They kept my sister and me waiting two and a half hours and then got us in to say yes there was a cancer (non-small-cell which is good) and yes they definitely got it all, so as lung cancers go I won the lucky ride. They really don’t need to follow up, but they will anyway, with scans for the next five years. I can get my stitches out on Monday.
    I was wrecked and my sister kept from working on her final course assignment, but we figured that if it was a cosmic bargain we won’t complain.

My breathing has been amazingly good, not that I have worked them hard, but it is as though I haven’t lost half a lung at all. The sites where they had all the tubes (it was keyhole surgery) got quite sore and swollen so that made the stitches really hurt, but that is settling down now.

I just need to gradually increase what I do as my pain levels allow and keep looking after my health.

So it is good news from me.

Cinque, What wonderful news for you!! I am so glad you had good news. Still sending hugs though as you recover.

Viewing 50 posts - 13,801 through 13,850 (of 28,018 total)

You must be logged in to reply.