Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,908 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  LJoyce 23 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 11,301 through 11,350 (of 28,012 total)

• Lady Salsa, excellent news! I’d love to meet you. You’ve said you’re SOR so we’re all in the ballpark. PG, I feel that since I asked you for the favour, I should be travelling to your area. I don’t want to broadcast your location though so feel free to make a cafe suggestion. Or, if you’re happy with ‘the meeting place’ we seem to have adopted for Perth losers, we can stick to that. FYI, Lady Salsa, that’s Sprolo, 138 Canning Highway, South Perth. Any good for you?

Oh the FDs, yes of course we want to avoid those so we can thoroughly enjoy our coffee! My other FD is Weds. So, are either of you fasting on Monday or Friday?

Can anyone recommend good scales that do body fat percentage as well? I’ve been looking online but most of the comparisons are from the USA and often the ones they recommend aren’t available here.

Craftgirl,
    we have been using Tanita Inner Scan scales, that include BF etc, for about 4 years. When I check weight on scales at friend’s place they are almost identical. Of course BF may not be very accurate, but by using the same scales each week we hope they are “relatively” precise. Originally purchased from M..rs.

Thin,
    Friday would work best for me, Monday is my one fast day ATM and by Friday my packing will be done. Sprolo is good, easy for me to get to. For the past three weeks we have cycled along South Perth foreshore several times a week on our 40km training rides – not seen your dolphins though.

PerthGirl, hey, I saw you cycling one day! Said to OH, that looked like you but I couldn’t be sure without your trademark hat! And you’ve just reminded me that I forgot to record my dolphin sightings from yesterday on the River Guardians’ website. Two mother/baby pairs!

Friday is great for me. Sprolo it is then. How about you Lady Salsa?

Thin,

See you at 10 then on Friday with (hopefully) Missy’s offspring – she seems to be waking up OK.

Hi thinatlast, Sprolo is fine for me 🙂 , I can find my way there quite easily – who is going to wear a rose so I know who I am looking for ??!! Does anyone need me to bring some Kefir grains ? Look forward to meeting you ladies :O)

Excellent! No extra grains needed at this point but thank you for the offer Lady Salsa. Somehow, we just seem to know who we’re looking for. Look for a slim, fit lady carrying a jar of kefir grains. If there are any other Perth losers lurking, you know you’re welcome to join us. What about you Chatelaine? Elasticity?

Craftgirl – I use Fitbit Aria Scales. Expensive though – the cheapest I found online was $145. They wifi to my Fitbit App. My Fitbit Tracker Watch bluetooths to my Fitbit App also so the scale cost for me was worth it as these 3 items combined have been my saviour for keeping me on track, motivated and I love the data I they provide.

Oh how wonderful for those of you in Perth to be able to meet up for coffee. Makes me want to move States! Im very jealous indeed – ‘happy for you’ kind of jealous that is. What a lovely time you will have catching up face to face. 😃😄😆

I just have to post this as I’m so excited. BMI is now exactly 25 – yay yay yay !!

Was 27 when I started FD a few months back when my weight was 74kg. Today I’m 68kg exactly.

Wow was a great wy to start the weekend.

Hi,

Lady_Salsa I will be wearing my aqua-coloured Macpac baseball hat (goes everywhere with me except on bike) – and carrying a jar of kefir grains! See you then.

GDay, congratulations, I will do a happy dance for you – when I get out of bed😊 We will grant you honorary Perth status and you can be with us virtually at 12.30pm, what shall we order for you?

Good morning all, hope you’re having a nice weekend.

I have the difficult combination of a FD and also having to bake cup cakes today (50 strawberry and 50 banana). I have my veg & lentil soup ready so that I can have some before the baking starts emerging from the oven. I did consider just getting up early tomorrow to do it, but I was worried about a failed batch and not having time to bake more as they have to be cooled and decorated in time for a 4y.o.’s birthday party tomorrow. I suspect the decoration will take some time as it’s not something I do often – especially child focused decoration.

I’m also sporting a few bruises this morning. I had 2 tonne of firewood delivered yesterday, and because it was blocking the driveway I had to move it quickly. I did it all yesterday – 2 1/2 hours of bending lifting and carrying heavy logs. I expected sore muscles today, but oddly they don’t feel too bad. Unfortunately I started to get clumsy as I got fatigued and started dropping logs – on my arm and on my foot (twice) – hence the bruises. My finger joints are also stiff and sore today, but I think after yesterday’s excess of activity I got off lightly. I actually expected to have difficulty moving at all today so this is a real bonus.

GDSA – congrats on the BMI of 25, I think getting to those milestones can really help with motivation. I don’t have intentions to go that low myself but I remember how momentous it felt to get to 30 and finally lose the “obese” tag.

Good morning everyone, it’s Sunday Fast Day.

I hope you survived the dreaded cup cake fast day LJ!
    Especially trying to cook with bruised arm and feet!

Gday woot woot! Hooray to health! Congratulations on a BMI of 25!
    Sorry I didn’t manage to respond when I first saw your post. My granddaughter kept me busy, and once I had got her home I just snuggled on the couch and didn’t move for the rest of the day!

LadySalsa, woot woot for your loss too! And how nice to be looking forward to yoga, it is my favourite exercise (now I can’t bushwalk).

So exciting to read of this Perth get together! I think t will be a particularly fun one!

Well I made the mung bean stew on Friday night. I was tired from shopping and had already taken my little 2 year old granddaughter to the playground and was chopping etc while getting her meal, bathing her, and getting her ready for bed. So this involved a bit of turning the pot off for a while, and then on again. Hard work for someone with CFS.

When I finally got to eat a bowlful I was a bit disappointed as it had turned to a very thick stew (and huge! my biggest saucepan was full to the top!). A lot of the beans had burst, and the potato had cooked very soft. That was a result of me turning it on and off and having to do everything in stages.

The spices and and flavours were good, but it had got a bit stodgy. It was a good ‘meal in a bowl’ meal but I wasn’t exactly looking forward to having another ten such meals!

I thought I would make it again, but with half the potato (I did use two big potatoes) and one cup of mung beans in stead of two, so the ratio of the other veggies (capsicum, spinach, tomato) was bigger. I also thought I would get the mung beans just starting to sprout so they would cook quicker, and I would cook it so they stayed whole.

On the tram ride, after dropping the little one home, I decided to try making some of it into a soup and see how I went. Well, it was DELICIOUS! It was like the most wonderful, lightly spiced, vegetarian version of pea soup. I just added water (and correspondingly more salt) I had forgotten to add the lime juice the night before, and it gave it a wonderful lift. Such a delicious, comforting soup!

I am so looking forward to the rest of it! (Frozen half of it though!) And to making it again as per my ideas above. So I do recommend it, but I want to play with it a bit. I’m even going to have a small bowl of it for my fast day soup today. Looking forward to it!

Hello Cinque, my mung beans are still in the packet as I made some other winter FD dishes yesterday for portion freezing (Hearty Root and Barley soup & Mexican Chicken soup) so now I’m well-stocked for a few weeks. I’ll wait to cook my mung beans until you’ve perfected your recipes, you have been productive – and all that cooking on the tram, ha ha!

Yes, congratulations on your respective losses GDSA and Lady Salsa. GDSA, we’ll raise our coffee cups to you. It is great fun meeting the forum posters. So far I’ve been lucky enough to meet CharliesMum, FreyaT, VDU, EnglishAussie, PerthGirl and now Lady Salsa. I’ve contacted Chatelane who went AWOL after her trip to Asia to see if she can join us.

Have a lovely day LJ, I bet the cup cakes turned out perfectly first go.

Off for a walk. A glorious 29C today. Exactly 60kg for the past 3 days and today’s a FD. Happy!

My Saturday FD went well, considering the temptation of baking – managed to taste just 1/2 tsp of each batter to make sure the flavour was OK before baking. The cup cakes turned out quite well – I’m more a baker than a decorator, so it was the frosting and decorating that had me a bit worried but they looked OK and the flavour was really good, so I’ll definitely use those cake batter recipies again (I’d never made strawberry flavoured cakes before). I made sure every single one left the house with me. I did get a bit carried away with the party food this afternoon – my cousin takes over-catering to a whole new level – there were home made sausage rolls and mini meat pies, 3 different types of meatballs, sandwiches, dips, cheese platters – and that was just the savouries. In addition to my cup cakes there was fairy bread, cake pops, chocolate crackles, honey joys, slices and a huge “Trolls” birthday cake. I didn’t try everything on the food tables but I certainly had a good go at it and am feeling the after effects now. I already feel a bit seedy – I think my body’s complaining about the task I’ve just set it.
    I’ve come home to a kitchen that looks like a tornado went through it – now I have to clean up the mess!

Hope you all had a good weekend.

Hello All,

Thin and other Perth Losers, great to read of your gathering! Wish I could be there too!

LJ, sounds like you’ve been productive moving all the firewood! What a workout you got and wonderful to hear that you aren’t sore except for the bruises. Hoping those are feeling better and that your cupcake baking went smoothly. Your plan to consume the soup just before cupcakes emerge sounds like a good one. It is the aroma of baked goods that entices me, even more than seeing them. Had you decided on a decoration theme for the batch? I’m gathering the 4 year old is a little girl?

GDSA, congratulations on the BMI improvement!

Joffy, I really like the look of men’s pleated pants and was sorry when pleats went out of fashion and the new colors sound really good together! I too would love to see a photo of you in the outfit and wish it were easy to post them here.

Cinque, your soup sounds nourishing, delicious and warming for this chillier season. Great that you were able to turn the stew into a delectable soup!

All is well here.

Hi Minka, yes the 4y.o is a girl, but there were little boys at the party as well, and because a lot of family was invited as well as her playmates and their parents, there were nearly 40 adults as well as all the kids. I decided to base the decoration on the fruit in the cakes rather than go for mainly lolly decoration. So I dipped strawberries in white chocolate and slices of banana in milk chocolate. The strawberry cakes were topped with a frosting made from cream, mascarpone and white chocolate, then I put the strawberry in the centre and couple of mini flowers made from wafer and I sprinkled over some chunky pink sugar crystals. The banana cakes had a cream cheese frosting with the banana slice in the centre and a sprinkle of mini chocolate chips. That way nobody had to ask what flavour they were – it was obvious. Actually the adults ate a lot more of the food than the kids did because they were too busy having fun in the bouncy castle and the new play house that the 4y.o.’s daddy just built for her & her little brother.

Sounds like a great day LJ and how good that you had your FD yesterday in preparation.

Minka, I wish you could be here for coffee too! Glad all’s well with you.

Just finished my Mexican Chicken Soup, 277 cals so no allowance for anything else tonight. OFMs said they liked it too, they each had an enormous roll with theirs, looked more like loaves of bread to me but as long as they’re full, all is well. Kitchen closed.

Wondering what’s happened to Intesha and Merry? Are you two weaning yourselves off forum life?

Wow sounds like everyone has been busy and productive moving wood great exercise.congrats for the weight losses must read more of the posts later FD today for me you’re an inspiring lot.

Good morning!
    Having my first cup of tea after my fast day!
    Enjoying the morning-after-fast-day feeling!

Hi FishingGran!
    I’m missing you too Merry and Intesha! I imagine you are very busy, so sending you good wishes!

Mmm Mexican Chicken Soup! How delicious Thin!
    Isn’t nice how long dried beans keep, so your mung beans can just wait til you are ready! I’ll let you know when I’ve perfected my recipe. 2025 maybe?

LJoyce what a huge party. What fab cupcakes!

Hi Minka, that is so right about the aromas of cooking. Sometimes I find it a solace that I can still smell delicious things…. but sometimes it just makes me want to eat them!
    I hope things are going well with work and study!

Today I am going to Eat Food, Not Too Much, Mainly Plants.
    mmmm Yumm! Chickpea pancakes for breakfast, Mung bean soup for lunch and Spiced Cabbage and Carrot with Chicken Adobo for dinner. That’s the plan.

Cheers to everyone for a really good day: Fasting or Non Fasting!

Cinque, I’ve just looked up Chicken Adobo thinking it might be Spanish or Portuguese and discovered the recipe is Filipino. Looks delicious and so simple. I’m also enjoying that Monday morning post-fast day feeling with a cup of hot, frothy coffee.

Hi all. My mung beans are still in the packet too. Weekend became busy but I did manage to make a huge stockpot of chicken stock to freeze in batches. I will treat myself to a risotto tonight with the freshly made stock. FD tomorrow so hopefully will counteract the consumption of white rice.

Also ran out of time to make another batch of muslie so will do that while im at the stove stirring the risotto. I have so missed my morning muslie the last few weeks.

Really enjoying reading Jason Fungs book. About 3/4 of the way through. Once finished I will read again and jot down some notes in my ‘fasting’ book as it’s full of interesting facts.

My dear dad is being moved to palliative care. I pray his time there is short.

Enjoy the coffee catch up this week Perthies – I will be tuning in via telepathy !

Hi everyone🙂 And good morning. Winter is on it’s way!

Thin and Cinque – not gone or going anywhere! I read everyday or do a catch up read 2nd daily, but life is still very full and it’s a challenge to get the time to post, so I’ve been trying to do a weekly ish short post.

I’m enjoying reading everyone’s posts and the fast-friendly food ideas. The non-fast food things I skip as I need to keep away from those things. When life is full-on and a bit stressful I’m a bit too inclined to head for sugar and starches, so I need to keep away from them in supermarkets and cafes etc and not be read about them. The last week has been really full and due to circumstances I instituted my “eat starches but do it gluten free” regime I have perviously worked out to get me through those periods. My current challenge with food has been raisins. I’ve been having a little polenta porridge with a bit of psyllium husk added, and put a few raisins in the other day. Big mistake! That 2nd apostrophe is an invisible one Thin, lol. In the last 2 days I think I’ve gone on to eat about 1/2 a cupfull.

On the home front DFIL is moving into s dementia specific locked unit soon. It’s so sad to see his deterioration. Behind the scenes it’s still pretty full-on, wrapping up the threads of his and my late DMIL’s life and the challenges memories that come with it.

Today is a FD which I really need. Last week was a stressful one and I simply ate too much and too much of the things that put weight on me, hence the gluten free strategy I need to get through those times. I’m really looking forward to tomorrow’s day-after-fast-day feeling! It’s a rest day for me too as I’m having to be mindful not to put myself into an energy deficit when there’s so much going on and so much to do.

That said, my ‘reading to get a bit of time away from it all’ has been starting Dr Moseley’s Fast Exercise book. Despite being medically unfit to exercise I still want to understand how it works and see if I can tweak my physicalness in some way. I’ve only just started but it’s very interesting. In my pre ME/CFS life I would have been on to doing Fast Exercise like a shot.

Onwards and downwards and if you fall off the horse get back on the horse,
    Merry

Hi GDSA,

Yes, it’s praying time for me too. Thinking of you and your Dad, and Intesha and her Mum and Dad too.

Merry

Here I go! First fast day is tomorrow. I’m a healthy 53-year-old who would like to drop 20 lbs. I’ve been eating 1,200 calories and day for the past 3 months and exercising a lot (as I always have). How much have I lost? 0!! I’ve tried gluten free eating and many other diet programs, but none have worked. Not sure what’s left for me but to fast, so here goes!

Welcome Katarosa, all the best for your first FD tomorrow. Ask us anything!

Good to hear from you Merry. All the best to everyone dealing with ageing parents and the associated difficulties.

Hello everybody – hard to believe it’s 2 days off a month gone and we’re back after an amazing trip via Hong Kong and Paris to the Netherlands and Belgium and back. Everything from the beautiful spring gardens at Keukenhof outside of Amsterdam to the emotion of finding the resting place of my husband’s great uncle at Ypres in Flanders fields on ANZAC day. And a 29th wedding anniversary thrown in. (Couldn’t work out how to post a photo.) Feeling very grateful.

All my grand plans for a measured eating response were out the window by Day 3. Something interesting happened though. I’d normally run an ongoing barrage of internal criticism – but instead I felt completely at peace with the decision to let it go. I knew I’d just climb back on the IF wagon with this supportive community in behind me and I didn’t need to worry about returning to continual deprivation. We walked for miles as you do – and the net effect was a 2.8 kilo increase in a month. Not ideal but not as catastrophic as it could have been considering the French cheese, Dutch liquorice and Belgian chocolate! (Not to mention the hearty fish and beef stews – with the wee drink on the side).

Got back Saturday evening and first FD today – not as bad as I expected. I was actually looking forward to it (how totally weird is that??!) I’m going to try and make it through to lunchtime tomorrow. I have the dentist first thing so that should be sufficiently diverting :/

I haven’t caught up with all the posts – so if you
    • Lost some – congratulations
    • Gained some – commiserations
    • Stayed the same – hang on in there!

..and if you’re new – Welcome.

Hello!
    It was my first time making the Chicken Adobo, Thin, and it is delicious. My recipe does have added coconut milk, so I had a bit of chicken for lunch yesterday but without sauce except what was lightly coating it. Yummy! My first Filipino recipe as usually they are too sweet for me.

I also meant to say I bought some kimchi last year and just loved it! I found it goes with almost everything, and adding a bit to boring soup or stew is wonderful too. I SO meant to make some over summer, but didn’t manage to!

Enjoy your muesli, Gday! I used to love making my own, but I am like Merry and cannot tolerate raisins (or other dried fruit) and I couldn’t imagine it without any. (Maybe I could now? I must think about it).

Merry and Gday, sending good wishes your way as you manage this time of dealing with palliative and dementia care for fathers and fathers in law.

Best wishes for your rest day Merry!

Welcome Katarosa!
    I do hope you find 5:2 works well for you! We’d love to have you on the journey with us!

Slimmerella welcome home! I am so glad you had such a good journey, and stress free eating. Your words paint great pictures! Enjoy your fast day!

Hi you lovely bunch of Southern Hemispherite Beauties!!

Just had to post another massive goal achieved today since my happy hip operation. Today I returned to my one-on-one yoga session since before my surgery and it felt absolutely AMAZING!!! My yoga teacher was so delighted to see the difference from pre-surgery, she really thought things would not be as good as they are. It felt like I returned ‘home’, my body is so grateful and it was a joy to see how much more I could move!!

A little bit of background is I started doing private yoga and therapy yoga on 4 Jan 2016, same time I started my 5:2 journey. I was 146 kgs, hardly able to walk because of zero cartilage in my hip joint and I made the decision to put off surgery for a year so that I could lose some weight. What a year, faced a lot of demons, yoga was almost like counselling for my body! I have now lost 32 kgs and am excited for this next part of my journey to lose the rest of the excess weight. What a gift it is to be able to move without pain, to be able to bend, and to feel safe on my feet.

I am a very grateful 5:2 participant and I am very much looking forward to meeting the Perth ladies on Friday and being inspired by their 5:2 journey stories too!

Having a great NFD today, and had a really good FD yesterday. Next FD for me is Wednesday. Hope you are all having a happy Monday 🙂 x

Hi everyone, I’m still lurking Thin. This thread is so busy I get overwhelmed and feel I have nothing to contribute. Everyone is doing so well in adapting this WOL through the good and bad.

I have not moved much from my 67 even though most weeks I am doing 4:3. Not for any other reason than I think it stabilises me. On my NFD’s I just can’t stop eating and seem to constantly be filling my mouth. I know what I am doing but just can’t stop myself.

Mum is becoming more vague and Dad is getting slower. I am still doing my courses of cake decorating and biscuits and have started my coaching sessions with the young adult. I guess I have put myself under a lot of stress without realising it. I get very tired and just want to pack my bags and run away nice thought but not an option.

This forum gives me something to look forward to each day reading what everyone is getting up to. So I may not be posting but I am here cheering and supporting. It’s very good therapy without the price tag 😉😉

Yes, you do have plenty to contribute Intesha, and we miss you. So there. But I’m glad you are out there lurking at least. I know what you mean when people come and then go just as fast, it gets hard keeping up but don’t feel obligated to reply to everyone’s posts. Just mine. 😆 he he.

Hey Slimmerella! That went fast. Sounds wonderful. Welcome back. You have adopted the ‘Intesha’ approach to holidays and there’s nothing wrong with that. As Merry says, you are back on the horse now.

Cinque, I love the idea of that Adobo with coconut milk. I’ll be trying that one. And what a great tip to add the kimchi to soups – I hadn’t thought of that.

Lady Salsa, with 32kg lost, I believe you’ll be the one doing the inspiring on Friday. My next FD is also Wednesday. I have an awards ceremony for DD to tackle tomorrow night. The invitation says, ‘light refreshments’ so my dilemma is whether or not to skip dinner. I’m damned if I do and damned if I don’t. Some of you might know what I mean. At least Wednesday is the next day.

Here’s a quick 🙂 after reading everyone’s posts!

P.S. GDSA, I’ve been meaning to ask how Moggy is going?

It’s been an odd NFD, in fact I think I might treat it as a FD. I had medical appointments until 2pm and then had shopping and errands which kept me out until 4pm. I took a couple of pieces of fruit with me and I ate one of them. I’ve just cooked a quick stirfry of veg & chicken and am too full to want anything else now. I haven’t calculated calories but at a guess I’d say the day is roughly 500. I’m meant to do a FD tomorrow but I suspect that I won’t want to as it will feel like 2 FDs back-to-back.

Saw my orthopaedic surgeon this morning. It’s 2 years now since my knee replacement and he’s very happy with it. He’s keeping an eye on the other knee and said that the main joint hasn’t deteriorated at all in the last 2 years but the knee cap is showing a lot of damage. At the moment I have minimal pain from it so I think I can ignore it for quite a while. He also said that if I keep the weight off then I should get at least 20 years from the new knee joint and I should also be able to avoid other joint replacements for years – pleasing news. He talked to me about how much of an issue obesity is for the long term success of joint replacements – many of his patients say they will lose weight but most don’t manage it and far fewer keep it off after surgery, so he’s happy that I’ve managed that. I would actually have thought that more people would be losing weight for surgery now because so many hospitals have BMI restrictions on elective surgery these days – it’s what motivated me to lose weight, I needed a BMI under 35 to go to my preferred hospital and at the time mine was 50.

Hi all – haven’t caught up with everyone’s posts yet today, I’ll get to it after a cup of tea (I’m quite a few behind today).

LJ, What tasteful decorations on the cupcakes (pun intended)! I loved reading your descriptions! I’m not usually a frosting fan since most types simply taste like sweet nothing to me (in other words I might as well eat spoons of white sugar instead)! However, the cream cheese and white chocolate variety and the cream and marscapone variation sounded delectable and I completely understand the adults devouring the batches!

Wow! I hadn’t realized the statistics your doctor quoted with regard to obesity in his patients and the correlation between the extra weight and the resultant wear and tear on joint replacements. …I bet it feels wonderful being one of his success stories with regard to having shed the extra fat and kept it off. What a great pay-off for doing so, …getting long life out of your replacement!

Hello fabulous people. I’ve just done two FDs back to back – yesterday was planned and today’s was a spur of the moment decision this morning. I thought it would be harder, but yesterday was 440cals and today 496cals so I’m amazed I managed to stick with it. That said, I’m realising I do a lot of emotional eating so the FDs have been intellectually helpful as well as health-wise.

Thank you everyone for your posts, whether about successes, slip-ups or general life events. It helps to remind me that “life” happens to us all and sometimes it’s enjoyable and sometimes not. None of us are alone and reading how gentle Slimmerella was with her decision to not Fast on holidays was wonderful.

Good wishes to everyone whether fasting or not. 🌷🌷🌷🌷

P.S. thank you for the suggestions on the scales. 👍

Hi all, I just want to say congratulations to all who continue to lose you are all so awesome. GDSA I am where you started from so you give me hope that I can get to where you are! At work we have a de-stress corner with lollies and this is where I tend to eat the lollies, I can go several days with none then something will happen and I start on them. I am going to try Craftgirl’s suggestion and go for a walk around outside instead of hitting the lollies as I to am an emotions eater. I like your idea also Cinque of really enjoying one when I plan to have one. I found last week that I took a treat (scone) to work but because I knew I could have it I didn’t feel like having it so took it home again and my husband ate it instead, I was happy with that result. I have also just this weekend gotten to only having a small piece of the lunch slices/cakes I make when I make them and not having a piece while making the lunches. Everyone on here has a fantastic story of success so I know I can do it. I love reading everyone’s posts as they are always so supportive and informative. Have a great day tomorrow everyone whether it’s a FD or NFD. Thanks for all the great advice!

End of FD check in: 388cals- a bit over my usual 360 but not much.

Merry

Good morning all and a warm welcome to the new posters.

Minka – moggy is going ahead leaps and bounds – literally! Fur is growing back and she’s climbing trees, cupboards, scaling fences etc. Is extra smoochy these days too which is really nice. Miss D is quite proud to have the only 3 legged cat in the neighborhood!

Im trying a new strategy today for fast day. Will skip brekky and lunch and break my fast with my evening meal. I havent felt hungry during the day lately, having a small brekky and rarely eating lunch so hoping it wont be too challenging. This will give me a 24 hour fast from 6pm evening meal last night until 6pm tonight. Have planned tonights meal which will be 350 cal only.

Enjoy the day all 😊

Good morning,
    Lovely Moggy news!

Cold grey and wet here, but I am feeling pretty good. I even did some yoga stretches yesterday (inspired by you Lady Salsa!).

Lady Salsa, so delighted to read about your return to yoga, and aren’t you exactly right to delight in the precious gift of movement. What fun you’ll have now with more movement range and less weight!

Intesha, I also know what you mean about the thread being so busy. Infact I decided to stick to the Southern Hemispherites thread when I decided the Aussie Determination Thread (that was active when I first came here) was so busy it was like a game of skippy where the rope was turning too fast!
    This one does skip fast now!
    If it has been a couple of days (or even a busy couple of hours!) it is impossible to respond to everyone!

You are so busy and have so much responsibility! I’m glad the fast days are keeping your health going, but I do hope it comes round that you can eat normally on non fast days! Your time will come!

Hi Thin, the chicken Adobo is so delicious. I (accidentally) made it a bit hotter than I usually like hot food! But it was good to sweat a bit! 😉
    Re the awards ceremony, my strong impulse is to yell out Don’t go there hungry!
    I know I would try to eat something light so I could manage if there is nothing there worth eating, and have something little and delicious planned to eat when I get home, if needed, so that I only eat something if it looks wonderful and is nicer than what I have got waiting at home.

LJoyce, you are a champion! It is huge to be suffering pain and obesity and loss of mobility and manage to get to the point of being operable, and then to keep improving. So glad you are getting the rewards!

Hi Minka, so glad you could get a couple of posts in! Sending good wishes as always!

Craftgirl I love that description of Fast Days as ‘intellectually helpful’. That is exactly how I find them! So impressed by your back to back fast days!

Hi Redmoonstar, it must be so hard with those lollies there every day! Good luck with your strategies!

Excellent fast day Merry!

I’m off to make coffee, then it is hair cut day!

Katarosa – welcome, hope your first FD is going well. If you haven’t already done so, you need to calculate your TDEE: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/ as not eating too much on NF days is as important as the FD if you are trying to lose weight. If you’ve been eating 1200cals for 3 months and maintaining then you may have a particularly low TDEE. I’m in my mid 50s and mine is approx 1400 so I found that I’ve had to pay attention to what I eat and how much on all days, not just the FDs.

CraftGirl – I don’t envy you the B2B FDs – I tried it once and that was enough. Definitely not for me. Many of us have reasons for eating that have nothing to do with hunger, so you aren’t alone. I have found that the non-hunger eating rarely occurs anymore on FDs but for the first 2 months I made sure I had a punnet of strawberries in the fridge on FDs so that I had something I could safely graze on. I realised just recently that I’ve let go of that safety net now.

Cinque – all the talk of mung beans has me inspired. I’m soaking some at the moment and I’ve pulled 2 chicken breasts out of the freezer. I’ll make a mung bean dahl and a chicken & veg curry. That will cover dinner for a few days and hopefully give me some to freeze as well.

GDSA – hope these last weeks are as easy as they can be for your Dad and also for you and your family.

Minka – I hate normal icing too – I used to pull it off of cakes before I’d eat them even as a child. I remember the first time I ate carrot cake with cream cheese frosting – 1980s? – it was a revelation – finally found a frosting I actually liked. Given that I’m a cheesecake fan that wasn’t really surprising. That said, unless it’s a really special occasion I don’t do decoration. I usually bake muffins and loaf cakes that don’t require toppings or have one that’s baked on like streusel or nuts or a spoonful of lemon curd.

I’m behind in reading the posts so if I’ve forgotten anyone, sorry.

I’m having a busy cleaning day today. A real estate agent is coming to value the house tomorrow so I feel it has to look it’s best. I’ve been trying to do a room a day but I still have half the house to do. I’m hoping that I get some ideas on were it’s worth (or not) spending time and money over the next year before I put the house on the market.

Have a good day everyone.

Well its 6pm and I’m toying with the idea of not having my evening meal tonight and fasting straight through until breakfast tomorrow morning – making it a 36 hour fast. Today was easier than expected and even though I had bouts of feeling hungry a cup of tea or water did the trick.

Unsure how I will go getting to sleep with an empty tum but I guess there’s only one way to find out.

Ive been curious about longer fasts since reading Jason Fungs book so perhaps today is as good a day as ever to give it a go – especially since I am in the right frame of mind for it.

So here goes, my minds made up now……will report in the morning.

Good evening all. I’m loving all the positive messages. It makes FDs and NFDs that are struggles much easier.

GDSA I hope the 36hr Fast goes well for you. It’s very inspiring, especially during this difficult time for you and your family.

LJoyce thank you for the reminder about TDEE for NFDs. It’s a bit depressing to realise as I get older my TDEE will drop. I checked out the difference between age 49 and 50 and it drops by nearly 15cals. Doesn’t sound like much but it all adds up. I think my best option is to up my strength training so I build more muscle so if I go over my TDEE it won’t harm me too much. Salsa maybe I’ll follow your lead and finally try Yoga. You make it sound wonderful.

Cinque, thank you for your page of scientific articles. It lead me to the Wheat Belly book which I’m reading now. There’s so much stuff to read 😀

Best wishes to all SH fasters and thank you all for your inspiring stories.

GDSA you are amazing, I don’t sleep on my FD night without going 36 Hrs. Good luck and you are an inspiration as are all of you on here. Craftgirl well done on the BTB FD’s I struggle to get my eating under control on NFD after my FD without trying BTB! Hope everyone has a lovely day tomorrow be it FD or NFD.

Hello all its 5am (my usual waking time) and I’m pleased to say I survived the night without any dramas. I had a few tummy rumbles so a green tea at 8.30pm pushed them aside.

Had no problem falling asleep and slept well apart from some very weird dreams indeed ! I dont feel hungry at the moment just as Jason Fungs book predicted. Enjoying my coffee and about to do a treadmill and weight session.

I will continue my fast till midday. Further reading of JF’s book last night indicated that going a little bit over the 36 hours offers a lot more benefits for just a small amount of extra time.

As Craftgirl posted, thanks everyone for your inspiring posts and words of encouragement and praise. I truly believe that without this forum I would have failed FD within weeks of starting.

Happy Wednesday all 😃😆😊

Good morning everyone!
    Day before fast day for me!

Gday, so glad the extra fast time was so positive!

Craft girl, I’m hoping that the lower TDEE will be easy to manage as we should feel satisfied with the lower amount of calories, and can savour every mouthful we have. Fingers crossed!

At the moment I am concentrating on lots of vegetables (like that mung bean soup/stew) as I can eat so much it feels like a feast, and it does fill me up wonderfully and is so good for my digestion.

I’m glad you are finding interesting things in the science articles thread! 🙂

I’m still having good days. Flu injection this morning and dentist tomorrow, and inbetween I am finally getting further along with my YamDaisy project too.

Redmoonstar, are you still having trouble sleeping at the end of a fast day? What have you tried? How badly does it affect you?

Sunshine outside! I might go and see my garden. Bye all!

Hi Cinque,
    The first few fast days I would go to sleep but wake up a couple hours later, go to the bathroom then back to bed, I would be awake for 2 – 3 hours then get another 1-2 hours then back awake again. The first FD I woke up at 2.00am, got up again at 3.30am took some panadol with water then back to bed, up again at 4.30am and ate a protein bar got back to sleep around 5.15 – 5.30am, awake again at 6.30am. I didn’t sleep from the 2.00am to 5.15am, then next FD day I woke up around 2.30am got back to sleep around 4.30 – 5.00am, then awake again at 6.30am. My last FD day I slept better, woke up twice and was only awake around 30 mins each time. I usually have a drink ( haven’t eaten since 1st FD) sometimes I’ll read for a bit hoping to get sleepy. I’m hoping tomorrow’s FD I’ll sleep better as it will be no 6 FD. GDSA you are so amazing, I hope I can get to the point your at! Enjoy the sun all (if you have I!) I wish I wasn’t at work but out enjoying the sun as we don’t get much this time of year!

Redmoonstar, that is so hard! You won’t be enjoying the delicious day-after-fast-day feeling as much if you aren’t getting your sleep.
    Do you eat most of your fast day calories at the end of the day?

I hope you are enjoying your mungbean dal LJoyce!

I’ve just had a good big healthy non fast day midday meal and am putting it in writing that I won’t be having anything more until my evening meal! 😉

Cheers everyone

Hi @redmoonstar66,

I suffer occasional periods of insomnia, often lasting a few days. I found that reading would make me sleepy, but as soon as I turned out the light I would be wide awake again. The solution for me is a 30 minute “Sensations of the body” MP3 that I found free on the internet. Working through this in bed in a dark, quiet bedroom usually has me asleep before the 20 minute mark. (The narrator has a quiet, soothing voice, maybe Irish/Scottish?)

I’m a bit behind on making comments but I’ve been reading. Well done to those embarking on marathon fasts. It’s not something I want to contemplate but I applaud your ability to do so.

Redmoon Monica, Minka posted some info about exposure to sunlight in the morning for overcoming insomnia. If you go to her last post above, you can click on her profile and then her other contributions and find it that way.

Cinque, thanks for the advice on how I should have behaved last night. I’d skipped breakfast & lunch due to a morning tea (thankfully no damage there). It was too early for dinner. ‘Light refreshments’ turned out to be a lavish affair with an open bar and finger foods brought around the crowd. I tried at least one of everything, some were especially good, others not so great so I discreetly discarded the remainder. Overall, I’m not particularly happy with how much I ate and drank but I enjoyed the evening which was after all a celebration of DD’s academic achievements; today’s a FD so hoping to re-set my appetite as well as the scales.

Viewing 50 posts - 11,301 through 11,350 (of 28,012 total)

You must be logged in to reply.