First Day of 5:2

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  smitty2276 9 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• I’ve chosen Wednesdays and Sundays as my fast days so today is my first fast day! I’ve tried juicing before but I wanted to take a different approach with the 5:2 diet. I was reading up on the benefits of bone broth so I made a huge pot of it last night and brought about 6 cups worth into work. I wanted to take the guess work out of counting 500 calories to see if it would help me stop obsessing over the idea of food (I don’t know why I’m prone to thinking about my next meal when I’m not even hungry.) I want to use this as a mental/habit changing exercise and not let my body dictate what I waste energy thinking about each day to concentrate on more productive thoughts. So far I woke up at 6am and it’s 10:31am and I’m on my 2nd cup of broth. Its very satisfying taste wise. I’m also drinking none sweetened hot teas and water through out the day. Even though I’m by no means “full” I do feel mentally clearer and physically “cleaner” if any of you have experienced this. I want to get to a point where I only pay attention to food when I’m absolutely hungry and not just as a distraction.

Hi Smitty 2276, hope your first day is going well. I can completely understand the feelings you describe, I adore the feeling I get when fasting, feeling cleaner. It like the control over what I eat too when I am fasting it makes me feel great to know I am totally in control (although I am no saint!)

Keeping yourself hydrated with low cal/no calorie liquids is a great way of getting through the day, some other fast buddys of mine make hot broth with oxo cubes, fairly low calorie but tasty too. I like the sound of the broth you have made, might give it a whirl myself too.

Homemade soups are my thing!
    And staying hydrated a big thumbs up!
    I like to use tomato soups too with low calorie mixed vegtables.
    For the anti oxidants.
    I also drink green tea with lemon and stevia a lot.

Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement and YEAH! I made it through 1 of 2! I have to switch my Sunday to Friday since friends want to hang out this weekend (FINALLY weather is turning in NYC) and I don’t want to put off a day. I did have up and down moments today but I’ve decided to keep an electronic journal to track what’s going when I’m having those “moments”. I have to say journaling has really gotten me through my day. I can pinpoint certain behaviors that trigger non essential eating patterns in my life (already a big breakthrough on day 1!) I ended up watching the Eat, Fast and Live Longer documentary at the end of the work day and that also helped. What resonated with me was when Michael Mosley initially went on the 3 day fast, he talked about how hungry he felt sometimes and how hunger comes more like waves which is spot on! The extreme hunger did come on as waves (I only had 2 moments today at 10:30am then at 3:30pm my usual “snack times”) when I thought what the hell am I doing, but then I sipped on my bone broth at those times and was fine within 15mins. I’ve been well hydrated today with uber amounts of water (need to find less bitter teas they hurt my tummy) but all in all a huge success for me. I plan on meditating tonight b/c fasting is supposed to help go deeper quicker into the calm zone.

Absolutely try the bone broth soup! It helped satiate the beast within and I didn’t get crabby once! 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.