GETTING MY GROOVE BACK

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  fasting_me 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• I am starting this WOE this week after seeing my doc yesterday. I broke my back while dancing 9 weeks ago. Since then lying around, moving slowly, emotional eating have taken a toll. I can finally start physical therapy in about 3 weeks. I know losing weight will help EVERYTHING. I live in Orlando, FL and it looks like most of you are across the world from me but it appears we all share the same struggles. I’m 57 and I just want to get back to my life. I would love to hear from anyone near my age who might be going through some of the physical struggles as well. It’s hard enough to lose weight but now I can’t even walk around the neighborhood! Any encouragement will be very, very appreciated.

Hi Ynot and welcome:

You will be happy to know that exercise is not necessary to lose weight. It certainly carries overall health benefits but has little impact on weight loss. Here are some 5:2 tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Ynot, I started Fasting 5 years ago at age 64. Many people say it is difficult to lose weight at our age but that just isn’t so [unles one has a metabolic issue]. My husband has been Fasting too and 3 years ago he had total hip replacement — lying around recovering, slo-o-wly getting back to walking, just like you. But through it all he maintained his weight loss from Fasting.
    You can do this. If you need any recipes, let me know — got lots of ’em. I’m in New England, by the way.

Hi @ynot
    I am about your age and been quite sedentary the past few years after being extremely active.
    I piled on the weight, came to 5:2 in November 2016 and without doing much other than fasting 2 non-consecutive days a week AND keeping to / under my TDEE ( calculated Total Daily Energy Expenditure) on the other 5 days I lost weight steadily.
    Unfortunately ‘ life happened’ after that and I didn’t follow the WOL sensibly and I put the weight back on. It was all because I truly did not eat sensibly and ate lots of junk, lots of and too much of everything really.
    I am now back on track and again finding steady weight loss.
    I feel for you not being able to be active but as @simco said, exercise is not always necessary for weight loss.
    There are lots of other health advantages to the fasting WOL and I really encourage you to try it and to stick with it. My weight loss progress does look a bit like the Austrian alps but really really worth doing.
    Good luck!

Wow! That is all great to hear. Thank you both for the posts.
    fasting_me I am encouraged to hear that your husband was able to maintain his weight loss. And even more excited to hear that you’ve been with this for 5 years. That says a lot for this plan. I would love some recipes!!
    Lilymartin I too have many highs and lows in my weight over my lifetime. I appreciate your candor. The fact that you are doing it again with success says a lot. Thank you for sharing with me.

Ynot, what sort of recipes would you like? On Mondays we have a baked egg recipe in am, and a seafood meal at dinner. On Thursdays we eat an omelette at breakfast, and a meat/non-seafood meal at dinner.
    And if you click on my ‘handle’ you will see the link to my blog which I started to provide all-counted-out recipes for other Fasters.

Every once in a while, we have a meatless meal like this:
    Chili non Carne: PB GF The recipe is my mother’s, except that she used beef. And she served it on a heap of mashed potatoes, but we won’t do that on a Fast Day.
    1 cup =133 calories 0.7 g fat 6.3 g fiber 7.1 g protein 9.8 g carbs 70 mg Ca
    1.5 c. =199 calories 1.1 g fat 9.1 g fiber 9.4 g protein 14.2 g carb 120 mg Ca
    HINT: This is enough for 4 one-cup servings OR two 1.5 cup servings with 1 cup left over. Save the remaining chili for a lunch or check other postings to see how we use it for breakfast.
    For 1.5 cups chili served with cheese garnish and melon, as in photo: 276 calories 9.7 g fat 6.1 g fiber 13.3 g protein 19.4 g carbs 227 mg Calcium
    15 oz canned red beans, drained and rinsed 16 oz canned tomatoes – in chunks or diced, not drained 1 cup chopped onion 1 green pepper, chopped 2-3 tsp chili pepper, or more if you like it hotter ½ – 1 tsp ground cumin per serving: 1 Tbsp cheddar cheese, grated, as a garnish 2 oz melon
    Saute the onion and green pepper in some of the tomato juices until tender. Add remaining ingredients and cook gently until the stew is thickened. Taste to see if it needs more seasoning. Serve one or one and a half cups for dinner tonight with the grated cheese on top, and melon on the side.

Thank you so much for the recipes and for taking the time to share them. I honestly have never used a site like this so its all a little new. I believe I am following you now and will get an email when you post. When I think about the fasting days I don’t consider actual meals. I need to re-think that. I have always eaten small items like a handful of asparagus or a boiled egg. Simple things. My husband told me he would do this with me next week so I will look through your blog for more ideas. I’m a pretty decent cook so I was thinking about hitting the farmers market this weekend and roasting so vegetables then making a hardy soup. I know that has little calories and being hot, it is also good for the mind. Thank you again for making time to contact me. I am looking forward to seeing the results!

Thank you for looking into my blog and for becoming a Follower. I appreciate that so much. Next post is Wednesday and I assume you got the one on Sunday. [this is to check if you actually made the connection with WordPress] That’s great that your husband will join you — so much easier that way.

We are Fasting today and hoping for good results tomorrow. Good luck to you.

Ynottoday you should consider joining the monthly challenge. There is lot of interactions and encouragement and your goal can be anything that is right for you. https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/april-2018-monthly-challenge/

These have been going on for well over a year.

I’m about your age but I’m living in Japan. I’ve never dealt with anything like a broken back but I did have golfer’s elbow and minor injuries and my impression is fasting really helped the healing process, especially with tendon injuries. However you are probably on medication so you might want to check with your doctor or just keep it pretty light. The really good things about fasting are:

1) It is free!
    2) It is flexible! If you have to stop you can do try again later.
    3) It isn’t really hard! This is one case where the bark is a lot worse than the bite!

Good luck!

Apparently my replies from my phone did not go through so….

fasting_me: I did not receive a notification of your blog so maybe I did something wrong. I will check in again.

dykask: Thanks for the idea of the monthly challenge. I will consider it. I appreciate your thoughts on the healing process. I have been reading how the body actually heals quicker with fasting. Pain is difficult no matter where it originates from. I stopped using the pain meds after the first week except for Advil. Once in a while I take one pain pill to sleep but its rare. I just don’t like how meds make me feel. I fasted Monday and am fasting again today. I hopefully start physical therapy in a couple weeks. I’m looking forward to it. Now to lose some weight before I start!

We have reached our 5-year anniversary, which is the topic of my blog today BTW. Still Fasting, still at or around the weight I want to be, still delighted with the Lifestyle.

Will you be Fasting tomorrow?
    How is it going, Lilym?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply.