Fasting when having normal weight and being active?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body General health
Fasting when having normal weight and being active?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  sissel_99 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Hello!
    We are a Norwegian couple (39 and 44 years) who saw the TV-program recently and got very interested in the health benefits of fasting. I am slim and not interested in loosing weight (I am about 56 kg and 169 cm), but I do want the health benefits. With my weight, can I still do this type of diet?

My husband is very active and trains quite hard on bicycle many times a week. He is also cycling to and from work every day (about 30 minutes each way). He is very interested in the preventive effects of the diet with regard to cardiovascular diseases, diabetes etc., while weight reduction is not his goal. With his activity level – is the 5-2 diet appropriate?

Thank you very much for tips and advices!

Welcome to the forum!

My understanding is that even if you do not want to lose weight you can do this diet.

You just have to make sure that you consume the missing weekly calories in the other 5 days.

Alternatively you could just fast one day per week?

Best wishes
    Stef.

Hi there.

I have started the diet very recently. I feel more enthusiastic about this than I have ever been about a diet plan. It certainly feels surprisingly good to fast, and low sugar appears to be the health holy grail!
    Having read the book though, I have one burning question.

Is the daily guideline of 2000/2400 calories that is generally accepted as the ‘norm’ applicable to all adults? Or is it just a sort of average, to be adjusted to individual circumstances? I find it hard to accept that it’s reasonable to have a 2000 daily calorie limit for me, a tiny framed woman, and barely 5ft 1″ in height, and apply the same condition to my friend who is almost a foot taller than me with bigger bones and longer limbs. I’m not even taking body fat, and activity levels into the equation here! Simply put,she is essentially a bigger machine to fuel!

The answer to this question determines the answer to my follow up question which as follows:

The book advises that maximum metabolic benefits of the diet occur when your calorie intake is reduced to 25% of your normal recommended amount, hence the 500/600 calorie allowance.

However does evidence suggest that the full weight loss, health and anti-ageing benefits associated with the diet require a strict adherence to the 500/600 fast day calorie allowance for everyone, regardless of their build and levels of activity or would certain individuals benefit more from having a higher intake than 500/600 calories on fast days?

Thanks for reading. I look forward to your comments.

Hi luckygirl and welcome to a new way of life. The posters on this forum are all supportive so you can ask any questions and it is more than likely you will get a supportive response. If you look to the top right side of the home page you will see several links including FAQs and HOW. Click on the How link and you will see the link to your TDEE. Fill in the questions and you will be given your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. (Your TDEE) You then calculate your 25% daily fasting calorie needs. Given your height and sight frame I suspect you will find your daily calorie intake will be under the 2000 average. if you browse the links and the site you will find you are not alone with your concerns.
    Good luck and keep us updated.

Hi sissel_99. Steff is correct about the one day a week fast for maintenance. If you click on the faq link on the top right of the page you will see a list of questions. Scroll down to the 2nd from bottom question re maintenance. Michael`s answer will show that by fasting one day a week you will still get some of the health benefits.
    You could also Google Dr Krista Varady who Michael quotes in his book. She has done some very good research about alternate day fasting and its impact on both weight loss and health benefits. While it may not be for you re weight loss she will hopefully give you further insight into the health benefits of fasting.
    Just to give you some further research as to how extreme fasting can have serious health benefits for diabetes 2 sufferers can I suggest you also Google the Newcastle University diet, (Dr Roy Taylor) for details. I agree this extreme diet is not for you but again it will show that fasting can bring about beneficial health benefits to certain people.
    Good luck

I started 5:2 fasting about one year ago with no need for weight loss. No major health issues just wanted to give it a try. I’m active with a little maintenance exercise tossed in. I fast Tuesdays and Thursdays by eating 500 calories at lunch. Getting tired when I run out of fuel is the only difficult part for me. The evening is not that bad I just go to bed but right before lunch I’m drinking a lot of water to keep my belly full and my eyes open. The benefits that keep me going are a laundry list of little things. Hay fever; gone, Heartburn after overdoing it with a meal; gone sinus issues preventing scuba; gone. General health has improved. Hope this helps, good luck.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I think we will go for a 6:1 diet to see how that works. And great to hear about your general health improvements Kansas. I do also have hay fever and dust allergy and it would be great if that vanished!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.