Excited to start!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  butterfly75 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Hi i am starting day 1 – first fast day today!

So far so good its 1:30pm, starting to feel some hunger pangs but will be having a cup-a-soup in a little bit and then going through to dinner.

Loving reading all the supportive posts and comments on this forum.

I discovered this diet a couple of weeks ago after watching the documentary “eat fast and live longer” with Dr Michael Mosley. I have seen a number of his documentaries and always enjoy them. Watching this one, a light bulb went off in my head and all the years of dieting and everything i believed i needed to do to lose weight went out the window!

I have reached a point recently where i am at my heaviest i have ever been and wanting to do something about it but having tried and been bored of every diet out there so far i didn’t know what i could do that might work for me. Basically because I just get tired of thinking of food and what i can and can’t have, this diet seems like the perfect answer!

To only have to think of it for 2 days a week and i am hoping that on other days without restricting myself and eating normally I will perhaps start to eat like a slim person and make this my life long routine.

After watching the documentary i went looking for more info and was pleased to find the fast diet book which i immediately got off amazon, which I have been reading and also found this site.

Its great to hear of everyone’s results and to know there is a science behind this philosophy. I am looking forward to getting results myself.

Nice to meet you all and look forward to posting updates later!

Vanessa

Hey Vanessa! Welcome! Sounds like you have the perfect set of motivators and ideas to get started with this WOL (Way Of Life), so keep it up! If you’re going to track your results, consider posting them somewhere to be extra motivated (your choice of course).
    In any case, consider taking measurements besides weighing yourself, they give a new dimension to the whole “losing weight” thing. Sometimes your weight plateaus but your measurements decline!

Thanks for the tips Nika. I have a new scales which does fat and water as well so i can see which numbers are shifting. I also normally do my measurement when dieting as it can be important to see what part of me changes.

I’d like to share my experience with 5:2 so far.

I successfully did my first fast day last Monday (although my boyfriend is not yet that supportive of this method).

I lost nearly 2 kilos when I weighed myself the next day which was great to see, though i knew it wouldn’t all stay off once I ate normally again

Unfortunately i got sick the rest of the week with a secondary infection with my viral bronchitis I was just getting over when i started. Not sure if it was related to the fast. So i didn’t end up fasting on Thursday as planned and really just went back to my normal eating patterns.

I had weighed myself last Wednesday after eating normally all Tuesday and it went back up so that my overall loss was 800grams which is actually not too bad.

Today being Monday again and I am feeling better since my illness, I am fasting again. When I weighed myself this morning i was pleased to see that the same 800 grams I lost last week had stayed off, so a net loss of the first week with only one fast day is actually pretty good I think. And i don’t think I have got results that good on normal restricted eating plans where you are miserable every day of the week!

The only change I made on the non-fast days were that I tried to be mindful not to overeat as I often have a tendency to eat just past full at dinner, rather than stopping at full as I was always worried i would get hungry later.

i am looking forward to seeing what results I get doing 2 fast days this week.

I don’t find the fasting days pleasant yet, i hate the hunger pangs i get in the afternoon. But I hope I get used to it and can continue, being encouraged by results and the fact I can eat normally again the next day.

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa and welcome! 🙂

Sorry to hear that you had some illness during your first week 🙁 but seems like all is well now 🙂 Sounds like you have a great approach to this WOL, too, and have already worked out many of the benefits.

Many of us suffer hunger pangs on fast days, but on the whole these get easier to manage with time – think of those hunger pangs as your body burning fat!! Try out all the herbal teas, and find ones that you like and suit your mood or different times of day. These have helped me a lot, as has a cup or 2 of black coffee over the course of the day. You can also enjoy the control that you show on fast days – lack of control is a major problem for many of us who have been overweight, and fast days help us get back control which, as you are doing, you then apply to your non-fast days (well, we do most of the time!!)

Very best wishes on your journey 🙂
    Sassy

Thanks Sassy,

I agree about the sense of control you feel on the fast days. I’ve always had an issue with wanting instant gratification which I think lead to my weight issues, I think this will definitely teach me delayed gratification. Knowing that how hungry I feel at the time and not having certain things does not matter because anything i want i can have tomorrow does give me a good sense of control.

Even last night it was my turn to cook dinner anyway and I wanted nothing more than to make my chicken and salad before 7pm as i was really hungry. I had to wait a bit longer as my boyfriend wanted me to cook extra chicken and stuff so he could have a sandwich for dinner. So it ended up being 7:30 by the time we ate and I was proud of myself as the week before i could not hold out past 6:30 for dinner.

What I noticed yesterday was while I felt hungry pretty much all day it never got really really bad where I felt sick or couldn’t stand it. It makes me feel i can continue this and great to see the scales down again this morning.

Looking forward to keeping up to date with everyone on here and hearing everyone’s progress.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.