Gaining!

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  dykask 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Help! This is week 2 for me! I’ve gained 3 lbs. what am I doing wrong. Any suggestions. I’ve followed the rules and drank a lot of water and walked an average of 10 km and this! I measured myself but no change yet!

What do you mean by followed the rules?
    We need more information in order to help 🙂

I drank tons of water. Only ate 500 calories on my fast days.

I walked every day. I tried to watch everything i ate on my non fast days!

That’s what I meant by rules! Bad choice of words I guess!

Still not enough information. Are you counting calories on non FDs in order to ensure you aren’t eating more than your TDEE?
    What are you eating, are you trying to make healthy choices or do you eat a high proportion of carbs/sugary food?

Drinking lots of water isn’t a rule. It is suggested that we drink more on FDs as we get a lot of the water we need from our food.

This might help

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Thank you. I was not eating anywhere near my TDEE. Could that be the reason.
    I read many posts in the ‘newbies’ forum. I see I need to be a little more patient. 2 weeks in is no time to panic or worry that this is not working.

1. You could be overestimating your TDEE. It is common to think our exercise category is the one higher than it actually is. Try using the next one lower down.

2. You don’t have to eat righ up to your TDEE if your hunger is less than that on nonFDs.

3. Are you guesstimating calories or actually weighing and measuring, writing down and adding up? It’s tedious but worth doing for a week or 2 to really understand how much it is on the plate.

4. Are you drinking calories you’re not counting e.g. Milk in hot drinks.

5. Try writing down a food diary. It will show up patterns

6. I fell into the group of people who’s body will not lose weight if I eat starchy carbs i.e. Grains, potatoes, pumpkin, peas, corn. For me I had to add lentils, chickpeas, dried beans. Don’t know why this happens but there seem to be a group of people who cannot lose the weight without giving up grains and sugar. Try limiting these 2 right down or cutting out for a week or 2 to experiment.

Just don’t give up. Keep tweaking what you’re doing till you find what works.

Thank you Merryme! Appreciate the positive feedback!

If you were eating more than your TDEE then it is a problem, otherwise it isn’t.
    There are many diets but there is only one way to lose weight and that is to eat less calories than your body needs, so if you want to eat less on non fast days that’s fine.

Now that you know you aren’t doing anything wrong you can relax and keep going as the weight will come off. It isn’t a case of losing the same amount every week but the overall trend should be down if you can stick with it.

Sound advice from Merryme!

Good luck 🙂

Hi

A TDEE is a rough average estimate. For some people it will be an overestimate and for some an underestimate, unfortunately that’s how averages work.

The calculator tells me that my TDEE is in the 1700’s, but I know that that my actual TDEE is in the 1400’s if I want to maintain a weight of around 75kg. I know this because I tracked every calorie and my weight for months and worked with a dietitian to figure out why I was gaining weight when my average calorie consumption for the week or month was well within what I though my TDEE was (according to the online calculators).

I try to stick to my lower “real” TDEE unless I’ve done a solid block of exercise when I know I can have more calories that day. I find this encourages me to be more active.

You’re only in week two… I’d give it another couple of weeks at least before you take any serious notice of what the scales are telling you… even then, you might notice other differences that mean something too.

It also makes a difference knowing how much weight you have to lose… if you’re close to your goal weight and ‘only’ need to shift those last 10 lbs, then you’re going to have to expect some subtle shifts up every now and then.

…it also depends on how hydrated you are when you weigh yourself – make sure you weigh yourself at the same time each day (when you first get out of bed is when you’ll be at your lightest usually)… your weight will probably fluctuate by something like 3-5 lbs during any given day, especially if you are drinking lots of water.

(but give it a couple more weeks at least before you start hitting the panic button)

@nik2003 give yourself some time. I’ve been losing weight for 4 years and I actually had two years where I slowly gained weight while I was doing insane amounts of exercise and eating well under the TDEE. I did keep experimenting and for me a big problem was refined sugar. When I reduce the refined sugar in my diet I started losing weight. I’ve only been doing 5:2 for a little more than 4 months and I’m simply blow away by how effective it is at reducing fat compared to everything else I’ve tried.

At this point I actually don’t put much faith in calorie counting or even TDEE. They are all just estimates and no matter how careful one is you could be way off. That is why you have to learn what works for your body.

I tend to overeat the day after a fast, the next day probably just eating on the heavy side, by the 3rd day I’m typically eating much lighter. It doesn’t seem to impact my weight loss as long as I avoid the added sugar. That may not work for you, you just have to figure out what works for you.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply.