Ecigs and Weight Gain

This topic contains 38 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Uaa123 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

• I am becoming quite desperate with my situation.

I started the 5:2 in January 2013 and took to it straight away. I lost 17 lbs and was happily maintaining until January 2014, when I gave up smoking cigarettes and switched to ecigs. After about two weeks I noticed my weight was going up.

I switched to doing 4:3, but my weight still crept up. This morning, after a Fast Day yesterday, it was at its highest since changing to ecigs – I have put on 7 lbs. I have walked over 500 miles since January this year – I use a Fitbit, and try to do 10k steps per day – and also average two gym classes and two workouts a week.

I just don’t know what to do. I’m even thinking of going back to smoking conventional cigarettes – maybe just a few a day – just to see if that makes a difference.

marielaem, you have a tough problem, weight gain with quitting smoking is well-documented, but as far as I know the mechanism for it is not well-understood. It could be that somehow your body’s energy requirements are altered, lowering your TDEE.

Two things I would consider trying if I was in your situation: keep a food log for a week, weighing and measuring and writing down everything, then analyze for patterns that I could change, if I think my TDEE might be lower without cigarettes; or choose a low-carb diet that I could stand and do that for a few weeks, if I’m thinking that too much circulating insulin or cortisol or something is keeping the fat locked up in the fat cells.

Other people may have better ideas. I don’t know if resuming smoking would actually make the weight come back off. I wouldn’t want to risk ending up with the extra weight and a smoking habit that I thought I’d given up. The tar is, after all, the most dangerous part of smoking. I don’t know if nicotine gum is any more helpful than e-cigarettes at preventing weight gain. I’m pretty sure that 7 pounds is the average amount gained when quitting, though. I don’t think the weight gain is going to continue indefinitely. If that’s any consolation.

Keep up the good work, and good luck!

I am on ecigs since January 2013 and had no problems with my weight. Are you eating more? I would suggest to download myfitnesspal and logging all your calorie intake to see where the culprit is?
    Stef.

Thank you both for your replies.

I already use myfitnesspal – I started it when I embarked on the 5:2, as suggested. No, I am not eating more .. in fact, since noticing the weight gain I’ve been monitoring my intake on non-fast days, too, which I didn’t do before.

I will try reducing carbs further. I really hope that 7 lbs is the maximum weight I’m going to gain – it is so frustrating to be exercising and keeping to the 5:2 – and then 4:3 – only to see the weight going up!

I will also do some research into the effect that giving up smoking might have on TDEE – this is one area I haven’t looked into specifically.

Once again, thank you.

Hi marie:

My first comment is I don’t understand why you would want to begin taking a lethal drug help you lose weight. I guess I have different priorities.

If I understand what you did, you stopped smoking and started exercising in January of this year (2014). So far, you have walked 500 miles this year, or about 100 miles per month.

It is well known that when you begin exercising more than what you are used to, your muscles get stronger. To do that, however, they have to retain water and this adds to your weight. I would guess some, maybe most of your weight gain is water weight related to your increased exercise.

Many people that stop smoking report weight gains. I have never researched why. But you did say that when you switched to 4:3 your weight crept up – indicating your rate of weight gain slowed. This would indicate you do have at least a small calorie intake issue. I would suggest the TDEE number you are using is a little high and you might reduce your non diet day caloric intake.

Did you revise your TDEE up to reflect your increased exercise level, and then begin to eat to the higher number? By the way, it is a common mistake of those beginning to exercise to give ‘extra credit’ to the calories used by the exercise. To explain, assume (just for ease of calculation) your TDEE is 2400 per day, or 100 per hour. Then you increase your exercise level and you walk for an hour and your fit bit or chart or whatever says one hour of walking uses 400 calories. You have not used an extra 400 calories, you have used an extra 300 because you would have used 100 anyway. If you eat an additional 400 calories ‘to stay even’, you are actually overeating and can gain weight.

Otherwise, I would guess you will have to wait until your muscles stop getting stronger and the water is released before you start benefiting from 5:2/4:3 and lose your 7 pound gain. Remember, none of these numbers are particularly accurate, they are all, at best, estimates and you have to adjust your diet to attain the results you want. Not say I’m doing everything right according to the numbers I’m using and it doesn’t work, so I quit (or resume smoking).

Good Luck!

Thank you for your detailed reply, simcoeluv.

“If I understand what you did, you stopped smoking and started exercising in January of this year (2014). So far, you have walked 500 miles this year, or about 100 miles per month.” … not quite. I’ve been exercising regularly for over ten years. My Fitbit total steps – 500 miles in 3 months and 3 weeks – is just a reflection of my normal day to day moving around.

I have always smoked – and I didn’t want to give up – but switched to electronic cigarettes in January 2014. That was on January 4th. I started using Fitbit on January 9th (I kept on breaking pedometers and thought that the Fitbit was a better option!) but had been using myfitnesspal to log food intake and exercise since January 2013 when I started the 5:2.

I didn’t revise my TDEE and don’t “eat back” exercise calories, either. I smoked “real” cigarettes for 40 years or so … maybe this is just my body reacting to giving them up?

Just calculated my TDEE again on here and it is 1755. I based this on Moderate Exercise – 3-5 days a week, which reflects the gym sessions I do, rather than all the daily walking.

I rarely eat up to TDEE. Maybe I am nitpicking – but what I don’t want is for my weight to steadily creep up. A 2 to 3 lb gain has gradully become a 4 to 5 lb gain and is now a 7 to 8 lb gain – I really want to stop it!

Hi marie:

Well, if your weight gain is not water weight and you are eating under your TDEE on non diet days, and you are doing your diet days correctly (500 or less), and you still are slowly gaining weight, then, regardless of what you believe, you have to be eating over your TDEE. That means either your computed TDEE is too high or you are under counting your calories. Basically, except for water weight, by definition you can’t gain weight over time without eating over your TDEE.

All I can suggest is to eat less, by using 4:3 or eating fewer calories on your non diet days or whatever and see what happens.

Good Luck!

First of all I would set my exercise regime to sedentary instead of moderate. Mine is on moderate, but I work out 6 days a week, quite extensively, burning somewhere between 600 and 800 calories. I eat a good percentage of those calories back, but I use a heart rate monitor with a sports watch that can calculate my very personal fitness level. (Those heart rate monitors are much more accurate than then ones that can’t).

Otherwise, I have to agree with the above post: you can only gain weight by: water retention (excessive sodium consumption, or due to exercise); by havin thyroid problems or other health issues or…eating over your TDEE.

One of the culprits I found with logging my food were not logging the butter I put on my sandwich, ignoring sauces (e.g. salad), underestimating calories or portion sizes. Weighing your food might also help. Upping your exercise regime might also be beneficial.

Anyhow, I sincerely hope you find a solution soon as this can be very frustrating.

Best of luck
    Stef.

Thanks for your replies. I will reset my TDEE and see if that works. I’ve also heard that when you stop smoking, your metabolism slows down …. I need to find a way to kick start it. I’ve only had this problem since swapping the real cigarettes for the electronic ones.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to reply. xx

I have recalculated and come up with 1550 – I will make sure to stay under this on non-Fast Days. Fingers crossed!

I hope the weight gain is just a blip for you. It is very common to gain some weight after giving up smoking. I have also read that smoking speeds the metabolism slightly, and of course,nicotine is an appetite suppressant. But I congratulate you on giving up after being a long – term smoker, that’s no mean feat, and a few extra pounds can be shed – your heart and lungs can’t be replaced so easily. Your body will thank you. I do wonder if the stress of giving up might also be a factor with your weight gain.

Give your body time to adjust. Keep reminding yourself how much healthier you will be without the deadly cigarettes. Good luck!

Thank you for your reply. I hope this is just a blip, too. I was really really happy with the 5:2. I don’t intend to give it up, apart from weight control, the health benefits are so good.

I don’t particularly want to go back to smoking real cigarettes either. Electronic cigarettes seemed like a good substitute, and I know I can’t give up smoking altogether. I never wanted to give up anyway, and it was only pure chance – a friend asked me to try her electronic cigarette – that lead to me giving up the real thing.

It is just very frustrating to see the weight steadily going up.

Hehe…same for me. I did not really want to stop, but hubby brought so ecigs back and I tried them. Never went back to normal ones and I smoked a pack of red Marlboro for 28 years. Now I am jogging an hour without ever having to stop. My fitness is up like never before!

Frankly though I do not believe in the slowing metabolism theory. I think it just boils down that one eats more. As said I did not gain an ounce when stopping, but then I started immediately an exercise regime.

Best of luck
    Stef.

I smoked Marlboro Reds as well. Never thought I’d give them up!

I already had an exercise regime in place when I started on the ecigs, I have been a regular at the gym for years, apart from all the walking I do on a daily basis – so I suppose I have to make sure I add more. I started a Zumba class today. Have also adjusted my TDEE after the helpful advice in this thread.

So – fingers crossed I am going to see some results! I just want to get rid of the extra pounds that have accumulated since January this year. And at least not accumulate more!

Thanks to everyone for posting. I really appreciate it.

Hi Marielaem

I’ve just joined this forum and my first question was if anyone else had gained weight after giving up smoking and going on to e-cigs? You question has answered mine and I’m just wondering how you are doing and if you have shifted your 7/8 pounds? That must have been so frustrating for you! I understand how you feel though, because I too have put on at least 9 pounds since going onto the e-cigs. I feel more than miffed, I can tell you! I did want to give up smoking as I was breathing like an old tractor on it’s last legs and I also had the night time gurlge – yuk. Before I actually stopped I had been to the docs and of course, she got on my case about smoking and I said I was concerned about weight gain and she told me that yes, I could expect to gain at least 5lb but that was because my metabolism would slow down. Well she was right, I guess. I didn’t think for one moment that replacing my old ciggies with a nicotine based e-cig would make the weight pile on. I have always been convinced that it is the nicotine that keeps the metabolism up, but I guess it must be some other sneaky chemical they bung in proper ciggies and not the nicotine? Anyway, I’ve just started the 5;2 and and hoping with everything I’ve got that I can get rid of this weight…To be v honest, I’m at ‘that’ age as well (and had already put on half a stone – grrrr) and I’m hating carrying around weight that I’ve never had before.

It would be great to know how you are doing, but in the meantime I’ll wish you all the best and hope things are working out for you.

So sorry that it has taken me this long to reply – I have not been logging in here very much.

I am still exercising and still doing the 5:2 and sometimes the 4:3 but all to no avail. I did the 4:3 this week and when I weighed this morning I was another 3 lbs up. I have now gained 10 lbs.

I have tried cutting back on using the e-cig. I am now going to try reducing my calories on non-fast days from 1500 to 1200. I am really at my wits’ end. I thought that gaining 5 lbs was bad enough – but now I’ve gained double that! I just don’t know what to do.

How are you getting on? I am now eating less than I did when I was smoking. And the weight just keeps on coming …. xx

Hi all. Totally relate to ur comments re e-cigs and weight gain. I quit my 20 a day Marlboro lites habit in Nov last year. I weighed 10st 10lbs back then and for the first time In years I was happy with my shape. I was adamant that I was going to be strict with everything I put passed my lips. I didn’t want weight gain. Well despite my best efforts, 6 months later in May of this year I had gained 8lbs! 🙁 I was horrified. But not as horrified as I was 2 weeks ago when on deciding to give this 5:2 a shot, my scales read 11st 12lbs! I was too dumbstruck to even swear at the scales (which I normally do) 🙂 Any way did a fast that very day and dropped 2lb. Result at last. Im now on second fast of second week and will weigh Fri. Fingers crossed. Anyways I think that gaining weight after quitting fags is unfortunately just par for the course. But on the upside, I figure its a small price to pay for adding a potential 13 years onto ones lifespan! Think we can all live with that. Yes? ;).
    Good luck to us all!

Hi Marielaem

So sorry to hear about your problems and weight gain. I’m a bit baffled as to what to suggest – I’m in no way an expert, but I have lost 8 pounds since starting the 5:2, although it has flucutated and gone up and down according to what life’s chucking at me 🙂

I can’t even begin to imagine how demoralised you must feel, but if it’s any help at all this is what I’ve done – it may help?

(I don’t know what e-cig you are using, but i use the vape tanks – with the clearo’s and battery – the ones you put your liquid into and I find it so much better, satisfaction wise, than the e-cigs that look like proper ciggies…) I’ve changed from tobacco flavour to coconut – which is lovely – and is a 24mg nicotine base. I find this really, really helps stop the food cravings and as I’ve just passed the 6 month mark, after smoking for 40 years, I can say that it really works for me. I feel so much healthier and the money I’ve saved really is alarming!

Like you I looked at my TDEE again and decided I would drop it to around the 12/1300 mark on non fast days. I don’t eat, bread on any day now. I’ve recently read a report that wasn’t too pleaseant and it basically said that although I wasn’t gluten intolerant, I could be gluten sensitive. There is a difference. (you can google it) Since not eating bread I have loads more energy AND the weight came off easily after a bit of a stubborn start. I don’t eat any pastries, cakes, sweets at all and I don’t drink alcohol during the week. (Make up for it at the weekend, though) I do still eat a little pasta at weekends only, sometimes…

I try to eat more protein, but not too much red meat – mainly chicken, eggs, fish – lots of fish, tuna, salmon, sardines…and loads of salads and veggies. On my FD’s I’ll have lunch but no breakfast and that is usually some salmon and a boiled egg, or prawns, or a tin of tuna (in brine) with a salad. I then have one of those three again for dinner. I do pig out on the salads though…

I don’t like water much, so I drink lemon and ginger tea, peppermint, or berry as I don’t like black coffee either, (I do guzzle an awful lot during FD’S – in fact my cup is never really empty) but in the evening with dinner, I have a glass no no-cal lemonade – which I know isn’t ‘pure’ but neither am I so that suits me fine!

I do one hours excercise a day and that is walking at a brisk pace with my dog.

As I said, I do really keep an eye on everything I eat during the week, but at weekends we do have treats, like maybe a chilli or nice greek stew with salad and home made potato wedges. I only now use extra virgin olive oil or virgin coconut oil to cook with and I use all low fat/low cal dressings.

I hope something in the above will help you. I’d feel distraught too, if the weight was going on instead of off. Other than that, I wonder perhaps a trip to the docs, would be helpful? The weight should be coming off with what you are doing, slowly maybe, but should still be moving down and not up.

Anyway, wishing you all the best. you’ve come to the right place for support and I’m sure others on here may have some more valuable advice for you.

Tiger

Hi missoptimistic

The things us smokers put ourselves through 🙂 Good to hear you’re losing now. I do think that as smokers we were conned into believing it’s the nicotine that regulates your metabolism. I’m sure now it’s not…it’s something else, cos like you when I gave up the dreaded weed, I didn’t eat more, didn’t gorge on naughty stuff and was more than miffed when the weight piled on…hey-ho!

Anyway, well done on the weight loss. Slowly, slowly catchee monkey! 😉

The good thing about this diet, or way of life is that if you do crash and burn one week, you can usually rectify it the next. My hardest thing to keep away from is my beloved red wine, but then, getting into jeans I couldn’t a few months ago has made up for that. Oh yesssss!

Wishing you continued success

Tiger

Hi Tiger,
    Thanks for your words of encouragement. 🙂 Yes we have been fooled into believing alot of myths regarding the dirty smokes! Thank our lucky stars that we all made the wise decision to jump off that bandwagon.
    I am truly struggling today on my fast. I had soup for lunch with 2 crackers (200 cals). Have had 4 cups tea with splash of milk and sweeteners. However ive just read that I shouldnt be drinking anything with calories between my lunch and dinner. For this reason and to save me from ruining my fast completely, ive opted not to have anything else for the rest of the evening. Oh I sound like im so hard done by, lol. Its just that Im soooooo hungry! Think it will be a really early night for me! :).
    Hope everyone is doing well today. X

Oh btw Tiger, red wine a BIG weakness for me too! What Id give for a big glass right about now! 😉

Hi there Tiger and missoptimistic
    Thank you so much for your response.
    I also use the vape tanks with the clearomiser. I use a combo of American REd 36g (the nearest think to a Marlboro I could find!) and sometimes put in a bit of Menthol or Coffee – both 24g.

I gave up the Marlboro about a year to the day after I started the 5:2. I log on MFP, so I know that I wasn’t eating any more than before. The vaping stopped me having food cravings and all would have been wonderful if the weight hadn’t started creeping up – about a pound a month … and I was exercising more in an effort to combat the weight gain. And I did the 4:3 as well.

So, by two weeks ago I was 10 lbs up. I felt really low, but I never considered giving up the 5:2 – although I did wonder if having the odd Marlboro might help! I’ve done some research on e-juice and it contains propylene glycol. I posted in various vaping forums but didn’t get anything useful back. (This is all over the past few months). So – last weekend I was feeling really down as I had done the 4:3 the previous week and when I weighed I had gained 4 lbs. I decided to cut out carbs and sugar.

So, last Monday I started what is virtually Phase 1 of the Atkins …. combined with the 5:2. No carbs or sugar – not even fruit. Finally – my weight has started to go down. I’ve been eating salads, green veg, fish, some cheese, walnut oil, balsamic vinegar, herbs …. and have never felt hungry. I’m continuing with this next week and will then introduce some berries and Greek yoghurt.

I ate very little bread anyway – but did eat wraps sometimes and had cake and biscuits every so often. my weakness was dark chocolate. I could have all this on the 5:2 and maintain my target weight. Since giving up smoking I have to accept that I also have to cut back drastically on carbs and sugar. So – I can do without the bread, the wraps, biscuits, cake, pasta etc etc … but I will eventually have to have some chocolate.

I am now cautiously optimistic and hope that my weight will continue to drop. While the weight loss was an added bonus to the 5:2 health benefits, I really did not want to get back up to the weight that I was when I started in January 2013 …. and two weeks ago, it was looking like a possibility …..

Good luck to you two fellow ex-smokers. I hope you are continuing to do well xx

I’ve done a good bit of research into this over the years, and from I understand is that cigarettes are an appetite suppressant and nicotine causes a decrease in caloric absorption. So theoretically switching to vaping, and still having the nicotine wouldn’t cause an increase in weight, right? Nope. Not that I’ve noticed.

When I first started vaping last year (last November to be exact) I gained twenty pounds by April – I go to the gym just about every day, I keep a calorie tracker, I watch my diet – I still gained twenty pounds. I started smoking again and the weight came off, by July the twenty pounds were gone with no change to my routine other than smoking cigarettes. I started back on the vape last month and now the weight is creeping back on. Over the past two weeks I’ve gained three pounds, and that’s after stepping up my workout routine and becoming even stricter on my diet.

Well then I noticed that my juice started coming with a label warning diabetics about blood sugar increase. Did a little more research – vg, vegetable glycerine, is also a natural sweetener (think something like stevia) – it’s literally a type of sugar. It has calories, it is metabolized as glucose.

So I’m personally beginning to wonder if the vg is causing the weight gain…it’s putting more sugar therefore more calories into the body. It’s like sitting around and puffing on candy all day. Cigarettes don’t have any sweeteners added to them.

That’s just my pet theory on it, only because it’s something I’ve noticed that’s occurred twice now with e-cig use.

Hi ZoeKallisti

Wow, you’ve done a lot of research into e-cigs – so much stuff I didn’t know. I use a 40pg/60vg liquid and have managed to get rid of some more weight…Perhaps it’s just a case of what suits one, doesn’t suit another? I don’t know. All I do know is that it’s rotten when you put on weight not thinking you will!
    Since my last post I’ve had a couple of bomb-out weekends (husband diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes – so it’s been all about him recently!) but have managed to get back properly and lost another 3 pounds…but my diet has been very strict because now I can’t bear to eat something my husband is no longer allowed 🙁

I hope you’ve managed to find a suitable level and the weight is coming off for you again without having to resort to smoking the ciggies again? I know it’s so upsetting to put on weight, but maybe you’re building some muscle with your excercise?

Wish there was something else I could say…Best wishes and best of luck.

Tiger

ps; could you be a bit sneaky and do half/half with ciggies and vaping? Have you tried that?

Marielaem

So pleased to read that you have found your ‘balance’ in what is working for you. Maybe you just needed that big kick-start to get the ball rolling for you. What helped me a lot was not eating breakfast – regardless of what it was, becuase I was always hungry again by about 10.30 or 11 so as soon as I got rid of that, again things evened out.

I’m sure once you’re into your routine and the weight is coming off as you want it to, then you’ll be able to indulge in your dark chocolate. 🙂

Life’s never easy, is it?

All the best

Tiger

Hi Tiger:

Re your husband and Type 2 diabetes.

This information has been posted in several threads, but you may not have noticed it. Dr. Fung is reversing Type 2 with IF. This ‘mini’ series has 4 videos. Two are ‘results’, one is an outline with results and one is a more detailed explanation for doctors. There are more, detailed, posts by Dr. Fung (also posted on threads) that go much deeper into the process and why it works. http://intensivedietarymanagement.com/category/lectures/type-2-diabetes-lecture-series/

Also, PVE’s husband has reversed his diabetes with IF.

If your husband is interested, he might be able to get rid of his Type 2 in a month or so.

Good Luck!

Hi Simcoeluv

No, I haven’t seen any of that, but I can’t say how grateful I am to you for taking the time to post about it. I have copied my husband in and we will devour all of the info. TBH we are floundering around at the moment, although we are (I use the royal we here) losing weight with low carb and all of the great info on this forum. I’ve also given him a jolly good smack of couple of times…just to bring him into line, you understand 🙂

Again thanks for the link. So appreciated. Last time I looked on the Diabetes 2 thread, some lovely ladies were having a great chat and I really didn;t want to ask something that had probably already been asked.

Thank you

Kind regards

Tiger

I’m still doing the 5:2 and the weight is not coming off – it’s a real struggle to curtail the gain. Have any of you heard of sugar free vape juice?

Xx

I feel your pain. After starting again towards the end of last year I stopped 6 weeks ago and am 8lbs up. I look 9 months pregnant – when does the weight gain level off? I cannot remember from the last time I stopped – I never lost that weight actually so you can imagine how heavy I am now 🙁 really would love some light at the end of the tunnel. Running 40-50 miles per week as in mararthon training and still gaining even though I am not overeating and doing low carb

Depressing, isn’t it? I’m still doing the 5:2 and wonder if it would make any difference if I tried giving up vaping. Which might send me back to real cigs!

Your posts are really interesting. There must be something specific about a smokers metabolism (or maybe there is some unconscous overeating on non-fast days to make up for egics being less satisfying). My husband is a long time smoker and took up ecigs a year ago. I started 5:2 7 months ago. The beginning was really hard going. So I actually went with him and got myself my own low nicotine one. I have never been a smoker so the ecig was a fantastic appetite suppressant for me. It’s how I trained myself to the diet at first. I have become accustomed to the fasting now and gave up the ecig. However, I actually lost the most weight when I was using it though. My husband is not on the diet but is forced to have healthier dinners with me. He did not lose anything for the first 5-6 months I was on the diet but he recently took back up real cigarettes (grrr…) and suddenly dropped almost twenty lbs (boy am I bitter). I think the real cigarettes satisfy in a way that egics can’t for a real smoker. I noticed that when he was just doing the ecigs he craved snacks and sweet things more. I can’t imagine the will power required to give up smokes and food at the same time. So my admiration to those of you who are attempting to do both and truly are adopting a healthier way of living.

Thank you! I don’t intend to give up the 5:2 as there are so many health benefits, but the only reason I can think of for my weight gain is that I no longer smoke real cigarettes. I exercise, I walk a lot and I don’t eat junk food. The weight is creeping up – and believe me, I’m fighting hard. I really am wondering if trying even one real cigarette a day might do something!

I started off wanting to lose 9 lbs or so and lost 17 fairly quickly on the 5:2. I maintained easily ….. and now, 13 months after giving up, I am about 4 lbs under the weight I started at. Luckily, I wasn’t obese – I started at 135 lbs. I’m only 5’4″ and I don’t want to put on more weight. So the odd cigarette might start to creep in!

Interesting that your husband didn’t lose weight while he was on the ecig.

I guess I should add that although the ecig helped me to lose weight, as a non-smoker, I was not using it very much. I would use it at a maximum of 3 times per day with only a few puffs. A small amount of nicotine had an immediate effect and the flavour (ice mint) was almost like having candy. So the earlier theory that someone proposed that egics might be the equivalent of inhaling sugar could really be true. Though I hope this news doesn’t send you back to real cigarettes, Marielaem. Having seen my husband try to give up smoking and relapse over and over again, I hope you choose a small amount of weight gain now knowing that it can’t last forever. I’ve read that it can take a few months for a smoker’s metabolism to return to normal, so combine that with possibly inhaling calories…it might take some time to stabilize. I still think it’s worth quitting the cigarettes. For my husband it seems to follow the same pattern every time he relapses…it starts as “I just have a few when I’m out with the guys”…then this becomes “I’m only having one a day”….then suddenly he right back where he started and full-on smoking everyday (just like me and dieting). It breaks my heart each time…I’d rather have him here with me and a little bigger than to lose him altogether. I’m sure you have people in your life that feel that way about you too. Good luck with it!

Well, it’s been 13 months now, and no sign of an improvement. Also, I don’t go for sweet ecig flavours – just the nearest thing to Marlboro I can find. I used to add a little menthol sometimes, but I’ve stopped that now.

I like the ecig, but should my clothes get too tight I’ll be having a rethink. I couldn’t go back to full time smoking – too expensive!

xx

I think the earlier poster’s theory about calories in vaping was to do with the glycerin base and not the flavouring:( Again…I have no idea if that’s true…but a quick online search I did came up with a bunch of people who say they gained weight when they switched to vaping.

Only you can decide what’s right for you. I had a lot of people who were upset I started ecigs in order to lose weight (they have their own potential health issues but I have to think they are better than real cigarettes). For me, in the beginning I tipped the scales into the obese category…so the potential harm of nicotine seemed a lesser evil. I also hear a lot of crap about doing 5:2 (actually 4:3 for me now)…people still constantly want to tell me how unhealthy it is. All I know is that I am no longer even considered overweight and went from high blood pressure to 90/60. So you need to find the balance that works for you.

Have you considered the nicotine patch? I actually tried that one to lose weight years ago but as a non-smoker it made me incredibly sick. They don’t really come in a low dose…but should be completely calorie free!

Congratulations on your weight loss and improvement in health. (some) people who don’t do the 5:2 really do preach about its evils, don’t they? In fact, I don’t broadcast that I’m doing it. I got interested in it via a non-overweight cousin who started it after seeing Dr Moseley’s documentary on TV. I’d broken my arm – it was January 2013 – and couldn’t get to the gym and I watched the documentary and started.

Both my parents have had colon cancer and there is a history of heart disease in my father’s family. I have no signs of either so far, but I see the 5:2 as extra insurance.

I think I’ll do some more research into ejuice. Maybe there is a low cal version out there. The thing is, I never wanted to give up smoking – I like it! I thought that ecigs were a good alternative … but ….. There’s always a but!

I have listened this thing about cigarettes first time. I think this is your perception about E-Cigarettes. I am vaping e-cigarettes for many years and I have never seen condition like this.

Hey,
    I’m sorry to hear about your struggle. I have been researching this and have you ever had your thyroid levels checked? It seems that it’s common for ex smokers to develop hypothyroid after quitting – which is an awful double whammy for us! From what I understand it settles a bit after time so hopefully you saw some good results. I have also personally found from weight lifting working out etc it seems you do similar that when I have a day of eating loads and loads of carbs I have what seems like an overnight drop in body fat and look a million times leaner – I hope this helps – from the date of your post you might have already had some positive changes if not good luck xx

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply.