Fine On Fasting Day;Terrible After Midnight

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Medical conditions and fasting
Fine On Fasting Day;Terrible After Midnight

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Starman@21 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Hi,
    My problem is that I believe I have an eating disorder.I wake up most nights after midnight and go to the cupboard and eat raw porridge oats and semi-skimmed milk or maybe a small tortilla wrap with loads of lettuce.I have done this for years.My wife thinks this is a habit.I don`t-I purposefully tell myself not to go to the kitchen in the early hours but I seem to be in a trance.I know this sounds stupid.I am so down the next day when I realise what I have done.Although sometimes I cannot remember what I have eaten until late afternoon on the same day.
    I don`t think I have a lot of weight to lose.I am currently 12st 2lbs.I want to get down to 11st 7lbs.I should add that I was 12st 10lbs on January 16th when I started the 5:2 diet.I lost 6lbs in week one,stalled on week two,and lost 2lbs on week three.
    I have not weighed myself since until today noting that I am still 12st 2lbs.
    However I have decided to pick up my 3 times a week exercise programme again to try to lose the extra weight.I will swim my 30 lengths today,bike six miles to work tomorrow and go on my 5-mile walk on Thursday.
    The thing is I find it easy to stick to my 600 calories on Monday and Thursday fasting days.But my fasting ends about midnight and not at breakfast,say at 08:00,the following day.I cannot seem to change this disorder.P.S. I take one Citalopram anti depressant tablet each morning.I don`t know if this has anything to do with it.
    My apologies for the length of this post.This is my first post.I wanted some help!Thank you all!
    Stephen

Hi there Stephen
    I dont think your Citalopram has anything to do with your problem, as I take this drug also, have done for 5 years and as far as I can tell it has not impacted my appetite.
    I think this problem of yours is purely a habit that your brain has come to accept as the”norm”. The fact that you chose dry oats and milk and low fat tortillas and lettuce seems to suggest to me that you are not craving high nutrition values, merely stomach filling bulk. This points me to think that the problem is coming from the mental side, and not the physical one.
    I would try some relaxation therapy – maybe a short course of hypnotherapy to retrain your brain. I dont think you have a lot to worry about, as you have a small amount of weight to lose and your regime sounds good and healthy. If you can train your brain to stop feeling the need during sleep, then you should kill the habit for good.

I wish you good luck with your journey. Please come back if you feel that I can make any further suggestions to help you.

Thank you for your speedy reply.I have just completed my fifth and final hypnotherapy session.At first,we dealt with anxiety which I believe I have now overcome.In recent weeks I have been listening to a my hypnotherapists voice via a relaxation tape.If I am honest with myself,perhaps I need to listen to it on a each night before bedtime.I find this quite difficult as I often have late nights turning in about 23:00.I dont really want to retire as early as my lovely wife who always goes to bed early at 21:00 due to her MS.Your suggestion is a good one and I will try my best to be sensible.Many thanks again for now.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.