Fit February

This topic contains 283 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  AT 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 284 total)

• We are a group of core members who are delighted to welcome anyone new who want to join us in our passion for this WOL, some of us to lose weight, some of us to maintain weight, and some of us to stop the creep of gaining weight.

So please comment below that you’d like to join us, and I’ll have a longer post later today about specifics for the month of February.

Please read through these and notice especially our only “rule,” number 1: how to begin your post each day.

These monthly challenges were started by @coda in May 2016 and have been going strong ever since. Goals can be overwhelming when viewed as a whole. But by breaking them down into small achievable pieces (monthly challenges), we are able to stay focused and motivated to accomplish our goals one step at a time in bite-sized monthly challenges. Here’s how it works:

1. Posting – Please start each post with the day of the month, where you are, and if you’re on a fast day (FD), non-fast day (NFD) or controlled day (CD). We’re located all over the world and in different time zones so it helps us keep track of which day we’re talking about, who else is fasting with us on a particular day etc. Look at the various posts, and you’ll soon see the pattern, and will learn how useful it is for reading. THIS IS THE ONE TRUE RULE OF THE GROUP, SO PLEASE DON’T IGNORE THIS DETAIL.

2. In your first post, introduce yourself to the group – helps us to get to know each other, especially helpful for newbies. Perhaps say something about where you started, journey so far, what you’re aiming for or how you are benefiting from fasting. You might like to include your starting weight or your goals for the month. But you don’t have to – share only what you are comfortable sharing online.

3. Spreadsheet – we have a spreadsheet available: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16pI6cvUNbjOwEvFDGhbPDkQHD9lLGMYAhkuaKtDqPfQ/edit?usp=sharing It is in alphabetical order by username. If you find it helpful, you can use it to record and track your progress as well as keeping track of how others are doing. It can help with perspective, accountability or planning. And if you need help just ask – there’s always someone happy to help. But you don’t have to use it if you don’t want to. It’s just another tool you can use if you choose.

4. Frequency – Some people post daily, others check in every few days. Some are brief, others are long and chatty. If you’re posting for a second time in the same day please head your post eg Day 1 second post. Past history shows that posting every day truly does help with motivation for staying on track with your goals, so please don’t feel shy about suddenly posting daily; we love new members!

5. Content of your post– Comments or questions, complaints or celebration – anything you’d like to share with the forum. Recipes, tips, tricks and bright ideas are always welcome. Remember: we all have good days and bad days, days we fall off the wagon or days when we are hanging on by our fingernails, days when our mojo deserts us and days where we feel completely in control. So DON’T GIVE UP – whatever it is, you are not alone!

6. Community – This is a worldwide forum so there’s usually someone online. We all do our best to offer advice, support and solidarity.

7. Pocket lists –A ‘pocket list’ is a list of the names of people who are sharing the same goal on a particular day. It’s great psychological support in mentally keeping that list in our back pocket (it started as a literal list tucked in a pocket), knowing we’re not alone. Anyone can join a pocket list or start a pocket list. Typical pocket lists are for FD but in the past they’ve been used for people doing daily exercise or planks, or DTF (dry till Friday).

8. 5:2 basics – answers to many FAQs plus top tips:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

As this month’s host, I will read and respond to every post. My job as host–at least, as I see it–is to reply to everyone’s post every day, and to be kind and encouraging for where you are in your journey. There’s plenty of discouragement and frustration in this world already without your host adding more, LOL! In addition, my promise to you is that I will model the behavior I’m encouraging you to follow; if I need to slack off, I’ll wait until March to do so! 😂

And by way of translation, we use a LOT of abbreviations. Here’s a guide to some of the more frequently used ones:
    5:2 – 5 days NFD – 2 days FD
    16:8 – 16 hours fast – 8 hours non fast
    IF – Intermittent Fasting
    ADF – Alternate Day Fasting (FD – NFD – FD – etc)
    AF – Alcohol-free
    B2B – Back to Back (consecutive FDs)
    BMR – Basal metabolic Rate
    CFD – Controlled Food Day (a day’s eating comfortably below your TDEE)
    DH, DD, DS – Darling Husband, Daughter, Son
    DTF – Dry ’til Fri (no wine, beer, etc.)
    EE – Emotional Eating (reflex grazing out of a need for instant comfort instead of satisfying hunger)
    EFS – Epic Face Stuffing (Definitely due to a faulty OFF button!)
    FD – Fast Day (500 cals)
    FD800 – Fast Day 800 calories
    Hunger Dragon – that dreadful psychological beast that sometimes cannot be satisfied. Some people even name theirs (e.g. @i-hate-lettuce had an inner warthog!)
    IF – Intermittent Fasting
    Keto – way of eating that generates Ketones
    KISS – Keep It Simple Stupid!!!
    LC – Low Carb way of eating
    LCHF – Low Carb High Fat way of eating
    LFD – Liquid Fast Day (incl. tea, coffee, miso, bone broth & water)
    LOL – Laughing Out Loud
    M/WOAM – Man/Woman on a Mission (courtesy of @i-hate-lettuce)
    MFD – Modified Fast Day (800 cals) on the new Fast800, it’s a FD
    MFP – MyFitnessPal – a smartphone app & website that tracks diet & exercise.
    NFD – Non Fast Day
    OH – Other Half (eg spouse/partner)
    OMAD – One Meal A Day
    PFDS – Post FD Smugness (courtesy of @penz)
    Pocket List – Names to “keep in your pocket” for a common goal for the day
    TDEE – Total Daily Energy Expenditure (see the ‘how it works’ link on the home page to work out yours)
    TRE – Time Restricted Eating
    WFD – Water Fast Day (Water only)
    WFH – Working From Home
    WOL – Way of Life
    WOCA – Woman Of a Certain Age
    ZBC – Zero Breakfast Club

Day 1 Auckland NZ FD 76.5kg

…It’s a new dawn and it’s a new day.
    And I’m feeling good…
    Thank you, Nina Simone

Hello one and all! I’m exactly one year into my weight loss journey. I started out at 93kg, weighed down with sadness, too heavy to exercise, sore knees and thinking about a hip replacement. When I joined the monthly challenges I set myself the task of a 1 kg per month loss and here I am 12 months later 16.5kg lighter (36.3lbs), walking 5 x 30’ per week and dancing when I feel like it to CDs and YouTube videos like Carlos Santana and Annie Lennox in the privacy of my home!!!
    I’m 65, have travelled the world and had lots of adventures, am a reg nurse (ICU) and have a fine arts degree which led me to meet my DH who died in 2021. I have played all sorts of sports (cricket, tennis, hockey, rowing, skiing etc) which is why my joints are a wee bit worse for wear. But they have improved so much with weight loss and I am back on the exercise trail. Time to get into Fit February and go for a walk!!
    Thank you @stitchincarol for hosting Fit Feb and working on those epistles which I know will be food for thought!!
    Welcome to all those who are joining us for the first or second time. It can take a wee while to get going so don’t be shy about dipping in and out until you find your rhythm…👋
    And a big Hi to all the usual roundup!!!

Pocket List #1
    @merry🍎

Day 1, NFD, Aus

Hello everyone! The sun is shining from Australia’s capital city, and I am basking in PFDS! What a great way to start the month.

Thank you so much for your excellent hosting last month, @merryapple, and thank you @stitchincarol for continuing this fabulous forum.

I’ve been dabbling in 5:2 since around 2017 – on and off. My on and off commitment reflects my on and off weight; this WOL works when I stick to it. So this time I am sticking to it!!

Looking forward to staying in touch with old friends and meeting new ones.

Day 1 – NFD – Wellington, NZ
    Weight 114.7kg, Goal weight: 66-69kg

Kia ora, I learnt about 5:2 protocol in 2020 from a friend, back then didn’t try it out but 2021 I did it only a few times. Over the years of continuous yo-yo unsustainable dieting I’ve put lost and gained the same 40kg and now wanting to get it off. Goal weight is somewhere between 66-69kg and I am determined to do get there or even 70kgs range I’d be happy. For the month of January 2024 I lost 2.8kg pretty happy about it.

Want to say thanks to @merryapple for hosting Jaunty January and @stitchincarol for hosting Fit February

Fit February goal is to lose 2kg for the month, regular exercise and mindful eating on NFD’s

In the spreadsheet for this month,my FD’s this month are scattered all over the place, but I’d still be getting in minimum of x2 FD’s per week. I have some family coming from Brisbane Australia end of this month til early March so plan is to do x3 FD’s for 2 weeks leading up to their arrival and then while they’re here just to fit in x2 FD’s where I can.

Should be a good month!

Day 31, second post

Welcome, @merryapple, @penz, and @fastingnurse!

This day has gotten away from me, so there’s no truly thought-out essay to share, but I wanted to share what I read on Amazon about a fitness book I noticed:
    ===============
    Are you sick of feeling like muscle aches, joint pains, stiffness and low energy levels are your new normal?

You’re not alone — these are the common issues that many older adults face. But I’m here to tell you these things often aren’t actually effects of aging, but effects of inactivity.

And using a simple strength training routine to become active and strong again can help you to live a life that isn’t ruled by pain and frailty.

It doesn’t matter if you’ve been inactive for a long time, or even for most of your life, short, simple strength training routines can get you feeling full of energy and independent again.

In a study published in Preventive Medicine, scientists reported that adults aged 65+ who strength train even just twice per week show a 46% lower mortality rate in comparison to those who do not.

So not only can strength training improve your life, it can even extend it!
    ===================
    Okay, it’s me again. It seems too good to be true, right? But I think that’s the excuse of those of us who’ve been slack in caring appropriately for the movement needs of our bodies. I do know, and am sure you do too–in theory at least, if not through experience–that exercise improves the quality of our life. And the lack of any movement at all decreases the quality of our life.

I also have begun to be quite certain that the lack of planned activity decreases our motivation to eat well/appropriately, and adds to a level of depression, ranging from so mild as to be barely there, to something quite serious.

So, on a forum where our goal is to eat well not only for our health and our bodies’ size, how about if we start incorporating some sort of activity?

To get us started, here’s what I’m asking: Are you an
    A–You exercise in a serious way, with weight and/or aerobic exercise
    B–You don’t exercise specifically, but you move enough to get a good number of steps each day, and are active simply with life (housework, carrying groceries, etc)
    C–You’re really pretty much a couch potato when you’re home, and spend much of the day at a desk or otherwise sitting

Personally, I’m occasionally a B, but most of the time I’m a C. And in February, I aspire to begin my life as an A.

Okay. Ready to answer?

Day 1 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 69.2 kg – 16 months AF🚫🍷🎉🎊

@stitchincarol – thanks again for hosting our new monthly challenge. I’m definitely a ‘B’, sometimes displaying ‘C’ tendencies if I don’t watch it. And also now aspiring to be an ‘A’ 🏋️‍♂️

About me:- David, 61, originally from Manchester, England. Retired & living in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. Been 5:2-ing/IF-ing since 2014. I joined the Challenges in 2018. Currently maintaining – 69.2 kgs/BMI 21.4. I basically keep to two FDs per week – sometimes three – and have an eating window of around 12 noon to 8/8:30 pm on NFDs. I recently started logging cals on MFP every day instead of just FDs, to avoid having to do too many FDs. It works, it takes only seconds & it really makes you think twice before you eat anything you know you shouldn’t if you promise yourself you’ll log everything.

Girls can be so mean?! 😳
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-13029571/Why-women-hate-fat-friend-loses-weight-Sarah-Jane-Clark-22-stone-nine-stone-slim-friends-started-making-catty-remarks.html

A mildly amusing article from journalist Quentin Letts, attempting to follow Rishi Sunak’s fasting schedule:-
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-13027707/QUENTIN-LETTS-gave-beloved-kidneys-cream-try-skinny-Rishis-36-hour-fasting-challenge-end-Statin-pill-delicious-treat.html

Wishing everyone a successful month! 🎯

2nd post Day 1 NZ

Great question! Could we possibly have another category in there for regular self initiated exercise that doesn’t involve paying a gym sub eg regular walking and biking which I think a lot of us do, like myself and @at and @jaifaim and @fastingnurse😄
    Thanks!

2nd post Day 1 NZ

@stitchincarol I would say I’m B, I like exercise and think I get a bit irriated if I don’t exercise often, exercise is so important for keeping my sanity. On Tuesday just this week I did a 3.5 hour bush walk it was the best, beautiful blue skies and the wind blowing – absolute bliss

Day 1 UK f800

Fabulous title this month @stitchincarol My aim this year is to be fit,healthy and happy so perfect match

Exercise wise I’d say I’m an A , I really enjoy doing my daily workouts , I’m taking it slowly but want to regain some flexibility and strength that I lost last year

I’m a 62F living on the south coast of England with DH and we currently have our youngest son 26 staying for a few months

Similar to @penz I’ve been on/off IF since the first challenge back in 2016 and my weight has been on/off too but having had a bad year last year health wise it’s given me that extra impetus to sort my weight/health out

Currently following the fast 800 principles and had a great first month , aiming for 3:4 or 2:5 weeks this month and aiming to up the exercise

Pocket list day 1 🐝
    @brightonbelle

Day 1 – USA/GA – NFD

Intro: I’m a 49 y/o fellow in Northern Georgia in the USA, who started this journey in May 2020. Transparency: I lost 72 lbs, but have gained about 15 or so back in the past couple of years. So far this year, I’m making good headway (most of the time) towards my final goal of a healthy weight. This week, other than Sunday, has been a bit of a setback due to illness.

Weigh-in: 227 lbs. So sorry, all… I bailed on yesterday’s FD. I tried to go to work and everyone said how horrible I looked (gee, thanks!) and should go home. My boss urged me to do the same. Was going to do a lot of liquids and maybe still keep to a FD500, until mom saw I was home and provided sustenance — I decided to give myself grace this week and restart 5:2 on Sunday.

@stitchincarol So I guess I’m just like you! I’m occasionally a B, but most of the time I’m a C. I am a little less ambitious towards the A, but if I can start with being more of a B than a C, then I will aspire to go to an A.

Day 1 – Ireland – CD 🚫 ✅ 🚶‍♂️ 🌾
    Openng weight 156.6lbs

Hi just a very quick post to say I’m here, I’m
    an A – mostly outdoors – and I’ll be back later 😂😂

Thanks so much for setting up Fit February @stitchincarol! ⭐️
    And thanks again for a Jaunty January @merryapple! ⭐️

Two gold stars ⭐️ ⭐️ for sure 💕

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 1-No. VA USA-FD 800

Hello to all fasters! Thank you @stichincarol for hosting this month, and thank you @merryapple for a great job last month.
    Determined to be more consistent this month with the fasting. For me, the system works best if I can avoid too much bread and pasta, which of course, I like a lot. But there are not a lot of foods I dislike, actually! Evening eating is a breakdown point for me, and I am going to address that every day.

Joining @brightonbelle on the pocket list:
    @brightonbelle
    @excelsior12309

2nd Post – Day 1

Pocket list Day 1 🐝
    @merry🍎
    @brightonbelle
    @excelsior12309

Day 1 – UK – CD

February already…….where did January go……it seems that I last posted on Day 18??????

Despite not the best control on my NFDs last month I did end the month 1kg/2.2lbs lighter than I started so I’ll definitely take that

Started today with a 9am Aerobics class then met an 83y.o friend to walk a couple of miles with her and had a coffee before heading back home

@merryapple – Thank you so much for your excellent hosting last month 💐🤗 although I stopped posting after Day 18 I was still lurking and using the spreadsheet to keep me going
    @stitchincarol – thank you for taking up the hosting baton once more 💐🤗 In answer to your question I suppose that I’m an A as I do Yoga x 2 1.5hr sessions – Floor Pilates x 1 60mins – High Impact Pilates with light weights (500gms) x 1 50mins – Aerobics with light weights (500gms) x 1 60mins session and I hike on average x 4 times a week (distance varies between 4- 11miles)
    @merryapple – what a great job in the last year……down 16.5kg (36.3lbs) Loving your Nina Simone opening lines 😘
    @penz – what a great way to start the new challenge “basking in PFDS”
    @fastingnurse – 2.8kg loss in January was a great way to start your 2024 weight loss journey
    @funshipfreddie – our maintenance king – a real inspiration to us all
    @brightonbelle – I have been on these challenges since 2016 like you and I also enjoy my daily exercise be it a class or hiking with friends or on my own….
    @northgeorgia – perseverance is the key to this WOL and remember a bad day/week does not make a bad month make
    @jaifaim – I’ll join you for a CD today although it will involve a glass of wine….
    @excelsior12309 – I’m with you in being “Determined to be more consistent this month with the fasting”

Going out this evening with 6 other 🩰 friends to see Giselle, the ultimate romantic ballet, performed by former Bolshoi Ballet principals Olga Smirnova and Jacopo Tissi, who fled Russia and joined Dutch National Ballet – this version was filmed last year at their live performance. We are having a meal following to celebrate the birthday 🥂 of one of our group

I remind myself that “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Day 1 – Rural Nebraska, USA – WFD – 161.6

I was proud of myself yesterday for eating extremely mindfully, not snacking, and staying under 1500 calories with very little effort. And then I actually put my food choices into MFP and was gobsmacked to find out I ate over 2,000 calories!!! I thought I was much better than that at mentally tallying my daily calories; that’s clearly not the case and so I’m resolved to use MFP more diligently.

Today should be an easy-enough water fast, so I will not–this is a promise–be changing my plan mid-day.

===============

@funshipfreddie I would have guessed you were a B all the time since you so often hit 10K steps–that alone qualifies you for the B category.

@merryapple Oh, I don’t at all mean that to be an A you have to be going to the gym. Walks certainly count, as does any sort of exercise with videos, or biking, vigorous gardening, or snow shoveling. Does that put you at an A?

@fastingnurse Hmmm…how often do you do 3.5 hour bush walks? That sounds like an A for that day, at least!

@brightonbelle From things you’ve said over the years, I would have guessed you were an A!

@northgeorgia I do hope your health improves soon!

@jaifaim Yup, I knew you’d be an A!

@excelsior12309 So how do you think you’re vest categorized? An A, B or C where exercise is concerned?

@at Good to see you back, and you’re another I knew would be an A!

Okay, everyone, so what shall we do with this knowledge?

If you’re an A, you get a gold star. You, in fact, get three gold stars!! ⭐⭐⭐

If you’re a B, then the question becomes: how often do you move your body sufficiently to know you’re treating it the way bodies are meant to be treated, with sufficient physical challenges? Do you need to be more consistent with your effort? Are you happy for now with B, or do you want to move into A? If so, how do you want to do that?

If you’re a C, then you need to do something. You know that, I know that, we all know that. And I’m right there with you. So I have two things for you: ideas and a challenge.
    IDEAS: Can you park further away than you normally do, so you get a few more steps to and from your car? Can you take the stairs instead of the elevator? Can you go for a stroll at lunch time?
    Here’s the book whose description I quoted in yesterday’s post: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B463LXJK/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title
    Here’s another that doesn’t ask for much time: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B091MD7VVL/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title
    And a third, again focused on seniors, but that doesn’t seem like a bad place to start for those Cs among us, regardless of our age: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BYDH39Y9/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title
    CHALLENGE: Will you get up and walk in place (think Walking with Leslie for what I’m talking about) for five minutes three times today? It’s not much, but it’s a start, and all great journey start with small steps.
    And I include a promise to you all: I will not ever ask something of you that I don’t give, so I will get up and walk vigorously in place for 5 minutes three different times today. In addition, I will read the samples I’ve downloaded of those three books (plus two more that are focused on women) and see if any of them resonate with me. It’s a tiny start. But it’s a start.

Have a grand one everyone, and don’t forget your challenge if you’re a C!

Pocket list Day 1 🐝
    @merry🍎
    @brightonbelle
    @excelsior12309
    @stitchincarol WFD

Day 2 – 🌟FD🌟 NZ

2nd FD this week✅️ very windy here in Wellington today, hopefully the wind will blow me to work because I just don’t want to work today 🤣

@stitchincarol honestly not often! Maybe once a month or when I feel like a big walk because weather is horrible on other days

Day 2 Auckland NFD 76.3kg

I made a hamburger last night with salad, no bread.
    We have another weather front heading our way for the weekend so I’m off to go shopping today before the heavens open.
    @stitchincarol Thank you for the explanation. I don’t think I quite qualify for A because I’m not doing strength exs. I’m power (?!!) walking for 150’/week as recommended by one of King Freddie’s Daily Mail articles, if you can believe what you read!!!. I’m nervous of doing shoulder work until I see the shoulder specialist in March but like I said crunchies can be my new thing to comply with Fit Feb! I do do a Big Crunch when I pick up Mr Mac at least 10 x a day…
    And everyone – don’t forget skipping ropes!!! I’ve got one somewhere… I need to dig it out and give it a whirl…
    @at and @brightonbelle Your exercise schedules are admirable!
    And @jaifaim I love the fact that your activity is outside in the fresh air.
    @funshipfreddie Perhaps Boo Boo would take you for night walkies🤣

💪🚴‍♀️🏃🏼‍♀️👋

Second post

@fastingnurse I certainly get your “honest not often” answer, as that’s been the truth for me on many, many days! So my challenge today to all the Cs is to walk in place–or outside, or in a building, or at the mall, or wherever–for 5 minutes, three different times. Can you talk yourself into that, knowing such movement is so healthy for our bodies, even if it’s slow movement, as it may be for you in the heat of the summer?

My report is that I’ve done one of the 5 minute walks, and had planned to do the other before I leave for Omaha to teach piano lessons, but I’m out of time as I just got home from my church job and must be out the door in the next two minutes, so I’ll walk for ten minutes tonight when I get home.

Third post

Whether you’re up to an A yet, @merryapple, you’re doing great to be getting the 150 minutes; I’ve read that guidline in many, many places. Congratulations on that!

Day 1 USA (Illinois) NFD

I’m alive and really quite well – doing lots of stuff lately though. Sorry I haven’t been very active here, just preoccupied with many details of life.

Think of you often, and I’m still at my “high maintenance” weight.

Hugs —
    Gwynne

Day 2, NFD, Aus

I can always count on @stitchincarol for that much needed kick in the b*m! (Which I mean as a compliment.) I am naturally a C, which is a reason I deliberately chose to have working dogs as pets, because that forces me to be a B. This year I want to – no, I will – incorporate some daily weight training into my routine.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Day 2 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@stitchincarol – I’ve definitely been a ‘C’ this week, thanks to this lingering virus. I actually reached + 6000 steps yesterday though. I’m definitely on the mend, but it’s taking its time. It’s annoying more than anything. I mean, I managed to dodge it for 4 years, & I get it now?! Every day is a new adventure as far as the symptoms are concerned 😅. I was ravenously hungry at lunch time, but by dinner time I hardly ate anything. So I’m delaying my first Feb FD til Sunday. I downloaded a sample of the ‘Strong after 60’ book & will take a look at it later. I do love walking though, if the weather’s decent, & nothing beats a great view of the ocean. It certainly doesn’t feel like exercise. And I think that’s the key; it has to be something we enjoy if we’re going to stick with it. If it feels like a chore, then that’s how we’ll approach it & sooner or later it’ll fall by the wayside.

@merryapple – no?! No night walkies for/with Boo Boo. After 7 pm she’s confined to the house, otherwise half the village would be kept awake listening to her scrapping. She brought in a bird yesterday afternoon. Miraculously it was still alive, & I actually managed to free it before she finished it off 😳

Happy Fri-yay! 🍹

Pocket List – Day 2 🥑
    @fastingnurse

Day 2 – Ireland – CD 🚫 ✅ 🚶‍♂️ 🌾

Hello! Didn’t get back yesterday but here today… another CD for me and after a ine hour walk this morning by the sea. Thanks for the spur to action @stitchincarol and bravo to you 🚶🏽‍♀️👏

Sorry to hear so many are feeling ill – I’m definitely coming out the other side but have a few lingering niggles, a bit of vertigo and fatigue but so may have better than the past few weeks.
    @fastingnurse I hope work was ok… it’s easier when you get there…😄

A lettuce “bun” is a great option for a burger @merryapple 🥬 🍔… I’m veering towards that now as GF bread is not that nice.. and need to cut it out anyway as it is full of sugar.

Great to see you @at and @songbirdme 💕

@funshipfreddie I agree on the ocean view – it must be fab there! I just have sea and harbour but still gorgeous to start the day ☀️ Enjoy the book! We should all be exercising now to ensure we can be mobile and not have to depend on others to push us around in 20 years… or so I’ve heard 😃

My intro for the new folk – welcome again!

The first challenge I joined was October 2017…and I’ve been intermittently fasting in all senses of that phrase 😂 since. Sometimes it’s hard to do but you fall off and you just climb back on again… 🧗‍♂️

My name is a little play on words as I am a french speaker so “J’ai faim” means “I’m hungry” but also stands for Just Another Intermittent Fast And I’ll Maintain…it makes me smile 😊

I recently reached my ideal weight (155 lbs) but maintenance is hard and I’ve bobbed up again after Christmas and holidays etc. I’ll get to 155lbs this month and maybe beyond. 💪

I love being outdoors even in our lovely Irish weather and cycle, walk, swim in the sea. I so some strength work too but that’s fallen by the wayside in the past few months.

I’m stay away from alcohol 🚫 so “on the dry” and have reduced added sugars ✅ and eat gluten free 🌾 because of intolerance symptoms – headaches.

I have two auto immune conditions and the above foods definitely cause flare ups… along with hormone deficiencies now due to my age. My little icons help me to stick to clean nutrition.
    But….. life is for living and like others I tend to have one blowout (EFS) day a week where I might have crisps etc – it has to be done 😄

Onward and downward ⬇️

Second post.
    Apologies for the typos… posting on the phone and rushing does not work 😂

Day 2 UK CD

Thanks for the recommendation I’ll take a look at those books @stitchincarol

So plan to have a few drinks watching the rugby tonight but have my food planned so shouldn’t steer too far off course

Have a Good Friday all 👋

Day 2 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 225 lbs. I’ll plan on Sunday being my next FD. It’s a busy week coming up, so should be some good opportunities to reset and fast.

Day 2, London, UK, NFD,

Late on parade in sooo many ways!!!!

Skiing was fab ………….mainly because I didn’t ski!!! Anyway, food was consumed, wine was consumed, lots of walking was done and a lovely spa day was had!!! I returned 2lbs heavier, but that’s gone now, so back to improving on my -9lb Jaunty January (thanks for hosting @merryapple💐) result.💪🏼💪🏼💪🏼

I got back on Monday and straight back to the grindstone on Tuesday……….. I’ll take a breath tomorrow and read & reply to posts!!!

Thank you @stitchincarol for hosting this months challenge.

Keep the faith folks, see y’all tomorrow🙏🏼🙏🏼

Day 2–GROUND HOG DAY! – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD – 159.2

Got through the WF yesterday just fine, some challenging moments at various times, but soothed with big drinks of water and then forgotten by getting busy again. I’ve thought through my calorie needs, and know that the 1500 calorie limit is often what does me in (because it feels too few, despite being all I burn on many days), so I’ve decided to try something that feels a bit radical, but also feels reasonable.

On any given NFD, I’ll allow myself 1700 calories, rather than the 1500 I always figure should be my limit. If I only burn 1500 that day (according to my fitbit), then I’ll be eating up some of the negative calories from my WFDs, but I’ll still end up at negative calories for the week, so will still lose weight, albeit V.E.R.Y. slowly–which is an advantage over what’s been happening the last few months. Plus, I believe that extra 200 calories daily will feel so much less restrictive, and will result in me sticking to my limits. On days when I’m getting more steps/being more active, I’ll allow myself even more calories; the hard rule will be that I must not exceed my burned calories by any more than 200. That will be motivation to stick to my plan of increasing my physical activity so that I’m burning more calories. In theory, this will work. In reality? I’ll find out.

======================
    @stitchincarol I did my 15 minute total. ⭐

@fastingnurse What do you think now that you’ve seen the challenge? Are you game to do it?

@merryapple ⭐ You clearly get a star since you’re doing 150 minutes per week!

@penz So do those dogs mean you’re getting at least 15 minutes on most days?

@songbirdme It’s good to hear from you; how soon do you move into your new house?

@funshipfreddie ⭐ You clearly walked for at least 15 minutes yesterday, which is amazing given how awful you’re still feeling! And, wow, a bird you managed to free? Amazing. Oh, and I totally ran out of time yesterday (I can’t figure out why I’m SO busy this week, but have been swamped) so haven’t looked at any of the samples, and today and tomorrow aren’t looking good either, so let us know what you think of it, will you?

@jaifaim ⭐ Glad I’ve helped! Think you’ll get back to strength work this month?

@brightonbelle Do let us know what you think of the books, okay? And you’re a regular exerciser; did you do anything on 1Feb?

@northgeorgia Are you going to consider the fit challenges?

@flourbaby Welcome back, and I’m glad you had such a fabulous time! Let us know your plan on the challenges I’m issuing, okay?

@at You didn’t report in, but we can almost guarantee you’ve exercised, so here is yours also! ⭐

Okay, everyone, how does it feel to get a gold star? 😁 My experience is that, even when we’re a long ways from 6 years old, a gold star is a joy to receive, so I hope they made you smile. If I didn’t give you one, and you did the work to earn it, do let me know!

My challenge for today is the same: 5 minutes three different times. You can walk in place as I first suggested (just because that makes the least interruption in a day) or walk anywhere you want. One of my 5 minutes yesterday was the in-out-in-out of carrying in the groceries I bought; my fitbit recorded the same 500 steps I got from walking in place, so I knew it was legit. And, for those of you who don’t always post on the weekend, my challenge is different, and this way you’ll know: on either day, walk 5 minutes. That’s it. I know that when we’ve been Cs all this time, we’re not going to suddenly become avid As, so I’m keeping the stretch minimal. Report the time, and you’ll get a gold star! 😁

Have a grand one, everyone!

Pocket List – Day 2 🥑
    @fastingnurse

Day 3 Auckland NFD 77.1kg 🏃🏼‍♀️

I had quite a lot of ham at lunch y’day with help from Mr Mac and finished off my v long lasting Xmas ham, then went to dinner at a friend’s place and had a vegetarian meal, no seconds like The Queen and two glasses of white wine. So although my weight is up, it wasn’t a bad day’s eating. Just the ebb and flow of daily food and weight…
    I managed a walk today in between bursts of rain. Now I’ve been awarded a gold star I have to keep it! I also went looking for the skipping rope and so far haven’t located it.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Day 3 – Ireland – NFD 🚫 ✅ 🚶‍♂️ 🌾

Well now @stitchincarol – thank you!
    You inspired me to step away from my desk after I read your post and to pick up my weights and walk out to the garden on a beautifully crisp Friday afternoon and do 5 minutes of arm work…
    And that led to restraint later in the day so I recorded a really decent CD for a Friday which rarely happens for me!

It was just the jumpstart I needed … 30 minutes workout done first thing this morning and off now for a gentle hike locally.

Thank you! I hope yours and everyone else’s Friday was fit and fun ☀️

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 3 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

Just took another test, & I’m officially Covid-free! So I’m going for a real walk, for the first time in over a week🚶‍♂️

@stitchincarol. Only 4000 steps yesterday, but my Fitbit said I was active for a whopping 42 minutes. Most likely whilst I was cleaning up cat hair. I guess I’m just an over-achiever 😅

Michael Mosley article:-
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-13039315/rishi-sunak-fasting-weight-loss.html

Have a good weekend everyone 🌤 🌈

Day 3 UK CD

That’s a relief @funshipfreddie bet it feels great to get out and about again

Another relaxed day for me food wise , yesterday my cals were around 1500 which I’m hoping I can do 2 – 3 days a week 800 on the rest and still lose ? we’ll see

@stitchincarol my daily exercises are Pilates 20-40 mins, Yoga 30- 45 mins and walking (outdoors yesterday but with Leslie if the weathers poor ) 3-5 miles My goal this month is to very gradually up the intensity and work on upper body strength

Yes @jaifaim let’s enjoy the weekend 🌤️ 🌈

Day 3 – UK – NFD
    Day 2 – NFD

A very busy day yesterday

@stitchincarol – Yes regular Friday group walk, just over 5miles in the rain ☔️

This was followed by a busy afternoon of cooking – Coffee and Walnut cake and Lemon Drizzle cake for a friend’s 83rd birthday coffee morning today and I made a 😋 Prawn and Spinach Orzo dish for dinner

Then watched the Rugby 🏉 Ireland 🇮🇪 v France 🇫🇷 – it certainly was a night when the reigning Grand Slam champions let everyone know that theirs would be a crown not readily surrendered!!

@merryapple – thank you – I only discovered my love for exercise once I retired – previously it was downhill skiing twice a year and a hiking holiday twice a year with very little in between 🤣

Today is going to be a day of rest, no exercise!!!! More Rugby 🏉 watching this afternoon…..

I will definitely be out for a walk tomorrow 🥾

Day 3 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD – 162.2

Our dinner out last night was pizza and beer, so I’m not surprised by the huge jump in my weight, and only surprised it isn’t worse; today’s restraint will remove much of that water weight. Restraint will be a bit of a challenge because I have a meeting this morning that will start with sweet rolls and have some sort of a catered lunch and then cookies or something in early afternoon before we leave, so I’ll spend the hour+ drive to the meeting psyching myself up to be indifferent to all the goodies and only interested in controlled eating. 💪👍

==================

@stitchincarol I got in my 5 min three times! ⭐

@merryapple Love the phrase, “Just the ebb and flow of daily food and weight…” You are so right. I’m always astonished by those who have bodies that stay put, as my body has always fluctuated daily and it has ceased to concern me. And for your walk yesterday, you get another!!! ⭐

@jaifaim ⭐ EXCELLENT! Isn’t it funny how stars can make us feel so recognized and clever?? I’m glad it motivated you, as that’s the entire point.

@funshipfreddie I’m glad you’re finally covid-free and for your walk today: ⭐

@brightonbelle You sure have me beat; I’m hoping this Fit February activity, and me being responsible to lead by example, will help me enjoy exercise enough that I can be far more active than I’ve been for a long time. Here’s yours! ⭐

@at Wow, not only 5 miles, but in the rain? Impressive. ⭐

Remember, our weekend challenge is one 5-minute walk as a minimum. Anyone have any opinions on any of the titles I posted, or a different title they really like?

============

The meeting today was supposed to start at 9:30, but a decision was made last night to move it to 10:30 to allow for more careful driving in the fog. “Fog? What fog?” And, indeed, there was none when I got up around 7, but now there’s a bunch of it, so I suppose I’d best leave earlier than planned so I can drive more slowly and still be on time.

As to tomorrow, I have church in the morning, a special meal–just for because–with DH and DS27 afterward, and then a party in the afternoon, so it’s possible I won’t manage to post at all tomorrow. I’ll try, but if I don’t succeed, I’ll see you all on Monday morning!

Have a grand weekend, everyone!

Day 3 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 225 lbs. Well, in the end, it’s only a pound higher over last Saturday, but I am ready to begin my regular fasting again next week. Nearly an entire week has passed without fasting. Still a little congested, but quickly recovering day by day. I am excited about the possibilities this month.

@stitchincarol Short answer: Maybe. Long answer: I’m not quite ready to jump on the fitness one yet; I know it will be wonderful but psychologically I know myself, and I’ll be totally overwhelmed with continued extra duties at home, stuff at work, and the date of my dad’s passing coming up later this month. I’m trying to discipline myself on 5:2 principles, especially on what I’m doing on NFDs as priority this month. That being said, 5:2 was far more effective when I was doing my daily or every other day 30 minute walks. However, if I tell myself it’s not a challenge — it’s just something I should build back into my life, I might be able to trick myself to get back into it this month. Yeah, my mind is crazy that way. I’ll do an unplanned 3 day Water Fast challenge nearly all month long with a work colleague, but I’ll run away screaming from having to commit to “one more thing on my list!” So I got to tease myself into it gently. You’ll see me report on it soon, I bet. Yes, I’m the weird-o! LOL

@funshipfreddie I’m so happy that you’re also recovering!

Have a great weekend, all!

USA. Day 3. FD

Thank you, stitchincarol, for shepherding us through February.

Couldn’t online until now but I am happy for another month. I think I am beginning to find a way to eat that works for me through lots of trial and error.

Have a great day, everyone! 🙂

Day 4 Auckland NFD 77.1kg🏃🏼‍♀️

I’ve completed my wkly 150’ of power walking.
    I’ve touched something on my phone twice and have lost my posts so I think I’ll call it quits and go and do something…
    Have a good Sunday!

Day 4 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

Slept really well last night, for the first time in over a week. I was only woken after 7 am by a very hungry moggie 😻

@northgeorgia – good to hear you’re on the mend too!

@stitchincarol – I think I’m more likely to follow a You Tube video than a book. It’s so much easier to follow along with a fitness routine onscreen. And I don’t have any issues with not moving enough. I never have my first meal before I’ve walked for at least 20 minutes anyway. If we eat every day, then we should be exercising, or at least moving every day. I’m usually on foot when I buy most of my groceries & I carry them home; but I’m definitely going to start using my dumbbells more. My appetite was back with a vengeance yesterday. I felt like I’d been sitting for most of the day, but my Fitbit disagrees, & it says I clocked up 6200 steps & I had ’54 active minutes’ 😇⭐️

Happy S🌞nday!

Pocket List – Day 4 🥚
    @funshipfreddie

Day 4 UK f800

Had a lovely couple of days watching rugby and indulging in a few 🍺 and feel as though I need to get back to my routine today

Had a quick look on Amazon @stitchincarol but the one book I liked the sound of was pretty expensive I think with exercise the key is finding something you enjoy and I’m pretty happy just now

Have a great Sunday all

Pocket List – Day 4 🥚
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle

Day 4 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 225 lbs. Well, despite the suspension of my fast last week due to illness, I’m only a few ounces heavier than last Sunday. I am planning to do a B2B WFD, with another FD probably on Wednesday (looks very busy with no mandatory meals!) I have a scratchy throat trying to menace me the last two days. Hopefully, it’s just from decongestion and not something else trying to set up shop. Wow, going to the doctor’s office for a wellness visit is a perilous event!

I ought to have plenty of activities today for fitness: scrubbing the tub and sink, doing the dishes, mopping the floors, taking out the trash, doing a little repotting. Not bad for a rainy day forecasted ahead. Probably be going up and down the stairs a bit, too.

Pocket List – Day 4 🥚
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle
    @northgeorgia

Day 4 – Ireland – NFD 🚫 ✅ 🚶‍♂️ 🌾

Hi all
    Lovely longish cycle this morning with friends. 75km in pretty windy weather but fab to be back out on the bike. I have flopped on the sofa since 😄 …
    We have a bank holiday tomorrow – our new holiday celebrating St Brigid- so may not get to do my usual FD as will be out on a day trip with some girlfriends 🚗 🌼 ❎

Onward and downward ⬇️

USA. Day 4. FD

Pocket List – Day 4 🥚
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle
    @northgeorgia
    @ccco

Second post…

I was sitting here… still… thinking wow, what a group!I looked back at the January losses and decided to tot them up.. over 44 lbs/20ish Kg. ⭐️⭐️ a jam packed check in suits case even 😂 that is simply incredible! Bravo to
    you all!!

I have to say not one of those lbs was mine but will be end February 💪

Ps.. @at and @merryapple I love the icons on the spreadsheet 🥰

Day 5 Auckland FD 77.1 kg 🏃🏼‍♀️

I did a 2 min wall sit and counted 50 sit ups last evening. Today my stomach muscles are fine, thanks to Mr Mac I presume, but I can feel my pecs on both sides… Unexpected! I shouted myself a new Bendon sports bra. The styles have completely changed since I last purchased one and I am held in place like I’ve got a Sergeant Major on my back. Wonderful for posture!!
    @funshipfreddie Pleased to hear you’re no longer incarcerated and are feeling good. Look out Line Dancers!!
    @northgeorgia I think it’s a great approach to get your 5:2 sorted then add in exercise. That’s what I did and I’m enjoying my power walking way more knowing my hips and knees aren’t crumbling under my weight!
    @brightonbelle and @at That’s the problem with sports watching – the bonhomie, the beer and feet up!!! We’re still in the cricket season and there is a 4 day test on between the NZ Black Caps and SA Proteas in Tauranga. I walk two sides of Eden Park on my regular walk which is good inspiration to be active rather than just be a couch potato, especially if I see the cricketers in the nets!!
    @at That’s so lovely to bake a birthday cake for your elderly friend. I do miss doing a lot of baking… My favourite biscuit recipe at the moment is for Flap Jacks. This makes a crispy chewy gingery treacley biscuit that dogs 🐻‍❄️ can smell a mile off! I usually halve the recipe and use a small cookie cutter.

FLAP JACKS (makes 2 trays, halve for one tray)
    8oz rolled oats
    8oz SR Flour
    1tsp baking powder
    Pinch of salt
    3 tsps ground ginger

6oz black treacle
    6oz butter
    6oz brown and/or white sugar

Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl
    Melt butter, sugar and treacle together and pour onto dry ingredients
    Knead lightly before rolling out and cutting into thinnish rounds
    Bake for around 12 minutes at 190c or 180 fan
    Sore in an airtight container

@stitchincarol Thank you for this topic. It’s really timely for me and has shifted my focus onto exercise rather than just food! As @penz will tell you pizza and beer is such a staple!! I perfected pizza making at home in a cast iron pan. I roll out the dough, put it in a hot cast iron pan and turn up the gas while I add the prepared toppings. Then in it goes into a 220c (hot) oven for 15 minutes.
    @cocco Good on you! We all have to find a way to make this WoL work and the only way is to stick at it until you sort out your own path. If I look back on my tracker most of the bouncing around is during my initial weight loss which theoretically should be the easiest time to lose…
    @jaifaim You make me laugh lying on the couch totting up our losses like a bean counter!! And after a magnificent bike ride too. No wonder you’re on the couch!
    I wonder if MM keeps tabs on this website? It’s very generous of him although it is a promo for his books which I imagine many people purchase.

Onward and downward one and all!!

Pocket List 🌴
    @merry🍎
    @teneer
    @at
    @fastingnurse

Day 5 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 69.8 kg

Nailed my Sunday FD 💪 Slept like a log again. I’m still coughing a little & it feels like my body is still trying to repair the damage caused by the virus.

Brits the # 1 biccy munchers 😅 🍪
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13042709/Brits-worlds-biggest-biccy-eaters-average-three-day.html

‘Just 2 Minutes of Walking After a Meal Is Surprisingly Good for You’
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/04/well/move/walking-after-eating-blood-sugar.html

Sending RESOLVE to the Monday fasters 🎯

Day 5 UK f800

Monday morning always a bit of a restart for me , this week’s additional goals – up the exercise a bit , stay on track with water kefir ( which I’ve restarted after a long break ) and prepare for big dentist appointment on Friday

Pocket List 🌴
    @merry🍎
    @teneer
    @at
    @fastingnurse
    @brightonbelle

Day 5 – UK – FD
    Day 4 – NFD

The birthday coffee morning went well and the cakes were enjoyed by all – my friend had a lovely start to her 83rd year

Day 4 had a drizzly start but managed a 5.5mile walk, then met with friends for brunch for a catch up 🤗

Trying to sort out renewal of car insurance as our current insurance have quoted a very silly number 🤬to renew and I am sure that we can find something a lot cheaper……why do the insurance company do this every year??????

Pocket List 🌴
    @merry🍎
    @teneer
    @at
    @fastingnurse
    @brightonbelle

Day 5, London, UK, FD,

Morning all!! (I almost made it🤭)

@at, my car insurance renewal quote was more than double last years!!! I did a quick compare the market search and found one £100 cheaper than last year. There are NO rewards for loyalty these days, just big companies trying to shaft the little guys!!😡😡

@stitchincarol, I’m definitely a ‘C’ with ‘A’ aspirations!!! This month is a timely reminder to get some sort of fitness routine going, I had planned to walk with Leslie throughout Jaunty January, but instead I focussed on food choices and staying ‘Dry’!!! This month will be another dry-ish one as it’s my B’day on the 24th, so I’ll replicate Dry-ish January (4 days 🍷🍷ski-trip) and have a couple of days off to celebrate with a 🍷🍷or ten!!! I think I have my food choices sorted, so there’s no excuse not to get myself moving again!! I would love to get back to Pilates, but I’m usually commuting when the classes start😩😢😩

I’m snowed under at work and already counting down towards the weekend!!!🤭🤭

Boiled eggs & avocado for lunch today then a prawn fried cauli-rice dinner, probably 600 cals, but I had a -2lb whoosh overnight, possibly due to the 17,000 steps my BFF & I did on our usual Sunday walk. Now I have to make a ½ hour lunchtime walk then a 30-45min walk with Leslie in the evenings my new routine!!!🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

Must dash, keep the faith folks!!!

“Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.” — Winston Churchill

Pocket List 🌴
    @merry🍎
    @teneer
    @at
    @fastingnurse
    @brightonbelle
    @flourbaby

Day 5 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 222 lbs. Throat and ears still a bit scratchy, and not sure if it’s from the post-ailment drainage or if it’s “something else.” The Chloraseptic may have messed up my metabolism a bit during the WFD, but ah well! I also had a couple of small shots of pickle juice to keep the electrolytes up. Anyway, another FD today. Not sure yet if a WFD or a FD500. Also not sure if tomorrow and/or Wednesday will be my next FD… Tomorrow looks pretty busy, too!

Good luck to us on the:

Pocket List 🌴 – Day 5
    @merry🍎
    @teneer
    @at
    @fastingnurse
    @brightonbelle
    @northgeorgia

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 284 total)

You must be logged in to reply.