From Mass, USA First Day Today

This topic contains 255 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  MassPoodleWoman 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 256 total)

• Hi again,

Welcome, Ryan. Hope you’ll stay for a while!

kygirl: no worries. I had a terrible week and am struggling to get back on track. I gained 6 pounds in four days, so you can imagine what that did my confidence. But I can empathize with your stress levels, though, honestly, I can’t imagine having my mother live with me. I’d either voluntarily take on a starvation diet until I died, or eat myself to death. Either way, death would have to be the answer. I’m kidding (sort of). I love my mother, just so long as she lives a good ways from me. And I’m sure she feels the same way about me.

Anyway, good luck to everyone with the impending weekend! Don’t forget to get out of the house, if you can!

Hi all

FD for me today, so far only had liquids although need to eat something soon and then hope I can be good tonight as that’s my downfall and then that’s me done for FDs this week – love that feeling!

I had 2 delicious pastries at a meeting last night – enjoyed every bite!

Sanguinepenguin and kygirl – I have no doubt you will both be back on track in no time!

Hello Ryan and hello to everyone else on this thread – nearly the weekend!!

Welcome ryanvinedale, that’s a great loss for you, certainly motivation to keep going. I also do my FD’s M/W/F and find it pretty easy if I’m prepared. It’s the exercise that I need to push myself into.

kygirl44, our oldest child is trying to go into the military and was told to gain weight as she is too skinny, I wish I could give her a little of mine. Hope your Mom gets the answers she needs with the tests and you get back to your zen so you can restart your FD again.

Today is a non fast day for me and of course there is nothing in the house to eat, I guess that’s a good thing. Monday and Wednesday went great and tomorrow I’m fasting again to finish off my week. I’ll weight myself Saturday morning to see where I’m at.

I weigh and measure tomorrow, I hope I see numbers going down. 3rd fast day for me, no lunch just shrimp stir fry for dinner. Fit day calculated 435 calories with my coffee this morning! This is a make up day for two weeks ago when I didn’t fast because I was traveling.

Go Ryan! kygirl hope things get smoother for you.

Well, I dropped 3 (16)lbs., 2 (4) inches in my waist, 0.5 (2) Inches in my bust, and an 1 (3)inch(es) in hips; I stayed the same in my neck (3 inches), thighs, and biceps since January 24. Total numbers in parenthesis since January 7.
    I am trying to focus on the positives but was a bit disappointed in the numbers as I was expecting/hoping for better number in 7 weeks. I am a very big woman with a lot of weight to lose (125 lbs. plus)so I was expecting that more would come off when I first started as I know from the last time I lost over 125 lbs. it was faster at the start then slow like molasses at the end. I do know that I traveled 2.5 weeks since my last weigh and measure and put it off so that I has a solid 2 weeks on plan before I got on the scale and pulled out the tape measure.
    Hurray for the 2 inches off my waist!

Well done MPW on the 3 pound loss and those loss inches too!! Yes, it can be a bit frustrating by how slow the weight comes off, but it is coming off, so do your happy dance today! I say that because I’m doing my happy dance too. My weight is really slow to come off, but as of this morning I’m down half a pound and I’m thrilled about that. Took my measurements and I’ve loss half an inch off my bust, two inches off my hips and two inches off my waist since the last time I measured. Doing my happy dance right now!! So for anyone that is struggling with those numbers on the scale not moving that much, take your measurements. You could be losing inches. Seeing the shrinkage on the measuring tape is just as awesome a feeling as seeing the reduction in weight on the scale.

Hope everyone will have a wonderful day and a great weekend!!

Yay MPW and FastTimes!!! Congrats on your losses – they are losses no matter how small they are! You’re going in the right direction!

I had my second fast day yesterday and it went fine – even though my husband felt like he needed to snack on kettle chips and drink a beer that he assured me, repeatedly, I would have really loved… 😐

Today was my weigh day and I only weighed and didn’t measure because I can’t find the measuring tape I just got. But, it was still great because I’m down to 195!! So that’s a total of 11 lbs! I was so happy – and it was 195 on the button – so VERY close to going down to the 194 range. 🙂 🙂

I think this goes to show that even when you are doing well, your weight will still yo-yo (hence the 199 last week). I will try to keep that in mind in the future when things aren’t looking so rosy. But for now – VERY happy about the scale this morning.

HAPPY FRIDAY!

Way to go MPW, FastTimes and LacerX – all losers!!! Congratulations – perfect news for a Friday!

I haven’t weighed as trying to be good and wait til Monday, FD went great yesterday until the dreaded evening when I had a delcision and healthy meal but then had some chocolate – not too much but enough to probably send me slightly over the 500 cals – oh well!! Onwards!

Looking forward to the weekend, will try not to over do it!!

Congrats to everyone on your big losses!!! LacerX: your loss is an encouragement to me – I’m hoping it just goes to show that even when the scales go up, they will eventually come back down. I’m almost anxious for my weigh-in Monday; I hope it’s good!

It’s here! Monday weigh-in saw me at 193.4, which is a full six pounds down from where I started five weeks ago. So, while not what I was hoping for, it’s still more than a pound a week. I’ll take it. How is everyone else this Monday?

Also, anyone else try fasting through a social event? I decided to give it a try tomorrow. A professor is hosting my class at her home for dinner and drinks… I’m going to stick to my 500 calories!

Nice job sanguinepenguin! More than a pound a week is above average so nothing to scoff at for sure!

I don’t think I would try fasting through a party – I know myself too well for that! I love party food and don’t go to those type of things often so would want to dig in to whatever they were offering. 🙂 In fact, one of the things I like so much about this way of eating is that I can mold it around my week to make my chance of succeeding as good as possible. That’s important to me.

Also, I’m trying not to let my weight affect my feelings too much. I figure, if my weight is higher than I was expecting, I’m going to fast my two days that week. If my weight is lower than I was expecting, I’m going to fast my two days that week. As long as the overall trend is down, then it’s working for me because it’s a part of my lifestyle which will always include natural ups and downs. I just want to live without always thinking of my weight and I feel like I’m really succeeding with this.

Way to go Sanguinepenguin – 6Lbs down is great.

I agree with LacerX I wouldn’t even attempt a FD at a social event – aside from being thoroughly miserable I know I wouldn’t keep it up! I would switch my days but fair play to you, I am sure you will fair better than I would!! Amazing feat if you can do it with all that temptation and if you save your 500 cals or most of them you can still enjoy whats on offer in moderation.

I was down 1 lb this morning so 146 for me, my mini goal was 145 for when I head to England which is in 10 days time so I am on track and any more will be a bonus!

FD for me today and I could eat my own arm!!

Congrats Janey! Sounds like you’re going to meet that goal no problem!

Fast day for me today too – usually Mondays are easier for me since I’m re-setting for the week so not too much of a problem so far, but come Thursday for my second fast day I’m in the arm eating boat for sure. 🙂

Big salad with Tuna on the menu for tonight – looking forward to it very much!!

I agree with LacerX and Janey, I wouldn’t try to do a fast day and attend a dinner at someone’s house; it’s hard enough to do a dinner that you can plan or change from what is on the menu when eating out; never mind when someone is hosting you and providing a meal. Good luck sanguinepenguin, let us know how you fair tonight. And great job on the 6 lbs. in 5 weeks.

I fasted Sunday and yesterday. And will most likely fast tomorrow as well. Sunday was a very light day of a bunch of asparagus roasted in olive oil, thyme, pepper and touch of salt, YUM. I love asparagus and needed a recoup day as I over did on both food and drink on Friday and Saturday. Fasting was what I needed on Sunday. Yesterday had a very garlicky shrimp stir fry with shallots, snow peas and mushrooms.

I didn’t put my scale back from Friday and could not resist it this morning, down 2 lbs. from Friday so 18 total and the next pound will put me in a the 60s instead of the 70s, Woohoo. Love when you drop into the next lower “decade”.

Congrats MassPoodle!!! That’s awesome! I’m happy to hear everyone is doing so well. 🙂 Good job on us all!

Congrats to all of you for your successes! MPW, I know I can’t wait to see the 80’s!! It is such a great feeling to say goodbye to another 10 pounds!! Janey, you’re almost there!

Happy St. Patty’s day, too!

And thanks for all your well-wishes for tonight. Because this is a working dinner and not a sit-down affair, I believe that I can do this without much trouble. LacerX, I, too, am a big fan of this lifestyle because it affords me a lot of flexibility, but I have also recognized that I need to check myself occasionally when it comes to drinking and eating, socially. By going into this knowing that I can have a small glass of wine, a helping of veggies, and a small portion of something else, I feel that I’ll be successful, without being totally offensive. I dunno, maybe I’m crazy. But I’ll be sure to let you all know how it goes!

Good luck to everyone fasting today!

Hello USA’ers, chiming in from Hawaii. Coming back to IF after a few years (why, oh why did I stray???). We generally eat low carb as our lifestyle. Beginning of the year I acknowledged that I had gained back the 20 pounds I’d lost the previous year again (and again and again). Went on Low Carb-High Fat (love all the new data showing fat is not hurting us, it’s actually sugar). Lost about 7 pounds and then stalled out for over a month-damn metabolism (I’m in my mid 50’s). So I’m back here where I belong. I’m lucky, my DH also does his own version of IF and so it is not difficult in that regard.
    First FD yesterday, easy-peasy (I know it won’t always be). Had 18 hour fast broken at 2pm and then dinner at 6:30pm (early for us but we’ve agreed we’ll do that on FD). Total of 511 calories. BTW, I read earlier in the thread about drinking coffee black. I gave up sugar but can’t handle it black. So I have a splash of cream or almond milk in tea/coffee. I understand as long as you are keeping the calories less than 50, it doesn’t really break the fast. So if your’re like me and can’t take black coffee, I wouldn’t sweat it (but I do count the calories).
    On non-FD, even though I know we can eat as desired, I plan to count calories, stick to low carb, high fat and aim for 1500. Once I get the weight off, I may try just eating as desired on non-FD and see what happens.
    Current plan is Mon and Thursday with some Saturdays thrown in when schedule is conducive (ie no social events). Although this week it will be Monday and Wednesday for that reason. Here’s to success everyone!

Good morning – 2nd FD of 4:3 for me this week and already cant think of anything but food!!! I am off to make a herbal tea….its only 9am so today is going to be a battle of wills – I can do this…..may not do a 3rd FD this week after all if this is how I am feeling – Time of month too so am sure that’s not helping my mindset!!

Sanguinpenguin – how did last night go???

Janey

Hi all!

Last night went swimmingly. Here’s the deal, though. It’s not something I try with family or close friends. The people I had dinner with are co-workers that I’m friendly with, but we don’t hang out. It was simple to abstain from alcohol because they know I had an hour drive home. It was easy to abstain from the brisket because they know I don’t eat meat (usually) and it was easy to eat very small portions of veggies because we served ourselves and I actually did want to leave plenty for the people behind me. So dinner was no problem. The problem came later when, on my drive home, my friend texted me and said she was going to have a beer at our local pub for St. Patty’s day. I had expected our work dinner to run late and so I could skip the pub, but no such luck. However, I met my friend and my husband there, had a beer, and went home. It wasn’t comfortable, but I am proud of myself nontheless. I’m pretty sure I came in under the 500 calories, or maybe just over.

So, anyway, I wouldn’t probably do that again anytime soon, but it’s possible to do!

Hang in there Janey! That’s how I felt all day yesterday – just keep drinking tea!

Yeah – that’s amazing sanguinpenguin – never doubted you!! And to go to the pub after too and hold back!! Well done and how funny you are not so hungry today – typical!

I made it through the morning without eating and then went to the gym and now feel so much better, going to have some soup soon and then a veggie omelette I think for dinner and then will have to go to bed!!!

Hope everyone else is having a good hump day!!

Wow sanguinpenguin, I am impressed. I have been able to low carb most times through a dinner but under 500 calories is impressive and then the pub, you rock. Fast day today, had asparagus roasted for late lunch. Hope to get power back to make fish and Brussels sprouts for dinner. Hang in Janey

Since I fasted yesterday and was so close to going into the lower “decade”, I weighed this morning and am officially into the 60s. Lost 1 more lb. WOOHOO!

Will measure tomorrow but it is time to put the scale away cuz it’s not always friendly and I know it’s better to weigh less frequently.

Sanguinpenguin – nice job! WOW. That is some very impressive will-power! You must have been feeling very proud of yourself afterwards 🙂 I know I would have been!

MassPoodle – congrats! That’s awesome! I can’t wait to fall into my next decade! Nice work.

Again, so happy that you all are doing so well, it really helps keep me inspired 🙂 Today is a fast day for me, so I will just keep thinking about everyone’s weight loss (including my own) to keep myself motivated.

I’m actually doing something that I’ve never done before tonight – my husband got me a birthday present last year of a 90 minute session in a float tank. It’s like, this salt water tank that you just hang out in and meditate I guess – it’s supposed to be really relaxing. The guy who made my appointment recommended not eating an hour and a half beforehand so that you’re not locked in there with the “sounds of digestion” as he put it. The thing is that I usually wait until dinner to eat all of my calories so would not be eating at all beforehand. HOWEVER, I am worried that all I’ll be able to “mediate” on is how hungry I am – the float starts at 3 and that’s usually when I feel a strong bit of hunger. I brought a 120 cal soup with me to work in case I change my mind.

MPW, nice work! I know what you mean about the scale – I’ve wanted to get on it SO many times to see if I’m making progress, but it is much nice to see the bigger numbers, even if just once a week. So happy that you’ve made it into a lower decade!!

LacerX, the float tank sounds both amazing and terrifying. When you said “locked in there with the sounds of digestion” I immediately began feeling claustrophobic. But floating is a very relaxing sensation, I hope you love it! And what a cool gift.

Today isn’t a fast day but I’m trying to do a modified fast and won’t eat until 1-2ish today, and then will stop around 8-9ish. We have an art exhibition tonight for a friend and I’m sure there will be wine and food. I’ll need to exercise some level of control, especially since we had a date night last night that involved a few drinks at our favorite spots.

Aloha all, positive thoughts going out to Thursday fasters. I fasted yesterday instead of today so I can enjoy a social event tonight. Nice that this WOE can be flexible like that! 450 cals yesterday after 2:30pm break-fast.

How is everyone doing? Completed your fasting for the week? I am adding Saturday this week, so one more for me. Had a blast at the social event last night-scale down a tad this morning too-that never happens! It was a champagne dinner-lots to drink paired with yummy food. I passed on dessert and mashed potatoes but scarfed and quaffed everything else, LOL.

Have a good weekend!

Hello fellow Fasters – sounds like you are all doing well! I was meant to try a 3rd FD today but its not happening – will stick to 5:2 for me and watch the cals on the 5 days more closely! One thing I noticed last night was I had 2 glasses of wine and felt the effect much more than usual – also had a bad headache this morning – clearly turning into a light weight! Have avoided eating everything in site today which is progress for me!!

Have a great weekend all, hoping that 1 pound is off on weigh in on Monday so I reach my mini goal

Janey

Good luck Janey with your goal. I’ve noticed a lower tolerance for alcohol also. 3rd fast day went well today 475 cals. Think I’ll do 3 days again this coming week.

Hi All!

It’s realy helpful to read all of your posts especially when its been more difficult lately. Not necisarily the fast days but the exercising/eating clean/fasting/cooking at home… everything is difficult! I’m trying so hard to lose weight and create a new lifestyle and it’s hard to keep it up! I have eaten out on the weekends and not been crazy about calories then so I am enjoying myself sometimes… but it’s just hard!

For the last week or so I had a cold then a sinus infection but I still have been doing everything… fast day, exercise, etc. That was the most difficult week so far. But at the end I lost another 3.5lbs and am down 22 since Feb 3rd! Super excited to be in my old clothes that are fitting lose and anticipating getting into my thinner clothes that I havent been in for years.

Anyway, gotta keep up the good fight and press on. After all, I have a FD tomorrow! 🙂

Wow ryanvinedale – your progress is amazing, well don you. 3.5lbs is a great achievement especially as you said it was a tough week!

Hey fastdiet1115, congrats on 4:3 last week and I am impressed you want to do it again – don’t think I want to make it a regular thing but maybe once in a while to kick start things or if I have a heavy week.

I made my mini goal – weighed this morning and came in at 144.8 so will take that! Now to keep going before I head to England on Friday for 4 days of undoubted celebration and indulgence. My jeans are super baggy today so I need to invest in a belt – happy happy!

Have a good week all, FD for me today and feeling strong!

Janey, that’s awesome. Good job on meeting your mini-goal. I sure wish I could get somewhere like that.

So, what’s everyone’s opinions on stalling/plateauing? I’m up .6lbs this morning and really, really, really feeling frustrated. I went for a great hike yesterday, had a good fast day yesterday, have been drinking lots and lots of water, and yet I can’t seem to get out of the 190’s. I know that having my husband home, being off of school for spring break, and having lots of social events has thrown my schedule off, but I just haven’t felt so terribly out of control that I wouldn’t even see a 1 pound loss.

I’m really bummed about this.

Hi everyone! Love this site. I’m from Boston, Ma. and started my first fast day today. I have about 40 pounds to lose, which shocks me to even say!
    Ten years ago I generally ate every other day and I was a fabulous size 8- I’m literally busting out of my size 12s these days. Time to get back to what worked! Life is so much more fun when you feel great about your body! I can barely even remember how that feels and that’s not ok.
    Let’s do this!
    Starting weight 196 (ugh)

Congrats ryanvinedale, nice progress! And you too Janey.
    SanguineP-chin up! Stalls are better than gaining a lot but I know how frustrating it can be (just dropped my first pound in 6 weeks!). You probably know what you need to do–try to get back on whatever schedule was working for you before.
    Doing 3 fast days this week again since that seems to have busted my 6 week stall; today, either Wed or Thursday depending on a couple of things that are hanging in the air right now, and Saturday.
    Have a good one everyone!

Hey all! Congrats Janey and ryanvinedale! Those are wonderful losses to hear about!

Welcome Morgan!

Sanguinepenguine – there are so many reasons why you could be off by such an amount – I wouldn’t let it get you too down. Just keep your head up and stay on track!

Today’s a fast day for me – feeling good after a busy weekend. 🙂

HI Morgan – I am also in Boston and waiting for Spring to actually arrive – great group on here for support whenever needed!

Sanguinepenguin – have you tried 4:3 to try and shake things up a bit, I wouldn’t worry too much, its not a gain – just a temporary blip!!

Hello USA,

It’s been so nice to read everyone’s posts and encouraging!

I’ve been on a bit of a hiatus, but I’m ready to jump back into the 5:2 WOL! I started 5:2 seriously last Oct. and loved my results. Lately, I’ve been putting exercise before eating right / fasting and the scales are creeping up. I am more fit, but weigh more. I have not found my balance with 5:2 and exercise, advice would be appreciated!!

2 weeks until Spring Break & wearing a swimsuit… Anyone else in for 4:3 this week? I’d love the support. I’m fasting today + probably W & Sat. Good luck fasters!! Anyone else traveling for Spring Break??

How are you doing LacerX? I need to catch up with everyone…

Em

I am still here and it’s been awhile since I posted as work has been crazy busy. That being said, I didn’t fast at all last week because I was just to stressed. I am back to fasting today and need to get back on the scale.

Hey Emilyashen! I wish you luck with the 4:3! I’ll be sticking with my 5:3 for now – I want to make it as much of a habit as possible before I start tinkering with it. I have the habit of going to hard too fast on things like this and then getting burned out. So, slow and steady for me for now.

The same thing for combining working out with dieting – I am trying to make the new way of eating a natural habit that doesn’t take too much thought before I add on exercising. I feel like I have limited will power so have to focus on one thing at a time. Once I get the eating part well ingrained, then I’ll consider adding in more exercise.

My last weigh in wasn’t too nice, but overall, I’ve been on a downward trend. The week before this last one I hit 195, so down 11 pounds. I’m pretty happy with my progress and am keeping on keeping on. 🙂

Sorry you are stressed mom2. How did your fast go today?

LacerX, awesome work! You should be proud to shed those 11 lbs.!

I’m going to make it through my fast day :). I think I may have been closer to 600 calories, but it works to get me back in the groove.

Emily, I may do a 4:3 this week! I generally do them m/w/f and leave the weekend for dinners out. But that’s just me. Usually I’m 5:2 though.

As for exercise, I hate exercise but I’ve found an appreciation for it these days as it makes me feel so good! I try and mix up my exercise so I don’t get bored. Cycling outside for 1 hr (I live in la), the gym, or my house where I have an elliptical machine. I hope to incorporate swimming this summer too. One thing a day, 4-5 days a week. I have a whole guilt / food thing and exercise helps with that.

Don’t think I said anything that’d help but just know other people are struggling every day and you’re not alone!

Emily,
    I’m doing M, W, and Sat this week. Completed today 480 calories. As far as travel, DH and I travel most of the summer each year; heading out early this year, in less than 2 weeks. I always gain–this year hope to keep that in check with the intermittent fasting.

Good morning everyone!

I completed my fast yesterday – closer to 600 cal., but felt pretty good.

The scale wasn’t as bad as I thought this morning. Still 10 lbs. below I was when I started 5:2. Just 5-8 lbs. to go! I do want to push it a little before vacation… So, still planning on fasting W & Sat., fastdiet1115, hold me accountable!

Ryan, your words on exercise did help, thank you :). I’m going to try to fit something in (but not stress about it) on my non-fast days. Do you exercise on your fast days? I am still not brave enough to try it…

Emily-will do! Golfing today so I’m sure we’ll all go out for drinks after. I take mild walks on my fasting days so far but feel like I could do more. Worry about “bonking” but intend to up the intensity gradually.

I was going to make today a fast day. In fact, it is one, as of right now. But I’m losing will power quickly. I think the last few weigh-ins have shaken my resolve and I’m really thinking that maybe I should take a week off, actually enjoy my spring break (what little I have of one!) and get back to it next week with a fresh perspective. Another part of me thinks that’s ridiculous and is terrified of getting on the scale next Monday to see that I’ve gained back all the weight I’ve lost. Help?

And a note on the exercising while fasting: I went for an epic hike on Sunday (also a fast day) and felt great during and after it. We hiked about 5 miles in 2 hours including some serious climbs and some bush-whacking. The only time I felt kind of bad was when we got in the truck to come home and I began having a little headache. But I ate a little bit when I got back and felt fine shortly thereafter. So I think our bodies can handle a lot more than we think they can!

I’m back from the ledge. Nothing like a banana and a look through the Talbots catalog to set a girl straight. I may live on a farm and I may have chased some cows down the road this morning, but I’m nothing if not a prep at heart.

Sanguinepenguin, glad you made it yesterday, nicely done. Some days are definitely harder than others…

I’m fasting today, but I know it’s going to be harder to complete today. However, today is a busy one for me, so it’s a perfect for a fast day.

Sanguinepenguin, sorry yesterday was touch. Had a chuckle about the catelog…good time killer and gets your mind off things doesn’t it. Same for me with cooking magazines.
    Emily, I’m with you today on the fasting, so lets hang in there. Have to say I really wanted some breakfast this morning but am doing fine sipping on my coffee with cinnamon and almond milk.

Good luck to both of you today. I’m really glad I stuck it out yesterday-I feel slimmer than usual today and my jeans are a bit baggy. It was the closest I’ve been to throwing in the towel.

Fastdiet1115, I love cooking magazines too, but there’s no way I could read one on a fast day. Although, I have been doing a lot of cooking on my fast days… So who knows??

How did you do Emily? I ended up doing fine-just over 500 cals in, took 2 nice walks and unpacked a bunch of stuff that has been just hanging out in boxes in my home office. Feeling accomplished!!!

Hello fellow USAers – where are you all?? I am on 2nd FD of the week and done so well up until now and my stomach is growling/cramping and begging me for food!! I will not give in! I have had plenty of hot drinks and now I am sipping on water with mint, lemon, cucumber and ginger to try and settle things down – only 2 more hours til I can go home and devour my chicken which is in the crock pot!

Anyone else on a FD?????

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 256 total)

You must be logged in to reply.