Having No meals on fasting days an option? (snacks instead)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Different approaches to intermittent fasting
Having No meals on fasting days an option? (snacks instead)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  IziP 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• First day and I’m not thinking of making any real meals. I may make a homemade veg soup, or plain salad with balsamic vinegar when I get bored on later fast days.

There seams to be a great debate between 2 meal or 3 meal approach.

Is just snaking like 50-100 calories every few hours an option?

My plan is to eat pickled beetroot, cucumber, carrots, an apple and boiled eggs.

For drinks – coffee very almost black, Green Tea, and water.

I’m also taking a vitamin tablet and raspberry ketones on fast days.

There is nothing wrong with your plan. 5:2 is ultimately a calorie-based system and you are free to deploy those calories as you like. You will find many variations here, all of which work beautifully for some. Keep it simple and try things which make sense to you, adjusting when you’re ready to do so.

I used an all-day pot of soup when I first began a year ago. It was a great comfort as I found my footing and helped keep salt and liquid levels up. It kept me feeling full on a fast day, and that was important to me then. I could never have jumped straight in to my current plan, but I gradually found what works for me and have lost 4.5 stone as a result.

So, enjoy your soup, check out some success stories, take what works for you, and stay open to change. If you do, 5:2 will change your life.

All the best on your first of many days!

Yeah what ever works for the individual I think. I’ve been pretty much eating one meal in the evening and that’s it. Maybe an apple or avocado at 4:00.

I agree, how you spread the calories over your fast day is entirely up to you.
    I use mine as 1 meal for dinner, and some snacks – usually pieces of fruit, or some solid protein such as nuts, cheese or boiled egg, or a cup of miso broth, or a cup of hot almond milk flavoured with either vanilla or cocoa. I also allow enough calories for milk so that I can prepare cups of tea the way I like them throughout the day.
    I use no more than 1/2 of my 500cals for dinner so there is scope for snacks when I need them. Over time I have found that I can usually make it to mid-afternoon before wanting my first snack, providing I can have cups of tea when I want them earlier in the day. Some days (especially when it’s cold) I want something at lunch time as well so I’ll have a snack then too.

is there a greater benefit to complete fasting on two days?

also, is it optimal to do the 2 days back to back?

healthranger,

I used to do Mon/Tue water fasts. I found this easier than eating just a little bit. Ive been in maintenance for 18 months now and still do a water fast on Mondays. When I first started it would take me close to 60 hours to get into ketosis. I measured this with a blood glucose and keto meter. I now get into ketosis within 24 hours. I put this down to my liver being more adapted to converting fats and the fact that my glycogen stores are probably not 100% topped up. I think there are benefits to doing the days back to back if its a water fast. If youre eating 600 cal on your days then I don’t see any benefit to doing the days back to back. It will be unlikely that you will get into ketosis unless you are already eating a keto diet.

Mariboman,

Raspberry ketones?? Most of the raspberry “ketones” that are sold and not true ketones. If it tastes pleasant then it doesn’t contain beta hydroxybutyrate (BHB). Read the label carefully, does it contain BHB? If not then youre wasting your money. Swallowing BHB is almost the same a swallowing acetone (nail polish). It is brutally unpleasant and the natural response will be to gag. If your paying $5.99 for a bottle and swallowing it like its candy from the local health food store then it is not BHB. Visit Peter Attia’s (MD) website and look up his experiment with BHB.

http://eatingacademy.com/personal/experience-exogenous-ketones

It is not written for the layperson, so its heavy going but informative.

This probably will seem really unhealthy to most but I’ve found this really works for me.

I drink most of my 500cal allowance in the form of sachet cappuccinos….roughly 70cals per sachet. I’ve found that I can go a long time without food but once I start eating I can’t stop. Also, and I know this sounds silly but trying to put together tasty low cal meals is tedious and just reminds me of what I can’t eat and I end up obsessing about food all day long. So this time around I tried drinking coffee (3 a day) instead and there seems to be enough fat and sugar in the cappuccinos to satisfy any hunger pangs and keep my mind off food. I have a small banana in the evening and a square of dark chocolate before bedtime. My fasts usually last between 36 and 40hrs. I’ve only been doing it for 2 weeks but have lost 5lbs so very happy with my progress.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.