Fasting 5 days per week and stopped losing weight!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Fasting 5 days per week and stopped losing weight!

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  fitnfast 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Hi everyone.
    I am fasting for 3 weeks, 5 days per week and controling the amount of calories. Normally I would need 2300 calories to lose weight and during the fasting days I am consuming only 1500 per day. Weekend is normal, sometimes a bit more than necessary.
    I am 1,88 m and my weight was 103 Kg, now is 99,2, but I got stucked on this 99 kg. My goal is around 90 kg.
    I am jogging almost everyday, about 6 km per day, still nothing.
    I am fasting from monday to friday about 19 hours per day.
    What am I doing wrong or what should I do to improve the results?

I hope someone can help me.
    Thank you very much!!
    Luiz

Hello there.

I think restricting yourself to the set calorie intake for the 5:2 diet might suit you a bit better. 1500 calories a day seems a bit high. I am relatively new to the 5:2 diet but I can confirm it works very well. I was stuck on 11st for Months and in two weeks of 600 calories Monday and Thursday have lost 4lbs

Hope this is of some help
    Mark G

Hi Mark
    Do you think 1500 is high even if is done 5 days per week?
    What you are saying is that 5:2 with 600 calories is more effective than “2:5” with 1500 calories?

Read Simcoeluv.You are not doing it properly.

Luiz,

Why don’t you just try 5:2 ‘by the book’?

You appear to be daily calorie restricting for five days then overeating for two days. Not sure why you’re doing that or what you think you’ll achieve. Have you read the book?

You are eating 1500 calories and calling it a fast day? That sounds more like normal calorie restriction. When I was doing that I got to a point where I was losing muscle and building fat. I was also running at the time. For me, calorie restriction and working out isn’t a good combination, at least long term.

Luiz,

What you are doing is just calorie restriction. Sort of works for a while and then your body just adjusts to running more efficiently on those five days that your restrict. Even 5:2 as practiced my many on this site really isn’t a “fast”. Its restricted calorie intake, but more severe than the 1500 calories you are doing. True fasting is the absence of any food.

You say you need 2300 cal normally and that you are doing 5 days of 1500. So for the week you run a deficit of 4000 cal. Why not give true fasting a try. Pick two days and do a true fast. Just water. You will run a 4000 cal deficit, which is close to what you are doing. It will be tough to start off and you have to hang tough for a month. After about 6 months it becomes ridiculously easy.

Apart from the wanted weight loss you will get the other benefits of fasting. Better liver function. Better pancreas function. Kidneys etc. You will undergo increased autophagy which is the programmed killing of poorly function cells. Improved white cell count (during fasting this will fall significantly but is compensated by increased white cell production upon breaking the fast). Increased immune system function. Better endocrine system signalling. Increased ability to utilise body fat for fuel. The list goes on.

I reached my goal weight in March 2016. I still water fast one day per week, every Monday without fail. 5’10” male 154 pounds. You can still do physical activity in a fasted state. Approach this carefully though. It takes time to flip over to using ketones as your primarily fuel. Initially do not attempt to exercise at more than 75-80% of what you can do fully carbed up. After 6 months you should be able to increase this to 90-95%. I regularly ride my bike, as long as I stay around the 90% mark of what is possible fully carbed up, no problems.

Good luck.

bigbooty has lots of good advice in his post.

I found working out while fasted to be very different and it took time to adjust.

* Initially I found running very easy as long as it was LSD. (Long slow distance) At that time though I found it very hard to sprint or even do intervals. My max heart rate seems to be lower too.

* Soon I was enjoying running while fasted and I started seeing that my “slow” runs were often faster and my normal runs while not fasted.

* After months I had gained back my ability to really push hard while fasted and I branched off into more HIIT workouts. I don’t run as much now because I’m trying to do more strength building workouts and I don’t want to take the longer time a good run takes.

There are wide variations in how people respond to working out fasted. You might want to check out Dr. Peter Attia’s blog. http://eatingacademy.com/

Hi guys
    I think I misunderstood the idea. I read in many places that I could fast for 18 to 20h and then eat normally, in my mind eating 1000 calories less than I need 5 times per week was a great accomplishment. On top of that I was restricting food and lowering insulin production.
    As I can see now that is not totally correct.
    Next week I will do the 5:2 by the book and see what happen.
    But do you think i should control the amount of calories in the other days or should I eat till reach my limit of 2300 calories? Actually the balance would be obtained with 2700 calories per day.

Thank you guys!!!

Ok my friend.

on your 2 fasting days try and keep to maximum calories of 600 (I prefer to have Zero calories. not easy to do from the beginning though) and the other 5 just eat normally and try not to over do it. believe me the weight will fall off and you will feel much better in yourself.

Have a nice day
    Mark G

luizsantos, find what works for you. What you are doing now would probably work for a lot of people but it isn’t working for you so change it up. Try 5:2 by the book for a few weeks at least and see how you go.

If I cut calories and still eat a lot of simple carbs I struggle to lose weight. Eating whole foods, less calorie-dense foods and less simple carbs is important.

Loving the positive and constructive advice above btw.

Also, instead of focusing on calories, try eliminating processed carbs and sugar from your diet. Cut down on or drop breads, cereal, potatoes, etc. Eat lots of greens, good fats, protein in moderation. Exercise in moderation too. Aerobics will make you hold water. Weights better.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply.