Exercise on a Fast Day

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Gypsum_Fantastic 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• This is my 6th week…YaY! However, Yesterday on a FAST Day..I exercised at Noon. I drank water all afternoon but by 5:00…I had a horrible headache that did not go away with my small dinner? Never have had this issue on a fast day but I wasn’t exercising. Everyone else seems to do well with exercise on a fast day

Hello Nellie. I’m into my fifth week and try to work out 4x’s a week. After missing my Sunday exercise routine, due to family obligations, I exercised yesterday on fast day. It was my first time to exercise while fasting. I did okay, because I consumed water throughout the morning then a healthy (no sugar) 260 calorie fruit smoothie, called Green Machine, before my routine. Otherwise, I could almost expect a headache. I hope this helps. I’m sure someone else has a more scientific explanation. Kind regards and keep going! Jean

Thank you Jean! I am thinking that I need more electrolytes and some calories after the workout. Thanks for the idea!

A quick thought. If you’re exercising and fasting and you’re burning fat then would you be producing more “ketone bodies” and aren’t headaches a symptom of Ketosis occurrring?

Even after your meal your body may still be metabolising / excreting the ketone bodies hence the headache not stopping.

You’d have to be pretty severely dehydrated to get a headache from that alone.

Hi nelliec and Gypsum:

Nelliec – if you were drinking enough water and got a headache, then I would suggest taking in some salt, too. Powdered or cubed ‘broth’ contains quite a bit of salt and also gives you some water.

Gypsum – ketones do not cause headaches, they actually feed the brain.

Here are some tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

I stand corrected, ketones don’t seem to cause headaches and aren’t even listed in the symptoms of severe diabetic ketoacidosis.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.