Dealing with stomach acid

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  atcgirl 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• I’ve been doing 5:2 since September 2015. I had to go to my GP with severe stomach and lower abdominal pains the other day and she diagnosed an excess of acid in my gut and prescribed omeprazole for a month. She said it was likely being caused by a combination of stress and going too long between meals (I’ve never mentioned 5:2 to her).

The stress should go by the end of Feb when my wedding is over. But I am prone to stress generally. I REALLY want to keep doing 5:2, it’s the only diet I’ve ever been able to stick to – I’ve only got half a stone to lose to get to my goal weight, but then I also want to do 6:1 for the rest of my life for the health benefits (I’ve got a few reasons to fear cancer!). On fast days I’ve been going all day on just one or two cups of tea (no sugar) and then eating the rest of my calories at my evening meal. If I eat during the day I get too hungry.

I think maybe I should try and stick to pure protein snacks during the day? It would give my stomach acid something to work on, and unlike carbs, shouldn’t give me hunger pangs? Or should I quit the diet altogether?

Anyone got any suggestions?

I am fully aware that you can eat whatever you like during the day on 5:2 as long as you keep within your calorie limit – but for me this means I get too hungry and don’t actually lose any weight. I only started losing weight and not going mad from hunger when I didn’t eat all day.

I have some heavy whipping cream and a bit of coconut oil (mix in blender) in my coffee in the morning. Similar to bulletproof coffee or Wild Diet fatty coffee, under 100 calories, really yummy and gives you good energy but I do not use expensive ingredients.

I sip on that throughout the day (may have more than 1 cup) and it keeps hunger down and then just eat a small meal at night. Some people say that just having fats doesn’t break the fast (or puts you in a ‘fat fast’) since there aren’t carbs & proteins for your body to process. Has worked for me on 5:2 – I like it enough I drink it every morning.

Thanks 🙂 I was wondering about just fat too. Although bullet proof style coffee isn’t an option because I get really bad coffee breath and my colleagues would hate me 🙁

Your body will process consumed fats prior to stored fats. Fats consumed while fasting isn’t an optimum way to do things. However that being said I’m a firm believer in doing what works for you. Everyone is different and we know or should know how our bodies work best for us.

@ atcgirl – I do not think it’s ok that you never mentioned to your doctor you are doing the diet…but this is your decision after all. Hope you feel better now.
    QuietOne has said it very well.

I also started IF (4:3) at the end of September and just after Christmas started having similar pains from gas and stomach issues. I’m happy to say that it has now passed. For me, I was still eating too much on feed days. My body didn’t really seem to like dealing with processed foods as much. But changing my diet to good fat, proteins and veggies and sticking with the IF pushed me through it. Glad it’s over! It was no fun. Good luck getting to goal. You are so close!

@molliep – my bad wording, I mentioned it after she stated it as a possible cause – my point was that she’s probably right considering that she suggested the exact thing I’ve been doing, without first knowing. She obviously said that fasting isn’t for me – but I feel that two low calorie days with regular snacks are still an option for me. It’s just finding something that keeps my stomach happy and doesn’t make me starving hungry.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.