Fasting and Type 1 Diabetes

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Purple Vegie Eater 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• I just wanted to let you know I have had type 1 diabetes for more than 30 years. When diagnosed at 20 years of age my weight was 47 kgs, over the years of constant intensive insulin therapy, 2 children and a good life my weight had increased to 70kgs. I had tried so many weight loss programs with no success, I just accepted that long term high insulin levels made it almost impossible to loose weight, I lead a very healthy lifestyle, exercised and ate very well. My Hb1 was usually about 7 so my physician was happy with my control and lifestyle, I just wanted to loose weight. My husband was addressing a liver issue when we saw your program and wanted to try the 5:2 diet so did I, against your recommendation. I began very carefully, having read your books and researching as much as possible then testing my BGL’s every hour and learning how my body responded we began. I have now been using the 5:2 for a year, I have lost 15kgs and kept it off, my Hb1 is currently 6.8 and my daily insulin use has decreased dramatically. On my fast days I use just long acting insulin until dinner when I have a bolus of short acting when I eat. This process has been so liberating for me knowing I can actually skip meals safely ( I have always been told ” you have to eat, don’t forget to eat …” I have better control of my diabetes, I am not constantly trying to add carbohydrates to meals but using my insulin more wisely. Perhaps some controlled research into fasting with diabetes may be in order, I know it has been fantastic for me but I am not recommending it for anyone else without medical support but thank you so much for the books they have been fantastic for us and yes my husband now has great LFT results, his doctor said he would live all patients to fix themselves!

Hi D1
    Fantastic. You are reflecting very much the experience my husband had with Type 2. With careful monitoring and gradually reducing your insulin you can achieve great things with fasting as a diabetic. Spread the word. I have been! Continued good health to you. You deserve it after taking control yourself. Well done. PVE 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply.