Hello fellow fast dieters

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Nika 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Having read the book, today is my first fast day. I am at work which has always been difficult in terms of food because if my mind wanders, it is usually about food!! However I am prepared and focused. Any words of encouragement, gratefully recieved. thanks Clare

Hi Clare
    Welcome and congratulations on starting this WOE (way of eating); I really hope it works for you. 😀
    Have a good look around this forum – pick topics that sound of interest. NB topics from other newbies should be particularly relevant as the replies they have received should be useful for you.
    Also look at the faqs, these are quick reminders and tips – tho having just read the book, you should be fully primed!
    Enjoy the fast days and the associated hunger – know that it means you are taking control and also that fat is being burnt!
    Experiment with what will work best for you on a fast day – read up on what others have done. Having lots of water/teas/some coffee (all without milk or sugar) is important and helps with hunger. Broths can be good too. I think the strategy that seems to work for lots is to leave the first food for the day til as late as possible. And only eat protein and veggies – avoid sugar/wheat/similar carbs.
    Take photos now and all your measurements. Think about how often you want to take these. Again, there are individual preferences on this, but I think weekly weighing and monthly inches/cms seems common.
    Use the TDEE calculator (under how? page) to work out the number of kcals someone of your sex, age, height, weight and activity level on average needs per day – on non-fast days try not to exceed that.
    I am sure you are already thinking of strategies to help you at work – there is probably a topic on this??
    There are lots more ideas on this forum – and do use the forum to help you thru the difficult times that we all experience.
    Keep us posted on your progress. 🙂
    Best wishes
    Sassy

Hi Clare

I can’t really add a great deal to Sassy’s reply because it encompasses everything I would say. It is very important to keep busy, especially in the early days as it will help to distract you from the hunger pangs. When you do experience the inevitable pang or two try to remember that hunger doesn’t build, the waves come and go and that it is an important part of this regime. It means fat is being burnt on a fast day and it will help you to recognise when you are truly hungry on a non-fast day. It will also help you choose the right portion size as you’ll realise that maybe you don’t need as much as you thought you did. What’s been really good for me is the return of being in control. 4 weeks ago I was totally out of control around food but now I realise I’m in the driving seat here and certainly for 2 days a week, I have total control.

When you need some encouragement, return to the forum. There is so much support here from people who have been doing it a lot longer than I have.

Good luck with the plan and let us know how you get on.

Ali

Hi
    I too started out yesterday. I watched Michael’s original Horizon programme and was intrigued but not motivated to start at that time. I have struggled with excess weight for a long time and, like many, tried a lot of diets, only to see the pounds creep back on in time. I was almost at the stage of thinking, why bother? I’ve recently retired (early) and it would be the easiest thing to give up on trying to lose weight. Something inside though keeps nagging at me to do something, but I just can’t face the prospect of days and days of denial. I had bought the book some time ago but it had languished on a shelf unopened. I picked it up a few days ago and skim read it and decided to give it a go.
    I have decided to fast on Mondays and Thursdays (a popular pattern it seems) and try to eat healthily on other days, keeping indulgent treats for the weekend – but knowing I can have what I want on non fast days (really liberating!).
    Yesterday was my first fast day – I was a bit apprehensive to say the least. People who have unlimited access to food never really feel hungry, do they? I intended to split my 500 cals between breakfast and dinner but I didn’t feel hungry so thought eating unnecessary. I honestly went all day without feeling hungry – all that passed my lips was water, black coffee and tea made with a dash of skimmed milk (I can’t give up my tea, I really can’t!). Come 6pm I thought I had better eat so had a low cal meal but actually felt more hungry afterwards. Slept ok and woke up this morning with normal appetite. I’m really surprised and pleased as I thought I would be famished!
    Anyway, thought I’d post and share my experience of beginning 5:2 and look forward to hearing how you are getting on.

Thanks for replying to my initial email. I have had a successful week one, losing 1.2kg. It is my first fast day for this 2nd week, struggling a bit today, not sure why. Thoughts of food or the lack of are consuming me but I want to stay strong and committed. I am following the 500 calorie plan from the book, this morning is hard, 100g Raspberries (I don’t like grapefruit)and an egg. Nothing more until dinner time. Trying to keep the ‘worms’ at bay by drinking lots of water flavoured with slices of lemon.
    Anyway, I will soldier on, beneficial I am sure to let others know how I am coping.

Just keep posting Clare, it can keep your mind of the hunger and motivate you! remember the first few times are the hardest, but also think of how your body is cleansing every time your stomach growls. It’s not just burning fat, but fasting has so many other health benefits!
    Again, it gets easier! This is coming from someone who fasts around 23 hours a day, and this weekend I basically felt no hunger at all. I’m a bit peckish now, not sure why, but I don’t mind – the growls usually make me smile!

Another tip you may use; write down the things you’re currently craving. Then tomorrow, pick one from the list which you then want the most – you’ll usually find your tastes have shifted completely and you may not want to eat anything on that list! And if you don’t want to, just throw the list away. But on fast days telling yourself “I can eat it tomorrow” can be that little extra push to keep going strong.

Thanks Nika, really appreciate your response. It has helped. I have had a coffee which has also helped. I look forward to it getting easier as I really want to succeed. I tell anyone who wants to listen that I have been trying to find a program of healthy eating to lose weight for 40 years but when I look back on photo’s I have of me, perhaps it hasn’t been that long and I am guilty of thinking when I was younger that I was fat! Lot to be said for our twisted notions of body image. Thanks again. Clare C

Hi Clare C!
    It’s troo, the girls are right! Keep busy. I used to always and only fast at work. Terrified of fasting on home days. Now it’s easy to fast on home days. It does become easier over time, like anything we learn that is new to us. I am still terrified of fasting when my O&O ( one and only) is home. This too will change with time. Be kind to yourself as you learn!

Hey Clare, glad I could help 🙂 I’m currently 22 and already can’t stand looking at pictures of myself (however I did post a progress picture on my blog and was very happy with the difference I saw ^^) The most painful however is looking back at pictures taken at my black belt exam earlier this year, because I can only think I was too heavy and it’s really hard for me to proud of the fact I earned that black belt regardless of my weight. My coaches told me it was a good exam, probably the best out of the three candidates – and one of them even got a bit angry when I explained I felt I didn’t deserve it.

I’ve digressed a bit I see! Anyway, I guess it was still about body image 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.