Food labeling. Let's post what you find less than convincing

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body General health
Food labeling. Let's post what you find less than convincing

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  bigbooty 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Now I suppose we have to be careful and keep just to the facts otherwise multinationals wont be at all happy. Most people on this forum would be at least better informed than most with regards to diet and healthy foods but I suspect that most of the general public just “believe” what they are told by advertising companies.

My wife just handed me a packet of Optifast (NestleHealthScience) “very low calorie diet” bars. Berry Crunch in fact. It contains 32.2% sugar. Yep 32.2%. In fact its the main ingredient, with milk chocolate coming in at 17%. So 49.2% of the bar is sugar and chocolate. Apparently its certified as low GI. What a bonus for those that suffer from insulin resistance. Have two of these bars and you’ve had your 1/4 TDEE for the day.

Lets get better informed and start spreading the word. If you find an interesting diet “food”, read the label and post the sugar content. No need to cast aspersions, just post the facts. Im sure people will be able to come to the right conclusions.

Hmmm perhaps its only me that is passionate about this topic? Came across a Paleo Bar (trademark name). Had refined cereals and sugar content was 47.9%. Really?? And you call it a paleo bar?

Perhaps the general public don’t know or don’t care? Even the food pyramid that has been pushed onto us for the last 40 years by government agencies is incorrect, so why should anyone care about food labels?

Hello BB
    I find this topic fascinating and now you have pointed out a couple of items I shall be looking myself.

The so called ‘diet’ industry like us to think that the products they churn out with low calorie, low carb or low fat advertised are an alternative to a chocolate bar or other snacks and meals replacements.
    That said us as the general public need to be aware of what the ingredients are.

I’m reading Dr MM 8 week diet book, more aimed at diabetics (no I’m not diabetic) and finding it really interesting reading

Bigbooty,

I can’t really contribute as I buy very little processed food 😀

But…I was in the way of buying ‘healthy’ snacks from Holland and Barratt (UK health food retailer) until I began reading the labels…. I had naively thought that buying from a health food retailer, the ‘yoghurt covered’ range at least would be a healthy choice… Doh. Yoghurt covered almonds anyone? Only 47g of sugar per 100g…. The yoghurt covered ginger is even better, admittedly crystallised ginger, but then coated in sugar yoghurt for a whopping 66g of sugar per 100g. Now that one made my teeth hurt ☚ī¸

Im reading Jason Fung’s Obesity Code. I got to page 32 and had a OMG light bulb moment. Everything he says just makes so much sense.

We have a food rating system in Australia where 5 stars is supposed to be very healthy. It uses a simple formula to calculate how many stars you end up with. It didn’t take multinational food companies long to figure out how to “manipulate” the ingredients to get 4 or 5 stars on their foods. Cornflakes or frosty fruits with 4+ star ratings. Really??? Weight watchers branded chocolate chip cookies with 30+% sugar content. Really??

Read this… and weep. This is what we live with in the US. The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) is just starting to recognize that an avocado (higher fat) is better for us that Pop Tarts (low fat but awful in every way).

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2013/02/11/why-the-american-heart-association-cant-admit-theyre-wrong/

Nice article. I got a very strange response when I went into the diabetes association to get my glucose/keto meter. I don’t have diabetes so the guy asked me what I wanted the meter for. I want to monitor my BG/keto response when I fast. He almost didn’t want to sell me the meter saying that fasting was very dangerous. I wanted to say no its not and your information is all wrong. The sad part is that they think theyre doing the right thing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.