fat girl slim 4 life

This topic contains 38 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Nika 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

• Hi Everyone,

I have just read the book “The fast diet” The secret of intermittent fasting….Lose weight, Stay healthy. So far I am intrigued enough to give it a go.

As of this morning, I weigh 80Kg and I am 5 foot 5. My BMI must be around 30, but I will have to work that one out. I can definately be described as solid. I have been a gym junky in my younger days and even then was never slim, so I am hoping that this may be the lifestyle change that I am looking for. It is nearly bedtime here in Australia, so I will be starting tomorrow morning, being Monday 9th September, 2013. Wish me luck on my first fasting day. I am about to go and work out the calories for breakfast and dinner, so that I can be organised and ready to face the day.

I will pop back tomorrow night and let you know how I went.

Jenn

Hello and welcome, Good luck Jen, i will be looking for your post tomorrow to see how you got on xx

OK, ready for tomorrow.

Good luck!

Hi Jenn, good luck – day 1 may be difficult but it definitely gets easier. Let us know hw you get on 🙂

Hi Jenn – wishing all the best as you embark on this plan. Some good advice is to take your starting measurements (waist, bust etc.) on your first day. I never did do this but I wish I had!

Hi Jenn – good luck, I’m in Hobart and can recommend just water on fast days, no tantalising of taste buds, clean palate etc. It does work (either way, 500 cals or nil), I’ve gone from 90.8 to 75. You are right about your BMI, 30.11. Site below to do easy calculation each weigh-in. And StephB is right, measure everything!

http://www0.health.nsw.gov.au/publichealth/healthpromotion/obesity/bmi.asp

Lots of water, sugar/cream free coffee/tea helps a lot. I avoid eating until after 6PM, giving me about 20+ hours fasting. I have a cup of tea around 3PM that comes to under 30cal.

There are lot of posts by Dr Mosley, Jeanius on how to manage.

Best wishes and stay strong 🙂

Good luck

There is a calculator on the website if you wanted to work out your bmi – http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/

Wow, hi everyone,

What a wonderful welcome. It is so nice to log back on and see smiling faces and great advice from people that are already getting results.

I weighed myself this morning on new scales and found that my actual weight was 83.3kg. More than I thought. Makes me more determined than ever to make this work. Thanks to Vicki for the link to BMI website, I can tell you that BMI is 30.60.
    I have stuck to Vicki’s advice for clean tastebuds, drinking water all day, other than a coffee at breakfast. I was surprised how much water I drank and not making trips to toilet as often as I thought I would be. (Sorry if that is too much information).

Meal Plan for 500 calories was as follows:

Breakfast at 7.30am
    Eggs poached x2 147 cal
    Long Black Coffee 2 cal
    1/2 cup Raspberries 32 cal
    Almond Milk Unsweet 22 cal = 203 Cal

Dinner at 7.30pm
    Homemade Chilli Con Carne 225 cal
    Chedder Cheese grated 35 cal
    Lettuce (under Chilli) 5 cal
    Almond Milk Unsweetened 22 cal = 490 Cal in total.

I went out for a walk around the MCG at lunchtime and then a shorter walk while my daughter was at netball practice.

HOW DO I FEEL THE DAY WENT?
    I loved it. I felt in control and powerful that I could make the decision not to eat anything. Every time that I felt a niggle of hunger, I just drank a glass of water. I am amazed that I got through the day as easily as I did. I look forward to the next fast, to test my will power. I know that it was easier cause I knew that it was just one day, but it felt good. I have energy and do not feel tired.

Thank Puny for the calculator on website. I have to have a good look around. Sivasankar, I am not sure that I could do 20 hours as you do. Amazing. Perhaps I can work up to it.

I hope to visit all of your post shortly. Have a great day. Jenn

I’m glad you’ve had such a great positive start.

If you are finding the water a bit dull you can always add a slice of lemon or lime to it to liven it up.

It’s quite telling isn’t it?

“I know that it was easier cause I knew that it was just one day, but it felt good.” Exactly! It’s just one day.

You can say “No” to anything for just one day and you never have to compromise on any other day. No eating a garden salad on a works lunch, no sacrificing your chocolate/cake/sausage roll love on the alter of Weight Watchers forever. It’s just for one day.

And I love what you said about feeling powerful. I love that feeling too 😉

hello Jenn, im so pleased your first day went so well, you have a great attitiude for success.

Tracy you sum up this plan for me “You can say “No” to anything for just one day”

i always look forward to my monday fasts after a weekend of treats, and it does feel like such an achivement after each fast day, very empowering! how amazing we are all feeling the same things about this plan. xx

Hi again,

DAY 2 – Normal eating day.

Today was good, but weird. I kept thinking that I didn’t want to wreck all the good work I did yesterday, so, I ate, but I was aware, and the funny thing was I didn’t eat as much as usual. I was satisfied earlier in the meal and so did not have my usual hot chocolate after lunch, or snack when the kids got home from school, and dinner was smaller too. Weird, but if all this is part of how you are supposed to feel then great, it can only work in my favour.

Fast Day again for me tomorrow. I think that I managed so well on my first cause I was organised and at work. Tomorrow will be my first fast day at home. I am hoping that I can keep busy enough to push the thoughts of food out of my brain and not go to the fridge. I am going to put a sticky note on the fridge so that I don’t open it. It is a habit I have, just to go to the fridge and open it and stand there for a short while, deciding what too eat. I don’t want it to be something that I do tomorrow and before I know it, I’ve eaten something that I was not in my calorie count. Stay strong.

Guess I will let you know how it all goes tomorrow. I am about to plan tomorrows breakfast and dinner. Must be prepared.

I know that we aren’t supposed to weight in everyday, but as I am new to this I have decided to weigh in the morning after each fast day to see how it works. This morning I had lost 0.9kg. Pretty happy with that, but after today, who knows.

Bye Jenn

P.s. Puny, Fast for Life and TracyJ, thanks so much for the visit. I would love to hear how you are all going with “the fast diet” and anyone else for that matter. Please let me know.

hi again Jenn, really pleased to hear from you. in answer to your question..
    its going Great thank you, ive been doing this eating lifestyle for just over a year now, have dropped 41 lbs 3 dress sizes, and about 15 inches from all over, its been the best eating plan ive ever done in my life, im seeing sizes i havent seen since i was in my teens, i dont see myself ever needing to diet again and tell everyone who asks how ive done it. im still as excited as i was on day one! xx

Hi Jenn, good luck with your day at home tomorrow! I can relate so well to that ingrained habit of wandering into the kitchen, pulling open the fridge and scanning the contents for something (anything!) to snack on. I find it SO much easier to fast when I am busy at work – in fact I often go the entire day without a single hunger pang. Let us know how you get on 🙂

Hi Jenn, I seem to be very similar to Fast for life. I’ve been doing this for just over 13 months now, I’ve lost about 44lb (I never took a start reading or measured myself so I don’t know exactly) and I was a 16 on the bottom and a 14/16 on top but now I’m in 12s all over and they’re a bit baggy. I was what you might call a ‘chubby’ teenager and have never actually seen the inside of a size 10 before in my life (I now have a pair of 10s in the wardrobe and they do fit – Ah, such a lovely feeling), as I went straight from children’s sizes to 14/16s during puberty and never lost enough weight to get down to any smaller sizes for the following 20 years. As you can imagine I am a BIG fan of 5:2. It really has changed my life and I do try to pass it on as much as I possibly can.

Hi again Jenn – glad your nonfast day went so well. I have also found that I eat less generally. I have been doing the fasting since late January (with a 5 week gap in July/August with the terrible flu thing that hit Hobart) and have lost 16kg (from 90.8 to 74.7 TODAY!!!). Only another 5 to go. But the really good news is cholesterol (from 7.2 to 5.4) and Tryglicerides (from 3.2 to 0.8) – so no more threat of the dreaded type 2! I don’t eat on fast days, just water, so am doing 2 x 40 hour fasts a week – the really funny thing is I cook for my husband and sit with my water while he eats and drinks his wine. I have found that (for me at least) its habit, not hunger. The really good thing is, when you do have a lapse, and I have had a few, that you can “fix it” the next day without feeling guilty or that you have failed (as we have all been made to feel with all those diets over the years).
    It is a lifechanger and I’m committed for life in one way or another

Ladies, your stories are amazing. I am so inspired. I love to hear how you have traveled your journeys.

Yesterday was my 2nd fast day. It was definitely harder as I was at home all day, but I managed to get a walk in and my meals were as follows:

Breakfast at 7.30am
    Eggs poached x2 147 cal
    Long Black Coffee 2 cal
    1/2 cup Raspberries 32 cal
    Almond Milk Unsweetened 22 cal = 203 Cal

Dinner at 7.30pm
    Dry Roasted Pumpkin 58 cal
    Tomato Fresh 5 cal
    Green beans 18 cal
    Hot Roast Chicken 150g 246 cal = Total 530 Cal

My water intake was back up there, like on my first fast day. I made a cake for the family yesterday and twice I put the mixture to my mouth and then though, “what am I doing”? It did not make it into my mouth. Good new is this morning I weighed in and another 1kg gone forever, that’s 1.9kg in my first 3 days of the program. Results that I have not got on any other program, while still being able to eat what you like on the normal days. I am amazed.

DAY 4 & 5 – Normal Eating.

I have eaten normally on these days, having something sweet if I want, but finding that only a small piece is enough to satisfy me. A glass of water with a meal and I feel really full, almost uncomfortable, so I have decided to eat a much smaller portion for free day meals and have the water and see if I feel a little more comfortable.

Sorry if this is boring for people to read, but it is also a diary of my journey for me. To work out thoughts and be really honest with myself as I have never been before. To face the mirror and really voice how I am doing, feeling and changing.

For me, there is no underlying reason why I have eaten in the past, I just love food, cooking and seeing others enjoy my food. It is an escape for me. So, having 5:2 means that I can still enjoy the food and cooking the food, and if I listen to my body about having smaller portions then I should be able to have my cake and eat it too. Sounds good in theory, lets hope that it works.

Jenn

Hi Jenn, just catching up on your posts, its so busy here now they soon move down the forum, keep on posting im enjoying reading all about your journey xx

Hi

DAY 6 & 7

I am not sure if I can explain, but these days that I can eat what I want are strange. I haven’t eaten as much as I normally would as I am aware that I don’t want to go backwards too much, I also am full quicker anyway and it feels like I am cheating if I have something that I know I shouldn’t. This feeling comes from the old sort of diet that is impressed in my mind from years of dieting every single day. I think that I am having a mental fight with myself, trying to wrap my mind around a fantastic new way to live. I know that this program works as I have read so many success stories on here. Maybe I am going to have to prove it too myself before I can accept the full concept of the program. Does/did anyone else feel like this? Jenn

Hi fatgirlslim4life – I don’t think you should fight against that feeling at all – I think that you have explained exactly how 5:2 has an impact – that you no longer WANT to overeat or indulge for the most part and are careful about what you put in your mouth. As we lose weight we should be eating less on non fast days anyway – keep checking your TDEE as it goes down as you do). What’s great is that we can enjoy our food and still not want to eat too much, Win win, I think! There is no eating plan that allows you to binge on exactly what you feel like AND slim down/stay healthy, even with 2 fast days per week. I think your body is just doing what IF intends; normal, but relatively careful eating 5 days a week, and indulging in small ways from time to time (not every day)and enjoying that indulgence.

Good morning Jenn, being aware of what your eating and feeling full quicker are both things that took me quite some time to achive, i do understand the feelings of guilt around food.
    Humphrey has given you some sound advice and has expressed it far better than i could. xx

Hi Guys, Humphrey and Fast for life, you are right. I realise that I should not fight what is right. Thanks for talking sense to me.

1ST FAST DAY – WEEK 2
    I prefer fast days. I like the way I feel. I don’t feel too full after a meal. I feel great. I have noticed with my increase in water, it really does fill you up and even though I drink less on the non fast days, I have still been drinking a reasonable amount of water compared to before the fast diet, therefore it is giving me an uncomfortable full feeling, even though I have reduced my meal sizes, I think I am going to have to further reduce meals.

Breakfast 7.30am

Eggs poached x2 147 cal
    Long Black Coffee 2 cal
    1/2 cup Blueberries 41 cal
    Almond Milk Unsweetened 22 cal = 212 Cals

At lunchtime I took a walk around the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) -144 Cal

Dinner 8.00pm

Lamb Steak 100G 192 Cal
    Dry Baked Pumpkin 1/2 Cup 58 Cal
    Green Beans 100g 18 Cal
    Broccoli 1/3 cup 18 Cal = 286 Cal Total = 501 Cal

Love Fast Days.

2ND FAST DAY – WEEK 2

Having a lovely day today. It started with an hour long walk and then an hour long massage, a warm shower and a spot of shopping.

Breakfast 7.30am

2x Eggs scrambled with fresh coriander 140 cal
    1/2 cup of blueberries 41 cal
    Long Black Coffee 2 cal = 183 cal

Heaps of water and another long black.

Dinner tonight at 7.30 will be

Gummy Shark 200g 210 cal
    Cooked Tomato 35 cal
    1/2 cup wilted spinach 24 cal = 269 cal Total 452 cal

Feeling great. Really relaxed. Hope the feeling lasts for the day and the kids don’t shatter my zone.

Jenn

P.S. I cleaned the house as it. It is my day off work.

That does sound like a lovely day, except for cleaning the house LOL. I should eat more blueberries but find them a bit tart in the UK. Hope the rest of your day is as enjoyable and relaxing 🙂

i agree sounds like a great day, im fasting today as well, looking forward to my winter soup later, fingers crossed it carrys on into your evening jenn, xx

Thanks Ladies,

I weighed in the morning at 81.0kg. Was hoping for less and I think that I would have been, but that time of the month and I always seem to put on at this time, so am really happy with the result. I am 0.4kg down on last week and 2.3kg down in total. Never to be seen again. Not bad for 1 week and four days work. Jenn

3rd FAST DAY – Week 2

Today I am doing a 3rd fast day. Haven’t done this before, but had a spare day and as I like the fast days thought that I would give it a go.

Breakfast was at 9am as I slept in (weekend)
    2x Eggs scrambled with fresh coriander 140 cal
    1/2 cup of blueberries 41 cal
    Long Black Coffee 2 cal
    1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk 22 Cal = 205 Cal

Dinner 8pm
    Chicken 100g 246 Cal
    Broccoli 1/2 cup 28 Cal
    Red Onion 10 Cal
    Red Capsicum 23 Cal
    Rice Bran oil 4ml 32 Cal = 340 Cal

Close enough = 544 Cal. Anyway, I think that this might help make up for earlier this week.

I had to throw out a pair of my favourite, comfortable black jeans today cause there was a hole in the top of the leg at the back cause it wears. All I have now is a smaller, tighter, much more uncomfortable pair of denim jeans that I can struggle into, cause I dont want to spend money on a new pair as I am hoping that they will not fit for long. Maybe the tight pair will act as a reminder that I should not put anything too bad for me in my mouth on the days off. Jenn

1st Fast Day – Week 3

Today was a hard day. It is school holidays in Australia and kids hubby and myself went for a drive to the coast. We went for a lovely walk along the beach in the sunshine. Of course having 2 teenagers they were hungry and wanting to go to a cafe for lunch. Well I sat there thru milkshakes, fish and chips, margarita pizza with fresh basil and hubby had a caesar salad and a beer. I was strong and only ordered water and a macchiato coffee. I could feel myself getting angry inside. It was a real strain. Could not wait to get out of there. Didn’t say anything, but they were all saying “this is really nice” etc. I know they weren’t trying to be cruel, but I did feel like I was missing out. This was a spur of the minute decision to go on day trip and I had already committed myself to the idea of doing a fast day as I will find it hard this week to change around things that are already in place. Anyway, I am at the other end of the day now and have survived.

Breakfast 7.30am
    2 poached eggs 140 Cal
    1/2 cup berries 41 Cal
    Long Black Coffee 2 Cal = 183 Cal

Dinner 8.00pm
    Cauliflower Rice 1 Cup 29 Cal
    Bolognaise Sauce 1/3 Cup 150 Cal
    Sprinkle of Parmesan 6 Cal
    Homemade Yoghurt 1/2 cup 107 Cal = 292 Cal Total = 459 Cal

@ fat girl slim 4 life
    “I could feel myself getting angry inside. It was a real strain. Could not wait to get out of there. ”

I commend you for your tenacity and success.

I don’t get the anger that you felt. Your triumph is a cause for celebration, even if it’s an inward celebration and not shared with others.

What would you do differently next time, if anything?

Hi Rockyromero,

Thanks for your advice. I guess looking back on this now, I did not need to get angry as it was my decision to fast, that’s what I would try to do differently. But i must say that it was not a conscious decision to feel the anger, it just welled up inside me. I will try to take control of that next time.

Jenn

Hi Jenn, it takes great self awareness to identify the emotion and then to choose not to react to it so well done for that.

Something that has worked for me is the following technique:

Sit in a chair, remember how it was for you, how you felt at the time and get right back into it.

Then stand up, step away, look at the you still sitting in the moment and analyse what was going on objectively. What advice would you give that person sitting there?

It’s sometimes quite surprising what insights I have had from this technique.

All the very best, Annie x

@ Annie Somerset
    “Something that has worked for me is the following technique:
    Sit in a chair, remember how it was for you, how you felt at the time and get right back into it.
    Then stand up, step away, look at the you still sitting in the moment and analyse what was going on objectively. What advice would you give that person sitting there?”

Great technique, Annie.

I’ve found that I could do this also by visualizing, depending on the situation.

Hi,

Annie Somerset – I will give that a go. I should have taken a breathe and walked to the toilet for a small break. Visualizing could be the way to go.

Just wanted to put down that I have dropped 3kg in 2weeks and 4 days. Extremely happy with my progress. Very motivated to keep going.

Jenn

Jenn – congratulations on the weight loss – it is hard but it gets easier! I think you are doing brilliantly 🙂

Hi all,

Haven’t been here for a while now but have been continuing 5:2. Still think that it is wonderful. Total loss 4.5kg which I am happy about.

I am having a problem with my periods. The are coming more frequently now that I am 5:2ing and are lighter (which is fantastic), but the frequency is too quick. Initially I was 28 days on the nose, then after starting this WOE it became 3 weeks and now 2 weeks. Went to the doctor today to see what can be done. Am having an ultrasound this week to see if anything show up as a problem.

Cathyork, thanks for your positive comments. It has become easier to fast and even when people are eating in front of me. I have a handle on that now.

Jenn

Hey Slim! Hmmm not good to hear about your periods, hope they’ll “clear up”. I’m on the pill myself so haven’t noticed anything changing there myself… Haven’t heard about it earlier either.
    Let us know how the ultrasound turned out, hopefully it’s nothing big!

It was interesting to read through your journey so far. I do recognise that feeling of “anger”, but I tend to call it frustration – when I just can’t sit still and just HAVE to eat and every second seems to crawl by without eating. It’s a very, very uncomfortable feeling… So good on you for pushing through then!

I think you’re doing amazing and should keep up the great work!!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply.