Fasting oh how I have missed you!

This topic contains 16 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Linds 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

• Hello all! Hope you all had a lovely Christmas full of good food and even better waistlines ha ha!

I stopped fasting on 19th December for the Christmas period and I ate….and ate and ate and ate! Chocolates (Lindor Cookies and Cream truffles OMG), carbs in all shapes and sizes (roast potatoes nom nom nom!) and much much more.

HOWEVER…I now feel like a compacted, bloated, heavy, stodgy mess. My “system” is all over the place and I think if I bloat anymore I will be able to float home above the traffic after work today lol. So I decided enough was enough, I had enjoyed my 10 day break from fasting and I didn’t want to feel crappy anymore, and I recommenced fasting today. And boy do I feel better! 16 hours into my fast, no food consumed yet, and I have not felt one hunger pang. Despite eating enough to see me through a small famine, my body is loving the respite. I can’t believe I abused my body by eating so badly for so many years, I don’t even know how I managed to keep it up. But that WOE is a thing of the past – Long live the 5:2 way! 2014 is going to be a fast-fuelled year 😀

How have you guys got on over Christmas? I’d love to hear your stories x

Hi NatashaD,
    my eating for England started the week before Christmas week, i fitted in one fast that week, last week i still did 2 fasts and put on 5 lbs over those 2 weeks, today im fasting and hope to again on thursday as thats the only other free day i have this week from food arranged meetings. my poor body has been abused and stuffed and it feels so good to be giving it a rest today.
    im looking forward to getting back to normal next week when i return to work, i still havent decided if im going to do 4 3 for a while to undo what ive gained, but whatever i do i know it will come off thanks to the 5 2 way of life.
    wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2014! xx

Hi NatashaD and fast for life,
    glad I’m not the only one! My last fast was also the 19th of December and since then I’ve been eating and drinking as if there was no tomorrow. Since my OH and I are both still off work for 2 more days our first fast will be Thursday – just 1 day this week to sort of ease back into our fasting routine. We do feel sluggish and look forward to fasting. So glad we found 5:2 🙂
    Happy, healthy and slim 2014 to all!

Also have done really badly over Christmas and am looking forward to fasting again – quite why I didn’t today or yesterday (as I had planned) I don’t know!
    Clearly lots of emotional eating over a pretty lonely Christmas. Habit, old bad habits that you ‘should’ eat over Christmas – or that’s what ‘people do’ are pretty ingrained..
    GGGRRR!
    Feel very disappointed with myself.
    But it is what it is.
    I can learn that although I love fasting, still this horrible preoccupation with food for comfort – to the extent that I feel quite ill – is standing right on my shoulder waiting to come screaming back if given half a chance.
    If I can learn that then this Christmas gluttony will have some point.

I wasn’t as naughty as I might have been thanks to the good lessons I’ve learned in 8 months of intermittent fasting, but I agree that it is possible to miss fasting, and to really look forward to a day of abstinence. The real good thing is that we don’t beat ourselves up for having a splurge, just get right back into it the next day or the next. I fail to finish most of the fast days I start – but I’m still trying. And even when I’m not losing weight, I’m not gaining any either.

I had hoped to weigh less than 140 and STAY below that benchmark thru the holidays. That comes under the heading of ‘the best laid plans of mice and men’. HOWEVER, I gained only 4 pounds over a 2 week period. My husband and I live alone and find it easy to set aside fast days as a rule. But when visiting our families – it’s a bit more difficult to refuse food, especially the traditional specialties of the season.

But this little setback doesn’t undo ALL the success I’ve had over the last several months. So I’m concentrating on forgiving myself and getting back in the routine. I still hope to achieve my goal before seeing my doctor in two months. And I feel wonderful in the new smaller sized clothes I received for Christmas from my husband.

Hey Speedy, I feel you! Won’t say “I know how you feel” because I don’t, but I’m also a big comfort eater. That’s how I gained the weight in the first place!
    I’m also a bit disappointed in myself, but we have to look forward (like you said) and just accept it as it is. No reason to get mad at oneself, because that only increases the need for comfort food!!

I’m going to make the most of the remaining 36 days I have before leaving for New Zealand. Not overexert myself, just mind what I eat and exercise when I feel like it (haven’t felt like it for weeks). Want to pass the halfway marker at least (towards my preliminary target weight)!

Nika, For the first I’m feeling again more positive again. So get back on that horse as well and see how far you get before NZ! 🙂
    Best wishes,

I’m hanging underneath the horse atm. So it’s kind of dragging me along, but because I’m blocking its legs he can’t run. He mostly stands still, sometimes takes a few bounds forward but sometimes also walks backwards – anything to get me out between his legs!!
    I’m hanging on for dear life though, thankfully he’s wearing a harness which is called the fast diet forum which has two very nice handles for hanging on 😉

interesting how many of you commented about feeling sluggish and bloated when not “fasting” – all those carbs I guess

anyway – me too!

yesterday was a failed fasting day which dissolved in some of the remaining xmas cake yesterday and finished off with fish and chips (bugger!)

today has replaced yesterday as day 1 of fasting and so far so good but dinner is already calling!

Hi Nick, Yes I certainly feel worse not fasting. I can’t decide if it is winter blues, my new bp pill 🙁 or not fasting!
    But fasting today. Just coffee and water till 12am tomorrow …
    Suddenly today I can fast again (so far!)

I read this post title a few days ago at a friends and literally laughed out loud! it resonated with me in its entirety!

1st fasting day today since before Xmas…. and I have looked forward to it. Apart from feeling a little tired (which is more likely as I flew home late on Saturday and got up early yesterday morning) – I feel great and certainly am NOT starving hungry like I usually am on a fast day. Carb overload – YES INDEED.

Happy new year everyone! Reading everyone’s tales really has been interesting as this is how I have been feeling exactly the same as you all. I started 5.2 July 13 and lost 25 lbs really loved the way of life. I was looking forward to a break over Xmas but missed my fast days!!!! Back on track today was not brave enough to weigh in though !!!!!! But feel so positive glad to be back in control. Good luck everyone look forward to hear how everyone is doing .

First time back on this forum for a while, was scanning topic headlines when I saw this and thought -YES- me too!

Really pleased to hear many of you are also in the same boat but also looking forward to getting back into the fasting routine… I veered off fasting during the first week of December and today is my first day back on. I had tracked everything on MyFitnessPal up until then but then stopped everything.

Funnily enough though i don’t feel deflated and – especially having read some of these posts – am looking forward to veering back on path. It doesn’t feel like i have been ‘on’ a diet and then ‘off’, just that i have been much much much less mindful and am now returning to that.

Good luck everyone!

Wow Im so pleased to see so many replies on this thread! I have loved reading your stories so keep them coming 😉

I did 2 days fasting last week no problem. I had intended to do ADF to kick the 3-4lbs I gained over Christmas but the willpower was just not there after two weeks of indulgence. So back onto 4:3 this week, day 1 today 🙂 I do feel much better even with the 2 fasts last week. Not so claggy and bloated. Having fasted realle well before Christmas and then stopping for two weeks, I am still so shocked to realise that I ate that way all the time before. Knowing how great my body feels when I fast now I never want to be that way again. Its just not comfortable.

How long did you guys take before your brain caught up with your stomach? I have found that I really cant eat as much as I used to, but when it comes to dishing up my food my brain is still programmed to eat what I used to. I am finding it really hard to find the balance. Anyone else?

I would never have thought I’d miss my fast days but after two weeks of ‘pigging out’ I am so glad to be back fasting today. I haven’t recorded anything on My Fitness Pal for two weeks either. Result…I gained 4lbs!!

Last night I was actually wondering how I was going to cope with my ‘first day back’ after all the eating I’ve been doing but today has been just great. I have had copious amounts of coffee (as I usually do) and I have a pot of vegetable soup on the stove and I’ll have a big bowlful for dinner followed by a yogurt and some fruit.

I’ve had 2 weeks off and gained 5lb!! I too was looking forward to fasting today. Being off work didn’t help as I find it easier to go all day without snacking etc. when I am at work. I don’t know why because they are still in my drawer – I am just not tempted the same.

Anyway I am back on the plan this week and hoping for good results. I had lost 14lb and, ideally I am hoping to lose at lease another 14lb – so that’s 19lb I need to lose now!!

I just wish we hadn’t had Christmas – I was doing so well – but New Year, new start!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply.