Fish Oil and fasting

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone could help with this query please? I’m a long-time user of Melrose Fish Oil 10mls per day which is extremely effective in controlling arthritic pain in my knees. After several emails, I finally persuaded the makers to reveal the number of calories in 10mls – 90. Might not seem like much considering its benefits but, as it’s nearly 20% of my ‘fast day’ calorie allowance, I wonder whether I should ‘suck it up’ and only consume 410 other calories on fast days – or give up the fish oil on fast days.

I appreciate that, if I am successful in getting some weight off (and keeping it off in the long-term), my knee problem will be greatly assisted anyway. On the other hand, when I’ve stopped taking the fish oil for short periods or substituted it with capsules (mostly for holidays abroad), I notice a rapid decline in pain and inflammation.

Other than that, my first fast day has gone very well. Thoroughly enjoyed the ‘Hairy Bikers’ Healthy Cottage Pie’. Not so keen on black tea but I’ll get used to it I’m sure. Thanks!

Hi thinatlast

I also use Melrose Fish Oil and, as I often have fish as a fast day meal, I use it to ‘anoint’ my fish fillets before wrapping them in baking paper and microwaving – adds a pleasant lemony nuance.

For other fast meals I add it as a salad dressing or as a substitute for other oils as in stuffed mushrooms and the like. I don’t seem to notice the alleged fishy taste. That may be my dull palate though 😉

Thanks so much NickyF, I did actually wonder whether it could be used in cooking – and using it as a dressing is a great idea. Maybe with some chopped chilli to disguise any fishy taste!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.