Advice or buddy please?? Fell off wagon & want to kick start FD again

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Soul Support, chat and encourage
Advice or buddy please?? Fell off wagon & want to kick start FD again

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  katser12 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Hi there,
    Started FD May 2013 and lost 7lbs very slowly in space of approx year.

Im 42 and mini! Only 5 ft tall and started FD last May to lose approx 10lbs, not much I know but I used it be a few stone heavier which came off over the years and now just want get rid of last stubborn 10lbs!!

I’m reasonably active, 20 min cycle to work there & back, bit of yoga, odd run and have a creative job that is semi physical.

In the past year I have dabbled with cleaner eating, as in less refined food etc.
    I also take high strength Fish Oils, Vit D, and Turmeric capsules.

BUT…

In recent months I’ve really struggled to stick to 5:2 and my old eating habits have returned, carb overload, binge eating, wine etc…. And have now put weight on again.

Not sure what’s happened to let things slide and have recently sabotaged fast days quite frequently again and again.
    Feel crap with myself which I know is terrible and self sabotaging.

With the onset on cooler days, winter, and dare I say it Christmas, I really want to kick start FD again because I thoroughly enjoyed all the mental and physical benefits when I lost weight with it last year.

BUT I feel quite scared and nervous about restarting : /

Curious about others who have fell off wagon or are in similar situation, would appreciate any advice or buddy/buddies

I think when you are in this sort of phase, there is some hormonal downturn going on somewhere in your body.

It could be seratonin. It could be something else but you can have sub clinical levels of seratonin which affect your energy and appetite. If you don’t think you need antidepressants, you could try eating more foods that have higher levels of seratonin in them. Believe it or not there are such foods. I don’t know what they are or if eating them translates to making your recoer but its worth a try i guess. Have a look at this good article on nutrition wonderland.com about seratonin. they have other goods articles about other hormones there too.

Secondly, Ditch the pills and eat better food. Instead of a fish oil, grill a piece of atlantic salmon and make a nice little salad to go with it and whatever else you feel like.

Do you really need to take vitamin D. Are you low? If not milk is high in Vitamin D and so is sunshine.

Increase your fibre foods. These are good for overall health and longevity. Fibre foods – fruit and vegetables, beans lentils chickpeas are all delicious and you can have fun cooking them into new ways with a little effort. Meanwhile fruit is easy you don’t even have to cook it. Add some seeds and a small number of nuts and some natural yoghurt and you have a delicious healthy meal or snack.

Are you eating enough protein?

GEt into cooking. I bought a beautiful cook book recently called mediterranean cookbook. And i’ve made quite a few recipes. All are easy and all are delicious. All are really healthy. well except for the desserts if you over indulge.

I’ve quit sugar. Try that. It will help you get on top of your eating. Count calories and just reduce them a little from your TDEE.

But read or look at something motivational. I suggest if you’ve seen the fasting program already, take a look at catalyst-gut reaction. That should motivate you to increase your fibre intake. There are two short episodes. Its a science show and is reputable. You can see it on your tube.

Or read The End of Overeating by Kessler. The first half runs through a number of little experiments to demonstrate that sugar and fat and fat and salt are a problem and how the food industry has been manipulating us all along. This will motivate you to quit your refined lifestyle. The second half is about strategies to overcome it. Most of the strategies he talks about things i’ve already worked out for myself but no one talks about usually. I can say they work because i have been using them all year.

I hope you feel better soon and will be ready to go for it by the time you’ve finished reading the book i recommend.

But there are other easy ways. One of my favourite diet books is called The Don’t Go Hungry Diet by Dr Amanda Sainsbury Salis. Her idea of dieting is not to go on a diet at all. She’s a scientist and has had big weight issues her self which she has solved by using this intuitive approach. I like the way she explains some important concepts and i use her approach to supplement my calorie restriction approach. She talks about the important of eating a wide variety of whole foods as well.

hey!! dont ever b that hard on urself-the fact that u r posting it means that u really care about ur health…im only in my 2nd wk but lovin jt-im a binge eater and drinker so for me im doin alternate day fasting and loving it-im losing already even tho im sitting here binge eating and drinking on my feast day:) ill do this till i get to my goal then do 5:2 to maintain for the rest of my life-u do need willpower to succeed tho and i do recommend when u want to cheat to think of ur health instead of ur weight ie: lowering ur igf1 ad Michael discusses… good luck!!

I was on the FD about a year and a half ago for about 5 months. I lost about 35 lbs. I lost about 10 lbs pretty quick and then leveled off to about 1 to 2 lbs a week. Not really sure why I got off but as a stress eater I have put it back on. I too am getting back on the FD 5 2 as of today. For me it wasn’t that hard on my fast days as I tried to keep my meals simple. At first I started out on low cal low card low fat foods and after a while mostly just started watching the calories. Monday and Thursday were my fast days and I would usually do two 300 cal meals a day with no snacks between. Would limit my beverages to water , unsweet tea and a diet soda or 2 on my days. On the other 5 days I ate whatever kinda foods I wanted but did not over eat on those days. This is also how I plan on starting back. Just don’t be to hard on yourself. Good Luck to ya !!!

Hi little lotus I too have fallen off the wagon. Last year I lost about 10lbs in about 9 months(not very impressive) but for the first time ever felt better and loved going on summer holiday and being able to wear nice clothes!!! However, since the summer, weight has gradually crept up and now I feel (and look) awful!!!!!! I so want to get back to my lower weight so have started today. I NEED/WANT to lose 10lbs by Christmas. So,here goes. Good luck with your diet too.Please let me know how you are doing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.