Fasting with an under active thyroid

This topic contains 32 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  muquba 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

• Hi

I have been on the Fast Diet for seven weeks now and I feel great!

I am 5ft 3″ and was 10st 10lbs when I started. I am now 10st 5lbs. Having said that, my main reason for starting on the Fast Diet was to lower my cholesterol which at the moment is 7.4. I have just received a call from my doctor this morning telling me that when they were checking my cholesterol they have discovered that I have ‘slightly raised’ thyroid levels, which indicate that I could be developing an under active thyroid. I have read that people with under active thyroids should consume 1000 calories a day. Bearing this in mind, do you think I can still continue with the Fast Diet? Like I said, I feel great on it and do not want to give up this dietary way of life.

Well I’ve been on the diet for 17 weeks . I had thyroid cancer so take artificial thyroxine and have to keep it low so it does mirror
    Under active thyroid. I’ve lost 20 lbs and my blood tests after 12 weeks really surprised even my doctor. My cholesterol had dropped from 5.9 to 4 and my liver function was twice as good as it has been in years. But the really surprising thing was my body seemed to be using the thyroxine more efficiently and although I had taken the same dose for many years my blood showed I had more than the maximum dose(19) in my blood stream so the doctor has dropped my dose back by 25mg. What has that meant well whilst I haven’t continued to lose weight at the same rate at least it has gone up. I’m sticking with the 5:2 and hope the weight loss returns…

Hi,

I’v been hypothyroid (= underactive thyroid) since probably 2003, diagnosed in 2005 (Hashimoto’s disease, an auto-immune disease) and on levothyroxine since 2005.
    In the ten years I’ve been hypo I only gained weight (only 22 lbs so I couldn’t complain really)and never managed to lose anything (until 5:2). My cholesterol was a bit high as well (all hypo patients need to monitor their cholesterol).

I started 5:2 (2 fasts of 24 hrs/week) in November last year and managed to lose 13 lbs so far. Not only that, my cholesterol was 205 mg/dl(over 190 is high) last year and two weeks ago it was only 162 mg/dl !
    My risk factor is now considered LOW at 2.5 (low = 2.5 – 3.7) !

I’m not sure where you read that hypos can only eat 1000 calories a day, that is rubbish. So by all means, keep doing the 5:2 diet ! It’s a healthy way to lose weight and get your cholesterol levels down, even for hypos !

Cheers, Carla

Ah, and here I was hoping for an extra 500 calories for dinner, hehe.
    I was diagnosed hypothyroid at 6 and have been on thyroxine ever since, currently 300mcg daily which is quite high.
    I’ve always struggled to lose weight, but gain it far too easily and have tried every eating plan going but get bored with being restricted, so I’m hoping that this will work for me.
    First day of fasting today and its going ok apart from a mild headache 🙂

Thank you all for your quick responses.

You all seem to be having really positive results which has strengthened my conviction that I should continue with this diet.

The blood test I had, which tested my cholesterol and highlighted the raised TSH levels, was in April. I am going back to the doctors on 9th July for a further blood test; it will be interesting to see if there are any positive changes.

Carla, I can’t find the site where I found the information about the 1000 calories. I think it said people with under active thyroids shouldn’t eat less than 1000 calories a day. I may have misread it as I was skipping from one site to the other. Anyway, not to worry.

Thanks again, wishing you all good health!

Nina

Hi, I’ve had Hashimotos for the last 6 years. I’m really hoping this regime helps me because absolutely nothing else has and I hate carrying this weight and feeling SO awful. Wish me luck!!

Hi Helliam,

It might go slow but keep it up and you’ll be rewarded !

Good luck !
    Carla

Good forum post for me – so many comments hit home. I’m been hypo since i was 19 (hiereditary from my Mum apparetly) and constantly sit between 175mh and 200mg. I’ve struggled with my weight forever (or so it seems) and i’m desperately trying NOT to pass this lifestyle of yoyo dieting/depression/poor body image onto my 2 young daughters. Seeing me still eating (i try and limit during the day on fast days so I can still have some semblance of meal with them in the night) hopefully won’t seem like Mum’s on yet another diet but is still fat etc etc.

I’m 10 days/3 fasts in (and depressingly enough weighed in at 0.1kg more this morning) but i’m sticking at it as I reckion it can take a week or so to get into it (allowing for time of the month etc) – and maybe having an underactive thyroid does slow the kicking in of this plan a touch??

Will be interesting to see my next bloods re TSH etc and if there been any effect on these? Odd one for me too is that my Choloesterol is verging on the too low (sits between 2 and 2.5?!) which can actually inhibits hormone production – hoping that all the benefits of 5:2 just level my whole system out (plus obviously the 20kgs that i so want to lose!)

Good luck to everyone and keep the positive posts coming to keep me going please 🙂

I to have a under active thyroid & have tried every diet & herbal slimming tablets ever. Starting my first fasting day tomorrow just hope can do it ,seems my last chance !

To Wacey, I feel EXACTLY the same. This is the last thing I’m going to try. If this doesn’t make any difference I’m just going to have to get over myself! To Carla, Thanks! I’ve done one fast day and it was surprisingly tolerable. I only really had two periods during the 12 hours that I really struggled with. Tomorrow I’m doing my second day of fasting and I’m actually looking forward to it. It’s kind of cleansing!

I’m so happy I found this thread. I’ve just finished a ten day fast to cleanse and I have an under-active thyroid, so I’m very keen to try and keep off the weight that I’ve lost. Thyroids can be so tricky when weight loss is concerned and this approach sounds healthy and effective. I just have one question, though – do the days that I fast need to be consecutive or can I do one at the beginning of the week and another at the end?

As you will see in many of the threads here we all do a great variety of fasting day options–it’s whatever suits you and hence this WOE will be something you can keep up–the great thing is say you planned for a Thursday fast, for example, and you have an unexpected dinner invite–you can go and enjoy yourself and opt for a different fast day.
    Some find 2 day fasts too hard, others get into the groove.
    I have had an underactive thyroid for 20 yrs (always on 50mcg )–have lost 7 kg on this regime (but 18kg altogether but those other 11kgs were blood sweat and tears)). Had tried heaps of other approaches but the fasting diet sure works for me and for the first time in years I feel energized and with a good sense of well being–I started in November so its been slow but steady–and I am so grateful for this forum, especially during the plateau times.
    Have changed my thyroid meds to night time–works well and the added bonus is that even on non fast days I don’t snack after my evening meal because I need an empty tummy. All the best to all of us hypos and hypers.

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone knows the best time to eat on a fast day, if taking levothyroxine for hypothyroidism?

I usually take my dose as soon as I wake up, then eat breakfast 30 minutes later. Would it be advisable to wait until lunchtime to eat that day’s 500 calories?

Thanks 🙂

Hi There Everyone
    I have been hypo for 2 years now and although modified my eating habits by portion control have not managed to lose weight. I believe this is due to the Levothyroxine.
    This is my second fast day and so am pleased to say the two days have been successful as far as controlling my appetite goes. And so I am hoping to continue with this style of eating until I lose 10lbs.
    If successful I will carefully monitor my weight and try the 6.1.
    I start the day by taking my medication together with a large glass of water and have my 500cal meal at 6pm. During the day I have been drinking lots of water and about 3 cups of tea or coffee.
    I am hoping that not only can I shift the weight at last, but improve my skin which is not good, again I think due to the medication.
    Would be pleased to hear from anyone else in a similar situation.

You should take thyroid medication by itself, without any other medications, on an empty stomach. I take mine in the middle of the night when I go to the restroom. Also, take NO STATIN DRUGS WHATSOEVER as they interfere with the TSH test.

Hi I too am struggling to lose weight and have been successful with 5:2 few years ago since being on levothyroxine weight is piling on. I want to start fasting again but I have read conflicting articles some say fast for 36 hours and some, if you have low thyroid, fast for 24 hours anyone have any advice about this please

Hi janeandmoses, I’m a thyroid patient. I was diagnosed with Hashimotos in 2009 and also developed a related problem of adrenal insufficiency. What I want to point out here is that if one is treating thyroid with the necessary amount of replacement hormone then technically one is no longer considered ‘low thyroid’. I take thyroid hormone replacement and have continual blood tests to confirm the effectiveness of my medication and the blood test results show that I have as much thyroid in my blood stream as anyone with a fully functioning and healthy thyroid. So, because of my medication I am no longer ‘low thyroid’ and can fast for 36 hours, no problem.

I want to also add that the TSH test is not a measure of thyroid hormone in the body. It is only a measure of a hormone in the brain that stimulates the thyroid. TSH is short for ‘Thyroid Stimulating Hormone’ and the higher the level is simply that the brain is producing more of this hormone to prod the thyroid into action.

To truly test one’s levels of thyroid hormones these tests for these are helpful:

Free T3
    Free T4

Thyroxine or Synthroid are T4 only medications. T4 is only a storage hormone and our bodies have to convert this into T3 the active hormone. Many of us do not convert T4 medications into T3 very efficiently and when our health is compromised our body will sometimes convert the T4 into something called ‘Reverse T3’ which is an impostor type hormone that is useless and actually serves to prevent T3 from entering the cells. For this reason it can also be useful to measure Reverse T3 (RT3) since there is a calculation one can use as a discovery step which helps in determining whether or not FT3/RT# numbers are at a healthy ratio.

Why am I mentioning all this? …Because when my doctors only looked at TSH and not the other markers, I remained hypothyroid even though the TSH made it look like I was fine! Because I remained hypo I seemed to pile on the pounds and didn’t seem to be able to lose any weight no matter what I did or how little I ate. Once the complete set of markers were measured and my medication and dosing were accordingly adjusted, not only was I again able to lose weight but I also began to feel much better. Hope this isn’t too complicated.

Hi Lael, thank you that’s a really informative reply. I will print this and take it with me when I next see the Dr the only thing is, here in the uk I don’t think they will do these tests on the NHS and there is no way I could afford to have them done privately. It’s definitely worth a try though.

Before I do that I better have at least a month of being really good and sticking to the plan so I can show them what I’ve eaten and to let them see how really difficult it is for me to lose weight.

Thank you
    Jane

Hi janeandmoses, I understand how difficult it is for any patient to secure funded full thyroid panel tests. I’m pretty sure it is universal medical practice to diagnose and treat thyroid problems via TSH alone. Many doctors scoff at the idea of needing to test anything but TSH.

The other thing is that often when doctors do offer full thyroid panel to patients, they then use the lab ranges as a guide. My personal experience is that the lab ranges can be misleading. I personally find that if my numbers are not in an optimal region of the range, I feel awful and thyroid symptoms persist. For example if my T3 and/or T4 are at low end of range, my experience is of weight sticking onto my body and not budging. When my numbers look like that my body temperature is typically under par which goes hand in hand with inability to shed pounds.

What I do to help me track how I’m traveling is to track body temperatures. I often take my temperature charts to my doctor’s office. This is because my doctor can’t argue with my temperature charts! They are objective fact. Here is an excellent article about tracking temps:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/temperature/

Hi lael sorry for delayed reply will have a go at taking my temperature does your temperature go up or down. I’ll have a look at the article cos I need to make an appointment I’ve been so tired lately fighting to stay awake at work. I did reduce my levothyroxine with dr knowledge and I wonder if that could be the cause of my tiredness!

Thank you for all your information as I said will print and take to dr and let you know how I get on.

How are you doing with your weight, are you at target and maintaining?

Jane

Hi Jane! Reducing your levo could very well contribute to your tiredness. Levo is effectively thyroid hormone which replaces the supply we are unable to make ourselves. Lowering your supply of thyroid hormone slows the metabolism. When I’ve experimented in raising or lowering my thyroid dose myself, I always track my symptoms such as energy levels as well as body temperature.

The article I posted explains all about temperature and the implications of too little or too much thyroid hormone. Too little tends to cause our temperatures to go down. Lower temperatures usually indicate lower metabolism and more difficulty shedding fat.

I’m doing very well with 5:2! My first goal was a stubborn 2 kg that I was never able to shed without feeling really hungery, strangely vulnerable and weak/fatigued! If ever I’d even lose a fraction of that 2 kg. I couldn’t help but eat to make up for it. I know this sounds strange, but dropping under that set weight always felt ‘wrong’ and I just couldn’t maintain it.

So, out of fear of past experience and because I have the history of both thyroid and adrenal issues, I started 5:2 slowly with a couple weeks of 6:1 for starters. All went well, so for past 2 weeks I’ve been doing the full 5:2 and so reached and maintained that 2 kg loss. This is new! I actually feel fantastic and almost want to pinch myself since it seemed so impossible just a couple months ago.

I could go on maintenance, though I’ve decided to continue on with the view of shedding more. This is because my age predisposes me to a higher fat percentage and lower muscle mass than when I was younger, so the 2 kg loss didn’t actually achieve the overall result I was looking for with the tape measure; which is a healthy waist circumference! In other words, I still carry an extra layer of fat around the middle that wasn’t there even back in 2012 when I weighed this same weight. So, I’ve decided to continue with 5:2 with a goal to return to my pre-menopause weight and hoping that by doing that, I’ll shift that extra padding around the middle!

One tip I’ll share is that were I to look at pounds on the scale alone, I might conclude that I’ve been on a plateau over the past 9 days. However, the tape measure says differently! My waist is actually half a centimeter smaller as of today and I have been tracking muscle mass, fat percentage and water weight also calculated by my scale and these have all improved! So, even though I’ve only shed a measly 100 grams of weight in the 9 days, I have evidence that my body composition is improving in quality on an underlying level which actually makes me very happy! I’m mentioning this because I could otherwise feel very frustrated that ‘nothing’ is really happening.

I’m going to get a thermometer and keep a record for a couple of weeks then take the list when I see the gp. If I read the article right I’ll take it 3 times per day starting when I wake up for 5 mins under my arm.

I’m going to try and avoid getting on the scale because I just get demotivated and give up but will start tomorrow (will weigh myself then as its the start) and take your advice and use the tape measure (not looking forward to that).

My fast day total is 370 cals which I might give a miss and just have water as its had to stop eating once started. Wish me luck

Jane

Can you explain take no Statins what so ever Do u mean just on the test day only . Please clarify
    I take statins every night and my Levo in the morning
    I have had a heart bypass and must pay attention to this too.

HI, i’m a 30 year old 5 ft 6 inch girl weighing 93 kilos, my husband threatens to leave me if i don’t lose weight in 2 months. I suffer from a slow thyroid so its really hard to lose the weight like everyone else. of course i also have a problem that i have been throwing up a lot lately and having diarrhea. the doctors cant help me anymore than they already have and its starting to feel like pressure.
    can someone please help me on a diet plan. I exercise frequently and still don’t loose weight! what’s wrong with me?

Hello chick,

I’m sorry to read about your vomiting and diarrhea. You’ve probably been down the track with experimenting on going gluten free, though thought to mention just in case. Celiac patients can have the symptoms you describe.

Are you thinking of giving 5:2 a try? I’ve found that it has helped me immensely. This forum is such good support and I’ve gotten a lot of tips. So as far as diet plans, I’d simply recommend the 5:2 plan for starters.

As far as having difficulty losing weight, if it is because of you having low thyroid function, I’m wondering if you are on any thyroid medication to help remedy this? If dosed properly, with the correct type of medication for your particular needs, it shouldn’t matter whether your own thyroid is low functioning because you would be taking adequate hormone replacement to enable your metabolism to function as well as someone with a healthy thyroid.

Hi chick and welcome:

I agree with Lael and simply recommend you do 5:2. It is not a fast weight loss diet so don’t try to make it one by doing something else or something different. Exercise won’t help you lose weight faster, eating less will. So focus on eating less and exercise after you have lost the weight you want to lose.

Here is how to do 5:2. The thread has all of the information you need to be successful. Focus on eating 500 cal. or less two days a week, and your TDEE or less the other five, and you will lose weight. https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Hello fatchick. I am totally appalled by the fact that your husband is threatening to leave you if you don’t lose weight!! Does he not value the vow of sickness and in health, shame!! I am having the same problem as you but have a more loving husband. I went on a low saturated fat eating plan years ago but that doesn’t help now that I have the hypothyroidism. Reducing alcohol helps as well as eating very small meals often.

hi all, getting ready for my first fast day on Monday. I’m 37, 1.75m and 74.4kg today and thoroughly fed up with myself as my weight has just crept up over the last few months and I feel like a blob. I feel slightly more positive from the fact that normally I hit 80kg before I realise I need to lose weight, so realising this now when there is less to lose is a victory in itself.
    I’ve been hypothyroid for 8 years, controlled with levothyroxine, but recently I’m wondering if the dose is right as alongside the weight gain some of my initial symptoms are returning (tiredness, coldness, low heart rate). Blood test due on Friday.
    How are you all getting on now?

This is the only diet that has worked for me in 9 years. I have lost half a stone in six weeks and am delighted as it is so easy. I have always been a confirmed Atkins dieter, but underactive thryroid spoiled all that. I don’t have much to lose and this plan has made all the difference.

I am approaching 70 and weigh the heaviest I have ever been. With under active thyroid weight loss seems almost impossible, even spent 6 months in a gym 3+ times a week, careful with diet and lost 7lbs. Lack of motivation makes a hard job harder, really need some help, some pointers, identification.

Grahame

I have not been able to lose any weight since being diagnosed with Hashimoto’s in 2009 until I tried the 5:2 fasting diet. So far I have lost 11lbs in 3 months and am finding it so easy. I can lose 1 lb a week if I do 2 fasting days. I can choose to have a few weeks without fasting, then start again and lose again. I tried everything before this and nothing worked. I am 68, fit and exercise daily. This diet has changed my life!

Can i do water fast for 4 days while taking my levothyroxine during fast or i have to stop taking it?
    i have hypothyroidism

Water fast is not for me anyway, but I wouldn’t recommend stopping thyroxine

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply.