Fainting

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Amazon 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• I have just started the 5:2 diet. I am a keen cyclist and would consider myself as being fit and healthy. I have a bmi of 22.5, so I’m not over-weight, but was convinced by the health benefits attributed to the 5:2 diet.

This is my second week and I have chosen Monday and Thursday as my fasting days. This morning (Tuesday) after having fasted the previous day, when I got up to get out of bed I fainted, completely collapsing. I came round instantly but it was rather concerning.

Should I be worried? Should I stop the 5:2 diet? As someone who is reasonable tall (6ft 2) feeling faint when getting up is something reasonably familiar, however I have never fainted.

I’m not 6’2″, more like 5’2″ and still get the odd light headed spells when fasting. Fainting… not good though! Maybe see if it happens again? Did you eat your full calorie limit?

Yes, I did eat my full calorie limit. Been to the Doctor, turns out I have low blood pressure (nothing to worry about apparently) which is made even lower during fasting days. This is what contributed to the fainting.

Been advised that this diet isn’t for me and that I should stop. Should I ignore Doctor’s advice? I guess I had thought that this would be the advice, Doctors tend to take the cautious approach.

Perhaps do 1000 calorie ‘fast’ days and see how you are with that and gradually work down from that. Perhaps 600 is just too low for you.

If you are doing 5:2 for health benfits and not for weight loss you do not need to restrict your calories but the time in which you eat them, as it is the fasting period that gives the health benefits.

You could follow 16:8 which means 16 hour fast and 8 hour eating window, for example not eating before 11am or after 7pm.

If you know you suffer from low BP then maybe you should try sitting up for a couple of minutes before getting out of bed, to give your body time to adjust.

It would also be an idea for you to read up on the benefits of fasting. There is a fair bit of information in the 5:2 book or I’m sure there will be lots of articles on line.

Thanks for your suggestions, it is largely the health benefits that I was after rather than the weight loss.

I’ll do some reading on the 16:8 IF. Is this something that has to be done everyday or is it just twice a week like the 5:2?

There are numerous approaches which is why I suggested you do some reading so you can decide how you want to go about it in a way that will suit your lifestyle.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.