Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,912 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Intesha 1 day, 1 hour ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 5,451 through 5,500 (of 28,016 total)

• Hi again
    Just reading dr fungs blog- how interesting- how many of us have been have been set up to fail by being told to just reduce calories- science catching up to personal experience. Fortunately my nutritionist told me years ago that if women are calorie controlling they have to keep eating less and less every year to maintain weight- thank heavens for the biological effects of IF. You will all notice over time that I like to keep researching- it is one of my motivational tools!

Hi AC

Congrats on your huge weight loss. And thanks for posting the research about continuous calorie restriction leading to the need for even more restrictions. Yay for IF and its benefits.

Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚

Good morning Sthn Hites (I tried an even shorter name that when I looked at the screen saw was unprintable!)
    I had results from blood tests yesterday that made me feel very hopeful … It’s true you can eat a high fat diet and have excellent cholesterol markers. I was over the moon! Blood sugar inching slowly downward. Jason Fung says he gets people off diabetes medications with intensive fasting in around 12 months. That’s my aim! Mind you I have been thoroughly convinced by research presented by the LCHF fraternity of doctors that showed WHO research from 192 countries that higher cholesterol equalled hugely lower risk of heart attack and coronary vascular disease. Males and even more so in females. You can eat butter!

I’ve been a tad stressed in the past weeks at work so have taken Fridays on leave for the next four weeks. It’s like a double bonus of a short week to get through and a long weekend to luxuriate in! Did I write about walking in bold park earlier … See I do need the break! … Anyway it has a wonderful 6kms hilly walking trail and I shall be on it tomorrow morning but waiting till its warmed up here to at least 10 degrees. We in perth don’t ever really get used to such low temps. I did work in Canberra for a few years though. That’s when I had Freya the red border collie X. She used to fly back and forward Canberra to perth with me a couple of times a year then. anyway, Canberra is a good place for lovely dog walks too. So happy to be back home though … Ciao for now and have an easy slide into the end of the week, my fellow FDs.

AC – it is black tea that I drink, but I think I’m safe: http://theteamaestro.blogspot.co.nz/2012/03/does-drinking-tea-produce-diuretic.html

Hi all
    Hilary that sounds good to me.
    Well done Freya on your bloods.

Hi All. Everyone sounds like they’re doing so well. Interesting reading. Dreading weigh-in tomorrow – cold weather motivation issues!
    Freya, congrats on your bloods! I’ve never heard of Bold Park. Just checked it out though and will try it soon with my mutt. Might run into you there one day. Yay for butter. I have always eaten it & never have been able to stomach margarine. How about red wine & dark chocolate too! Believe they’re good for us as well.
    Thin, where are ya? CM xx

Hi Freya
    It took Mr P a year on 5:2 to get to healthy goal weight and slightly longer to get off all insulin and Metformin. Dr Fung is absolutely correct.
    When my son lived in the Perth hills we used to go down to Freo to warm up in winter. They often got zero up there.
    I’m in the Snowy region of NSW today. 5 deg this morning and all rugged up in a ski jacket. Hard not to eat too much in this cold. P πŸ™

Hi all, I’m still here CM. Been busy preparing for that community ‘issue’ I told you about & then quite a few neighbours were round for drinks last night. Switched my FD for today so I could have a glass of wine with them and have never been so happy to see a FD as today. The chips, dips, etc were no temptation and I happily left them to everyone else all evening. Then, late into the evening I found myself idly picking at food with the stragglers without thinking. I haven’t eaten salty chips, crackers, dips, nuts etc for so long as I never buy that stuff any more. Felt positively ill by the time I went to bed (sans dinner) and woke with a huge headache in the night (only two glasses of red so pretty sure it was the ‘food’ not the wine). Learned my lesson with that horrid stuff – I think my body just completely rejected all that salt and fat after not having had it for so long.

It’s 4pm and all I’ve had is 30gms steel cut oats (it was a cold start to the day as you’ve heard). Really enjoying purging myself of all that rubbish. Interestingly, I’ve been the same weight for 3 consecutive days, that’s never happened before.

I have been reading all your interesting posts. Are we getting any closer to a meeting date Perth losers?

Thanks for the thread Alimax. Mondays & Thursdays seem to be popular days for the fast, any tips on staving off the cravings? Vegemite on crackers haha?

Oh, I’m a happy camper! We have had the coldest week -4 and -6 on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings, but we have still managed to fast on Monday and yesterday, and this morning shows 66.7 kgs! That’s 0.8 this week with my official weigh in day tomorrow. 13.8 kgs in 21 weeks.

It will be interesting to see what damage our Aussie holiday does. At least I know that it can be rectified again.

Welcome Positive, what is it you are really craving?

Hi Positive, Drink lots of water. Have some miso if you feel craving. It could be salt. Keep busy and away from the kitchen or cafe. Walk everywhere. Drink lots of water. Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚

Hoot – Love the β€œwiseones” label for our successful 5:2er who have reached goal and maintained it.

That’s great news Hillary! Well done. Far out – that’s COLD weather!

Plus a warm welcome to Positive. Listen to our long-term “Wiseones”, Purple, Bay, Thin for all sorts of great tips on how to succeed. Our other health gurus & AC (the constant researcher!) have lots of great info too. Oh, and we don’t always talk 5:2!! Please post regularly, we really are interested in your progress. Good luck and stick with it, this WOL really works.

Intesha – Where are you??

I hear ya Thin. Sounds like you put your body into shock, with all those now-unfamiliar β€œtreats”. Wish I’d been the same weight for the last 3 days!

Happy (well, almost) to say that I’m back to the same weight as last Friday! It’s been a roller coaster week for me. Who was asking about fluctuations?? I was up 1.2kg after a weekend of average eating & a dreadful FD .…..those damn carbs did me in again! This cold weather is making it tough. Constant reminders from OH, who is dreaming of all those hearty warming things that we used to have with polenta, mash, etc. Salads just don’t have the same appeal, so will try more soups this week.

EA, Thin & Freya – Anyone free for a coffee next week (Sat??) EA as you have a toddler to manage, it’s your call. What would be a convenient area for you to reach? CM xx

Hi CM, I’m here. The forum is so busy I can’t keep up, so I just keep quiet. Have done 3 FD’s this week and put on 400grams durrrrrrr, this WOL is crazy.

Hilary what a wonderful result, I am into my 21st week and have only lost just over 8kg.

Merry, when you work out a day email me, nilemiriam@gmail.com.

Thin your body will tell you when it’s at its ideal weight, so don’t push it. Isn’t it funny that we now have good hangovers and not alcohol!!!

Me too, Intesha, keeping quiet, that is. πŸ™‚ . However, I just have to announce that my latest grandson was born in Sydney yesterday, mother and son well, they have just got home from hospital (whatever happened to letting mothers stay for a week and get feeding established, have a rest before the broken nights and all?)

I hate to think what your short version of SH would have been Freya. Congrats on the blood results. Taking Fridays off is great – that’s been my routine for the last couple of years, but it’s been so hectic recently with one co-worker leaving without notice, and changing software systems, that I have been giving a few back – gives me time up my sleeve for future trips to Sydney!

CM, Red wine, chocolate and butter – three essential food groups. We have gone back to butter, and full cream milk – no more lites in our household. πŸ™‚

Good luck to the Highlanders and Hurricanes in the Super rugby tomorrow (sorry Aussies – πŸ™‚ πŸ˜‰ ). And well done the NZ women’s hockey team!

Keep warm and keep losing, all. I have to report a PB today, after regular fasting (and regular eating – love the life!)

Hang in there Intesha, you’ll prevail. CM, I’m available. If Freya and EA can’t make it this time, I’m happy to meet you on a weekday. Well done all losers.

HIA (or hoot), I posted a similar thing to you on the body image thing a few pages back. Can see that the waist on my pants is very small; realise they fit me; can’t translate that into me being slim.

Hi Barata, yes, I got behind with posts and then didn’t know where to start too! At least I can be the first to say congrats on the new little addition and your new PB. Great note to the end the week.

Oh Barata, congratulations on your exciting news! How lovely to have a new baby in the family.

I had a cuddle of a 5 day old a couple of days when I was doing some breastfeeding counselling. Wee babies are so special.

Yep! Good news all around, and a day off work as well. Night, all.

Thin that should have been food hangovers. I wish the auto correct would stop auto correcting.

I knew what you meant Intesha. πŸ˜†

Hi all
    Gorgeous morning- gosh you southern nzers can’t imagine living in that cold- I got severe whooping cough 6 years ago and since then my lungs hate cold dry air- luckily I live in the subtropics!
    Congratulations Hilary and Barata on PB’s and Barata on the baby- I so look forward to having a baby again one day!
    We had loads of fun .ast night- my youngest daughter impressed everyone at her first open mike night and asked to participate in a competition- she was just so great and so confident on stage. Her brother, 2 sisters and I were all more nervous than she was- I had to concentrate keep my blood pressure down- oh the wonders of being fragile.
    Charlie G if you are out there my OH and I were discussing on the way home the difficulty of feeling fragile- I wasn’t well enough to go out to dinner etc after however we talked about the importance of self acceptance and self compassion- I hope that doesn’t sound trite because it is very painful when you know you are not your robust self and very easy to believe that life will never be pain/symptom free again.
    I am off shopping and looking forward to watching my daughter recorded on the son in laws go pro!

Hope you get together in the West and have fun talking about all sorts of things and sharing stories. Purple and I had lunch yesterday in glorious sunshine. You chose the best day, P. Today it’s totally foggy and about 5 C. Barata, Hope to catch up with you next time you’re in Sydney to see the grandkids.

Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚

That’s great Bay and PVE. Heading down to Albany in a couple of weeks Purple, let me know if you happen to be visiting the rellies.

Pretty proud of myself this morning. OH wanted the big breakfast at our local cafe. I agreed to go but only after our walk. Asked him if he’d share a breakfast with me, of course not, silly question, he doesn’t do sharing. So, I had muesli. After he got halfway through the enormous, greasy fry-up, he offered me part of it. Lovely. I think it’s starting to dawn on him that a plate of food that size is sheer greed and he says ‘next time I’ll share’. (I think that’s what he said last time.) Anyway, I feel great and I don’t have to spend the day wracked with guilt and feeling bloated.

See how lucky you are PVE to have a like-minded OH?

Hey Barata. We missed you! So happy for you and your new baby grandson. Very exciting news. Are you heading over the ditch soon? Good news all round for you – congrats on the PB too. But you’ll just have to be happy with 2 out of 3…..go the Aussies in the super rugby! Yep, no lite stuff in this house either.

AC, sounds like you’ve got a bit of talent in that family of yours….and you’re sounding clucky too!

Intesha, that’s great & thank you very much, you’re ahead of me now…..you’ve just started to re-motivate me! Not that there’s any competition or anything!

Thin, LOL. Can just imagine OH getting possessive about his brekkie and then having to reluctantly admit he couldn’t manage it all! Ha! I think you got the best end of the bargain….no guilt.

Bay – we’ve got your nice weather today. Brilliant blue skies and clear. Glad you and Purple enjoyed your catch up.

Enjoy the weekend everyone. What’s for dinner???? CM xx

Porterhouse beef and ginger stir fry for us CM. How about you?

That sounds yummy Thin. I’m having roast chook & salad. OH has been out for lunch so he’s having some pea & ham soup. I’ve been home doing the housework!!

Yum … Beef and ginger stir fry! I’m having dinner with my group of school friends and their husbands tonight (well we’re all great friends after 45 years) !! I’m really looking forward to it except that it’s chinese takeaway. Aaaaggghhhh. Soup? Pork belly and vege with no sugary sauce? My fingers are crossed but I’m a bit worried about what it will do to my blood sugar readings. I’ll have to ensure I’m not too hungry and therefore greedy!
    I’ve got a birthday lunch next Saturday so can’t meet up with the perth girls then but am free on Friday if that suits others. If not then another time. I’m becoming too much in love with Friday’s off work …
    We’ve had a huge ‘once in 10 years’ swell off the WA coast this week and I saw lots of surfers out enjoying it as I walked along the path at Cottesloe this morning. Bright blue clear sky and ocean. Gorgeous!
    A lovely weekend to you all and looking forward to meeting you thin, charliesmum and EA soon!

Sorry, CM, one down and one to go in the rugby.

Glorious day in Wellington today, no rain in the forecast, so more time in the garden tomorrow.

We are planning a trip to Sydney in January to catch up with the whanau.

That sounds fun Freya. I’m like you, I have to psych myself up for these food events – did you manage to stick to small helpings or choose the lesser of the ‘evils’? And how many of those school chums did you convert to 5:2?

If we don’t hear from EA about Saturday, I’m also free on Friday and would love to meet you. The only snag is I don’t have a car on Fridays (3 of us share 2 cars) and public transport is the pits here so I’d have to ask you both to travel to South Perth – good choice of cafes though.

Bay and PVE – did you meet each other on the forum?

Anyone else fasting today?

Hi thin I did pretty well … Partly because friends were supportive and it became “Linda’s beef and ginger”!!(see how suggestive I am? I had it on the brain and there it was on the menu!!) two small glasses of wine a small serve of fruit salad (read lollies to me) with cream and didn’t have the baci chocolate!! Woke with very dry mouth (is that MSG?) and slightly elevated blood sugar but not horrendous. I did do the scarlet Ohara thing and ate a bit of smoked salmon before going so that I wasn’t starving. So took a bit of a whack but you have to be part of life even if it’s not strictly correct, don’t you?. I hope that as I’m closer to my goal weight – and I’ve got around 20kgs to go – my body will react less and I won’t need a coping strategy as such? It’s funny how easy it is to manage a ketogenic diet at home but how prevalent starch and sugar is everywhere and how hard it can be to avoid at this cheap and cheerful end of the food spectrum.
    I think I must be the only person in Perth to have missed seeing That Sugar Film. I’ve seen a trailer and it looks pretty interesting but I really wanted to see the bit with Stephen fry … I’ll have to hunt it down. All that sugar in ‘health food’ is scary.
    I’m very happy to come to South perth next Friday and will keep an eye out on messages for whether it’s on or not. I’m now on a FD Sunday. Cheerio to all.

Hi Thin

Yes, we met via the forum. It’s been fun getting to know someone else on the same journey. P and Mr P are the most amazing success stories for 5:2 and its health benefits. Inspiring!

Provided you have posted your real email address behind the scenes, when you joined the thread, then it is possible to ask JJ to send your email address with an invitation to correspond to another poster. Does that make sense?

AC, is your email address current? I tried to make contact via JJ when I was in Brisbane, and he asked me to confirm that your email address in your sign on info is correct.

Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚

Another lovely sunny day with glorious blue skies and crisp air. No breeze. Love these Winter days in Canberra when the sun shines. Planted lavender bushes and azaleas yesterday. Doing the washing today, and finalising bookings for the big trip.

Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚

Morning Bay, thanks for the info re: contacting people privately on the forum. That guy JJ must be a very accommodating fella. Maybe he’ll add a messaging feature at some point. You and PVE will always be my gurus and I thank you both for that.

Well done Freya, sounds like you had fun yet didn’t go OTT. Do you take your own bloods? That in itself would be reason enough for me not to over-indulge. Yes, I agree, you must have some food fun along the way, that’s why we’ve all chosen this fantastic WOL. Hope to see you this week……

Sorry πŸ˜† about our teams beating Canberra twice yesterday, Bay (Warriors and Hurricanes). Fab sports weekend, fab weather, and the days are getting longer! I have been spreading compost, and the cheekiest blackbird can’t wait for me to move away, so many tempting grubs and worms on offer. He’s busy on the fence now, keeping Mrs Blackbird in order!

Bet you’re not really sorry, Barata πŸ˜‰

Hope your Hurricanes win the overall comp.

Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚

Poor JJ. What have I started? πŸ˜†
    Thin, Bay and I catch up regularly. She is a great support to have and nice to discuss our journeys live, if you know what I mean. She always looks fabulous, 5:2 suits her. P

‘course I’m not sorry, Bay – and I hope so too. πŸ™‚ Town should be buzzing this Saturday.

Thin

I will happily return the compliment. Purple looks fab and this new way of life really suits her. She is a demon walker who looks very fit.

I am sitting in the sunshine polishing my halo from having completed various bits of housework and not eating at all so far today. Having some mineral water with a squeeze of lemon. What looxury πŸ˜‰

Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚

I read on another thread about members who’d ‘seen photos’ of one another and wondered how they could be doing this. It would be fun to put the ‘body’ to the name. I’d like see some new features on this website that would give standard info about users such as location, age, length of time contributing, weight loss, and with the option to upload ‘before and after’ photos and pvt msg. Then again, the element of mystery is quite good fun too.

I’m happily maintaining in the (high) 62s πŸ˜† Have a great day everyone.

Just join up for free to Photobucket (or another photo site) and then you simply copy and paste the link to your photo into your post. Photo will appear only on the fastdiet website, not in your email notification. suejen X

Hello all,
    Sorry CM, Thin and Freya – I have not had chance to log on recently so have been catching up with the messages. Was the catch-up for this Saturday? Can I let you know tomorrow after speaking to the hubby tonight please?

Freya, I haven’t seem the sugar film either but it comes out on dvd on the 1st July apparently so I will buy it. I am looking forward to seeing it.

Enjoy your fast today Bay. I am fasting as well today and so far have had one hot water with lemon and one black decaff coffee. No water yet so had better rectify that now. On tonights menu is chicken and veggies, yum yum. (It was going to be salad but I fancy something hot). After freezing on my fast day last Monday and feeling generally miserable, I made sure the fire had plenty of wood for my fast day on Thursday and again today and that helps a lot.

After losing my initial 4-5kgs in the first month (I haven’t written my measurements down so have not kept an accurate record), I seem to have stopped and even put on a bit (although still in the 68’s). I’m thinking maybe I need to start exercising more to ramp things up a bit? Although having said that, I am down from a 16 jeans to a 14 jeans. I think my problem is I just want to wake up one morning and have lost 10kgs! I just didn’t expect a plateau so quickly!

EA, I hear you that is my greatest wish but unfortunately it’s not going to happen. Thin and CM can tell you how I struggled with not losing the weight as quickly as I thought I should and I was going to the gym 4 times a week. It can be very depressing but the fact that you have dropped a size is the test of this WOL. I have now been doing it for nearly 4 months and thought I would be a real skinny Minnie by now but have only lost nearly 9kg (ONLY ha that is a major achievement).

So one thing I have learnt from the forum gurus is that it’s not a race it will happen but we all have different metabolisms and as long as we stick to the basics it will happen.

You’ve done really well in a short space of time.

Thanks Intesha; I needed to hear that as feeling a little deflated today. And well done on losing 9kg so far; that is amazing. Having this forum is such a blessing as I don’t feel like I am doing this alone.

Hi EA

It’s never too late to enjoy the pleasing results of intermittent fasting, if you record your measurements now. You have a long way to go, and you will lose more cm off each time you plateau, provided you stick with fasting. I look back at the graph of my weight and measurements on this website Fast Diet Tracker.

The record of the losses of cm around hips and waist were a terrific motivation to ignore the plateaus and just keep going. πŸ˜‰

Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚

Hi EA

You have done really well to have gone down one whole clothing size in such a short time. I found it fun and reinforcing to measure myself once a week. I only took measurements of my bust, waist and hips. In the end I am also delighted with my upper arms and the loss of fat from my back, shoulders and ribs. Over time I went from size 16 to size 11-12. Keep on keeping on!

Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚

Cheer up EA, you can have a super size hot chocolate when we meet! Yes, the original invitation from CM was to meet this Saturday so that you could get little one cared for & Freya wouldn’t be working. Since then Freya’s said she’s not available this Saturday but reminded us she has Fridays off for a while. We’re all free on Friday if you can make it but it would have to be in South Perth as I’m stranded. There’s a cafe on the foreshore where your toddler can play in a safe, enclosed playground with a cubby house and other play equipment.

Just to put things in perspective for you & Intesha, as someone who has lost over 20 kgs altogether now: with a couple of plateaus including a lengthy one over Christmas, it took me 8 months to lose 12 kgs of that weight between Aug-April. So, stop moaning you two, you are doing really well & I’m proud of you!

Since April, I’ve been losing weight at a snail’s pace and so I made the decision to declare that I am now in ‘maintenance’. Sticking with 5:2 is allowing me to enjoy the odd indulgence (restaurant meal, for example) while continuing to lose a fraction of weight here and there without having to keep answering questions on ‘how much weight have I lost now?’ every time I see someone. Today I’m 62.8kgs. I expect to be hovering around here for some time but if I lose another 2kgs, I’ll be thrilled.

Enjoy your chicken and veggies and think how proud you’ll feel tomorrow! Hope we can meet soon.

Thin, yes Mum, I will behave.

FD tomorrow then Thursday. Friday is my monthly official weigh and measure at the gym. Feeling really good and my clothes, especially my slacks are baggy and droopy. I put a pair on this morning and the bottoms were dragging on the ground. It took awhile for the penny to drop that the reason was because I had lost weight around my waist, stomach and hips.

lol, thanks Thin. And, yeah, you are right. It is nice the following day to wake up knowing I have fasted the day before. I look forward to your update on Friday Intesha.

Thanks Bay. You are also right. I really should write down my measurements. CM said to measure when I was a newbie and although I did, I relied on my memory to recall the numbers (oh dear!) I shall look into this Fast Track thingy.

Well I’ve just switched the oven on which means dinner for me in a couple of hours woo hoo. I even survived having to make a (cruel) family member a bacon sandwich at lunch time lol. Now if that isn’t love, I don’t know what is.

Thank you for the pep talks/kicks up the bottom. All the best. xxxx

That’s the spirit girls! πŸ˜†

Well said, Thin

EA, when you sign on to post to this thread, there is a square on top Right hand side that is labelled Fast Diet Tracker. If you touch it, you are taken to another screen where you can begin to add your data. It makes fancy graphs for you after you have enough data. Good luck!

Just finishing a 22 hour water and black coffee and tea fast and feeling fabulous. Had a bowl of homemade vegetable soup for dinner. I was getting too slack with my fasts, so decided to jolt my system with a long water fast day.

Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚

Woohoo, Intesha, the incredible shrinking woman. Bay πŸ™„ πŸ™„

Viewing 50 posts - 5,451 through 5,500 (of 28,016 total)

You must be logged in to reply.