Feeling hungry on 1st fast day ..

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Celmotte1984 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

• Hi everyone
    It’s my first time at the 5:2 way of life (I don’t like the word “diet”) and I must say with the best will in the world, it’s been a tough first fast day.
    The smells coming from the kitchen right now are driving me nuts : my partner is cooking our sausage casserole meal for tomorrow, and I’m struggling to not sample any of it Right Now!
    This morning, I had a tiny breakfast of one egg, spinach and mushrooms. Although delicious… it looked so small on my normal size plate, normally full of food! Learning number one: on fast days, use small plates ๐Ÿ™‚
    For lunch, vegetarian pรขtรฉ it was. More filling at 200 calories, but here we are 5 hours later and I am literally starving. Fortunately, Mediterranean mackerel is on the way.
    It’s so hard resisting having a glass of wine with it, or nibbles whilst cooking.
    So what I really would like to know is: tips and hints everyone for keeping off temptation during fast days? All suggestions and ideas welcome and thanked in advance x

Hi fasting_me
    I saw a reply from you, which I got notified about in an email. However, when looking on the blog itself, I can’t see your reply. I want to say thank you, your tips are all very good and I’m taking them on-board.. any tips for viewing replies on here?? ๐Ÿ™‚ Technology might be playing tricks on me again..

Hi Celmotte,

I am by no means experienced but am new enough to also struggle on FDs at times. Things that have helped me:
    – remember that hunger comes in cycles, it doesn’t just keep intensifying, so I just need to ride it out for 20mins or so before the pangs subside
    – drink lots of water!
    – distract myself (I skip dinner, so on FDs I go to hot yoga in the evening, take a long bath, have an early night, go for a long walk with my dog etc – basically do things that either put me out of the vicinity of the kitchen or kill my appetite (like a bath).

Other than that I think just trust that you will get used to it over time! Also many people here find that not eating until dinner is easiest – that way they don’t “wake up” their hunger early on in the day.

Thank you MJ0911, all good tips too. I try to drink lots as well which distracts me from the hunger. I will give a try to having 250 cal for breakfast, skipping lunch and having dinner. Although on a work day, that might prove very hard with everyone around having lunch. Time for me to go on an hour walk though ๐Ÿ™‚

Hello again, Celmotte.
    I think I know what the problem was with viewing my response to you: I got an email from the tech admin for this [thefastdiet] site, saying that they removed some of my posts. I was unaware [my error] of the fact that I couldn’t mention any other website [I guess my blog qualifies as such ??] on this website.
    Not saying this to complain about it, just letting you know why you couldn’t find the message.
    Sounds as if MJ0911 has similar tricks for beating the Big H.

Good luck to both of you. Hope your next Fast Day will be a successful one. I lost 1.2 pounds yesterday, so today and tomorrow I can relax and do some splurging.

Hi celmotte,

I’m fairly new to 5:2, 2 weeks and 4 fast days to be correct! First week was hard but honestly finding it so much easier now especially since I stood on the scales this morn and found out I’m 4.5kg lighter, will be alot of water weight. Hope to lose 1lb a week from now on. Things that work for me on fast days are..

Drink lots of water ( big glass before anyone starts cooking in the house always helps)

Eat from around 11am onwards works better for me to skip breaky ( have your water ready for when you first wake up)

If you are tempted by a bar of chocolate, tell yourself you can have it but have it tomorrow on a non fast day.

Some foods that I find great on fast days..

Bananas
    Ryvita
    Babybell ( on ryvita with cucumber)
    Mushrooms ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Pickled onions
    Soups ( with one slice of wholegrain bread if you don’t mind eating carbs on fast days)
    Chocolate covered nuts for a sweet treat

Tell yourself you can do it!

Just ordered the Fast days cookbook by Laura Herring as it had great reveiws. It’s coming today can’t wait!

Hope this info helps!

Thank you weeman… all very, very useful stuff! ๐Ÿ™‚

Fasting_me, that explains!
    I was baffled that I could see your message on my emails but not on here ๐Ÿ™‚
    Thank you everyone so far, all your hints and tips have been put to good use.
    I’m on my third fasting day today and I haven’t weighed yet – think I’m gonna leave that for after the end of week 2. My Fast Diet book has just arrived and I started reading it at work today – couldn’t wait!
    I’m feeling quite hungry today, but surviving ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi Celmotte1984
    I started last week, first fast day was the hardest, then day 2 wasn’t as bad. It might not be the right way of doing it but, during the day if I feel hungry I either have a massive glass of water or a black coffee.
    I realised how much snacking I do.
    I have 3 small meals, there is no way I can sit through lunch with everyone else eating.
    Cereal in the morning with coconut milk because less calories than normal milk.
    Salad for lunch and tea I have stir fry.
    Keep going, it will be worth I’m sure (and hoping) ๐Ÿ˜€

Hey Slogan
    It’s the same for me. No way I could not eat whilst my partner eats his breakfast and dinner in front of me. He’s underweight so I don’t want him to lose any more weight and have to find ways he can put on weight whilst I try to lose some… if we were both in the same boat, it would be so much easier !
    I’m yet to finish reading the book and understand the better ways to do this, as I fear I’m almost missing important tricks at the moment. Like, for example: when to eat. It seems to be an important point Michael and Mimi make at the beginning of the book. What to eat seems to matter to.
    So I’m waiting to find out some more and hopefully do it right and get results. I’m not a massive fan of exercising so I know I’ll have to be very strict on the food side to compensate for the lack of exercise. Although I do very long walks (20 miles) at the weekends so that should surely count ๐Ÿ™‚
    Good luck to you as well
    Celine

Celine, don’t worry too much about the additional exercise, all of my initial weight loss (around 2 stone) was down to diet change, it is only the last few weeks I’ve increased my exercise levels and am finding I enjoy it much more than I used to. Most of the calories that you burn on a daily basis come from your resting metabolism.

I have found that I need to avoid breakfast on a fast day as once I start eating I feel more hunger, and I have almost completely stopped eating cereal as the sugar content in most cereals is surprisingly high. To feel full for longer try to replace processed carbs with protein – my go to breakfast is now usually defrosted frozen berries with thick natural yoghurt (greek or icelandic which have more protein, less sugar, and tend to be thicker and set). It’s surprising given their sweetness how much less sugar (and hence calories) there are in berries than in some other fruits. Other than that, hydration is key. As soon as you feel hungry, drink something and see if the feeling passes.

I now find fast days easier to manage than none fast days.

Have to agree about breakfast cereal. Might as well eat a bowl of sugar. The concept of eating breakfast cereal was started by Dr Kellogg, a very disturbed individual, at the turn of the last century to minimise people’s sexual desires!! Somehow over the years it morphed into a “healthy breakfast” concept.

I don’t know about others, but after doing 5:2 for a while I’ve gotten to the point where sugary things are way too sweet for my taste. There are times where I’ll reach for a piece of chocolate or a granola bar but then put it back because I think of how sickeningly sweet it is and that I’ll physically feel awful after eating it.

Even things like peanut butter (which I used to love) are too sweet for me. Now if I have a taste for peanut butter I’ll mix some peanut flour with water, add a tiny bit of table salt and eat that. Not quite peanut butter but close enough for me.

Bronx

Lauren, I never knew how bad cereals were until we started reading the Blood Sugar Diet and realised that a bowl of cereals is packed full of sugar! I have since completely removed them from my diet (especially since my partner and I are doing low-carb eating since last year) and I have seen massive improvements on how full I feel for much longer in the morning. I used to be hungry always around 10am after having eaten a huge bowl of cereals at 8am. Now that I eat eggs, yoghurt and other health, low carb things in the morning, I go on until lunchtime before feeling hunger pains.
    It’s my 4th day today of fasting (2nd week), and I have had hunger pains this morning but drank a full glass of water each time and they just passed. I was quite pleased.
    I am further down the Fast diet book now and am concerned about reading that it is better to eat two x 250 calorie meals on a fasting day than what I do: 100 calorie breakfast, 200 calorie lunch and dinner. I really don’t see how I would manage without eating 3 times a day. Also, as I haven’t got to the recipes yet, I’m finding it hard to really stick to the calorie counts. My breakfast this morning for instance went slightly over budget, at 112 calories. I thought a piece of trout and vegs for dinner tonight would be fine, but turns out the trout fillet alone will be well over 200 calories! So I’m going to eat half of it only..
    Anyone facing similar struggles?

Bronx, I wouldn’t be able to comment as I have never had a sweet tooth. Yesterday, our office was packed with lunch leftovers that meeting attendees hadn’t touched, and although everyone went straight for the cakes, I stuck with sandwiches and wraps, no sweets or cake for me. It just doesn’t tempt me at all. I overdid it on the rest though and felt bad, as I’m not sure doing things this way (eating without thinking) on a normal day, means I’ll still lose weight if I do the fasting days properly… Surely what you eat on normal days also counts?

Celmotte,

I know exactly how you feel. Eating without being mindful of how much I’m eating has been my problem my entire life. I still fall into that trap sometimes and don’t think that’s ever going to change for me. If you find a way to overcome this I’d sure like to hear the details.

Bronx

@celmotte1984 Have a look through some of the threads, everyone does this their own way as they experiment to find what works. The general consensus seems to be that keeping your eating to the smallest window you can on a fast day works best, but everyone does it different. I find that if I skip breakfast I can go longer without being hungry and sometimes only have an evening meal on a fast day. Some people have more than 500 calories as they can’t manage on that. I’ve found some nice flavoured teas and coffees which help make the day more interesting than just water.

As for none fast days – have you calculated your TDEE on the BMI calculator page? If you regularly exceed that significantly then you will struggle to lose weight. The idea is that if you stick to TDEE as an upper limit then you have a constant calorie deficit and your body will have to burn it’s fat stores.

If you have an overindulgent meal / day then just make sure you reset and take a little more care the next few days. I do find it’s more difficult to eat less after over indulging, but also that I feel bloated and uncomfortable and I have to be mindful of not falling into old habits and comfort eating through that and making myself feel worse.

I’m now 3.5 months in and my appetite has reduced massively. I calorie count every day, but just because that works for me, my brain loves numbers. Find some way of monitoring your portion control so you know what a healthy portion looks like as that is the easiest way for the calories to mount up.

Also, some veggies are worse than others for calorie count – incorporating lots of leafy greens gets you a lot of food for very few calories and they can be very filling. Root veg have a high sugar / carb content and quickly rack up.

Hey Lauren
    Thanks for your reply. I find the same as you: if I overeat one day, it’s hard to fast the next day and really feels like a privation.
    My 4th fast day ended up being quite tough, but I think I generally wasn’t feeling good that day: headaches and feeling dizzy. The advice from the book was to forget the fast if you feel unwell, and I probably should have done that. I was back to my normal self the day after, so I’m not sure whether to blame fasting for how I felt.
    This week, I’m going to do this differently and try 2 meals of 250 calories on my fast days, which are tomorrow (Monday) and Friday. The logic being this is: the week-end has been a good week-end food wise, so it feels right to make up for this tomorrow Monday. Friday will be just before the week-end and right after our off-site team event on Thursday, so again it feels right to have a fast day after that.
    I am a bit worried I will miss lunch and will feel weak and hungry, but we’ll see how it goes.
    I weighed myself on the 4th fast day in the morning, and my weight hasn’t shifted: 62.4 kgs still. I haven’t put on weight though, which is a good thing ๐Ÿ™‚
    In terms of how I feel, it’s still same old, but it’s probably way too early to start counting my chickens. I am giving this at least 3 months, unlike any diet I tried before. Food wise so far, it has been so easy that it’s almost too easy, unlike anything I tried before… and that’s the big plus!
    Thanks everyone who is commenting on this thread, I’d love to hear more from you on how you cope with your fast days.. keep posting!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply.