Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,911 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Anzac65 33 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 8,251 through 8,300 (of 28,015 total)

• Hi Merry, yes I think it’s Bay advocating to ditch the starchy carbs. Or was that sugar? Oh well, completely agree – for me, I cut out bread altogether and it had the desired effect. I did find a pumpkin recipe in digital form and have since posted it on the other thread in case anyone else likes it – it’s not one of the two that I had in mind though.

We had that discussion about kgs vs. lbs vs stones on these pages recently and I’m exactly the same. I’ve morphed from stones to lbs to kgs. I now weigh less than I did in my twenties when I was a mad runner living in California; less than my OH for the first time ever and I can get into my wedding dress AND zip it up – so I’m very happy.

Take your time getting to the weight you want to be – maintenance looks a lot like 5:2. Many of us have tried 6:1 and come to the realisation that we probably face switching between the two regimes indefinitely depending on what else’s going on in life. And as Intesha says, everything’s a bonus these days.

My Mexican Black Bean Chilli is almost ready – I was so absorbed in chopping all the lovely colours that I forgot to eat my cauliflower soup at 2pm – it’s now after 3.30pm so that’s almost a 24 hour fast (yeah, yeah, I know, I had 22 cals of almond milk). This recipe is very similar to my Mexican Chicken Soup and I will post that on the recipe thread for anyone looking for a more substantial evening meal (277 cals). I used dried black beans in both (you seem to get a lot less at 60gm vs. 400gm tinned) but they’re very tasty and only took about an hour to simmer to an edible state.

Cheers everyone!

Good evening,
    I’ve been n my pyjamas all day, but I have babysat my granddaughter while her parents went to the ultrasound appt (all is fine!), been messed around with my precious home help, but ended up with the lovely Penny who brought knitting for me to sort out! And I think I did. Also showed her how to find a teaching youtube video for Tunisian crochet. In return she did all the hard housework. Then I spoke to a friend who fell off a low stool on Mothers Day and got concussion and a broken wrist. And somehow now the day has ended! (Shaun Micallef to look forward to on TV tonight!).

Intesha I remember going along Katherine Gorge with my mum, a quarter of a century ago! It was glorious, and we also saw a small freshwater crocodile.
    Yay for you and your clinging Tshirt!
    The top end is like a different country isn’t it!
    So glad it was a wonderful 8 days!

Merry I do hope the medics work out what is happening with your arm and leg and finger, and that it is something simple and easily fixed. (Surely that is not too much to ask!).

Your 6 kgs have inspired me. I am keenly putting aside other comments and am trusting my self, and I want to lose a few more kilograms. So I am back into mid term 5:2ing, instead of mucking around at that ‘almost at maintenance’ I was playing with last month.

Your dinner soup… I think I can smell it from here. Delicious!

Thin, were you a mad runner living in California! Cool! And I just love that you can zip up your wedding dress!

I’ve wondered if when I do get to maintenance, quite a bit further down the line, I might keep doing 5:2, but maybe doing 800 cals on fast days. But maybe you are saying that keeping on with the 500 cals is the go, and the rest of the days will take care of themselves?

I cooked blackbeans just the other day, but with my pressure cooker, which is much quicker. I love the taste so much better than tinned ones. I hope your chilli is delicious, not sure how it wouldn’t be!

I made an Ethiopian lentil salad with some just sprouted lentils that only took a minute to cook, and a lovely juicy green capsicum, and a wonderful mustardy dressing. I had it for my evening meal, instead of rice, with curried eggplant and it made a nice dish! Plus some lettuce and a few coriander leaves, which is all my garden can manage at the moment.

Now for Fast Day tomorrow! Dashi and chicken out of the freezer, and some dried mushrooms put to soak.

Best wishes everyone!

That all sounds delicious Cinque, I love lentils. We had eggplant curry last night and DD is enjoying the leftovers as she doesn’t do zucchini (Mexican Black Bean Chilli). Yes, thanks, it was really tasty so thanks for mentioning it today Arvee, and for posting the recipe, Cinque. OH had it too, his on a bed of rice with a huge dinner roll, large dollop of yoghurt on top. He’ll probably be snacking at the pantry shortly but he said it was good.

Cinque, I think you can do any form of “5:2 lite” when you get to your goal weight. Maintenance is as flexible as the weight loss stage and we can work out whatever suits us best. So, 800 cal FDs would probably be workable for you because I know you are a mindful, healthy eater on the other days. For someone like me, a bit prone to impulse eating, I seem to have two choices: 6:1 doing one proper 1/4 TDEE FD and being really careful on all the other days OR 5:2 having whatever I want on the other days, maybe even the odd restaurant meal, and with the second FD being a little flexible in that I could have real milk in my morning coffee (I didn’t today because I was a little up on the scales having had a meal out on Monday night).

I’m very much guided by my daily weigh-in but I know you go by how your clothes feel. Brave woman. Motivated by you all re-assessing goals today, I’m thinking that it would make more sense if my trigger weight was 60kgs and not 61kgs. So, perhaps I should try a bit harder to stay ‘under’ 60kgs, not ‘at’ 60kgs.

Yes, Thin, the starchy carbs includes sugars as well, so for me it’s no starchy veggies, all grain foods, all sugars including honey, golden syrup, fructosesyrups, jams, and so on. I’m gluten intolerant, and it includes all the gf alternatives. So, my food is pretty simple. Because I can’t exercise I also have to be careful to use cal low GI foods to keep a reasobale quanitity, so the proteins are the lower cal ones, and dairy things also have to be down the lower cal, lower GI end of those. The only exceptions I make are a small amount of dark chocolate which is needed to get me out of trouble if I overdo my energy expenditure, and birthday cake/special occasion meals, which I still try to make better choices for.

Thanks for the advice about maintenance🙂 I think I’m going to be staying on 5:2 when I finally get to maintenance. That’s my plan. I think I’ll still need the discipline of fasting 2 days a week. It’s the regularity of it I think I’ll need.

Intesha it sounds like you’ve had a wonderful holiday up top. I remember how lovely Kakadu is. Still laughing about your wet t-shirt! Maybe we should all set that as a goal – the wet tshirt goal lol.

Thanks Cinque. My finger is getting worse🙁, I’ve see the surgeon in a couple of weeks. Am having a very quit week trying to rest my leg and arm. It’s looking more and more like fibromyalgia though, damn it.

The chicken soup was a bit bland so It morphed into a Sri Lankan curried chicken soup. It was yumm! And 215cals/serve.

Must go to bed, picturing you in your PJ’s Cinque Lol.
    Cheers,
    Merry

Good morning. Reality has struck with a vengeance. I was hoping I had a little longer to spread my wings but doesn’t look like it. My Dad is such a proud man, never complains and never admits he is wrong or needs help. He was to pick me up from the station last night but I couldn’t get him on the phone so I ended up getting a taxi. When he saw me he said you’re a day early. I had left him my full itinerary and it had all my flight details. Then he told me that he had fallen coming up the back steps that afternoon, there are only two. His leg gave out, he fell backwards and couldn’t get up. He had to lay there until he heard the next door neighbour and called out for help. He is okay this morning, a little sore but I will be watching him like a hawk.

I am going away again in 12 days to Airlie Beach for my cousins wedding, I am going to be her bridesmaid. I think that might be my last trip for any length of time.

Anyway weight this morning, 71.3, I was 69.2 when I left. I think most of it will be fluid as I drank a few glasses of wine every night which I don’t do at home. So FD today we will see what tomorrow brings.

Merry, sorry to hear you are not well. We must catch up when you are feeling better.

You are all so creative with your cooking. I must start to try a few things. When I was married I loved cooking but living on my own I just stuck to quick and easy and working full time didn’t give me much time to do anything else.

Check in tomorrow. Busy day washing, cleaning etc.

Good Morning All,

Intesha, so sorry to hear about your Dad’s fall. That’s worrying, and I hope he recovers quickly, and his thinking/reasoning improves. They seem to go downhill in fits and starts sometimes rather than gradually. You will really enjoy your time away as bridesmaid. And of course, there will need to be a photograph showing of said gorgeous bridesmaid when we get together.

Talking of photos, Cinque, we forgot to do that. Next time!

FD for me today and I’m starting the day at 67.4kg. Yesterday’s calories were 260 under my TDEE. I’m sure that all helps, though I don’t plan to do it every NFD, just part of my “hit it fast and hard after a blowout on a special meal” thingy.

Supposed to be going out today for a short get together for Myalgic/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome International Awareness Day which is today🙂 That’s still debatable right now, as I debate with my dodgy bits, but I may make it and bless some taxi driver with my 5:2 awesomeness, though not quite at wet t shirt standard yet!

Probably the newly styled Sri Lankan curried chicken soup for later today – 2 serves left. No great culinary genius happening in our kitchen, just a couple of teaspoons of a Sri Lankan curry mix from the ” Your Inspiration at Home” range, which is party planned by a rellie. Didn’t go to a party but did smell some of them in their pantry. I’m all for shortcuts! OH got a surprise though because he was expecting French herbs, pepper and crushed garlic we put in together. Actually, I think it was too bland because I forgot to put in stock, and just started with water. Masterchef contestants seem to live on a whole other planet! I can’t for the life of me understand why so much effort goes into putting 2 little dots of something on a plate, or a scrape, and most of it has to stay on the plate. I’d much rather have a dollop on the food. Does anybody lick their plate? Reminds me of when commercial icecream first appeared and we were allowed to lick the plate of the last precious bits of rare icecream with milo sprinkled on it. Masterchef seems to become a global phenomenon! At least it’s brought some people back to cooking food from scratch, and many children have been introduced to the raw ingredients of the stuff on our plates. My 5yr old granddaughter has chooks at home, collects the eggs, and can break eggs with one hand on the side of a bowl like a pro. Grannie, on the other hand, still can’t do that – the cracking bit that is, not the collecting bit, though today’s not the day for me to be wandering down to the chookshed. GD can whisk a pretty mean couple of eggs too, though I do remember at her age I was learning to cut bread with a breadknife. Remember those wonky slices till we got the hang of it?

Have a good day everyone, and a good FD to the Thursday fasters – even you lurking people🙂
    Onwards and Downwards!
    Merry

Aaagh, just accidentally deleted a nice chatty post I had nearly finished!

Fast Day today, hooray. I need it. I should have touched wood and whistled when I said I was back in my fasting groove. I’m still bouncing about, waiting for hunger to be a passing feeling again, rather than an imperative. Made it worse last night by not drinking enough, My brain seems to give up saying “I need water” and asks for food instead So I got the munchies in the evening and ate a cup full (at least!) of raw cashews. My tummy is telling me that it is not very happy about it this morning.

Intesha what a nasty bump you’ve landed back with. I do hope your dad feels better soon and things are not too difficult.
    That couple of kilos should go away quickly and you will be ready for a lovely wedding holiday!
    Cooking seems to come (and go) in waves, for me anyway. So hopefully you will get a nice wave of cooking inspiration sometime soon, even if you are only cooking for yourself.

Merry, so worrying to hear your finger is getting worse. Might you need to the doctor again before you see the surgeon? Hoping the rest is not FMS. I have only known it being overall pain, in people I have met, so it does sound strange.
    I’m glad you could morph the chicken soup into something delicious!

Thin, I failed at mindful healthy eating yesterday! And really, my presumption had been that ongoing 5:2 would be the go, just as you describe it. I was taken aback when Dr Mosley said he stopped doing it because his wife said he was looking gaunt. I hope I can cruise along with it, deciding how hard to fast, depending on how I feel.

Must get out of the pjs! I’m going for a coffee and shopping with my good friend. She and her hubby are heading off to Europe for a couple of months, so this is the last time for a while. I might buy her a bunch of flowers! (She’ll have time to enjoy them for a few days before they go).

Best wishes all!

2nd FD night of the week. TDEE 1500, 1/4 of TDEE is 375 cals. This week so far:

Monday FD: 365cals

Tuesday NFD: no breakfast or morning tea, then unfinished caesar salad with chicken lunch eaten out at 1.30pm, + moderate dinner. My guess is over TDEE because of caesar salad (menu almost solely made up of things on various types of grains, so very little to choose from). Had weak black tea so no cals there.

Wednesday NFD: 1236cals,

Thursday FD: 415cals

Didn’t get out today after all, so I’ve also made a slow cooker meal for tomorrow +. freezer portions.
    Trying to rest more than usual, so a bit earlier to bed tonight.
    Night night,
    Merry

Extra last post because this feels so weird. I’m writing down a couple of recipes from the Masterchef masterclass. Weird because I’m not a cook, I don’t like cooking. I’ve never fried chips ever, actually never deep fried anything and I’ve made precisely 1 pavlova and 1 cheesecake in my 6+ decades, and I rarely watch Masterchef except the last episode. . (My girls, however, are cooks, but got their cooking genes from my MIL, and GD watches Jamie Oliver like other kids watch Playschool.)

However I’m now thinking ahead to maintenance over the years ahead, still doing my FDs 2 days a week. I figure that if I decide to cook something (wonders never cease) that’s got heaps of cals and carbs in it, then it better be really good, and we will really enjoy it. OK, that’s my Masterchef bit for the next couple of months.

Night night again,
    Merry

Good FD yesterday down from 71.3 to 70.1 this morning. I think I will do an FD on Sunday as well just to get myself back on track.

Cinque what a good position we will find ourselves in once we get to that maintenance stage. To eat or not to eat.

I have totally eased up on myself and stopped berating myself if I eat something I know is not good for me. I really don’t know how much more I will lose. I’ve lost 17kg and quite possibly could shed another 10 but I will stick to 5:2 and let my body decide. I still have a muffin top when I put on certain pants/slacks do I think that will be my guide.

Caught up on the washing etc yesterday. Busy day today gym, grocery shopping, get my first ever flu shot and ironing.

Happy Friday everyone.

Hi Everyone
    Sorry haven’t posted for a couple of days. It was my ‘busy’ week where I work 3 days and on Wednesday I had morning tea with a colleague on mat leave and then to a big shopping mall, thats had additions lately, with my daughter and granddaughters 🙂 Itesha, i just signed a form at work to get a flu shot too. I dont normally get them but Ive been away on holidays for at least a month over the last 5 Winters and this year we aren’t going to mid August. Merryme, whats wrong with your finger? I had a cyst and op last December (first ever op). I still can’t bend my finger very much and am still seeing a hand therapist fortnightly (again today at 1pm )Today Im cooking pasatta and making bolonaise sauce. My OH is still ripening tomatoes from his garden in our kitchen window! My 22yo son who has moved back home will appreciate the left overs for a few lunches!!
    You have all done well with your fast days and so have I 🙂 Im hoping to be within my 2kg goal range at my official weigh in on Monday, but want to be at lower end! I did make it to maintenance but 6;1 didn’t work for me so i will continue 5;2 and weighing everyday . I put on last November when we had 4 immediate family birthdays and then Christmas and its taken me this long to get back on track.

Good morning everyone.

Was that a recipe for risotto and arancine balls that you copied down Merry? I watched the ‘masterclass’ part of the show last night too. They did look delicious!

Intesha, life is always better if we are not beating up on ourselves! It must feel nice to see the scale go down, and to go with the flow of good 5:2, and see what the result is! Hope your dad is going okay! Hello to you both from Melbourne, with its weak sunshine this morning!
    Won’t it be fun when we are maintaining!

I get the flu shot every year. The first year I got it I was slightly unwell for about a week. The second year I was awfully crook for a day. And since then, all I have is a few days of the needle site feeling a bit warm. And no flu! Hooray!

Wow Judy, still getting those last tomatoes! I’ve got three butternuts still on their vine and wondering if they might get any more ripening! We don’t get frosts where they are growing, so I will keep them out there as long as I can.
    What lovely cooking you are doing today! Lucky son!

When I began 5:2 it was very easy and I just felt it got better and easier. But once I had a blip it has been so hard to get back on track. Just a tiny blip! Nothing like what you and so many others go through at Christmas. It has made me determined not to blip again. Too hard to unblip!

Best wishes everyone for a good day!

Yay!!! 67.0 kg, lol, the scales dithered between 66.9 and 67.0, maybe tomorrow. Big thing is fast and hard worked, despite my maybe over cals a wee bit on Tuesday. Maybe I wasn’t. I know caesar salad has lots of cals and I added chicken and ordered no croutons, and I left some of the bacon, chicken and some of the commercial dressing dolloped on top. Not the best caesar salad, but it was huge. I had the ‘baby boomer don’t like to throw out food’ thought but did it anyway, cos it was just too much anyway. I’ve had a beetroot salad at the same place that was just way overkill too, so I think we may have to give that cafe a miss except for a coffee.

Judy- the finger thing is a mystery. There’s small elements of 4 different conditions, it’s swollen and I can barely move it, and a tendonhas thickened in my palm, but in a stranger place than 1 condition. Sometimes my hand including the wrist swells as well. Opposite arm to the dodgy arm, so it’s a bit awkward. I think I have ‘ipad hand’ exacerbated by a rare reaction to an experimental drug I’ve been on in a trial. I’ve had a couple of uncommon reactions to drugs before, and I have spent too much time holding my ipad when I have to lie down. Also seeing hand therapist today. Your food sounds lovely. Home grown tomatoes are the best.

Cinque- it was the risotto and the cheesecake, because they are sort of basics. I would never cook a big enough quantity to have enough left over for arancini balls, and they’re deep fried anyway, a nono for me. That phonlooked good though. But I was done concentrating by then. You know what mean.

Intesha- well done! We’ve both done well hitting the food breakout on the head. I’m sure you’ll get back under 70!

That’s what’s so remarkable about 5:2. We can get back on the horse, because it’s not everyday deprivation like other diets are, and you know how it goes – after a while the FDs just feel normal, then we start looking forward to them

Cinque – I’ve broken the barrier, and you will too. It’s Ok. We’ve maintained to months, and that’s good. We both look and feel so much better, and the pain of being overweight is gone, and we’re not going back there. We’re both old hands at the ME/CFS thing now and we will get those last kgs off!

Have a lovely day all,
    Merry

Oh dear, I’ve been keeping up with the posts but I’m so behind in commenting.

Intesha, sorry you had to return to that scenario, it must be distressing for both you and your dad. I hope you’ll find other ways to be able to continue taking these holidays as you seem to thrive on them.

Well done to all who’ve reached such great milestones this week – why not treat yourselves to a lovely massage? I had one today at my local ‘hole in the wall’. There are no oils, aromas or hot pebbles but they have some young Taiwanese lads with very strong hands who just get stuck right in and get the job done. I used to visit a ‘day spa’ at three times the price until I found this gem of a place but I like more than a bit of a rub down by some girlie girls so I’m happy to forego the fluffy slippers. Anyway, when I was served my tea afterwards, my masseur asked me how much weight I’d lost and how I’d done it so we had a chat about 5:2 and he seemed very keen to give it a try.

Merry, I count that as 66.9. Go you! I was a hand therapist in a former life and what you described was sounding like a Dupuytren’s Contracture until you mentioned the swelling. I hope you get a good diagnosis so you can get the proper treatment. And Judyf, I hope the ROM returns to your digit.

So many other things I wanted to comment on but this will be far too long already. Hi Cinque. So, there’ll be three of us fasting on Sunday, yay! A coffee announcement follows. Have a great weekend all.

Perth/Freo losers! Coffee meeting 10.30am on Monday 16 May at Sprolo Cafe, 138 Canning Hwy, South Perth. VegoDownUnder will be there and CharliesMum is also hoping to join us (pending puppy-sitting duties having ended by then). Please come along. They make great coffee!

Oh Thinatlast, I’ve seen a hand therapist 9 times. My surgeon didn’t tell me to see one after surgery and in fact after 4 weeks I asked him for a referral as I couldn’t bend my finger and he said ‘not necessary’. Although I know that surgery wouldn’t cause Dupuytren’s Contrcture I wonder whether the trauma would bring it on as I had no symptoms before surgery. My mum and uncle both have it too. I also wake with pins and needles in my hand so that may be the start of Carpel tunnel. I’ve always been healthy and never had any surgery until last December (I’m 54) I really don’t want more surgery on my hand!!! 🙁 Enjoy your meet up with other 5:2ers’
    Merryme, when you say your palm is swollen, is it a nodule type of thing? I have a couple because of Dupuytren’s and they are quite painful. I hope your finger and hand is diagnosed soon and it is sorted quickly.
    Cinque, our pumpkins didn’t do as well this year.
    Well I am enjoying a glass of red wine while waiting for my daughter and son-in-law. I’ve been babysitting my 2 gorgeous granddaughters and they have been so good and both went to sleep very easily. – quite boring really lol

Hi Judy, – I didn’t realise you’d been diagnosed with a Dupuytren’s Contracture. Is this the same finger that the cyst was removed from – I’m guessing middle digit? As far as I know, the causes aren’t really established but there are some predisposing factors, for example, it is familial. In my role, I saw patients post-surgical release but I totally understand your not wanting further surgery. There isn’t much else in the way of treatment and, even after surgery, it can return. As for carpel tunnel, prevention is the best measure. I’m sure you’ve googled what to do. These days, I believe RSI often presents in the form of thumb symptoms from all the unnatural texting on small devices – we’ll probably evolve with small hands and a giant opposable digit!

Oh dear, best wishes to everyone with their hands. It reminds me how precious our hands are! Thin, aren’t you a handy person to have here!

I am feeling good today, after a week of being quite crook. On top of that, it is a lovely sunny morning with a light, fresh breeze. Bliss. I mustn’t over do it, but I have already looked after my coriander seedlings, watered the garden, spread bi carb paste over the oven door (on the inside, to clean it!), stacked the dishwasher and turned it on, made sure I have today’s food sorted, and checked the forums! I wonder what else I might manage!

I have my granddaughter coming today for a bit. After her nap, so she definitely won’t be boring, lol.

I had an extraordinary pumpkin season Judy. I must have put some very fertile seeds in the compost and they were coming up everywhere at the start of summer, I was pulling out a dozen every day for weeks. I let one stay. It took ages to get a male and female flower out at the same time though, so only one was properly ripe. I think I will get the other three though!

I hope it is a beautiful morning like this in South Perth for that coffee date!

Best wishes to you all!

Hi All,
    Thinatlast, I will,of course, have sugary if needed but dont want to. Its not yet at that stage. So true about the texting, computers have already cause so much hand/finger damage but I guess secretaries in the older days had same problems?
    Cinque, I spoke too soon. Last night my 4 month old granddaughter did wake at 11.30. I did have to feed her. Her mum wasn’t too impressed when she came home bursting, but it was after 12.30am when she arrived here, so I had to feed and mum had to pump when she got home 🙂 Because I wasn’t in bed til after 1am I had a late sleep in and have only hung the washing I put on last night, so now I need to get on with it. Tonight will be a calorie filled night with Thai and wine with my girlfriends as our hubbys are motorbike riding again this weekend-last one before Spring!!!

Judy, please don’t treat your hand with anything sugary! I think you once mentioned working in a doc’s office so you probably have good advice – or perhaps you are the medical professional in the office. Anything I write here Cinque is for chit chat purchases only, I’m not qualified to offer professional advice in cyber-space and I’ve been out of the field for some years. Sorry you’ve been feeling under the weather this week and I hope you have a great weekend. And the Thai food and wine sounds a treat Judy.

I forgot to reply to the comment about leaving the pumpkins out for a little longer – I decided to leave my last four precious oranges on the tree for the same reason. The result was that a dratted rat got two of them. If I prune the tree at the top, will it have the effect of producing more fruit next season?

Where are my Sunday fasting buddies?

Hey Thin, I’m here. Had a good FD hopefully the scales will be kind to me tomorrow.

Had an email from the gym and they are closing down at the end of June. I have been going for 6 years and the closest one now will be 20 minutes away so I will have to find something else to do. I know 20 minutes doesn’t sound much but for a 30 minute session and the petrol it’s not worth it.

Had some blood taken today to see how my cholesterol is going. Hoping it has reduced.

I’m here too. My miso soup is just about ready to eat, hooray!

I was hungry today, but reminded myself that that meant the fast is doing its job!

I hope your coffee catch up was good Thin!

Good luck re your scales and cholesterol test tomorrow Intesha! Bad news re the gym though! 🙁

That’s too bad Intesha, because you also got a lot of encouragement from the people at the gym. I agree, I wouldn’t drive 20 minutes to do a 30 minute workout. Time for a change maybe? And a chance to meet new people, wink, wink. Good luck with the blood test results and the scales – betting you’ll be back under 70kgs tomorrow.

Cinque, that’s it, hurray for autophagy! I woke thinking, oh no Sunday, I really don’t feel like fasting. But I pushed through it, did my walk among the Million Paws pooches and ended up going with my neighbours to a native plant cutting sale at Kings’ Park. Then we had coffee (well, herbal tea for me) and, before I knew it, it was 3pm and I hadn’t yet eaten. Enjoy that soup.

Do either of you have any thoughts on the 24 hour fast? I was almost there this last two weeks and I’m wondering if it would be easier knowing you’d have a real dinner to look forward to every day? Not that it’s hard as it is.

It’s a drizzly old day here in Perth. We have Abbey the greyhound for the weekend (we didn’t take her for the Million Paws walk though) but she’s sweet company and everyone loves her. I hope she finds a home as the previous one did. The coffee meeting is tomorrow Cinque. All Perth environs lurkers are welcome – please make yourselves known.

Hey Thin, I’m here fasting today and I went 24 hours before I ate. Mowed the lawn and played golf. For dinner I’ve just had some stir fry vegetables with cashews, no rice. Lucky if I ate 300 calories. I have more energy on days when I don’t eat. Cheers, Bay 🌺🌺🌺🌺

Hi Thin, I’m not advocating 24 hour fast. Just saying that it’s easily possible. If you are successfully maintaining with normal 5:2 then why would you mess with it. Cheers, Bay 😏😏🌺🌺

Good morning. Yum, post fast breakfast is lovely!

I get fairly close to a 24 hour fast. I eat my evening meal the night before fast day, and then don’t eat again until I have my chicken miso soup as my evening meal on my fast day, 24 hours later.
    However, I have milk in many of my cuppas through the day, so the true 24 hour fasters would disqualify me!

It is a beautiful morning here, I have a dental appt at noon and a meeting tonight. (Just reminding myself)

Bay I wish I had more energy the days I don’t eat! Yesterday I was scritchy all day: irritable but not energetic! Although I did manage to plant the bulbs that were sprouting already (jonquils from my old neighbour) and turn up that pair of trousers!

Oh dear I do get the days mixed up, enjoy that cafe catch up today Black Swans!

Hi Bay, nice to see you here. How are getting on with losing your 4 kg excess? We didn’t know you were a Sunday faster. I can do lots of physical activity on a FD too – but I find my thinking isn’t always so clear. This is contrary to what I’ve read about feast and famine behaviour, the need to be alert when looking for food, etc. I also recall that when I was a vegetarian back in California, I had a lot more energy than when I was eating meat.

I’m wondering if I could be a vegetarian again. There were some animal lib people at the Million Paws event and they made some good points about not eating animals. And DD has written a scientific review about halal slaughtering in Australia for an ethics unit at uni which made me think twice about whether I want to eat it. She has also visited an abattoir but is pragmatic and does eat meat.

Cinque, Merry, (Nap if you’re out there), do you anticipate an eventual recovery from CFS or is this something you believe you will live with for the rest of your lives? I ask because I met a lady who had taken an early retirement due to CFS but who says that, after many years, she has since overcome it.

Cinque, it’s the two almond milk coffees that would disqualify me from a pure 24 hour fast too. Other than that, it doesn’t seem that difficult. Bay, I just ask because yesterday for the first time, I really didn’t feel like fasting and it made me worry that I might ultimately lose my enthusiasm. I’ve only maintained this weight since September so it’s not a success story yet. I think 24 hr fasting would be ideal for when on holiday. Although you say you still only had a 300 meal at the end of the fast? I’d been thinking it would be a normal meal. I think it’s the planning for the OFMs that becomes the challenge some days.

Intesha, did you get back into the 60s?

Good Morning everyone, wnd a great 5:2 week to you all🙂

My once a week graphing day today and I’m starting the week at 67.3, and I’m happy with that. It’s up 0.3 since my lowest weight of the week but is a lot lower than last Monday. This last week I really think my body is back in the 5:2 rhythm. I previously identified my 2 points of where I go off the rails and eat too much or the food that’s wrong for me (especially bread which I shouldn’t for non-food reasons anyway). So, here’s my weak points –

1. ‘Stress’ eating – I’m better at it than I was pre 5:2. My strategy to continue 5:2 through the stress and shift my goal to maintenance for the acute stress period has worked for me. I didn’t always finish my FDs, but I did keep recording my daily weight and graphing my Monday weight. I also recorded, on the graph what was happening if there was a rise at any time. Now I can look back and see the triggers that get me off track. Also keeping to 16:8 on my nonFDs really helped keep my weight in maintainance mode. The very worst few days, I didn’t manage waiting till 12noon to eat, but overall the strategy to use 16:8 still worked.

2. ‘Tired’ eating. If I’m up late I get hungry. 16:8 means, for my choice of the 8 eating hours, I eat between 12 noon and 8pm. Strategies I’ve used are to have a glass of water, cup of coffee with splash of milk, s ugar free lolly, or sugar free jelly. I don’t want to use much of these products long term but I’m prepared to use them while I normalise my weight. We’ve been watching Eurovision and last night I even had a salad of leaves, grape tomatoes and celery with a tiny amount of low cal dressing, to help get me past the ‘Munchie Monster’ that lurks and rears it’s head at about 10.45pm.

Thin – yes, I expect to have ME/CFS for life. I know about the power of expectation, but with ME/CFS it’s analagous to expecting to regrow an amputated limb. In general, yes, there are a few who recover. Not a lot, but they generally did not have it very severely, and recover after 2 or 3 years. It is very, very rare for a longtermer to recover. I have recently known of 1 internationally who recovered after 18 yrs after being treated for Lyme disease for 4 yrs, in other words she had Lyme disease all along, not ME/CFS/Fibromyalgia. Even when they recover, it is not 100% recovery. Over the years they can relapse, so have to be very careful not to overpush themselves during times of stress or long term physical burden. That said we all rejoice when someone recovers, because it gives us hope that one day there will be answers. There is much research to be done, and unfortunately, most people with ME/CFS live lives hidden away from the public, bedbound, housebound so we are not a visible group, have the energy to push for funding and activism, and there are still some medicos and general public who do not accept it exists. There are others, like Cinque and me , who are able to get out and do some things that give us a resemblance of a normal life, but it often takes many years to get to that point. Unfortunately, mitochondrial dysfunction is a very real possibility for some. This is not like other illnesses we are used to – you can’t fight against it or ‘push throught it’. If you do, you get worse, permanently worse or at least for many years.

Getting a bit morbid now so will finish with the comment that – Being happy is a decision. It can be done🙂

Well done, Merry. I agree that being happy is a choice. Life is too shot to be miserable. 🌺🌺🌺

Thin, you caused me to really think about my answer.

When I fast for 24 hours without food, this is as part of 5:2 where we really eat 300-500 calories (depending on TDEE) over 36 hours. On a fast day I am effectively saving up my calories until dinner. My fast day dinners are usually around 300-350 calories.

I am still working on reversing my weight gain. When I look at my history, I spent 6 months losing 17 kg, then I maintained that weight loss for 12 months through mindful eating and regular 5:2 fasting. Then I gradually relaxed, stopped regular 5:2 fasting, and indulged myself, and the 4 kg weight slowly came back and has stayed for 12 months. Now I am aiming to lose the 4 kg over the next two months by going back to 5:2 fasting. I seem to need the regular reset twice a week to lose the extra weight, and then to maintain my weight loss. 6:1 is only good for a short while, then I need 5:2.

Hope that answers you. Everyone is different and has to find what works for them. If something is working for you, keep doing it. I think I got bored and also a bit complacent, thinking Oh, well I can always fast the extra food off. Trouble is, I didn’t. 😜😜

Cheers, Bay 🌺🌺

Hey psychic Thin, yes I was 69.9 this morning but just sabotaged myself by eating an apple turnover. I know I shouldn’t but some days I just can’t help myself. FD’s Tuesday and Thursday.

Thin you do yourself an injustice. Doesn’t matter how or when you lost the weight. You did it an achievement
    Well worth boasting about. Don’t undermine yourself.

I just try and stick to the basics of 5:2 it’s a lot easier than trying to reinvent the wheel when someone has already done the hard work. Once I stop gallivanting around the country I will be back into it with a vengeance. Still as I have said previously I am happy where I am at the moment.

Hi everyone
    Good on you to all the Sunday fasters. I wish I did fast yesterday as I got the ‘ hungries’ while out shopping- bought sugar laden food and it went downhill from there 🙁 . Merryme, it’s also my official weigh today and unfortunately I’m the same weight as last Monday. I had lost a kilo but a Thai restaurant, after pre-dinner drinks at a girlfriends house put that kilo back on ( who’da thought? ) My OH was away motorbike riding for the weekend and I overindulged a bit. Unfortunately this week I won’t do much better as we have friends coming for dinner Wednesday night and our kids for lunch on Sunday as well as restaurant meals on Friday and Saturday nights- birthdays -are a killer! And I hadn’t even thought of the cake that will be involved!
    On a brighter note- my last two fasts and today’s went/are going really well 🙂
    Cinque I hope your trip to the dentist goes well!

Hi Thin

You planned for OFMs all through the time you were losing weight. And what a fabulous weight loss it was. I just make normal meals for others, and eat only the vegetables with a piece of fish, chicken or meat, or an egg. No starches, breads, or sugars or desserts. 🌺🌺

You lost a substantial amount of weight because you were highly motivated. What is different? Now you need a different sort of motivation to make this your WOE for life. Health, energy, dementia, vanity, clothing. Whatever floats your boat. That’s me talking to myself. 😜😜. Eternal vigilance. I keep reading lots of different ideas, Jason Fung, Giulia Enders, stomach biota, etc etc. 😇😇

Cheers, Bay 🌺🌺

Hi Everyone,
    the dentist was good, although I might need some fillings under my crowns (I’m bad on the dental front and don’t have many of my own teeth left! 🙁 ) and that could wreck the crowns. I discovered tooth mousse and piksters.

Just getting ready for my meeting this evening.

I made such a good lunch, but when I was checking if I had any butter left, I found half a dark chocolate Easter bunny in the butter thing in the fridge door. My daughter had left it there. I ate it. I’m refusing to say I was sabotaging myself Intesha! Like you, I know it is good to have a treat now and then. It wasn’t a fast day, I’m allowed. However, I am going to be careful for the next couple of days because, although it wasn’t very sweet it was a bit, and sugar doesn’t agree with me.

Merry they are good categories. I used to be a stress eater, not sure how much I am now. I am a ‘tired’ eater, I get so exhausted and then don’t make good decisions, and don’t have anything planned, and chaos ensues! Stress makes me exhausted and stuffs up my planning, so they do run into each other!

Bay, so lovely to have you here for a bit! Good luck on getting that 4kg sorted. I really appreciate hearing your experience, it will help me make good decisions when I (finally) get to maintenance.

Thin, I ran CFS support groups for several years and interracted with so many people, through them, and through media things. I met a few people who said they had had CFS and were cured, but they always added that they never go out at night, or weren’t able to work full time, or something that showed that they were comparatively well, but not on a par with what most people think is well.

I am able to manage so much better, and am often without symptoms and able to do many things to live a relatively normal life, but any set back and I am struggling again. I would love to think that I could keep improving and get to a place I can function normally (being able to clean the car is the benchmark I would love to reach one day!) and that setbacks don’t pull the rug out from under me, but I know it is more likely that I need to wait for them to figure out what is actually causing this, and what can be done about it.

My experience is very like Merry’s.

Judy, congratulations on your good fasts, I hope you can ride through the week ahead without too much damage, and that the following week will be more fast friendly.

Off to put my feet up for 10 minutes before that meeting! See you later!

Thanks Bay, I appreciate your honesty about your maintenance experience. As you know, you’ve been a huge inspiration to me throughout my 5:2 trip. I’ll re-read ‘the book’ to re-inforce why I’m doing this; it’s not just about weight loss as you say.

Meeting VDU and CM for a nearly three hour marathon yak today was fun, including finding out how everyone makes 5:2 work for them, we’re all quite different. As far as feeding OFMs, CM’s OH gets whatever she’s having while VDU’s OH often cooks his own dinner. I’m exactly 60kgs today so I have plenty to be happy about.

Merry and Cinque, thanks for sharing your stories – you’re both reminders about how easy most of us have it and that we must not take good health for granted. You deserved the Easter bunny Cinque.

Intesha, so pleased you got back down so quickly, sometimes when I get a good result on the scales, I sabotage it too – maybe it’s our bodies lacking something. When are you off to Airlie Beach?

Good morning everyone, posters, readers, lurkers, newbies, come and say hello🙂

Checking in – 66.8kgs, down 0.5 from FD yesterday………..Yay!!!! Back on a roll. Finally cracked my pre 8 month period of “travel, then get back off starchy carbs, then several Capital L Life stresses over months” maintainence where I fluctuated through a 2.5kgs at it’s worst. I finally feel like I’m back on a roll. The L Life stresses are still there but now reasonbly manageable without the worst of the emotional rollercoaster effect.

Bay, thank you for your coments and bouquet🙂 And thank you for your story of your 5:2 journey. You will be back at your goal weight .

Intesha well done! You are so much stronger in your approach to weight now than when you started 5:2. It’s fantastic isn’t it? We have truly found the holy grail of normalizing our weight.

Thanks Thin, the most important thing I’ve learned is that my mental attitude and emotional health are the key to a better/happy life. That coffee morning sounded fun.

Cinque – that made me laugh and I agree you deserved the Easter Bunny! Hope you day went well and not too tiring.

Judy – this week will be a time of learning. Learning what potion size you might have, learning what on a menu will fit you, learning you can share a dessert, a plate, or a piece of something, learning you can leave stuff on the plate, or part of a drink. Last night I thought I had it planned but had forgotten I was to go to a short easy meeting that was in a restaurant and so dinner out. It was my FD so had an entree that included a bit of protein and salad, and cup of milk coffee, and a very small apple when I got home. I ate the entree slowly. Interesting as these were all mature age women. 3 of them shared 1 pizza, having 2 slices each. There was even a conversation of how plate of food sizes have grown steadily over the years and we need a reality check.

Have a good FD Tuesday fasters,
    Merry

Hi all – just to let you know I’m lurking! Have been ‘off radar’ for a few months. Clocked up one yr of fasting end of Apr, and have really just been existing over the last few months, keeping on fasting, but not being at all mindful on the off days.

I hit my travel goal of 74 back in Feb, but then went on holiday and put on 3 or so kgs, and then have just dottered between 78-80 for a couple of months.

So now I’m back to checking the starch I eat in weekends and being “mindful”.

Unfortunately I have it in my head that ever since I gave up jogging, I haven’t been able to lose weight, I maintain, but not lose, and it’s now been 6 months since I stopped. So a few things to get my head around and start getting back to where I was to continue the journey.

Was really comforting to see so many familiar “faces” still posting and catch up with your news and take an infusion of inspiration.

Thin I leave for Airlie next Tuesday back the following Tuesday.

FD today, weight this morning 70.4, apples turnover and all. Maybe we are trying to find reasons why this doesn’t work so we can justify putting the weight back on. Sorry brain but this time you are not going to win. Yes I will be naughty every now and then but I have my magic powers now that help me get back on track.

Merry I am much stronger now on all fronts, it was a battle but that’s life. I still have three boxes of chocolates that I bought back from Belgium so how is that for willpower?

Nikt it is all a mind game and as long as you stick to the basics you will get there in the end. It’s also good to read what all of us are going through so you know you are not alone. It’s still a struggle for us as well but it’s good to be able to speak to like minded people.

Welcome back Nik, I was thinking about you last week and wondering if we’d ever hear from you again. When I was a jogger, I could eat and drink anything and never gain weight. These days, I believe exercise is great for maintaining but not so instrumental in losing weight. I know you were jogging those hills before but, even if you can’t run now, I still believe you can do this just with 5:2. Come back and join us please Nik! Someone needs to represent the long white cloud.

Whinge alert: There was a lot on ‘Trust Me I’m A Doctor’ last night that I was going to comment on but now I’ve forgotten most of it. My reverence for Dr M. is threatened by this infotainment. Testing 10 volunteers is hardly a valid study. And why were they all so shocked to discover that lifting weights in the form of cans of peas would have the same effect as lifting weights in the gym? We wrote home programmes for patients using household items 30 years ago. A weight’s a weight.

Seeing this proliferation of Dr Mosley shows makes me wonder when they were recorded, pre or post 5:2 and is he still a 6:1 adherent himself? In the UK, they always say ‘Rpt’ next to a programme that has aired previously and I wish they’d do that here along with the year recorded. End whinge.

Hurray Merry – there’s no stopping you now. Good advice for Judyf about eating out too. Restaurants are a killer for me and I always examine the menus on-line and select what I’m having so I don’t impulse order.

Intesha, cheers to you. You have been amazing. Oh well, so you got chastised on the scales for the apple turnover and now you get to decide whether it was worth it.

I’m down to 59.9 today after salmon for dinner last – I always drop weight when eating fish. But from where does it originate? Who knows.

The best news for me today is that I went to a Coles in an unfamiliar area and found Slendier Angel Hair noodles. Yippee, bought 6 packets. For all the other varieties I use JustJulie’s konyaku but I really missed the Angel Hair as it’s hard to slice the konyaku that thinly.

Hi Everyone
    Merryme, thanks for such a great positive post and Thinatlast- I never thought to check out online menu before for choosing My meals. We do it for our daughter-in-law, who has many food allergies.
    Intesha-good on you not eating that chocolate. I couldn’t do it and now throw away chocolate before devouring it myself! Thinatlast i will have to get back onto the konjac noodles too!!
    Great result after my fast day yesterday and today I have been quite good- I did have homemade apricot slice for morning tea with friends tho. 🙂

Good evening,
    I’ve just got my granddaughter asleep. She isn’t the best sleeper, and so I am having her overnight to give my daughter a good nights sleep. ( my daughter was as bad when she was a baby, and so was her husband).
    She was really excited to come to grandmas, but just before bedtime she went to the door and said ‘car!’ Which I think was her way of saying she wanted to go home. Poor sweetie. But she went to sleep without crying.

Anyway! Time to chat!

Thin, I so agree about those science/medical shows that make it so entertaining they betray the science. Catalyst does it so much now that I rarely watch it, and I got irritated by Dr Mosley too.

So glad you had a great chat with the local 5:2ers!
    It is fascinating, all the different ways people make 5:2 work!

So glad you found your Slendier noodles!

The chocolate was so delicious, but it had better be a couple of months, at least, before I deserve any more 😋 Thankyou lovely people.

Intesha, how wonderful that you behave in such a civilised way around that Belgium chocolate!
    I hope your scales get back down under 70 quick sticks!

Hi Nik, so good to see you here. I agree with Thin that you should stay around! At least until you are back to 74kg. A good time to have some fellow travellers.

Judy, I am so glad it has been a good day, and a nice time with friends. Good luck working things out so you can make the most of socialising without getting the food thing messed up.

Best wishes everyone, I’m going early to bed as I am expecting an interrupted night.
    🌟💫🌛💫⭐️

I just looked at the episodes list and the first series of Trust me, I’m a Doctor went out January 2014, so made in 2013. The Fast Diet was published in 2013 first, so researched and written in 2011-2012. Some of it outlines the visits Mosley made as part of the Horizon programme, which is now on YouTube.

I don’t think anyone suggests that those small scale, short items on the programmes are scientific studies, but he is usually demonstrating studies that have been in scientific papers already. It’s journalism only but he focuses on serious science and I think selects the science well. There’s lots of duff stuff out there, even in the scientific community, but most of what he brings together is sound.

I’m pretty sure I’d not have found 5:2 without those programmes, though I did find something back in the 90s called The Two Day Diet ( not the same as the current one with that name). Wish I’d kept the book, I’d’ve liked to compare what was said.

Thanks for looking that up Apricot. There’s nothing new about fasting but I’m very grateful to Dr M. for making it all so easy and sustainable for us through 5:2. I know he’s a medical journalist and must move on to the next hot topic – I guess part of me just wants to know that he still believes in it himself.

I hope you had a good night Cinque and thoroughly enjoy the time with your granddaughter. Hopefully in the daylight hours. FD for me tomorrow.

Hi Everyone
    Have fun with your granddaughter Cinque. So nice of you to let mummy and daddy have a good night’s sleep! Goodluck with your FD today, thinatlast and anyone else fasting today.
    Yesterday was not a FD for me, but I did my other ‘diet’. Im allergic to garlic and there must have been some in the soup my friend made for lunch. I had ‘the runs’ (sorry if TMI ) when I got home. I was able to eat my dinner but this mornings weight was down by 400grams and tummy feeling too tender to have breakfast or even a coffee.
    Tonight my OH is cooking and we are having friends over. He’s doing a pork roast. I won’t have potato. Dessert is stewed fruit (home-made with our home grown apricots-no sugar) with a cake-like pudding on top. If I dont whip the cream Im not tempted to have it, so its just pouring cream tonight. I’ll only have one glass of wine- its a school night after all lol

Thanks Judy, I’m in a good frame of mind for my fast today. I didn’t really need to, but I’m doing it for drill. I follow the MC thread and notice that some of my gurus are returning to 5:2 after trying 6:1. Have a great day everyone especially those enjoying the day after the FD.

Hi folks, It’ll soon be time for my evening meal on the second fast day this week. I’m only two weeks into this new way of eating. Being a big fella I had an impressive loss last week. I’m also watching my portion sizes on the 5 days & making some better choices. Weigh in day tomorrow. Good luck. 🙂

Thinatlast, I did post on the MC last year but felt I couldn’t do 6:1 as I was putting weight back on and then when i put 3 kilos on I thought Id start here. I can see this will be a forever thing 🙂
    Hi Dan, good on you starting this way of life. Hope it all goes well for you. Goodluck with your weigh-in tomorrow but sounds like you are doing fine!!

Likewise Judy, I maintained for about 6 months on 6:1 and then the weight started creeping back on daily albeit in tiny increments. As soon as I hit my trigger weight, I resumed 5:2 and all was well.

Welcome Dan. Calling it a ‘new way of eating’ means you get it already. Well done. We’re here to help. What’s for dinner? I’m having Spanish Fideos with Slendier Angel Hair, 142 cals. You can find this and some of our other recipes here: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/southern-hemispherites-fd-recipes/ Let us know how you’re getting on.

It sounds as though you’re doing well, Dan! I’m just a little way ahead of you – just finished my 7th week of this new way of eating.
    I’m getting very satisfying results on the scales, and thought it was getting easier but yesterday was a real challenge! It was a colder day, and I was so hungry by dinner time that I really had to hold on to my determination. But managed it, and dinner ( Thai Red Curry of Vegies) went down a treat!
    Out for dinner with work mates tonight, so I’ll be trying to be extra vigilant about my choices, so as not to ruin yesterday’s hard work! 🙂

Good morning everyone, from cold, cloudy Melbourne. It is Thursday fast day for me today.
    I had a very interrupted night with my granddaughter (teething still!): isn’t it lucky they are so lovable. Although I guess there would only be excellent sleepers alive in the world if they weren’t!
    Tried to catch up last night but I was overtired. Today I will be more organised and do the things that help me, like not overdoing it and getting overtired!
    AND I will fast as well.

Dan and Arvee, cheers to you both.
    Arvee, that happened to me too! Just when I thought 5:2 was the easiest thing in the world I went through some really nasty gripey fast days, and so now I really appreciate it when it is an easy one, and think to myself “Oh dear, it is one of those” when it is a nasty one. Luckily it is just one day, and we can put up with most things when we know it is just the one day.

Judy, so sorry you had to suffer your ‘other’ diet. I hope you are okay now.

Sending out best wishes to everyone!

Viewing 50 posts - 8,251 through 8,300 (of 28,015 total)

You must be logged in to reply.