Headache started on 2nd day of fast after 16 month of 5:2

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Benefits and side effects
Headache started on 2nd day of fast after 16 month of 5:2

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jojo58 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• I’ve been doing the 5:2 for 16 months now and very pleased with the results – lost 21 lb over that period and weight loss is now much smaller as I approach what I think is a stable weight for me.

However in the last few months I have started to develop painful headaches on the 2nd day of fast – usually starting about 4 or 5 am. They will disappear after my evening meal at end of 2nd day. There were no such issues in the first year.

I have tried increasing my fluid intake but that seems to make no difference, also drinking caffeine and a salty drink (yeast extract in hot water) – again none of these seem to make any difference.

The headache feels like a tension headache ie all round the base of skull above the neck and across the eyes.

I would have expected these to occur when first starting 5:2,not after doing it for a year. Could it be anything to do with the fact that my weight is stabilising and not burning as much fat as before? Any other thoughts, suggestions on how to avoid these would be most welcome.

Thanks

Hi Malcolm and Welcome to the fast diet forum

It seems really daft saying that to a 16 month veteran! and well done on your successful weight loss.

I can’t actually help with advice regarding how to cease your headaches but I’ll give you some advice I am always handing out to newbies – have a look back at the old threads. There is definitely one about headaches and there might be something there that someone else has had success with.

I am also getting daily headaches which is unusual for me and definitely started in January when I began fasting. They are uncomfortable but not agony so I am not taking painkillers. I drink all day both hot and cold drinks so it isn’t dehydration. Anyone out there suggest way of getting rid of them. I did consider whether it might be due to disrupted sleep, another side effect I have been suffering since I started fasting. Suggestions welcome!
    Is it just the price we have to pay to lose a pound or two per week?

Can I suggest that you go and see a doctor? Daily headaches are unusual for most people. Have you had your eyes tested recently? Please go and get checked out.Do you eat on a fast day or just drink?

Apologies for delay in reply annette52. I have made an appointment for an eye test as I do wear glasses and am due an appointment. I wouldn’t normally see a Doctor about a headache. I have never suffered with headaches before so assume it is fasting related. I thought it might be a detox type reaction to not drinking tea, I switched to fruit and herbal teas to save calories and now prefer them. I eat every one of my 500 cals breakfast 2 eggs, lunch low cal soup with carrot batons and fish with veg for tea. No carbs on fast days usually. I will make a Doctors appointment, report back.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.