Fasting with MS

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  wannabeslimmer 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• I’m keen to start intermittant fasting as the weight loss will be good for me.

Ive had Ms since 2009 and am wondering if i’m ok to start?

Hi andyhop – there is limited evidence regarding IF and MS but seems to suggest that there may be potential benefit as a result of the anti inflammatory effects of fasting. You may be interested to see a discussion thread on the MS society web site http://www.mssociety.org.uk/forum/everyday-living/intermittent-fasting52-diet. Good luck and let us know how you get on if you decide to try it. Best wishes, Michael

I’ve had MS for 25 years and I have been on the fast diet for 4 weeks. I’m feeling a lot less ‘foggy’ mentally. Still not able to jump for joy(!) but I’m sure you should have a go at this diet . My MS has not got any worse whilst on the fast days and they are not difficult. Just keep up the liquids, tea, coffee or water. Good luck!

I was diagnosed with rrms 16 years ago and am having good results with this diet and today I weighed myself, I have lost 7 pounds in 5 weeks ๐Ÿ™‚

Diagnosed 18 years ago. I have been doing 5:2 for 4 weeks. Have not weighed myself yet, but clothes feel big. No effects on the MS … still in remission. This is way easier than anything else I have tried.

Way to go Lisa. I agree this is easy. Good luck ๐Ÿ™‚

Been on fast diet for 6 month with MS.
    Several of my MS symptoms (eg.bladder control and restless legs)have disappeared
    But I’m not losing weight other than muscles ๐Ÿ™ Iยดm thinking about going to fasting every other day.

I suffer with bladder problems. Hope this diet helps them. Way to go Per a ๐Ÿ™‚

I have Primary Progressive MS which means that it is less about inflammation, more about nerve degeneration. After 11 years of steady decline I am now in a wheelchair and obviously pretty immobile, although I can just about get around at home with crutches, holding on to furniture and helpful husband. This, coupled with being 63 and almost through menopause, has contributed to a bit of weight gain, mainly around my tummy and midriff which I detest, I do not eat that much. Really – that is not a myth on my part.. I like the 5 2 diet in that because I do not get very hungry, so fasting days are not hard and eat very healthily on other days. I have also noticed that I have a little more energy when fasting, whereas a meal can incapacitate me afterwards. My problem is that when I started this regime in early January I weighed 73.8 kg. When I weighed myself this morning, 8 weeks later, I weighed 73.8 kg. I was the same a month ago and vowed to leave it a month before weighing myself again so that any change would be more apparent. I feel healthier in myself but am very disappointed in the lack of any weight loss and am still with the tummy. I have increased things to to 2 days eating, one fasting. No difference. Whilst I am sure it would help to be more active, I am a bit restricted in what I can do, and it can be exhausting doing anything other than ordinary daily tasks. I do not take medication for my kind of MS so that can’t be a cause. I am sure I do not need 2000 calories a day so aim for 1400 on non fast days, and around 350 on fasting days. I would welcome some kind of advice or explanation, but feel that there is probably always an exception to a rule, and maybe I am it. I would appreciate Michael’s comments and others with same experience. Thank you.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.