Hello everyone!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  coffeebean 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hi; good morning everyone.

I’ve just joined the forum today, having bought both books last week and become totally enthralled by the prospect of finally finding a solution to my yo-yo dieting. I sort of started the fast on Friday – I didn’t plan for it, but just decided to do it as I knew I could keep myself occupied fully for the day, to keep my mind off hunger. I was very surprised at how well I coped – I drank lots, kept busy and had a couple of pears to stave off temptation, and it worked well. But because I hadn’t really planned to start, my evening meal choice wasn’t great – low cal cup a soup + burgen soy & linseed bread. Calorie wise not too bad, but fairly sure the GI/GL side might not have been great. Anyway, it passed by without incident, and I was surprised not to feel ravenous on Saturday, just usual hunger.

So, I’m starting properly today – porridge for breakfast, and I will plan my evening meal when I’ve been shopping, but I’m determined to give this a fair shot, as I’m fed up with torturing myself on other diets.

Wish me luck, guys!

Hi, good luck for your first fast day. I started at the end of May and am now on 6:1 which is great. Some fast days I still find harder than others but overall it’s a good way to control weight

Good luck! Not that you’ll need it! Just enjoy – sounds a strange thing to say but I am enjoying this way of life and what I am eating! And it’s working! What more can I say! 🙂 I forgot to say Welcome! WELCOME! 🙂

Hi therapist61

I think you will actually find this the easiest ‘diet’ you have ever been on. Easy as it’s only for two days a week but you might find the hunger quite difficult on your fast days.
    However, what I always tell myself, when I could eat a scabby dog (it’s a Geordie colloquialism – I have never eaten my dog) the hunger pangs are a sign that my body is eating up some of the voluminous amounts of fat that is unfortunately available within.

You might also want to read the other 5:2 diet book by Dr Michelle Harvie and Professor Tony Howell: they have some fascinating information about studies done with their cancer patients who spent their lives (like a lot of us) yo-yo dieting. And how their similar 5:2 diet is working for them long term.

I wish you luck

HI there and thanks for the welcome.

I’ve now completed a total of three fast days – the first two were a little creaky due to lack of planning, but my third which was yesterday, went much better and I managed to stay well within my 500 cals, mainly because I planned for it. So; the old adage ‘fail to plan and you plan to fail’ obviously holds true.

I’m happy to say that I’ve managed pretty well during the fast days, especially yesterday as I was busy all day and didn’t have time to think about it, but I was ready to eat my evening meal.

Strangely, I’m noticing that I don’t feel so hungry on the day immediately after the fast, and certainly less so on subsequent days too. I did give into a massive craving for chocolate on Wednesday, and demolished a WHOLE bar of white chocolate, but hey ho – it’s gone and I have forgiven myself, and today is a new day.

Good luck to everyone for a great weekend. x

Hi therapist, I read your first post, and I feel exactly the same way. Something just clicked when I heard about this way of eating. I too have been yo yo dieting most of my life. Just can’t do it anymore.

My fasting days this, my first week, will be Wednesday and Friday. I was going to start today (Saturday) but now realize Saturdays and Sundays are not the best for fasting for me.

We can do this!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.