Factors influencing weight loss: a statistical analysis

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
Factors influencing weight loss: a statistical analysis

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  wiltldnrUSA 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• I have just co-authored a report on a statistical analysis of the factors that influence the speed of weight loss on the fast diet. Data were collected via a questionnaire and the analysis reveals several factors that appear to affect speed of weight loss, including the length of the fast and eating behaviour on non-fast days.

You can read the paper here: https://www.academia.edu/5360346/Factors_influencing_weight_loss_using_the_5_2_diet_a_statistical_analysis

Please read and share with other fasters!

I just read your paper and by your analysis the 19hr fast eating plan which was first presented by Dr. Bert Herring in his Fast-5 diet video back in 2005 is right on the money. Only eating in a 5 hour window each day lets you lose weight consistently. Thanks for posting your paper.

Well, yes and no. Our analysis says that having only 500 calories (600 for men) twice a week and on those days fasting for 20 hours gives faster weightloss than fasting for a shorter period twice a week. Our analysis cannot comment on whether the 19 hour daily fasting plan is more/less effective. If you really pack your calories in during those 5 hours you might not lose weight! (A single Xmas dinner could easily have more calories than my TDEE for example!).

So our analysis only really applies to a twice weekly, v low calorie fast-day regimen.

Thanks Caroline, very interesting! I am one of the people with a BMI of now 20 and I do a mix of 5:2 and 4:3. I have lost five kg in five weeks. I also stick to not eating for more than 20 hours on fast days.
    Stef.

That’s a really interesting and useful analysis, thanks for sharing it. This should be pinned as a FAQ on the forum! 🙂

I’d love to see your analysis for men. I’d be happy to take part in a survey, though I’ve only just started so I probably wouldn’t be useful for a while.

I’ve got no idea how many readers and posters there are on this forum but I’m sure it is a significant number and gives a good size data sample. I would be happy to read more on evidence based research and happy to supply more data – I think many others would to.

Hi,
    thanks for sharing this interesting study!
    It confirms my own observation: I’m switching between several fasting forms – sometimes doing a calory-restricted fasting like the 5:2 fasters do and sometimes switching to a complete fasting day (ADF, alternate day fasting called “10in2”, just plain water on fasting day, no food for 36 hrs in a 48 hrs window) and noticed a much greater loss on complete fasting days.
    But even ADF has limits, after great losses at the beginning, weight loss was slowing down the last months…thats why I’ve changed to this switching program between different types of fasting.

Q

caroline.j.rees

WOW WOW WOW

thanks so much 4 the research

very cool

enjoy ur holiday!

take care
    usa

bookmarked the page 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.