Fast day newbie…

This topic contains 41 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  NeaZ 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 42 posts - 1 through 42 (of 42 total)

• Heya everyone

So today i started my 1st fast. No breakfast (not a great brekkie eater so no problem there). Lunch was about 275 calories and i will have a very light supper. Drinks so far are water and 1 cup of coffee, semi-skimmed milk and 3/4 teaspoon of sugar (reduced from 1, just can’t drink it without!). Tonight am of to the local pool for a session of aquafit and a lovely long sauna. I find i don’t get hungry in a sauna, wonder if i can stay there 24/7….

I am currently 209lbs and am 55 so am in need of shedding that weight, especially as i am apple shaped and so at high risk from all the nasties.

3 years ago when i was ill and had to reduce my weight and increase fitness before treatment i managed to lose 35lbs but that all went back on as soon as i was better! I managed the weight loss by cutting carbs and increasing my exercise, i was doing 6 classes a week at 1 point! These were pilates, aquafit, body balance and yoga. This time i plan on 3 aquafit classes. This should leave me with some social time!

I am looking forward to seeing the weight drop and stay off. I like the idea of it being a lifestyle change as opposed to a diet. There’s plenty of wriggle room to allow for high days and holidays and i like the idea of a 1 day fast to maintain my weight when i reach my target. That’s easily achievable.

My fast days are going to be Mondays and Wednesdays, the rest of the time i will just try and stay mindful of what i am eating and reduce my carb intake by cutting them out of all but 1 meal a day, usually evening time as i have a light snack, my main meal is lunch times. Sometimes i eat breakfast but i can easily go till 12.30 and just have lunch.

My pitfalls are my weekends away (every other w/e), i know i eat and drink far more than i need to but it has become habit and that is going to be hard to change.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and to sharing the high and lows of my 5:2 experience.

Thanks for reading

NeaZ

Hi NeaZ, I too am just starting. Tomorrow is the start of week 2.
    I have far more to lose than your good self, but what the heck, we’ve all got to start somewhere.

My fast days are Monday and Thursday. This gives me more time to “recover” between fasts as I am finding that the day after a fast day, I am not eating as much as I would normally and so I need the extra day to “get back to normal”.

So good luck to you and I will be watching your progress to figure out if I am “doing it right”!!!!

Heya Tramcaur,

I was going to do Monday and Thursdays but then remembered that on Thursdays i am likely to be eating at a cafe (a not very good one either) so calorie counting and portion control just wont happen so as Friday to Sunday are high temptation days i went for Wednesday instead.

I am not to bothered if i eat less when resuming my normal diet, my understanding from reading the book is that it is a welcome side effect from the fast days. Will have to wait and see what happens next week. If i find it hard to do the second fast after only a day reprieve i will have to rethink but i suspect its the fear of being hungry that is more of an issue than actually doing it. Today has gone well, just had my supper, was a ham sandwich but i carefully weighed the bread (i sliced it really thinly so in effect it was just 1 thick slice) the merest smear of mayo (i weighed the bread after i had spread it on both slices and it weighed 5g) and 2 small slices of brunswick ham with fat removed. I calculate i have enough calories left to indulge in a satsuma if i am hungry later. I will also see if i can do with a late breakfast or even go without tomorrow.

Now off to aqua and sauna, hopefully the sauna will suppress my hunger, must help with all the water i drink will in it!

It will be interesting to see how well we do. I like the forums, some good support going on and it helps to read how others have dealt with issues and temptations. I will also be watching you to see how you are doing. Hopefully in a few months we will see that reflection in a window and think *wow, they look good* only to realise it is ourself!

hello everyone, Julie here – I’ve just started too, with day one behind me. It was a revelation! I had energy, clarity, no aches & pains, I wasn’t tired at all, had trouble getting to sleep because I felt so bright, so I re-read the book. It is a comfort to know I’m guarding myself against dementia, cancer, diabetes etc. I also have a ‘dry eye’ condition and ‘floaters’ – I wake almost hourly to put drops in my eyes, but didn’t need to last night. Even the ‘floaters’ appear reduced. I’m delighted and excited to be able to help myself with the aid of 5:2.

As a quick background, I’m 60, was 104kg, live in NZ. I have been following Sarah Wilson’s brilliant ‘I Quit Sugar’ since July last year, also quit gluten and caffeine to help my overactive thyroid, lately heading more Paleo which suits my blood group(O). I have felt so well in these past six months, blood pressure very quickly lowered to healthy normal, as did my cholesterol and anxiety levels. I lost about 8 kg in this time but stalled for the past month. I like to see results – with another 20-30kg to remove, I want to push on in a healthy way.

I plan to do this 3 days a week – Mon/Wed/Fri, eating my usual clean sugar free/Paleo way in the day between.

I am delighted with the results after just one fast, shed 1.8kg, skin feels tighter, eyes clearer.

What helped on my first day was a jelly I made with black coffee, stevia & vanilla powder, plus a couple of glasses of physillium husks & water. I had 3 small meals – 1 boiled egg for breakfast, Thai Pumpkin soup for lunch 2 serves, again for dinner, 1 serve and a green salad, lots of herb tea and water.I wasn’t at all hungry when I woke up. Just amazing!

Thanks for reading!

Thanks QuietOne for the links, I will check them out.

Wow JulieGZ, quitting sugar! Is that all sugars (honey etc) or just sugar cane/beet? I have cut mine down but i really don’t like my coffee without and i wont use artificial sweeteners, just didn’t like stevia when i tried it either.

I wasn’t hungry this morning either, had a light breakfast and went off to work, felt surprisingly full for another 5 hours. Bonus!

Thai pumpkin soup sounds delicious, fancy sharing the recipe?

I wouldn’t even think about giving up sugar. I do find the current hysteria quite entertaining though (almost as entertaining as the gluten-free fad). Three sugars in my tea ‘ til I die!
    Of course, you’ll lose weight quicker if you quit sugar (or alcohol or bread or spuds or anything remotely nice) but you have to weigh these things up.

This isn’t a dig at any previous posters, just my view on dieting while retaining a modicum of hedonism. πŸ™‚

Hi Neaz, all sucrose type sugars which includes honey, I don’t add sugar to anything I eat. Which meant I gave up gin and tonic too! Immediately my nightly aching legs/restless legs stopped, amazing, such a relief. I would say I’m 95% sugar free. Even toothpaste tastes too sweet now! But it has been six months. I don’t like Stevia much either, but a little is ok when I add it to a jelly. I’ll make a blackcurrant juice jelly today.

The Thai Pumpkin soup recipe is on the ‘My Fat Secret’ app, which has a great food breakdown resource for recording what is eaten during the day. If you can’t find it I’ll write it here for you.

Fast day today, glad I have leftover soup! It made a big batch.

Hi Guys, Sue here. Great to hear from some fellow newbies. I too have just started ‘5:2ing’ this week. I’ve just done my second fast day, which was easier than the first one I have to say. I’m interested to hear how many meals everyone prefers on fast days. On Tuesday I tried 2 meals, but today I went for 3, which I preferred I think, even if they were tiny. Breakfast was 2 eggs and lunch was a slice of ham, 4 cherry tomatoes and a cup-a-soup. I’ve decided I can’t do without tea with milk first thing on fast days so will just have to count the calories in. I’m also counting calories on my non-fast days with myfitnesspal, which I used before, just to reassure myself that I’m not going too far over, which so far I’m not at all. 2.5lb lost so far, so feeling very positive. Looking forward to giving and receiving support from the forums

Hi Guys, so glad I found this forum I’m also a newbie my first week on the diet. Today was my second fasting day but I’m worried because I had 541 calories instead of 500. Does that mean today was a loss :- (

I’m new too and just on my second week.
    I started my fast day at 6pm yesterday and did not eat until 6pm today, then I had 2 bits of toast and 2 poached eggs. 314 cals.

I feel great at the moment, but if I am hungry before bed, I still have 280 odd cals for a bit of supper.

Fasting from one day into the other was hard, but I slept better than I have for years.

Hi tramcaur,

That’s amazing you’ve done so well. I felt a little deflated for going slightly over but trust lovely ladies on here have put me at ease. Will try harder next fast day. Good luck with the weight loss

Shaz

Shaziiii, from what i have read your fast still counts, you went over but hey, the diet police aint going to be gunning for you! You can always hit 500 the next time. If you are anything like me its still less than a quarter of a normal days calories. I think the main thing is to do your best and not to beat yourself up if you don’t manage it each time.

Thanks JulieGZ, i will have a look for the soup.

So quick round up of today. Back to normal diet but as i said earlier i noticed a marked decrease in appetite. Had a sauna, did my aqua class and had another sauna. Pushed myself in class and came out buzzing, much more than usual. Found myself bouncing and deep breathing when walking to the car. Had to laugh at myself cos i felt so good and must have looked a right idiot! Love it.

Hi Shaziiii and welcome:

You asked for tips about 5:2, so if you missed the link above, here they are: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/.

Good Luck!

Julie here – Fast day two for me also, like Sue I’m finding it much easier than day one, and can see how some people move onto water only fasts in time. What I’m loving is the energy, just about bouncing around! Mimi wrote in the book how she felt a sense of freedom or emancipation from food on her fast days, I understand where she is coming from. I’m going to do 3 fast days a week 3:4.

So far I’ve eaten one boiled egg for breakfast with a black coffee, lots of filtered water and herb tea. For lunch I am planning 2 serves of Thai Pumpkin soup @ 58 cal per serve, maybe some lettuce and cucumber to munch on. Dinner will be a big salad with a slice of lean beef. We are off to a party later, so I have announced I’ll be the designated driver and will take chilled sparkling water mixed with coconut water, passed off as a gin and squash! Easy.

On my ‘normal’ day yesterday I did find my appetite was a lot less and it was easy to have a very small breakfast then lunch out for Japanese with a friend. Much easier to manage my eating after getting through day one, fasting must give us strength of mind and purpose! I found I gained only 300g yesterday. I weigh myself daily, that works best for me.

Wishing you all a successful day ☺️

So its the weekend…. A time of temptation especially that big Sunday lunch. Saturday isn’t that much of an issue for me, i will treat myself to a glass of pineapple juice with a large slug of kirsch but otherwise eat normally.

My strategy for Sunday lunch is to go swimming first. Burn some calories then eat them back! My tipple of the day will probable be sherry (mums choice). I wont have pudding or an evening meal but i will snack out on a big bag of popcorn instead. Another glass of pineapple and kirsch will probably make an appearance as well.

Then its my Monday fast to start the week. Looking forward to it.

So its Monday morning and its fasting time. Am looking forward to it. Feeling positive about it. Yesterday was my *treat* day but i did go without breakfast (in fact was a mini fast to start the day as i had no food from 8pm Saturday till 1pm Sunday and i managed 30 lengths of the pool (only a 25m pool, but still good for me) as well as the saunas. Got a quiet day, only 1 client to see (am a caregiver) and that’s first thing. So i think today will be a breeze.

Good on ya NeaZ. I too am on my Fast Day since 9pm last night.
    I was working in my Greenhouse and then the Shed yesterday and I hope to be doing the same today.
    Walking the dogs is my exercise and with the gale outside, that should be interesting to say the least.

Good to hear from you Trancaur, hows it going so far? Just starting to feel hungry but i have worked out my lunch, spinach dhall (ok so i cheated and its shop bought). Will have half for lunch with rivita and the rest for supper with more rivita. My treat for the day is some chilled San Pellegrino, as its water i can have as much as i want… So i should easily be under my 500 for the day.

A good dog walk will certainly blow the cobwebs away today, its windy here as well but as i am in the east the worst of the weather will miss me. As usual its grey with a hint of rain.

Hi NeaZ, I am in Argyll and the wind is heading for 80mph later today. It must be about 60mph by now. I have just been out securing any loose items in the garden and watering the young veggies in the greenhouse.

I have not had anything since 9pm last night and I am hoping not to eat anything until 9pm tonight when I will have some raw carrot.

I do not drink anything except Pepsi Max and bottled or tap Water.
    On Fast Days I sip the Max but drink plenty of the water.

Ouch bad weather will certainly be hitting you! Never mind, just think of the calorie burn as you try to shut the front door and catch the dog as it becomes airborne……

I remember you saying about sipping the pepsi max, not one for me, hate the taste of sweeteners so i do without. So far today i am caffeine free! I honestly can’t remember the last time i did a day without, used to have bad addiction, got withdrawals if i didn’t have a cup every 3-5 hours apart from when i was sleeping, i would be grey and shaking with a migraine. I wouldn’t have gone without but as last fast i only had 1 and a half cups and no ill effects thought i would give it a miss and use the calories for food. I have to have some sugar in coffee, milk as well if it isn’t a fresh brew. So far its been fine, thought i might feel sleepy but i seem to be as alert as usual (not very!).

Well, I have never had a cup of tea in my life and I could count on one hand, the number of cups of coffee I have had in the last 5 years!
    I don’t drink alcohol and only very occasionally (like twice a year) fizzy drinks.
    I started drinking Pepsi Max 5 or 6 years ago when I was on the SW diet and just never stopped since.
    On a normal day I will get through about 1.5 litres but that is only about 25 or 30 cals.

Last year I built 4 large raised beds (200sq feet) to grow veggies this year and so I should be well supplied veg wise for the coming year.

Although I know my starting weight, it will not be until I get weighed at the diabetic clinic at the end of this month, just how well (or badly) I am doing. However, all other signs would suggest that I am doing okay and that will do me for now.

I managed to last until 7pm (22 hours) before I had a cuppa soup.
    Then at 11pm I had a WW Bolognaise Meal (303cals) and now I am off to beddies.

For the days exercise I took my 2 Bichons for walks morning and evening. It was like taking 2 Kites for a walk in this wind. 80mph this evening.

About to dive under the blankets and stay buried until morning

Looking forward to my Snap, Crackle and Pops.

Well done Tramcaur, I stuck to my 2 meal plan yesterday. This morning i didnt have breakfast, just a banana and my 1st cup of coffee for 36 hours. Had another coffee just now (10ish) and a satsuma. No point having more as lunch is at 12.15 (living with mother does have its benefits, we eat same time each day on the dot!) and we are having cold rib of beef and salad, normally i would have a baked potato but am giving it a miss today as i am trying to only eat carbs once a day and its bread and cheese for supper.

I had a look to see what a bichon is, can see why they would be like kites on a windy day. Thanks for the mental image i now have, its going to keep me giggling for hours!

2nd fast of the week commencing… Am feeling positive about it although this maybe a tough one as i fasted Monday so there has only been a days grace. This is hopefully going to be my routine form now on. Feeling hungry so will reach for the water. Lunch will be half another indian side dish from waitrose plus 2 rivita and supper will be the same. This seems to be working for me.

Coffee is out again today, just hope i dont get as tired as i did Monday, don’t want to fall asleep during aquafit….. Feeling peckish atm so will fill up on some water and think about something else. Got 2 clients to visit am so that will take me to lunch time. Unfortunately i have to do breakfast for them both.. That will be my challenge of the day, to cook and not to eat as well…..

I know i have lost a pound or 2 and with the exercising i am doing my body feels a lot leaner. I made a load of whipped sugar scrub yesterday, used some in the shower after aqua and sauna so today my skin feels wonderful and silky. Thought i would have a bit of a pamper session as a reward. Funny how sugar applied to the outside of the body is good for it!

While I feel that I could do Fasting on alternate days, I resist doing so.
    I don’t eat as much on the day after Fasting as I do on the next day and as I fasted on Monday, yesterday I felt good but it could not be thought as “a normal day”. It will be today’s eating that will be more like a normal day and therefore Thursday’s Fast will feel more like “routine”.

I am trying to make 5:2 a sustainable weekly routine.
    I don’t think I could sustain a 4:3 routine for very long.

But good luck to anyone who tries.

Oh i am doing 5:2 Tramcaur, not 4:3, It’s work that stops me doing Monday/Thursday. So have no choice but to do Monday/Wednesday as I know Fri/Sat/Sun are useless to me as fast days, far to much temptation!

I thought i would feel hungrier than i do with only the 1 day of normal eating between the 2 but if anything the reverse is true. Its now approaching lunch time and while i am hungry it isn’t excessive. In fact i felt surprisingly satiated with just water for about 4hrs after waking.

Hi NeaZ, I am still getting to grips with how I feel on the days after Fast Days.
    Also, on the days after the days after Fast Days, my eating is anything but normal and so this whole new way of taking onboard food will need to be adjusted.

I would like to eat the way I feel like eating but that is impossible because I have to think of the others in the family.
    Whatever way I go, it will have to be a long term commitment, but I will still have to find a way that suits everyone in the house.

You’re both getting how 5:2 works. You can adjust fast days to suit your obligations, social/work/home etc.

5:2 is doable long term. I’ve only been on 5:2 for 13 months so far it is doable and sustainable. If it is NOT sustainable it won’t work in the long term. I’m talking years 5 – 10 – 15.

The pattern of eating (I refuse to call it a diet) does take some time to become in grained and become a habit. What you really want is for it to be like breathing not something you even have to think about.

Keep on keeping on and you will be amazed at the new you in a year.

29 years ago I learned that I could do something that I thought would be impossible if I did it just “one day at a time”.

I would like the 5:2 regime to be, for me, just One Week At A Time.

I think I could manage that.
    I can do something for one week that would concern me if I thought about doing it for life.
    If, come next week I make that decision again, and again, and again, well, we’ll see, but so far I’m doing okay and enjoying it.

There you go 5:2 do what works for you.

Hey everyone, you’re all doing so well! It’s a revelation that we don’t need so much food to go well. I’m into my second week, doing 4:3 as I have a very important wedding (our daughter) in 19 days! And a nice frock to squeeze into. So I’m thrilled to be 2.7 kg down and to have so much energy while I’m fasting. Having food organised for the day is so important. I boil a couple of eggs, and have a nice green vege soup, I make one batch which I freeze in generous serves for the week. Add a yummy big salad nicoise with a can of tuna in water and I’m cruising. Lots of herb tea, a black coffee to start the day (and I’ve given up caffeine normally), lots of water and lemon juice with a tsp of chia seeds added. Chef Teresa Cutter has a very good app which includes a very clean set of recipes for $1.49 extra, these are excellent for our fasting days and good nutrition, which I believe is so important.

Tramcaur, one day at a time is a good way of looking at life. We spend to much time planning months even years of our life ahead of time.

QuietOne, so it would be a poe instead of a diet….. πŸ™‚

I am so getting this poe, am thinking of all sorts of things i can eat on a fast day that i consider treats, just have to keep them in the 500 range. I do look my fizzy water with a squeeze of lemon/lime and have found it surprisingly easy to have caffeine free days, something i would have thought impossible a few years ago.

JulieGZ, Good luck with the frock, sounds like you are well on the way. 2.7kg down. I am no where near as organised as you. My meal planning consists of deciding when i am shopping what i might want, afraid to say its not usually home made but i do read the ingredients to make sure its all natural but its balanced by my non fast days when i only eat home cooked food. I am fortunate to live with my french 83 y/o mother who likes to cook every day, from scratch. Spoiled or what eh!

Do you intend to carry on after the wedding? I feel i have made a positive change for life and intend to switch to 6:1 to keep myself at a healthy weight when i have hit my goal.

Funny thing is i am sitting in bed writing this on a non fast day with the first hungry tummy rumbles i have had. I came in from my aquafit class, had a tangerine instead of the 4 squares of dark chocolate with hazelnuts that mum had left out. Could easily go down stairs to get something else but am going to slug back some water and go to sleep instead…..

Sweet dreams all.

you will hear it referred to as WOE way of eating or even WOL way of life.

for me now 13 months in it is just what I do. I feel better than I have in decades and the weight loss is just a bonus for the health benefits.

It is unusual for me to feel hungry.
    A new experience, but one I am beginning to like.
    More so because I know that tomorrow I will be back to normal meals wise.

That’s the key to it all isn’t it? We are giving ourselves permission to be hungry, it’s not the scarey thing we have fooled ourselves into believing. We don’t need to snack between meals with rubbish, although an occasional treat is OK (on a non fast day). Being hungry for a day doesn’t kill you, it takes weeks of starvation to do that! Once we get our heads round that we can really enjoy our fast days. Normal days eating changes as well, being motivated helps us make better food choices and as we lose weight and get healthier we become more motivated.

Last night when I chose fruit over my 4 squares of chocolate showed that to me. I haven’t swapped that out before on a non fast day. When dieting before I allowed 4 squares in my daily allowance. It’s part of my mother’s routine and as it’s her chocolate and not mine I haven’t gone on to eat the whole bar, if it were mine I would…….

Putting on weight is a vey slow and gradual process and not really noticeable until something happens that we find that what fitted in the past, no longer fits, or things we did every other day without thinking about them, suddenly become difficult or even impossible.

Although I haven’t weighed myself and will not get weighed until nearly the end of this month, I know I am losing weight because things I have found difficult to do before, are much easier now.
    I no longer have to contact the local forklift company to get out of my recliner chair!! <GGG>.

Life is gradually getting easier and so, if nothing else, 5:2 is working for me.

Embrace the hunger. But also embrace yourself, find your inner self that core part of you which makes you the unique “me” when you’re happy with that core being, fasting becomes much easier.

Also the more fasting you do, over time say after 20 fast days, (which would occur in just over two months doing 5:2)dealing with “hunger” becomes much almost second nature.

An odd thing is that in extended fasting beyond 3 days feelings of hunger are greatly reduced and almost non existent. After the first 24 hours you will notice a decrease. Feelings of “hunger” aren’t true hunger. True hunger isn’t encountered until well into extended fasts 14-21 days or longer. True hunger is an indication that the fast should be broken.

Good on you for keeping on keeping on 5;2. Don’t give up. Don’t give in. Don’t waver from your goals and you will succeed in all things.

Well my day started well until mid afternoon when we drove to the nearest town and its Farmfood shop.
    Got home with our goodies and found we could not get it all in the freezer.
    So we had to eat a little (???) more than we should.

I will need to be a good boy tomorrow to make it all better!!! <GGG>.

things happen just get back on the 5:2 pattern. Don’t beat yourself up or get down on yourself about it. Maybe drop your total cals just a bit each day for a week if you want to play catch up.

Each day with 5:2 is a clean start just keep on keeping on 5:2 you will succeed.

Since I started this regime, I have slept like a log every night, but last night, because I had over eaten, I slept very badly and despite putting out the light at 12.30, I was still wide awake around 4am.

So, never mind anything else, I will not be doing that again.
    I will have a mini fast today to get myself back on course.

Doh! just lost a lovely long post….. Anyway, after a weekend away where i ate far to much but didn’t drink (a first) i am getting back on track with my 2nd fast of the week. I deliberately didn’t cut back on my food last w/e as i wanted to see the effect it had. Now i know i will modify my diet when away at my caravan. Now if there was just me it would be easy but my friend who owns the land my ‘van is on really doesn’t know how to do small portions! When its on the plate its hard not to eat it, plus the huge bag of popcorn and a couple of bars of chocolate didn’t help….

However i have already shifted the temporary gain (4lbs), i know a lot of it was weight of food passing through my system and that you can’t add 4lbs of fat in 3 days….. I ate as i have done in the past just to see what would happen, from now on i will try to have smaller portions and no seconds…. As i go there every 2 weeks i will need to or i will be constantly playing catch up.

Tramcaur, you got back on course ok? I think it is good to slip occasionally as it shows us just how bad it is for our bodies to cram food in when it isn’t needed. A sleepless night is worth it to learn that overeating has immediate negative effects.

On my second fast of the week, already back to pre weekend weight and feeling positive.

Viewing 42 posts - 1 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply.