Decrease in Metobolism from fasting?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Benefits and side effects
Decrease in Metobolism from fasting?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sar1982 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Hi there

I am so confused as to whether to do the 5:2 diet or not. When i was younger i tried all the diets under the sun and many years now I have not dieted. i have eaten healthily, kept within my 1500 kcals a day ( if gone over it was during marathon training and that was because I had run a very long way) but all in all have maintained a good weight. However pre Christmas I was ( i thought a happy weight to which I could reduce say a few pounds and feel really really great, but there was no pressure). Post Christmas I have gained and I am not exercising regularly at the mo due to a back injury. i know that its about 80:20 – Diet:exercise, so this is why I am considering doing this. I did try one day last week and found only eating the 500kclas ok and if got hungry drank a herbal tea, but it was the headache and then the awful sleep that night that put me off. I teach a HIT class on a Monday nigth so dont think i can fast that day then pilates on a tuesday – where i usually get really light headed in that class anyway and then want to start Yoga with a friend on a Thursday and wish to run another day. As you can see i’m confused about what day to fast ( when to squeeze it in as I got such horrible headachs) and further more so so so worried about ruining my metabolism.

Years of it being so low and to now having got it up ( i think through muscle and eating right ) I’m scared to jepodise it, stop the 5:2 diet and then put it all back on

Any comments and thoughts and experiences are so welcomed here as I’m rather confused

Sarah x

Your metabolism is a measure of how many calories your body needs to support everyday function and your lifestyle. It is impossible to ruin it. The less you weigh the less calories you need so the number decreases in line with weight loss. Many people have read about starvation mode and are concerned but you would have to eat nothing at all for many days for that to occur.
    If you get headaches on fast days try drinking more, we get the majority of the fluid we need from our food so need to drink much more than we think necessary on fast days. You could also have something like Bovril or if you don’t care for it take a pinch of salt with a glass of water something tht I find helps if I get a headache.

I don’t have problems sleeping on a FD but I only eat dinner which might be why.

I’m not sure what you mean regarding 80:20, maybe you could explain further.

HI Amazon

Apologies when i say 80:20, its with reference to its about 80% of what we do with our diet and 20% exercise that contributes to how we look/ weigh/ losing weight etc. There is a misconception ( i learnt very early on during marathon training ) that if you run lots and lots and say burn 2000 calories it doesn’t mean you can go and eat the 2000 cals you think you have burnt, on top of your daily ( or say restricted 1500 calories per day)

Thank you for your clarification on the above. As I say I am so scared to jepodise all the hard work I seem to have achieved over the last couple of years. I just want to shed about half stone -9lbs more then I will be there.

Its mainly clothes and knowing that when I put something on its not going to be tight. Plus I go on holiday in May with a group of friends. It will be after a long bike ride challenge I am doing on 14th May, but i want to ensure that I can feel confident in my bikini.

x

Thanks, I inderstand now 😊

For me, fasting is what I do for weight loss and the amount of exercise I do is for fitness and toning along with the fact that it feels good!

Good luck and relax, you won’t undo your hard work by following 5:2.

Thank Amazon, I think I’ll give it another go again tomorrow and then Friday and if all being well I may try Mondays and Wednesday and hopefully push through to take my class on the Monday evening and eat afterwards. I must say when I did the one day last week, I slept terrible as i kept waking up but the next morning I did feel so much less bloated and I really enjoyed my evening meal and had has 2 boiled eggs in the day and a cupa soup and a rice cake, so I didn’t feel like I hadn’t not eaten.

Thanks again for your comments.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.