Enbrel

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  simcoeluv 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Hi I have RA last year I went into remission and lost 5 kilos on the fast diet. Now it is back and I am back on immune suppressed meds and I can’t lose the weight, in fact I gain after a fast day, could the meds have anything to do with it and has any research been done in this area. Cheers

Hi Mandie. I use Enbrel etc too but have lost over 3 stone in 10 months. I spoke to my rheumatology consultant about 5:2 and he was very encouraging just said ‘don’t go too mad’ but that basically he didn’t feel fasting would have a negative effect on the arthritis.

On my fast days, I weigh all food carefully and then write it down and work out the calories so that I never ever go over 500. I never ‘guess’, I don’t eat ready made items on fast days but keep things really simple – porridge, fruit and veg (including home made low calorie soups). I like to spread my 500 calories over breakfast. lunch and dinner.

If this all sounds too much ‘faffing’ about, I got used to it really quickly and now it is just routine.

I don’t lose weight every week (mainly because I still like bread on my non fast days) but I don’t put weight on either.

I did read in an article that if you eat less than 500 calories a day, your body goes into starvation mode and that will prevent you losing weight.

Now, I’ve just got to learn to like exercise:(

Stay positive and don’t give up.

Hi,
    Can I ask a few questions?
    What do you mean by your weight goes up after a fast day?
    If you weigh yourself every day it is normal for your weight to fluctuate by several pounds depending on how much and what you’ve eaten or had to drink and various other reasons. You will weigh more when your gut is full of food and it is not an indicator of fat gain.
    How long have you been trying to lose weight? Are you ensuring you are not eating more than your TDEE on non fast days because the usual answer when we don’t lose weight on 5:2 is that we are consuming more calories than our bodies need.

Starvation mode is something of a myth as far as 5:2 is concerned. We all have approximately 24 hours worth of glycogem stored in our livers which will be used if we don’t eat enough. After that fat stores will be used and we all want that to happen.

Exactly, Amazon. The ‘starvation mode’ is totally irrelevant as far as intermittent fasting goes because we are nowhere near starving and ‘starvation mode’ simply slows the metabolism a little anyway. If we were really starving we would be losing weight.

I do zero calories every other day and, strangely, the weight is dropping off! Who’d have thunk it?

Hi:

This video by a Dr. that has run a water fasting clinic for decades explains the progression of energy sources the body goes through when fasting and how long it takes to get to/through each stage. This bit of info starts at minute 16. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOBa_hfbRE

You may be surprised! (And the entire video is very informative for anyone interested in ‘fasting facts’.)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.