Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 1 week ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 13,151 through 13,200 (of 28,011 total)

• CalifDreamer. No machines. We are very basic, just a mat between us and the floor. Recently we have started using a ball under the feet to give unsteadyness to the exercise, which causes the core to work harder, and the girls use stretchy bands for resistance work to build up strength. Those who also do yoga say Pilates is different. I have never tried yoga, but I find some of the Pilates very like Tai Chi. I also include a core session in my gym workouts.

After Pilates this morning I worked in the garden. The patch I am digging hasn’t been turned in living memory and appears at various times to have been a building and a rubbish dump. I am feeling a little tired but the scales suggest that my current fast and the exercise have taken about 7 lbs off me. I’m back to my target weight.

Good morning all. CalifDream thinking of you and your family with the devastating fires. My microwave died last year and I thought I could do without it and not buy another……silly me…..within a week I bought a new one. Having lunch at a coffee shop with a girlfriend today and then to the pub for tea later in the week so juggling FDs this week.

CalifDreamer. I’ve just seen the evening news. It looks horrendous. Stay safe.

Hello everyone and thankyou so much for all your good wishes for yesterday, I got them all. They worked. <3 šŸ™‚ <3
    It was all very straightforward (as far as I can tell) and they gave me something to stop me throwing up (which was my reaction for hours and hours last time I had a general anaesthetic). While that was wonderful it meant I was left with the other horrible symptoms of the anaesthetic: nasty irritability, no concentration and a feeling that life is not worth living. That is why I didn’t write when I got home! But I did have my granddaughters here to distract me, and this morning I feel so delighted to be back to normal. I get the results Thursday next week.

Cali, thinking of your part of the world. Wildfires are the main natural disaster we experience in southern australia and they scare me more than any other. I hate how quickly your ones took off and hate the knowledge that the death toll is likely to keep rising. Fingers crossed it is unexpectedly lower. I do hope your rellies recover from the horror quickly and are able to get settled soon.

Lindsay, glad your colonoscopy is over and done with, and hoping they find helpful and non scary things as a result.

And now to the posts that are fun and games.

Ha Lily Martin, I think if I sat on a hot pizza stone it would fix my soggy bottom!
    Loved the clip LJoyce, I haven’t seen that movie for ages and this scene is the main thing I remember.

LJoyce so glad your binge was good food and soon to be counteracted by some nice fast days.
    You will have such fun visiting the Middle Eastern shops. The one I go to is so popular that everything is very fresh and I get most of my pantry staples from it!

Re your menu, my choice would be the chicken and avocado salad.

Hi Quakka, lovely to have you here. Congratulations on your 6 weeks, that is about what I had done before I found these forums. Fingers crossed this isn’t a wobbly week, but come and complain if it is!

Arelkade, I am glad you got through a difficult fast day. My mantra on such days is “I can do anything for just one day”. And you did it. So nice to know you are enjoying this thread, and you are part of it now!

Gday, so glad the 2kg slipped away so quickly. Hooray!

Minka, so glad to see your post and that you are wending your way back to 5:2 and your gorgeous trousers!

I’m no help with the walking JJulie, as my illness means just walking around the block is something to do on a really good day. It will be interesting to hear the range of walkers here. But I think it is just a matter of doing what does fit in your life and suit your physicality. However, have a read of this that turned up in my feed today, if you hadn’t known how they walked in the Middle Ages!
    https://pictorial.jezebel.com/this-video-of-how-medieval-people-walked-is-oddly-compe-1819217663

And now I want to buy aduki beans BUT I NEED TO USE UP THE MEXICAN RED BEANS FIRST!

I do love the kitchen appliance discussion.

Here is my thermomix contribution! (funny) (language warning) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yr_etbfZtQ (and a bit of a white wine review too).

I was one of the last people in Australia to get a microwave, but it immediately became indispensable, and when it broke down I bought a new one the same day. I do mostly use it for warming heat bags as I suffer badly from cold feet.
    I try to avoid appliances because I have a tiny kitchen, I REALLY want to be a minimalist (fail) and I hate getting things in and out of cupboards.
    I have a stove top pressure cooker, so not an electrical appliance, but being a bean-eater it is my best friend, and now I have stopped being vegetarian I love it for my meat stews. And for cooking rice (no quicker but beautifully cooked).
    I adore my foodprocessor, which is a good strong one with a blender attached, so (being a minimalist) I don’t have a blender wand. It sits on the bench with the electiric jug and the spice grinder. I toast my bread under the grill (just to be slightly minimalist šŸ˜‰ )
    I’ve lent my little Frosty icecream maker to a friend and I purchased a deep fryer with thoughts of arancine but I can’t bring myself to fill it up with 2 litres of oil just for one meal and I only want deep fried things now and then. Can’t bring myself to give it away yet! So it sits in a cupboard.

Penguin, what a wonderful tale of pilates! So glad you discovered it!
    I need to do very gentle yoga, but I am determined to make it happen more as it is so good for me, so long as I don’t overdo it. I once did Tai Chi for several months and absolutely loved it! When I moved away the teacher said ‘make sure you practice every day, or it will forsake you’. But I didn’t…. and it did. šŸ™

Well, I am just going to copy this before posting as I couldn’t bear it to disappear!

Edit: so it didn’t disappear. Murphy’s Law? Cheers all.

Two days without a morning post from Cinque is concerning. I do hope all’s OK. Hi Minka. Nice to see your post. Merry, it’s been a few weeks since your FIL’s funeral. I hope you’re OK too.

CalifD, so sorry to hear of the plight of your family. I know how devastating those fires can be. And very unpredictable.

JJulie, I walk a minimum of 5km per day and sometimes 12km. If I’m walking alone, I add some HIT. I don’t walk for weight loss but for general well-being. When we returned from Porto last year, we scoffed at what we’d previously called a hill. Now, it’s back to being a hill again. But most of the walk is flat as it follows the Swan River. There are a couple of other beautiful river walks that we enjoy but they’re a short car ride away and it seems wrong to drive to do a walk.

When we renovated, I designed our kitchen and it’s been perfect. It’s mostly drawers. By design, there are no high cupboards so the kitchen contains only items that are in regular use. Bulkheads come down to meet the highest cupboards eliminating that awful greasy void on top of cupboards. The highest cupboards open upwards with gas lift hinges. All cupboards are only one plate deep so everything is within easy access. And, best of all, there are no inaccessible corner cupboards which are my pet hate. Instead, two ‘corner’ spaces are accessed from the other side of the kitchen in the form of two large deep drawers containing large platters and items used for al fresco dining. Another corner is taken up with a step-in pantry. The only appliances on display are the kettle and coffee machine; the others are slid out and used in place – primarily the coffee grinder concealed near the coffee machine nook and the stick mixer being housed next to the stove. No clutter. I love it.

FD for me. I need it. The neighbour who loves to bake, but not to eat, was round with some sweet goodies yesterday. To those who’ve expressed difficulty with FDs, stick with them, they do become easy. After 3 years of fasting, I still plan ahead so there are no surprises. I try to embrace any hunger and know that it’s doing my body good. Think carefully about what you’re eating on FDs. Protein keeps you full. All the best.

P.S. Hurray, all is well with you Cinque. And you reminded me to welcome Quacka!

Hi Everyone again. Thank you all for your lovely welcome’s! I live near Nowra on the South coast of NSW.

I wanted to share something with you all. I have lost about 8 kgs since I started this program and yesterday I checked on my fitness pal to see how long it has been since I was down to this weight. Well! I started on my fitness pal in 2012 and that year I was still 3 kgs heavier than I am now. I was around 79kg when I started and I am now about 71kg, though today I weighed myself and I was 70kg. I am so happy to be losing the weight that I have hated for so long now.

Thank you for being here and I wish you all success in what you are trying to achieve too šŸ™‚

Cinque, glad you are feeling much better today. I watched your video link and tomorrow I might see what it is like to be a ball walker rather than a heel walker!! We walked 5 kilometres this morning, we started earlier as it is getting hotter here but my friend in the end had some spasms in her back so we had to slow down. Ended up taking 75 minutes to do the walk. I got home so hot with OH wondering where I had been as he was waiting for me to return before he left for work. We decided to only do the long walk every second day and the shorter 4kilometre walk in between.

Thermomix has been popular in Cairns and my walking friend’s daughter was a thermomix agent where you had parties and demonstrate how to use it as well as taking orders etc. The only thing though was all the bad news about people getting awful burns from it when things went wrong. They were so expensive. I personally would not buy one, but then I also would not buy a pressure cooker. They scare me to tell you the truth.

Thin, I agree with you it seems wrong to drive to do a walk but there is a great walking area in Cairns called the Red Arrow where you climb up steps to the top of the hill overlooking Cairns city and view of the harbour and Green Island in the distance then a gentle walk down the the beginning. I completed this only once many years ago and thought I would die in the process!!! but while I did the one circuit one young girl passed me 4 times without even looking like she was getting a sweat up!! I would love to try it again now I have been doing some walking for a couple of weeks and see how I go, but I might leave this little test till just before I visit Japan in November. Around my house there are lots of little parks and walking tracks for us to choose a variety of routes. One of the larger parks even as gym equipment in it so you can stop and do some arm or leg work which I think I will start doing on my way round.

Great job Quacka. Lovely news.

JJulie, we have a place like that – 242 steps up the side of a steep cliff leading to Kings’ Park called ‘Jacob’s Ladder’. It overlooks the city. OH and DD have used it to exercise but I avoid it due to my OA knees.

I am deeply suspicious of any product that can only be sold by party plan. A guaranteed way to strain a friendship. However, I believe CalifD recently spotted Thermomix on Amazon so perhaps they’ve changed their business model.

Thanks for the thoughts Cinque, LJoyce, penguin and CalifDreamer. All good news, apart from my weight. I’m hoping it’s fluid, because the scales are locked in at a level I thought I’d said goodbye to. I’m drinking all the water I can today….I’m at work, and between consultations I wander up to the kitchen and get a large glass of hot water (which tastes better than it sounds). Anyway, it’s another FD today, so I’m hoping I’ll be up and down all night, which is usually a good sign.
    penguin it’s interesting to see how programs like Pilates can turn around severe injury. I have had terrific results with myotherapy (which I’d never heard of until I was trying to get back on my feet after a herniated disc). It’s like physiotherapy on steroids, and the treatment involves intense (!) massage until muscles and tendons trigger and then relax. After 6 months of crippling pain, I was back walking with only the occasional twinge. Myotherapy was the last resort, and now when I swing into my GP’s surgery, he just shakes his head in amazement.
    OK it looks like my last consultation isn’t coming after all so I think I’ll take an early mark.
    All the best friends

So today I am being very focused on my FD. Both Monday and Tuesday were a FD fail. I have had my 5 kilometre walk, green tea for breakfast and morning tea and tomato soup for lunch. 65 calories all up for the tomato soup and nothing for the green tea. I have Taiko lesson tonight and that can be a good workout too.

I was going to bake a piece of salmon each for dinner but now I checked the calories and it will be about 400 calories per piece that I bought. I did not realise that they were so high in calories. I will just have to make another soup now to have instead.

Lindsay, I’m also drinking lots of cups of hot water today – but mine has a delicious Madame Flavour teabag dunked in! Choc mint. Sorry that I neglected to send good wishes for your colonoscopy. I was thinking of you though and I’m relieved that it went well as it’s not a procedure without risk especially in an older age group. We almost lost a very dear family friend from a supposed ‘routine’ colonoscopy last year. The good news is that once you’ve had one returned ‘negative’, there is no indication to repeat the test for at least 20 years, if at all. Unfortunately, our friend was not so well-informed at the time that his was prescribed.

JJulie, good luck with today’s fast being a screaming success. Salmon steaks are too high in cals for my FDs too. I sometimes have smoked salmon as part of a FD meal. 50gm salmon, 80gm steamed asparagus and a poached egg with 1tbs yoghurt/fresh dill/lime juice comes in at 195cals. I know you’ve been at this for a long time but twice recently you’ve written something that made me wonder if I should ask this of you. You’re sticking to 500 cals or less regardless of how much exercise you do on a FD, correct? I’m sure you would be, but I’m just checking!

One more hour until my first intake for the day so I think I’ll go and weed the lawn. I’m sure the lawnmower man brings all the weeds in.

thanks thinatlast. I must say I was glad to get it out of the way but felt the need to do it because of (a) a nagging friend who works in the field and (b) another friend who’s just a month older than I am, who had the procedure fully expecting it to be fine, but it wasn’t (and the hospital admitted her immediately). She’s recovered I am pleased to say, after very nasty surgery and chemo. I have some family history, so they say do it again in 5 years. There’s something to look forward to!
    I so miss salmon steaks on my FDs – although I get around it by having fresh salmon from …mmm…can I say the store? It’s Aldi, and they do a pack of 4, at 125 grams each. I find sometimes the steaks from the other supermarkets are just too big. Another fantastic FD product available from the big supermarkets is Hart & Soul soup. I take 2 to work on F days …one for around lunch-time, another just before I leave, to hold me until dinner. I’ve just had the Pho (with konjac)…32 calories…and there’s a Wonton with shitake mushrooms, for 42 calories. And the best bit? it’s additive /preservative free, according to the label.

Cinque. Two days of morphine got me. The nurse on the receiving end was very understanding, it happens a lot.

Lots of good weight control news around at the moment, so I’ll add to it. I was on my target weight for two weeks in August, relaxed and put some back on. I am now back on target. Obviously I need a target to stop complacency setting in. I have set a new target 7 lbs down.

Well here it is nearly 8pm and I have just returned from my Taiko lesson. After my last post I suddenly realised that I am not including my Taiko lessons as an exercise activity and because I really get a workout I should. Checking out the Exercise on the Myfitnesspal Diary I worked out that a 60 minute lesson (that sometimes goes overtime) with 10 minutes of stretches and warm up giving myself 50 minutes of drumming I can burn off 266 calories add that to the big walk today and I had a total of 595 calories burnt off.

With a goal of 500 calories only for the day and burning off 595 calories with exercise I had a total of 1095 calories I could use for my FD. I have kept to the FD strictly today and the calculations come in that I have only used up 258 calories and have 837 remaining for today. There is no way I am going to use them up so I am feeling really pleased with today’s effort.

So Yes Thin, I am sticking to my 500 calories for a FD no matter how much exercise I do. Thanks for reminding me of this. I had it in my head that I might be able to eat more, but then thought it was not necessary as I am feeling quite contented with what I have eaten. Dinner tonight ended up being a quick pot of velvety chilli butternut soup with cannelini beans blended into a thick soup that was/is very filling.

With all the talk of a colonoscopy lately, I was not surprised that our Government sent me a wonderful 60th Birthday Present. Yes the Bowel testing kit!! My mother passed away from Bowel cancer 22 years ago so because it is in the family I have had a colonoscopy previously as well.
    OH had his bowel cancer kit done earlier this year for the first time and it came back with a not so good result. He went in for a colonoscopy to make sure and ended up with having 3 polyps removed. They tested ok thank goodness and he was told they would contact him in 3 years to book in another colonoscopy.

Hoping for a good result on the scales in the morning

The sky is gray with all the smoke in the air this morning. The sun is trying to get through but looks like an eerie orange color. There is a fire that started last night in a wooded canyon area a ways east of here that is in a wild area with no housing, just lots of trees. But itā€™s contributing to all the smoke. Our niece and her family was evacuated again, further north, away from the fires that are still burning without any containment yet. What a nightmare this all is! I feel so bad for everyone that has lost their homes. This is the biggest California fire in an urban area that I can recall. Usually they are in more remote areas and canyons. Iā€™ve been feeling really stressed with all of this.

Cinque, Iā€™m glad youā€™re finished with your procedure and have your GDā€™s there to keep you busy.

Thin, your kitchen sounds beautiful! The enclosures and cabinets sound great. You should post a picture. Itā€™s hard to imagine the bulkheads and how the cabinets open. Clutter on the counters is something I wish we could avoid.

Hope everyone is having a good day. Gotta get back to work. Iā€™ll write more later.

Quacka, how cool that your weight loss with 5:2 is even more than your old low on your Fitbit. And itā€™s pretty easy to fit the 5:2 into your lifestyle, isnā€™t it? 2 days a week fasting is doable. We always know we can eat the next day.

The adzuki beans I ordered from Amazon arrived today. Iā€™m anxious to try them. Iā€™m getting back to more beans and legumes in my diet. The fiber keeps me feeling full for a long time.

Good morning,
    What wonderful kitchen designers we have here, LJoyce and Thin!

Cali, my best wishes still flowing your way, everyone must be so stressed and tired with the fires still out of control and so changeable. I do hope the winds die down and give the firefighters a chance to get the fires under control.

Quakka, you are in beautiful country.
    Congratulations on getting to 70k! I am like you, I hate the prejudice against fat and cheer on people who love their bodies while they are overweight, but I never felt okay about my excess weight, I hated it, and I am so, so glad to have lost it. I’m very happy to keep 5:2ing for the rest of my life to remain this healthy weight.

JJulie I played around with walking medieval style yesterday and realised it was very familiar, I guess it is how I walked as a child. It did make my thighs and and calves ache! But I am going to try and do it more.
    I turned 60 in June (isn’t it weird) and got the same present from the government!

Lindsay, I hope all the water does its trick. It must feel great to have the colonoscopy out of the way for five whole years. And so lovely to read how myotherapy allowed you to recover so well from dreadful pain.
    What sort of consulting do you do? (ignore if you want to be private).

It is fast day for me today, I’m going to make it a good one!

Good Morning everyone and welcome to the newbies! I hope everyone is well and doing well with 5:2.

Well I haven’t read back over the last few weeks I’ve been away and I’ll just pick up from here and catch up a bit as I go along. Big mistake, I didn’t take my travel scales with me, but I tried to be, sort of, extra vigilent, and I’ve returned at the same weight as a few weeks ago, 65.5kgs. Very happy with that. I only did a few fast days, but on the other days I often didn’t eat till anywhere from 12-3pm. During these last months of stress 3pm is showing up regularly as a time I can fast till, so maybe there’s a physiological reason for that.

We have had a little holiday as well as other things away, and now heading into another stressful month, then recovering from that, and that hopefully will be our “annushorribulus” done. 3 1/2 months till the end of the year and I’ve set my goal at 62kg mid December. Next mini goal is 65.0kgs.

Bye for now,
    Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

Just popping back to say hello Merry! So glad to see your post. I am very glad you have had a bit of a holiday and congratulations on doing so ell without your travel scales.
    I’ll be thinking of you through the coming stressful month and hope that everything goes really well.
    Cheers for your mini goal!

I’m loving the kitchen design posts …isn’t it perfect, when we get exactly what we want in a kitchen? We spend so much time there, and they are expensive to redo if they’re not right. I had mine done 5 years ago now. Big gas hotplates with electric oven, and a separate gas oven. I went for grey polished concrete benches, and lots of drawers and concealed handles, with steel appliances. Very industrial, very functional. I had had enough of trying to find things in the back of low (or high) cupboards.
    Cinque I’m an academic language adviser, and I work with (mostly) international PhD students, helping them write and structure their theses. I love the work, and I like the students. They can be from just about anywhere, and my work is across disciplines For example today I have had a Chinese Education Phd, followed by an Economics PhD from Iran, and after that a Biomedical PhD from Russia. Yesterday was an Economics candidate, also from Russia, and a Physics student from Vietnam. I learn lots from them in the process of helping them.
    And yeah, down .2 of a kilo this morning, to my lowest since I started this program. Bye bye fluid! It’s not much, but motivating nevertheless.
    JustJulie, the nurse I saw for my first appointment told me polyps take five to 7 years to turn into cancer, and if everyone (older people esp) had regular colonoscopies, bowel cancer could almost be eliminated. It’s good to know that your OH is OK.
    Cinque enjoy your FD and breakfast tomorrow! (I think the piece of grainy toast I had this morning, after the dodgy diet of the past week, was probably the best I’d ever eaten). Another great thing about 5:2 is how good food tastes on the nonFDs.

Hi all I am a bit late today in posting.

I had a really good FD yesterday and clearly lost over 1kg in the process, although that did not quite get me back to 80k on the scale. I was 80.7, so today having another FD and eating similar to yesterday, with breakfast being a Green Tea, lunch was tomato soup and I have the velvet butternut soup left over from yesterday ready for dinner tonight. I also had one small carrot cut into carrot stick mid afternoon before I went to my Taiko lesson last night.

CalifD, Your description of the sky in the morning and the feel of your surroundings at the moment was so descriptive that I felt as if I was there with you. I have never heard it to be as bad as this before and hope and pray that it is under control soon so as not to spread any further. My heart hurts when I think of all the wildlife, family pets as well as people who have perished in this. My thoughts are with you all.

Hello Merryme, I remember you from two years ago. Great to hear you are still around.

LindsayL, Yes every little bit helps and is motivating. Congratulations on the loss. I heard something similar with the polyps when my mother was diagnosed with the bowel cancer and could relay it back to five years before when she had a “scare” and the doctor she went to did not investigate properly.

Well off to my Japanese lesson for this week. I shall look in again upon my return.

Good to hear from you Merry and that you’ve had a holiday! And stayed the same weight, hurray for all that. Hi Cinque, have a wonderful FD. Frothy Thursday for me.

Quakka, I remember when I broke through the 70 barrier and got into the 60s for the first time in decades. Psychologically so encouraging.

LJ, I hope you’re having a wonderful brunch and making some heroic but yummy menu choices.

CalifD, I feel for you. Those Santa Ana winds can be exhausting in themselves without the stress of the nearby fires. We have been told to prepare for a bad fire season in WA this summer – after an almost non-existent one last year. OH also works in fire fighting, not dumping the retardant buckets but he’s high above them in the ‘command post’ in the sky. It’s very stressful work for those making decisions about what to save. Apart from orchestrating all the players, there’s the media flying about running interference.

JJulie, wow what a loss! You’re doing a B2B fast? Good luck! Yes, I also think of the displaced and harmed wildlife in these fire tragedies.

Lindsay, your kitchen sounds fabulous. I’m fascinated by the second part of what that nurse told you. (*If everyone (older people esp) had regular colonoscopies, bowel cancer could almost be eliminated). I’d love to read the studies that back that up. Before I read your post this morning, I’d spent about 2 hours reading studies on this from around the world. I’m not a doctor, I no longer work in healthcare and I’m not attempting to give medical advice or purport to know anything. Please consider this chit chat among cyber mates as we might over coffee. At the time our dear friend was languishing in hospital near death from a complication from a second colonoscopy that should arguably never have been prescribed, two close doctor friends had just attended a conference on the very subject and this is where my interest began.

Notwithstanding those who’ve previously returned a positive result from a colonoscopy, everything I have read in studies dating back to 2006 concludes that, once a negative result has been returned, there is no indication for future testing within 20 years, if at all, especially in an older age group. And that it may well be contra-indicated in an older age group (over 70). I won’t cite the articles I read this morning because I accept that my own search criteria could have skewed the studies that were being returned. But the first full page of studies all pointed to this, even those carried out 11 years ago were concluding that 10 years would be the minimum recommended period before repeat testing. This was all borne out at the conference my neighbours attended.

Isn’t it interesting how we can be given such conflicting information? As I say, I’m no authority on this, my interest is personal but I’d encourage anyone being told they need a repeat colonoscopy after a negative result to thoroughly research this before putting themselves through it. It is not a procedure without risk.

It is a thoughtful birthday present from our government. How would like to have that job of testing the poo test results? On that delightful note, I hope everyone has a happy, healthy Thursday. GDSA, will you be coming up for air anytime soon?

sorry not enough time to edit that lot, s/b “how would you like to ……”

Hi everyone,
    I didn’t get my bowel testing kit last year so I rang a couple of weeks ago and was told I’d get one this year because was born in 1962 not 1961 as I’d told them??? They tell me Medicare must have my birthdate wrong (which they don’t) It’s so hard to fix up these annoying data entry slip ups! My friend was diagnosed with bowel cancer earlier this year and is having chemo.
    Calif, how terrible for you atm, I too pray that the fires will be put out quickly.
    Good on you Julie for having another fast day. I’m not very successful in doing them b2b
    We had a lovely day at the Tulip Festival yesterday. It’s a 25 acre tulip farm and open for 3/4 weeks with activities, bands, sculptures, treasure hunts, food vans etc, The grandkids were really well behaved with the baby sleeping well in her pram too.
    Today is a FD for me and I’ve not eaten anything yet – nearly 4pm but ready to have my 2nd coffee – with milk šŸ™‚
    Have a great day all ! Xx

Haha thinatlast here I am….still breathing !!

Another successful ‘cleaning out’ day with 7 garbage bags full of stuff in the back of the car to go to the op shop. Some more finds from my 20’s – 2 more mini skirts and a little black dress…and yes they fit perfectly – yay. That should be the last of my ‘finds’ now.

A bit of housework today turned into a lounge room furniture re-arrange. I’ve decided to sell the cross trainer as I dont really like it, much prefer the treadmill. So I’ve moved it onto the front verandah and posted for sale on the local buy swap sell FB page. So much more room now and looks like a lounge room rather than a gym – another yay.

Weight has been steady. Tonights pub meal has been cancelled so will now have to think of something for tea…..mmmm decisions decisions.

OH and I are travelling well and see each other most days. MissD was a little apprehensive at first which was understandable as she’s had me to herself for the last 6 years. But now she’s enjoying his company too and takes taking great delight in telling everyone that mums got a boyfriend.

Must go….things to do.

Hi SHs

The last couple of days didn’t quite go as planned. I awoke yesterday at about 4am with a really swollen abdomen, a lot of pain and nausea. I ended up having to cancel all appointments and plans for the last 2 days, including my cafe lunch plans (we’ve shifted it to next Monday). I’m starting to feel better, but my digestion is still fragile. I couldn’t even cope with cups of tea yesterday – what a disaster. I know I’m getting better as I’m just having my second cup today and my stomach is coping with it.

Yesterday I wasn’t hungry but had an insatiable thirst. Unfortunately all that water on an empty stomach made the nausea worse and caused acid reflux. My solution was to make a pot of porridge. I had a little and then my stomach could cope with more water. It actually worked very well. Today I also started out with porridge that was left over from yesterday, but I’ve just tempted fate and made some rye toast. So far that my stomach seems to be tolerating it.

I don’t know whether this was caused by something in the food I ate on Tuesday or a virus. To be on the safe side I just threw away all the food I’d cooked on Tuesday night. I’d marinated and roasted a tray of chicken drumsticks and I’d also made a huge bowl of shredded veg into a coleslaw (undressed so it would keep well). I find it difficult to throw food away but I couldn’t chance it – and it’s likely to be a couple more days before I’m up to facing that sort of food again anyway and it wouldn’t keep that long. If I feel better tomorrow I might live dangerously and try adding scrambled eggs to my porridge and toast diet.

It goes without saying I’m not following 5:2 at the moment. I’ll get back to it on the weekend hopefully.

Thin, my doctor who I have had now for 30 years (ever since I moved to Cairns) was the same doctor who finally found the cancer in my mother. When I reached 40 he sent me for a colonoscopy. I have never had one since. It seems the poo tests we do are sufficient to be the first testing we need and if anything is found it is then that he will order the colonoscopy. I get tested every year with him this way then also do the government ones when they arrive. So I am quite happy not to have a colonoscopy every 5 years as it was stated 22 years ago I should do due to the family history. It seems that blood tests and our poo tests are refined much more these days and they can pick up more this way than what they could do years ago.

Stay, I usually do B2BFDs and it is usually on a Monday and Tuesday, but I just could not get my act together this week and gave myself a good talking to on Wednesday morning about how I could do this and not to give up on my goals.
    I love tulips! The first time I ever saw tulips was on mass on the US side of Niagra. We had arrived around midnight from Buffalo airport and spent that first night in the hotel just opposite. My relative lives just north of Niagra on the Canadian side and drove down the next morning and picked us up. Before he arrived we could hear such a loud noise around 5.30am and my father decided to get up and investigate. He came back saying how we all needed to see what was outside, so we all got ready and wondered down to find that the noise was actually Niagra Falls and that the whole area in the park was a mass display of tulips of all colours. I fell in love!!! How I wished I could visit the tulip display you went to when I read your post. They just dont grow up here in Cairns!!

Gday, sounds as if you are having a great clean out. I bet it feels so good. I have done some housework today as well and a big tidy up as we have our Taiko group coming over tomorrow night for a “Friday the 13th Taiko Party” Not quite what you might think it is as we will not be making any noise with the drums. This is going to be a drum making party and we are hoping to start the process of making at least 3 more drums from old wine barrels. It is quite a long process that we have done before (and learnt from it) but it is a great social outing for us all as well.
    I had to laugh at MissD telling everyone you had a boyfriend. It must make you feel like a teenager again and I hope you are enjoying it.

LJoyce, what a terrible couple of days you have had. Hope you are feeling much better now.

News has just shown photos of the fires in California. So many stories of people surviving with just minutes to spare. It seems not to be letting up at all. I remember years ago that some Aussie firefighters went over to help when there was devastating fires then they returned the favour when we had bad fires in Australia and some American firefighters came to help here. I have not heard that any of our guys have gone over this time.

Well so far my second FD has been successful and I have just finished my carrot sticks. I will heat up the soup soon so I can have that.

Happy Fast Day to those also doing it with me.

Hello,
    End of a good fast day.

LJoyce, so sorry to hear what a rotten time you are having. I was thinking you had been quiet. I do so hope you are starting to feel better. Porridge and toast should help! Nice to know that when you have recovered, 5:2 will be waiting happily for you to pick it up again.

Lindsay, what interesting work! And another wonderful kitchen. And nice to hear you are that nice little bit lower weight.
    I am looking forward to breakfast tomorrow, it is just as you say: particularly delicious after a fast day.

Gday, 7 garbage bags! Wow, what a treat to bid them goodbye! And more mini skirt treats! I bet you can’t wipe the smile off your face! Good luck selling your cross trainer too!

Hi Thin, I hope you have had a lovely post fast day!

And JJulie, a nice finish to your B2b. Your Niagara tulips sound stunning!

Penguin, have you had a nice eating day?

Joffy, how is your minestrone?

Cali, this is for you: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/oct/12/australian-desert-reaches-peak-budgie-as-thousands-dazzle-wildlife-photographer?CMP=share_btn_tw

Stay, are you in The Dandenongs? I think of Tesselaars tulips. I briefly worked on a flower farm nearby, during the decade I lived in The Dandenongs.

Well, I was taking it slowly today when I got an email reminder for a workshop in town tomorrow. I thought my application to go hadn’t been successful, so I hadn’t planned it. I have to be there at 9:30 eep. But I will go, it is about legal structures for social enterprises, so it is relevant for my community food project.

I’ll see you all when I have recovered from it!

Hello to everyone I didn’t mention šŸ™‚

Hi everyone
    Been a few days since reading all your very interesting posts. Just wondering what most of you have found helpful to eat on FD’s to stick to the calorie count! Do most of you have evening meal,then do FD all day, then eat normally the morning after – or is there a better way. I know it’s individual choice, but any hints would be helpful.
    Just bought a food processor, & also a combined slow/pressure cooker – hoping to have a cook day & have food in freezer for convenience! Have to check net for good recipes.
    Friday 13th tomorrow – must buy lottery ticket!
    Hope you all have a great weekend & enjoy whatever you choose to do. Cheers

Good norning all,

Well I did good on my B2B FDs this week and I am back down to under 80k. Weight this morning was 79.4 which would have to be the lowest weight in 2 years for me. But the weekend is coming and that is my downfall, so with OH flying out to Brissie tomorrow morning I should not be tempted with his wine. We have the Taiko group coming over to our house tonight for a workshop to make two new drums and I am going to do a sausage sizzle for them. I dont want to be tempted in eating to much of the wrong things so any advice on what to have on hand for me would be appreciated. I am also going to fast all day today as well so most of my calories will be eaten then. It that a good idea?

Arelkade, when doing a FD (fast day) I usually stick to fluids. Green tea is what I like as I dont like black tea and I have stopped having coffee (you can still have coffee if you like it but there is a limit on how much caffeine you should have in one day) So I usually have green tea for breakfast. (nil calories here) I will make a soup either in the morning or the night before. I have been sticking to vegetarian soups therefore using vegetable stocks instead of the chicken stock often used. I went total vegetarian a few weeks ago and found I lost heaps of kgs really quickly. Then I introduced some meat and fish. I still find I loose much quicker if I dont have the meat though. The homemade tomato soup that I have been having for lunch is only 65 calories a serve. For a snack I have had carrot and/or celery sticks. (you can make your own low calorie hommus and have some with the carrot and celery if you like) For dinner I made a chilli butternut pumpkin with beans soup and pureed to a smooth consistancy and I have found this very filling. I have stuck to these foods for the last two days and have lost 3kg again.
    Did you find the recipe page? Here is the link to it…https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/southern-hemispherites-fd-recipes/
    There are some really good recipes here.
    To answer the question you have about the evening meal before a FD. I have been trying to keep to lower calories on my NFDs (non fast days) and I still calorie count as that it what I like to do. So I will try to keep under 1000 calories for that day and choose foods that will keep the hunger pangs away but not put on the weight. We had a lot of discussion about the low calorie noodles (Konjac noodles) as they have only about 23 calories per packet and can be used like pasta. The other day I made a sauce from 1 can of crushed tomatoes, diced jalopeno chilli from a jar, oregano and parsley and diced zucchini. then put in a rinsed and drained packet of the low calorie noodles to make a spaghetti type dish. Very low in calories (only 168 calories for the whole dish) and I could eat as much as I liked and surprisingly it was filling and tasty.
    The morning after I have my usual green tea for breakfast.
    There are a lot of foods you can eat on a NFD that will fill you up without the calories. I sometime for dinner have an omelette with mushrooms, or if you want to keep the calories down with the egg you can buy egg whites only in a container in the refridgerated section of the supermarket and have an egg white only omelette. Choose fillings that are not high in calories like spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes etc.

I shall leave it to the others to help with their advice as this is my routine and it may not suit you where someone else may be doing something more to your liking.

Good morning everyone. Another lovely day today.
    Thank you JustJulie for all that info and very helpful advice. Congratulations on being under 80kg – I feel good for you. It would feel good to be in the next lot of 10kgs. Enjoy.
    I’m visiting my brother with another brother & sister about 300klms from home. We haven’t been all together for so long & it is wonderful to catch up – big problem is nibbles ie cheese, dips, cabanossi, wine, etc that I don’t usually have at home. The body doesn’t feel good today so will try to be good – home tomorrow arvo.
    All enjoy doing whatever is special for you today. Cheers

Stay, there’s a man in our street who lives on a corner block and has the most amazing tulip display every year. So colourful and all in beautifully constructed beds.

Hope you’re feeling better LJ.

GDSA, I was about your daughter’s age when my mother left. A heart string went out to her when I read that she’d felt apprehensive about your new love. It’s natural that she’d feel he’s taking a piece of you away from her. Unusually for 60s Britain, my Dad had custody of us and I felt very resentful of his girlfriends, especially those who had children that were welcomed into our home as his own. It sounds like your daughter has already come to accept the changes and appreciates that a happier you will make for an even better mum than you already were. And now the whole school knows you have a boyfriend! What started as a rotten year for you has turned into the best – very happy for you.

JJulie, calm down, you’re making the rest of us look bad! Don’t forget to eat today.

Arelkade, when I started 5:2 in 2014, my OH agreed to do it with me for support. It was very kind of him since he has never gained an ounce in our 26 years of marriage. He’s one that panics at meal times and eats by the clock. So, I had to do some intensive planning to make him feel that he was getting three ‘meals’ a day on FDs. I planned a month’s worth of FD meals ahead of time and put them on an Excel spreadsheet so I could mix and match while having the calories calculated automatically (500 for me, 600 for him). It was a challenge and a lot of work initially because I have a fear and dislike of calorie counting but it taught me a lot about calorie content and portion sizes.

After 11 months, he’d had enough even of 6:1 and I’d by then lost 20kgs so was confident in continuing the WOL without him. I changed my first intake to 2pm, a cauliflower soup comprising 103 cals and an evening meal at 5pm of between 2-300 cals. You can find some of my recipes on the link that JJulie posted above. As everyone knows, I have cauliflower soup every FD, what a bore I am!

As I don’t like to waste precious calories on liquids, but am addicted to a morning coffee or two, I use almond and coconut milk in my morning coffee. It’s only 17 cals for 80mls so yields two good coffees in the morning which helps me ‘normalise’ my fast days. It doesn’t froth but it’s better than nothing as I can’t deal with black coffee. Other than that, I use one herbal tea bag, 5cals, (all different kinds for special FD taste treats) in three cups of tea during the day.

I don’t believe in ‘snacking’ to alleviate hunger. I try to embrace hunger as a reminder of the good I am doing for my body. I rarely notice being hungry on FDs unless I have had a blow out the evening before (too much sugar or starch). Hunger can be distracted by activity such as gardening, going for a walk, having a chat with a neighbour. Or getting on this thread.

I retain 100 cals for around 8pm because there’s nothing worse than lying awake hungry. Because I now weigh 60kgs, my TDEE is lower (the cruel irony of weight loss!) and therefore my FD allowance is closer to 400 cals. But, because I’m in maintenance, I can eat that banana or boiled egg if needed and still be under 500cals. So all my food intake remains within a 6 hour window. Except that A&C milk.

The key to my successful fasting (and I’m proud to say that I have never blown one in over three years) is planning ahead. I always know what to expect on a FD and don’t allow anything to disrupt it. I have a vast repertoire of FD meal options, yet I tend to stick to a few basic recipes. This is because I am responsible for meal prep for OFMs and I like to keep it simple.

As to your question, I eat my evening meal before the FD around 5pm and don’t snack after that. FD as outlined above and then the following morning, I rarely feel hungry so I enjoy my two frothy milk coffees, go for a walk and have breakfast around 11am.

Everyone is different which is why I outlined my OH’s way of fasting above. I prefer to keep my calories in the bank rather than watch them fritter away on an app. as the day passes. You’ll find your own way of doing things. Get the fast days sorted out and the rest comes naturally with little effort. Good luck!

Thin, you are the wisest person I know and have helped me so much with 5:2. I thank you very much. Yes I will be eating today. I ended up having only green tea all day so I can enjoy the BBQ sausages and salad tonight.

Too kind JJulie. You underestimate your own contribution. Where would we be without konjac? And all the other ingredients that you’ve introduced to these pages. Have a lovely time tonight. Drum sticks might have been a better option for that particular group though. šŸ˜†

I just re-read what I’d written above and forgot my usual disclaimer when bragging about my FD success: that NFDs remain a work in progress for me. Tonight, the River Guardians are sponsoring ‘meet the scientists’ for the dolphin watchers at the river and they are providing pizza. Massive challenge for me. I can’t remember the last time I ate pizza. I shall confess all tomorrow!

Hi again
    Thank you thinatlast
    All sounds very helpful. Its interesting hearing how others manage their FD choices & makes it easier when all options are discussed. I really enjoy reading everyone’s posts.
    It’s 9.40pm Friday evening – time for sleep, home tomorrow.
    Cheers

It looks as though it is our turn to be on the receiving end of nature. The hurricanes that do so much damage to the Caribbean and the USA frequently come our way afterwards but they usually lose their strength and are reduced to gales before they get here. About once every 30 years one retains it’s strength, causes loss of life and does major damage. Hurricane Ophelia has the potential to be one of those. It is due to hit Spain next, then track north and hit Ireland and Scotland on Monday, we think. The winds around the edge, which will come my way, will be 80+ mph. It only has to change course slightly for us to get the full benefit of it. Oh what fun we shall have.

We went out for a meal last night with a dozen friends. To avoid the high carb alternatives I opted for a mixed grill. A serious mistake. There seemed to be one of every conceivable kind of protein on it, and a tiny token amount of salad. I gave much of it to my neighbour and still felt bloated this morning. A few years ago I would have eaten it all. 5:2 seems to have reduced my internal capacity.

Cinque. I don’t particularly enjoy my first meal after a 2.5 day total fast. By then I am accustomed to not eating and have to persuade myself that I should do it. Having started again, the usual control problems kick in.

Good morning everyone,
    Penguin,
    That hurricane is scary. Fingers crossed it manages to get rid of a lot of energy before hitting land.
    So interesting that you get accustomed to not eating during your fast and are not eager to break it. I’d like to get the chance to do a fast your way, but my life doesn’t suit it at the moment.

Arelkade, I began 5:2 by deciding to have a small bowl of porridge in the morning of a fast day, and a bowl of soup in the evening.
    My plan was to drink 0 calorie drinks through the day, but that was just too hard. So I decided I would let myself drink my cuppas with milk through the day and only eat my evening soup. That has worked so well that I pretty well do it every fast day, and have done for more than two years.
    I enjoy the ritual and I make miso soup so I just need my jar of miso paste, my bag of frozen chicken tenderloins, some dried shiitake mushrooms and a vegetable or two.

I’m glad you are having such a lovely time with your siblings, but my sympathy with all those dips and things around.

Thin and JJulie, aren’t you two so lovely!

LJoyce, are you still crook? Sending best wishes.

Cali, I see the fires are still an emergency, a terrible time.

Hello to everyone else.
    I managed to get to the Social Enterprise’ workshop yesterday and it was worth it. So interesting to be in a room full of people doing interesting things. But I need to take today quietly. And fast day tomorrow!

Cheers all

Arelkade, Iā€™ve been doing 5:2 since early May and my FD are usually no food until noon or an hour or two later if I can wait. Only a couple cups of coffee with tablespoon of non-dairy creamer. Then I eat roughly 200 – 250 calories, usually some type of soup because itā€™s filling. Sometimes Iā€™ll have a pound of broccoli or cauliflower, either microwaved or steamed. I like both, it comes to about 150 calories, and itā€™s very filling. At night I might have a fish fillet, a can of salmon, or piece of chicken either baked or cooked in the Instant Pot. If I have enough calories left, Iā€™ll have an apple or banana. I try to the biggest volume of food I can get for the least calories.

FD are usually easy for me. The hard part has become the NFD. I donā€™t like to count calories and tend to go overboard lately. Sugar and carbs are not my friends! Iā€™ve been kind of stressed lately too which doesnā€™t help. Usually itā€™s work related but this last week the fires have caused lots of stress. Weā€™re not affected here other than some smoke but have relatives who are being affected. The last I heard it was only around 10% contained. High winds are expected up there again tonight. Hope that forecast changes. Has anyone experienced hair loss? Something is affecting me, likely age, and itā€™s becoming concerning. I had blood work done this week and waiting for results. But I had my annual tests done about 6 months ago and all was fine then. I donā€™t think itā€™s the 5:2 since my weight loss was averaging out to around a pound per week. Anyway, that has me stressed too.

Penguin, thatā€™s the first Iā€™ve heard about the hurricane over there. I think the last time I remember Europe having hurricane force winds was when all those trees were blown down in France and in Paris. Are you close to the water? Iā€™ll watch the reports. With all the fire news and possible hurricanes in the Caribbean, (not to mention he who Twitters) the news from overseas is being kind of drowned out. Prayers for all.

Good morning all,
    What a lovely Saturday morning it is in my little area of Cairns. To give you a little idea, we have a two story house, designed with an old Queenslander style in mind, but a bit more modern. We live in a suburb of Cairns called Brinsmead, it used to be called Brinsmead Valley as we are actually part of a valley. We are surrounded by mountains so from my front balcony I have a wonderful green outlook of the mountains in front of us. We have a mountain behind us, but as we used our back balcony especially in the mornings for relaxing and having that morning cuppa, we have it partially enclosed with lattice. The lattice still allows for the airflow but gives us a bit more privacy from the house behind us. Therefore OH and I can sit outside with our laptops and have our morning cuppa, answer work emails, plan the working day and also relax on weekends all to the music of the birds in the area who are busily chirping away. Often we are entertained by the kookaburras who sit in the trees behind the house or enjoy the little Olive-backed Sunbirds who flitter in and out our balcony looking for somewhere to build a nest or the odd bug or two that might be hanging around (the tropics is full of bugs.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive-backed_sunbird
    We have gekkos living on the balcony (dont like them inside as they can be too messy) and when it rains the green tree frogs come out of hiding and we often find them out at night looking for their feed of the bugs.
    So this is my Saturday morning………
    Last night was a huge success with the start of three new drums and a sausage sizzle with a cheese and fruit platter, vietnamese coleslaw and japanese cheesecake. There ended up being miles too much food as others also pitched in without my knowledge. One of the team is vietnamese and so she brought the coleslaw (very tasty coleslaw that has cabbage with chicken) and one of the Japanese team members brought the cheesecake (which I had to have a small piece of)
    Everyone was here til about 9.30 so it wasnt a late night.

Weight this morning was still under the 80’s which is so good considering I ate two sausages, cheesecake, coleslaw, cheese and fruit and of course some wine. So today I am going to fast all day until this evening’s meal. OH is off to Brissy until Monday night for work so I only have to concentrate on my own meals for the next couple of days.

Thin, how was the pizza?
    And yes drumsticks would have been a great idea. I will do that next time we get together to work on these drums!

Arelkade, One thing I have found is very useful for making fast day soups is a stick mixer. Mine is now permanently next to my cooktop for blending my soups. It is easy to clean as well.

Penguin, stay safe…..do you have a routine where you prepare for the hurricanes?
    Cairns is a tropical area so we get cyclones. We have what we call a cyclone preparation plan where we prepare our house in readiness for the high winds and rain that a cyclone brings. We fill containers with drinking water (years ago after a cyclone we had no water for 4 days) we also fill anything we can find with water so we can use it to flush the toilet. We make sure the gas bottle on the BBQ is full in case we have no power and the BBQ becomes our only source for cooking (one other time we were without power for 3 days) We now have a generator where we can use it to keep the freezer and the fridge going therefore decreasing the food loss. We tape up the windows to stop them from shattering during the high winds which can be quite dangerous as you can imagine. All animals are brought inside for safety. Candles and torches are put out for easy access. Spare batteries are bought for both the torches and the radio. (radio may be our only source of information even before the cyclone fully hits us)….and the list goes on!
    So stay safe Penguin, I know how hurricanes (cyclones)can be devastating.

Cinque, I love porridge but just dont seem to be able to make it like my grandmother did so I have given up. Mine tastes horrible!!!!

So I hope everyone else has a great day today.

Oh CalifD, you must have been typing at the same time as me! I did take along time to type it though!!

Glad to hear you are ok

What a lovely environment JJulie. When I lived in the deep south of the USA, we experienced tornadoes. Most people had basements. Ours had one small window and I recall seeing lawn chairs fly past during one episode.

It was 31C yesterday. The sky turned eerily dark when we arrived for our dolphin watchers gathering and there were lightning strikes close by. One lady was understandably concerned as she explained that her aunt had been struck by lightning twice. A strong wind came through and all the hors d’oeuvres had to be held down. Then it started to rain quite hard and everyone bolted for their cars. Normally we wouldn’t have driven but OH can’t walk too far yet. Anyway, it was quite a show from nature and the good news is that there was no pizza!

CalifD, I don’t have any experience with alopecia. I listened to Australia’s leading medical authority talking about it recently. It was widely held to have been caused by stress but he has debunked this theory. I knew someone suffering from the condition and it caused her great anxiety. It must be awful to work in a stressful job. Can you consider getting rid of it?

Cinque, good that it was worth making the effort to get to your conference. See you for miso fasting tomorrow!

Julie, I looked up Brinsmead on Google Earth and can ā€œ wanderā€ around the streets. It looks very beautiful there and tropical with all the palm trees. I canā€™t even imagine all those different birds and animals. Such an exotic place to live! We had palm trees where we used to live, in the Bay Area but it gets too cold in the winter for most palms up here. Our neighbors have a Fan Palm, https://www.flickr.com/photos/akfoto/4773500268/ but thatā€™s the only one close by. I love Palm Trees.

Thin, you have dolphins in the river nearby? Now Iā€™m really jealous! šŸ˜„ I think you live in Wild Kingdom with so many cool animals.
    Pizza isnā€™t so bad if you donā€™t eat too much. Thatā€™s one food that Iā€™m quite content to stop at two slices, maybe because of the richness of it.

We are having neighbors over for dinner tomorrow night and Iā€™m still trying to figure out what to make. I have to think of something I can mostly make ahead so Iā€™m not fussing with food preparation when theyā€™re here. I have a hard time deciding what to prepare.

Cinque, I will have to try some frozen chicken tenderloins in miso. I donā€™t usually add more than mushrooms and a small amount of tofu, but the chicken would be good.

I add 100 gms chicken breast thinly sliced, 8 shiitake mushrooms and a quarter of a Chinese cabbage. That’s for two miso soup servings.

Two slices of pizza would see me up a kg the next day. The bread base is the killer for me.

CalifD, we have 22 adult dolphins permanently residing in the river park comprising the Swan and Canning Rivers. Babies have a high mortality rate (50%) so they’re not included in the resident population count. Dolphin Watchers is a citizen science programme to record their movements and behaviour. They’re identified by their fins, like a fingerprint. All the fin shapes are different but the easiest way to identify them is when the fins are damaged – from tangles with fishing line, boating collisions, shark attacks when they venture into the ocean, etc. We are issued a Fin Book every year with colour photos of each adult and their offspring. Sometimes I’ll see them everyday for weeks and then have no sightings for weeks. They swim at approximately my walking pace so I’m sometimes lucky enough to follow them along the river bank for up to an hour.
    https://www.riverguardians.com/projects/dolphin-watch/identifying-dolphins

Hi again,

Another successful FD yesterday. I’m hoping to keep Fridays as a FD. We’ll see if I can continue to pull that off. I had been planning on resuming Tuesday FDs as well, though doesn’t look like that is going to happen now since I’ve been invited to work in an office setting on Tuesdsays which will entail a huge learning curve and possibly deadlines and extra stress than the work I currently do out in the field. In light of that, I think it best to work out another day for time being.

Hey, I’m one who started out moving around FDs for the first 8 months of practicing 5:2 since it was either doing it that way or not at all given changing schedule. I remember not minding at all. Then Australian ‘Christmas’ break came along last year and I was able to regulate my FDs to Tuesdays and Saturdays which I realized was easier.

Now I’m back to having to move FDs around and it is more difficult, after gaining experience of the ease of rhythm of regular days. Well, as said just before, better to move FDs around, than not practice them at all.

I have just been doing some work in my vegie garden and picked a heap of tomatoes. Took some to the next door neighbour. I also pick a heap of snake beans and am now trying to decide on how to use them for dinner tonight.

CalifD, Something that can be prepared ahead of time………
    Soup
    Chicken Casserole (any casserole or stew really)
    Chilli Con Carne
    Quiche
    Meatloaf

If you have a slow cooker there are endless things that take very little effort.
    Slow Cooker recipes…….
    Slow-cooked Corned Beef
    Slow-cookedChicken, Leek and Mushroom casserole
    Slow-cooked boeuf bourguignon
    Slow-cooker marsala-braised pork with chilli and prunes
    Slow-cooker Middle Eastern lamb with quick hummus
    Slow-cooker spicy pineapple roast pork with lemongrass and lime rice

Also there are heaps of things you can do with miso as a base.
    Japanese Nabe is a Japanese style stew that is often cooked at the table. (I only do it that way when entertaining)
    The last time I had Nabe I did vegetarian only and found it really filling.
    I think I have posted the recipe in the other forum for recipes.
    You can add chunks of boneless chicken thigh, skinless breast or tenderlions to it if you want.

I just had a look at google earth and found my house. The day this was done the garbage truck was just out the front!!! My husband’s old blue ute is in the driveway (that car has been gone for a year) It is incredible to see. [post edited to remove personal details]

Hi Everyone
    Thin, how special to walk alongside dolphins swimming.
    Julie, it sounds so nice where you live. I love sitting outside with a coffee.
    Penguin, i pray the hurricane doesnā€™t effect you at all. Which country do you live in again?
    Cinque, enjoy your quiet day today.

Yesterday I was pretty well on track. I had 2 of the granddaughters over and my mum came for a few hours but the downfall was when hubby said hhis brother was coming over after work and heā€™d open a bottle of wine. My daughter made a nice dinner-Bun cha- and my Bilaw stayed and then another bottle was opened and hubby made up a cheese platter. Later the lemoncello and molinari came out too. :0
    Today we have friends coming for dinner. Hubby is cooking a slow cooked vietnamese curry and I will put out water glasses and have sparkling water in the fridge- Im much better with planned rather than spontaneous, and Ill alternate with a couple of wines. BUT the lady wants to bring a decadent dessert- noooo!!!!- I canā€™t say no šŸ™
    So i wonā€™t eat anything today until dinner and tomorrow Iā€™ll join Cinque in a fast day

Have a Great Day everyone! x

Hi SHs,
    I’m just catching up of the posts for the last few days, still have more reading to do.

I’m getting better, but still feel rather wobbly. I’m still pretty limited in what I can eat without causing an adverse reaction. I’m OK with grains and some dairy, and I’ve just reintroduced egg and bananas without too dramatic a reaction. Although I didn’t feel like it, I dragged myself out of the house this morning to get some sprouted rye bread, ricotta, bananas, yoghurt and kefir. That should tide me over until I’m better. I’ve been listening to my body and just eating the foods that feel palatable and that has mostly worked. I’ve taken some butternut soup out of the freezer and I’m going to try that tonight.

Cali – I’m praying for rain and a cool change for California.

I’ll post again later once I’ve caught up with all the posts I’ve missed.

LJoyce, I hope whatever you have passes soon. Are you having a delayed bad reaction from your treatment, or do you think you just caught a bug? The food youā€™re getting sounds good, especially the kefir. Maybe some good bacteria will help what ails you. Your Spring is coming and the weather is getting nice, so itā€™s no time to be feeling bad. We have similar temperatures here, but could certainly use some rain. I think thin should share. But keep the lightning, please! Lightening is often a cause of fires in wooded areas. We havenā€™t really had rain here yet. Typically this time of year we get some. Napa Valley and the Santa Rosa area could sure use some now.

Julie, what a pretty house, at least what I can see of it through the trees and landscaping! It seems funny to be able to ā€œwalkā€ down your street and see the things you see everyday. Such a pretty area with all the palms and other trees. It seems like your house would be kind of protected in a cyclone by the nearby mountains and big trees. But I guess the valley could also form some kind of wind tunnel. I keep looking in the trees for cockatoos or other brightly colored parrots. Or a koala bear. Or a kangaroo hopping down the street at least! šŸ˜

Julie, thank you for the dinner ideas for tomorrow. The spicy pork with pineapple, lemongrass and lime sounds really good. So does the Marsala braised pork with chili and prunes. I may try one of those.

Minks and Stay, things come up where I change FDā€™s every so often. I think 5:2 works just fine with that. I just like having a couple days between FDs, but Iā€™ve done 2 in a row a few times when I was traveling or had lunch plans on a couple of my normal FDs. I try to avoid B2B only because itā€™s easier for me when I know I can eat the next day, itā€™s a psychological thing, not a weight loss thing.

Thin, itā€™s so cool the way they catalogue the resident dolphins. Itā€™s too bad so many of them have marks and injuries on their fins. I understand the reasons they wouldnā€™t want people to feed them, but I would have to tie my hands behind me to avoid feeding a baby dolphin. And youā€™re not supposed to feed the birds either? I would have to find a way to hide the pockets full of peanuts and sunflower seeds!

Thin, I love the fact that you can walk with the dolphins. That would be such a great walk.
    Thanks for the miso soup recipe, sounds delicious and easy too. I have some shitake mushrooms in the fridge, tofu as well so I have decided to make a miso soup and use my snake beans as well.

Minka I am glad you had a geat FD yesterday. Dont worry too much about FDs as I
    move them around too like I did this week.

CalifD, Yes I liked the sound of the spicy pineapple pork dish too and the rice sounds refreshing. I might make that one too sometime soon. Did you find the recipe? It serves 8 so I would half it.
    Thanks for your comments about the house. We have palm trees in the front and I do like the look of them but they do make a lot of mess when they drop their fronds which are sometimes too big to put into the garbage bins. We get the sulphur crested cocatoos in the front palm trees as they go to eat the palm nuts. The brightly coloured Rosellas are often in the trees around us that have flowers with nectar. My friends house has heaps of those types of trees. Grevilleas, Bottlebrush, Lillypilly, Callistemon are some of the trees. The Powder Puff tree flowers attract the coloured parrots and after it has rained the mixture of the rain and the flower nectar starts to ferment when the sun comes out again. The birds have a wonderful time drinking all this nectar and the funny thing that happens is that they all get quite drunk off of all this fermented nectar and end up falling out of the trees. We usually have to make sure that they are not attacked by the dogs and let them sleep it off. Then next day they are gone. Probably with a huge sore head!!!

The kangaroos (we have wallabys here) are not far from our house. There are a lot of parks and rainforest areas near so this is where they live. We often see them just sleeping in the parks on the grass, feeding and relaxing. Yes you can see them hopping down the street sometimes. They are wild still so you can never get close to these ones unlike the wallabys at the local “zoo” where you can hand feed them.
    Koalas tend to be in the eucalyptus trees as this is the only leaf they eat. We dont have any of those trees near our house so I have never seen any koalas in the wild around here, but they are in the areas just north of us.

Viewing 50 posts - 13,151 through 13,200 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.