Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,910 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Cinque 1 hour, 40 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 8,151 through 8,200 (of 28,014 total)

• Evening All

Goodness me. I’ve just caught up with all you posts. I really don’t know where the last week has gone.

I will check my email after I’ve posted this Thin re coffee.

Welcome newbies.

Interesting read about carbs (which I am reducing) and daily weighing. I am a daily weigher but find it annoying at times when I haven’t budged after a fast day. Fasting today at 59.75 this morning. Annoying because I was in the 58’s last week.

Will check in tomorrow to see how other Monday fasters have gone.
    EA
    xxxx

Oh dear, I wish my trousers were falling around my knees. I have a bad case of hunger creep. I knew I was overeating the last few days my house was full, and thought I’d be back on track as soon as they left, but whether it is those leptins and things messaging my brain, or the sugar loving microbes in my gut, I am really struggling again. Back like I was when I began 5:2.
    So I am doing my old tricks, like making sure I wait three hours between eating, and doing all those mindfulness things, and hoping some good fast days will set me right again.

Hope you get back to the 58’s nice and quickly EA.
    Lovely to see your coffee date coming together!

It would be nice to do one for the Victorians sometime!

PS I completely forgot to say hi to you IFfan! That book sounds excellent, I will look out for it. I hope you had a lovely time gardening!

Bedtime!

Poor Cinque. I had a similar food setback a couple of weeks ago – but now we have the skills to know what to do. I know you’ll be fine. Take it easy. Scroll back and take a look at those Two English Gents that I gave the link for – gorgeous eye candy and they’ll put a smile on your face.

EA, hey, you’re back! Don’t despair, it’s because you don’t have much to lose that it’s a struggle to get the last kilo or so off. Those wretched carbs. Of course we need them for energy but we get so much carbohydrate from veggies that we just don’t need all those processed white carbs – rice, pasta, bread, etc. I resisted this idea for a very long time but it really made a difference when I stopped.

VDU, I’ve asked JJ the site manager to forward my email address to you as I think it will take a bit of working out to organise the coffee venue given that we’re all in different towns. EA, I really hope you can join us, especially as CharliesMum (who’s not posting right now) will come along. CM lives in Freo and is free on Saturday morning but it would need to be quite early as she has another appt. late morning. MissMelsy, are you up for this? Once we get it sorted out behind the scenes, I will post the time and venue so any Perth lurkers can join us.

Thin, that all sounds great – thanks for that. I don’t have much time to write now (off to Bunbury to do a couple of things, including having a look at workout gear in Target. I’ve got some lovely Lorna Jane stuff, but that stuffs is expensive, so going to see what Target has got!).

Re Saturday, will definitely liaise with you once I have your email address, but just to say now quickly I won’t be able to get up to Freo/South Perth way, or wherever on that continuum we decide on, until about 11 am, which may be too late for CM, although maybe I’d catch her at the end of the coffee? Anyway, just saying coming from DB (and not being an early riser), 11 am is when I envisage, if that suits! Will write more later when I return….

Hi Southern Hemis-faeries as someone once put it. Have been away where the starchy carbs live, ended up not taking my travel scales. Usually when I do this my true ‘after’ weight appears on the 2nd morning after I’m home. So will see any damage on Thursday’s naked a.m. weigh.

Waving to the newbies WWWWWWW Welcome!

My travel scales went to Turkey and European river cruise last year, and they got passed around the boat to few cabins! Mine are yellow and weigh about 550gms, I had to do a couple of lessons of standing-on-the-travel-scales-technique.

Am going to Melbourne soon. Anyone up for a coffee meet? Cinque, I can come to you or near you, if you’d like to do coffee.

Must go,
    Merry

Thin, thankyou, you are right. Today has been easier than yesterday, I’m hoping tomorrow is another good step, and then Thursday is fast day.

Merry it would be lovely to meet up for coffee! I’m in Fairfield, and I do have a car.

I’ve done shopping and then cooking today, so I am just about to sit down with a plate of bean stew and watch Poirot!

PS I love being a Southern Hemis fairy!

Best wishes all!

Hi All
    My Monday fast went really well and its so much easier not eating til very late afternoon. Ill look into getting travel scales. We are going to Europe for 6 weeks. We are landing in Venice and then going to Slovenia to pick up motorbikes- 2 couples and a single is coming for the motorbike part. I go on the back. We have bikes for 2 weeks and plan to ride in the Dolomites and Dalmatian coast but we dont make a lot of plans before hand. We will probably spend some time in Austria and after returning the bikes we will spend some time in Croatia and wherever we fancy but we do hope to finish off with a cruise in the Greek Islands. I’m not too far out of Melbourne and can maybe catch up on a day I’m not working πŸ™‚

Hi Everyone
    Well, I just managed another back to back 2 days of fasting ( my 3rd week) and it’s definitely getting easier. I’m understanding the messages my body is giving me, and know that those hunger pangs will pass…AND that I’ll survive them!
    I had a huge challenge yesterday morning, though – a breakfast meeting! Ouch! So, I had a poached egg and mushrooms for brekkie at home to make sure that I wasn’t starting off hungry. Then just ordered a skinny latte at the cafe, and watched while my breakfast partner polished off a huge plate of potato fritters, egg and avocado! I just kept sipping my coffee, and concentrating on the work we were discussing…and survived that, too. Luckily, she was too full to want lunch, so I heated up the Black Bean Chilli I’d brought with me, and thoroughly enjoyed every mouthful.
    As to the results of the last 3 weeks, I feel great, have more energy, and have lost 1.6kgs. So I’m very happy! And I’ve proved to myself that I CAN stop the comfort eating.
    I’m really enjoying brekkie this morning, though! πŸ™‚

Wow, very impressive Arvee! Well done for staying strong. And it’s all paying off for you. When’s that significant birthday you mention on your profile? Do you plan to continue IF after you lose the 10kg?

Judyf, that sounds like a terrific adventure. If you want the link to the company from where I ordered my travel scales, let me know. Probably not a priority on a motorbike though. I’m excited to think about the three of you meeting up in the Melbourne environs (Merry & Cinque).

VDU, yes, 11ish sounds good.

I’m continuing with my Wednesday semi-fasts for a while – a sort of compromise where I allow myself 2x coffees with milk in the morning but adhere to the fast routine for the remainder of the day. Anyone else fasting today?

Yes, thinatlast, I’m follwing this for the health benefits as much as the weight loss. So, I definitely intend continuing with it. The birthday is about 4 months away, so I’m hoping to either have reached my goal, or to be close to it by then. Either way, I should be both a lot slimmer and a lot healthier!

Hello everyone,
    Judy, it would be lovely to meet you too!
    Do you have regular days that you don’t work? Let’s hope they coincide with Merry’s visit to Melbourne. Otherwise we will just have to have another coffee time!
    Anyone else that can get to Melbourne for a coffee?

It is Thursday Fast Day for me today. Woke up to a rain watered garden, which is a relief, although I don’t think we got much more than a sprinkle.

Arvee, isn’t it a treat getting to understand our body signals!
    Mind you, mine is still signalling me that I had a major stuff up! Hooray for fast day today.

This, cheers for your semi fasts.

Best wishes to everyone for a really good day today!

Hi everyone
    Thinatlast- a semi fast? Only 2 extra coffees? Sounds like a proper fast to me! Arvee, will you be having a big party for your birthday/weight loss?? Cinque I dont work Wednesday’s or Friday’s and every 2nd Tuesday. I do have my granddaughter on Fridays but could possibly change that. Weekends would depend on what plans we have but let me know what you guys arrange and I’ll see why I can do. I’m sure my garden is loving this rain too. I’m glad I mowed the lawns yesterday
    I’m fasting today too πŸ™‚

Hi, all – firstly, Thin, I did send an email to your address that was forwarded to me, ta, and will write a longer one later, but just letting you know so you know to check your inbox πŸ™‚ I’m glad 11 is okay for Saturday, yay. It will be lovely to meet you, and EA if you’re able to come (plus if anyone else crops up in the next couple of days). And it’s good to hear you’ve found some Victorian “playmates” to join you too, Cinque, that’s great. And sorry you’ve had a bit of a setback recently food/weight wise, but you’ve got the tools to get right back on the horse which it sounds like you’re doing admirably and I’m sure it will soon pay off.

My last fast day was Monday, which went well. I did indeed try the Slendier rice, and here’s my report, Thin (or anyone else that may be interested…).
    I’d also read they can be very chewy and smell disgusting. True enough it was smelly, but I rinsed it thoroughly and the smell went away, so that was no problem. Secondly, chewy: no, these weren’t at all. I tried a small bit with a small amount of my soup, and it was fine, so added them to the rest (only had half a packet, and haven’t attempted to keep the other half of the packet).

They had no taste really, which was good, as the taste of my soup was enough, and it certainly added bulk to the meal. I felt much, much fuller for having them and didn’t have the hungry feeling into the night that I normally have. I didn’t experience the really bad stomach probs that some people have, thank goodness, but nevertheless I did have a strong awareness of that root sitting heavy in my tummy which was slightly uncomfortable, though by the next day all things were “sorted” and I was fine. It really wasn’t bad, and I can see the efficacy in terms of being full, so may well have them again if I feel I need to do that in particular (if I’m going somewhere where I’m in danger of eating everything in sight from hunger and know there won’t be good options for me, for instance). But probably the heaviness in the stomach has put me off having them much, but do think they serve quite a good purpose in the 5:2 in moderation if your body can cope with it.

Talking of moderation, reading back over the posts I was reading, JudyF, you mentioning about alcohol and others talking about carbs. For myself, I still drink red wine (though not on fast days, for obvious reasons), but in moderation. I really do count the calories and figure a glass or two a couple of times a week seems to be okay for me. We’ve cut our alcohol consumption down a lot actually, on purpose. We weren’t at a worrying stage or anything, but just noticed how a bottle of wine shared together of an evening had become too much of a habit (pre my getting back into 5:2). With that awareness we’ve changed that significantly, and are happier for it. Things can just creep up on you, as in all things, of course. The occasional piece of cake can become a daily routine, etc, and that’s when you start to have problems. And re carbs, same again, I don’t shun them, although have hardly had any bread for 5 weeks, purely because my Ryvita (or Quinoa wraps) option is fewer calories and I’m really enjoying them. But on non-fast days I still eat rice, and sometimes potatoes.

After that last fast I had put on weight on the scales the next day, as I thought I may as that seems to be the pattern, but wasn’t bothered as knew all other indicators going well. Today is another FD for me, and I weighed myself again this morning and as I had predicted for myself (and hoped) that weight gain has now gone down again, plus some extra loss, on the scales and I’m now down to 75.4, so almost 5 kilos lost since beginning 5 weeks or so ago. I’m happy with that. I bought some lovely new jeans a couple of days back. I’m not at my goal weight yet, but I really needed some new ones for now.

Thanks for the links to that pole dancing, Thin. I’ve only seen the first one so far, but he was amazing! The way the men work on the pole in comparison to the women is very interesting. It’s kind of obvious, I suppose, but I really do enjoy seeing their strength moves. The women are really strong too, but clearly the men can do other things that women would struggle with, I’d think. And, yes, Cinque, my daughter is bursting with health, I’m happy to say πŸ™‚ She also eats very well too, though, but will still eat Tim Tams if she feels like it; has a good balance, I think. Thin, it’s really hard to do, isn’t it! I tried on my daughter’s pole that she had in her lounge and couldn’t even get off the floor… so much upper body strength develops as you go along, though.

I hope anyone else fasting today – Cinque, you are, aren’t you? – has a good and successful day.

VDU – just rushing in and back out again but have quickly read the part of your post where you say you have contacted me – could you just double check that it’s correct please as I haven’t received anything from you (no junk either).

If the answer’s yes, there must be a stuff up with site admin. so we’ll have to organise the meeting on these pages. Could you please confirm that you’re going through Mundaring before Duncraig and approximately where you anticipate being around 11am. If, on the other hand, you’re coming straight up the fwy to Duncraig, I can suggest somewhere in South Perth with quick and easy access off the fwy so it’ll be just like a ‘rest stop’ for you. BFN.

hi, Thin – yes, sent two emails to your Hotmail address – the one that’s a reference to your husband’s occupation obliquely – if that makes sense πŸ™‚ if you still can’t find an email from me, I’ll just post my email address on here and hope there’s no one lurking that would use it in any way! If I were able to post it and then delete the post that would be good, but I don’t know that that’s possible really.

VDU, that’s it – ending in hotmail.com and not ‘hotmail.com.au’. Not received strangely despite receiving other emails today. I wonder if that’s why I haven’t heard from EA. OK, so I’m here for a while now. How about you post your email address on your profile and, when I tell you I’ve seen it, you can simply edit your profile and remove it?

VDU – please ignore the above – just received the emails now! Thanks.

Great – was just about to post it here, but that’s better! Catch you later – off to the gym now πŸ™‚

My fast day wasn’t a total success. I’m blaming my OH who made Anzac biscuits last night while I was out. He has now gone away for the weekend and left some for me. I had been trying to resist them from the time I came home from work but caved in and had one. Oh well I’m not having anymore tonight. Hope your FDs went well VDU and Cinque.

Well done, that you kept it to one Judy! You can have more tomorrow!

My fast day went well, there are some bonuses in not having an OH it seems!

Hi Thin and Vego!

Good morning all. Thought I had better check in. My eyes are still giving me grief, two weeks after the event. Went back to the Dr and am now on cortisone tablets and eye cream. I can’t focus on reading for long without my eyes streaming and becoming very irritated.

I have been reading the posts and all the newbies, sorry I don’t mention you all by name, are all doing a great job at this WOL.

Cinque I too have fallen off the wagon to some degree. Still doing my two FDs but have to admit to finishing off my large Easter egg and tucking into some scones and a small custard tart. I find now that when I have something sweet I need a handful of salted peanuts. Weird isn’t it.

My weight this morning after FD yesterday was 70.3. I am struggling to get past the 69.3 I have seen or maybe I thought I did!!!!!!

Another hiccup to make me head for the bottle and something that’s not good for me. Last night I was alerted to hackers draining my debit card. I am due to go on holidays in about 10 days and that was my spending money. It is now going to takes ages to get it back and to get a replacement card. Being on a pension and bankrupt I don’t have any other cards.

Merry I know your woes were a lot bigger but it sure leaves a bad taste doesn’t it. We also have to catch up sometime.

Anyway keep up the good work everyone and it’s nice to hear some of you are able to meet up and put faces to the posts.

Oooh Intesha, how horrible that your eyes are taking so long to get back to normal. I hope the tablets and cream work well and quickly.
    And then hacked on top of that. Nasty. Nasty. And spoiling your plans!
    Don’t let them undermine you! Just be whatever you feel, and try not to get too drunk!

Best wishes to everyone. No more hacking!

*** Coffee meeting for Perth losers! ***

Sprolo Cafe, 138 Canning Hwy, South Perth, 11am tomorrow, Saturday. Please come and join us, don’t be shy! What have you got to lose? – come and tell us!

Morning Intesha, I feel for you. Hope your eyes are soon better. Terrible news about the hackers – how does it happen? Merry will be able to empathise with you. Don’t cave in to those creeps – you’re better equipped to deal with these things when you feel good about yourself so stay strong. You know how badly you wanted that 69 number so don’t let them win. We’re all here supporting you.

Judyf, the smell of warm biscuits would have been a temptation indeed. I remember that feeling of focussing on that one item that’s tempting you. You can’t stop thinking about it so you just eat it to get it out of the way. You just have to try and think, ‘it will still be there tomorrow’.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Another cool, grey Melbourne morning (nearly noon! eep!). Cuban black bean soup coming to pressure on the stove. Cup of tea at my side. Getting into gear to attack my list of things to do.
    I hope your day is a good one, fasting, or non fasting!

I’ve had a lazy morning too Cinque. NF day fro me and I’m going out to dinner with some girlfriends πŸ¨πŸ·πŸ˜„
    Hope you WAers have fun catching up together!

Sunny this morning! A beautiful time of year in this part of the Southern Hemisphere!
    Cuban Black Bean Soup was a failure. It seems I don’t like ham hocks. Didn’t get into gear yesterday either. Hope I do today! I think I might, I have a bit more oomph.
    Best wishes to you all! I hope the Black Swans had a lovely coffee together.
    I’m fasting, are you too Thin?
    Best wishes to everyone, fast day or normal day!

Hi Cinque, yes FD for me. We’re having Teriyaki Orange Fish Fillets for dinner, 112 cals. Just wondering what I could have with that without putting too much effort into calorie counting (i.e. not salad). Maybe a portion of steamed green beans would be easy to calculate. Suggestions welcome.

The Black Swans had a marathon coffee session at Sprolo. They make a very good cup of coffee. It was great to meet VDU, looking fit and youthful and to catch up with the lovely FreyaT, who’s still fasting several times a week but no longer posting here. Very enjoyable thanks ladies.

Hope you get back in the groove today Cinque.

Hi Sunday Fasters and evryone,

Fast Day for me tomorrow, and planning basa and calamari soup with low carrot, broccoli, and cauliflower..

Sorry not to get back to you yet about coffee in Melbourne. I’ll be based in South Yarra, and at this point Sunday or Monday looking the most possible for me. Probably the Monday might be better Will be back later tonight with more info. I’m remembering we can ask the moderator to pass on our email address?
    Merry

Did you have green beans Thin? I think they would have been wonderful with it!

I stuck to my miso soup, and it was a delicious one. It was a good fast day, and I think I feel back to my new normal, foodwise, but still struggling a bit with CFS symptoms. However I did get things done yesterday. Hooray! Now all I have to do is the accountability report for the grant I got last year. It is suddenly urgent. Wish me luck!

So glad you had a wonderful yack over coffee all you lovely black swans!

Best wishes for your fast day Merry! You can email me on joyyamdaisy@gmailcom, (with a . between the gmail and the com!) and Judy, and any one else who might be able to make coffee, email me too! Make sure you tell me who you are! I could get to South Yarra Merry, I’d love to as I lived there a long time ago. Maybe we could meet in the cafe in the Botanic Gardens. I can just walk that far! Especially if you can manage a parking space for me near gate B! πŸ˜‰

What a glorious day it is! Best wishes to everyone!

Good afternoon
    Well done to you Sunday fasters! Today is my weigh-in day and I’ve lost 600 grams for the week. I’m pleased – slowly but surely. I did socialise the last 2 nights with dessert and 2/3 wines both nights. πŸ˜„ . Today is a fast day for me, should be easier with me home all day on my own.

Steamed green beans Cinque – surprised to discover from MyFitnessPal that they’re only 30 cals per cup. As DD is away on another farm prac, OH and I shared all the fish (serves 4) which still only made it 224 cals for two serves each. Sounds greedy doesn’t it, but it left me well below my allowance even with the beans and earlier soup.

I hope you Victorians can meet. If it’s OK with you Cinque, I’d like to jot down your email address too just so we don’t lose contact in future.

Glad you had fun with your girlfriends Judy. Well done with your steady loss. All the best with your FD today, Merry too, and cheers to all the other Monday fasters and feasters.

Hi Thin, is it true that you are due some HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY WISHES today! Cheers to you!
    Yes, do keep my email!

Thanks Cinque – it was last week and how could you have known that? Apart from turning 60, my family managed to make it a fun day for me, balloons, candles, flowers and a lovely drive out to the Swan Valley for lunch stopping in at the Margaret River chocolate factory on the way home. Some friends sent me a card with a music CD of hits from 1956 so we had a good laugh on the drive trying to sing along to songs that presumably my parents would have enjoyed back when they were swinging lovers!

Thin, very belated happy birthday. Another milestone reached. Sounds like it was a good day.

My eyes are much better, still a little irritation but manageable. No news on the hacking.

FD for me today, weight this morning 70.1 oh well at least it is consistent and I can’t be truthful and say I haven’t had my indulgences but I’m going easy on myself now. I never imagined being this weight again in my lifetime so that is an achievement. I feel and look good so that is a success in its self.

Yes I could probably lose another 5-10 kgs and if that happens who hoo, I will still do my twoFD’s a week and be mindful but I’m not going to let it control my life.

Have a good day all my fellow 5:2s

Crisp morning, big cup of tea, cat on my knee.

Oo that is the milestone I will see next year Thin! It sounds like a great day! Best wishes for the year, and the decade, ahead!

Judy I hope you had a good fast day! I find quiet days at home the best. If I get lots of hunger pangs I find something to distract me, and I don’t have to worry about anyone else.

Intesha I hope you have a lovely fast day today. So glad your eyes are almost back to normal. It has taken so long! And Oh dear, I bet the hacking resolution will be frustratingly slow.
    I like your sensible attitude for 5:2, we need to make it sustainable, a part of life, not controlling our life!

Good day everyone!

Judyf – I’d love to catch up with you! Monday works best for me. Just went back and read you don’t work Wed or Fridays. Tues is out for me. Wed’s are our travel days. Will have to recheck with family members re Friday. I’ll get the moderator to send you my email address. Your trip sounds amazing! Well done on your 5:2 progress. Slowly but surely 5:2 works and it feels like we’ve found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!

Arvee- well done on your progress so far too! Wow, back2backfasts! Well done. I’ve known there were people who did it this way, but I’ve only come close a couple of times by accident, and forgetting to eat till about 3pm. Somehow after a FD, and like lots of others, I just don’t feel very hungry after a FD.

Intesha- So sorry to hear about your eyes. It seems to be taking a while to heal, but it’s good to hear that they are steadily healing. Commiserations to you re the bank account hacking too. We live in an era, now, where we have to learn new ways to protect ourselves, our bank accounts, and our identity. We have now heard of more people roundabout where we live having mail stolen. It’s been particularly bad for someone a block away who was an older person without internet access on his bank accounts. The criminals were able to establish internet access in his name, by doing it over the internet using information on documents stolen from his letterbox. They drained his bank accounts of $60,000. We are continuing to have accounts opened in my husband’s name using the renewed drivers’ licence they stole from our letterbox. These are debit/savings accounts they then use to launder substantial amounts of money through. most of the criminals’ action is done online, and they are quite brazen, continuing to act even though they have been arrested once already and know the police know it’s them. For the newbies, please be aware of what’s happening with your accounts and your mailbox. Drug addicts, particularly ice addicts, take mail without distorting the letterbox door, and onsell it to criminals.

Intesha, I hope this is worked out for you and your funds returned! Re 5:2, I too, have been marking time while all of the scenarios we gone through in the last months have progressed. It is a wonderful thing to be able to stay stable while L life challenges are happening. Well done even though that elusive 400gms have not permanently gone yet. You will get back under that 70.3. You know you can do this now, and done it beautifully. I agree it is a joy amongst the crappy stuff that we’re doing it at a normal weight, looking normal. It’s such a relief!

Thin – A very Happy Birthday for last week!!!

Will catch up with other’s posts soon πŸ™‚

Had soup on my FD last night with mushrooms, cauliflower, calamari (cos it’s so low cal!,) and cut up dried seaweed sheets(nori) in a white miso base. I wonder if it’s the saltiness that makes miso soup such a good FD dinner. A little fruit and plain yoghurt and sugar free jelly as well. And being Anzac day, an Anzac bikkie in there too. That felt weird on a FD.

Onwards and downwards!
    Merry

That’s it, Merryme! That’s exactly how it works for me. I’m not very hungry on the day after a fast, so I actually find it reasonably simple to just keep fasting, and continue for the second day. I’ve just finished my second fast day for the week. Mondays and Tuesdays work well for me, because now I feel as if I can relax and not have to think about it again until next week. And I’m finding that I don’t want to overeat on the other days. It’s as if the fasting has reset my appetite. Now I just have to hope that it lasts! But that’s 4 weeks now, and this has been the “easiest” fast so far.

I love love this WOL. It is so,forgiving if you keep to the basics. I no longer dread FDs or feel deprived.

After FD yesterday, drum roll……68.4. So what happened? Who knows. After hovering around the 70 mark since February my body has probably realigned itself and is now hopefully back into the fat burning mode. If I had of been in the house on my own I probably would have been running around like an idiot punching the air. Tomorrow might be a different story but today wow I am so proud of myself.

It can be done all you newbies who might have your doubts but it is all about perseverance even when the going get toughs, isn’t that right a Thin, Cinque, Merry πŸ˜€πŸ‘πŸΎπŸ’

Woohoo! Well done, Intesha! That achievement must feel so good. It’s also great inspiration for the rest of us – especially when we get on the scales and they haven’t moved. It just proves that it’s as much about perseverance as anything.

Yippee Intesha, what a great result! You’re on your way to a new dress size methinks. Thanks for the birthday wishes Intesha and Merry. Anyone else fasting today?

Yes, Cinque, was indeed a very enjoyable meet up for coffee for us 3 black swans, thanks! Hopefully you’ll get your Victorian coffee happening and I hope you find it as enjoyable. I’m sorry to read you suffer from CFS. I know that’s such a tricky thing to deal with. You seem to handle it well from what I’ve read, in terms of spirit and non-grumpiness, and wonderful grandmothering (though I’m sure you have your moments, which would be totally understandable).

Thin, it was such a delight to meet you (and also good to meet Freya too, of course). You’re a walking testimony to how well the 5:2 can work, so svelte and healthy looking, and clearly have a fantastic grasp on it all and working it to your full advantage. I don’t know where those 2 and a half hours went really. We were lucky they weren’t the kind to hurry you out of the cafΓ©! I’m definitely up for another one. It was a highlight of the last couple of months for me, so many thanks for joining me πŸ™‚ (oh, and thanks for the kind words – your money is in the post, wink….)

I was very glad to read, Intesha, that you’ve had that win in the weight loss stakes. After the problems you’ve had of late, you were definitely due for some good news. That you and Merry (I gather?) have been subject to some kind of hacking is just awful. You definitely have to keep your wits about you and a vigilant eye out in life these days, that’s for sure, and the ice epidemic is an absolute curse, I know. My OH is a mental health nurse and has to deal with a lot of these people who are off their trolley having been brought in with paranoid type problems brought about by their addiction. The nurses are all totally sick of them, especially knowing they’re out in the community doing such dreadful things. Managing to keep yourselves on an even weight keel amidst all that that rubbish is wonderful.

I had a good FD on Monday (changing my day over this week due to family celebrations at the weekend). According to the scales hadn’t lost anything from the last weigh-in, but in the last few weeks I’ve found the loss has shown up just before my next FD (which is tomorrow), so will weigh myself tomorrow morning. Feeling on track anyway and enjoying “enjoying” my clothes better!!

Happy FD to anyone who is having one today!

Gosh, ‘the highlight of the last couple of months’ is a very nice thing to say VDU. But now readers will either be left wondering how they too can get an audience with Thin and Freya OR thinking that poor VDU must lead a rather dull life.

Seriously, very good to hear that you’re back safely and I hope your family celebrations were fun. DD ended up driving south with another student so I was relieved that they could share the driving and provide company for each other, thus eliminating one of the factors, fatigue.

Let us know when you’re heading back and we’ll tentatively plan to meet in Freo next time on a weekday. Good luck for the weigh-in tomorrow. Love reading your chatty posts, it’s as if you’re in the room – especially now I’ve met you!

Well, I guess both would apply, wondering how to gain an audience with the illustrious Thin and Freya may well be justified, and certainly I could say the latter is true, I don’t get out much, hehe πŸ™‚

I’m glad your fears re your baby have been somewhat allayed and all is well in the driving department.

I’ll definitely drop you a line re another meet up when I can work it all out. Thanks for the good wishes for tomorrow. Will let you know how it went!

Hi all,
    Asking for a little help – How do I contact the moderator? I can’t seem to find any obvious way to do it.

Judyf- I’m only able to do Monday morning as a definite meetup coffee time, a very slight possibility of Sunday morning.

I’ve arrived in Melbourne, staying with one of my children, and Cinque and I will definitely be meeting up. Sounds like our WA contingent had a great time at theirs!

FD for me tomorrow, and it will include some shopping for something special for my daughter, and I’d love to have a walk around Sth Yarra, where there seem to be some lovely older buildings, and the Botanical Gardens aren’t far away apparently. We had no idea what this suburb is like. You can tell I don’t know Melbourne at all well, lol.

Friday is a family birthday celebration, and a nonFD, and thanks to this amazing WOL or WOE (way of life or way of eating) I can have birthday cake, a special meal etc and still keep on track! That, I never expected before I started 5:2, but I’ve never felt deprived on 5:2. I had those fears of not being able to do Fasting on FDs, and it was wierd for the first FD or 2, then tedious with more calorie counting for the next couple, then something clicked in and it was easy. I love, and I mean love, this way of life!

For those of you who are newbies, Cinque and I have both done 5:2 while being unable to exercise to use up any calories to supplement the Fasting Days and staying under TDEE for the nonFasting Days. Our weight normalisation has all been done by using the 5:2 way of eating, and it’s worked. I weigh daily, and record Monday’s weight, Cinque doesn’t weigh but goes by clothes ‘feel’. My frig is emptier, my food bills have gone down, so this WOL also doesn’t cost you money it saves you money. Let me qualify that. You may spend some money, but it will be 1 book, maybe a 5:2 recipe book, maybe 1 dvd, but mostly it will be new clithes in smaller sizes, new underwear, new swimmers. You may buy brand new, recycled clothing or fish out those favourites you kept from smaller sizes as your weight was going up. One suggestion- if you have more than 1 size to lose don’t buy too many things in the mid sizes because you won’t be in then for too long, before they get too big, even with some alterations.

And just thinking, maybe we should hop around the world again and visit another country’s cuisine for FD and other 5:2 recipes and ingredients. So far we’ve been to Japan and Spain. Any suggestions?

FD tomorrow, wishing all the Thursday fasters a great FD,
    Onwards and Downwards from your 5:2 travel agent,
    Merry

Merry well said. You and Cinque with your health issues are an inspiration. Most people wouldn’t even attempt this WOL or give the excuse that it’s too hard. I also agree with the excercise bit. I have been going to the gym for 6 years and counting calories but excercise only tones your body it does not help you lose weight. I have now been doing the 5:2 for 64 weeks and lost 19kgs. I did not lose a fraction of that with excercise.

Yes maybe it might take longer without and excercise is definitely beneficial but it is not the be all and end all. So for anyone who doesn’t excercise don’t beat yourself up about it. This WOL is very forgiving.

At the gym yesterday one of the ladies came up to me and said “you’ve lost more weight”. Last night my beautician was blown away by my weight loss she even went and got her husband and said look at her. He said what’s the mans name and when is the wedding!!!!!!!! I wish. They also said I looked about 30. So for someone who is nearly pushing 66 what a huge boost to my ego.

This WOL has given me a new lease on life and as Merry says it really costs nothing. For me who was an avid clothes shopper I have thrown away thousands of dollars worth of new and used clothes. At one time I was in over size 22 and now buy size 12 and can squeeze into a 10. My grocery bill is also lower but I don’t have a family to cater for. I am now spending money on me, taking a few mini breaks and feeling a lot more confident.

FD today 68.3.

Merry and I hope to catch up sometime in the next few months and I look forward to meeting another 5:2 er just like our WA sisters.

πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ’

Great reads ladies. You’ve both done so well especially in the face of your respective difficulties. Intesha, you must be so motivated to keep going now after all those compliments. And I hope you do find a nice companion even if you aren’t necessarily looking.

Completely agree with all your sentiments, Merry and Intesha. I was so happy to get into size 14 and bought too many new clothes that I barely got a chance to wear. Yesterday, while out walking 10kms with OH, we stopped in the city and I found a pair of GRAB jeans 75% off at Myer. It’s possibly a design that’s slightly too clingy for a woman my age but felt so comfy and lured by the $15 price and the size 10 tag, I just had to have them. Without underwear, they look great! Never in my wildest dreams did I think I’d be a size 10 when I started 5:2. I wish we could organise a clothes bank to hand down our ‘outgrown’ (what’s the opposite of that?) clothes to other 5:2ers.

Exercise has been shown to be effective in maintaining weight loss but virtually ineffective in losing weight. It took me decades of expensive gym memberships to realise that. They’re good for body building, toning, socialising and improving fitness. Of course, exercising is better than sitting on the couch and we all need to move more.

Merry, go to the very bottom of this page to ‘contact us’. You’ll find a form and also the email addresses. To contact JJ, the site admin person, choose the tech@ option. I’m curious how you’ve made contact with Cinque to arrange the coffee though? I hope you all have a fabulous chin wag. Now that we all only have one chin to wag.

Good morning all,

Thanks for the instructions Thin:-). I looked everywhere up above rhe pages, and tried all the different sections of the forum, but didn’t think of the simple ‘looking at the bottom of the page’ thing. So easy, duh, lol. No mystery, Cinque put her email address in a post up above.

Reading a bit this morning about the founder of Chobani yoghurt, a yoghurt I discovered a few months ago. It’s ‘real’ yoghurt, with extra whey strained out, lower in calories and tastes good too. If you go to the Chobani webpage they show not only products but recipes that give nutrition information as well including cals, gms of fat, sugar etc.

Must go,
    Merry

I shouldn’t post before I’ve had that second coffee Merry – realised that Cinque had given us her email address when it was too late to amend my post. So the ‘duh’ is all mine.

Hi everyone
    Merryme, thanks for trying to include me in your meet up with Cinque but I won’t be able to make it. πŸ˜₯ For those who like Chobani yogurt and work, that company will deliver free samples of Chobani yogurt to work places. We got a heap at work last year. I guess check their website ( I wasn’t the one who organised it) I did a good fast on Monday but Tuesday I was so hungry and didnt make the best of choices. I had my granddaughter here today so changed my 2nd fast to tomorrow. Good luck to all fasting today!

Viewing 50 posts - 8,151 through 8,200 (of 28,014 total)

You must be logged in to reply.