Heart burn

This topic contains 12 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  RenataV 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• I have only found one problem so far on a fast day I get a lot of heart burn .

I do too if I eat something too acidic on a non fast day following a fast day, such as pineapple or rhubarb.

Despite taking some ‘green’ drinks that are highly alkaline (both on fasting days and feast days) I am experiencing terrible heart burn and am not sure what else to do. I am losing weight in a gradual, manageable way for the first time in years – but I am not sure I can put up with the heart burn. It is not hunger pains, they are different (and noisy!). Any ideas?

Hey! I’ve been finding this as well! Not sure about you but I get so excited on a non-fast day that I tend to eat more food, faster. Also, the food is usually a bit richer than fast days because I’m not watching my calorie intake as much. I’ve found that slowing down has helped. That said, it hasn’t gotten rid of the heartburn completely but I’m wondering if that’s because my system is starting to actually ‘reject’ food that’s not meant for it any more (things like fattier minced beef etc.)…Sorry, not sure if that’s much help but wanted to say you’re not the only one and share my tips for how I manage it. Good luck!

p.s chamomile or fennel or nettle tea!!

I have only been doing the fast diet for about 4 weeks or so and have heard a lot about zero or miracle noodles. I bought some zero noodles today and made them up with chicken stock and a little chilli and curry powder for flavour. I thought it was a great filling mega low calorie lunch, however, I have been suffering from nausea, heartburn and reflux all day since!! To the point I had to pull my car over earlier as I thought I was going to throw up!
    Can’t find much online regarding side effects of the ingredient in the noodles. Was wondering if anyone else has maybe suffered these side effects after eating the noodles?!

We (husband and I) had trouble with heartburn before but not since so it’s obviously not a common issue. Fennel tea is good, drinking plenty of still water, not eating rich food and eating plenty of probiotic yoghurt would be my suggestions. Hope it helps.

I have found just the opposite. I had been plagued with severe heartburn but have had no symptoms in the 12 weeks since I have started 5:2….

I’ve found the same as Michele. I had terrible heartburn once, twice, three times a week for years.
    Reading this post I realised I’ve had one mild case since I started the diet (Jan 2012).

I have suffered from the heart burn more or less since my teenage. I have very sensitive stomach and I know that I should avoid empty stomach, should not lie down earlier than 60 mins after a meal, should avoid fatty foods…

I have started the fast days with Samarin (Swedish herbal remedy, mainly consists of sodium bicarbonate, http://www.totallyswedish.com/en/webshop/food/household-beauty-products/samarin) and that way I have avoided ’empty stomach heart burn’.

I find DGL licorice works well for me. I do get an acid stomach and nausea when I don’t eat but the DGL licorice really helps. I usually take it before I eat anyway, so on fast days I’ve been taking it around the time I would eat lunch and I feel much better. I suppose you could try Tums etc. — I have to avoid those since I’m taking thyroid meds and it can interfere with the absorption. I find DGL licorice at the health food store. Just be aware that regular licorice supplements (not DGL) can raise blood pressure so be sure to get the DGL variety. I’m sure you could also find it online.

Hi suekellywasontele. You’re not the only one! I very rarely get heartburn but since starting the 5:2 I’m getting it every fast day (I’ve even thought about how much Gaviscon I can have for 500 calories!). Today has been the worst yet, Gaviscon tablet followed by liquid followed by Omeprazole and still in quite a bit of pain (although not rolling on the bed and crying like I was this morning!) I’ve not lost any weight yet as I have to eat something to help stop the heartburn (4th week). I really want to try and stick to this diet so will be trying some of the tips posted here….Good luck all!

Hi everyone,

Heart burn, acid reflux and consequently GERD can be very frustrating and debilitating conditions, do I know that! I’ve to live with it for more than 7 months with doctors telling me that I was to basically live on tofu and proton pump inhibitors (which only aggravated my digestion) until I found a solution.

If you care to know more about my story please or email me: rvincent@viyalux.com

I’ll be happy to share with you how I’ve learned to overcome this awful condition!

Cheers!

Renata

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply.