Fasting Induced DNA Repair Mode

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Couscous 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Fasting Induced DNA Repair Mode

Hello!
    My name is Sam , I live in the United States. Approx 2 years ago I watched Dr Mosely’s videos THE TRUTH ABOUT EXERISE, and EAT,FAST,LIVE LONGER. since then started 5:2 and went on to 4:3. I’ve increased my N.E.A.T. By taking a job in a warehouse where I walk many miles every work night. I also relearned how to jumprope  so that I may accomplish H.I.T or H.I.I.T. 7 days a week. In addition I also lift weights, and practice the 7 compound lifts 2-3 times per week.

To minimize my Heath Risks I don’t use tobacco, drink alcohol, or illegal drugs. I do however fast regularly, exercise often, and eat very healthy foods IMO more fish and less high sugar carbs. Starting at 274 lbs I’m down to 201 lbs.

What I’m interested in is getting a complete understanding of the DNA repair mode that occurs  when fasting.  I’m convinced that it a huge factor in longevity. Especially for those whom are improving their health later in life.

I am adjusting my eating pattern to try to get into this mode 2-3 times a week based on mine own understanding of it. I only have general knowledge  and am certain that this website, and forum may be the best place to ask for information about the. Natural DNA Repair Mode, and how to induce it through fasting.

To simplify,  currently I have 2 days a week where I fast with zero calorie intake for 27 hours.   I’m open to Information on wether this is enough time, or if there needs to be an extended 96hour fast to bring igf1 levels down first  for the 27 hours fasts .  
    27hrs is simply what’s doable for me, is a frivolous  number of hours I’ve settled on.  However if there is more information out there about the relationship between fasting and the DNA repair mode.  I may adjust those hours to match. I am interested in all levels of reading on the subject. So links to information will be appreciated. I am just very interested in finding out what current understanding of how to induce the DNA repair mode through fasting.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_repair
    Please help! 
    Thank you! 

My understanding is that when we eat, eat, eat the body goes into grow, grow, grow mode. Cells replicate but not always correctly. Cancerous cells grow out of control. You are likely to die EARLY of cancer, strokes, heart attacks etc etc

When we fast, the body goes into repair and recycle mode. Damaged cells and cancerous cells are repaired or broken down to be recycled. You are then likely to live longer and die of ‘old age’. This is CELL repair mode.

When cells divide the chromosomes split but become shorter. Too overcome this there are extra superfluous bits at the ends called Telomeres. When we get really old, the telomeres are used up and we start losing good bits off the ends and eventually die of ‘old age’ for no apparent reason.

Look in old graveyards – some people lived to around 100 but many died in childhood, and when young. Life expectancy was low. Advances in medicine and improvements in nutrition mean that fewer people die young. Life expectancy is now around 80, but the maximum life span is still around 100.

Hi SAMM

Congratulations on all you’ve achieved so far in you 5:2 journey Sam. Very inspiring!

Merry

Hello SAMM, I saw your post by chance and you pose a question that has some very complex and non-definitive answers. I would suggest you go to “Google Scholar”,type in your question ie “The effects of Fasting and DNA repair”. You will find many research documents on the subject both carried out on humans and on mice. I believe that there are no definite answers to your question but you will get some ideas of the amount of research being carried out. I also suggest you read updated research carried out by Valta Longo. In addition, “The Newcastle Diet”, developed by scientists at Newcastle University in Northumbria in the UK is a restricted calorie diet that has had good results in reversing Type2 diabetes and further research is being carried out. This shows that restricted diets can have a positive effect on health in one sphere of our lives.
    Good luck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.