Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,903 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Anzac65 6 hours, 48 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 5,501 through 5,550 (of 28,007 total)

• Hi All. Let’s not talk about the rugby, OK? Oh, alright then….except to say congrats to the Kiwis……again!

Sounds like Thin has been reading the riot act – heads down Intesha & EA!! Baggy droopy slacks sounds pretty good to me. If its any consolation my losses seem to have come to a screeching halt. I suspect it was the holiday/carb combo. Just have to get my butt into gear again. Bay, I think I’ll take a leaf out of your book, and try a “proper” fast to give my system a kick in the behind too.

Suejen – Thanks for the Photobucket tip. Will try that later. How are you doing anyway? Still in beautiful Margaret River?? Hear the waves were awesome down there this weekend.

Congratulations on reaching Maintenance Thin. You’ve been such a motivator for us all. Very happy for you. Avocado salad tonight for me. CM xx

Wow, you’re going well Bay. I don’t think I’m strong enough to attempt that. When you say you were getting too slack with your fasts, what were you (not) doing? Did you pick 22 hours for any reason over, say, 24 hours? And how will that affect what you do for the rest of the week? (just curious to know if I did that, could I skip the other fast?!)

Posts x’d CM and thank you. If you do Bay’s 22hr thing, I might give it a go too. I do try and last until 2pm before eating on a FD so that’s probably most of the way there. Glad you mentioned suejen’s as I’d missed that one. Who’s going first on Photobucket then?

We had a bit of a pact on the Maintenance thread today, Thin, as we all felt we had become a bit slack, doing 18/6 instead of true fasts. Today was the test of our resolve…a good way to prove we can still do it and to reset our appetites. Happy calls it “portion creep” when we start to slowly increase our portions due to not doing full fasts.
    Well done on your successful fast Bay. I made it to 24 hours before my soup as I had a phone call to distract me 😆 It is surprising how much easier it is to eat nothing (except water). Once you do eat, the trick is stopping! Plan carefully what you will have for “dinner”, serve it out, put everything else away and wash up afterwards. Then get busy again. Bay is famous for her shining house as she polishes it to within an inch of its life on fast days. I’ve even been known to iron to keep busy!!!!! P

Purple, I hear you and now I know it’s name – Portion Creep. That is exactly what has been happening to me over the last 2 weeks and I was starting to feel lousy about it. Makes a huge difference to know that you guys on maintenance still experience this sort of thing. Thank you for sharing.

Thin, I got so annoyed with myself that I even ditched my salad dinner tonight and had nothing. Just a lot of water and herbal tea. Starving now, but about to go to bed. I’m feeling better already knowing that I still have the willpower to say no. Going to have a go with photobucket. Nite all. CM xx

Good on you CM. 🙂
    It is almost harder on maintenance as there is not the initial euphoria or the positive feedback from the scales…just the steady understanding that you took control and won 😉
    Like the price of freedom…healthy bodies take constant vigilance. Enjoy your feed day….with restraint! P

Eeeeeeek, just realised its 5 not 4 months now since I started this WOL. Feeling a bit yuk now. FD today, 79.8 from 87.1. I know it’s still a loss but was hoping for more. Yes I can hear you all you are fixed permanently in my brain this is a WOL not a race.

And you’ve started mind reading too Intesha! See how 5:2 can change you in so many amazing ways. But you’re feeling better about yourself & doing great. Sounds pretty good to me. I had my “yuk week” last week

Thanks Purple, feeling better about it all today.
    CM xx

Well done CM. I’m glad you are feeling better today.

Intesha, I think we are on the same page lol. We started around the same time so maybe how we are feeling is normal. I just felt a bit fed up when the scales went up on my non fast days even though I haven’t ‘pigged out’. We have to keep that mantra in our heads and keep on keeping on.

Weighed myself this morning and very happy that I have moved into the 67’s (albeit 67.95 but hey) The size 14’s are feeling a bit looser as well.

Thanks again for the kick up the bum Thin and all yesterday. I really needed it.

All the best for everyone eating less today.

Don’t know if this will work, but here goes anyway! Here’s the Hairy One!

Nope that didn’t work….think I’ll investigate & try that again later.

Maybe you should try Thin!

That’s great news EA. Well done. BTW, I ALWAYS gain some weight back in between FDs and just assumed that would be the case for most people. What’s the experience of others? My weight loss chart has been very erratic. Good for you too Intesha, you’ve got the mindset now.

PVE & Bay – that’s an admirable effort. What do you mean by 18/6? (sorry if I’m being thick).

CM: I should try posting a photo or try fasting for 24hrs? Did skipping dinner have the desired effect on the scales this morning?

What about the coffee date EA? I asked JJ to give you and Freya my email address as Bay suggested. Either it takes a while to get that done or you guys don’t want to contact me, ha ha!

Thin as you know my weight loss has been all over the place so all I can put it down to is the bodies metabolism. Any other theories, age, excercise, winter????

3.30pm have only had a shake at 2pm (95 cals), otherwise nothing but herbal teas and black coffee.

CM, we won’t mention rugby if you don’t mention netball!! 😥

Well done, EA. As you have no doubt divined from the wise advice offered by others, not all of the loss is in weight, and even if the clothes are not getting loser there is fat disappearing from around the organs.

I go up and down with my weight, rigorously doing 5:2 but pretty relaxed on non-fast days. But I haven’t hit 60kg in the last three months, verrrry gradual decrease but not yet IN my wriggle-room of an arbitrary 56 – 58.

Hi everyone

WA-ites I’ve just put my email address at the top of my profile to make contacting me for a coffee a bit easier. I’m not sure if there’s some other way without it being completely open and out there!

Barata and Intesha I’m trying hard not to worry overly about weight loss because it is so slow but it is happening along with the health benefits that are ascribed by many to intermittent fasting. we have to hang onto that quite strongly, especially those of us who are a bit over the young and fabulous years!! I’m back into clothes I haven’t been able to wear for two years … I think weight that’s been hanging around for longer takes longer to get rid of. There are some days when portion creep is the only thing that keeps me sane – but agree that keeping a handle on it is essential. Work is utterly crap at the moment, tho’ I work with some lovely folks too. I’m finding it hard to make decisions and just want to be at home with a good book. One power ball, as they say … cheerio for now.

Hi Thin

18/6 or 22/2 or 19/5 or whatever refers to fasting for 18 or 19 or 22 hours and only eating in the small window of hours left in the day. For instance, fasting on water or coffee or tea for 22 hours, then only eating one meal. Then waiting until the next day before eating again. Lots of water required on this regime.

Maintenance people have been experimenting with a smaller eating window. I suspect that humans get bored with same old same old, and so we play mind games. To keep motivated. All of us have commented how it was easier to lose weight on 5:2 than to maintain the weight loss on a forever basis. 😉

As Purple says, it’s easy to have portion creep once you’ve reached goal weight, and sat there for a year. In my case, it is sugar creep rather than portion creep. If that makes sense. I really have to limit my sugar intake forever, if I wish to keep my weight loss. 😥

It feels fabulous to be slim and to wear flattering clothes. I keep reminding myself of the health benefits of fasting and cutting out sugar.

Cheers, Bay 🙂

No Thin, I was meaning the photo thing. I’m home now from the dentist with a totally left side of face. Looks like I have some seriously droopy muscular issues, and I’m dribbling too….it’s a very attractive look! I’ll give this photo thing another go.
    If you reeeally want to do the “BayPurple Fast” I’ll give it a go with you.
    Charlie Dog! photo Charlie 51_zpsuwevgwum.jpg

YAY IT WORKED!!! This is my beautiful Charlie, everyone. CM xx

Thanks guys.

Sorry, Thin. When I sent that message this morning I was in a rush to go out and forgot to mention the coffee catch up. I think I may have to give it a miss sadly and try again after the school holidays. I will check my email later to see if I have been sent your email address.

I found a charity shop today that sells jeans for $2. Very happy as I can now buy clothes for my in-between stages without spending a lot of money on clothes I do not want to fit for very long. That way, I will also have more money to spend on clothes when I get to my ideal size and then I can gladly donate the jeans back again! Win Win.

Aww CM, I just posted my message then your cute pup picutre popped up. Charlie is gorgeous.

Congrats on achieving pictures, CM, and a lovely family member. 🙂

Oh, does Charlie need an aunty? Pick me pick me! Pretty please! Yep, Charlie definitely needs an Aunty Merry!!!

Ok, day after FD, 72.6 this morning, ha ha ha…..100 gms over my next short term goal!

Have to laugh…this is the 2nd time I’ve hit this weight my PB. I’ve been 72.9 several times, 72.7 several times, back up over 73 several times, and round and round. It just amuses me that that extra 100 gms is sitting somewhere on me giggling away everytime it sneaks off to hide somewhere so I can’t get rid of it! Well, this plateau will come to an end sometime, and It’s Days Are Numbered! I’ve got rid of the grains, the sugar, the portion creep left over a bit from the NZ food enjoyment soooo long ago now, well 2 months. It’s just a matter of time and that 100 gms will run off and take some of it’s buddies with it . When the going gets tough the tough get going!

Gorgeous photo of Charlie. Well done CM. Next time I visit this page, I’m expecting to see lots of before and after bust/waist/hips shots of everyone! That’s one way to eat less CM – visit the dentist.

OK, EA, we’ll catch up with you later. You’re not off the hook though! Glad you found that op shop, I bought quite a lot of new clothes last year never expecting to lose this much weight and had to discard them right away. Not complaining of course but in the spare bedroom today, I found an entire shelf of perfectly good clothes I must have neatly folded them away years ago for ‘when I lose weight’ and completely forgot about them – tried on every single item and they’re all too large now.

Thanks for explaining Bay. So, this relates to FDs and if I manage to last until 2pm (having not eaten since 6pm the previous night), I’d already be on a 20/4 regime. Except that I would be cheating with my 22 cals of almond and coconut milk with my morning coffee. Oh dear, that leaves me on 13/11. Not so impressive.

Freya, sorry you’re not feeling happy at work. We’ll try and cheer you up. I copied down your email address if you want to remove it thx and will get in touch with you about Friday now.

Thin – congratulations! Way to go! Such an inspiration:-)

EA – you can do this. You are doing this, and isn’t changing sizes great!

Intesha- will email soon re meetup:-)

CM – this week I did a 20/4 day on Sunday, but more calories than a FD, then a FD Monday/ yesterday. I think it’s helped. I plan on doing it again a few times to see if it get’s me off my plateau.

Thanks to the wise ones for all your knowledge and encouragement!

Cheers,
    Merry

Merry, I can really relate to that recurring PB. There’s not much left for you to give up now!

Freya and Merry, we seem to be going around in circles with this weight loss but can only assume all the benefits are on the inside. Yes clothes are fitting better and sizes decreasing but the mind just can’t compute with that, it wants to see results on the scales. Funny beings aren’t we?

For me the big test is in my monthly weigh-ins at the gym. If I don’t see some movement in the BF, BMI and cm’s I will not be a happy camper.

Another FD over, we will see what tomorrow’s weigh-in will bring.

Aunty Merry, I’d love to be your new best friend and foot warmer. Love from Charlie Dog – woof lick!
    EA, sorry about Friday but I’ll meet you one day soon. I love going for coffee with Mum. Cx

Stick with it Merry, you will get to a new PB soon and probably before me!

Dream on, Thin. No thighs of mine are being posted anywhere….that is until I reach my ultimate goal of the “B word”. Not that I WANT to wear one, I would just like to be ABLE to wear one.

Good luck tomorrow Intesha at the gym. But regardless, just remember how your clothes feel now….loooooose!

Went shopping today and couldn’t find anything…..no shoes or clothes. Everything was very nanna’ish. Hopefully the summer gear will be better, otherwise I might go to Good Sammies! CM xx

Hi Merry, welcome back!

Charlie, you look lovely. My beautiful Border Collie X would love to meet you and says you would have such fun together !

How did your Mum post your picture?

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Hi Bay, we used PhotoBucket. I haven’t tried it with other photo sites yet. Once you register and have uploaded a picture, follow these instructions. Its fairly straightforward. Hope its easier than emojis!

– Click on (open) the picture which you want to use.
    – You will then see four elongated boxes on the hand right side named Email, Direct, HTML & IMG.
    – Point to the text in the HTML box and right mouse click – you will see it change to “copied”.
    – Then go to our Forum and start a post.
    – Right mouse click and “paste” it onto your post window. You will see lots of computer code appear – don’t panic!
    – Once you click “submit” it will (or should) show the image you’ve copied.

Please note that I have had a glass (or two) of red tonight, and hope these instructions are correct!! Thanks to GypsyGirl & Suegen on a sister thread for helping with this.
    CM xx

New PB 78kg. When I first started this WOL my initial goal was 75 and even that was a daunting task. Once I achieve that I will reset my goal to 70 which at the moment seems off the radar and I can’t remember the last time I was that weight. You are all such an inspiration and I want to be a winner!

CM weigh-in is Friday.

Gorgeous picture of Charlie, CM!
    Re 18:6. The theory is that the body needs regular “down” periods to heal itself. By doing a minimum of 18 hours with no food the cells have a chance to heal. The 6 is the eating window. It can be used as a mechanism for generally reducing food intake in total and doesn’t have to relate to fast days.
    As Bay says, one of the many varients we bored humans try!
    It doesn’t replace fasting and will not help to lose weight quickly, although it is a good habit to overcome eating breakfast. Only true twice weekly, strict fasting and very mindful nonfast days will bring about significant total weightloss.
    Your weight should fluctuate within a 2-3 kg range over any week. This is not weight gain, as such, more related to “food in transit”. That’s why daily weighing and recording the lowest in the week is the most heartwarming. And yes, 67.9 is counted as 67s 😉
    Even though this is a wol, the stricter you are getting to goal, the faster you achieve it and the more successfully you change your attitude to food type and quantity. Nothing like quick losses to give positive feedback. If we hadn’t achieved 1kg a week initially, I doubt we would have kept going and lost 30kg in the year.
    Be tough on yourselves, short term, and you reap the benefits for life.
    (Steps down from the pulpit) P:)

Hurray for Intesha! Fantastic news. Your gym buddies will be proud tomorrow.

Completely agree PVE. We can enjoy a great kick start to weight loss initially just by strictly adhering to 500/600 cals on fast days. Enjoying what we’re used to eating on feast days is what makes this unlike any old ‘diet’. As we lose more weight, we have to start paying greater attention to feast day intake. And finally, while eating so much less, it is possible to isolate exactly which foods have what effects on our unique bodies which enables us to reduce or eliminate certain foods. And running in the background comes learning to eat smaller portions and less desire for unhealthy food. Brilliant!

*sorry Intesha, I meant Friday.

Happy day for me today. New PB 62.3kgs (lost half a kilo just by declaring I’m at ‘maintenance’). Plus it’s a FD so might be even better at weigh-in tomorrow. And to top off my perfect day, I saw dolphins on my walk this morning. Hope you all have a great day too.

Well done Thin!
    Top country..you with dolphins, me on the other side with whales 🙂 P

Wise words Purple and Thin, thank you. I must admit, I have become more aware of what I eat on non-fasting days already and although I did enjoy a hot chocolate this morning at the bakery, I didn’t have the obligatory marshmallows they plonk on your saucer, nor a cake. The weird thing is, I felt full after the hot choc and didn’t even want a cake (even though the toddler and my friend quite happily tucked into them). It is a total change in mind set, I reckon.

And Thin – well done on your new PB. Have a great catch up this week and I look forward to meeting you all another time. How lovely to see such amazing wild life on a walk.

Well done Intesha – I am excited for you for Friday.

Thanks Merry – you are doing grand. Keep going.

Today I am going to bake. Tomorrow is another fast day so I am going to be strict with myself and go crazy with the housework to keep me busy and blast away those calories. I want to be a size 12 jeans before my Christmas in July party on the 25th (but have just realised that that is only 25 days away). Oh well, I like a challenge!

Yahoo to Intesha and Thin! Great news gals. Maybe I should say I’m on maintenance too!
    Good luck with the size 12 challenge, EA. Thinking about having a Christmas in July bash too. Whatcha baking today?
    FD for me and I’m cold and hungry. Family dropped in for coffee this morning and brought freshly baked apple strudel muffins….OMG, and I said no. Just can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to rabbit food for dinner – just ain’t the same in winter. Might try a hot tea now to warm me up. Good luck everyone who’s fasting today. CM xx

Make some spicy soup CM. Throw in any veg you have, plus chilli, garlic and onion. No spuds, pasta or rice, but a few lentils or chickpeas are good. Eat a big bowl before bed. Really warms up a winter fast day girl 😉 P

Keep going CM. Feeling cold on fast days is horrible isn’t it? I feel your pain. Well done on refusing the apple strudel muffins. Are you sure you want me to tell you what I am baking today as you are on a fast lol? Home made pizza and soup, I’m going to roast a chicken, an apple crumble (I made one at the weekend with reduced sugar in and the husband and kids loved it. So today, I am making it without any sugar at all and just letting the fruit sugar sweeten it up. See if the family notice), ANZAC biscuits, and peasant bread (never made it before so will see how it turns out).

But tomorrow is fast day so I will feel just like you are now CM. I must focus on those size 12 jeans.

I hope the day goes by quickly for you and you enjoy your salad. On my fast day on Monday I was going to have a salad but so cold I had cauliflower, broccoli and carrots with my chicken instead. I had measured out everything but couldn’t finish the veggies but it did warm me up. Do you drink your water cold CM? I find it freezes me even more even though it is room temperature.

I hope you are able to warm up soon. Sometimes I give in and just retreat to the sofa by the fire with a blanket. xxxx

Thanks CM, PVE and EA. Hoping to see whales in Albany later in the month. That will make it worthwhile freezing our buns off down there at this time of year.

I couldn’t do salad in this weather either CM. How about a hearty veg soup with parsnips, carrots and a smidgeon of potato? I’m having chicken and bacon casserole tonight, 249 cals. The others will have that too but they’ll get rice. It’s nearly 3pm and I’ve lasted this long with just the 22 cals for coffee, I know that’s not a true fast for the purists but I’m pleased with it. Kept busy with a walk, trip to the hairdresser & a bit of retail therapy which included one size TEN item. Can’t believe it.

Good job both of you resisting those ‘treats’, I bet your friends/family were impressed. EA, you can spend the money saved on cakes on your new size 12 clothing, think how much better that will look on you than the cakes! And CM, did you save one of those muffins for tomorrow? I would have.

Pleased to say we’ve finally sorted out our coffee date so if there are any Perth losers out there, don’t be shy. Bookcaffe, South Perth, 10.30am Friday. Please join us. We’ll be the fat, middle aged, grey haired frumps looking at the recipe books (CM’s joke).

ooops, only just saw that PVE said no potatoes, better go with her advice CM 😆

Thanks gang, great ideas. Taking your advice and will make a spicy veg soup with whatever is lurking in the vegetable drawer! Purple and Thin – where do lentils sit in the scheme of things…..in or out?? CM xx

Lentils are my friend CM. Used to have them quite a lot on FDs but haven’t for a while. I’m no food expert though; just sharing what’s worked or not for me.

EA they all sound yummy. No probs thinking about food on a FD. I often read Delicious magazine to dream of what I’ll cook tomorrow! Love to know how the peasant bread goes. I drink my water at room temp, but probably haven’t had enough today due to the drop in’s (& neighbour popped in too) – thanks for reminding me. Have had a peppermint tea and am feeling better. Just my feet to warm up now…..where’s that mutt of mine??

Thin!!! Size 10!! Wow! Do you believe it now?? You actually are THINATLAST!! We won’t know you on Friday. No they ate all the muffins in. front. of. me. Torture! Now, off to make the soup. CM xx

Yep. A few lentils are a good idea CM.
    Finished painting and enjoying wine and cheese watching the full moon rise over the ocean (eat your hearts out WA folk!)
    My son is down near Albany. The whales are in their hundreds there. So glad they finally stopped hunting them in the 70s!! P

Thanks P & Thin – soups on now. x

Enjoy. Ps add some vegemite too 😉

Well done Thin on getting to 3pm with just a coffee, that’s fantastic. You made me laugh – I would much rather be wearing a size 12 than a cake on my thighs lol. And well done on your size ten clothes – a great feeling eh.

Enjoy your soup CM. I hope your feet warm up soon.

Vegemite, seriously?

Sure. It adds a certain ‘je ne sais pas’. (Actually salt)

Viewing 50 posts - 5,501 through 5,550 (of 28,007 total)

You must be logged in to reply.